/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 'Satanic Verses' premiere passes off peacefully

Uthman
03-31-2008, 12:08 PM
POTSDAM, Germany (AFP) — The first ever stage play based on Salman Rushdie's book "The Satanic Verses" passed off without incident in Germany on Sunday with police in attendance in case of disturbances."It all went well," police spokesman Rudi Sonntag said.

There had been no specific threats but there was a moderate police presence inside and outside the venue "as a preventative measure" after complaints from some Muslim groups, the police spokesman said.

Iran's late revolutionary leader Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini issued a fatwa -- or religious decree -- in 1989 calling on Muslims to kill Rushdie for what the leader said were insults to Islam in his book. Officially the fatwa still stands.

There had been fears that Sunday's play might become another flashpoint in tensions between Europe and the Muslim world.

There have been protests in a number of Islamic countries after Danish newspapers last month reprinted a drawing of the Prophet Mohammed that offended many Muslims. Police had uncovered a plot to murder the cartoon's author.

Dutch far-right MP Geert Wilders provoked further anger this week by posting on the Internet his film "Fitna" attacking Islamic ideology.

Such fears appeared unfounded over Sunday's play however. Some members of the 400-strong audience at the theatre in Postdam near Berlin even confided to reporters that at three and a half hours long, the play had been "boring."

Rushdie, an Indian-born Muslim educated in Britain, was forced into hiding for nearly a decade. He was knighted by Britain's Queen Elizabeth II in 2007, a move that sparked a new wave of protest across the Muslim world.

The play was reworked for the stage by the manager of the Hans Otto Theatre, Uwe Eric Laufenberg, and dramatist Marcus Mislin -- with Rushdie's consent.

On Friday the president of the German Islamic Council, Ali Kizilkaya, told AFP that his organisation had publicly complained.

"We regret that the religious sentiments of Muslims are being treated in a provocative manner," Kizilkaya had said.

The general secretary of the Central Council of Muslims in Germany, Aiman Mazyek, urged Muslims to remain calm and engage in a "critical and constructive dialogue" about the issues the play raises.

But he also questioned whether the play might go too far.

"Freedom of expression and of art is important but offences against what is sacred in a religion is not something we value," he told RBB public radio.

In 2006, Berlin's German Opera House hastily pulled a staging of Mozart's "Idomeneo" featuring the severed head of the Prophet Mohammed over fears of protests by Muslims.

After a heated debate about self-censorship, the opera finally went ahead under tight security.

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
muslimah_online
04-06-2008, 05:27 PM
they would make such film just for the sake of what? oscar? unreasonable and unrespectful

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-06-2008, 05:31 PM
No, to just really tick us off. I just laugh really cause they might be making fun of us but they are the ones in reality who look like the fools :) lol. Your just supporting them by giving them any importance.

Salaam

Uthman
04-06-2008, 05:35 PM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by Jazzy
Your just supporting them by giving them any importance.
Yeah, good point!

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
kirk
04-07-2008, 03:13 AM
The thing to do is to discuss the specific verses Rushdie is talking about.

Without such a discussion, saying bad things about his book is meaningless.

-

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-07-2008, 04:53 PM
No because there is nothing satanic about any verses in the Qur'an. But I agree it doesn't hurt to discuss them, I suppose.

czgibson
04-08-2008, 12:53 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by muslimah_online
they would make such film just for the sake of what? oscar? unreasonable and unrespectful
For the sake of art.

Peace

shahidiceprince
04-08-2008, 02:15 PM
I don't know what's so controversial about his book cuz I've not read it. But I can say that the book's gonna make me angry if I read it. Hence, I've avoided reading it. This has made me moderate whenever I see Rushdie's name in the news. I guess all Muslims should do the same thing and forgive, but not forget.

Muezzin
04-08-2008, 02:17 PM
Am I the only one who wasn't even aware of this premiere?

Oh, it's a play, not a film. Chalk that up to my unculturedness.

kirk
04-09-2008, 02:56 AM
I’ll buy the book and then we can discuss it after I read it.

-

IbnAbdulHakim
04-09-2008, 12:58 PM
^ dont buy it just download it.

dont waste your money on rubbish :p

------
04-09-2008, 01:01 PM
:salamext:

^ LOL 2 right....

Muezzin
04-09-2008, 02:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
^ dont buy it just download it.

dont waste your money on rubbish :p
Or alternatively, one could go to the library.

That way, one would not be in breach of copyright law.

shahidiceprince
04-13-2008, 01:40 PM
Before reading the book you must know that all characters mentioned in it are not fictitious and any resemblance to any person, dead or alive, is not regretted by the author...

czgibson
04-14-2008, 09:26 AM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by shahidiceprince
I don't know what's so controversial about his book cuz I've not read it. But I can say that the book's gonna make me angry if I read it. Hence, I've avoided reading it. This has made me moderate whenever I see Rushdie's name in the news. I guess all Muslims should do the same thing and forgive, but not forget.
Why all this blatant, conscious prejudice?

