/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Burping

Rabi'ya
03-29-2008, 04:22 PM
assalamualaikum

could someone advise me as to whether burping after eating, and at other random times(whilst praying, watching tv, chatting etc) is sunnah :? ?? ive heard its not sunnah to say alhamdulillah and was confused

JAzakAllah kheir in advance for your replies (i hope you do reply)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aadil77
03-29-2008, 10:26 PM
Lol!:D i doubt, funny coming from a sis!

Ali.
03-29-2008, 10:38 PM
:sl:

I'm not too sure on this, but I think it's normal. We can't exactly prevent ourselves from burping, can we? It just randomly comes out, nothing we can do about it, so it's fine in my opinion.

:w:

mediadave
03-29-2008, 10:45 PM
Its a bodily function, so could hardly be stopped...

In some cultures, burping loudly after a meal is considered polite - it shows you enjoyed the food!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
FatimaAsSideqah
03-29-2008, 10:47 PM
To Brother Ali, I am agreed with what you have said. It just automatically comes out and we can't do anything with that burping. We cannot forced it to stop because it would be bad health. If you are feeling to expect burping to come out then you can do with polite and keep it to be quiet burping if you can.

But I will gladly if someone will explaining more, Insha'Allah!

'Abd al-Baari
03-30-2008, 12:21 PM
Assalamu Alaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakaatuh,

This is something that is similar that might help,

Question: Many Muslims, after burping or sighing, systematically say: "Astaghfirullâh". It is my understanding, though, that there's no such sunnah and that it is merely cultural.

Answered by Sheikh `Abd al-Rahmân al-`Ajlân, lecturer at the Grand Mosque in Makkah

It is permissible to seek forgiveness at any time. However, a person should not make a specific habit out of doing so after burping or sighing, because this is not according to the Sunnah of our Prophet (peace be upon him) and some people might misconstrue it to be a Sunnah.
Also this is a small Hadith related to Burping

Abu Juhayfah (radhi allahu anhu) reported that the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said to a man who burped in his presence: “Stop your burping, for the people who eat the most in this life will be the most hungry on the Day of Resurrection.” [Reported by al-Hakim. Saheeh al-Jamee (1190)]
Hope it helps, Insha'Allah :)

WaAlaykumus Salaam Warahmatullahi Wabarakaatuh

rabarbara2008
03-30-2008, 01:59 PM
I once heard you can say astaghfirullah after burping, but it this true?

'Abd al-Baari
03-30-2008, 03:01 PM

I once heard you can say astaghfirullah after burping, but it this true?
Question: Many Muslims, after burping or sighing, systematically say: "Astaghfirullâh". It is my understanding, though, that there's no such sunnah and that it is merely cultural.

Answered by Sheikh `Abd al-Rahmân al-`Ajlân, lecturer at the Grand Mosque in Makkah

It is permissible to seek forgiveness at any time. However, a person should not make a specific habit out of doing so after burping or sighing, because this is not according to the Sunnah of our Prophet (peace be upon him) and some people might misconstrue it to be a Sunnah.
Sis rabarbara2008 This answer shows that it is not from the Sunnah to say Astagfirullah after burping..

WaAlaykumus Salaam

Rabi'ya
03-31-2008, 08:05 AM

oh, maybe i should clarify...im not talking about the odd little burp which pops out now and then. i know these are natural and obviously cant be helped. Im talking about men AND WOMEN (not me btw) who let out huge big man burps at random times and to me they seem forced. Personally I find this habit disgusting and as I cant find anything to support either way from sunnah....wanted help in clarifying.

I know in some ultures is polite to burp after eating...but while just doing other things?!? :? :? anyway.....hope that helps a little.

jazakAllah kheir for ur replies so far. specifically the hadiths :)

Ali.
03-31-2008, 12:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rabi'ya

oh, maybe i should clarify...im not talking about the odd little burp which pops out now and then. i know these are natural and obviously cant be helped. Im talking about men AND WOMEN (not me btw) who let out huge big man burps at random times and to me they seem forced. Personally I find this habit disgusting and as I cant find anything to support either way from sunnah....wanted help in clarifying.

I know in some ultures is polite to burp after eating...but while just doing other things?!? :? :? anyway.....hope that helps a little.

jazakAllah kheir for ur replies so far. specifically the hadiths :)
It's a natural bodily function, chill out it's fine.
Sometimes I find when I drink Coke I burp shortly afterwards, probably because Coke contains gases that my body has no use for, therfore it causes me to burp.

adeeb
03-31-2008, 01:07 PM
nothing to do about it.
quiet after burping would be no problem... so u can say alhamdulillah or astaghfirullah.. everything, but dont make it as a habit. if u do so, i'm afraid it's going to be bid'ah.

Rabi'ya
03-31-2008, 07:37 PM

i still see no concrete evidence. jazakALlah kheir for ur replies however. esp Ibn Umayr for the hadith

Rabi'ya
03-31-2008, 07:37 PM

i still see no concrete evidence. jazakALlah kheir for ur replies however. esp Ibn Umayr for the hadith

'Abd al-Baari
03-31-2008, 07:51 PM

could someone advise me as to whether burping after eating, and at other random times(whilst praying, watching tv, chatting etc) is sunnah ??
Ukht Rab'iya, your original question was 'is it Sunnah to burp?'

The Prophet Sallahu Alayhi Wassalam, although the best of creation was still human. He ate like us, and drank like us. That's what we must remember. As we learn from the Hadith, the Prophet Sallahu Alayhi Wassalam did not like burping because it was a result of over eating, the Prophet Sallahu Alayhi Wassalam said “Man fills no vessel worse than his stomach. It is sufficient for the son of Adam to have a few mouthfuls to give him the strength he needs. If he has to fill his stomach, then let him leave one-third for food, one-third for drink and one-third for air.” [Reported by at-Tirmidhee and Ibn Majah. Saheeh al-Jamee (5674)]

FatimaAsSideqah
03-31-2008, 11:56 PM
As Salaam Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

The Prophet (PBUH) said: "Should any of you burp or sneeze, let him stifle the sound." - Al-Bayhaqi

It is from The Content of Character - Ethical Sayings of The Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)

- Translation and Introduction by - HAMZA YUSUF
- Collected by - SHAYKH AL-AMIN ALI MAZRUI
- Foreword by - ALI MAZRUI

Rabi'ya
04-01-2008, 06:48 PM
jazakAllah kheir sister......the most helpful so far :)

glo
04-01-2008, 08:42 PM
Is other people burping something that makes you feel uncomfortable, Rabi'ya?
If so, could you address it as your personal opinion, rather than having to look for evidence in Islamic teaching?

I tend to glare at people who burp loudly at the table ... that usually does the trick! :D

Soulja Girl
04-02-2008, 11:42 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I tend to glare at people who burp loudly at the table ... that usually does the trick! :D
^Hmm, that defo works, lol.
Burping in public ish rude if you ask me, I mean have some manners at least!

Rabi'ya
04-04-2008, 10:07 AM

i personally find it disgusting....but when i glare at someone or say "thats disgusting" they make a joke out of it and do it even more(so childish) then they say "alhamdulillah" after and think its ok. i was told its sunnah and thats why they do it. but i just wanted clarification.

jazakAllah kheir

muslimah_online
04-06-2008, 04:32 PM
Thank you 4 d info.Alhamdulillah..

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!