/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim 'role model' Khan defended

Uthman
03-25-2008, 11:19 AM
British boxer Amir Khan was hailed as a "wonderful role model" for British Muslims in a rebuke to a radical preacher who criticised him for wearing the Union Flag.

Exiled preacher Omar Bakri Mohammad told The Sun the boxer was committing a sin and set a bad example to Muslims for showing allegiance to the British flag.

His comments were branded "bizarre" by the Muslim Council of Britain (MCB).

Inayat Bunglawala, assistant secretary general of MCB said: "Amir Khan is a wonderful role model.

"He's a hugely successful boxer, proud of being Muslim and British. I can see why that could upset Omar Bakri, but to hundreds of thousands of British Muslims, Amir Khan is a wonderful role model."

The Commonwealth lightweight title-holder is draped with the Union Flag in photos on his official website and often wears shorts featuring the emblem.

Bakri told The Sun: "Amir Khan is not a good example for Muslims. He wears shorts with the Union Jack. That is a sin. He should not be wearing the flag because sovereignty is for God. His only allegiance should be to the Prophet Mohammed.

"The ideal situation would be to have a Muslim team not registered to any state so he can represent the Islamic community."

Mr Bunglawala said: "Bizarre. These comments are typical of Omar Bakri. He doesn't live in this country and frankly his views are of no concern to British Muslims."

Omar Bakri Mohammad lives in Lebanon after leaving London in 2005.

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Keltoi
03-25-2008, 01:51 PM
I find it a little odd as well. Khan is a British citizen, trained in a British gym, and boxers worldwide represent their nations of birth. Khan belongs to the new generation of British boxers like Ricky Hatton and Haye. Just seems weird to criticize him for representing his country in a global sport like boxing.

------
03-25-2008, 03:51 PM
:salamext:

Bakri told The Sun: "Amir Khan is not a good example for Muslims. He wears shorts with the Union Jack. That is a sin. He should not be wearing the flag because sovereignty is for God. His only allegiance should be to the Prophet Mohammed.
For heavens sake. That's his job. Grow up.

aamirsaab
03-25-2008, 06:31 PM
:sl:
I like Aamir Khan - he's got a great name. If I did weights and had shorter hair, I'd be his doppleganger/spitting image.

I find it funny how Omar Bakri is complaining about Khan being a bad role model. Pot, kettle, black me thinks

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Whatsthepoint
03-25-2008, 10:31 PM
Well, nationalism is a sin isn't it? If Khan is a proud Englishman he is comitting a sin isn't he? And above that, the union jack consists of two crosses, which I believe are not particulary valued in Islam.
And what is the ruling on sportsmen and national anthems?
Is it ok for muslims to wear nothing but shorts?

NoName55
03-26-2008, 01:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
Well, nationalism is a sin isn't it? If Khan is a proud Englishman he is comitting a sin isn't he? And above that, the union jack consists of two crosses, which I believe are not particulary valued in Islam.
And what is the ruling on sportsmen and national anthems?
I see that nothing much has changed here during my 3 month ban! distortions galore as per usual!!
Well, nationalism is a sin isn't it?
NO, Racism and discrimating against those of different tribe/race is a sin.
If Khan is a proud Englishman he is comitting a sin isn't he?
If Nationhood was haraam then we would never have had any khilafats or empires or countries of our own from time of Hazrat Adam Alahisalam to present day.
what is the difference between a gstring and shorts covering one from naval to knees?

PS. Bakri is no more than an ignorant and cursed terrorist who has about as much knowledge of Islam as you and other distorters, resident at LI, do.

Woodrow
03-26-2008, 02:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by NoName55
NO, Racisim and discrimating against those of different tribe/race is a sin.
If Nationhood was haraam then we would never have had any khilafats or empires or countries of our own from time of Hazrat Adam Alahisalam to present day.
Very good points. I had not thought of it in that way. My first impulse was to agree that nationalism is wrong. But, I think that needs to be reexamined.

Racism and discrimination are wrong. But, now I wonder about saying "nationalism is wrong" as a blanket statement.

AvarAllahNoor
03-26-2008, 02:45 AM
Say his name with an asian accent, its says AMERICAAAN (Amir Khan):P:

NoName55
03-26-2008, 02:51 AM
^^ wow! what a great contribution!!! (he must be part of US conspiracy againnst bakri)

AvarAllahNoor
03-26-2008, 02:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by NoName55
^^ wow! what a great contribution!!! (he must be part of US conspiracy againnst bakri)
It was a tongue in cheek comment, don't get your salwar in a twist! :rollseyes

Fishman
03-26-2008, 07:57 PM
There is a difference between being some kind of fanatical nationalist who cares more about his country than God and wearing some shorts with your country's flag on them when competing in a sporting event!

