PDA

View Full Version : Nike company {Please Ban it}



Huma*
02-28-2008, 02:36 PM
Dear Brothers & Sisters

:sl:

I am one of the large numbers of Muslims who were hurt by Nike's ad which shows Muslims prostrating to a woman in one of their brand jeans. I will remind you of what the Company Nike did to Muslims when they portray the name of Allah on one of their sports shoes.

The Result was that Malaysia ,Indonesia and the Gulf states including Saudi Arabia stopped importing Nike products. If you look carefully you will find That it was after that incident that Nike began to report earnings less than expected on the Wall Street which caused their stock price to tumble.

The stock price has not Recovered yet. Check it for yourselves. Please pass this message to as many muslims as you can.

:w:
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
qassy!
02-29-2008, 12:56 AM
Salam

Firstly I where nike, my t-shirt, jogging bottoms and trainers are Nike that I am wearing Nike

You creating threads like this is NOT going to "ban" Nike, and ill carry on wearing Nike stuff because they make a good quality products and Nike dont make jeans btw



So whats this all about?? How ar being against Islam? Enlighten me!

EDIT: Malaysia ? lol Nike manufacture some of thee products over there !
Reply

qassy!
02-29-2008, 01:08 AM
Originally Posted by Siddiqua

The stock price has not Recovered yet.
You cannot tell by the stock market you know because the economy is bad atm

ALSO

BEAVERTON, Ore., Dec 19, 2007 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- NIKE, Inc. (NYSE:NKE) today reported financial results for the second quarter ended November 30, 2007. For the quarter, revenue grew 14 percent to $4.3 billion, compared to $3.8 billion for the same period last year. Changes in currency exchange rates increased revenue growth by 4 percentage points for the quarter. Second quarter net income grew 10 percent to $359.4 million, compared to $325.6 million in the prior year and diluted earnings per share increased 11 percent to $0.71, versus $0.64 last year
Nike are doing well :)
Reply

*Hana*
02-29-2008, 02:45 AM
Originally Posted by Siddiqua
Dear Brothers & Sisters

:sl:

I am one of the large numbers of Muslims who were hurt by Nike's ad which shows Muslims prostrating to a woman in one of their brand jeans. I will remind you of what the Company Nike did to Muslims when they portray the name of Allah on one of their sports shoes.

The Result was that Malaysia ,Indonesia and the Gulf states including Saudi Arabia stopped importing Nike products. If you look carefully you will find That it was after that incident that Nike began to report earnings less than expected on the Wall Street which caused their stock price to tumble.

The stock price has not Recovered yet. Check it for yourselves. Please pass this message to as many muslims as you can.

:w:
I've never seen such an ad and never even heard about it until this thread. As far as the Nike shoes portraying the name of Allah, this has already been proven not to be the case. Although their design could be stretched and somewhat altered to make it appear so, it was definitely not intentional. They also removed the shoes from shelves at an enormous cost to the company. Something they didn't have to do.

So, we have to stop screaming to ban this company and that company, it's getting out of hand. Not everything is a conspiracy. :muddlehea

Wasalam,
Hana
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
Malaikah
02-29-2008, 03:08 AM
:sl:

I've never heard of this ad either...
Reply

Pygoscelis
02-29-2008, 03:29 AM
Originally Posted by Siddiqua
I am one of the large numbers of Muslims who were hurt by Nike's ad which shows Muslims prostrating to a woman in one of their brand jeans. I will remind you of what the Company Nike did to Muslims when they portray the name of Allah on one of their sports shoes.

The Result was that Malaysia ,Indonesia and the Gulf states including Saudi Arabia stopped importing Nike products. If you look carefully you will find That it was after that incident that Nike began to report earnings less than expected on the Wall Street which caused their stock price to tumble.

The stock price has not Recovered yet. Check it for yourselves. Please pass this message to as many muslims as you can.
I am far more concerned about companies (I believe Nike may be one) that employs near-slave labour to manufacture their products.

As for this advert, I'm sorry, but I think you are just looking for excuses to be offended.
Reply

Intisar
02-29-2008, 03:32 AM
Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
I am far more concerned about companies (I believe Nike may be one) that employs near-slave labour to manufacture their products.

As for this advert, I'm sorry, but I think you are just looking for excuses to be offended.
I have to agree with you there. The slave labour and work conditions that Nike has it's poor workers in (in third world countries) are unbelievable, we should be concerned about that too (if not more, then at least as much).

