/* */

PDA

View Full Version : No More Mosques: UK Church Leader

FatimaAsSideqah
04-02-2008, 06:49 PM
As Salaam Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

CAIRO — A senior Church of England leader called for banning any more mosques building before Britain becomes "Islamic," drawing condemnation from Muslims and fellow church leaders, the Daily Mail reported on Wednesday, April 2.

"There are enough mosques for Muslims in this country," argued Alison Ruoff, a member of the General Synod, the Church’s governing body.

"You build a mosque and then what happens? You have Muslim people moving into that area, all the shops become Islamic, all the housing will become Islamic and that will be a no-go area for anyone else," she claimed.

"If we don't watch out we will become an Islamic state. It's that serious."

Ruoff, a conservative evangelical and a former magistrate, claimed more mosques would lead to Shari`ah becoming a reality in Britain.

"They will bring in Islamic law. We cannot allow that to happen. We are still a Christian country, we need to hold on to that."

The Archbishop of Canterbury Dr Rowan Williams drew fierce criticism, including from Ruoff, after suggesting aspects of Shari`ah on Muslim civil issues such as marriage, financial matters and inheritance should be introduced as an officially sanctioned legal alternative.

The same position was endorsed by the Observer in a later editorial, noting that Jewish civil divorce courts have operated effectively for decades in Britain.

There are reportedly more than 47,000 Christian churches and about 1,600 mosques in the United Kingdom.

Criticized

The Church of England was quick to take a distance from Runoff's comments, reported the Telegraph.

"These are her personal comments, speaking as an individual," said a church spokesman.

Runoff's own Diocese of London also moved quickly to isolate her.

A spokesman for the Diocese said such remarks would hurt the relations with the Muslim community, estimated at nearly 2 million, in multicultural Britain.

"Mrs Ruoff's comments are her own and do not reflect the views of the Diocese of London, which enjoys excellent inter-faith relations across the capital."

The largest Muslim umbrella group, the Muslim Council of Britain (MCB), criticized the comments.

"These are unfortunately very bigoted and, frankly, xenophobic remarks," said Inayat Bunglawala, the assistant secretary-general.

He stressed it was upsetting that such remarks came from a prominent church leader while it is more typical of a member of the far-right British National Party, a whites-only political party.

"These kinds of comments you would expect to come from someone from the BNP not the Church," Bunglawala said.

"As a Christian, she surely ought to be working to build good ties between different communities."

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...News/NWELayout

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Fishman
04-02-2008, 06:53 PM
:sl:
I wouldn't have expected this from a church leader either. I thought they were trying to help society and not be raving right-wingers.
:w:

Uthman
04-02-2008, 07:03 PM
Is this a Christian country?

Danah
04-02-2008, 07:18 PM
is this what they called freedom to practice religion?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
barney
04-02-2008, 07:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman
Is this a Christian country?
Aye. A muslim country would often have the cry of "No First Church".:D

Meh, Having said that I oppose what the good Leader has said.A country should reflect the religious biographic of its consitituants.
If England ever becomes majority islamic, then allow a majority of mosques to reflect this.

What I find perhaps socially upsetting to some extent is the concentration of areas which are muslim dominated. I cant see any reason for this other than muslims having a closer extended family than historical britons.
It's I admit strange to walk through Dewsbury these days, remembering it over 30 years ago as a place that had never heard of a halal butchers or a mosque. It is like stepping into a different country, just purely because of the cultural and religious island it is now. People stare at you if you are not wearing a Hijab or have a light skin colour.
I used to go swimming at the swimming baths there as a kid. Times change so much.

Uthman
04-02-2008, 07:27 PM
I guess minorities also tend to stick together - it's like human nature. I remember going to this Muslim event in Dewsbury once. And afterwards we all ate on the floor. For dessert, we had watermelon and people were spitting the pips out all over the floor. Just a memory I thought I would share!

Anyway, what is it that makes this a Christian country?

barney
04-02-2008, 07:36 PM
I guess minorities also tend to stick together - it's like human nature. I remember going to this Muslim event in Dewsbury once. And afterwards we all ate on the floor. For dessert, we had watermelon and people were spitting the pips out all over the floor. Just a memory I thought I would share!

Anyway, what is it that makes this a Christian country?

