/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Qur'an's Scientific Accuracy

Huma*
04-07-2008, 03:21 PM
:salamext:

THE QUR'AN'S CONFIRMATION OF AN AMAZING UNDERSEA DISCOVERY LEADS FRENCH OCEANOGRAPHER TO ISLAM

The famous French oceanographer Mr Jacques yves Cousteau, who has spent his lifetime on undersea discoveries and is considered an authority on undersea exploration has embraced Islam after his amazing undersea discovery was confirmed by the Holy Qur'an the last and final revealed guidance of Allah (God almighty) for the whole of mankind.

One day somewhere in deep ocean, Mr jacques Yves Costeau was doing some undersea exploration when he discovered that within the salty sea water there were several springs of sweet palatable water.

what amazed him most was the fact that the sweet water of the springs was not mingling with the salty water of the sea. For a long time he tried to find plausible excuses for this phenomena, but not to avail.

One day when he mentioned it to a muslim professor who told him this phenomena simply followed Allah's command as clearly explained in the Holy Qur'an. He then read to Mr. Cousteau the following verses from the Holy quran.

"It is he (Allah) who has let free the two bodies of flowing water: One palatable and sweet, and the other salty and bitter; yet has he made a barrier between them, a partition that is forbidden to be passed."(Al-Quran, Surah25 Al-Furqan verse 53)

"And (Allah) made a separating bar between the two bodies of flowing water."(Al-Qur'an, Surah 27 An-Naml: verse 61)

" He (Allah) let free the two bodies of flowing water, meeting together: between them is a barrier which they do not transgress."
(Al-Qur'an, Surah 55 Al-Rahman: verse 19-20)

Hearing this, Mr Cousteau said that surely the Qur'an is a divine Book and embraced Islam. ( This was reported in Al-Furqan News Letter, (Ta-Ha Publishers, London).

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Abdul-Raouf
04-07-2008, 03:41 PM
:)

ALHAMDULILLAH

ALLAHU AKBAR

Whatsthepoint
04-07-2008, 03:42 PM
Cousteau did not convert.

"It is he (Allah) who has let free the two bodies of flowing water: One palatable and sweet, and the other salty and bitter; yet has he made a barrier between them, a partition that is forbiidden to be passed."

Anyway, the verse is inaccurate. Fresh water that enters the sea will eventually turn into salty water.

aamirsaab
04-07-2008, 04:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
Cousteau did not convert.

"It is he (Allah) who has let free the two bodies of flowing water: One palatable and sweet, and the other salty and bitter; yet has he made a barrier between them, a partition that is forbiidden to be passed."
Ahem
One day somewhere in deep ocean, Mr jacques Yves Costeau was doing some undersea exploration when he discovered that within the salty sea water there were several springs of sweet palatable water.
what amazed him most was the fact that the sweet water of the springs was not mingling with the salty water of the sea. For a long time he tried to find plausible excuses for this phenomena, but not to avail.
:statisfie

Anyway, the verse is inaccurate. Fresh water that enters the sea will eventually turn into salty water.
The ayat isn't even talking about fresh water entering the sea, though....So, erm, I don't see what your point is.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Whatsthepoint
04-07-2008, 08:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
Ahem
What's this ahem for? do you think Cousteau did convert?:)
The ayat isn't even talking about fresh water entering the sea, though....So, erm, I don't see what your point is.
I don't know what the hadith is about, the article says the water coming from submarine springs doesn't mix with the sea water. It also says Coustaou found the description of this peculiar phenomenon in the Quran, so I thought the ayat is talking about fresh water entering the sea...

What is it about then?

Islamic sites aren't consistent on this one. Most claim the hadith speaks about seas, this thread is about springs of fresh water...

aamirsaab
04-07-2008, 09:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
What's this ahem for? do you think Cousteau did convert?:)
Lol no that's not what it was for. I was merely drawing your attention to how the ayat related to Cousteau's ''problem''.

What is it about then?

Islamic sites aren't consistent on this one. Most claim the hadith speaks about seas, this thread is about springs of fresh water...
Time to whip out my Yusuf Ali translation;

Sura 25 verse 53, Scholar's notes:
''In the world taken as a whole, there are two bodies of water (the great salt ocean and the bodies of sweet water fed by rain). They are free to mingle, and in a sense do mingle for there is a regular water cycle; and the rivers flow constantly to the sea, and tidal revers get sea water for several miles up their estuaries at high tide. Yet in spite of all of this, the laws of gravitation are like a barrier or partition set by God, by which the two bodies of water as a whole are always kep apart and distinct.

