/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Question - For Atheists/Agnostics

'Abd al-Baari
03-30-2008, 11:27 AM
Assalamu Alaykum / Peace be upon those who follow guidance,

This question just came to my head yesterday, and got me thinking :-[

As an atheist/agnostic if you were in a life or death situation [i hope that you never will be] but if you were would you pray?

Thank you for taking part..any comments are appreciated! :)

WaAlaykumus Salaam/Peace

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Gator
03-30-2008, 11:51 AM
I voted no, but then again I'm not in a life or death situation currently. I've been in pretty desperate situations and was more concentrated on dealing with the events at hand.

Thanks.

Your question reminded me of something I saw recently.

http://www.stripes.com/02/nov02/maul...s/_maul31.html

'Abd al-Baari
03-30-2008, 12:00 PM
Peace,

That link isn't working Gator, :(

Thanks for taking part in the poll :)

Peace :shade:

snakelegs
03-31-2008, 01:02 AM
voted yes. i'm an agnostic who believes in god. so i often pray - mainly to give thanks.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
'Abd al-Baari
03-31-2008, 01:08 AM
Greetings snakelegs,

Thanks for answering :)

i'm an agnostic who believes in god.
Thats quite interesting, so although you believe in God you do not follow any certain religion? sorry for being rude :-[

Peace :shade:

Na7lah
03-31-2008, 01:09 AM
sowy but can some1 tell me wat's da difference between
agnostic and athiest?

Jazakallah

snakelegs
03-31-2008, 01:12 AM
you're not rude. no, i follow no religion. i've been agnostic all my life, but only came to believe in god about 10 years ago.
muslimah - atheists don't believe in god
agnostics - believe that there is much that is unknowable. some of us believe in god, some do not.

'Abd al-Baari
03-31-2008, 01:14 AM
:sl:

An atheist is someone who does not believe in God, as opposed to theist [someone who does believe in God]

An agnostic is someone who is unsure of whether a God exists or not..thats what we learn in RE here :?

Na7lah
03-31-2008, 01:16 AM
thnks

snakelegs
03-31-2008, 04:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ibn Umayr

An atheist is someone who does not believe in God, as opposed to theist [someone who does believe in God]

An agnostic is someone who is unsure of whether a God exists or not..thats what we learn in RE here :?
yes, you are partially correct and many fit that description. but some agnostics do believe in god.
i believe that ultimately, these things are unknowable. but i believe god exists.
there is much that remains unknown and beyond our knowledge.

Science101
03-31-2008, 07:48 AM
I'm like snakelegs. I believe there is a Creator but do not follow a single religious doctrine. That is more or less what an Agnostic is. Someone who believes there is a Creator of some sort but does not think that religion can explain it all or that such an entity is unknowable (but may still exist).

Some who are unsure can be an Atheist on a day they feel certain there in no Creator, then be Agnostic on another day when they think there might be one. Only an Atheist is 100% convinced there is no Creator.

barney
03-31-2008, 08:23 AM
Heck yeah I'd pray!
I sometimes pray anyway just for a chat. It's a bit one sided, well a lot one sided, but these days where lots of peeps have mobile phone earplugs, it's fairly safe to chat away to yourself in public without ending up in the asylum.
It cant do any harm, if God is listening, then I'm sure he knows all about me anyway.
I assume im not racking him off too much or he would have dropped a whale on my head or at least given me some nasty disease.
If he cant hear then , i'm still having a nice discussion with myself, and while that looks a bit awkward, I'm secure enough in myself to do it.

I think that the old saying there are no atheists in foxholes is fairly true.We would all like to cling to some hope of life continuing and it even being really really supermagic after death.
Even if we have spent the whole of a very long life vehmently and painstakingly logically opposing a God.

IbnAbdulHakim
03-31-2008, 10:56 AM
lol nice replies, God is listening to everyone and is even well aware of this thread :)

Ali.
03-31-2008, 02:21 PM
This is really quite an interesting thread!

'Abd al-Baari
03-31-2008, 02:29 PM

JazakAllah Khayr akhee ^ :)

I have to say the most interesting thing that i have learnt from this thread, that there are people that belive in God, but do not follow a religion..i find that quite confusing..

Peace, :)

Ali.
03-31-2008, 02:42 PM

I have to say the most interesting thing that i have learnt from this thread, that there are people that belive in God, but do not follow a religion..i find that quite confusing..

Yeah and me! No offense to those people :).

barney
03-31-2008, 06:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali.
Yeah and me! No offense to those people :).
It's simply that, following Logic, all things must have an origin. this origin in many agnostics systems is the creative energy or force. This is effectively the same force that Muslim's Christians, Hindu's and every other Theist follows. Agnostics are almost certainly always theists.

The point of departure many come from early on, in that not all agnostics will beleive that this force is sentinent or still in existance.
Just because something did exist dosnt mean it still does.

Further down the line is the consideration wether this force can interact with us humans on a speck of a planet on the speck of a solar system in a speck of a galaxy in the back end of the universe.

Assuming that it is sentinent, is still in existance and can communicate or at least at some point did communicate, then we have to ask, out of all the people who claimed to have had communed with it, who was in actuallity communing and who was simply mentally ill or manipulating people for power wealth and fame.

To figure out that, we have to look at the known histories, the known facts and tangible evidence. Without all these, I myself could simply claim I was in communion and if enough people were daft enough to beleive me, then hey presto...a new religion is born.
Religions tend to be self feeding. The longer they last, the more credibility they have, so they last even longer. Scientology is a example; as the decades roll by, it is turning from a science fiction authors powertrip into a sizable and even in this PC climate , respected religion. (you cant mock scientology, because thats disrespecting peoples beleifs...and they'll come and sue you in court, or intimidate you)

Regards

Uthman
03-31-2008, 07:13 PM
Very interesting post barney. :)

Another factor could be that agnostics might believe in a sentient God, but they don't necessarily believe that he is benevolent. Is that correct?

'Abd al-Baari
03-31-2008, 07:36 PM
Greetings,

Thank you for the post barney, an interesting read, but forgive me i didn't completely understand it :-[

By this, do you mean that the 'creator' that created the Universe?

Peace. :)

'Abd al-Baari
03-31-2008, 07:39 PM
Greetings,

Thank you for your post barney, an interesting read, but i didn't understand it completly :-[

By this do you mean the creator of the Universe?

snakelegs
03-31-2008, 08:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman
Very interesting post barney. :)

Another factor could be that agnostics might believe in a sentient God, but they don't necessarily believe that he is benevolent. Is that correct?
personally, i believe that the creator is benevolent.

snakelegs
03-31-2008, 08:31 PM

i can see why you would find that confusing. i think it is somewhat unusual.
my own belief is that god is too big to fit in to any one religion - that he is beyond religion.

'Abd al-Baari
03-31-2008, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the reply snakelegs :)

my own belief is that god is too big to fit in to any one religion - that he is beyond religion.
So you belive that although God created the world, he chooses to let his creation live as they wish and not per his guidance?

Sorry for all the questions, and don't be shy to say no to answerring, but i just find this very interesting, and i hope that it'll help me with my Philosophy & Ethics GSCE

Peace :)

snakelegs
03-31-2008, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the reply snakelegs :)

So you belive that although God created the world, he chooses to let his creation live as they wish and not per his guidance?

Sorry for all the questions, and don't be shy to say no to answerring, but i just find this very interesting, and i hope that it'll help me with my Philosophy & Ethics GSCE

i can only give you a true agnostic answer: i don't know. (it's not a cop-out - it's the truth)

'Abd al-Baari
03-31-2008, 09:14 PM
Peace,

;D Lol thank you very much anyways

barney
03-31-2008, 10:13 PM
Hi Guys.
Benevolence: Looking at the scripture it's hard for me to personally find much benevolence.
Sure there would be the creating us in the first place, but, (and I dont know how else to explain this without it mayby sounding harsh), but there are a lot of parents who are utter sods.

I look at things like the Tsunami, plauges, starving infants with flies around their faces, the earthquake that freed 700 prisoners but collapsed a Church crushing the congregation who were praying to god, the 7 year old Girl with a brain tumour who worked tirelessly for charity and died in agony, the list is so endless. It really dosnt end. Sure we can say that God is testing us, but are the tests benevolent? What about the Flood. He wiped out mankind for some unspecified sin. He killed 48 kids who mocked Elishas bald head, he toasted a guy who was attempting to stop the arc of the covenant from falling, he allowed possibly the most prayerful of all muslims, who seeked his guidance on every single day and with every thought, (the taliban), to be utterly and roundly whipped by 250 americans, who are peretty much Shaytan incarnate.

God works it is said in mysterious ways.
If I Ignore all of these things happening in the world and simply think that the next time I get a pay-rise or the next time my Mum recovers from a fever or the next time my headache goes away, that God is blessing me, then I will indeed concentrate on his benevolence. Perhaps I could thank this energy for making the sun rise each morning. But i think thats on autopilot now and dosnt require continual divine input.

I look at my daughter often and, because she is so wonderful, I thank God for her. I have to thank something. Its a human instinct.
If he directly created her and is around to hear my thanks, then I'd like to let him know. I'm so grateful for her being here, and I still cant really just thank myself and my wife, because to create something with the potential that a human being has, something had to have fired it all up in the beginning.
So does he still exist?
This is why I lean towards God not being interactive. Perhaps he was in biblical times, and if he was and the stories of scripture are true, then personally thats not a God i'd like to meet. I could quote literally thousands of passages from scripture that show a intolerant deity, angry , unjust and frankly awful. Scattered amongst these verses of eternal fire are statements of how merciful God is. Invariably these are simply "God is Merciful, Wise" or "God is forgiving and Just", they follow a huge swathe of burning shirts , killing the entire firstborn of a race in a 6 hour period and slaughtering 70000 jews by a plaugue because their king took a census when God told him to take a census. Killing babys..yadda yadda yadda.

If he does exist and is benevolent then he's not i beleive, in contact. Mayby he has forgotten us, mayby he never knew us? Mayby he has moved on, mayby he exists no more.

Mankind has looked for 1500000 years, (or 6000 years for you creationists) for answers,to find our parent. weare all Orphans really. :cry:

'Abd al-Baari
04-01-2008, 09:36 PM
Thank you for the post barney :)

If he does exist and is benevolent then he's not i beleive, in contact. Mayby he has forgotten us, mayby he never knew us? Mayby he has moved on, mayby he exists no more.
If you think that God can create the universe, then how can you think that he has 'left' the creation? How can God who created the Universe, cease to exist [Astagfirullah!]?

Sorry for all the questions, and once again thank you for answering them :)

Peace, :shade:

barney
04-01-2008, 11:38 PM
Perhaps he has got bored, forgotten us, been busy creating other universe's, got dissapointed with us and just left, moved to another plane, died,misplaced where we were. Theres a thousand explainations.

I know that the concept that this energy isnt around any more is a particularly difficult one to comprehend if you are a follower of a organised religion.
I'm afraid I cant explain it any simpler than that. That there once was a vast creative force, and it went, leaving everything it created looking for it.

I'm not fixed on this Idea, otherwise I wouldnt claim to be an Aggy, it's simply the clearest and most obvious theory of how a merciful and benevolant God can kill people in their millions and carry out acts in scripture that are horrific.
One of the frequently visited websites I look at has researched how many God has killed in the Bible.
He killed 2,270,971 if you exclude the flood, which a lot of people estimate at 30 million. In the same Period Satan killed 10 people.

In the Koran, Allah killed 4 people directly, satan none.

I hate evil. If Evil was personified in a angel or in a concept or frankly in a box of cookies, I would hate it. So im very happy to say "I hate satan", even if I dont beleive in such a sentinent force.

If we are talking of benevolance, I cant accept that a force that is acting in such abhorent ways is benevolent. It is either the opposite of benevolent or simply not in contact or influencing us.

'Abd al-Baari
04-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Once again thank you for the post

That there once was a vast creative force, and it went, leaving everything it created looking for it.
I don't think i'm ever going to understand this..:-[ but thanks for answering all the questions!

If you believe that such a God existed that can create such a Universe then how can he not know when his creation need to be punished/destoryed/killed?

Thanks,

barney
04-02-2008, 01:03 PM
Once again thank you for the post

I don't think i'm ever going to understand this..:-[ but thanks for answering all the questions!

If you believe that such a God existed that can create such a Universe then how can he not know when his creation need to be punished/destoryed/killed?

Thanks,

There are as I say a thousand explainations why.

When I was say 8 years old I created a plastercine model, Ive forgotten all about it.
The list of why he might choose not to interact is endless, the reasons why he cant interact, likewise are endless. Perhaps in creating the universe this energys purpose was served and it ceased to be.
Perhaps This force is timeless, endless, omnipotent ,omnicient, benevolant, merciful and just and has sent messages via his prophets and angels. Perhaps.

To myself, looking for evidence of him interacting is one of the facinating things about theology.

'Abd al-Baari
04-02-2008, 01:53 PM
I don't know much about Christianity but Allah SWT says in the Qura'an

"This day have I perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion." [Surah Maidah[5] Verse 3]

For me this shows that the message that God wanted to send to mankind was clear, and everything has been explained, therefore God does not need to interact with mankind like at the time of the Prophets [Upon them be peace] such as revelations, and miracles etc etc

Perhaps in creating the universe this energys purpose was served and it ceased to be.
Like before, :-[ if God can create such a Universe would he not know what would happen when he created the universe:?

barney
04-02-2008, 02:21 PM
I don't know much about Christianity but Allah SWT says in the Qura'an

"This day have I perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion." [Surah Maidah[5] Verse 3]

For me this shows that the message that God wanted to send to mankind was clear, and everything has been explained, therefore God does not need to interact with mankind like at the time of the Prophets [Upon them be peace] such as revelations, and miracles etc etc

Like before, :-[ if God can create such a Universe would he not know what would happen when he created the universe:?

Personally of course, I dont take scripture as independent evidence of itself :)

Perhaps God did know what was going to happen, in which case we must look at the benevolance and mercy issues.
Perhaps it diddnt know and is restricted to the same plane of time that we are? Perhaps it was surprised at what was created. Perhaps it expected to be around forever.
I dont know, and noone does. Perhaps this God , if he is still around, knows.

I would love for him to come back and once and for all appear and sort mankind out. All the bickering over slices of land, over buildings and who owns them, over which type of clothes to wear.

