/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim bus driver who wouldn't remove kufi gets his job back

Uthman
03-26-2008, 09:30 AM
By Ali Zafar, National Post

A York Region bus driver has been reinstated after being suspended for refusing to take off his kufi – an Islamic cap – while on the job.

McGregory Jackman, a newly hired bus driver for York Region’s VIVA transit system, said he was humiliated when an inspector with his contractor, Veolia Transportation Inc., sent him home for donning the kufi at work.

“Just having to walk off the bus by someone telling you you can’t work because of your religious conviction, that was tearing me apart right then and there,” said the 43-year-old father of two, who was suspended for a week without pay.

York Region Transit general manager Don Gordon said Mr. Jackman will be back at work tomorrow, and be compensated for his time off, after discussions today between YRT and Veolia Transportation Inc.

“Mr. Jackman will be permitted to wear his kufi while driving our buses,” he said.

Until now, YRT employees who wanted religious accommodation for their clothing had to get a written statement from religious leaders to prove their faith.

That policy will be revised, Mr. Gordon said. “I believe that the individual can make the request and supply the documentation and it does not necessarily have to come from a cleric ... Our guide is the Ontario Human Rights Code,” he said.

Nadir Shirazi, a diversity consultant who met Mr. Jackman, a convert from Christianity, through his mosque and helped him through his suspension, said organizations such as the YRT need educate themselves on issues of cultural sensitivity so cases like this don’t happen.

“If we’re really talking diversity we should start practising it because York region said we have policies in place for diversity. What happens if you’re a Sikh person, or a Jewish person, or a Hindu person or a Christian, every person is going to have to bring a letter of accommodation?” he said.

Anver Emon, an Islamic law professor at the University of Toronto, said a kufi isn’t obligatory for Muslim men, but it does speak for one’s identity.

“It certainly has the effect in our current climate denoting one’s identity as Muslim. In that sense, we see it culturally becoming very prominent, in the same way that wearing a cross around your neck or a Star of David around your neck is expressive religiously, socially, in a very public way, of one’s identity,” he said.

“I think what’s interesting is whenever we think of religious garb, whether it’s the Sikh turban, or the kufi, when we see them in the public sphere, there is a strong desire to remove them, in a sense to keep them private,” Mr. Emon added.

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
------
03-26-2008, 09:59 AM
:salamext:

Alhamdulillah he got his job back - thats like telling a girl u cant work unless u take ur hijaab off - DO ONE!!

Uthman
03-26-2008, 10:03 AM
I agree!

Btw, the first page of the World Affairs section is pretty much dominated with threads created by my good self.

NoName55
03-26-2008, 10:17 AM
I wonder, since when "kufi" became compulsory part of Islamic dress code?

Is it like sikh turban and Jewish skull cap?

some of these new "Muslims" are actually damaging Muslims rather than helping Islam!!!

BTW. it is NOT thats "like telling a girl u cant work unless u take ur hijaab off". a man's modesty is from his belly button to his knees, his head is Not part of his body that must be covered.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Malaikah
03-26-2008, 10:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by NoName55
BTW. it is NOT thats "like telling a girl u cant work unless u take ur hijaab off". a man's modesty is from his belly button to his knees, his head is Not part of his body that mut be covered.
:sl:

Agreed, you can't compare this to hijab since hijab is an obligation, covering the head for men is not.

Uthman
03-26-2008, 10:55 AM
Yeah, that's a good point actually.

------
03-26-2008, 10:55 AM

Why are you people twisting my meaning man, u know I didn't mean it in that way!!

NoName55
03-26-2008, 11:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AhLÄÄM

Why are you people twisting my meaning man, u know I didn't mean it in that way!!

I think you should know that I'll never, on pupose, twist your words, It is just unfortunate when people I actually like are hurt when I am venting at fakers and pretenders who are out to harm our reputation either through ignorance (nOObs in Islam/the illiterate) or deliberate design (infilterators/temporary muslims)

wa salaam. :)

------
03-26-2008, 11:14 AM

I only meant that people should respect all religions, get me.

Keltoi
03-26-2008, 11:26 AM
A company does have a right to implement a dress code for its employees. I could understand an uproar if the headwear in question was a religious obligation, but from what I gather it wasn't. The main question would be if the bus company prohibited its employees from wearing baseball caps or any form of head covering...if they didn't then this guy was singled out for other reasons...but if they did, then it was only part of company policy.

jzcasejz
03-26-2008, 11:28 AM
JazaakAllaah Khayr, good stuff.