In the case of rivers carrying large quantities of water to the sea, like the mississippi or the Yangtse-Kiang, the river water with its stilt remains disntict from sea water for a long distance out at sea. But the wonderful sign is that the two bodies of water, though they pass through each other, remain distinct bodies, with their distinct functions.''

For ''a partition that is forbidden to be pased'', Yusuf ali's commentary on the matter is: ''Again a new symbolic contrast: the two bodies of water, sweet and salt, free to mingle yet distinct as by an impassable barrier.'' He goes in to more depth about the symbolism but that's not the issue we're discussing.

I also have another translation that deals with this particular ayat in a more sucinct way - I'll put it in tomorrow tho, cus it's late.

Trumble
04-07-2008, 09:52 PM
Quran'ic sciento-tosh aside, for a moment, the reference to Cousteau is a total fabrication.

Whatsthepoint
04-07-2008, 10:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
Sura 25 verse 53, Scholar's notes:
''In the world taken as a whole, there are two bodies of water (the great salt ocean and the bodies of sweet water fed by rain). They are free to mingle, and in a sense do mingle for there is a regular water cycle; and the rivers flow constantly to the sea, and tidal revers get sea water for several miles up their estuaries at high tide. Yet in spite of all of this, the laws of gravitation are like a barrier or partition set by God, by which the two bodies of water as a whole are always kep apart and distinct.
Wait a minute...the way I see it this guy is saying the verse says here will always be freshwater and there will always be salty water...Am I right?
If I am, I must admit the verse is a lvoely way of saying it, but I don't think there's anything miraculous or scientific about it. Do you think the verse refers to the water cycle or something like that?

In the case of rivers carrying large quantities of water to the sea, like the mississippi or the Yangtse-Kiang, the river water with its stilt remains disntict from sea water for a long distance out at sea. But the wonderful sign is that the two bodies of water, though they pass through each other, remain distinct bodies, with their distinct functions.''
They do not remain disctinct bodies forever. As I said before, any fresh water that enters the sea will eventually mix with the surrounding water become salty itself. In case of large rivers, this process takes time, du to the great amounts of water and force, I should guess.
If you pour a glass of fresh water into the sea it will only take a second or two.

For ''a partition that is forbidden to be pased'', Yusuf ali's commentary on the matter is: ''Again a new symbolic contrast: the two bodies of water, sweet and salt, free to mingle yet distinct as by an impassable barrier.'' He goes in to more depth about the symbolism but that's not the issue we're discussing.
I think the only proper way to understand the barrier is through symbolic interpretation, in a way that it represents some sort of balance between fresh and salty water, the way I explained it in the first paragraph.
There is no actual barrier between the two kinds of water, as explained in the second paragraph.
The article is a hoax, no doubt about it. It sattes wrong facts about a certain Frenchman. the question si whether it is truthful about the springs of water...I don't think it is, but I'll be glad to check other sources if you provide them.

Huma*
04-08-2008, 09:07 AM
:sl:

"It is he (Allah) who has let free the two bodies of flowing water: One palatable and sweet, and the other salty and bitter; yet has he made a barrier between them, a partition that is forbidden to be passed."(Al-Quran, Surah25 Al-Furqan verse 53)

"And (Allah) made a separating bar between the two bodies of flowing water."(Al-Qur'an, Surah 27 An-Naml: verse 61)

" He (Allah) let free the two bodies of flowing water, meeting together: between them is a barrier which they do not transgress."(Al-Qur'an, Surah 55 Al-Rahman: verse 19-20)

No doubt in these verses of Quran, you just need a good explanation to understand it.
I hope seniors will provide better explanation for this. As bro "amirsaab" is already working on it... JazakAllah Bro :)

Azy
04-08-2008, 02:54 PM
First I'd like to reiterate that someone has outright lied in order to promote Islam and you are repeating that lie.
The letter from the Cousteau Foundation.

If Allah wanted us to know about the scientific accuracy of the Qur'an, why not make it obvious? What were people to make of this verse for the 1300 years before the discovery?
If the text was meant to be scientific it would not need your vague interpretation to reveal it.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.