'Abd al-Baari
04-03-2008, 09:55 AM
Greetings,

Thanks again barney :D

, in which case we must look at the benevolance and mercy issues.
Can you explain what you mean by the benovolance and mercy issues please?

barney
04-03-2008, 10:23 AM
Yipes! That would take ages.

be·nev·o·lence Audio Help /bəˈnɛvələns/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[buh-nev-uh-luhns] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. desire to do good to others; goodwill; charitableness: to be filled with benevolence toward one's fellow creatures.
2. an act of kindness; a charitable gift.
[Origin: 1350–1400; ME < L benevolentia. See benevolent, -ence]

In the Christian Bible

This is a cut and paste from the SAB. Dont bother reading it all.
Genesis

Because God liked Abel's animal sacrifice more than Cain's vegetables, Cain kills his brother Abel in a fit of religious jealousy. 4:8

God is angry. He decides to destroy all humans, beasts, creeping things, fowls, and "all flesh wherein there is breath of life." He plans to drown them all. 6:7, 17

God repeats his intention to kill "every living substance ... from off the face of the earth." But why does God kill all the innocent animals? What had they done to deserve his wrath? It seems God never gets his fill of tormenting animals. 7:4

God drowns everything that breathes air. From newborn babies to koala bears -- all creatures great and small, the Lord God drowned them all. 7:21-23

God tells Abram to kill some animals for him. The needless slaughter makes God feel better. 15:9-10

Hagar conceives, making Sarai jealous. Abram tells Sarai to do to Hagar whatever she wants. "And when Sarai dealt hardly with her, she fled." 16:6

"I will not destroy it for ten's sake."
I guess God couldn't find even ten good Sodomites because he decides to kill them all in Genesis 19. Too bad Abraham didn't ask God about the children. Why not save them? If Abraham could find 10 good children, toddlers, infants, or babies, would God spare the city? Apparently not. God doesn't give a **** about children. 18:32

Lot refuses to give up his angels to the perverted mob, offering his two "virgin daughters" instead. He tells the bunch of angel rapers to "do unto them [his daughters] as is good in your eyes." This is the same man that is called "just" and "righteous" in 2 Peter 2:7-8. 19:7-8

God kills everyone (men, women, children, infants, newborns) in Sodom and Gomorrah by raining "fire and brimstone from the Lord out of heaven." Well, almost everyone -- he spares the "just and righteous" Lot and his family. 19:24

Lot's nameless wife looks back, and God turns her into a pillar of salt. 19:26

God threatens to kill Abimelech and his people for believing Abe's lie. 20:3-7

Sarai tells Abraham to "cast out this bondwoman and her son." God commands him to "hearken unto her voice." So Abraham abandons Hagar and Ishmael, casting them out into the wilderness to die. 21:10-14

God orders Abraham to kill Isaac as a burnt offering. Abraham shows his love for God by his willingness to murder his son. But finally, just before Isaac's throat is slit, God provides a goat to kill instead. 22:2-13

Abraham shows his willingness to kill his son for God. Only an evil God would ask a father to do that; only a bad father would be willing to do it. 22:10

Dinah, the daughter of Jacob, is "defiled" by a man who seems to love her dearly. Her brothers trick all of the men of the town and kill them (after first having them all circumcised), and then take their wives and children captive. 34:1-31

"The terror of God was upon the cities that were round about them." 35:5

"And Er, Judah's firstborn, was wicked in the sight of the Lord; and the Lord slew him." What did Er do to elicit God's wrath? The Bible doesn't say. Maybe he picked up some sticks on Saturday. 38:7

After God killed Er, Judah tells Onan to "go in unto they brother's wife." But "Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and ... when he went in unto his brother's wife ... he spilled it on the ground.... And the thing which he did displeased the Lord; wherefore he slew him also." This lovely Bible story is seldom read in Sunday School, but it is the basis of many Christian doctrines, including the condemnation of both masturbation and birth control. 38:8-10

After Judah pays Tamar for her services, he is told that she "played the harlot" and "is with child by *****dom." When Judah hears this, he says, "Bring her forth, and let her be burnt." 38:24

Joseph interprets the baker's dream. He says that the pharaoh will cut off the baker's head, and hang his headless body on a tree for the birds to eat. 40:19
Exodus

Moses murders an Egyptian after making sure that no one is looking. 2:11-12

God threatens to kill the Pharaoh's firstborn son. 4:23

God decides to kill Moses because his son had not yet been circumcised. 4:24-26

God will make sure that Pharaoh does not listen to Moses, so that he can kill Egyptians with his armies. 7:4

"And the Egyptians shall know that I am the LORD." Who else could be so cruel and unjust? 7:5, 17

God tells Moses and Aaron to smite the river and turn it into blood. 7:17-24

The fifth plague: all cattle in Egypt die. 9:2-6

The sixth plague: boils and blains upon man and beast. 9:9-12

"For I will at this time send all my plagues upon thine heart, and upon thy servants, and upon thy people; that thou mayest know that there is none like me in all the earth." Who else but the biblical god could be so cruel? 9:14

The seventh plague is hail. "And the hail smote throughout the land of Egypt all that was in the field, both man and beast." 9:22-25

These verses clearly show that the mass murder of innocent children by God was premeditated. 11:4-6 (see 12:29-30)

God will kill the Egyptian children to show that he puts "a difference between the Egyptians and Israel." 11:7

God explains to Moses that he intends to "smite all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast. 12:12

After God has sufficiently hardened the Pharaoh's heart, he kills all the firstborn Egyptian children. When he was finished "there was not a house where there was not one dead." Finally, he runs out of little babies to kill, so he slaughters the firstborn cattle, too. 12:29

To commemorate the divine massacre of the Egyptian children, Moses instructs the Israelites to "sacrifice to the Lord all that openeth the matrix" -- all the males, that is. God has no use for dead, burnt female bodies. 13:2, 12, 15

After hardening Pharaoh's heart a few more times, God drowns Pharaoh's army in the sea 14:4-28

Moses and the people sing praises to their murderous god. 15:1-19

"The Lord is a man of war." Indeed, judging from his acts in the Old Testament, he is a vicious warlike monster. 15:3

God's right hand dashes people in pieces. 15:6

If you do what God says, he won't send his diseases on you (like he did to the Egyptians). But otherwise.... 15:26

Joshua, with God's approval, kills the Amalekites "with the edge of the sword." 17:13

"The Lord has sworn [God swears!] that the Lord will have war with Amalek from generation to generation." 17:14-16

Any person or animal that touches Mt. Sinai shall be stoned to death or "shot through." 19:12-13

Like the great and powerful Wizard of Oz, nobody can see God and live. 19:21

God gives instructions for killing and burning animals. He says that if we will make such "burnt offerings," he will bless us for it. What kind of mind would be pleased by the killing and burning of innocent animals? 20:24

A child who hits or curses his parents must be executed. 21:15, 17

An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. 21:24-25

If an ox gores someone, "then the ox shall surely be stoned." 21:28

If an ox gores someone due to the negligence of its owner, then "the ox shall be stoned, and his owner shall be put to death.". 21:29

If an ox gores a slave, the owner of the ox must pay the owner of the slave 30 shekels of silver, and "the ox shall be stoned." 21:32

"Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live." Thousands of innocent women have suffered excruciating deaths because of this verse. 22:18

"Whosoever lieth with a beast shall surely be put to death." Is it really necessary to kill such people? Couldn't we just send them to counseling or something? 22:19

"He who sacrificeth unto any god, save unto the Lord only, he shall be utterly destroyed." If this commandment is obeyed, then the four billion people who do not believe in the biblical god must be killed. 22:20

If you make God angry enough, he will kill you and your family with his own sword. 22:24

"The firstborn of thy sons thou shalt give unto me." (As a burnt offering?) 22:29

God promises to "send his fear before the Israelites" and to kill everyone that they encounter when they enter the promised land. 23:27

Moses has some animals killed and their dead bodies burned for God. Then he sprinkles their blood on the altar and on the people. This makes God happy. 24:5-8

Get some animals, kill them, chop up their bodies, wave body parts in the air, burn the carcasses, and sprinkle the blood all around -- in precisely the way God tells you. It may well make you sick, but it makes God feel good. 29:11-37

Have your killed and offered your bullock for a sin offering today? How about the two lambs you are supposed to offer each day? 29:36-39

Wash up or die. 30:20-21

Moses burned the golden calf, ground it into powder, and then forced it down the throats of all the people. 32:20

Whoever puts holy oil on a stranger shall be "cut off from his people." 30:33

Those who break the Sabbath are to be executed. 31:14

God asks to be left alone so that his "wrath may wax hot" and he can "consume them. 32:10

God orders the sons of Levi (Moses, Aaron, and the other members of their tribe that were "on the Lord's side") to kill "every man his neighbor." "And there fell of the people that day about 3000 men." 32:27-28

But God wasn't satisfied with the slaughter of the 3000, so he killed some more people with a plague. 32:35

If you can't redeem him, then just "break his neck." Hey, it's all for the glory of God. 34:20

Whoever works, or even kindles a fire, on the Sabbath "shall be put to death." 35:2-3
Leviticus

God gives detailed instructions for performing ritualistic animal sacrifices. such bloody rituals must be important to God, judging from the number of times that he repeats their instructions. Indeed the entire first nine chapters of Leviticus can be summarized as follows: Get an animal, kill it, sprinkle the blood around, cut the dead animal into pieces, and burn it for a "sweet savor unto the Lord." Chapters 1 - 9

"Flay the burnt offering; cut it into pieces." 1:6

Burn the head, fat, and entrails for "a sweet savour unto the Lord." 1:8-9

"Kill it and sprinkle blood round about." 1:11, 3:2, 3:8, 3:13

"Cut it into pieces and burn it for a sweet savour unto the Lord." 1:12-13

"Wring off its head and burn it." 1:15

"For a sweet savour unto the Lord." 1:17

"Part it in pieces... it is a meat offering." 2:6

"It is a thing most holy of the offerings of the LORD made by fire." 2:10

What to do with the fat, kidneys, and liver of your burnt offerings. 3:3-4, 3:9-10, 3:14-16

"Kill the bullock before the Lord and take of the bullock's blood." 4:4

"The priest shall dip his finger in the blood and sprinkle the blood seven times before the Lord." 4:6, 4:17

"Pour all the blood at the bottom of the altar." 4:7

What to do with the fat, kidneys, liver, skin, head, entrails, and dung from your burnt offerings. 4:8-11

"The bullock shall be killed before the Lord." 4:14

"Kill it and pour out the blood." 4:24-25

"Slay it for a sin offering, pour out the blood, and burn the fat for a sweet savour unto the Lord." 4:29-31

Slay it for a sin offering, put the blood on your finger, and pour out the blood at the bottom of the altar. 4:33-34

Wringing off the heads of pigeons for God. 5:8-9

Kill the sin offering before the Lord. "It is most holy." 6:25

The holy law of trespass offering: Find an animal; kill it; sprinkle the blood around; offer God the fat, rump, kidneys, and caul; burn and eat it in the holy place, for "it is most holy." 7:1-6

The priest must sprinkle the blood of the peace offerings. 7:14

Be careful what you eat during these animal sacrifices. Don't eat fat or blood -- these are for God. (And he doesn't like to share!) 7:18-27

God gives instructions for "wave offerings" and "heave offerings." He says these offerings are to be made perpetually "by a statute for ever." Have you made your heave offering today? 7:30-36

Moses does it all for God. First he kills an animal; wipes the blood on Aaron's ears, thumbs, and big toes. Then he sprinkles blood round about and waves the guts before the Lord. Finally he burns the whole mess for "a sweet savour before the Lord." 8:14-32

More killing, sprinkling of blood, waiving animal parts, and burning carcasses "before the Lord." 9:2-21

Kill the calf, dip your finger in the blood, sprinkle the blood round about, burn the fat and entrails, and wave the breast for a wave offering before the Lord. 9:8-21

Two of the sons of Aaron "offered strange fire before the Lord" and "there went out fire from the Lord, and devoured them, and they died before the Lord." 10:1-3

If priests misbehave at the tabernacle by uncovering their heads, tearing their clothes, leaving with holy oil on them, or by drinking "wine or strong drink", then God will kill them and send his wrath on "all the people." 10:6-9

After a woman gives birth, a priest must kill a lamb, pigeon, or dove as a sin offering. This is because having children is sinful and God likes it when things are killed for him. 12:6-8

God's law for lepers: Get two birds. Kill one. Dip the live bird in the blood of the dead one. Sprinkle the blood on the leper seven times, and then let the blood-soaked bird fly off. Next find a lamb and kill it. Wipe some of its blood on the patient's right ear, thumb, and big toe. Sprinkle seven times with oil and wipe some of the oil on his right ear, thumb and big toe. Repeat. Finally kill a couple doves and offer one for a sin offering and the other for a burnt offering. 14:2-32

God "put the plague of leprosy" into the houses of the Canaanites. 14:34

God explains the use of scapegoats. It goes like this: Get two goats. Kill one. Wipe, smear, and sprinkle the blood around seven times. Then take the other goat, give it the sins of all the people, and send it off into the wilderness. 16:6-28

Sprinkle the blood and burn the fat for a sweet savour unto the Lord. 17:6

If you upset God, he'll cause the land to vomit you out. 18:25

"Whosoever shall commit any of these abominations ... shall be cut off from among their people." 18:29, 19:8

Don't eat sacrifices on the third day or God will cut you off from among your people. 19:6-8

Kill anyone who "gives his seed" to Molech. If you refuse, God will cut you and your family off. 20:2-5

"For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall surely be put to death." Couldn't we try spanking first? 20:9

Both parties in adultery shall be executed. 20:10

If a man has sex with his father's wife, kill them both. 20:11

If a man "lies" with his daughter-in-law, then both must be killed. 20:12

If a man has sex with another man, kill them both. 20:13

If you "lie" with your wife and your mother-in-law (now that sounds fun!), then all three of you must be burned to death. 20:14

If a man or woman "lie with a beast" both the person and the poor animal are to be killed. 20:15-16

People with "familiar spirits" (witches, fortune tellers, etc.) are to be stoned to death. 20:27

A priest's daughter who "plays the *****" is to be burned to death. 21:9

God gives us more instructions on killing and burning animals. I guess the first nine chapters of Leviticus wasn't enough. He says we must do this because he really likes the smell -- it is "a sweet savour unto the Lord." 23:12-14, 18

Don't do any work on the day of atonement or God will destroy you. 23:29-30

A man curses and blasphemes while disputing with another man. Moses asks God what to do about it. God says that the whole community must stone him to death. "And the children of Israel did as the Lord and Moses commanded." 24:10-23

Anyone who blasphemes or curses shall be stoned to death by the entire community. 24:16

God tells the Israelites to make slaves out of their neighbors and their families. The "heathens" and "strangers" are to be their possessions forever. 25:44-46

God tells the Israelites to "chase" their enemies and make them "fall before you by the sword." He figures five of the Israelites will be able to "chase" a hundred of their enemies, and a hundred will be able to "put ten thousand to flight." 26:7-8

God describes the torments that he has planned for those who displease him. The usual stuff: plagues, burning fevers that will consume the eyes, etc. but he reserves the worst for the little children. He says "ye shall sow your seed in vain, for your enemies shall eat it," "I will send wild beasts among you, which shall rob you of your children," and "ye shall eat the flesh of your sons and daughters." 26:16-39

All "devoted" things (both man and beast) "shall surely be put to death." 27:28-29
Numbers

God shows his hospitality with the admonition: "The stranger that cometh nigh shall be put to death." 1:51, 3:10, 3:38

Two of Aaron's sons are killed by God for "offering strange fire before the Lord." 3:4

Don't touch or "go in to see when the holy things are covered." God kills people who touch or look at covered holy things. 4:15, 20

God tells the people to expel from camp "every leper, every one that hath an issue, and whoever is defiled by the dead." So by God's instructions, the sick are abandoned and left to suffer and die alone. 5:1-4

"And when the people complained, it displeased the Lord: and the Lord heard it." (He had his hearing aid on.) He then burned the complainers alive. That'll teach them. 11:1

"And wile the flesh [of the quails] was yet between their teeth, ere it was chewed, the wrath of the Lord was kindled against the people, and the Lord smote the people with a very great plague. "The Bible isn't too clear about what these poor folks did to upset God so much; all it says is that they had "lusted." 11:33

Miriam and Aaron (Moses' brother and sister) criticize Moses for marrying an Ethiopian woman and thus breaking the law of God. But God makes it clear that his rules don't apply to his favorites, and he strikes Miriam with leprosy. Notice that only Miriam is punished, though both she and Aaron complained. 12:1, 9-10

More plagues and pestilence sent by God. God repeats one of his favorite promises: "your carcasses shall fall in this wilderness." 14:12, 29, 14:32-37

God punishes the children for the failings of their great-great grandfathers. 14:18

God killed those that murmured against him with a plague. 14:36-37

God gives more instructions for the ritualistic killing of animals. The smell of burning flesh is "a sweet savour unto the Lord." 15:3, 13-14, 24

The Israelites find a man picking up sticks on the sabbath. God commands them to kill him by throwing rocks at him. 15:32-36

Because of a dispute between Korah and Moses, God has the ground open up and swallow Korah, Dathan, and Abiram "and their wives, and their sons, and their little children." Then, just for the hell of it, God has a fire burn to death 250 "men that offered incense." 16:20-35

After God killed Korah, his family, and 250 innocent bystanders, the people complained saying, "ye have killed the people of the Lord." So God, who doesn't take kindly to criticism, sends a plague on the people. And "they that died in the plague were 14,700." 16:41-50

God threatens to kill those who murmur. To which the people reply, "Behold, we die, we perish, we all perish .... Shall we be consumed with dying?" 17:12-13

Stay away from holy things and places -- like churches. God might have to kill you if you get too close.18:3, 22, 32

God shows us how to make new friends by saying : "The stranger that cometh nigh shall be put to death." 18:7

God describes once again the procedure for ritualistic animal sacrifices. such rituals must be extremely important to God, since he makes their performance a "statute" and "covenant" forever. 18:17-19

The purification of the unclean. These absurd rituals, cruel sacrifices, and unjust punishments are vitally important to God. They are to be "a perpetual statute" for all humankind. 19:1-22

