/* */

PDA

View Full Version : BBC using harmful terms

S1aveofA11ah
04-05-2008, 11:01 AM
Asalaamualaikum,

Just wanted to get some ideas/advice about some negative media coverage on Islam. Yes it is common knowledge the media twist information but I am looking from the angle of what to do.

With Islam being portrayed in the media as mainly (say 95%?) negative NOW is the time for ALL Muslims to counteract this threat. So, I complained to the BBC recently about a programme and this was their reply:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding 'Daily Politics' on BBC Two on 1 April.

I understand you felt the term 'Islamic Terrorist' should not have been used as you feel it could give the wrong impression to less informed viewers.

May I assure you that the language and terminology used in our programmes is an important consideration. The BBC has an obligation to be impartial, independent and accurate. For this reason, we use neutral language to describe news events, particularly in complex situations such as the Middle East where any appearance of bias would undermine our credibility.

Phrases regularly used by our presenters, particularly on contentious issues such as religion and terrorism are closely monitored for the above mentioned reasons and would not be used if we felt they were inaccurate or inappropriate. However, as we only have direct jurisdiction over the speech of our own members of staff it is not always easy to regulate what guests or contributors say.

Nevertheless, I would like to assure you that we have registered your comments on our audience log. This is the internal report of audience feedback which we compile daily for all programme makers and commissioning executives within the BBC, and also their senior management. It ensures that your points, and all other comments we receive, are circulated and considered across the BBC.

Thank you again for contacting the BBC.

Regards

BBC Complaints

I also pasted a link to this excellent article in my complaint:

http://calltoislam.com/pdf/Nomenclat...20Iftikhar.pdf

I complained that the terms Islamic Terrorist/Terrorism are oxymoronic (they are nonsensical like saying 'hot ice cream'). If you read their reply above it seems they have just fobbed off everything I complained about. They say:

"The BBC has an obligation to be impartial, independent and accurate. For this reason, we use neutral language to describe news events...". However, Islamic Terrorist is NOT neutral language at all - its negative and it was THEIR presenter who blantly used the term not a guest/contributer.

What would be the best course of action?. I thought of these possibilities:

(1) request to take it to a 'higher person'

(2) reply to the above with another complaint

That is all I could come up with. Any ideas, May Allah bless you (ameen).

Wa Salaam,

S1aveofA11ah.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Azy
04-05-2008, 04:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by S1aveofA11ah
I complained that the terms Islamic Terrorist/Terrorism are oxymoronic (they are nonsensical like saying 'hot ice cream'). If you read their reply above it seems they have just fobbed off everything I complained about.
I understand your distinction, but most people outside of the muslim community don't appreciate the difference between muslim and islamic.
What would you rather they said? "Muslim terrorist"?

S1aveofA11ah
04-05-2008, 05:56 PM
OK Azy - you understand my distinction (hooray!!) but the BBC doesn't seem to (boohoo...). That is why I am asking for advice on what steps to take next.

What I would strongly recommed you to do Azy is read the above article if you haven't done so already (see link in first post). At least YOU (as one person I assume is "outside of the muslim community") will get some useful understanding and will be armed with the knowledge to see where the media lies.

Islamic Terrorist = WRONG (and damaging to community relations) and Muslim Terrorist = CORRECT.

I think what you meant Azy was the difference between Muslim and Islam not "the difference between muslim and islamic". In short:

ISLAM = The religion. In its general sense the term Islam means 'peace' - specifically it means to submit one's will to the will of Allah (God) to attain peace.

MUSLIM = The follower of the religion.

So yes to Muslim Terrorist because that term indicates that the acts of terror are being done by PEOPLE and people are not perfect i.e. we all error at times. The religion does not call to or allow any room for any forms of terror whatsoever. In fact, how can the religion itself even 'pick up a sword or gun etc.' and commit acts terror? - no religion can do this. So Islamic Terrorism is mutually exclusive. Its impossible just like saying 'Peaceful Terrorism'.

Anyway like I strongly suggest Azy - have a read of that not so long .pdf and you'll probably come back teaching me! (I hope). I think you will benefit as you have got your head around the distinction which is good. I would like to know your views about someone like the BBC using such terms.

barney
04-05-2008, 06:05 PM
It's simply the terrorists definition of islam is different from yours.
You have grown up with mosques and Imams that teach tolerance, peace, charity and restraint.
The Terrorists have been taught the same scriptures as you , but have had their teachings centered on hate, arrogance, kuffarphobia, jihad and martyrdom.