As for the ad, I've never heard of this. Perhaps if you provide an article or something, everyone would be a little less confused.
Reply

*Hana*
02-29-2008, 05:02 AM
salam alaikum:

yup, agreed! I find the slave labour used by some of these companies far more offensive.

Wasalam,
Hana
Reply

Huma*
02-29-2008, 05:12 AM
Originally Posted by Sister-Ameena*
I have to agree with you there. The slave labour and work conditions that Nike has it's poor workers in (in third world countries) are unbelievable, we should be concerned about that too (if not more, then at least as much).

As for the ad, I've never heard of this. Perhaps if you provide an article or something, everyone would be a little less confused.

:sl:

I received that message through email. I have pictures too but I am unable to upload it here although I tried.
yup but fortunately I found a link for u pplz, here you can see the pictures as well.

Well but again there would be a question whether those pictures are fake or genuine. Believe it or not its a different matter.

Here is the link..

http://something-important.blogspot....lz-ban-it.html


:w:
Reply

------
02-29-2008, 08:57 AM
:salamext:

Nike is just another deception of this world. Paying £60 for trainers which you could've brought for £15 without the logo. How STUPID!
Reply

Huma*
02-29-2008, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by AhLÄÄM
:salamext:

Nike is just another deception of this world. Paying £60 for trainers which you could've brought for £15 without the logo. How STUPID!
:sl:

Yea you are right, but some peoples are emotionally attached with these big names. just a name game I guess :sunny:
Reply

qassy!
02-29-2008, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by AhLÄÄM
:salamext:

Nike is just another deception of this world. Paying £60 for trainers which you could've brought for £15 without the logo. How STUPID!
You cant hate a compnay because of the price they charge for there products, I pay £89.99 for Nike trainers, comparing £15 unbranded trainers to Nike. Nike are better.

Originally Posted by Siddiqua
:sl:

I received that message through email. I have pictures too but I am unable to upload it here although I tried.
yup but fortunately I found a link for u pplz, here you can see the pictures as well.

Well but again there would be a question whether those pictures are fake or genuine. Believe it or not its a different matter.

Here is the link..

http://something-important.blogspot....lz-ban-it.html


:w:
Pictures are real
and this happend in 1997


In announcing its first-ever recall, Nike said it will apologize to Muslims and donate a $50,000 playground to an Islamic elementary school in the United States

Many . . . may not understand how offensive it is to have the name of God on a shoe
http://www.enquirer.com/editions/199.../bus_nike.html

Nike recalled the shoe in 1997, why make a thread about it? If I knew about this then I would not feal offended because they made a MISTAKE

Originally Posted by Hana_Aku
I've never seen such an ad and never even heard about it until this thread. As far as the Nike shoes portraying the name of Allah, this has already been proven not to be the case. Although their design could be stretched and somewhat altered to make it appear so, it was definitely not intentional. They also removed the shoes from shelves at an enormous cost to the company. Something they didn't have to do.

So, we have to stop screaming to ban this company and that company, it's getting out of hand. Not everything is a conspiracy. :muddlehea

Wasalam,
Hana

WELL DONE!
Reply

------
02-29-2008, 09:39 AM
:salamext:

^ The people that are attached to things like this are attached to the dunya. Nike, Expensive Cars, Posh Restaurants, etc. These are only the attactions of the dunya. These will PERISH. Why people waste time on these I don't know, or why they are emotionally attached.

I wonder, if people became attached to the Aakhirah and Allaah swt as much attached as they are to these things, then how beautiful would be their Imaan and how beautiful would be the life of their Aakhirah....

Remember brothers and sisters: "Wa mal hayaa tudh dunya illaa maataa ul ghuroor..."

Every soul will taste death. And you will be paid on the Day of Resurrection only that which you have fairly earned. Whoso is removed from the Fire and is made to enter paradise, he indeed is triumphant. The life of this world is but comfort of illusion.
[Qur'aan, Surah 3, Verse 185]
@ brother qassy! - Stop defending the kafir of the dunya! Realise what this world is worth!! Not even a mosquito's wing!! Subhaan Allaah...
Reply

qassy!
02-29-2008, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by Siddiqua
:sl:

Yea you are right, but some peoples are emotionally attached with these big names. just a name game I guess :sunny:
Not really I pay £89.99 for my trainers from nike and they are a good quality product

If you cant afford the price tag or justify it dont hammer the compaines
Reply

------
02-29-2008, 09:42 AM
:salamext:

^ It's not about affording lol. You are too attached to this dunya to see the reality bro. U need to open ur eyes.