"And the Lord hearkened to the voice of Israel, and delivered up the Canaanites; and they utterly destroyed them and their cities." This verse demonstrates the power of prayer: If you ask God, he will destroy entire cities for you. 21:3

God sends "fiery serpents" to bite his chosen people, and many of them die. 21:6

God delivers the Amorites into Moses' hands. (You're in God hands with Moses.) So Moses does the usual thing, killing everyone "until their was none left alive." 21:34-35

God's people will kill like a lion and then "drink the blood of the slain." 23:24

God, who is as strong as a unicorn, will eat up the nations, break their bones, and then pierce them through with his arrows. What a guy! 24:8

After the people "commit *****dom with the daughters of Moab," Moses has them all killed. Then God tells Moses to hang their dead bodies up in front of him; God says that this will satisfy him. 25:1-5

When one of the Israelite men brings home a foreign woman, "Phinehas (Aaron's grandson) sees them and throws a spear "through the man .. and the woman through her belly." This act pleases God so much that "the plague was stayed from the children of Israel." But not before 24,000 had died. 25:6-9

For impaling the interracial couple, God rewards Phinehas and his sons with the everlasting priesthood. 25:10-13

God tells Moses how to care for his neighbors by saying: "Vex the Midianites, and smite them." 25:16-17

The ground swallow Korah and his companions and a fire consumes 250 men. 26:10

"And Nadab and Abihu died when they offered strange fire before the Lord." When you go camping avoid making any unusual fires. 26:61

In these chapters, God provides ridiculously detailed instructions for the ritualistic sacrifice of animals. The burning of their dead bodies smells great to God. Eleven times in these two chapters God says that they are to him a "sweet savour." 28 - 29

Under God's direction, Moses' army defeats the Midianites. They kill all the adult males, but take the women and children captive. When Moses learns that they left some live, he angrily says: "Have you saved all the women alive? Kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves." So they went back and did as Moses (and presumably God) instructed, killing everyone except for the virgins. In this way they got 32,000 virgins -- Wow! (Even God gets some of the booty -- including the virgins.) 31:1-54

God killed all the Egyptian firstborn. 33:4

God tells Moses to exterminate the residents of Canaan and destroy all of their religious symbols and possessions. 33:50-52

But if the Israelites don't kill them all, then God will make them pricks in their eyes and thorns in their sides. And he will do unto the Israelites as he planned to do to the inhabitants of Canaan. 33:55-56

"The revenger of blood" must murder the murderer just as soon as he sees him. 35:19, 21

When a murder is committed the blood pollutes the land. The only way to cleanse it is to spill more blood by killing the killer. 35:30, 33
Deuteronomy

"The Lord destroyed them before them" -- the general treatment of the people who were supposedly displaced by the Israelites. 2:21-22

All nations shall be terrorized by the followers of Yahweh. 2:25

God hardened the heart of the king of Heshbon and so that he could have him and all of his people killed. 2:30

At God's instructions, the Israelites "utterly destroyed the men, women, and the little ones" leaving "none to remain." 2:33-36

The Israelites, with God's help, kill all the men, women, and children of every city. 3:3-6

When going to war, don't be afraid. God is on your side; "he shall fight for you." 3:22

God destroyed the followers of Baalpeor. 4:3

God brought the Israelites out of Egypt "by war ... and by great terrors." 4:34

If someone makes an image of anything (like a bird or flower) then God will destroy the entire nation. 4:25-26

If you worship the wrong god, God will get jealous and kill you. 6:15

God instructs the Israelites to kill, without mercy, all the inhabitants (strangers) of the land that they conquer. 7:2

If you do show any mercy to such strangers, "give your daughters to any of them, or "take" any of their daughters, then you'll get God so angry that he'll "destroy thee suddenly." 7:4

God will kill those who hate him. 7:10

God commands his people to "consume all the people which the Lord thy God shall deliver thee; thine eye shall have no pity on them." 7:16

God will send hornets to kill your enemies, "for the Lord thy God is among you, a mighty God and terrible." 7:20-23

"If thou do at all forget the LORD thy God, and walk after other gods ... ye shall surely perish." 8:19-20

God is "a consuming fire" that destroys people. 9:3

"The blood of sacrifices shall be poured out ... and thou shalt eat the flesh." Isn't this the sort of thing that Satanists are accused of doing? 12:27

After God kills those of other faiths, be sure to reject their beliefs and do not learn about them. Otherwise God will have to kill you too. 12:30

Prophets and dreamers are to be executed if they say or dream the wrong things. 13:1-5

If your brother, son, daughter, wife, or friend tries to get you to worship another god, "thou shalt surely kill him, thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death." 13:6-10

If you hear of a city where another god is worshiped, then destroy everyone in the city (even the cattle) and burn it down. (Watch out Salt Lake!) 13:12-16

Kill everyone who has religious beliefs that are different from your own. 17:2-7

Anyone who will not listen to a priest or a judge must be executed. 17:12-13

False prophets are to be (you guessed it) executed. How do you know who is a false prophet? By whether or not their predictions come true. (Watch out Jehovah's Witnesses!) 18:20

Murderers and perjurers are to be executed -- "and thine eye shall not pity" them. 19:11-13, 18-21

"And thine eye shall not pity. Life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot." 19:21

God travels with people and fights in their wars. 20:4

In the cities that god "delivers into thine hands" you must kill all the males (including old men, boys, and babies) with "the edge of the sword .... But the women ... shalt thou take unto yourself." 20:13

"But of the cities ... which the Lord thy God doth give thee for an inheritance, thou shalt save alive nothing that breatheth." Kill the old men and women, the sick and the dying, the blind and the lame, pregnant mothers, nursing mothers, infants, toddlers, and babies. 20:16

If you find a dead body and don't know the cause of death, then get all the elders together, cut off the head of a heifer, wash your hands over its body, and say our hands have not shed this blood. (That'll do it!) 21:1-8

If you have a "stubborn and rebellious son," then you and the other men in your neighborhood "shall stone him with stones that he die." 21:18-21

Hang on trees the bodies of those who are "accursed of God." They make nice decorations. 21:22

If a man marries, then decides that he hates his wife, he can claim she wasn't a virgin when they were married. If her father can't produce the "tokens of her virginity" (bloody sheets), then the woman is to be stoned to death at her father's doorstep. 22:13-21

"If a man be found lying with a woman married to a husband, then they shall both of them die." 22:22

If a betrothed virgin is raped in the city and doesn't cry out loud enough, then "the men of the city shall stone her to death." 22:23-24

Legal disputes are settled by a judge who determines guilt or innocence. No lawyers or jury are needed. Those found guilty will be beaten with 40 stripes. 25:1-3

If two men fight and the wife of one grabs the "secrets" of the other, "then thou shalt cut off her hand" and "thine eye shall not pity her." 25:11-12

God commands the Israelites to "blot out the rembrance of Amalek from under heaven." A few hundred years later God orders Saul to kill of the Amalekites "both man and woman, infant and suckling." (1 Sam.15:2-3) 25:19

If you don't obey all of the laws that are given in the Old Testament, God shower you with the curses that are given in the next 52 verses. 28:16-68

"Cursed shall be the fruit of thy body." 28:18

God will send you "cursing, vexing, the pestilence, consumption, fever, inflammation, extreme burning, the sword, blasting, and mildew." 28:20-22

"And thy carcass shall be meat to all the fowls of the air." 28:25-26

"The Lord will smite thee with the botch of Egypt, and the emerods [hemorrhoids], and with the scab, and with the itch, whereof thou canst be healed. The Lord will smite thee with madness, and blindness, and astonishment of heart." 28:27-28

"Thine ox shall be slain before thine eyes." 28:31

Thy sons and thy daughters shall be given unto another people." 28:32

You will be enslaved and driven mad in another country. 28:33-34

"The Lord will smite thee in the knees, and in the legs, with a sore botch that cannot be healed, from the sole of thy foot unto the top of thy head." 28:35

You will be ruled by other nations, forced to serve other gods, become a laughingstock among your neighbors, have your crops destroyed by locusts, your vines eaten by worms, and have fruitless olive trees. 28:36-40

"Thou shalt begat sons and daughters, but thou shall not enjoy them; for they shall go into captivity." 28:41

"All these curses shall come upon thee ... and upon thy seed for ever." 28:48-49

God will enslave you and destroy you with hunger, thirst, hardship, and all kinds of deprivation. 28:48-52

"And thou shalt eat the fruit of thine own body, the flesh of thy sons and of thy daughters." 28:53-55

"The tender and delicate woman" will be forced to eat her own children "that cometh out from between her feet." 28:56-57

If you don't do as God says he'll send plagues to torment and destroy you. 28:58-64

"The LORD shall give thee there a trembling heart, and failing of eyes, and sorrow of mind." 28:65-67

God will have you sold to your enemies -- but even they won't buy you. 28:68

If you serve the gods of other nations, "all the curses that are in this book" will fall upon you. 29:18-20

"And the Lord will put all these curses upon thine enemies." See Dt.28:16-64 for some of the curses God has in mind. 30:7

Moses tells the people that God will destroy all the inhabitants of the lands that they pass through. 31:3

When God gets mad -- watch out! He'll starve you to death, burn you with fire, and send vicious beasts to devour you. He'll "destroy both the young man and the virgin, the suckling also with the man of gray hairs." Not even the helpless and innocent are spared by this psychotic God. 32:21-26

God says, "To me belongeth vengeance, and recompense ... for the day of their destruction is at hand." 32:35

God says, "I kill ... I wound ... I will make my arrows drunk with blood, and my sword shall devour flesh." Someone should take his sword and arrows away, at least until he's feeling better. 32:39-43
Joshua

God "magnifies" Joshua and promises to "without fail" drive out all the inhabitants of the lands through which they passed. 3:7

"And the city shall be accursed ... and all that therein, to the Lord: only Rahab the harlot shall live." God explains that Rahab is to be spared since she hid Joshua's spies and lied to those who were searching for them (2:4-5). But why was everyone else killed? Some of them were probably liars too. 6:17

"And they utterly destroyed all that was in the city, both man and woman, young and old, and ox, and sheep, and ass, with the edge of the sword." 6:21

After killing everyone, "they burnt the city with fire, and all that was therein." Only the valuables (silver, gold, brass, and iron) did they keep to "put into the treasury of the house of the Lord." 6:24

Joshua says that those who try to rebuild Jericho will be accursed by God, and will have to sacrifice both their oldest and their youngest sons in its construction. Well, Jericho still exists today, and is often considered to be the world's oldest, continuously occupied city. 6:26

God tells Joshua to kill whoever took "the accursed thing." 7:10-12

If you happen to see "the accursed thing," don't touch it. If you do, you, your family, and all of your animals must be burned. 7:15

"And Joshua ... took Achan ... and his sons, and his daughters, and his oxen, and his sheep... And all of Israel stoned them with stones, and burned them with fire, after they had stoned them with stones." This is because Achan "took of the accursed thing" -- whatever that means. But why would God require that Achan's sons and daughters (and even his animals) be stoned to death along with him? The Bible doesn't say. But it does tell us that "the Lord turned from the fierceness of his anger" when Achan, his children, and his animals were stoned to death and their dead bodies burned. 7:24-26

"When ye have taken the city [Ai] ... ye shall set the city on fire: according to the commandment of the LORD. 8:8

Joshua and his army, per God's instructions, slaughter "all the inhabitants of Ai." 8:22-26

Joshua hangs the king of Ai on a tree until evening. 8:29

After Joshua kills all the inhabitants of Ai, burns their city, and hangs their king on a tree, he kills some animals and burns them as a "peace offering" to his warlike God. 8:31

God curses the Gibeonites to be slaves of the Jews forever. 9:21-27

God slaughters the Amorites and chases them "along the way" as they try to escape. Then he sends down huge hailstones and kills even more of them. 10:10-11

In a divine type of daylight savings time, God makes the sun stand still so that Joshua can get all his killing done before dark. 10:12-13

God tells Joshua to "pursue after your enemies and smite the hindmost of them." (Kick their butts.) Don't let any of them escape "for the Lord your God hath delivered them into your hand." 10:19

Joshua tells his captains to "put your feet upon the necks of these kings." He says, "thus shall the Lord do to all of your enemies." Then Joshua kills the kings and hangs them on trees. 10:24-26

Joshua, at God's command, kills everyone and everything that he can find (including babies and little children)-- or, as the Bible puts it, he "utterly destroyed all that breathed, as the Lord commanded." 10:28-32

God delivers the Hazorites into Joshua's hand, and he knows just what to do with them: he smites them all with (you guessed it) the edge of the sword until "there was not any left to breathe." 11:6-17

"And Joshua did unto them as the LORD bade him: he houghed their horses." 11:9

"For it was of the Lord to harden their hearts, that they should come against Israel in battle, that he might destroy them utterly." Notice that God hardens their hearts so that he can have an excuse to kill them. 11:20

Caleb offers to give his daughter to whoever conquers the city of Debir. Caleb's nephew wins the contest and is given his cousin for a prize. 15:16-17

"Did not Achan son of Zerah commit a trespass in the accursed thing, and wrath fell on all the congregation of Israel?" To find out see Joshua 7:1-26. 22:20

"I plagued Egypt." 24:5

God brags about drowning the Egyptians. 24:7

"I gave them [the Amorites] into your hand, that ye might possess their land; and I destroyed them from before you." 24:8

"I delivered them into your hand." 24:11

God is jealous and will never forgive you for your sins. "He will turn and do you hurt, and consume you." 24:19-20
Judges

God appoints Judah to succeed Joshua. The Lord delivers his foes into his hands and another 10,000 are slain. In the process, they capture Adonibezek and "cut off his thumbs and great toes." Nice guys. 1:2-6

"They slew the Canaanites that inhabited Zephath, and utterly destroyed it ... And the Lord was with Judah." (You can tell by the number of innocent people he killed.) 1:17, 19

The Israelite spies killed everyone in Bethel, except for the man (and his family) who showed them how to enter the city. 1:25

Ehud delivers a "message from God" to the king of Moab. God's message consists of a knife thrust so deeply into the king's belly that it could not be extracted, "and the dirt came out." Just another lovely Bible story. 3:15-22

God "delivers" more folks into the hands of his chosen people. "And they slew of Moab ... about 10,000 men ... and their escaped not a man." 3:28-29

Shamgar kills 600 Philistines with an ox goad. Praise God. 3:31

"The Lord discomfited Sisera ... with the edge of the sword ... and there was not a man left." 4:15-16

Jael (our heroine) offers food and shelter to a traveler (Sisera, Jabin's captain), saying "turn in my Lord ... fear not." Then after giving him a glass of milk and tucking him in, she drives a tent stake through his head. "So God subdued on that day Jabin." 4:17-23

For murdering her guest while he slept, Jael is "blessed above women." (Hail Jael, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women....?) 5:24-26

"So let all thine enemies perish, O Lord." (Let them all have their temples pierced by blessed women.) 5:31

"The LORD said unto him, Surely I will be with thee, and thou shalt smite the Midianites as one man." God promises to help Gideon kill all the Midianites. 6:16

When Gideon and his water-lapping companions blow their trumpets, God forces all the enemy soldiers to kill each other, killing 120,000. 7:22, 8:10

Two princes are killed and their heads are brought to Gideon. 7:25

For refusing to feed him and his army, Gideon tears the flesh off the elders of Succoth and kills the men of the city. 8:7, 16

Gideon orders his son to kill two kings, but he refuses. So Gideon has to do it himself since his son isn't "man" enough to do it. 8:20

Abimelech kills 69 brothers "upon one stone." (He was trying to get in the Guinness Book of World Records.) 9:5

God sends evil spirits that cause humans to deal treacherously with each other. 9:23-24

God smites Sihon and all his people and gives their land to Israel. 11:21

"Whomsoever the LORD our God shall drive out from before us, them will we [the Israelites] possess." 11:24

When "the spirit of the Lord" comes upon Jephthah, he makes a deal with God: If God will help him kill the Ammonites, then he (Jephthah) will offer to God as a burnt offering whatever comes out of his house to greet him. God keeps his end of the deal by providing Jephthah with "a very great slaughter." But when Jephthah returns, his nameless daughter comes out to greet him (who'd he expect, his wife?). Well, a deal's a deal, so he delivers her to God as a burnt offering -- after letting her spend a couple of months going up and down on the mountains bewailing her virginity. 11:29-39