And welcome back Bro NoName!!! :)

IbnAbdulHakim
03-26-2008, 12:28 PM
mashaAllah im proud of the brother.

i hope he gets rewarded for his love of the sunnah

Ameen

NoName55
03-26-2008, 02:05 PM
If bringing hatred, mocking and resentment towards the ummah is "love of Sunnah" I wonder what absolute pit of ignorance is!

BTW. Is there anyone here who knows or cares to know the "DOs and DON'Ts" which are prescibed for a *REAL* Muslim (as opposed to posers) in a non-Muslim country, as regards to blending in to the crowd in times of strife and danger?

Fishman
03-26-2008, 03:19 PM
mashaAllah im proud of the brother.

i hope he gets rewarded for his love of the sunnah

Ameen
Ameen too!
:ws:

NoName55
03-26-2008, 08:39 PM
^^ my reply to your nasty post was deleted as insulting to you because you were cunning enough to change it before being seen by staff. well done.

Salam (Peace) NoName55,

The post that you created in the following thread has been deleted

-----
Post ID: ^^ I am afraid that I do NOT debate with...
Thread: Muslim bus driver who wouldn't remove kufi gets his job back
Reason: insulting.
insulting?

if there were any full time mods, the post that this was a reply to would have been seen (before it got altered)!

in any case is there any thing more insulting than spreading mis-information about islam? opening it up to ridicule over silly innovations and then saying ooh look me poor muslim is not allowed to wear my skull cap, while drawing attention away from real injustice being done to Muslims around the globe?

yeah great idea, forget everything else going on but make a stand on kufi and lets declare "jihad" on English bus companies

Fishman
03-26-2008, 09:07 PM
^^ my reply to your nasty post was deleted as insulting to you because you were cunning enough to change it before being seen by staff. well done.

Salam (Peace) NoName55,

The post that you created in the following thread has been deleted

-----
Post ID: ^^ I am afraid that I do NOT debate with goofy innovators at...
Thread: Muslim bus driver who wouldn't remove kufi gets his job back
Reason: insulting.
insulting?

if there were any full time mods, the post that this was a reply to would have been seen (before it got altered)!

in any case is there any thing more insulting than spreading mis-information about islam? opening it up to ridicule over silly innovations and then saying ooh look me poor muslim is not allowed to wear my skull cap, while drawing attention away from real injustice being done to Muslims around the globe?

yeah great idea, forget everything else going on but make a stand on kufi and lets declare "jihad" on English bus companies
My post was changed because of the 'do not debate with people of innovated beliefs' thing in your signature. I do not consider it being 'cunning' or deciving. It is just what happens when I get angry. I write a long post about why I am angry, and then I change it or not post it at all when I finish the post because I have cooled off or think that it was too harsh and impolite. You just happened to catch it before I decided 'on second thoughts that was too harsh' and changed it.

Spreading misinformation about Islam is insulting. But I (along with everybody else I know) am not a person who considers wearing a skullcap or turban to be spreading misinformation. I won't go into that because it is, as your signature says, debating with people of deviant beliefs.

As for drawing attention away from real injustice, I would disagree with that as well. Most of my posts that complain about things complain about how other Muslims act, e.g. mindless extremism, bad 'science', a general victim complex etc. This has to be the first time on this forum in ages when I complained about the way non-Muslims ('euro-nazi' rightists in particular) treat Islam. What happened to this man is indeed unfair and I would not stand for it either. I don't know anybody who would.

As for Jihad on Buses, since when did I say that?

I bet by the time I've finished this, the topic will be closed...
:w:

Keltoi
03-26-2008, 09:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
My post was changed because of the 'do not debate with people of innovated beliefs' thing in your signature. I do not consider it being 'cunning' or deciving. It is just what happens when I get angry. I write a long post about why I am angry, and then I change it or not post it at all when I finish the post because I have cooled off or think that it was too harsh and impolite. You just happened to catch it before I decided 'on second thoughts that was too harsh' and changed it.

Spreading misinformation about Islam is insulting. But I (along with everybody else I know) am not a person who considers wearing a skullcap or turban to be spreading misinformation. I won't go into that because it is, as your signature says, debating with people of deviant beliefs.

As for drawing attention away from real injustice, I would disagree with that as well. Most of my posts that complain about things complain about how other Muslims act, e.g. mindless extremism, bad 'science', a general victim complex etc. This has to be the first time on this forum in ages when I complained about the way non-Muslims ('euro-nazi' rightists in particular) treat Islam. What happened to this man is indeed unfair and I would not stand for it either. I don't know anybody who would.

As for Jihad on Buses, since when did I say that?

I bet by the time I've finished this, the topic will be closed...
So you assume this guy was forbidden to wear his "cap" because he was Muslim? It doesn't sound like that was the case at all, or did I miss something?