You say you would definitely be angered by the book, but you haven't even read it!

On top of that, you think that makes you a moderate?

Peace

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-15-2008, 06:03 PM
^^Well cuz we know he's got nothing good to say about it! We know our religion well and know there is NOTHING satanic about it.

On top of that, you think that makes you a moderate?
So a person can't express anger over a book defaming his/her religion? I must be radical then huh.
Plus I hate using those words, either your a Muslim or your not. Why even a level??

Peace

czgibson
04-15-2008, 06:18 PM
Greetings,
^^Well cuz we know he's got nothing good to say about it! We know our religion well and know there is NOTHING satanic about it.
Has Rushdie said your religion is satanic? Have you checked?

So a person can't express anger over a book defaming his/her religion? I must be radical then huh.
Since when is anger a virtue? Stand up for what you believe in, by all means, but getting angry won't help anything.

Plus I hate using those words, either your a Muslim or your not. Why even a level??
In the context of this discussion, 'moderate' doesn't necessarily refer to 'moderate' Islam. A person can be a moderate on all sorts of issues. My comment was meant to express a question about whether condemning something out of hand without having read it is really such a moderate position.

Peace

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-16-2008, 03:16 AM
Has Rushdie said your religion is satanic? Have you checked?
Where have you been? :confused: That IS what we are talking about, is it not?

Since when is anger a virtue?
Never said it was..?

Stand up for what you believe in, by all means, but getting angry won't help anything.
Am I hurting you if I express anger? No. Plus, anger doesn't have to always be physical or verbal. I could feel anger inside and not tell you or show you.

In the context of this discussion, 'moderate' doesn't necessarily refer to 'moderate' Islam. A person can be a moderate on all sorts of issues. My comment was meant to express a question about whether condemning something out of hand without having read it is really such a moderate position.

Peace
Roger that. Btw, that part was meant for the brother.

Peace

Roasted Cashew
04-16-2008, 07:19 AM
This book is a piece of **** according to those who have read it. They call it crap. Mostly, this was not meant for western readers. Westerners would find this book as nothing more than plain rubbish.

czgibson
04-16-2008, 11:04 AM
Greetings,
Where have you been? :confused: That IS what we are talking about, is it not?
Please forgive me for repeating the question: Has Rushdie said your religion is satanic? If so, where?

Never said it was..?
That was precisely what your words implied - that getting angry about perceived insults was the right thing to do.

Am I hurting you if I express anger? No.
Potentially, yes.

Plus, anger doesn't have to always be physical or verbal. I could feel anger inside and not tell you or show you.
Then (depending on your acting ability) it would be indistinguishable to an outsider from non-anger, which is an entirely different situation.

Roger that. Btw, that part was meant for the brother.
Sorry, I thought that was addressed to me. I'm glad we agree on something, though. :)

Peace

Muhammad
04-16-2008, 11:44 AM

I disagree that you actually need to read the book to realise what it's saying. Judging from all the anger it has already caused, comments made about the book and rebuttals against the nonsense it propagates, it is quite clear that one would be angered by such lies and distortions against Islam. And that's exactly what it contains.

There is no need to buy the book to discuss it - many have already done so:

http://www.islamicboard.com/refutati...ic-verses.html

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-16-2008, 04:55 PM
^^Couldn't have said it better myself! That would be my reply to u oh mr gibson...>.<

That was precisely what your words implied - that getting angry about perceived insults was the right thing to do.
If you feel that's what it implies, doesn't mean I said that. Oye.

Then (depending on your acting ability) it would be indistinguishable to an outsider from non-anger, which is an entirely different situation
No its called controlling ones anger, doesnt mean I wouldnt feel it.

Why would it offend you if I'm expressing anger over the book, not you? So if I express anger over people putting girls into prostitution, or over someone killing so many people, that would be hurtful to you? Hmm.

Pygoscelis
04-16-2008, 09:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad
I disagree that you actually need to read the book to realise what it's saying. Judging from all the anger it has already caused, comments made about the book and rebuttals against the nonsense it propagates, it is quite clear that one would be angered by such lies and distortions against Islam. And that's exactly what it contains.
Funny. I could say the exact same thing about the Quran. I'd be wrong. So are you.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-16-2008, 09:44 PM
Negative...

Muhammad
04-16-2008, 10:22 PM
Greetings,

format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
Funny. I could say the exact same thing about the Quran. I'd be wrong. So are you.
The two books we are talking about have completely different purposes and sources, hence they cannot even be compared.

The Qur'an is a book of clear guidance and came to teach people the truth. It is the Words of Allaah, exalted be He. If you have not read it yourself, you have denied yourself the opportunity to see what God has to say to you - and evidently that would be something of benefit and value. If one looks at the effects the book has had on mankind, it only further encourages one to study it.