42,000 men are killed because someone mispronounces "shibboleth." 12:6

Samson rips up a young lion when "the spirit of the Lord came mightily upon him." Later, when going to "take" his Philistine wife he notices a swarm of bees and honey in the lion's carcass (a Divine miracle -- or just rotting flesh and maggots?). 14:5-8

"And the spirit of the Lord came upon him [Samson], and he ... slew thirty men." (Samson might have been a decent person if he could have kept the spirit of the Lord off him.) 14:19

Samson catches 300 foxes, ties their tails together, and sets them on fire; the Philistines burn Samson's ex-wife and father-in-law; and Samson smites them "hip and thigh with a great slaughter." 15:4-8

"The spirit of the Lord came mightily upon" Samson and "he found a new jawbone of an ass ... and took it, and slew 1000 men therewith." 15:14-15

Samson, with God's help, kills himself and 3000 Philistine men and women by causing a roof to collapse, setting an example for Bible-based terrorism. 16:27-30

The Danites massacre the "quiet and secure" people of Laish. 18:27

After taking in a traveling Levite, the host offers his virgin daughter and his guest's concubine to a mob of perverts (who want to have sex with his guest). The mob refuses the daughter, but accepts the concubine and they "abuse her all night." The next morning she crawls back to the doorstep and dies. The Levite puts her dead body on an ass and takes her home. Then he chops her body up into twelve pieces and sends them to each of the twelve tribes of Israel 19:22-30

God tells the Israelites to send the tribe of Judah into battle and 22,000 men were killed by the Benjamites. 20:18, 21

God tells Phinehas to fight against the Benjamites, saying he will deliver them into his hand. So the Israelites kill some more people for God. 20:38-41

God tells them to go to battle again and another 18,000 are killed. 20:23, 25

God helps the Israelites kill 25,100 Benjamites. 20:35

The Israelites killed everyone in the city with the edge of the sword. 20:37

Another 25,000 Benjamites are killed by the God-assisted Israelites. 20:44, 46

The Israelites finish their massacre of the Benjamites by killing all the men, animals, and everything they could find in every Benjamite city. Then they burned the cities to the ground. (In this way God helped the Israelites make everything better after the rape and dismemberment of the concubine.) 20:48

To find wives for the Benjamites (they were unwilling to use their own daughters), the other tribes attacked and killed all occupants of a city except for the young virgins. These virgins were then given to the Benjamites for wives. 21:7-23
Ruth (None)

1 Samuel

"The Lord killeth ..." -- every chance he gets. 2:6, 2:25

"The adversaries of the Lord shall be broken to pieces; out of heaven shall he thunder upon them." If God doesn't like you, he'll send a thunderstorm your way to break your body into little pieces. 2:10

God will kill those who sin against him. 2:25

If you piss him off, God will cut off your arm, consume your eyes, grieve your heart, and kill your sons and grandfathers. 2:31-34

God will punish Eli's descendants forever for the sins of Eli's sons. 3:12-13

God smites the people of Ashdod with hemorrhoids "in their secret parts." 5:6-12

God kills 50,070 men for looking into the ark. "And the people lamented, because the Lord had smitten many of the people with a great slaughter." 6:19

"I make a covenant with your, that I may thrust out all your right eyes." Deals like this can only be found in the Bible. 11:2

"And the spirit of God came upon Saul ... and he took a yoke of oxen, and hewed them in pieces, and sent them throughout all the coast of Israel." People do the darnedest things when the spirit of God comes upon them! 11:6-7

"Saul ... slew the Ammorites unto the heat of the day." Then he took a little break. After all, killing is hard work. 11:11

God delivers the Philistines into Jonathan's hand. And his very "first slaughter ... was about twenty men." Not bad for a first slaughter. 14:12

Under God's influence, the Philistines killed each other. 14:20

But later, Saul and his army kill all of those who had not already been killed. 14:36

God orders Saul to kill all of the Amalekites: men, women, infants, sucklings, ox, sheep, camels, and asses. Why? Because God remembers what Amalek did hundreds of years ago. 15:2-3

Saul killed everyone but Agag (the king) and the best of the animals. But still God was furious with Saul for not killing everything as he had been told to do. He said, "it repenteth me that I have set Saul up to be king." 15:7-26

Saul is rebuked by Samuel for "doing evil in the sight of the Lord" by failing to kill all of the Amalekites. 15:18-19

Because Saul didn't kill everyone as God commanded, God changes his mind about him being king. 15:23-26

To please God, Samuel hacks Agag in pieces "before the Lord" [I bet God enjoyed that!] -- after Agag pleads with him saying, "surely the bitterness of death has past." 15:32-34

After God rejects Saul for refusing to kill indiscriminately, he sends Samuel to find another king. David is chosen and anointed by Samuel, and "the spirit of the Lord came upon him from that day forward." 16:13

The evil spirit from the Lord
"But the spirit of the Lord departed from Saul [since he was not murderous enough for God], and an evil spirit from the Lord troubled him." But if God is good, then how could he have an evil spirit? 16:14-16, 23

David kills Goliath with his sling, beheads him, and carries the head back to Jerusalem. 17:51-57

David and Saul have a contest to see who can kill the most people for God, and the women act as cheerleaders saying, "Saul has killed his thousands, and David his tens of thousands." 18:6-7, 21:11, 29:5

David kills 200 Philistines and brings their foreskins to Saul to buy his first wife (Saul's daughter Michal). Saul had only asked for 100 foreskins, but David was feeling generous. 18:25-27

"David went out, and fought with the Philistines, and slew them with a great slaughter." 19:8

Saul kills 85 priests of Nob and all men, women, children, and animals in the city of Nob. 22:18-19

"David inquired of the Lord, saying, Shall I go and smite these Philistines? And the Lord said unto David, Go, and smite the Philistines ... So David smote them with a great slaughter." 23:2-5

David vows to kill "any that pisseth against the wall." 25:22, 34

"And it came to pass about ten days after, that the Lord smote Nabal, that he died." This was convenient for David who then took his property and his wife, Abigail. 25:38

"And David smote the land and left neither man nor woman alive." (No wonder God liked David so much!) 27:8-11

Saul visits a woman with a "familiar spirit" and she brings Samuel back from the dead. Samuel once again explains that God is angry at Saul for not killing all of the Amalekites. He says God is going to deliver all of Israel into the hands of the Philistines. (Since Saul refused to slaughter innocent people, God will slaughter the Israelites. Fair is fair.) 28:8-19

David spends the day killing more of those pesky Amalekites. They are completely wiped out again. (See 1 Sam.15:7-8, 20 and 27:8-9 for the last two times that they were exterminated.) 30:17
2 Samuel

David tells one of his "young men" to kill the Amalekite messenger who claimed to have mercifully killed Saul at Saul's own request. 1:15

Joab and Abner watch as the young men "play" a cruel game. "And they caught every one his fellow by the head, and thrust his sword in his fellow side, so they fell down together." 2:14

Abner smites Asahel "under the fifth rib." 2:23
(It seems that in 2 Samuel this is the preferred place to get smitten. 3:27, 4:6, 20:10)

When Joab (David's captain) kills Abner (by smiting him under the fifth rib of course), David says that he and his kingdom are not responsible. The blame, he says, lays with Joab. So David curses Joab, his family, and their descendants forever. Let them all be plagued with venereal diseases and leprosy, starve to death, commit suicide, or lean on staves. (The Revised Standard Version translates "leaneth on a staff" as "holds a spindle," apparently meaning effeminate -- real men don't spin or weave.) 3:27-29

Some of David's men kill Saul's son (by smiting him under the fifth rib, of course) and bring his head to David, thinking that he'll be pleased. But he wasn't. David has the assassins killed, their hands and feet chopped off, and their bodies hung up (for decorations?) over the pool in Hebron. 4:6-7

Whoever kills the lame and the blind will be David's "chief and captain." 5:8

"David ... grew great, and the LORD God of hosts was with him." 5:10

David asks God if he should kill some more Philistines. God says yes, and he'll even help. So David and God "smote the Philistines" again. 5:19, 25

"David smote them there, and said, The LORD hath broken forth upon mine enemies before me."
God helps David slaughter his enemies. 5:20

"When thou hearest the sound of a going in the tops of the mulberry trees ... then shall the LORD go out before thee, to smite the host of the Philistines." 5:24

Uzzah tries to keep the ark from falling off the cart, and God kills him for it. I guess it was God's way of saying Thanks. 6:6-7

David kills two thirds of the Moabites and makes the rest slaves. He also cripples the captured horses. 8:2-4

"David slew of the Syrians two and twenty thousand men ... and the Lord preserved David withersoever he went." 8:5-6, 14

David tells Joab (his captain) to send Bathsheba's husband (Uriah) to "the forefront of the hottest battle ... that he may be smitten and die." In this way, David gets another wife. 11:15, 11:17, 11:27

To punish David for having Uriah killed, God kills Bathsheba's baby boy. 12:14-18

David saws, hacks, and burns to death all the inhabitants of several cities. Maybe this is what is meant by "the tender mercies of David" (Acts 13:34). 12:31

Absalom has his servants kill his brother for raping his sister. (This chapter, which includes incest, rape, murder, should be rated NC-17.) 13:28-29

Poor Absalom gets his head caught in an oak tree, and before he can get free, Joab thrusts three darts through his heart. 18:14

Amasa is viciously slaughtered by Joab, who "shed out his bowels to the ground ... And Amasa wallowed in blood in the midst of the highway." 20:10, 12

"And they cut off the head of Sheba ... and cast it out to Joab." 20:21-22

A famine is sent on David's kingdom for three years. When David asks God why, God answers: "It is for Saul, and his bloody house, because he slew the Gibeonites. "So God sent a famine to punish a kingdom for something that a former king had done. 21:1

To appease God and end the famine that was caused by his predecessor (Saul), David agrees to have seven of Saul's sons killed and hung up "unto the Lord." 21:6-9

"He teacheth my hands to war." Might as well learn from an expert. 22:35

"Thou hast also given me the necks of mine enemies." 22:41

The chief of David's captains killed with his own spear 800 guys at one time. 23:8

God offers David a choice of punishments for having conducted the census: 1) seven years of famine ( 1 Chr.21:1 says three years), 2) three months fleeing from enemies, or 3) three days of pestilence. David can't decide, so God chooses for him and sends a pestilence, killing 70,000 men (and probably around 200,000 women and children). 24:13
1 Kings

In David's last words, he commands his son Solomon to murder Joab. 2:1-9

Solomon has his brother (Adonijah) murdered. 2:24-25

Solomon carries out the deathbed instructions of his father David by having Joab murdered. 2:29-34

Solomon justifies the murder of Joab by saying that Joab also was a murderer, and that the blood of Joab's victims "shall therefore return upon the head of Joab, and upon the head of his seed for ever." 2:33

But Solomon is not done murdering yet. He has Shimei murdered -- or as Solomon put it, "The Lord shall return thy wickedness upon thine own head." 2:44, 46

When the ark of the covenant was brought into the temple, Solomon killed more animals than could be numbered. 8:5

When dedicating the temple, Solomon kills 22,000 oxen and 120,000 sheep. All this blood and gore must have made God very happy. 8:63

Joab (David's captain) spent six months killing every male in Edom. 11:16

King Josiah is prophesied to sacrifice the priests of the "high places" on their altars. And he does so in 2 Kg.23:20. Note that this is a guy who "did what was right in the eyes of the Lord" (2 Kg.22:2). 13:2

Ever the playful spirit, God withers, and then restores, the hand of king Jeroboam. 13:4

There were these two prophets. The first prophet lied to the second. To the punish the second for believing the first's lie, God sends a lion to kill him. Get it? 13:11-24

God promises to "bring evil upon the house of Jerobaom," saying he will "cut off" anyone "that pisseth against the wall." Then, after he is done with them, their dead bodies will be eaten by dogs (if they are city dwellers) or fowls (if they are country folk). 14:10-12

Baasha kills "all of the house of Jeroboam" leaving none "to breath." This slaughter was done "according to the word of the Lord." 15:29

God says that "him that dieth of Baasha in the city shall the dogs eat; and him that dieth of his in the fields shall the fowls of the air eat." 16:4

Zimri kills everyone "that pisseth against a wall ... according to the word of the Lord." 16:11-12

When Hiel rebuilds Jericho, he lays the foundation with the body of his oldest son and sets up the gates with his youngest son's body "according to the word of the Lord." 16:34

Elijah kills 450 prophets of Baal. 18:22, 40

God delivers the Syrians into the Israelites hands, and 100,000 were killed in one day. Of those that escaped, 27,000 were crushed by a falling wall. 20:28-30

There was this son of a prophet that said to his neighbor, "kill me." But the neighbor refused. So God sent a lion to devour him. 20:35

The prophet tells king Ahab that he, and his people, shall be punished for releasing Ben-hadad: "Your life shall go for his life, and your people for his people." 20:42

Although Naboth was set up here by Jezebel to steal his land, the text assumes that the proper punishment for "blaspheming God and the king" is death by stoning. 21:10-13

"Thus saith the Lord, in the place where dogs licked the blood of Naboth shall dogs lick thy blood, even thine." 21:19

God will "bring evil upon" Ahab and "cut off" all those "that pisseth against the wall." 21:21

Jezebel (Ahab's "strange" wife) "stirred up" Ahab to "work wickedness in the sight of the Lord." To punish her, God will feed her dead body to the dogs. (He also plans to feed the city folk to the dogs and country folks to the birds.) 21:23-25

Jehoshaphat "did that which was right in the eyes of the Lord" and "took" the homosexuals (sodomites) "out of the land," or as the RSV says, "he exterminated" them. 22:43, 46
2 Kings

Ahaziah was sick and sent messengers to Baalzebub to ask if he would recover. God was jealous of the attention given to his competitor and tells Ahaziah that he will die for asking the wrong god. 1:4, 17

Elijah shows that he is "a man of God" by burning 102 men to death. 1:9-12

God sends two bears to rip up 42 little children for making fun of Elisha's bald head. 2:23-24

God instructs the Israelites, through the prophet Elisha, to implement a scorched earth policy on the Moabites. "Strike every fortified city and every choice city, and fell every good tree and stop all springs of water, and mar every good piece of land with stones." 3:19-25

In a desperate attempt to halt the slaughter of his people by the Israelites, the king of Moab sacrifices his oldest son as a burnt offering. And it seems to have worked! 3:27

Elisha not only can cure leprosy, he can also dish it out. Here he makes his servant (Gehazi) and all his descendants lepers forever. 5:27

"So we boiled my son, and did eat him." Women killed, boiled and ate their own children because of a plague that God sent, or as the Bible puts it: "Behold, this evil is of the Lord." 6:28-29, 33

A man is trampled to death for disbelieving Elisha. 7:17-20

God sends a famine on the people that lasts for seven years. 8:1

God says that the "whole house of Ahab shall perish," and that he "will cut off from Ahab him that pisseth against the wall." 9:8

"And the dogs shall eat Jezebel ... and there shall be none to bury her." 9:10

Jehu shoots an arrow right through poor old Jehoram's heart. 9:24

God has Jezebel thrown off a wall. Her blood is sprinkled on the wall and on the horses, by which she is trampled. Her body is eaten by dogs and all that remains of it is her hands, feet, and skull. God says that she "shall be as dung upon the face of the field." 9:33-37

All seventy of king Ahab's sons are killed, their heads put in baskets, and sent to Jezreel. He says, "Lay ye them in two heaps ..." 10:7-8

Jehu kills all that remained of king Ahab's family. 10:11

Jehu captures and then murders 42 men. 10:14

Jehu shows off his zeal for the Lord by murdering "all that remained unto Ahab in Samaria, till he had destroyed him according to the word of the Lord." 10:16-17

Jehu lied to the followers of Baal so that he could trap and kill them. 10:19

Jehu warns his guards saying, "If any of the men escape, he that letteth him go, his life shall be for the life of him." 10:24

Jehu, when he finishes his animal sacrifices, orders his men to "Go in, and slay them, let none come forth. And they smote them with the edge of the sword." 10:25

God is greatly pleased with all of Jehu's killings, saying "because thou hast done well in executing that which is right in mine eyes, and hast done unto the house of Ahab according to all that was in mine heart [Jehu murdered them all], thy children of the fourth generation shall sit on the throne of Israel." 10:30

