/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Being a Muslim ?

AnonymousPoster
02-25-2008, 01:40 PM
Do you have to agree will all aspects of Islam to be a Muslim ?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
02-25-2008, 02:34 PM
in order to be a muslim you got to accept that Allah is one and Muhammad sallallahi alaihi wasallaam is his messenger.

you should accept all aspects of aqeedah at-tahawi and accept the sunnah of the messenger sallallahi alaihi wasallaam.

hope that helped

AnonymousPoster
02-25-2008, 05:26 PM
I accept that Allah is our god, and there is only 1 Allah and I believe and accept that prophet Muhammad was his messenger

But there is some aspects of Islam I cannot get to terms with therefore I do not agree with them, so can I still be Muslim ?

Vedad
02-25-2008, 06:11 PM
Why don't you tell us which parts that are? maybe we can explain it inshaAllah.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Whatsthepoint
02-25-2008, 06:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender
I accept that Allah is our god, and there is only 1 Allah and I believe and accept that prophet Muhammad was his messenger

But there is some aspects of Islam I cannot get to terms with therefore I do not agree with them, so can I still be Muslim ?
Do you believe the Quran is the infallible word of God?

AnonymousPoster
02-25-2008, 11:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
Do you believe the Quran is the infallible word of God?
sorry can you tell me what you mean by infallible ?

qassy!
02-26-2008, 12:06 AM
Why dont you tell us what part of Islam you do not agree with ?

snakelegs
02-26-2008, 03:22 AM
who gets to define what is a muslim?
i thought it was pretty simple:
the 5 (some say 6) basic beliefs and the practice of the 5 "pillars"?
after that, isn't it just a matter of dispute and factionalism?

anonymous
02-26-2008, 08:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim

you should accept all aspects of aqeedah at-tahawi

hope that helped
what do u mean? why this one in particular?

IbnAbdulHakim
02-26-2008, 09:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
what do u mean? why this one in particular?
assalamu alaikum

it is accepted by the majority of the scholars of ahlus sunnah as the correct aqeedah.

------
02-26-2008, 09:47 AM
:salamext:

You have to believe in Allaah and His Messenger, and what they said. Even if u dont believe one word, ur not called a Muslim, from what I know.

anonymous
02-26-2008, 09:57 AM
assalamu alaikum

it is accepted by the majority of the scholars of ahlus sunnah as the correct aqeedah.
sorry bro, can u please explain. erm...i know it seems real simple, but why dont we just accpet the aqeeah like how jibrel, exlained it to the prophet in the hadith as opposed to this aqeedah at-tahawiyyah thingee :? :thankyou:

MinAhlilHadeeth
02-26-2008, 11:11 AM
aqeedah at-tahawi basically outlines the teachings of the prophet sallallahi alaihi wasallaam in regards to the correct beliefs whilst the hadith of jibreel only covers certain aspects, whilst others remain.

Assalamu Alaikum

Akhee, I think you are confusing two things. What it means to be a Muslim, and what it means to be upon al-firqatun naajiyah wal-mansoorah (the saved and victorious sect). Not everyone who deviates in 'aqeedah is a kaafir. Some deviations are bid'ah, and not kufr or shirk. Besides, 'aqeedatut-tahawiyyah is so simple that it can easily be misinterpretted by those who wish to.

I wouldn't advise anyone to follow that link for various reasons. The main one being that the partisans on that website follow an 'aqeedah which is incorrect, and not inline with the consensus of the companions and the Salaf in general. Ther are really good explanations of 'aqeedatut-tahawiyyah by great Scholars such Ibn Abil-'Izz al-Hanafee.

:wasalamex

IbnAbdulHakim
02-26-2008, 11:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Faizah

Akhee, I think you are confusing two things. What it means to be a Muslim, and what it means to be upon al-firqatun naajiyah wal-mansoorah (the saved and victorious sect). Not everyone who deviates in 'aqeedah is a kaafir. Some deviations are bid'ah, and not kufr or shirk. Besides, 'aqeedatut-tahawiyyah is so simple that it can easily be misinterpretted by those who wish to.

I wouldn't advise anyone to follow that link for various reasons. The main one being that the partisans on that website follow an 'aqeedah which is incorrect, and not inline with the consensus of the companions and the Salaf in general. Ther are really good explanations of 'aqeedatut-tahawiyyah by great Scholars such Ibn Abil-'Izz al-Hanafee.

Yeah Ali At-tamimi was saying that today in his lecture "ghuraba - firqatun najiyaa",

but to be a muslim you do need to accept every sahih hadith and quranic ayyat right?

jizakAllaah khair, edited post above

Assalamu Alaikum

MinAhlilHadeeth
02-26-2008, 11:30 AM
Yeah Ali At-tamimi was saying that today in his lecture "ghuraba - firqatun najiyaa",

but to be a muslim you do need to accept every sahih hadith and quranic ayyat right?

jizakAllaah khair, edited post above

Assalamu Alaikum

JazakAllaah khayr for editing out the link.

Ofcourse you need to accept all of the ayaat, and the authentic sunnah. But with regards to ahaadeeth, if a person rejects the hadeeth because they believe it's inauthentic (like some muhaditheen differ over the authenticity of ahaadeeth), then they are not kuffaar. I'm speaking generally here, and not about specific situations.

So to the questioner, yes you have to accept all of Islaam in order to be a Muslim.