Ponder upon this:

Life's a passing, so pass it, dont try building a palace in the middle of a journey, its stupid
Reply

Huma*
02-29-2008, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by AhLÄÄM
:salamext:

^ It's not about affording lol. You are too attached to this dunya to see the reality bro. U need to open ur eyes.

Ponder upon this:

Life's a passing, so pass it, dont try building a palace in the middle of a journey, its stupid

:sl:

:thumbs_up
Reply

guyabano
02-29-2008, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by qassy!
Not really I pay £89.99 for my trainers from nike and they are a good quality product

If you cant afford the price tag or justify it dont hammer the compaines
Quality products are definetely better than fakes or cheap copies/noname fashion. It more looks like those people who complain most are the ones who simply cannot afford them.

Nike said, they apologizied. This affair seems to be back in 1997, so why digging it out again ?

Peace
Reply

Huma*
02-29-2008, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by qassy!
Not really I pay £89.99 for my trainers from nike and they are a good quality product

If you cant afford the price tag or justify it dont hammer the compaines

yup bro sorry to say but, you are twisting this matter.

We need to realize that many things in this worldly life are nets, set up to trap and deceive man hence we are warned to remain alert and cautious. We should not easily be attracted to everything we see in this life. We need to understand and judge what is good and what is bad for us.

The Holy Prophet (saw) has also said,

“The worldly things are like salty water. Every time one drinks (from it) it adds to his thirst”

The above means that the more one becomes attached to worldly things, the more he is dissatisfied and the more he wants to have.

Therefore, sensible and far-sighted is he who refrains from worldly attractions the same way as he runs away from a poisonous snake.


:w:
Reply

------
02-29-2008, 10:16 AM
:salamext:

^ Nice one sis :D :thumbs_up
Reply

Muezzin
02-29-2008, 10:17 AM
Please provide the picture of the advert if you can. Something in the way of evidence would be nice. I'm not saying this because I like Nike (I'm more of an Adidas kind of guy), I'm saying it because without evidence, the premise of this thread sounds very conspiracy theory-ish.
Reply

------
02-29-2008, 10:18 AM
:salamext:

http://something-important.blogspot....lz-ban-it.html

Pictures are on there ^
Reply

Muezzin
02-29-2008, 10:24 AM
I meant the pictures of the jeans. Nobody else seems to have seen the advert, which makes it a little fishy.
Reply

guyabano
02-29-2008, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by Muezzin
I meant the pictures of the jeans. Nobody else seems to have seen the advert, which makes it a little fishy.
*** and a wind of silence is blowing of the thread ***

Peace
Reply

------
02-29-2008, 10:51 AM
:salamext:

I've only seen trainers man sheesh. No need to be rude guyabano. ANyways these logo things are rubbish worldly things.
Reply

guyabano
02-29-2008, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by AhLÄÄM
:salamext:

I've only seen trainers man sheesh. No need to be rude guyabano. ANyways these logo things are rubbish worldly things.
Oh please, show me the part, where I was rude ! I just noticed that nobody has to answer anything anymore after Muezzin asked for some pictures of that jeans.


Peace
Reply

MinAhlilHadeeth
02-29-2008, 11:13 AM
:salamext:

Please post some source for this advert, or the thread will be moved to the recycle bin. There's no need to argue about something that hasn't been confirmed yet.
Reply

Huma*
02-29-2008, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by Faizah
:salamext:

Please post some source for this advert, or the thread will be moved to the recycle bin. There's no need to argue about something that hasn't been confirmed yet.
Originally Posted by guyabano
Oh please, show me the part, where I was rude ! I just noticed that nobody has to answer anything anymore after Muezzin asked for some pictures of that jeans.


Peace
:sl:

Hey no need to blow minds. just read this text carefully you will find your answer.

"I am one of the large numbers of Muslims who were hurt by Nike's ad which shows Muslims prostrating to a woman in one of their brand jeans.

It is clearly mentioned, it was an ad from nike not a brand that shows muslim prostrating to a women. well but i can't give you the exact link of the video that shows this ad.

please do us all a favor, read it carefully before shouting.

JAZAK ALLAH
Reply

*Hana*
02-29-2008, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by Siddiqua
Dear Brothers & Sisters

:sl:

I am one of the large numbers of Muslims who were hurt by Nike's ad which shows Muslims prostrating to a woman in one of their brand jeans. I will remind you of what the Company Nike did to Muslims when they portray the name of Allah on one of their sports shoes.
Salam Alaikum:

The post clearly talks about an ad by Nike that shows Muslims prostrating to a woman in one of their brand jeans. We are asking, "where is this ad?" The shoe portion was an afterthought that no one questioned.