Jehu captures and then murders 42 men. 10:42

When Athaliah "saw that her son was dead, she arose and destroyed all of the seed royal." 11:1

The priest has Athaliah and her followers killed. 11:15-16

The "Lord's people" destroyed the "house of Baal" and killed "the priest of Baal before the altars." 11:17-18

Amaziah "did that which was right in the sight of the Lord" and killed ten thousand Edomites. 14:3, 7

God strikes king Azariah with leprosy "unto the day of his death" for not removing the high places. 15:5

King Menahem rips up all the pregnant women in Tizzah "because they opened not to him." Does God approve of such acts? It's impossible to tell from this passage; the mass murder is simply reported without editorial comment. 15:16

God sent lions to devour the foreigners in Samaria because "they feared not the Lord," and even worse "they knew not the manner of the God of the land." Well that'll teach them about God's manners. 17:25-26

An "angel of the Lord" kills 185,000 men while they sleep. "And when they arose early in the morning, behold, they were all dead corpses." I guess they all woke up and said, "Shucks, I'm dead." 19:35

Josiah, apparently with God's approval, kills "all the priests of the high places" and sacrifices them to God on their altars. Note that this is a guy who "did what was right in the eyes of the Lord" (2 Kg.22:2). 23:20

Even though Josiah did all that God asked of him, God still punished him and all Jerusalem for the acts of his grandfather. 23:26
1 Chronicles

God killed Er for being "evil in the sight of the Lord." 2:3

The sons of Reuben made war with the Hagarites and "there fell down many slain, because the war was from God." They did pretty well for themselves, too, in God's war, taking 250,000 sheep and 100,000 slaves. 5:18-22

But the Israelites "transgressed against the God of their fathers, and went a whoring after the gods of the people of the land, whom God destroyed before them." So God inspired the Assyrians to go to war with the Israelites. 5:25-26

Saul died for refusing God's order to kill all of the Amalekites (15:2-3, 18-19) and for consulting a witch (1 Sam.28:8-19). 10:13-14

"David said, Whosoever smiteth the Jebusites first shall be chief and captain." 11:6

The chief of David's captains killed with his own spear 300 guys at one time. 11:11

God kills Uzza for trying to keep the ark from falling. 13:9-10

"The LORD said unto him, Go up; for I will deliver them into thine hand."
God tells David to go to war with the Philistines, promising to deliver them into his hand. 14:10

"God hath broken in upon mine enemies by mine hand."
God helps David slaughter his enemies. 14:11

"David therefore did as God commanded him: and they smote the host of the Philistines." 14:16

"David also houghed all the chariot horses." 18:4

David kills 7000 men in chariots and 40,000 footmen. 19:18

David's army "wastes the children of Ammon ... besieged Rabbah ... and destroyed it." 20:1

David tortures all the inhabitants of several cities "with saws, and with harrows of iron, and with axes." 20:3

God kills 70,000 men because David had a census. 21:7
2 Chronicles

Solomon, when dedicating the temple, killed 22,000 oxen and 120,000 sheep. All the blood, guts, pain, and suffering must have made God very happy. 7:5

God kills the king of Israel and helps Abijah kill 500,000 Israelites. "The children of Judah prevailed, because they relied upon the Lord God of their fathers." (That is, they had God on their side.) 13:15-20

In the largest single God-assisted massacre in the bible, Asa, with God's help, kills one million Ethiopians. 14:8-14

"Nation was destroyed of nation, and city of city: for God did vex them with all adversity." 15:6

Whoever that does not seek the God of Israel should be executed. 15:13

God inspired Jehoram's enemies to steal his wives and children. Then he made Jehoram so sick that his bowels fell out. 21:14-19

Only Levites can enter "the house of the Lord". "Whosoever else cometh into the house, he shall be put to death." 23:6-7

God told Jehu to kill everyone in the house of Ahab (and then later condemned him for it (Hosea 1:4)). 22:7-9

The priest (Jehoiada) tells the people to kill Athaliah and her followers. So they find her and kill her. "And all the people of the land rejoiced: and the city was quiet, after that they had slain Athaliah with the sword." (Don't you just love happy endings?) 23:14-15, 21

"Then all the people went to the house of Baal" and broke its altar into pieces and killed Mattan the priest of Baal. 23:17

Amaziah (who "did that which was right in the sight of the Lord") killed 10,000 people; another 10,000 he left alive to throw off a cliff "that they all were broken in pieces." 25:1-2, 11-12

God makes Uzziah a leper for burning incense without a license. 26:19-21

Pekah killed 120,000 people in one day and enslaves 200,000 women and children "because they had forsaken the Lord God of their fathers." 28:6, 8

The priests kill bullocks, rams, and lambs. The blood of the dead animals is then sprinkled on the altars. 29:22, 24

God sent an angel to kill the Assyrian army. (According to 2 Kg.19:35 the angel killed 185,000 sleeping soldiers who woke the next morning to discover that they were dead.) 32:21

God vows to "bring evil upon this place ... even all the curses that are written in the book." He says his "wrath shall be poured out upon this place, and shall not be quenched." 34:24-25, 28

God gets angry with his people, so he sends the king of the Chaldees to kill all the "young men with the sword." He has compassion for no one, not even old men that are "stooped for age." In his tender mercy and loving kindness he has them all slaughtered. 36:16-17
Ezra (None)

Nehemiah (None)

Esther

Esther has two men "hanged on a tree." 2:22-23

Esther has another man (Haman) hung. 7:6, 10

Esther suggests that the ten sons of Haman should also be hanged. So "they hanged Haman's ten sons. 9:13-14

The Jews kill 75,000. 9:16
Job

To start off God and Satan's gruesome game, Job's slaves and animals are killed. 1:14-17

God (or Satan -- it's hard to tell them apart) sends a wind that kills Job's sons and daughters. 1:18-19

"So went Satan forth from the presence of the LORD, and smote Job with sore boils from the sole of his foot unto his crown." 2:7

Because of God's cruel wager with Satan, Job curses the day he was born. 3:1-3, 11

God terrorizes people with arrows and poison. 6:4

God terrifies people by sending them nightmares while they sleep. 7:14

Speaking of God, Job says: "He teareth me in his wrath, who hateth me: he gnasheth upon me with his teeth." 16:9
Psalms

If you ask God, he'll force heathens to be your slaves and help you "dash them in pieces." 2:8-9

God has smitten his "enemies upon the cheek bone" and has "broken the teeth of the ungodly." 3:7

Kiss the Son or God will get angry and might have to kill you. 2:12

Christians often say that one should love the sinner but hate the sin. Perhaps, but God hates sinners and plans to destroy them. 5:5-6

God has prepared deadly weapons (swords, bows, etc.) and plans to use them. 7:11-13

If you pray to God, he will kill your enemies for you. 9:3-6

God will rain fire and brimstone on "wicked" folks. 11:6

The God of peace teaches us how to kill our neighbors in war. 18:34

If you make God angry, he'll burn you and your children to death. 21:9-10

God will shoot his adversaries in the back with his arrows. 21:12

A sweet prayer for the destruction of one's enemies: Let their way be dark and slippery: and let the angel of the LORD persecute them.... Let destruction come upon him at unawares." 35:6,8

God laughs at those that he will later torment. 37:13

If you forget God, God will tear you into pieces. 50:22

If you don't trust in God, he'll kill you and while you're dying the "righteous" will laugh at you. 52:5-7

Referring to his enemies, the psalmist says: "Let death seize upon them, and let them go down quick into hell." 55:15

The psalmist devoutly prays: "Break their teeth, O God, in their mouth ... let them be cut in pieces." 58:6-7

The psalmist asks God to kill all "the heathen" and not show them any mercy. 59:5

God will laugh at the heathen as he kills them. 59:8

"The righteous" will rejoice when he sees "the wicked" being dismembered by God. He'll even get a chance to wash his feet in their blood. Now that's entertainment! 58:10

"The God of mercy" will let the psalmist see his enemies tormented. 59:10

"Consume them in thy wrath, consume them." -- more sweet prayers to a savage god. 59:13

God will "wound the head of his enemies" so that the righteous can wash their feet "in the blood of thine enemies, and the tongue of thy dogs in the same." 68:21, 23

The psalmist prays that his enemies be tormented and blinded by God. He asks God to "make their loins continually to shake." 69:23-28

"The LORD heard this" (he had his hearing aid on) and became angry, and burned people "because they believed not in God." 78:21-22

"The wrath of God came upon them" and God killed many of the Israelites for not believing in "his wondrous works." 78:31-34

The psalmist asks God to " do unto them as unto the Midianites ... which became as dung for the earth." 83:9-18

If you don't follow God's commandments, he will beat you with a rod. 89:31-32

"A fire goeth before him, and burneth up his enemies round about." 97:3

"I will ... destroy all the wicked of the land." 101:8

God gives the lions their meat. The cruelty and brutality of nature are all part of God's plan. 104:21

The psalmist recounts God's treatment of the Egyptians: "He smote the firstborn in their land." See Ex.12:29-30 for the gory details. 105:29-36

God is praised for the creative ways that he kills people: drowning, earth-swallowing, burning, etc. 106:11-19

God sent a plague on the Israelites for "committing *****dom with the daughters of Moab." But "then stood up Phinehas, and executed judgment [by throwing a spear through a newly married couple]: and so the plague was stayed." But not before 24,000 (1 Cor.10:8 says 23,000) had died. (See Num.25:6-9 for all the gory details.) 106:29-30

The psalmist asks God to do all sorts of unpleasant things to his enemies. "Set thou a wicked man over him; and let Satan stand at his right hand .... Let his prayer become sin." He asks God to take away his possessions, kill him, and have his children suffer for the sins of their fathers. 109:6-14

God will "fill the places with dead bodies" of heathens. 110:6

God is praised for slaughtering kings, nations, and little babies. 135:8, 10

"To him that smote Egypt in their first born: for his mercy endures forever." 136:10

God "overthrew Pharaoh and his host in the Red sea: for his mercy endureth for ever." 136:15

God "smote great kings: for his mercy endureth for ever." 136:17-18

"Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones." 137:9

The psalmist excels at hating. He hates people with a "perfect hatred" and asks God to kill them. 139:19-22

A prayer that God will burn people to death. 140:10

The God of Peace teaches us to kill each other in war. 144:1

he saints praise God while they kill and enslave "the heathen." 149:5-8
Proverbs

Beating your children with a rod is a sure sign of parental love. 13:24

God made bad people for the pleasure of punishing them. 16:4

Fools are meant to be beaten. 18:6

Beat your children and don't stop just because they cry. 19:18

Scorners (skeptics?) should be condemned; fools should be beaten. 19:29

"The blueness of a wound cleanseth away evil: so do stripes the inward parts of the belly." 20:30

"The wicked shall be a ransom for the righteous." 21:18

Beating your children will make them less foolish. Have you beaten your child today? 22:15

Beat your children hard and often. Don't worry about hurting them. You may break a few bones and cause some brain damage, but it isn't going to kill them. And even if they do die, they'll be better off. They'll thank you in heaven for beating the hell out of them. 23:13-14

Whip horses and strike the backs of foolish people with rods. 26:3

Beating your children will make them wise. 29:15

Beat your servants (slaves), as though they were your children. 29:19

If you mock your father or disobey your mother, the ravens will pick out your eyeballs and the eagles will eat them. 30:17

"The wringing of the nose bringeth forth blood." 30:33
Ecclesiastes (None)

Song of Solomon (None)

Isaiah

"And ... instead of a sweet smell there shall be stink," with people suffering from baldness and burnings, and the men killed with swords. 3:24-25

After God "washed away the filth" from the women and killed the men, he set up "a cloud and smoke by day" and a "flaming fire by night." 4:4-5

God will kill those who despise his word and fail to follow his laws. Their carcasses will be "torn in the midst of the streets." 5:24-25

If you associate or gird yourself, God will break you in pieces. 8:9

God will have no mercy on the widows and children of hypocrites. 9:17

God will make every man kill his brother and then force him to eat "the flesh of his own arm." 9:19-20

God will "smite the earth with the rod of his mouth, and with the breath of his lips he shall slay the wicked." 11:4

"I have commanded my sanctified ones ... to destroy the whole land." God has his holy ones do his dirty work for him. 13:3-5

On God's day he will kill sinners with great anger, wrath, and cruelty. Those who die will have their faces consumed by flames. 13:6-9

If God can find you, he will "thrust you through," smash your children "to pieces" before your eyes, and rape your wife. He will have no mercy, but will even kill your little children. 13:15-18

God will slaughter children "for the iniquity of their fathers." 14:21

After God destroys Moab, the rivers will be red with blood. He will send lions to eat any survivors. 15:9

The God of Peace will set brother against brother and kingdom against kingdom. Then he'll make the survivors heed the counsel of "wizards," and subject them to a "cruel lord." 19:2-4

The Apocalypse of Isaiah: God will destroy the earth, burning everyone and every living thing alive (except maybe a few men). 24:1-6

"And the people shall ... be burned in the fire." 33:12

God is furious at everyone and is ready to kill them all. Or as Isaiah so delicately puts it: "Their stink shall come up out of their carcasses, and the mountains shall be melted with their blood." 34:2-3

God's sword "will be bathed in heaven." Sounds like a place to stay away from. 34:5

God's sword is "filled with blood," and he fully intends to use it. He'll kill so many people with it that the "land shall be soaked with blood." 34:6-8

An angel of God kills 185,000 men. "And when they [those killed by the angel?] arose early in the morning, behold, they were all dead men." 37:36

God will "go forth as a mighty man" who cries and roars, and "will cry like a travailing woman." After he tires of roaring and crying he'll "destroy and devour." What a guy. 42:13

God makes Egypt, Ethiopia, and Seba pay for Israel's sins. He says that he likes Israel better than any other country so he's willing to sacrifice other countries for the Israel's sake. 43:3-4

No astrologer, stargazer, or prognosticator will be able to save those that God plans to burn to death. 47:13-14

God "will do his pleasure on Babylon." (He will mercilessly slaughter the Babylonians.) 48:14

"I will feed them that oppress thee with their own flesh; and they shall be drunken with their own blood, as with sweet wine." 49:26

"The heavens shall vanish away like smoke, and the earth shall wax old like a garment, and they that dwell therein shall die in like manner." (God plans to destroy the universe.) 51:6

"I will ... trample them in my fury; and their blood ... will stain all my raiment." (God's clothes will get stained with the blood of humans.) 63:2-6

"God's servants" will eat, drink, and be merry; everyone else will be hungry, thirsty, and ashamed -- until God kills them, that is. 65:13-16

God will "plead with all flesh" with fire and sword, "and the slain of the Lord shall be many." 66:16

The carcasses of those killed by God will be piled high. They will rot and burn forever. And although their stench will be revolting to humans, it will be a sweet savour unto the Lord. 66:24
Jeremiah

God tries to "correct" people by killing their children. 2:30

Circumcise the foreskin of your heart or God will burn you to death. 4:4

God will bring evil to entire cities, destroying them and wipe out all of their inhabitants. 4:6-7

What was once fruitful is now barren. Birds have fled, people are gone, towns are in ruins. All "by his (God's) fierce anger." 4:25-26

God sends plagues and violence to correct people. 5:3

God will send lions and leopards to tear people into little bitty pieces. 5:6

God will kill those who believe and preach the wrong doctrines. 5:12-13

God again talks of bringing a foreign nation to destroy his chosen ones and their lands. 5:15-17

"I am full of the fury of the Lord; I am weary of holding it in." He's anxious to "pour it out" on children, young men, husbands, wives, and old people. 6:11-12

God threatens to punish the men by taking away all of their property, including their wives, and giving them to others. 6:12

God plans to kill pretty much everyone: fathers and sons, family, friends, and neighbors. God plans to kill them all after laying a stumbling block before them. 6:21

God will send soldiers from the north that will kill everyone and have no mercy. 6:22-23

God will pour out his anger on both man and beast. Not even the trees will be spared from his wrath. And the ground itself will burn forever. 7:20

God will feed the people to the birds and the beasts, "and none shall fray them away." 7:33

God will cover the earth with dead bodies that will not be buried. "They shall be for dung upon the face of the earth." 8:2

People will choose to kill themselves, rather than be killed by their vicious God. 8:3

God will give the people bad food and water, and then kill them with a sword. 9:15-16