And any nationalist should surely take offense to the idea of wearing your flag on your shorts anyway. It would get sat on and all crumpled and sweaty.
:w:

AvarAllahNoor
03-26-2008, 10:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
There is a difference between being some kind of fanatical nationalist who cares more about his country than God and wearing some shorts with your country's flag on them when competing in a sporting event!

And any nationalist should surely take offense to the idea of wearing your flag on your shorts anyway. It would get sat on and all crumpled and sweaty.
:w:
It's about being proud of the country, a country that allows you the freedom to live and earn here. Even the Quran states you should adbide by the laws of the country you choose to reside in.

Keltoi
03-26-2008, 10:02 PM
Will Khan still be as popular among Muslims when he loses? It happens to all boxers eventually. I ask because I find it interesting how much pressure is put on boxers in particular when they find themselves representing a culture, religion, race, etc. Ricky Hatton must have felt about two-feet tall after his loss to Floyd Mayweather Jr last year.

AvarAllahNoor
03-26-2008, 10:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
Will Khan still be as popular among Muslims when he loses? It happens to all boxers eventually. I ask because I find it interesting how much pressure is put on boxers in particular when they find themselves representing a culture, religion, race, etc. Ricky Hatton must have felt about two-feet tall after his loss to Floyd Mayweather Jr last year.
Prince Naseem was the prodigal boxer, look where he's ended up...

Izyan
03-27-2008, 08:23 PM
Nassem wasn't prodigal he never fought anyone that was worth anything. When he went up against a real boxer he got his clocked cleaned. He had very poor defensive skills. I like British boxers because they are training in the style of Mexican boxers. Tough as nails willing to take 5 shots to land one but because of this style there's no way they could beat Cotto or Mayweather.

Keltoi
03-27-2008, 10:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Izyan
Nassem wasn't prodigal he never fought anyone that was worth anything. When he went up against a real boxer he got his clocked cleaned. He had very poor defensive skills. I like British boxers because they are training in the style of Mexican boxers. Tough as nails willing to take 5 shots to land one but because of this style there's no way they could beat Cotto or Mayweather.
Wasn't it Marco Antonio Barerra that ended the Nassem hype?

Anyway, Mexican boxers also have alot of pressure on them because they carry the whole "Mexican pride" thing with them everytime they enter the ring. It must be stressful to carry the pride of a people on your back everytime you lace up the gloves.

AvarAllahNoor
03-27-2008, 10:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Izyan
Nassem wasn't prodigal he never fought anyone that was worth anything. .
I was never a fan. He was so COCKY, I hate that! :raging:

Izyan
03-28-2008, 01:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
I was never a fan. He was so COCKY, I hate that! :raging:
You have to be cocky to be a boxer but it has to be a guarded cockiness. Many boxers fall into that "Trap Fight". A fight against a lesser but hungrier opponent. They champ tend to take them lightly and either loses or comes real close to losing. If the champ don't have diminishing skills like Roy Jones Jr., he normally destroys the opponent in the rematch.

Izyan
03-28-2008, 01:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
Wasn't it Marco Antonio Barerra that ended the Nassem hype?

Anyway, Mexican boxers also have alot of pressure on them because they carry the whole "Mexican pride" thing with them everytime they enter the ring. It must be stressful to carry the pride of a people on your back everytime you lace up the gloves.
All boxers outside of the US carry the national pride pressure on their back. When Hatton fought Mayweather all of Ireland was backing Hatton. The practically made it a national holiday. Lennox carried the pressure from Britain. Klitchko from the Ukraine. The only boxers that don't carry that pressure is American boxers. I guess it's because our generation grew up dominating boxing that we didn't have that streotypical bad guy, that champion that we just can't get past.

S_87
03-28-2008, 01:29 PM
for the topic for a second

umar bakri hasnt been in the news for a while. this is his way to get into the headlines? and he goes to The Sun?! of all places.

------
03-28-2008, 01:30 PM
:salamext:

^ :lol: ;D

Uthman
03-28-2008, 02:05 PM
Haha!

Yeah; surely he could have exercised a little more of that thing....what's the word now....

class?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.