I suspect this was someone sending you wrong information.

Wa'alaikum salam,
Hana
Reply

MinAhlilHadeeth
02-29-2008, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by Hana_Aku
Salam Alaikum:

The post clearly talks about an ad by Nike that shows Muslims prostrating to a woman in one of their brand jeans. We are asking, "where is this ad?" The shoe portion was an afterthought that no one questioned.

I suspect this was someone sending you wrong information.

Wa'alaikum salam,
Hana
:wasalamex

My thoughts precisely. And no one was shouting. :)
Reply

Huma*
02-29-2008, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by Hana_Aku
Salam Alaikum:

The post clearly talks about an ad by Nike that shows Muslims prostrating to a woman in one of their brand jeans. We are asking, "where is this ad?" The shoe portion was an afterthought that no one questioned.

I suspect this was someone sending you wrong information.

Wa'alaikum salam,
Hana
:sl:

I guess they realize their fault or (whatever it could be) and removed it. Also the shoes, they are not in the market now. I can't provide you with that video, sorry. Anywayz, I didn't know it is that much important otherwise before posting this thread,I would have request Nike guys to mail me that ad video, if they still hold it.

The fact is not that right now they are selling their product or showing that mention ad but, I just try to publicize their viewpoint and respect towards Muslims and their emotions.

But I didn't realise there are some gr8 "Nike Fans" here and i am going to hurt their tender emotions.


:w:
Reply

MinAhlilHadeeth
02-29-2008, 12:22 PM
But I didn't realise there are some gr8 "Nike Fans" here and i am going to hurt their tender emotions.
:salamext:

I don't know who that is aimed at, but requesting a source for a post is not akin to shouting, or lashing out because of hurt feelings. It seems you only have a source for the Nike shoes. What about the advert? Where did you hear about it? Did you see the advert yourself? If so, where?
Reply

Huma*
02-29-2008, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by Siddiqua
:sl:

I guess they realize their fault or (whatever it could be) and removed it. Also the shoes, they are not in the market now. I can't provide you with that video, sorry. Anywayz, I didn't know it is that much important otherwise before posting this thread,I would have request Nike guys to mail me that ad video, if they still hold it.

The fact is not that right now they are selling their product or showing that mention ad but, I just try to publicize their viewpoint and respect towards Muslims and their emotions.



:w:
:sl:

Please have a look at this sis. I have already posted my answer...
Reply

*Hana*
02-29-2008, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by Siddiqua
:sl:

I guess they realize their fault or (whatever it could be) and removed it. Also the shoes, they are not in the market now. I can't provide you with that video, sorry. Anywayz, I didn't know it is that much important otherwise before posting this thread,I would have request Nike guys to mail me that ad video, if they still hold it.

The fact is not that right now they are selling their product or showing that mention ad but, I just try to publicize their viewpoint and respect towards Muslims and their emotions.

But I didn't realise there are some gr8 "Nike Fans" here and i am going to hurt their tender emotions.


:w:
You have this all twisted :muddlehea

The "shoe incident" happened 11 years ago. It's done and was proven NOT to be intentional, so please stop creating issues where none exist. As was said earlier, focus on proven issues such as the slave labour used to manufacture some of these products.

You "guess" Nike removed the offensive ad? I'm sorry, but that's not good enough. Maybe you never saw it because it never existed??? :uuh:

Don't label people because you can't provide the proof to back up a statement. What would be the difference if I made statements about you and passed them off as facts. Would you not ask me to prove what I say??

I, for one, am not a Nike fan, but I am a fan of the TRUTH and I don't care of you're a Muslim Jew, Christian, Sikh, Buddhist, Agnostic or Atheist, etc., you can't just make a blanket statement and expect everyone else to jump on the band wagon and start sabre rattling in protest.

Please, THINK before you get upset and defensive towards those trying to help you so you don't fall for this type of thing again.

Wasalam,
Hana
Reply

Huma*
02-29-2008, 12:47 PM
:sl:

Well Well its okay. I seriously apologise for posting this thread here.
Reply

*Hana*
02-29-2008, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by Siddiqua
:sl:

Well Well its okay. I seriously apologise for posting this thread here.
Actually, it's a good lesson for all of us, so no need for sorry. Sometimes we become so passionate about something that we forget to question and double-check everything.

Wa'alaikum salam,
Hana
Reply

MinAhlilHadeeth
02-29-2008, 04:37 PM
:salamext:

Then I suppose this thread doesn't really serve a purpose any more.

Erm... thread closed.

:threadclo
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!