/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Attached to this world?

------
04-09-2008, 10:49 AM
:salamext:

Just a quick poll question: Are you attached to this world? By 'attached', I mean you long for a huge house, a really good car, lots of gold jewellery (for the sisters obviously lol), lots of money, etc. You get what I mean.

Please vote, as it is completely anonymous...

Jazaak Allaah Khayr :)

P.S. And make any comments below

EDIT: People are getting confused. By ATTACHED - I mean that you are more attached to this world than Allaah and the Aakhirah

On the authority of Ibn 'Umar, radiyallahu 'anhuma, who said: The Messenger of Allah, sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam, took me by the shoulder and said:
"Be in this world as though you were a stranger or a traveller/wayfarer."
Ibn 'Umar used to say:
"When evening comes, do not expect (to live till) morning, and when morning comes, do not expect (to live till) evening. Take from your health (a preparation) for your illness, and from your life for your death."

[Al-Bukhari]
Detailed explanation of the hadith can be found here.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
barney
04-09-2008, 10:53 AM
Aye, In my beleif ive got one crack at life, so I'm trying to fill it with as much fun and goodness as possible.

Gator
04-09-2008, 11:00 AM
Voted no given your definition.

------
04-09-2008, 11:01 AM

^ Thanks. What would you descibe 'attached' as?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Gator
04-09-2008, 11:19 AM
To get me to vote "yes" the definition would have to be along the lines of "do you long to provide a comfortable, secure, happy life for you and your family". This is something I long for and is doesn't mean big house, jewelry, expensive car, etc.

Also, something along the lines of wanting to experience this life and not caring about an afterlife as this is the one shot at existence.

Thanks.

Nájlá
04-09-2008, 05:20 PM
yeh i agree with gator
life dosnt mean big house, jewelry, expensive car

snakelegs
04-09-2008, 08:30 PM
voted no - i could care less about stuff like that.
i am attached but not to stuff.

barney
04-09-2008, 09:15 PM
Yeah, clarify that id like to enjoy life but being rich isnt important. Bloody good job really, cos im always brassic.

snakelegs
04-09-2008, 09:17 PM
she did clarify it:
Are you attached to this world? By 'attached', I mean you long for a huge house, a really good car, lots of gold jewellery (for the sisters obviously lol), lots of money, etc. You get what I mean.

Gator
04-09-2008, 09:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
she did clarify it:
I think he meant to clarify his earlier answer rather than the OP.

snakelegs
04-09-2008, 09:45 PM
oh, sorry. :-[

barney
04-09-2008, 09:51 PM
Yah, i'll just clarify that i meant that i'd clarify my earlier post.
:D

qassy!
04-10-2008, 02:36 AM
Are you attached to this world? By 'attached', I mean you long for a huge house, a really good car, lots of gold jewellery (for the sisters obviously lol), lots of money, etc. You get what I mean.
Having a big car, big house, doesnt mean your attached to this world ? and I don't see whats wrong with having a nice good car, a huge house :)...
Everyone has different needs in this world.. for example someone might need a big car because of there family or someone might want a fast car because they enjoy having a powerful car.

Same as someone might like a huge house people might like a small house.

People enjoy having big cars etc etc

snakelegs
04-10-2008, 02:43 AM
qassy,
i don't think there's anything wrong with having a big car, huge house etc.
it is more about your priorities. can you have and enjoy these things without being attached to them and regarding them as the most important thing in life. some people put "stuff" at the top of their priorities and everything else becomes secondary.
it's not the stuff - it's the attitude toward it that can be a problem.

qassy!
04-10-2008, 02:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
qassy,
i don't think there's anything wrong with having a big car, huge house etc.
it is more about your priorities. can you have and enjoy these things without being attached to them and regarding them as the most important thing in life. some people put "stuff" at the top of their priorities and everything else becomes secondary.
it's not the stuff - it's the attitude toward it that can be a problem.
well lets put it like this.....whats most likely to be better a big house or a small house ? big house yes ?

So if you where going out for a meal and there's an option of a two different Pizza Shops, 1 Pizza Shop sells nice Pizza really big, nice and pleasant restaurant, the other Pizza shop sells nice Pizza at the same price but the shop is small and tight and not pleasant because its small.

Where you most likely to go ? to the 1st pizza shop yeah?

Same as I rather have a "huge" house because its better, a bigger car, because it looks better etc etc,

But at the moment I am living in a 5 bedroom house, (dont know if you would call that "huge" and its fine....im not getting stressed because i dont have a "huge" house

but its the same thing here

I have to have a good mobile, that because i like the functions features, looks etc etc

Having all these things, if you pay for them, i dont see how anyone can say your attached to this world.

snakelegs
04-10-2008, 02:56 AM
having the stuff and enjoying it is not the problem, in my view. being attached to them and ranking them as the most important things in life can be a problem for some.
example - people who don't hesitate to lie and cheat to get more $ for more stuff. you know - there are people who really don't seem to care about anything but the pursuit of more, more, more.

