/* */

PDA

View Full Version : New search powers lead Firefox 3

Uthman
03-27-2008, 06:48 PM

Firefox 3 is codenamed 'Gran Paradiso'

The latest version of web browser Firefox will make changes to the way people search for information online, says its developer.

Mozilla has told the BBC's World Service that the new browser has been designed around the importance of search to users.

Firefox 3, currently going through its third stage of beta testing, will offer a combined search and bookmark tool via the url bar.

It will also allow offline working.

Chairman of the Mozilla Foundation Mitchell Baker told BBC World Service's Digital Planet programme:

"It's clear that when people are looking for information on the web, search is the number one activity," she said.

"We've devised ways to bring that power into areas that are closer to your individual life."

'Faster, sleeker'

Typing "cameras", for example, into the url bar, will bring up a list of the sites that the user recently visited that have cameras in their names.

"If you buy shoes, that's all you need to remember - we will use search, as you've come to expect it, to help you find the places that you have been visiting," Ms Baker said.

Firefox use spread quickly from a small group of users

Ms Baker said that other changes have been made that are invisible in terms of look, but will improve overall performance.

"It will be faster, sleeker, and even easier to use," she said.

"In terms of features, we've tried very hard not to bloat the interface but to keep it simple, the way people like it, and to have new things appear when you need them."

The other substantial change will be the ability to do much more offline, with the browser "remembering" key data that is usually lost when an internet connection goes down.

This is designed to allow the user to continue to work when travelling or in remote areas where wireless access is patchy.

Firefox is currently the second most popular browser, although its 12% share is dwarfed by that of Microsoft's Internet Explorer.

It has, however, substantially grown from its launch - first as Phoenix in 2002, then as Firebird, and finally ending up as Firefox in February 2004.

Ms Baker said that when Mozilla issued Firefox 1 they had one staff member, but hundreds working on different aspects of it.

Now they have 150 employees around the world, and "tens of thousands" working on the software.

Mozilla is run as a not-for-profit organisation, and advocate of open source coding.

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Uthman
06-16-2008, 10:02 PM
Help set a world record by pledging to download firefox 3 on June 17th 2008!

http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord

The record will be for the most software downloads in 24 hours! Support your browser people! (unless it's I.E. in which case you should switch to firefox).

:)

Na7lah
06-16-2008, 10:15 PM
i use Opera even though its not that common :p
Firefox i only use it once in a while...

Uthman
06-16-2008, 10:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah421
i use Opera even though its not that common :p
Firefox i only use it once in a while...
Don't worry. It's not too late to change.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Allah's_Student
06-17-2008, 01:37 AM
I am using Firefox right now, and I signed up to download it when it is released from beta tomorrow.

BlissfullyJaded
06-17-2008, 05:38 PM
:sl:

"I love Firefox. Usually it goes hand-in-hand with Defensive Computing, as Firefox is more secure than Internet Explorer. But not today, not with the release of version 3 of Firefox.

Don't install Firefox version 3. Not today. not for a while.

Like all new software, Firefox 3 is best kept at arms length. Version 3 was a long time coming and, no doubt, features lots of new code. At the risk of repeating myself, all new software contains bugs and design flaws. Let the rest of the world debug it for you.

This is not to pick on Firefox or Mozilla. Recently in this blog, I suggested waiting on Windows XP SP3, which turned out, in retrospect, to be the right thing to do. I also suggested holding off on Vista and Leopard when they were new. How long to wait is a matter of opinion. However, waiting rather than rushing, is always the right defensive approach."
Source: Hold off on Firefox version 3

Uthman
06-17-2008, 05:41 PM
Yeah, I just read that. JazakAllah Khayr.

I can't access the mozilla website anyway. I think it's probably dealing with heavy traffic right now. :D

BlissfullyJaded
06-17-2008, 06:50 PM

It's now available... And it looks so pretty, I'm so tempted to download it. Dang.

