/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Spam: why not?

Fishman
04-04-2008, 09:29 PM
:sl:
What's wrong with spam and why do forums forbid it? Do they just want to ruin people's fun? I understand why advertising spam and post count-boosting spam are not allowed, but what is wrong with making random comments about Inspector Gadget occasionally?
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ali.
04-06-2008, 10:59 AM

I kind've wondered the same thing yesterday when I saw a mod delete a number of posts due to them being 'off-topic', although they were off-topic sometimes it's just boring on-topic all the time. Just my opinion.

Muslim Knight
04-06-2008, 11:05 AM
I think because it eats up bandwidth and they kinda depend on donations & their own pocket money to maintain servers.

------
04-06-2008, 11:29 AM
:salamext:

It wastes time of a Muslim. It would be better to engage in discussions rather than post spam.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muhammad
04-06-2008, 11:49 AM

Hmmm... let's pull out the old dusty, voluminous copy of The Official Forum Rulebook that has been handed down from generation to generation of moderators and see what it says...

Definitions of SPAM:
spa·m

a disruptive, esp. commercial message posted on a computer network or sent as e-mail.

What is SPAM?
SPAM is:
  • when you double post or cross-post the same message in multiple forums
  • when you mass-PM or mass-email multiple members of this site the same message
If you engage in any type of SPAM; you will be permanently banned, no questions asked.
Spam can sometimes include people making random, unconstructive/purposeless comments in threads. This can be quite annoying when it disrupts the flow of a thread and makes it unnecessarily long. Sometimes people can go slightly off-topic in a good-natured way, but others just make posts that are silly and not worth reading.

On an Islamic forum, it's even more important to be careful of this, because if the post has no purpose, then it opens the door to fitnah where brothers and sisters can idly chat in such a manner.

Ali.
04-06-2008, 11:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad

Hmmm... let's pull out the old dusty, voluminous copy of The Official Forum Rulebook that has been handed down from generation to generation of moderators and see what it says...

Definitions of SPAM:
spa·m

a disruptive, esp. commercial message posted on a computer network or sent as e-mail.

What is SPAM?
SPAM is:
If you engage in any type of SPAM; you will be permanently banned, no questions asked.
Spam can sometimes include people making random, unconstructive/purposeless comments in threads. This can be quite annoying when it disrupts the flow of a thread and makes it unnecessarily long. Sometimes people can go slightly off-topic in a good-natured way, but others just make posts that are silly and not worth reading.

On an Islamic forum, it's even more important to be careful of this, because if the post has no purpose, then it opens the door to fitnah where brothers and sisters can idly chat in such a manner.

That's the type of off-topic I'm talking about - not completely random.

Fishman
04-06-2008, 09:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad

spa·m

What is SPAM?

SPAM is:
Does this include the slightly humerous and random spam I asked about or just the bandwidth-wasting/double post/advertising kind?

chacha_jalebi
04-06-2008, 10:19 PM
mods are just eviiil!!!

erm is that spam:D

alright fishyyy

personally i think as long as it dont go haywire, like too much of it, and its just a one off random topic thats fine, but if it upsets the flow of the topic, you will see mods delete it

qassy!
04-07-2008, 09:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Knight
I think because it eats up bandwidth and they kinda depend on donations & their own pocket money to maintain servers.
lol it doesn't mean up bandwidth

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.