If your Imam, met their Imam, who would say they were the better muslim? Both of course.

If the Terrorists were blowing themselves to peices screaming "Ice Cream is Great", and ranting about Jelly. They would be known as "Dessert Terrorists"

But they dont.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
S1aveofA11ah
04-05-2008, 07:16 PM
Good points Barney and thats all true. The terrorists in reality have been taught OTHER than Islam. So would you agree that the BBC helps to promote terrorism by the following logic:

The BBC claims they use neutral language in all their production. They have (being fair most media) for YEARS used oxymoronic terms blatently like 'Islamic Terrorism'. That is clear to all sane people - its not a slip of the tongue one week or accident, we are talking about YEARS (decades?!) of this going on.

Now all this does is waste resources, time and energy. It does so by confusing the masses which they know about as they claim to adhere to 'neutral language' to not cause such issues. We all as a human race should want to: iradicate terrorsim, oppression, rape, murder, injustice and in fact all oppression and evils as much and as practically possible (unless we are insane). What I'm saying is by them blatently doing this they have not helped combat these wrongs they have just diverted good energy and helped those wrongs grow in the background so to speak. What do you think?.

barney
04-05-2008, 11:02 PM
Good points Barney and thats all true. The terrorists in reality have been taught OTHER than Islam. So would you agree that the BBC helps to promote terrorism by the following logic:

The BBC claims they use neutral language in all their production. They have (being fair most media) for YEARS used oxymoronic terms blatently like 'Islamic Terrorism'. That is clear to all sane people - its not a slip of the tongue one week or accident, we are talking about YEARS (decades?!) of this going on.

Now all this does is waste resources, time and energy. It does so by confusing the masses which they know about as they claim to adhere to 'neutral language' to not cause such issues. We all as a human race should want to: iradicate terrorsim, oppression, rape, murder, injustice and in fact all oppression and evils as much and as practically possible (unless we are insane). What I'm saying is by them blatently doing this they have not helped combat these wrongs they have just diverted good energy and helped those wrongs grow in the background so to speak. What do you think?.
Thanks, but i think you missed my point.
I know you think that your teaching of Islam is correct and you beleive it 110%. You think that theyre bad muslims, actually that theyre not even muslims because they distort the message to sow illegal death.

I know they think that their teaching of Islam is correct and they beleive it 110%. They think that your a bad muslim, actually that your not even muslims because you wont fight Jihad as the scriptures say.

Who are the true Muslims?
The ones who shout the loudest.
Who's shouting loudest?
As the old Smiths album would tell you, not much is Louder than Bombs.

If your deen is correct, you have to shout louder than their bombs.

S1aveofA11ah
04-06-2008, 10:06 AM
I understood your points. The beauty of Islam is that it is a religion of ease. It fits in with the nature of mankind. It doesn't burden people with for example millions of repetitive rituals. In fact, logically one would assume that the best religion should be the easiest to follow. That is Islam; a religion of ease where Allah wishes ease upon the followers. My point is - yes the true believers have to speak up (which they have been doing unlike some doubtmongers would lead us to believe) and this is not an impossible task (just needs time/patience/struggling) as Allah will allow the truth to be uppermost else the religion would be faulty.

I think the posts are going off the main topic about the BBC, their behaviour and more specifically reacting to it. Also Barney you never answered my question in my last post...

barney
04-06-2008, 11:39 PM
Also Barney you never answered my question in my last post...
Does the BBC promote terrorism by using terminology like "Islamic Terrorism"

Yes, I think it does. As I say, if it was Terrorism in the name of Snickers Bars, it would be called Snicker Terrorism.

Theres other types of Terrorism out there.
Political terrorism, Sectarian Terrorism, State Terrorism, "ethical" terrorism.

When the ETA set off a bomb, its called Basqsue Sepratist Terrorism.
Calling a spade a spade dosnt affect them. It does affect Muslims.

Muslims cannot bear that anyone, beleiver or not, could say anything about Islam being connected with Violence. Theres a certain amount of people who will feel so angry and insulted that Islam is considered violent that they will kill anyone who says that its anything other than a perfect peaceful religion, and they feel strongly, based on their reading of scripture and the teachings of their imams, that Allah will reward their act. they ask allah to accept it as a beautiful gift.

In short, yes. Saying the words "Islamic Terrorism" will increase the amount of terrorism. Does the BBC know this? Probably not.

Will the words "Islamic Terrorism" cause the ummah to gather in a giant shout, and gather in their tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands and rage against the terrorists?
Time will tell.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.