Uthman
06-17-2008, 07:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jawharah
It's now available... And it looks so pretty, I'm so tempted to download it. Dang.
If you can even access the website, that is! Dang.

Ali.
06-17-2008, 07:31 PM
Is there really that big difference between IE & FF? I tried downloading FF once but it didn't work.

Uthman
06-17-2008, 07:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude™
Downloaded and installed. :D Now, to play...
Wha...? How..?

Oh wait, I'm downloading it now. They cleverly redirected me to the mozilla-europe website where there is not as much traffic. :D

It's meant to be 4 - 5 times faster than it was previously. Can you confirm that for me Alpha?

:w:

Ali.
06-17-2008, 07:34 PM
I hate one feature already. When you type a letter into the address field, it shows a big ugly drop down. :enough!:
One feature of what? What is it? This Firefox 3 or something? Is it beta?

Uthman
06-17-2008, 07:39 PM
Lol, no idea bro. Out of the kindness of my heart, I've uploaded it to yousendit.:D
JazakAllah Khayr bro. But I want to contribute towards setting the world record. :D

BlissfullyJaded
06-17-2008, 07:41 PM

It's not beta. Only two languages are still in beta, but for the rest of us it's official.

I wanna download it too. :cry: Hmm...I just might. :skeleton:

Ali.
06-17-2008, 07:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jawharah
wanna download it too. :cry: Hmm...I just might. :skeleton:
Why are some people hesitant in downloading it? :confused:

I'm downloading it now, it better be good.

Uthman
06-17-2008, 08:13 PM

I'm on! Wow...it is pretty darn fast! It's going at lightning speeds on Islamicboard! :D Alhamdulillah!

format_quote Originally Posted by Ali
Why are some people hesitant in downloading it? :confused:
See here brother. :)

Whatsthepoint
06-17-2008, 08:18 PM
Oh righty, I'm downloading it now.

BlissfullyJaded
06-17-2008, 08:23 PM

I installed it. The address bar thing is annoying. :skeleton: Ah well, pretty nice otherwise. :D

Al-Zaara
06-17-2008, 08:38 PM
Hmm, you all keep saying it's good..

.. Nah! I'm gonna stay faithful to Internet Explorer.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
06-17-2008, 08:45 PM

Can someone please provide the direct link to the file? Somehow, I only keep getting my hands on the release candidate 3..

Pen Marks
06-17-2008, 08:51 PM
Region Downloads
^that's in the USA already!

m102313
06-17-2008, 08:52 PM
Nice.

Btw firefox is the best browser out there, its robust and less cpu consumption.

BlissfullyJaded
06-17-2008, 09:01 PM

Here's the download link:
http://www.mozilla.com/products/down...win&lang=en-US

Ibn Abi Ahmed
06-17-2008, 09:04 PM

Jazakallah Khayr for the links..Ironically I couldn't access the page via Firefox, had to use Opera to get to it instead!

Uthman
06-17-2008, 09:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara
Hmm, you all keep saying it's good..

.. Nah! I'm gonna stay faithful to Internet Explorer.
Sister, do you realise that IE7 basically copied of previous versions of firefox? The whole tabbed browsing thing and the add-ons...firefox already had em'!

And check out this article!

Uthman
06-17-2008, 09:21 PM
And this page!

Ali.
06-17-2008, 09:28 PM
FF is actually much faster than IE, I'm surprised. It'll take some getting used to though and I've found a few problems which I'll try to solve soon insha'Allah. By the way, does anybody know how to change the default font on FF like it is on IE? 'Cause I'm used to the one on IE - never used FF until today.

m102313
06-17-2008, 09:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman
Sister, do you realise that IE7 basically copied of previous versions of firefox? The whole tabbed browsing thing and the add-ons...firefox already had em'!

The first tabbed browser was in fact Netscape, im not sure if they still do have one. But more people are familiar with IE because most people use the windows OS and IE is ready installed on it.