God will kill children and young men, and the dead bodies "shall fall as dung .... and none shall gather them." 9:21-22

"Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will punish all them which are circumcised with the uncircumcised." I guess that'd include just about everyone -- well, all the men anyway. 9:25-26

Jeremiah prays for the destruction of people and families that don't call on God's name. 10:25

God "will bring evil upon" people from which they will not be able to escape. And if they cry out to him for help, he will not help them. 11:11

God forbids others from praying for his victims. Such prayers would go unanswered anyway, he says, because he "will not hear them in their time of trouble." 11:14

God will punish the people by killing their young men in war and starving their children to death. 11:22

Jeremiah asks God to drag away his enemies like "sheep for the slaughter." 12:3

God delivered his people "into the hand of her enemies." He "hates" his "dearly beloved" people and plans to feed them to the birds. 12:7-9

God's sword will "devour" everyone until "no flesh shall have peace." 12:12

If any nation does not listen to God, he "will utterly pluck up and destroy that nation." 12:17

God plans to make everyone in the kingdom drunk and then "dash the fathers and the sons together." The merciful God of Peace vows to "not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy them." 13:13-14

God tells Jeremiah not to pray for the people. God has decided to kill them all and he doesn't want to be talked out of it. 14:11

God will ignore the peoples' prayers, and kill them all with war, starvation, and disease. 14:12

God will destroy by famine and sword those who are misled by the prophets, as well as the prophets themselves. 14:15-16

God tells Jeremiah not to bother praying for the people. Even if Moses and Samuel (and Jesus?) were to ask him to reconsider, he wouldn't. He's going to kill everybody and nobody can stop him! 15:1

God plans to do four things to his people: 1) kill them with swords, 2) tear their flesh with dogs, 3) have the birds, and 4) the beasts eat their bodies. Why will he do these terrible things? Because of something some former king did. 15:2-4

God again threatens Jerusalem with mass destruction. Here are some of the highlights: He will kill children, make more widows than there are grains of sand, terrorize cities, and then kill the survivors. 15:7-9

God will have you enslaved and, if you make him mad enough, he will burn you to death. 15:14

God tells Jeremiah not to get married or have children, because he's going to kill everyone (mothers and daughters, fathers and sons). They all "shall die of grievous deaths," and that shall neither "be lamented" nor buried, but "shall be as dung upon the face of the earth." For he has removed peace, "lovingkindness," and mercy from the people. 16:1-7

God will kill children if their parents worship other gods. 16:10-11

If you don't honor the Sabbath, God will burn you to death unquenchable fire. 17:27

God admits that he does evil things to people. 18:11

Jeremiah asks God to kill the young men in war and the children by starvation. 18:21

God will do so much evil to the people that whoever hears of it will have their ears tingle. 19:3

God will make parents eat their own children, "and they shall eat everyone the flesh of his friend." 19:7-9

God will break those who worship other gods as though they were made of clay, killing so many that there will not be enough room to bury them all. 19:11-13

"For thus saith the LORD, Behold, I will make thee a terror to thyself, and to all thy friends: and they shall fall by the sword of their enemies, and thine eyes shall behold it." 20:4

God himself will fight and kill everyone in fury "with an outstretched hand and with a strong arm." 21:5

"I will smite the inhabitants of this city, both man and beast: they shall die of a great pestilence." 21:6

God will deliver Zedekiah and those that survive the famine, disease, and war into Nebuchadrezzar's hand, and "he shall smite them with the edge of the sword; he shall not spare them, neither have pity, nor have mercy. 21:7

God tells the Judeans to either surrender to the Babylonians and become their slaves or die. "Behold, I am against thee." No kidding. 21:9-13

God will have Jeconiah's enemies kill him and his mother and then ensure that he die without leaving any sons. 22:25-30

God promises to kill everyone by war, starvation, and disease. 24:10

God will force "all the kingdoms of the world" to drink "and be drunken". Then he'll kill "all the inhabitants of the earth" with a sword. 25:26-29

God will kill so many people that the entire earth will be covered with their dead bodies. No one is to mourn them or even bury them; "they shall be dung upon the ground." 25:31-33

God will destroy "the peaceable habitations" and make the land desolate "because of his fierce anger." 25:37-38

Anyone who disobeys King Nebuchadnezzar will be punished "with the sword, and with the famine, and with the pestilence, until I have consumed them by his hand." 27:8

God kills Hananiah for prophesying falsely. 28:15-17

God will send his usual blessings upon his people: "the sword, the famine, and the pestilence." He "will make them like vile figs, that cannot be eaten, they are so evil." 29:17-18

God will kill those who refuse listen to his prophets. 29:19

God will deliver Ahab and Zedekiah into the hands of Nebuchadrezzar "and he shall slay them before your eyes" and Ahab will be "roasted in the fire." 29:21-22

God will punish the children of Shemaiah for their father's false prophecy. 29:32

God litters the ground "with the dead bodies of men" that he has killed in his anger and fury. 33:5

God threatens again to send his people the sword, pestilence, and famine, saying he'll feed their dead bodies to the fowls and beasts of the earth. 34:17-20

All those who move to Egypt will die by the sword, famine, or pestilence. None "shall escape from the evil" that comes directly from God. 42:15-18, 22

When God pours forth his fury and his anger, entire cities are destroyed. 44:6

God's not finished with Judah. He will bring more evil upon them. Even those Jews that flee to Egypt will not be spared. God will hunt them down and kill them all with war, famine, and disease. 44:11-13

"I will watch over them for evil, and not for good." 44:27

God says he will bring evil upon all flesh. 45:5

The day of the Lord will be "a day of vengeance." On that day God's sword will become drunk with blood. 46:10

God plans to drown the Philistines in a flood, and "all the men shall cry, and all the inhabitants of the land shall howl." 47:2

God plans to kill just about everybody. "No city shall escape." 48:8

"Cursed by he that keepeth back his sword from blood." 48:10

God will destroy everyone in Moab. Fire will burn their heads, and their sons and daughters will be taken captive. 48:42-47

God will cause the daughters of Rabbah to be burned with fire. 49:2

God will send such marvelous plagues on Edom that everyone will hiss in astonishment. 49:17

God plans to "bring evil upon" the people of Elam. He says he'll kill them all with a sword. 49:37

God says to do the usual thing to the inhabitants of "the land of Merathaim": kill them all. 50:21

God commands that all Babylonian bullocks be slaughtered, that archers shoot all Babylonians, and that all their men be killed in war. 50:27-30

God, the pyromaniac, will personally set the fires that will burn to death the inhabitants of entire cities. 50:32

God plans to kill all the Babylonian horses, and to make the Babylonian men "become like women." (A fate worse than death to a misogynous god.). 50:37

God wants us to be his "battle axe and weapons of war" to "break in pieces the nations" and "destroy kingdoms." 51:20

God will "break in pieces" nations and kingdoms, horse and rider, man and woman, old and young, young man and maid, the shepherd and his flock, husbandman and his yoke of oxen, captain and kings. It seems that God intends to break us all into pieces. 51:21-23

God will get the Babylonians drunk and then kill them all, leading them "like lambs to the slaughter." 51:39-40
Lamentations

God tramples "as in a winepress" mighty men, young men, and virgins. 1:15-16

"The Lord Was an enemy." 2:4-8

God mercilessly kills everyone, young and old. He even causes women to eat their children. 2:20-22

God is like a bear or a lion who secretly pursues you and then tears you apart. 3:10-11

"Give them sorrow of heart, thy curse unto them. Persecute and destroy them in anger." 3:63-64

God punishes the Israelites by starving their children to death. 4:4-9

God "accomplishes his fury" by making women eat their children. 4:10-11
Ezekiel

If a good person does something wrong after God "lays a stumbling block before him," then God will kill him. "He shall die in his sin" and whatever good he has done will be forgotten. 3:20

God will cause the fathers to eat their sons and the sons to eat their fathers. 5:10

God will slaughter everyone by killing one third with plagues, one third with famines, and one third with wars. If any somehow survive, he'll send "evil beasts" to devour them. Finally, after he's done killing, he "will be comforted." 5:11-17

God will decorate the land with the bones and dead bodies of those who worship a different god. 6:4-5

God makes his presence known by killing people with famine, disease, and war. 6:7-14

God will pour out his fury on everyone, with pity toward none. By so doing he says that "ye shall know that I am the Lord that smiteth." Indeed, who would else would behave so viciously? 7:3-9

God's is mad at everyone and no one will escape his wrath. He'll kill them all with war, disease, and starvation. "Horror shall cover them" and "they shall know that I am the Lord." 7:14-28

God promises again to slaughter everyone. He says that he will ignore them when they plead with him for mercy. 8:18

God sends a "man clothed with linen" to mark the foreheads of the men who will be saved. Apparently only men are considered good enough to keep, the others (unmarked men, "maids", little children, and women) are to be slaughtered. God says he'll "fill the courts with the slain" and will have pity on no one. 9:4-10

When you fall by the sword, you'll know that he is the Lord. 11:8-12

When God kills everyone in the city, then you'll know that he is the Lord. (Who else would be so cruel?) 12:15-16, 20

God gets mad at a wall and destroys it, along with those who worked on it. 13:14-15

God again vows to destroy those that dare worship something or someone other than him. 14:6-8

God deceives some of his prophets and then kills them for believing his lies. 14:9

When really bad things happen (like you get eaten by wild beasts, get killed in war, get sick and die, etc.), then you'll know that it was God that did it to you. 14:13, 15, 19, 21

God will burn the inhabitants of Jerusalem to show everyone that he is the Lord. 15:6-7

For being such a *****, God punished Jerusalem by starving the Israelites and handing them over to the Philistines. 16:17

After exposing her nakedness, God will give her "blood in fury and jealousy" and strip her naked once more. 16:38-41

God gave the Israelites "statutes that were not good and judgments whereby they should not live." He "polluted" them so that he "might make them desolate" and force them to kill and sacrifice their children "that they might know" that he is the Lord. 20:25-26

God will set a fire in the southern kingdom that will devour everything and burn everyone. "And all flesh shall see that I the LORD have kindled it." 20:47-48

God will kill everyone -- good and bad, just and unjust. 21:3-4

God describes the various ways that he will kill people. 21:8-32

"Thou shalt be for fuel to the fire; thy blood shall be in the midst of the land ... for I the LORD have spoken it." 21:32

God will gather all of Israel and consume them in the fires of his anger. 22:20-22

God couldn't find anyone to stand up to him, so he's going to destroy everyone. 22:30-31

Two sisters were guilty of "committing *****doms" by pressing their breasts and bruising "the teats of their virginity." As a punishment, one sister's nakedness was discovered, her children were taken from her, and she was killed by the sword. And the fate of the surviving sister was even worse: Her nose and ears were cut off, she was made to "pluck off" her own breasts, and then after being raped and mutilated, she is stoned to death. 23:1-49

God gets all excited about cooking with "scum" and human flesh, saying "kindle the fire, consume the flesh, and spice it well, and let the bones be burned." 24:3-14

God kills Ezekiel's wife and then tells him not to mourn her. 24:15-18

God will kill everyone that claps his hands or stamps his feet "against the land of Israel." When he's done with the killing everyone will know that he is the Lord. 25:6-17

God says he will destroy Tyrus. He plans to kill everyone, but he is especially looking forward to killing all of the women. "And her daughters which are in the field shall be slain by the sword; and they shall know that I am the LORD." 26:1-21

Now God has singled out the king of Tyre for his tirades. 28:7-10, 18-19

Watch out or God will make you "die the deaths of the uncircumcised," which is, no doubt, a most unpleasant death. 28:10

God says that Zidon will know that he is the Lord when he sends "pestilence and blood into her streets." 28:22-23

God tells Ezekiel to prophesy against the pharaoh and against all Egypt. God says he will feed the Egyptians to the birds and beasts. 29:2-5

God makes "all their loins to be at a stand." When this is achieved, God will get out his sword and "cut off man and beast out of thee." Ouch! 29:7-9

God will punish Egypt and her allies by sending Nebuchadrezzar to "fill the land with the slain." Then he will make "the rivers dry," sell the land to "the wicked," make "the land waste," light fires, and kill all their young men with the sword. 30:4-26

"And they shall know that I am the LORD, when I have set a fire in Egypt." (The Divine Pyromaniac) 30:8, 30:14, 30:16

God will treat Pharaoh like a whale fished out of the sea. Every bird and beast in the world will feed upon him. 32:3-6

God will vex the hearts of many people, destroy entire nations, brandish his sword, kill animals, and cause floods. In this way people will come to know him (just before he kills them?). 32:9-15

God takes a break from killing people while he kills all the animals in Egypt. 32:13

Pharaoh and all his multitude, along with the uncircumcised, will be killed with the sword. 32:20-32

If a "righteous" person does something wrong, God will forget every good thing that that person has ever done. Then God will kill him for the single mistake. 33:13

God plans some more killing by the sword, beasts, and the pestilence. 33:27-29

God will kill everyone in the cities, "and thou shalt know that I am the LORD." 35:3-4

"And I will fill his mountains with his slain men, and ye shalt know that I am the LORD." 35:6-9

God will return their own anger and hatred upon them, "and they shall know that I am the LORD." 35:11-15

Someday the God of Peace will start a war between Gog and Israel. 38:16

God will cause each man's sword to be against his brother; he will send disease and make it rain fire and brimstone. He says that by doing this he'll magnify and sanctify himself and let everyone know that he is the Lord. 38:21-23

God will have birds and beasts eat human flesh and drink human blood until they are full and drunken. 39:4, 17-20, 28

God "will send a fire on Magog ... and the heathen shall know that I am the Lord." 39:6-7

God hid his face from the Israelites, refusing to hear their prayers, while giving "them into the hand of their enemies: so fell they all by the sword." 39:23-24
Daniel

Nebuchadnezzar, after first trying to burn to death the three Hebrews, now decrees that everyone who says anything against the Hebrew god "shall be cut in pieces, and their houses shall be made a dunghill." 3:29

King Darius, after trying to feed Daniel to the lions, orders those who accused Daniel (and their wives and children) to be cast into the lion den. "And the lions ... brake all their bones in pieces." 6:24
Hosea

God (or Hosea?) tells his children that their mother is a ***** who is not his wife. He asks them to tell their mother to "put away her *****doms" and "her adulteries from between her breasts" or he'll "strip her naked ... and slay her with thirst." 2:2-3

God will tear up Ephraim like a lion so that "in their affliction they will seek me." 5:14

"Woe unto them! for they have fled from me: destruction unto them!" 7:13

For ignoring God "their princes shall fall by the sword." 7:16

"I will send a fire upon his cities." 8:14

God will induce miscarriages and kill the children of Ephraim. 9:11-12

"O Lord: what wilt thou give? give them a miscarrying womb and dry breasts." 9:14

"I will slay even the beloved fruit of their womb." 9:16

God will punish Israel by "dashing" together mothers and their children. 10:14

The blame for Ephraim's bloody destruction falls on Ephraim, not on God. Even though God is the one who brings it about. 12:14

God will rip humans apart and then eat them like a lion.13:7-8

Because the Samaritans chose to worship another deity, God will dash their infants to pieces and their "women with child shall be ripped up." 13:16
Joel

"Beat your plowshares into swords and your pruninghooks into spears." 3:10
Amos

The divine pyromaniac threatens to "send fire unto" Hazael, Gaza, Tyrus, Teman, Rabbah, Moab, and Judah. 1:4, 7, 10, 12, 14; 2:2, 5

God will "slay all the princes" of Moab.2:3

God destroyed the Amorites who were a race of giants as tall as cedars and as strong as oaks. 2:9

God afflicts the Israelites with "cleanness of teeth" (famine) and drought. And then he wonders why they don't turn to him. 4:6-9

God sends the pestilence, kills young men with the sword, and makes t1e "stink of your camps to come up unto your nostrils." 4:10

God tells the Israelites to seek him or he'll kill 90% of them. 5:3-4

Seek God or he'll burn you to death. 5:6

When there is wailing and mourning, you'll know God's been there. 5:16-17

God says, "If there remain ten men in one house, that they shall die." 6:9

"The LORD commandeth, and he will smite the great house with breaches, and the little house with clefts."
(God will destroy people's houses.) 6:11

In the first of Amos' visions, God makes some grasshoppers and sends them to devour the peoples' crops. 7:1-2