Ibn Taymiyyah mentioned in al-Furqaan bayna Awliyaa ar-Rahmaan wa awliyaa ash-shaytaan;

"there are among those who accept the message of Muhammad generally externally, some who hold beliefs internally which invalidate their apparent acceptance of Islam, and as such are hypocrites. Such claim for themselves and for others like them that they are the allies (awliyaa') of Allah in spite of their hidden, internal kufr or rejection of that which the Prophet brought to us - either out of rebelliousness or ignorance, just as many of the Jews and Christians believe that they are the allies of Allah. They may also believe that Muhammad is the Prophet of Allah, but they say: "He was sent to other than the Jews and the Christians, and it is not obligatory upon us to follow him because we have already been sent prophets before him. All of these are disbelievers (kuffar), even though they believe that their group are allies of Allah. The allies of Allah are only those who Allah has described as possessing His wilaya:

[Verily the allies of Allah will have no fear upon them, nor shall they grieve - those who believe and have taqwa of Allah.]
Qur'an 10/62-63

Belief (imaan) of necessity entails belief in Allah, His angels, His books, His Prophets, and the Last Day. The believer believes in every prophet whom Allah has sent, every book which Allah has revealed, as Allah said:

[Say: We believe in Allah and in that which has been sent to us and in that which was sent to Ibrahim and Isma'il and Is-haq and Ya'qub and the Tribes, and that which was given to Musa and 'Isa and that which was given to the prophets from their Lord. We do not differentiate between any of them, and we submit to Allah. And so, if they believe in that in which you believe, they have achieved guidance, but if they turn away, they are surely in rebellion. Allah will suffice you against them, and He is the all-hearing, the all-knowing.]
Qur'an 2/136-137

[The Prophet has believed in that which was sent to him from his Lord as have the believers. All of them believe in Allah, His angels, His books, and His messengers. We do not differentiate between any one of His messengers, and they say: "We hear, and we obey. Your forgiveness, our Lord, to You is the end of all things. * Allah does not emburden any soul except with that which is within his ability. To it is (the good of) what it earned, and upon it is (the bad of) what it earned. Our Lord, do not hold us responsible if we forget, or make a mistake. Our Lord, and do not put on us burdens as were placed on those who came before us. Our Lord, and do not put on us that which we have no power over. And over look for us (our sins), and forgive us, and have mercy on us, You are our Guardian and Protector, so give us victory over the people who reject faith.]
Qur'an 2/285-286

[Alif Laam Meem * This is the book in which there is no doubt, a guidance for those who are pious. * Those who believe in the unseen, establish the prayer, and spend out of what we have provided for them. * Those who believe in that which was sent down to you and that which was sent down to those before you, and have certainty of faith in the existence of the hereafter. * Such are on true guidance from their Lord, and such are the successful.]
Qur'an 2/1-5

Thus, a necessary component of faith (imaan) is to believe that Muhammad (sas) is the seal of the prophets, that there is no prophet after him, and that Allah sent him to all of the two possessors of free will: humans and jinns. Anyone who has not believed in that which he brought is not a believer, much less a pious ally of (waliy) of Allah. Whoever believes in part of what he brought and rejects part is a kafir (disbeliever), and is not a believer. Allah said:

[Those who disbelieve in Allah and His prophets and seek to differentiate between Allah and His prophets, and they say: "We believe in some and we reject some" and they seek to strike a path between that. Such are the true disbelievers, and we have prepared for the disbelievers a humiliating punishment. As for those who believed in Allah and his prophets, and sought not to differentiate between any of them, these Allah will give their reward, and Allah is forgiving, merciful.]
Qur'an 4/150-152"

In order to truly believe in Allaah and His Messenger, you need to affirm everything that they commanded us to believe.

IbnAbdulHakim
02-26-2008, 11:48 AM
^ jizakAllaah khair, i was looking for that criteria of ibn taymiyyah rahimahullah for ages, please link me if you have it.

Assalamu Alaikum

MinAhlilHadeeth
02-26-2008, 11:55 AM

Al-Hamdulillaah, it has been uploaded on to the forum:

http://www.islamicboard.com/aqeedah/...ies-devil.html

For an actual copy in the English language, I recommend this one:

Some aspects of the book may be hard to understand, like the excerpts on Qadr, but I think this transcript of one of shaykh 'Uthaymeen's lectures breaks it down in an easy-to-understand manner:

http://al-ibaanah.com/ebooks.php?EID=22

IbnAbdulHakim
02-26-2008, 12:10 PM
^ i dont really recommend reading a book without listening to lectures regarding the same topic to be honest... well i never do that anyway, i think it can lead to confusion, having a sheikhs words to hear explaining a topic is best inshaAllaah.

and i kno there are plenty of lectures regarding that book

jizakAllaah khair for link

Assalamu Alaikum

anonymous
02-28-2008, 08:34 AM
akhee, looks like the posts have been edited, but why cant 'aqeedat ul-waastiyyah' by ibn taymiyyah, rahimahllah be used, too. you were saying something like this is the only one that acceptable by ahl us-sunaah....
yeah, no?
are u confused? lol

IbnAbdulHakim
02-28-2008, 10:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
akhee, looks like the posts have been edited, but why cant 'aqeedat ul-waastiyyah' by ibn taymiyyah, rahimahllah be used, too. you were saying something like this is the only one that acceptable by ahl us-sunaah....
yeah, no?
i dunno, i always thought aqeedah at-tahawi is the foremost aqeedah and the most correctly upon the way of the salaf? due to it being closer to them..

are u confused? lol

just a bit, not too much dont worry about it :)

Assalamu Alaikum

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.