Uthman
06-17-2008, 09:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by moabubaker
The first tabbed browser was in fact Netscape, im not sure if they still have do have one. But more people are familiar with IE because most people use the windows OS and IE is ready installed on it.
Ok...but ssshhhhhh. :D

Uthman
06-17-2008, 09:45 PM
:sl: Akhee,

format_quote Originally Posted by Ali.
By the way, does anybody know how to change the default font on FF like it is on IE? 'Cause I'm used to the one on IE - never used FF until today.
Tools --> Options --> 'Content' tab

crayon
06-18-2008, 07:36 AM
I love firefox, I'd been using the Beta 3 till now, it will be good to have the actual version now... I just hope my bookmarks, settings, etc. don't all get messed up..

Al-Zaara
06-18-2008, 07:44 AM

:ooh: Whaaat..?!

And this page!
:ooh:

format_quote Originally Posted by moabubaker
The first tabbed browser was in fact Netscape, im not sure if they still do have one. But more people are familiar with IE because most people use the windows OS and IE is ready installed on it.
Ok...but ssshhhhhh. :D
Haha! ;D

I'm still going to stay with IE, I can't be bothered to change, it's always been like this and it's OK! But thanks for trying to convince me! Maybe one day I'll get more brave and I'll download Firefox. I must say I love their name though.

Uthman
06-18-2008, 01:19 PM
Firefox 3 downloads smash 5m mark
18 Jun 2008 11:01

Since its release on Tuesday, downloads of Mozilla's Firefox 3 web browser have already exceeded the organisation's 'wildest expectations'

Downloads of Mozilla's Firefox 3 web browser have already passed the five million mark, approximately halfway through its 24-hour world-record attempt period.

The Mozilla team had aimed to exceed the 1.6 million downloads that Firefox 2 achieved in the first day of its release period, and had hoped for five million downloads for Firefox 3 in its first 24 hours of release, to set a Guinness world record.

Approximately 14 hours after its release, Firefox 3 passed the five million download mark. President of Mozilla Europe, Tristan Nitot, told ZDNet.co.uk that he felt as though he was in "a dream".

"We have exceeded our wildest expectations," said Nitot. "I'm so proud of the community. Five million downloads in 14 hours is mind boggling. I'm just concerned it's a dream and I'm going to wake up."

Nitot said it was difficult to predict what the final number of downloads would be, but that the total could reach eight million.

"Europe is just waking up, so we expect a few more million," said Nitot. "I don't know where it will end up, but we could get seven or eight million [downloads]."

Mozilla aimed to set a Guinness world record for the total number of downloads of a piece of software in a 24-hour period. As part of its marketing effort, it encouraged users to pledge to download Firefox 3 on its release, and to hold download parties.

The release was scheduled to begin at 6pm BST on Tuesday 17 June. However, the release could not begin as planned as Mozilla's servers had problems, which were exacerbated by the number of people wishing to download Firefox 3, according to Mozilla.

Nitot said that the main problems had begun before Firefox 3 had been released.

"It's true that downloads have exceeded out wildest dreams, but there was a failure even before the sites were open," said Nitot.

A Mozilla spokesperson confirmed that there had been problems migrating the servers, but said that the issues were fixed an hour later.

"There were a few technical issues migrating the sites and servers, then we went live an hour later," said the spokesperson.

A post by Mozilla marketing co-odinator Melissa Shapiro on the Mozilla blog on Tuesday, at the beginning of the release, said that the interest in Firefox 3 had been "overwhelming", and that Mozilla servers were under pressure.

"The outpouring of interest and enthusiasm around Firefox 3 has been overwhelming (literally!)," wrote Shapiro at the time of the release. "Our servers are currently feeling the burn and should be back to normal shortly. Download day will officially commence once the site goes live. The 24-hour period will be clocked from that moment."

As a consequence of the release being delayed for an hour, Firefox 3's 24-hour world-record download attempt period will end on Wednesday at 7pm BST.

Source

------
06-18-2008, 01:22 PM
:salamext:

Firefox rocks :shade:

Ali.
06-18-2008, 04:47 PM
Sooo...