On the other hand, we have the 'Satanic Verses', which, from its very name, exudes insult and distortion. It is not claimed to be an infallible work of divine nature, rather it is the work of human hands, the purpose of which is to perhaps attack a holy scripture. That in itself is enough reason to dismiss the book based upon the reaction it has caused, as well as the rebuttals made against it from those who are better qualified in the field of exegesis.

barney
04-17-2008, 03:23 AM
The book is very very dull. Rushdie isnt that great an author. He's just famous and his book is famous because he has a fatwa to kill him on sight in effect.
Without the Fatwa nobody would have read it.

BTW, anyone know if this play actually was attended by a crowd? If no muslims are waving death threat placards about it, nobody will want to see it.

Kirk, dont waste your money, just google about it, it summs up what the alleged verses are and the refutations of them.

Pygoscelis
04-17-2008, 04:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by barney
If no muslims are waving death threat placards about it, nobody will want to see it.
This is oh so very true. Same for those now infamous cartoons. If muslims hadn't gone rabid over them, nobody would have noticed the cartoons existed. You can see this in how late the reaction was. They were printed long before the stink was raised, and very few people knew or cared about them before it was.

Muezzin
04-17-2008, 11:30 AM
I won't criticise Rushdie's book because I haven't read it, and frankly, I want to read 'To Kill a Mockingbird' again.

czgibson
04-18-2008, 08:29 AM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad

Lies and distortions? Of course - it is a work of fiction. Fiction is by definition fictive, or fabricated.

There is no need to buy the book to discuss it - many have already done so:

http://www.islamicboard.com/refutati...ic-verses.html
You are entitled to your view, of course.

How many Muslims have actually read 'The Satanic Verses'? How many would have been prepared to follow out Khomeini's order without having read it?

If you feel that's what it implies, doesn't mean I said that. Oye.
Whether you like it or not, it does.

format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Then (depending on your acting ability) it would be indistinguishable to an outsider from non-anger, which is an entirely different situation
No its called controlling ones anger, doesnt mean I wouldnt feel it.
Which is why I said "to an outsider".

Why would it offend you if I'm expressing anger over the book, not you?
I'm not offended, I just think you're wrong. You're criticising a book which, as far as I know, you have not read. In my view, that is a very ignorant thing to do.

So if I express anger over people putting girls into prostitution, or over someone killing so many people, that would be hurtful to you? Hmm.
Those are dangerous and frequently illegal acts. Publishing a work of fiction is not. Or at least, it shouldn't be.

format_quote Originally Posted by barney
The book is very very dull.
I remember finding it to be powerfully written and, in some places, hilarious. I enjoyed 'Midnight's Children' more, though.

Rushdie isnt that great an author. He's just famous and his book is famous because he has a fatwa to kill him on sight in effect.
Without the Fatwa nobody would have read it.
Rushdie was a major figure on the English-speaking literary scene at least seven years before he wrote 'The Satanic Verses' and incurred Khomeini's 'death sentence'. His second novel, 'Midnight's Children', won the Booker prize in 1981, and then won the 'Booker of Bookers' in 1993 for being, in the judges' opinion, the best book ever to win the prize up to that point.

That doesn't tend to happen to people who are no good at writing.

format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
I won't criticise Rushdie's book because I haven't read it, and frankly, I want to read 'To Kill a Mockingbird' again.
The voice of reason. I wish more people thought like you, Muezzin. Especially people in Year Ten...

Peace

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-18-2008, 06:24 PM
Whether you like it or not, it does.
It has nothing to do with liking or not liking. I fail to see why it's my fault if that is how your mind comprehends it, or at least wants too.

Those are dangerous and frequently illegal acts. Publishing a work of fiction is not. Or at least, it shouldn't be.
It has nothing to do with whether it is illegal or not. Just cause a man made law says you can do this and not this, doesn't necessarily mean it is appropriate or even correct.

Ok so it's alright for people to make fun of my faith without proper knowledge, to take things out of context and me not being able to express my anger over it, isnt? It's ok for people like those, who are physically sparking anger and I can't respond to it, with even a BIT of anger? I should let those people verbally hurt me by attacking what I hold dear to me. It's hurtful that I want to hate it or express anger without actually hurting anyone in the process? Hypocrisy.

- Qatada -
04-18-2008, 06:29 PM
A note to czgibson, Khomeini isn't a part of mainstream Islam. Therefore for the masses to argue that he is a leader for the majority of the Muslims' - this isn't true at all. He was from the Shi'a, and we know that they are the minority, and not the mainstream Islam.

czgibson
04-18-2008, 09:16 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by - Qatada -
A note to czgibson, Khomeini isn't a part of mainstream Islam. Therefore for the masses to argue that he is a leader for the majority of the Muslims' - this isn't true at all. He was from the Shi'a, and we know that they are the minority, and not the mainstream Islam.
That's a good point - thanks for bringing it up. This also, from wikipedia:
[Khomeini's Rushdie] fatwa has also been attacked for violating the rules of fiqh by not allowing the accused an opportunity to defend himself, and because "even the most rigorous and extreme of the classical jurist only require a Muslim to kill anyone who insults the Prophet in his hearing and in his presence."
Source

Peace

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.