/* */

PDA

View Full Version : UK's first hybrid embryos created

☆•♥°ąყ℮Տիმ°♥•☆
04-02-2008, 10:16 AM

Scientists at Newcastle University have created part-human, part-animal hybrid embryos for the first time in the UK, the BBC can reveal.

The embryos survived for up to three days and are part of medical research into a range of illnesses.

It comes a month before MPs are to debate the future of such research.

The Catholic Church describes it as "monstrous". But medical bodies and patient groups say such research is vital for our understanding of disease.

They argue that the work could pave the way for new treatments for conditions such as Parkinson's and Alzheimer's.

Egg shortages

Under the microscope the round bundles of cells look like any other three-day-old embryos.

In fact they are hybrids - part-human, part-animal.

They were created by injecting DNA derived from human skin cells into eggs taken from cows ovaries which have had virtually all their genetic material removed.

So what possible justification can scientists offer for doing what the Catholic Church has branded "experiments of Frankenstein proportion"?

The Newcastle team say they are using cow ovaries because human eggs from donors are a precious resource and in short supply.

The hybrid embryos are purely for research and would never be allowed to develop beyond 14 days when they are still smaller than a pinhead.

Scientists want to extract stem cells, the body's master cells, from the embryos, in order to increase understanding of a whole range of diseases from diabetes to stroke and ultimately to produce treatments.

Professor John Burn from Newcastle University says the research is entirely ethical.

"This is licensed work which has been carefully evaluated. This is a process in a dish, and we are dealing with a clump of cells which would never go on to develop. It's a laboratory process and these embryos would never be implanted into anyone.

"We now have preliminary data which looks promising but this is very much work in progress and the next step is to get the embryos to survive to around six days when we can hopefully derive stem cells from them."

Free vote allowed

The research in Newcastle was approved by the UK's fertility regulator, the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority

It acted ahead of the passing of new legislation which will specifically allow the creation of hybrid embryos so as not to hold back research.

The bill setting out the new legislation is not due to be debated in the House of Commons until next month.

It is highly controversial and last week Prime Minister Gordon Brown gave in to demands for a free vote on the issue.

Critics from the Roman Catholic Church say the creation of hybrids is immoral.

"It is difficult to imagine a single piece of legislation which more comprehensively attacks the sanctity and dignity of human life than this particular bill," Cardinal Keith O'Brien, archbishop of St Andrews and Edinburgh declared last week.

Not for the first time developments in science have outpaced the debate from legislators.

For supporters of embryo research the creation of hybrid embryos is a small but significant move forward.

For opponents it is a step too far.

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
------
04-02-2008, 10:18 AM
:salamext:

Am I the only one who thinks this is dumb?!

☆•♥°ąყ℮Տիმ°♥•☆
04-02-2008, 10:22 AM
:sl:
i think its sick...+o(

i could just about understand why they would create HUMAN embryos to fight against disease etc.. but part HUMAN part ANIMAL... :enough!:
:w:

Muezzin
04-02-2008, 12:35 PM
Hang on. If all the bovine genetic material is removed from the cow egg, then surely the real issue becomes 'we shouldn't be using human embryos for medical research' rather than 'we shouldn't be making hybrid genetic monstrosities, unless they are Ninja Turtles'.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Trumble
04-03-2008, 12:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AhLÄÄM
they cannot create another human being/animal!!!!
Nobody is trying to. The article clearly explains the purpose of the experiments.

I agree there are significant ethical issues here, but I agree it just won't do to dismiss them as 'dumb' or 'sick' with no real thought. Would they be either if, for example, the research led to cures to Parkinson's and Alzheimer;s diseases? How you you think any suffering from, or having a relative who suffers from, those and other relevant diseases would answer that question?

Malaikah
04-03-2008, 01:13 AM

I think its cool. The creature is hardly part animal/part human, it has only the human genome in it (assuming the mitochonrdia is from humans as well).

At any rate they are not letting the embryo develop more than fourteen days, by which time the soul would not have been blown in so there is hardly much to worry about.

Whatsthepoint
04-03-2008, 11:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

I think its cool. The creature is hardly part animal/part human, it has only the human genome in it (assuming the mitochonrdia is from humans as well).

At any rate they are not letting the embryo develop more than fourteen days, by which time the soul would not have been blown in so there is hardly much to worry about.
Catholics and perhaps other Christians as well believe the soul is blown right after conception.

AvarAllahNoor
04-03-2008, 11:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
Catholics and perhaps other Christians as well believe the soul is blown right after conception.

That's why they are against abortion?

Azy
04-03-2008, 11:55 AM
Does injecting DNA from a human skin cell into and empty cow egg count as conception?

Whatsthepoint
04-03-2008, 12:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor

That's why they are against abortion?
I should think so. And then there's sanctity of human life, which I guess is related to the soul..

Whatsthepoint
04-03-2008, 12:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Azy
Does injecting DNA from a human skin cell into and empty cow egg count as conception?
It might.
If it does, I don't think it is the only reason the Catholic church is opposed to such experiments.

Woodrow
04-03-2008, 12:25 PM
Mudslinging contests between people will not be tolerated. Offending posts have been removed and:

:threadclo:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.