There's no favourites list on FF?

Uthman
06-18-2008, 04:49 PM
Sooo...

There's no favourites list on FF?
Bookmarks. :) Same thing, different name.

Brother, you also might want to change your skin to a nicer theme (if you haven't done so already). :)

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:2

Ali.
06-18-2008, 04:59 PM
Bookmarks. :) Same thing, different name.
Ah, thanks.

It only comes up when you click the Bookmarks thing up there and it comes down as a drop menu? Not like IE where you have a list?

Yeah I'm checking all the add-ons right now, will come to skins soon insha'Allah.

Uthman
06-18-2008, 05:01 PM
:sl: bro

Ah, thanks.

It only comes up when you click the Bookmarks thing up there and it comes down as a drop menu? Not like IE where you have a list?
Right-click above the address bar and select 'customise'. Drag the 'bookmarks' icon and place it somewhere near the address bar. :)

Ali.
06-18-2008, 05:18 PM
:sl: bro

Right-click above the address bar and select 'customise'. Drag the 'bookmarks' icon and place it somewhere near the address bar. :)

Thanks a bunch bro'. :)

By the way, I've got Aquatint Black Gloss theme/skin now :D. What one have you got?

Güven
06-18-2008, 05:43 PM
WOW its Realy Fast , Im goin to work With Firefox Now :D
But My favourites in IE:cry:

Güven
06-18-2008, 05:46 PM
Thanks a bunch bro'. :)

By the way, I've got Aquatint Black Gloss theme/skin now :D. What one have you got?

Me too It looks so coool :D

Afraa
06-18-2008, 06:18 PM
Personally i love usinf firefox. It's great they are making it better

Uthman
06-18-2008, 06:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven
WOW its Realy Fast , Im goin to work With Firefox Now :D
But My favourites in IE:cry:
You can import your favourites from I.E. bro.

On firefox: File --> Import

I was using the Noia 2.0 extreme skin (but it's incompatible with firefox 3 so I'm waiting for an update)

Güven
06-18-2008, 06:45 PM
You can import your favourites from I.E. bro.

On firefox: File --> Import

I was using the Noia 2.0 extreme skin (but it's incompatible with firefox 3 so I'm waiting for an update)
OWW JAZAKALLAHU KHAIR BROTHER pff That saved me alot from searchin again Now Firefox Is definetly great :D

Uthman
06-18-2008, 09:16 PM
Anybody who wants to increase their speed even further can use the 'fasterfox' add-on. :)

Uthman
06-18-2008, 09:18 PM
Actually no you can't, because it needs to be updated to be compatible with FF3. Forget I said anything. :)

Uthman
06-19-2008, 04:14 PM
Firefox claims download success

Firefox fans held parties around the world to mark download day

Mozilla is claiming a download record for the release of Firefox 3.0.

In the first 24 hours the web browser was available the software was downloaded more than eight million times, says its creator Mozilla.

Statistics from the download servers are being scrutinised to produce an official figure that will be passed to the Guinness World Record organisation.

But the launch was marred by news from computer security firms who have found the first flaws in the software.

Big figures

The attempt to set the download record was scheduled to begin at 1300 PST (2000 GMT) on 17 June.

However, the record attempt was almost wrecked from the start as the servers handling the downloads collapsed under the weight of visitors checking to see if new version was available.

Once the servers were up and functioning normally the record attempt began.

At their busiest the servers were handling more than 9,000 downloads per minute. Within five hours the number of downloads for Version 3.0 exceeded the 1.6 million set by Firefox 2.0 in October 2006.
In total Firefox 3.0 was downloaded 8.3 million times over the 24 hour record setting period. The figure beats the five million Mozilla predicted before the day.

Logs from the download servers have been handed to the Open Source Labs at Oregon State University for auditing. The scrutiny will ensure duplicate and unfinished downloads are not counted. The verification process could take a week to complete.