Yeah trufax i suppose. It's like all the brits congregating in Spanish Riviara resorts with second homes. :D

Never said it was christian. It is IMO a secular country, but with a majority of christians amongst the theists.

Cheers.

AvarAllahNoor
04-02-2008, 09:31 PM

?
Ewww. how rude!

I agree that it's minorites stick to their own. Chinese, African, Panjabis, Bengalis, Jewish etc etc.

Amadeus85
04-02-2008, 10:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by barney
Your saying multiculturalism is doomed Aaron?
I just say that no one can assure us that in year lets say 2025 muslims living in England sudennly feel that they just cant live with the non muslim(christian,secular) majority, just like they did in Serbia,just like they will do in future in Macedonia and Montenegro. Muslim's duty is to bring the whole world under the reign of Allah, I just dont understand why we make it easier for them.
And you ask is multiculturalism doomed? To answer you, in the last surver made in Holland, 57% of respondends said that uncontrolled muslim immigration was one of the biggest mistakes in the history of this country.

Whatsthepoint
04-02-2008, 10:33 PM
The policy of multiculturalism in Europe is a failure for the most part. Instead of creating a society, where everyone would respect each other's culture and be free to practice their own, it created ghettos, social tensions inter-cultural hate and violence etc.
Multiculturalism works well in areas where people come to follow their dreams, big cities for instance, or the US. It also works in palces where minorities are not too numerous compared to the majority. Once their numbers increase, they start building mosqus, halal markets and eventually demand rights deemed by some people as special, which is bound to create unrest...

And you ask is multiculturalism doomed? To answer you, in the last surver made in Holland, 57% of respondends said that uncontrolled muslim immigration was one of the biggest mistakes in the history of this country.
It's not only muslims that create trouble, it's just that there's a lot of them.
I have heard muslims saying associating with the kuffar is bad though....:X

barney
04-02-2008, 10:48 PM
There is a hard vein of muslims who follow the commandment not to accossiate and to mix or to be like the Kaffir.

I wonder what the true muslim feeling is. Who feels part of the country, who is relaxed with the kuffar, who embraces multiculturalism in a equal and open way. Evryone working together for humanity. Noone superior to the other. Noone witha better religion, evryone striving to make the world a great place to live.

How many old country yorkshirefolk look at Dewsbury and say " By Eck , me lad, thats what ah like t'see. A land free f'all to live in humanity........Now get me tea ready lass, i'm off down't pub"

KAding
04-03-2008, 03:27 PM
I strongly disagree with any kind of attempt to stop Muslims from building mosques.

The only acceptable solution to this perceived problem of 'Islamization' is to prevent further Muslim immigration to the country.

'Whatsthepoint' is correct to say that problems start occurring when minorities get too big. They stop assimilating into the larger culture which in turn results in social tensions, divisions and possibly even violence. I'm all for immigration, but from a diverse set of countries throughout the world.

crayon
04-03-2008, 04:19 PM
"You have Muslim people moving into that area, all the shops become Islamic, all the housing will become Islamic and that will be a no-go area for anyone else,"

You mean just like chinatowns?:rollseyes

Fishman
04-03-2008, 04:24 PM
:sl:
How on earth does housing become Islamic?! Does she think Muslims live in special houses that nobody else can live in?
:w:

Tania
04-03-2008, 04:30 PM
For dessert, we had watermelon and people were spitting the pips out all over the floor.
And who cleaned the floor :?

format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
How on earth does housing become Islamic?! Does she think Muslims live in special houses that nobody else can live in?
I think she read a thread like "should i stay with non-muslim or should i move somewhere else" :-[

Uthman
04-03-2008, 04:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tania
And who cleaned the floor :?
Beats me. :X I was only a child at the time.

barney
04-04-2008, 12:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
Ewww. how rude!

I agree that it's minorites stick to their own. Chinese, African, Panjabis, Bengalis, Jewish etc etc.
Just found this:

When a Muslim lives in a kaafir country, he has to make extra efforts to protect his family, such as getting together with other Muslim families and renting an apartment building together, or moving to live next to one another, so that this will offer a kind of protection and create a good environment for families and children. At the same time, the Muslim woman should find good, righteous women with whom she can fill her time when her husband is absent.Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid.

muslimah_online
04-06-2008, 05:11 PM
'bump'

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-06-2008, 05:26 PM
Eww how ugly are her remarks lol. +o(

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.