Next God sends a fire that consumes both land and sea. 7:4

God will kill the house of Jeroboam with the sword, and force the Israelites into captivity. 7:9-11

Amos tells Amaziah that his wife will become a *****, his children will be killed, and he'll die in a pagan country. 7:17

God tells Amos that the end has come for the people of Israel. He won't wait any longer to kill them all. 8:2

God will kill so many people that dead bodies will lay everywhere. 8:3-14

God will "slay the last of them with the sword." Any that try to escape by diving to the bottom of the sea will be bitten, at God's command, by a serpent. God will set his "eyes upon them for evil, not for good." 9:1-4

God will destroy the "the sinful kingdom" and "all the sinners" among his people. 9:8-10
Obadiah

The Israelites hear "a rumor from the Lord" telling them to start a war with the Edomites. 1, 8

God tells Israelites to "destroy the wise men out of Edom" and to slaughter "everyone of the mount of Esau." 8-9

God will burn all the heathen to death, "for the LORD hath spoken it." 16-18
Jonah (None)

Micah

God will destroy Samaria with stones. 1:6

Plucking off skin, flesh from bones, eating human flesh, flaying off skin, breaking bones, chopping bodies in pieces, making human stew. All this and more will happen to God's favorite people. But when they "cry unto the Lord, he will not hear them." 3:2-4

God will strengthen the Israelites so they can "beat in pieces many peoples" and give the booty to God. 4:13

"They shall waste the land of Assyria with the sword." 5:6

Like a young lion "the remnant of Jacob" will tear the Gentiles to pieces. 5:8

"Thine hand shall be lifted up upon thine adversaries, and all thine enemies shall be cut off." 5:9

God will "cut off" the witches and soothsayers. 5:11-12

God will destroy entire cities, and "execute vengeance in anger and fury upon the heathen such as they have not heard." 5:14-15

God will make his people sick, hungry, and desolate. Those who survive he will "give up to the sword." 6:13-16

The Gentiles will be made deaf, shall lick dust and be forced to crawl like worms from fear of God and his people. 7:16-17
Nahum

God doesn't just get even. He drowns his enemies. 1:8

"Behold, I am against thee, saith the LORD of hosts, and I will burn her chariots." 2:13

"There is a multitude of slain, and a great number of carcasses; and there is none end of their corpses; they stumble upon their corpses." Now that's a lot of dead people. 3:3

God punished Nineveh by enslaving the people and smashing the little children in the streets. 3:10

God says that "the fire shall devour thee, the sword shall cut thee off, it shall eat thee up like the cankerworm." 3:15

Habakkuk

"Before him [God] went the pestilence, and burning coals went forth at his feet." 3:3-5

Habakkuk praises God for slaughtering "the heathen." 3:12
Zephaniah

God plans to kill every living thing. 1:2-3

God will "cut off" all those who "have not sought the Lord" or who worship another god. 1:4-6

God will "bring distress upon men" so that they "walk like blind men." He will pour out their blood like dust and "their flesh as dung." 1:17

God will kill all the inhabitants of the sea coast. 2:5

God will destroy Moab and Ammon just like he did to Sodom and Gomorrah. 2:9

God will be "terrible" to humans and will "famish all the gods." 2:11

God will kill the Ethiopians with his own sword. 2:12

God destroyed entire cities, killing all the inhabitants. 3:6

"All of the earth shall be devoured with the fire of my jealousy." 3:8
Haggai

"I [God] will overthrow the chariots, and those that ride in them ... every one by the sword of his brother." 2:22
Zechariah

"For I set all men every one against his neighbor." 8:10

God will cast out Tyrus and devour it with fire. 9:4

God will mercilessly "feed the flock of slaughter" by making every one kill his neighbor. 11:6

"Let the rest eat every one the flesh of another." 11:9

"Woe to the idle shepherd." He will be mutilated and blinded. 11:17

God will open his eyes and smite "every rider with madness ... and every horse ... with blindness." 12:4

A prophet must be killed by his own parents by "thrusting him through when he prophesieth." 13:3

God will make "all nations" fight against Jerusalem. The women will be "ravished" and half its people enslaved. 14:1-2

God will smite the people with plagues that will cause their flesh, eyes, and tongues to rot away. 14:12

God will make everyone fight and kill his neighbor. 14:13

God sends his plagues on animals too. 14:15

Whoever survives all these plagues and slaughters must worship God. 14:16

God will "smite the heathen" with a plague. 14:18
Malachi

God continues to demand animal sacrifices. And not just any animals will do. He is insulted when blind, lame, or sick animals are killed for him. 1:8, 13-14

God will burn "the wicked" and the "righteous" will walk around on their ashes. 4:1-3

The Old Testament ends fittingly with these words: "lest I come and smite the earth with a curse." 4:6
Matthew

Those who bear bad fruit will be cut down and burned "with unquenchable fire." 3:10, 12

Jesus strongly approves of the law and the prophets. He hasn't the slightest objection to the cruelties of the Old Testament. 5:17

Jesus recommends that to avoid sin we cut off our hands and pluck out our eyes. This advice is given immediately after he says that anyone who looks with lust at any women commits adultery. 5:29-30

Jesus says that most people will go to hell. 7:13-14

Those who fail to bear "good fruit" will be "hewn down, and cast into the fire." 7:19

"The children of the kingdom [the Jews] shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth." 8:12

Jesus tells a man who had just lost his father: "Let the dead bury the dead." 8:21

Jesus sends some devils into a herd of pigs, causing them to run off a cliff and drown in the waters below. 8:32

Cities that neither "receive" the disciples nor "hear" their words will be destroyed by God. It will be worse for them than for Sodom and Gomorrah. And you know what God supposedly did to those poor folks (see Gen.19:24). 10:14-15

Families will be torn apart because of Jesus (this is one of the few "prophecies" in the Bible that has actually come true). "Brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the child: and the children shall rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death." 10:21

Jesus says that we should fear God who is willing and "able to destroy both soul and body in hell." 10:28

Jesus says that he has come to destroy families by making family members hate each other. He has "come not to send peace, but a sword." 10:34-36

Jesus condemns entire cities to dreadful deaths and to the eternal torment of hell because they didn't care for his preaching. 11:20-24

Jesus will send his angels to gather up "all that offend" and they "shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth." 13:41-42, 50

Jesus is criticized by the Pharisees for not washing his hands before eating. He defends himself by attacking them for not killing disobedient children according to the commandment: "He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death." (See Ex.21:15, Lev.20:9, Dt.21:18-21) So, does Jesus think that children who curse their parents should be killed? It sure sounds like it. 15:4-7

Jesus advises his followers to mutilate themselves by cutting off their hands and plucking out their eyes. He says it's better to be "maimed" than to suffer "everlasting fire." 18:8-9

"And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors." 18:34

In the parable of the marriage feast, the king sends his servants to gather everyone they can find, both bad and good, to come to the wedding feast. One guest didn't have on his wedding garment, so the king tied him up and "cast him into the outer darkness" where "there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth." 22:12-13

Jesus had no problem with the idea of drowning everyone on earth in the flood. It'll be just like that when he returns. 24:37

God will come when people least expect him and then he'll "cut them asunder." And "there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth." 24:50-51

The servant who kept and returned his master's talent was cast into the "outer darkness" where there will be "weeping and gnashing of teeth." 25:30

Jesus tells us what he has planned for those that he dislikes. They will be cast into an "everlasting fire." 25:41

Jesus says the ****ed will be tormented forever. 25:46
Mark

Jesus explains why he speaks in parables: to confuse people so they will go to hell. 4:11-12

Jesus sends devils into 2000 pigs, causing them to jump off a cliff and be drowned in the sea. When the people hear about it, they beg Jesus to leave. 5:12-13

Any city that doesn't "receive" the followers of Jesus will be destroyed in a manner even more savage than that of Sodom and Gomorrah. 6:11

Jesus criticizes the Jews for not killing their disobedient children as required by Old Testament law. (See Ex.21:15, Lev.20:9, Dt.21:18-21) 7:9-10

If you're ashamed of Jesus, he'll be ashamed of you. (And you'll go straight to hell.) 8:38

Jesus tells us to cut off our hands and feet, and pluck out our eyes to avoid going to hell. 9:43-49

Jesus says that those that believe and are baptized will be saved, while those who don't will be ****ed. 16:16
Luke

God strikes Zacharias dumb for doubting the angel Gabriel's words. 1:20

Those who fail to bear "good fruit" will be "hewn down, and cast into the fire." 3:9

John the Baptist says that Christ will burn the ****ed "with fire unquenchable." 3:17

Jesus heals a naked man who was possessed by many devils by sending the devils into a herd of pigs, causing them to run off a cliff and drown in the sea. This messy, cruel, and expensive (for the owners of the pigs) treatment did not favorably impress the local residents, and Jesus was asked to leave. 8:27-37

Jesus says that entire cities will be violently destroyed and the inhabitants "thrust down to hell" for not "receiving" his disciples. 10:10-15

Jesus says that we should fear God since he has the power to kill us and then torture us forever in hell. 12:5

Jesus says that God is like a slave-owner who beats his slaves "with many stripes." 12:46-47

According to Jesus, only a few will be saved; the vast majority will suffer eternally in hell where "there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth." 13:23-30

In the parable of the rich man and Lazarus, the rich man goes to hell, because as Abraham explains, he had a good life on earth and so now he will be tormented. Whereas Lazarus, who was miserable on earth, is now in heaven. This seems fair to Jesus. 16:19-31

Jesus believed the story of Noah's ark. He thought it really happened and had no problem with the idea of God drowning everything and everybody. 17:26-27

Jesus also believes the story about Sodom's destruction. He says, "even thus shall it be in the day the son of man is revealed ... Remember Lot's wife." This tells us about Jesus' knowledge of science and history, and his sense of justice. 17:29-32

In the parable of the talents, Jesus says that God takes what is not rightly his, and reaps what he didn't sow. The parable ends with the words: "bring them [those who preferred not to be ruled by him] hither, and slay them before me." 19:22-27
John

As an example to parents everywhere and to save the world (from himself), God had his own son tortured and killed. 3:16

People are ****ed or saved depending only on what they believe. 3:18, 36

The "wrath of God" is on all unbelievers. 3:36

Jesus believes people are crippled by God as a punishment for sin. He tells a crippled man, after healing him, to "sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee." 5:14

Those who do not believe in Jesus will be cast into a fire to be burned. 15:6

Jesus says we must eat his flesh and drink his blood if we want to have eternal life. This idea was just too gross for "many of his disciples" and "walked no more with him." 6:53-66
Acts

Peter claims that Deuteronomy 18:18-19 refers to Jesus, saying that those who refuse to follow him (all non-Christians) must be killed. 3:23

Peter and God scare Ananias and his wife to death for not forking over all of the money that they made when selling their land. 5:1-10

Peter has a dream in which God show him "wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls." The voice (God's?) says, "Rise, Peter: kill and eat." 10:10-13

Peter describes the vision that he had in the last chapter (10:10-13). All kinds of beasts, creeping things, and fowls drop down from the sky in a big sheet, and a voice (God's, Satan's?) tells him to "Arise, Peter; slay and eat." 11:5-6

The "angel of the Lord" killed Herod by having him "eaten of worms" because "he gave not God the glory." 12:23

David was "a man after [God's] own heart." 13:22

The author of Acts talks about the "sure mercies of David." But David was anything but merciful. For an example of his behavior see 2 Sam.12:31 and 1 Chr.20:3, where he saws, hacks, and burns to death the inhabitants of several cities. 13:34

Paul and the Holy Ghost conspire together to make Elymas (the sorcerer) blind. 13:8-11
Romans

Homosexuals (those "without natural affection") and their supporters (those "that have pleasure in them") are "worthy of death." 1:31-32

The guilty are "justified" and "saved from wrath" by the blood of an innocent victim. 5:9

God punishes everyone for someone else's sin; then he saves them by killing an innocent victim. 5:12
1 Corinthians

If you defile the temple of God, God will destroy you. 3:17

Paul claims that God killed 23,000 in a plague for "committing *****dom with the daughters of Moab 10:8

If you tempt Christ (How could you tempt Christ?), you'll will die from snake bites. 10:9

If you murmur, you'll be destroyed by the destroyer (God). 10:10
2 Corinthians (None)

Galatians (None)

Ephesians

We are predestined by God to go to either heaven or hell. None of our thoughts, words, or actions can affect the final outcome. 1:4-5, 11

God had his son murdered to keep himself from hurting others for things they didn't do. 1:7

The bloody death of Jesus smelled good to God. 5:2

Those who refuse to obey will face the wrath of God. 5:6
Philippians (None)

Colossians

God bought us with someone else's blood. 1:14

God makes peace through blood. 1:19-20
1 Thessalonians

God is planning a messy, mass murder in "the wrath to come" and only Jesus can save you from it. 1:10
2 Thessalonians

Jesus will take "vengeance on them that know not God" by burning them forever "in flaming fire." 1:7-9

Jesus will "consume" the wicked "with the spirit of his mouth." 2:8

God will cause us to believe lies so that he can **** our souls to hell. 2:11-12
1 Timothy (None)

2 Timothy (None)

Titus (None)

Philemon (None)

Hebrews

God will not forgive us unless we shed the blood of some innocent creature. 9:13-14, 22

Those who disobeyed the Old Testament law were killed without mercy. It will be much worse for those who displease Jesus. 10:28-29

The Israelites kept the passover and sprinkled blood on doorposts so that God wouldn't kill their firstborn children (like he did the Egyptians in Exodus 12:29). 11:28

God ordered animals to be "stoned, or thrust through with a dart" if they "so much as ... touch the mountain." 12:20
James

If you are merciless to others, God will be merciless to you. (Two wrongs make a right.) 2:13

James says Abraham was justified by works (for being willing to kill his son for God); Paul (Rom.4:2-3) says he was justified by faith (for believing that God would order him to do such an evil act). 2:21
1 Peter

We are all, according to Peter, predestined to be saved or ****ed. We have no say in the matter. It was all determined by "the sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ."1:2

"The precious blood of Christ ... was foreordained before the foundation of the world."
God planned to kill Jesus from the get-go. 1:19-20

God drowned drowned everyone on earth except for Noah and his family. 3:20
2 Peter

God drowned everyone else on earth except for Noah and his family. 2:5, 3:6

God will set the entire earth on fire so that he can burn non-believers to death. 3:7

When Jesus returns, he'll burn up the whole earth and everything on it. 3:10
1 John

Jesus' blood washes away human sin. 1:7
2 John (None)

3 John (None)

Jude

"The Lord destroyed them that believed not." 5
Revelation

Jesus "washed us ... with his own blood." 1:5

Everyone on earth will wail because of Jesus. 1:7

Jesus has "the keys of hell and death." 1:18

Repent -- or else Jesus will fight you with the sword that sticks out of his mouth. (Like the limbless knight in Monty Python's "Holy Grail.") 2:16

"I [Jesus] will kill her children with death." 2:23

"Thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created." God created predators, pathogens, and predators for his very own pleasure. One of his favorite species is guinea worms. 4:11

"Thou art worthy ... for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood." 5:9

God gives someone on a white horse a bow and sends him out to conquer people. 6:2

God gave power to someone on a red horse "to take from the earth ... that they should kill one another." 6:4

God tells Death and Hell to kill one quarter of the earth's population with the sword, starvation, and "with the beasts of the earth." 6:8

The martyrs just can't wait until everyone else is slaughtered. God gives them a white robe and tells them to wait until he's done with his killing spree. 6:10-11

God tells his murderous angels to "hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of your God on their foreheads." This verse is one that Christians like to use to show God's loving concern for the environment. But the previous verse (7:2) makes it clear that it was their God-given job to "hurt the earth and the sea" just as soon as they finished their forehead marking job. 7:3

144,000 Jews will be going to heaven; everyone else is going to hell. 7:4

Those that survive the great tribulation will get to wash their clothes in the blood of the lamb. 7:14

God sends his angels to destroy a third part of all the trees, grass, sea creature, mountains, sun, moon, starts, and water. 8:7-13

"Many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter." 8:11

The angels are instructed not to "hurt the grass [how could they? He already had all the grass killed in 8:7] ... but only those men which have not the seal of God on their foreheads." God tells his angels not to kill them, but rather torment them with scorpions for five months. Those tormented will want to die, but God won't let them. 9:4-6

