/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Husband let wife starve to death

FatimaAsSideqah
03-28-2008, 10:42 PM
As Salaam Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu and Hello.

A 71-year-old man has been jailed for allowing his mentally ill wife to starve to death while he went to the pub and visited the bookmakers.

William Pottinger's wife Gillian, 61, died on a flea-ridden couch in June 2006 weighing four-and-a-half stone.

Pottinger, of Newtown, Berkshire, had pleaded guilty to manslaughter.

Jailing him for 18 months, the judge said it was "extraordinary" that an incident such as this could have happened in 21st Century Britain.

Judge Christopher Tyrer described it as an "horrific" case, and said: "You allowed your wife to starve to death.

"She began to significantly deteriorate from about the year 2000.

"She last went outside in about 2003, she totally lost the ability to look after herself and she lay on a sofa and wasted away. Her suffering must have lasted months.

"Her death was in squalid and degrading circumstances and the pain and the stress that she suffered for the months before she actually died doesn't bear thinking about."

Extreme self-neglect

Reading Crown Court heard Mrs Pottinger, who lived in Beecham Road with her husband, had been suffering from a condition known as Senile Squalor Syndrome, a behavioural disorder characterised by extreme self-neglect.

The judge said that at any stage during the final months, Pottinger could have called for help and his wife could have been treated and recovered from her illness.

He said: "From the outside world you continued your life as if nothing was wrong.

"You lived alongside her day by day . . .you must have realised she was utterly incapable of doing anything for herself."

After the hearing the couple's grandson, who gave his name only as Bradley-Lee, described Mrs Pottinger as a "lovely gran".

In a statement, he said: "She would give you the last pound in her pocket. Why take her away from us?

"Rest in peace Nan, all our thoughts are with you."

Speaking after the hearing, Det Insp Rebecca Mears of Thames Valley Police welcomed the sentence and said Mrs Pottinger had been a healthy weight before she was allowed to deteriorate.

She said: "It is a particularly nasty case, without a doubt this lady suffered significantly.

"The situation was horrendous and the death horrific. We are pleased that justice has been done."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/b...re/7318610.stm

So horrible old man!! Astagfirullah! :exhausted

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Na7lah
03-28-2008, 11:02 PM
Ya Allah :( i'm getting sick of reading all these stories bout people killing each other :( what happened to alll the mercy in this world? Astaghfirullah

Ebtisweetsam
03-29-2008, 12:35 AM
Astaghfirullah, that is sickening...i wish there was a picture though.

FatimaAsSideqah
03-29-2008, 12:38 AM
Sister Ebtisweetsam, you can look at the pictures of husband and wife at my link on my first post.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ebtisweetsam
03-29-2008, 12:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by RighteousLady
Sister Ebtisweetsam, you can look at the pictures of husband and wife at my link on my first post.
Yes Jazakallah sis, i didnt look at that bit, just read the story.
Subhanallah, i dont get it, i mean he's an old man himself, so he had quite a huge responsibility too. I am not saying its acceptable, but she should have been put in a nursing home or something.

FatimaAsSideqah
03-29-2008, 12:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ebtisweetsam
Yes Jazakallah sis, i didnt look at that bit, just read the story.
Subhanallah, i dont get it, i mean he's an old man himself, so he had quite a huge responsibility too. I am not saying its acceptable, but she should have been put in a nursing home or something.
Yes, I've agree with what you have said about put in a nursing home. But I think the sick old man won't let it to be happen and maybe he wants her to be slave to him. I don't know for sure!

Malaikah
03-29-2008, 02:26 AM
:sl:

That's so sad. :(

I don't understand, where on earth is this womans family? How could they fail to notice something was wrong?

Mikayeel
03-29-2008, 02:34 AM
salaam alekum

This is sad, I have noticed that people die strange deaths more often nowadays!

AvarAllahNoor
03-29-2008, 02:37 AM
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh (The Khalsa belong to God, Victory belongs to God)

So sad! - Last week I was reading in the Guardian paper, a man left his wife on the toilet for TWO YEARS! (No joke) and it was in America. lol

fatima_01
04-01-2008, 06:37 PM
^^^lol yeah heard abt tht one but apparently she refused to get out then wen he finally convinced her the skin had grown round the seat or summit like tht it was pretty funny:p

Ebtisweetsam
04-01-2008, 10:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by fatima_01
^^^lol yeah heard abt tht one but apparently she refused to get out then wen he finally convinced her the skin had grown round the seat or summit like tht it was pretty funny:p
Ugh thats gross :cry:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.