AvarAllahNoor
03-26-2008, 10:05 PM
Small moves result in bigger understanding.

Fishman
03-26-2008, 10:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
So you assume this guy was forbidden to wear his "cap" because he was Muslim? It doesn't sound like that was the case at all, or did I miss something?
He was fired because he wore religious headgear, because they would not accept his word that it was because of religious reasons. It is the same as somebody being fired for wearing hijab or a Sikh turban. The skullcap is not compulsory, I know, but it is still undermining his freedom of religion.

Why isn't wearing hats allowed anyway? I mean, if it said 'use trams' on the front or something, or if it was some kind of gangsta hoody with a baseball cap underneath it I would understand, but anything else just seems a bit strange.

NoName55
03-26-2008, 10:23 PM
It is the same as somebody being fired for wearing hijab or a Sikh turban.
hijab: covering modesty thus obligatory
sikh turban part of sikh religion and oblgatory

skullcap may be part of Judaism but in no way it is Sunnah for Muslims as such it's removal does not equate to removig his hijab or woman's head scarf or a sikh's turban.

All this sorry affair has done is to re-inforce fear of and prejudice against any future applicant with a Muslim name!

Fishman
03-26-2008, 10:29 PM
hijab: covering modesty thus obligatory
sikh turban part of sikh religion and oblgatory

skullcap may be part of Judaism but in no way it is Sunnah for Muslims as such it's removal does not equate to removig his hijab or woman's head scarf or a sikh's turban.

All this sorry affair has done is to re-inforce fear of and predujice against any future applicant with a Muslim name!
I didn't say it was compulsory. People should have the right to do non-compulsory things too.

And I don't know how it inforces fear and prejudice against Muslims. If anything it shows that people are becoming more tollerant...

barney
03-27-2008, 09:19 AM
I'm Glad he got his job back.
What a silly thing to sack him for. He should be able to wear whatever he wants.

------
03-27-2008, 09:24 AM

He should be able to wear whatever he wants.
As long its MODEST lol

Nájlá
03-27-2008, 10:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AhLÄÄM

As long its MODEST lol
exactly

Malaikah
03-27-2008, 01:51 PM

I honestly don't see why he should be allowed to wear it... if the company has a no hats policy (for whatever unfathomable reason) then that should apply for religious hats of a non-obligatory nature...

barney
03-27-2008, 07:56 PM
Well sure, modesty is fine. I personally wouldnt want to get on a bus driven by a big hairy guy wearing just his underpants and some shades.

Uthman
03-27-2008, 08:58 PM
Greetings!

format_quote Originally Posted by barney
I personally wouldnt want to get on a bus driven by a big hairy guy wearing just his underpants and some shades.
But should it be allowed? :X

AvarAllahNoor
03-27-2008, 10:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by barney
Well sure, modesty is fine. I personally wouldnt want to get on a bus driven by a big hairy guy wearing just his underpants and some shades.
Well, as long as he wears his Turban, it's fine...

InToTheRain
03-27-2008, 10:21 PM
Mash'Allah that there are brothers out there that give such importance to Sunnah. he chose it over his job even though he didn't have to... gotta respect that.

format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

I honestly don't see why he should be allowed to wear it... if the company has a no hats policy (for whatever unfathomable reason) then that should apply for religious hats of a non-obligatory nature...
Agreed. Making a mountain hill out of a mole as it seems, although im sure the Brother who is the victim in this case is made to seem unreasonable for not compromising even though no harm is done by wearing it. Of course what it does is encourage Sunnah.

NoName55
03-28-2008, 12:06 PM
Of course what it does is encourage Sunnah.
how does an innovation and stubborn-ness encourage Sunnah?

what next? a driver who happens to be a dervish and demands that he be allowed to stop his bus at intervals so that he can do some headbanging and a twist or 2

or some druid demanding that he should be allowed to wear a dead goat on his head because that is his religion?

or sikh drivers should demand that they should carry swords and kirpans because in india it is part of their dress code?

IbnAbdulHakim
03-28-2008, 12:14 PM
^ EXTREMIST!!!!!

just felt like saying that :D

------
03-28-2008, 12:21 PM

^ @ Bro NONAME he didnt mean it like that...calm down...

All he is doing is giving importance to the sunnah, but i sort of agree, it isnt compulsary so he could've made negotations as not to wear it.

AvarAllahNoor
03-28-2008, 12:48 PM

Or Sikh drivers should demand that they should carry Kirpans because in india it is part of their dress code?
Erm they do carry Kirpans. Buses, Gurdwaras, everywhere in the UK/Canada/USA Etc.

BTW It's not a ''dresscode in india'' It's compulsory as stated by Sikhism!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.