God makes some horse-like locusts with human heads, women's hair, lion's teeth, and scorpion's tails. They sting people and hurt them for five months. 9:7-10

Four angels, with an army of 200 million, killed a third of the earth's population. 9:15-19

Anyone that messes with God's two olive trees and two candlesticks (God's witnesses) will be burned to death by fire that comes out of their mouths. 11:3-5

God's witnesses have special powers. They can shut up heaven so that it cannot rain, turn rivers into blood, and smite the earth with plagues "as often as they will." 11:6

After God's witnesses "have finished their testimony," they are killed in a war with a beast from a bottomless pit. 11:7

Their dead bodies lie unburied for three and a half days. People will "rejoice over them and make merry, and shall send gifts to one another." After another three and half days God brings his witnesses back to life and they ascend into heaven. 11:8-12

When the witnesses ascend into heaven, an earthquake kills 7000 men. This was the second woe. "The third woe cometh quickly." 11:13-14

"The Lamb slain from the foundation of the world"
God planned to kill Jesus before he created the world. 13:8

Those who receive the mark of the beast will "drink of the wine of the wrath of God ... and shall be tormented with fire and brimstone ... and the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever." 14:10-11

"The great winepress of the wrath of God ... was trodden ... and the blood cam out of the winepress, even unto the horses bridles." 14:19-20

Seven angels with seven plagues are filled with the wrath of God. 15:1, 15:7

The seven vials of wrath: 1) sores, 2) sea turned to blood, 3) rivers turned to blood, 4) people scorched with fire, 5) people gnaw their tongues in pain, 6) Euphrates dries up, 7) thunder, lightning, earthquake, and hail. 16:1-21

God gave the saints and prophets blood to drink. 16:6

"They shall eat her flesh and burn her with fire." (Are they going to eat her first and then burn her?) 17:16-17

To punish her God will send plagues and famine, and "she will be utterly burned with fire." 18:8

God will send plagues, death, and famine on Babylon, and the kings "who have committed fornication with her" will be sad to see her burn. 18:8-9

Jesus makes war. 19:11

With eyes aflame, many crowns on his head, clothes dripping with blood, a sword sticking out of his mouth, and a secret name, Jesus leads the faithful into holy war. 19:12-15

"Come ... unto the supper of the great God." An angel calls all the fowls to feast upon the flesh of dead horses and human bodies, "both free and bond, both small and great." 19:17-18

The beast and the false prophet are cast alive into a lake of fire. The rest were killed with the sword of Jesus. "And all the fowls were filled with their flesh." 19:20-21

God will send fire from heaven to devour people. And the devil will be tormented "day and night for ever and ever." 20:9-10

Whoever isn't found listed in the book of life will be cast into the lake of fire. 20:15

All liars, as well as those who are fearful or unbelieving, will be cast into "the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone." 21:8

Thats a starter on verses of cruelty and violence.
If we were to go into intolerance or family values, you get a similar number.

I wont do the Koran, in deference to this being an islamic website.

If I read all the above verses, which i strongly advise you DONT. Then you can see why I have to consider the possibility, that the God of this particular religion isnt merciful. This is only the Bible. If i was to try and do a list of post-bible history and events that God has either shown malevonace or just ignored whats happening here, it makes it a little hard to accept that my last pay rise was his benevolence or that I could find his mercy in the laughter of a baby or the warmth of the summer sun.

barney
04-03-2008, 10:24 AM
Owch...double posted all that lot!

'Abd al-Baari
04-09-2008, 03:19 PM
Greetings,

Thank you very much for the [long long] post, i have to admit that i haven't read it all but i have read some.

I don't really know what to say about the post, as they are quotes from the Bible, which i don't know much about, nor about Christianity :-[

Anyways, through the post you were trying to show that a God that is merciful cannot be, if he is also [threating to punish?]. For me this is just showing that God is Just. I can understand how a person would [by reading the quotes^] think that God is not merciful, but there are no quotes there that are showing God as merciful, kind and beneficial. [Which i think there are plenty of too in the Bible.]

I can provide lots of quotes from the Qura'an which shows Allah as merciful and benevolent, but i think that there will be no purpose in that as you've already read them i guess:?

Thanks again for the post :D

:peace:

Karina
04-09-2008, 04:09 PM
I didn't click any of the answers as I don't know either.

Barney I like your posts on this thread, you have actually articulated a lot of stuff that I always have swimming around in my head!

I think that sometimes I do really wonder if any of my words would fall onto listening ears, and sometimes, out of frustration or sadness, I do verbalise my thoughts - speaking to "whoever" may be listening, but I'm not sure if I would call this praying....?

BTW ... Yesterday a friend of mine died in a car accident :cry: and I felt myself speaking to her last night, in desperate hope that she was listening to me. I do view "life after death" with the same caution as I do with focusing my energy on worshipping a higher being, but I know speaking to something or someone "out there" kinda gives a sense of hope, purpose and a way of coping.

Great thread :thumbs_up

barney
04-09-2008, 08:57 PM
Karina, so sorry to hear about your loss. I know my sorry dosn't help, but aye, I talk to my lost loved ones. I dont know if they can hear of course, but it cant hurt.

We naturally want hope as you say, and religion gives hope. As a man who's very dubious about organised religion, i recognise that benifit it brings.

Umayr, I could point out a similar list from the Koran. It would be a lot shorter. I wont however.

You are correct that there are verses in both books that will show gods benevolence. Off the top of my head, manna in the desert to feed the israelites, water to wine to get the party going.

All the acts of benevolence pale into the shadows compared with the malevolence and cruelty. Even when god is acting benevolently he's "handing enemies to the Israelites".
A benevolant Rainbow to show that he wont kill everyone on earth by flooding again, starts to look a bit shoddy when your gazing at it accross the 7000000 dead of the 2005 Tsunami.

In my opinion, a God who can kill a child for being born to a rape victim, or slaughter kids for laughing, or kill every single firstborn of a nation, needs to do something pretty freaking spectacularly benevolent before I give him a single atom of my respect. Let alone my love and adoration.
Rewarding a people who are kind for example.
Lets take the 1983 Live aid concert. The whole UK nation raised a absolute fortune to feed the dying millions of Africa.
Now you might have thought that a benevolent God,(who was letting those people starve in the first place, would reward the people of Britain. Make them prosperous, make them enjoy a nicer climate, free them from disease, reward their farmers with bumper yeilds of corn, Transport Manchester into the seventh hell?

The Giving of life in the first place is often quoted as a benevolence.
I buy into that actually. I think a creating force , to provide the initial kickstart to the universe, that was a good thing. Perhaps it all was an accident, but we can thank the initial energy force, (God), for doing that, if it cant hear us, then theres no harm done. :)

جوري
04-10-2008, 01:27 AM
here is a sura that always gives me hope in trying times...
in fact over the past few yrs, I have lost my uncle, my aunt, both my grandmothers, my best friend and just last satuday my uncle's wife, she was only 41..
anyhow.. hope this is a source of comfort..

Media Tags are no longer supported

translation...

IN THE NAME OF GOD, THE MOST GRACIOUS, THE DISPENSER OF GRACE:

1) CONSIDER the bright morning hours,

(2) and the night when it grows still and dark.*

* The expression "bright morning hours" apparently symbolizes the few and widely-spaced periods of happiness in human life, as contrasted with the much greater length of "the night when it grows still and dark", i.e., the extended periods of sorrow or suffering that, as a rule, overshadow man's existence in this world (cf. 90 : 4). The further implication is that, as sure as morning follows night, God's mercy is bound to lighten every suffering, either in this world or in the life to come - for God has "willed upon Himself the law of grace and mercy" (6:12 and 54).

(3) Thy Sustainer has not forsaken thee, nor does He scorn thee:*

*Sc., ''as the thoughtless might conclude in view of the suffering that He has willed thee to bear".

(4) for, indeed, the life to come will be better for thee than this earlier part [of thy life]!

(5) And, indeed, in time will thy Sustainer grant thee [what thy heart desires], and thou shalt be well-pleased.

(6) Has He not found thee an orphan, and given thee shelter?*

*Possibly an allusion to the fact that Muhammad was born a few months after his father's death, and that his mother died when he was only six years old. Apart from this, however, every human being is an "orphan" in one sense or another, inasmuch as everyone is "created in a lonely state" (cf. 6:94), and "will appear before Him on Resurrection Day in a lonely state" (19:95).

(7) And found thee lost on thy way, and guided thee?

(8) And found thee in want, and given thee sufficiency?

(9) Therefore, the orphan shalt thou never wrong,

(10) and him that seeks [thy] help shalt thou never chide,*

*The term sa'il denotes" literally, "one who asks", which signifies not only a "beggar" but anyone who asks for help in a difficult situation, whether physical or moral, or even for enlightenment.

(11) and of thy Sustainer's blessings shalt thou [ever] speak.*

*Sc., "rather than of thy suffering".

barney
04-10-2008, 11:29 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss Eve. :(

Your post is a good example of how people can find comfort in the scriptures. I doubt that in many Churches, and I dont know about Mosques, that the Clerics and clergy dwell upon the verses I posted above that center around pain and punishment.

Religion is a great source of comfort to many and certainly my daughter at the moment, who's learning about the ark at school, is concentrating on the message of Animals going aboard, God saving noah and his family and the rainbow of promise.
The school are dancing lightly over the genocide of the human race bit.
For which I am truely thankful.

جوري
04-11-2008, 12:01 AM
Thank you for your thoughtfullness...

Now, I think if religion centered around rewards and punishment as is portrayed in the media or often talked about through blogs, it would be a grievous thing indeed...

that is not what I personally get out of it.. but I believe that your views of God and religion, theology in general evolve as you grow old.. I don't want to use a wine or a cheese analogy.. but there are layers that go from the superficial to deep... and you'll get out of it, what you personally put into it.. if one holds on to sophmoric ideaologies, then I am afraid it won't be anything more than a focus on rewards or punishment...

to me there is a sense of peace, purpose, fulfillment, desires, and a chance at immortality and bliss with all my lost loved ones... wherever I go I know Allah swt will be my champion, guradian, and friend...

Now you might think differently.. but even through inauspicious events, I can always see where he had a direct hand at making it easy for me.. when you say he doesn't listen or respond I highly disagree...

let me share another story that happened two tuesdays ago..

I have been having problems with my car every day, my bro. took it to get fixed before I came down here, and the mechanic charged a bazillion bucks to have everything done from new battery to wires etc...I am now away from my home town so I can't even take it to get looked at..

on tuesday, it wouldn't start as usualy, I gave it a go as I usually do several times to no avail, and I was going to be late for morning rounds so I left it behind and grabbed a cab, was in the worst possible mood, picked phone screamed at me brother, made him feel really bad, which made me feel bad in the process... anyhow, during break, took another cab home, and decided to look under the hood see if something was amiss... my friend managed to find the maintenance guy from the building who was actually a former mechanic. He came down did his thing, I let the car run for 30 minutes and really had no idea where to take it to have it looked at.. while recharging it, it died again, as another guy was pulling into the garage, he came and gave it a jolt... I left and went to a gas station, where I found a bearded guy and asked him if he knew any good mechanics, he kept giving me directions, then told me, 'just follow me', so I did, and I ended up at midas (it is a popular chain mechanics) here in states which I was grateful for, as I pull into their drive way, the car dies... which was astounding...

I could ***** and whine over why my pathfinder can't find any path and is so crappy, or I can be grateful that throughout the entire day Allah swt sent me one guy after the next to help me, and spared me the car dying during the drive or a shady shop, but right at the very moment where I pull into the mechanics' shop it died so they'll know exactly what is wrong with it..

Now I can tell you as I pulled in there, I know nothing about cars and felt like they would tak advantage of me, but they diagnosed it for free, and it turned out to be something called a 'pulley' that wasn't making contact with alternator which also explained that bloody awful noise it made every time I drove.. the whole thing cost me $39 al7mdlilah.. and I got it the same day... in fact I spent more on taxis that day than having it fixed..

moral of the story, when you hand yourself to Allah completely and have faith, he really will take care of you.. I can't say I had the best disposition but with every step I asked only for his help that day... and no matter how bad off you are, you are really never alone.. he sends his help to you through his many instruments...

Anyhow this was one example out of many.. the best thing any of us can do, is just live to serve him, and the gains are truly staggering...

sob7an Allah... Sob7an Allah il3atheem..

peace

barney
04-11-2008, 12:34 AM
Thanks for your experiences.

You probably consider an agnostic unable to comprehend the feeling of peace and love that a Theist receives from their deen, but I'm pretty sure I have an Idea.

After my dad died, we were stood in the church at his funeral. I was gritting my teeth keeping everything in in a cyclone of emotion.
The organ started playing and everyone started singing and I was feeling completly gutted and empty.
i looked at my Mum, who is a baptist born again Christian. She had her hands raised in praise and her eyes closed, but was completly filled with peace and the certainty that her husband, who was atheist, was with her Lord.

The contrast between me and her was stunning and i suddenly realised what her faith meant to her. Hope comfort and in the darkest of times someone to heal her greif and help her.
It's why i never start badgering her about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, or what Noah did with all the animal poo.

To bring the thread back, sort of, (now theres a first for me), I had a similar journey last december. the lights were failing on the barneymobile and the engine was stuttering and spitting. I knew what was up with it, but at 6 AM on a B-road in the Derbyshire countryside, theres not a darned thing that I could do about it.
Cut a long story short, the engine died as i pulled onto my driveway. It died cos i let the revs drop below 3000. I said "Thank God!". Then I had a think for a second, stuck my head out of the window and said "thanks God!"

I repaired the car and was considering the possibilitys. Did the engine die at that point because of my superskill at keeping it going all the way home? What were the chances that i could make it back?
in the end, I came to the conclusion, that it might have been God helping out a bit, or that that was a slim possibility. It certainly made me think.

I set off and 40 mins out the engine blew up, the skys opened up and I had a dead mobile battery.

A few weeks later, coming back home from Derby, i saw a old man at the side of a country road. this was 11Pm and he was trying to jack up his car with a flat tyre. i stopped and in the dark and cold under the light of my headlights, I whipped off his wheel and replaced it.
"God bless you" he said to me.
"No sweat matey" spake I, then i said...."Are you religious by the way?"
"I'm christian" he said " Perhaps God sent you to me"
"Well, he works in mysterious ways! " I said, and drove off.

جوري
04-11-2008, 01:14 AM
Great post... deserved a rep...indeed you never know who your lord's hosts are on this earth...

cheers

kirk
04-11-2008, 02:49 AM
If my life were in danger I would swear.

However if the assailint were within earshot I would swear quietly so that he could not hear me ;)

k

Eye-OfThe-Storm
11-18-2008, 03:38 PM
Allah makes clear this issue in a powerful metaphor about the ingratitude and hypocrisy of human beings in Ayah's 22 and 23 of Surah Yunus.

"He it is (God) Who enableth you to traverse through land and sea; so that ye even board ships;- they sail with them with a favorable wind, and they rejoice thereat; then comes a stormy wind and the waves come to them from all sides, and they think they are being overwhelmed: (then) they cry unto Allah, making their faith pure for Him only: 'If Thou deliver us from this, we truly will be of the thankful.' " [10:22]
"Yet when He hath delivered them, behold! they rebel in the earth wrongfully. O mankind! Your rebellion is only against your own souls. (Ye have) enjoyment of the life of the world; then unto Us is your return and We shall show you the truth of all that ye did. "[10:23]

Eye-OfThe-Storm
11-18-2008, 03:41 PM
Re posting in clearer size. (Dunno why this forum does not let you edit posts. Kind of annoying)

Allah makes clear this issue in a powerful metaphor about the ingratitude and hypocrisy of human beings in Ayah's 22 and 23 of Surah Yunus.

"He it is (God) Who enableth you to traverse through land and sea; so that ye even board ships;- they sail with them with a favorable wind, and they rejoice thereat; then comes a stormy wind and the waves come to them from all sides, and they think they are being overwhelmed: (then) they cry unto Allah, making their faith pure for Him only: 'If Thou deliver us from this, we truly will be of the thankful.' " [10:22]
"Yet when He hath delivered them, behold! they rebel in the earth wrongfully. O mankind! Your rebellion is only against your own souls. (Ye have) enjoyment of the life of the world; then unto Us is your return and We shall show you the truth of all that ye did. "[10:23]

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.