/* */

PDA

View Full Version : ISESCO hails UN condemning defamation of Islam

Uthman
03-28-2008, 03:25 PM
RABAT - The Islamic Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization -ISESCO- said it welcomes the resolution passed by the United Nations Human Rights Council condemning the defamation of religions, especially Islam, according to a statement released on Friday.The statement also expressed ISESCO's grave concern at the serious recent instances of deliberate stereotyping of religions, their adherents and sacred persons in the media, ISESCO expressed relief and appreciation after the resolution of the UN HRC, excoriating attempts to identify Islam with terrorism, violence, and human rights violations.

The resolution also noted with deep concern the intensification of the campaign of defamation of religions and the ethnic and religious profiling of Muslim minorities in the aftermath of the tragic events of Sept. 11, 2001.

The said resolution expressed the UN Human Rights Council's concern on statements attacking religions, especially Islam and Muslims, which have increased largely in the last few years. It also urged states to take actions to prohibit the dissemination of racist and xenophobic ideas and material that would incite to religious hatred.

Proposed by the Islamic Republic of Pakistan on behalf of the Organization of the Islamic Conference, the draft resolution was ratified by 21 member states, opposed by 10, and abstained by 14 countries.

ISESCO also expressed its disproval and surprise that several European countries opposed this resolution, which complies with the principles of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and other international conventions, treaties and declarations related to the respect of cultural diversity and civilizational specificities of all peoples.

ISESCO's statement called for the implementation of the HRC resolution, and urged countries which voted for this resolution to take a large-scale international initiative to generalize this resolution in all international gatherings, especially the UN Security Council for its subsequent enforcement.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Uthman
03-30-2008, 04:52 PM
UN rights council deplores media portrayal of Islam

GENEVA - The UN Human Rights Council on Thursday passed a resolution deploring the use of the media to "incite acts of violence, xenophobia or related intolerance and discrimination towards Islam" or other religions.

The resolution was adopted by 21 of the council's 47 member states, while 14 abstained and 10 states objected, including Slovenia on behalf of the European Union.

Speaking out against the resolution, Slovenia's representative noted that a point on defamation of religions had an "inherently one-sided explicit reference to Islam."

Some Western media outlets have come under the spotlight for their treatment on issues relating to Islam.

Danish newspapers have been criticized for printing cartoons featuring the Prophet Mohammed.

On Sunday, an American network provider said it suspended a website that Dutch MP Geert Wilders had reserved to post his anti-Islamic film, which has sparked wide condemnation and fears of a backlash.

The council's resolution expressed "grave concern at the recent serious instances of deliberate stereotyping of religions, their adherents and sacred persons in the media and by political parties and groups in some societies, and at the associated provocation and political exploitation."

It also expressed deep concern at attempts to identify Islam with terrorism, violence and human rights violations.

Source

Uthman
03-30-2008, 04:53 PM
I probably should have posted them two articles the other way round. :X

Keltoi
03-30-2008, 06:29 PM
I agree with those who felt this resolution was too one-sided in favor of Islam. If they are going to pass a resolution condemning religious criticism or offensive language or visuals, they should make it universal without the "especially Islam" statement. Islam is not more important than any other religion in a secular state, and if the U.N. wants to get involved with this sort of discussion, they should have joined in when Christianity, Judaism, or any other faith has been insulted with the use of media. Of course all of this is due to the threat of violence and the outright acts of murder and violence attached to these events...otherwise there wouldn't have been a statement or resolution at all.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Amadeus85
03-30-2008, 09:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
I agree with those who felt this resolution was too one-sided in favor of Islam. If they are going to pass a resolution condemning religious criticism or offensive language or visuals, they should make it universal without the "especially Islam" statement. Islam is not more important than any other religion in a secular state, and if the U.N. wants to get involved with this sort of discussion, they should have joined in when Christianity, Judaism, or any other faith has been insulted with the use of media. Of course all of this is due to the threat of violence and the outright acts of murder and violence attached to these events...otherwise there wouldn't have been a statement or resolution at all.
Very wise things you pointed Keltoi. I have never heard about similar U.N resolutions when for example "Da Vinci Code" was shown in cinemas :).
Well I guess Keltoi that when christianity is offended in future we can call it immediately to U.N and they will protest about it. :rollseyes

Uthman
03-31-2008, 11:17 AM
I agree that, in a secular state, Islam is no more important than any other religion. But that does not make the negative portrayal of Islam any less wrong, in the media. However, it is true that all religions should be defended from defamation, not only Islam. The UN is still right to condemn defamation of Islam though, it's just that it should be done for other religions as well.

I can see that violence and murder are things that attract the media because they make the most noise. There are plenty of examples of peaceful manifestations of Islam's teachings though; but they naturally don't attract the media's attention because they don't make as much noise (because they are peaceful :D). I feel that the media in general should be more responsible. Since they are reporting the negative actions of some Muslims, they should be able to see the effect that it is having, and therefore actively look for some positive actions or at least condemnations of the negative actions, in order to balance out their reporting. I know they don't have a duty to do that, but it's the decent thing to do. Indeed, I feel it is the moral thing to do.

I request that people read this article as well. I posted it before, but unfortunately it was lost when the forum moved servers. Keltoi has seen it already:

Who's listening to the Muslim moderates?

Izyan
03-31-2008, 02:25 PM
Life of Brian
Meaning of Life (Every Sperm is Sacred)
Jesus Christ Superstar
The last Temptation of Christ
Jesus Camp
The DaVinci Code
Dogma (Very Funny Movie)
Jesus in a vial of urine
South Park

Nope no defamation of christianity here :blind:

Uthman
03-31-2008, 03:24 PM
Greetings,

Like I said, the UN should condemn defamation of all religions, not just Islam. :)

Regards

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.