The surge of interest in Firefox 3.0 has continued and Mozilla has reported that the software has now been downloaded more than 10 million times.
However, some of the shine of the launch was removed by reports that a security firm had already found a flaw in the browser.

DV Labs/Tipping Point reported a flaw only five hours after Firefox 3.0 debuted. The flaw potentially lets an attacker take over a PC if a user clicks on a booby-trapped link.

Source

Güven
06-19-2008, 05:58 PM
I cant Open up Firefox anymore, It keeps crashing :enough!:

Uthman
06-19-2008, 06:48 PM
:sl: Akhee,

I cant Open up Firefox anymore, It keeps crashing :enough!:
The problem may be caused by a particular extension or theme that you have installed? Check that Inshaa'Allah. :)

Güven
06-19-2008, 07:26 PM
Yep I have found the problem , Its on of the add-ons but how do I delete it , I cant start firefox ???

Uthman
06-19-2008, 07:34 PM

Go on my computer:

Tools --> Folder Options --> 'View' tab --> Select 'Show hidden files and folders' --> Ok

Then:

Local Disk (C: ) (or whatever yours says) --> Documents and Settings ---> <user name> --> Application Data --> Mozilla --> Extensions

You might be able to delete it from there.

Uthman
06-22-2008, 04:41 PM

jannat
06-22-2008, 05:00 PM

i am using IE. dnt do firefox at home,only use it at uni.. i know its much quicker than IE. Good luck with it!

crayon
06-22-2008, 06:26 PM
Check out this youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9BON5nd8Fg
:D

Güven
06-22-2008, 09:32 PM
^ LOL ;D

Firefox is cool:coolious:

Güven
06-22-2008, 10:01 PM
I notice That When I start The Ummah Radio , It Chrashes :?

Uthman
06-23-2008, 03:56 PM
I notice That When I start The Ummah Radio , It Chrashes :?
Ok...well..thanks for sharing that info with us. :?

Uthman
06-23-2008, 03:57 PM
Joke...:p

I just need to think a little.

Güven
06-23-2008, 03:58 PM
Sorry My Bad Its Working Again :X

Uthman
07-14-2008, 04:07 PM
The Noia 2.0 (eXtreme) theme is finally compatible with firefox 3.

I demand that you all begin using it immediately.

Ali.
07-14-2008, 04:13 PM
^ It doesn't look that good, everyone in the comments are going crazy about it.

EDIT: Hmm, it's OK.

Uthman
07-14-2008, 04:33 PM
Are you kidding bro?!

It's the best thing since sliced bread! And believe me...I love my sliced bread!

Ali.
07-18-2008, 07:11 PM
Firefox professionals (i.e. Osman & co.), how do you set Firefox as your default browser?

Cabdullahi
07-18-2008, 07:15 PM
YO!!!!!!!! firefox 3 is gonna be in mandriva 2009 when its released in october,im currently using mandriva 2008 and i cant wait

Brother_Mujahid
07-18-2008, 07:16 PM
Firefox professionals (i.e. Osman & co.), how do you set Firefox as your default browser?
*scratches head*

yeah how do i change it so when say i get an email and my msn shows i've recieved my mail... how do i set firefox as the web browser that i want to use?

because right now it always uses I.E...

Uthman
07-18-2008, 07:40 PM

Tools --> Options --> Advanced tab --> General tab

Ali.
07-18-2008, 07:41 PM

Tools --> Options --> Advanced tab --> General tab

Thanks a lot!

Ali.
07-18-2008, 07:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Brother_Mujahid
*scratches head*

yeah how do i change it so when say i get an email and my msn shows i've recieved my mail... how do i set firefox as the web browser that i want to use?

because right now it always uses I.E...
I should use their site more often. I just found this bro':

format_quote Originally Posted by http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/How+to+make+Firefox+the+default+browser
Note: MSN Messenger and other applications may be created to open Internet Explorer, no matter which browser is set as the default. Also, Internet service providers like PeoplePC Online, Juno and NetZero may provide connection software that automatically launches Internet Explorer.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.