/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Tips for learning Arabic

Ummu Sufyaan
04-03-2008, 11:55 AM
:sl:
got this through the mail...

1) If you are a beginner, learn to read solid. Make sure you can read different prints of the Qur'an.

2) Start learning vocabs of the last ten surahs and Fatiha, as well as what you use in prayer.

3) Kitab al Asaasi, a 3 book set, is one of the most comprehensive sets and is taught in Arab universities. The Madina books from what I have seen and heard may gear more towards a religious-text based learning, while Kitab al Assasi may be more towards being generally able to speak Arabic and about not only religious matters.

In the end, I think the benefit to learning Arabic from a holistic view (not just fiqh terms, etc) is that you will appreciate stories more, and if you go to an Arabic speaking country you will have an easier time.

4) Speak what you know, even if it is Na'am and Laa.

5) A language not in use is VERY easy to forget - so keep practising.

6) Read read read. Read books at whatever level you are. If you have a partner, test each other, and work through the translation.

7) At least try to know what you are saying from what you know of the Qur'an.

8) For beginners, Qasas ul Nabiyyeen is good for stories.

9) I have generally found that those who spend too much time in either vocab/dialogue or the technical grammer, and neglect the other, the other one suffers and affects the ability to understand the texts. Keep a balance. If you know an Arabic speaker, sit down with them and get some phrases.

10) The best way is to go to an Arabic language institute in Egypt, Yemen, Morroco, etc. Seriously consider investing in this. It is the most systematic method and if you stick with it it will bring great benefit insha Allah.

Some more tips:

1) A lot of Arabic tapes should be listened to. If one can get the tapes of Shaikh Muqbil Ibn Hadi, Shaikh Ubaid Al Jabiri and Shaikh Fawzan they can learn Arabic very easily since they speak slowly.

2) Read, read and read. And after that read more. Because one can only get accustomed to reading without vowels by doing that. Get the dictionary (Heins Wehr or Lanes Lexicon preferably) and just read. And if you need help ask a brother or sister who is fluent in Arabic.

3) DO NOT AND I REPEAT DO NOT LEARN ARABIC USING TRANSLATION. By this method you will never learn Arabic. Learn the Arabic rules by Arabic and learn how to think in Arabic.

4) Speak, Speak and speak more. Make a lot of mistakes in speaking. If there is an Arabic speaker they can correct you in your grammar. The reason why children can learn language so easily is because they have no inhibitions to make errors in speech. And you are learning a new language and you will make mistakes. Even Arabs make mistakes in Grammar and some dislike Grammar Allahu Musta'aan.

5) Read aloud so your tongue gets accustomed to the language. Because if it doesn't you will not be able to speak.

6) Write, write and write of course do not publish. Make sure to write things in Arabic from Arabic books. And once you reach a certain level try to express yourselves.

Arabic needs a lot of practice but soon enough once you start having dreams in it you get addicted and you don't want to see any other language. In fact, and arabic speakers canvouch for me and Allah knows best, most of the dreams of an Arabic speaker come in Arabic.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
jzcasejz
04-03-2008, 08:30 PM
I printed this one out today, really good.

muslimah_online
04-04-2008, 02:53 AM
Assalamualaikum w.b.t. sister,

Thank you for the article. I learned Arabic before for 3 years but it didn't get into my

head probably because i was so lazy.. now i want to learn it again.. thank you for the

information. I will start learning the language of Quran with all my heart now..

Syukran jazilan..(some of which i still remember of arabic language)

Ummu Sufyaan
04-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Thank you for the article.
Alhamduliah that it was a benefit :sunny:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
edil
04-25-2008, 05:21 PM
Wow masha'allah what a benneficial article. Those are really good points. I remember whenever I complain to my teachers about me wanting to learn how to speak arabic they list the same things but with different perspective.

malayloveislam
05-06-2008, 08:56 AM
Salam3alaikum warahmatullah,

Thanks for the article, it really benefits me...I do not have a printer but I copied it and pasted it into my Microsoft Word. I learned Arabic formally since I am 8 years old until 15 years old but I can never speak Arabic well though I got good grade for Arabic in final term examinations in religious school before shifting to secular school at 16. I cannot understand why our government emphasize too much on English while our native language and Arabic which is the basic of learning Quran being neglected in education system.

Maybe because we do not understand its benefit in religious studies which is essential for muslim's life at the beginning or maybe the system of our country's education or maybe we do not have any chance to practice it with Arabic speakers. Now I regret myself and trying to grab it back after I perform Hajj in 2005 in Mekka, these forums are good. Arabic is indeed beautiful and not only a language for a certain race. It is the language of the Holy Book and the language of Rasulallah SAW. It is the language of muslims unity and we suppose to use it when communicating it with each other rather than English. This make me feel sad to myself.

Ummu Sufyaan
08-27-2009, 07:41 AM
*Bump...

nebula
08-31-2009, 06:37 AM
great tips! jazakallahu khair

ive been going through the madinah arabic book 1 with videos and im at lesson 4 atm... arabic is a amazing language the structure and grammer is real gd

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.