MustafaMc
04-10-2008, 02:57 AM
I voted in between. As for the material things listed (big house, fancy car, jewelry), I would have to say that I am mostly not attached to this world. However, I really enjoy my work and the opportunity to develop thoughts that come to me into tangible unique results. Masha'Allah, we have a modest home and small piece of land that I really enjoy improving by planting fruit trees and a vegetable garden. ...but as far as being attached to the world, last time I checked, you can't take it with you to the grave.

barney
04-10-2008, 11:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by qassy!
But at the moment I am living in a 5 bedroom house, (dont know if you would call that "huge" and its fine....im not getting stressed because i dont have a "huge" house

Wanna Swap for my 3 bed semi?

:rollseyes

crayon
04-11-2008, 08:52 AM
I am attached to the joy of living.

90mes
04-12-2008, 02:20 AM
I clicked Yes but I'm not crazy about being rich I just want a comfortable life (house, car, and just things I would need to keep my kids happy but not spoiled) while living my life islamically. Does that mean I'm attached?

Souljette
04-12-2008, 11:32 AM
Well i think tht being attached means when u go fr the extremes...i mean i dn't like too mch of sumthng..like ye hvin a house, kids, car tht's all fine as long as it doesn't go to the extreme ..we al need dese things bt we shuld get them at good prices not jst sum expensive piece of u knw wht lol..i guess in a way i am attached bt nt really..in btwn i guess

------
04-14-2008, 04:52 PM

^ Yeh summed up

GuCcI
04-15-2008, 01:53 AM
only to a certain extent.

when family grows, you need a bigger home :)

------
04-15-2008, 08:12 AM

People, u know what I mean! Obviously if u have a bigger family u need a bigger home!! But I mean that do u long for money and gold and stuff, u know where I'm coming from.... Like ur heart is attached to this duniya and not to Allaah and the Aakhirah...etc....get me?

Trumble
04-15-2008, 08:31 AM
I think we are all 'in between', to widely varying extents. Only Buddhas (widen that to include assorted other religious figures if you like) are free from attachment. It is that which defines a Buddha.

Ibrahym
04-15-2008, 08:31 AM
The first of these narrations is that of Thawbaan (ra) the freed slave of the prophet (saw). He related that the messenger of Allah said: The nations are about to call each other and set upon you, just as diners set upon food." It was said: "Will it be because of our small number that day?" He said: "Rather, on that day you will be many, but you will be like foam, like the foam on the river. And Allah will remove the fear of you from the hearts of your enemies and will throw wahn (weakness) into your hearts." Someone said: "O Messenger of Allah! What is Wahn?" He said: "Love of the world and the hatred for death."[5]

------
04-15-2008, 08:33 AM

^ Jazaak Allaah Khayr bro ^ Nice hadith :)

barney
04-17-2008, 10:03 PM
Isnt it possible that a Big house and taking baths in caviar are a reward from Allah for good deeds?
If so, to reject his benifecence would probably be a bad thing?

truemuslim
04-17-2008, 10:10 PM
hmm.... i voted in between... but i doubt it... like the bigger things u have doesnt mean the more u care bout life right?
maybe if ur like paris hilton or something then yeh, but what if ur a sheikh and u have tons of cash and a big family with alot of NEEDS? u cant really live wit no car and ina shelter or somethin now can u? ur still with Allah.
You can't take anything with you to the grave except your deeds and sins, but that doesn't mean you can't have what you need in life even if you are religious.
If by "attached" you mean ...
"OMG like i totaly need a huuuuge house witha huuuge hot tub and a huuuge inground pool. but omg i like need that money for a third lamborghini im going to buy because i like soooooo need three colors, blue for when i go to that mall, pink when i go to a resaraunt and like red so i can like tottally chiilllll at tha club, like omg i like tottttaaly neeed a better hairdo, like i need plastic surgery now coz omg look at my nose its not like totally like miley cyrus's, and my forehead, like omg, i need a better job so i can like totally buy another color car for like a movie theater and like a better hair die and like omg i need another mansion , oh i hate life i can never like totally get what i want. Like yah." (oh that so didnt feel right...too much preppyness...*shivers*)
then yeh thats so stupid, but if ur religious, care bout allah , islam, etc etc, and need the stuff u have and still need bigger stuff or something then yeh.

Did any of you understand anything i just said?

EDIT: also u kno how they say when u do good stuff allah will reward you on this life too??

yehhh

Snowflake
04-19-2008, 06:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by barney
Isnt it possible that a Big house and taking baths in caviar are a reward from Allah for good deeds?
If so, to reject his benifecence would probably be a bad thing?
Yes, it could be a reward but when Allah rewards us with wealth, He also tests us to see if we spend in His way from our wealth. The worst person is he who hoardes his wealth, is ungrateful and does not spend it in the way of Allah.

I personally, do not like expensive things. As long as something is of good quality and does the job, I'm happy. A house for me, doesn't have to be big, as long as it's comfortable and practical. A car that will get me from a-b is good enough. I hate gold. I'm never impressed with people with big cars, houses, designer gear. I love simplicity. The only wealth I want to hoard is of good deeds for the hereafter.

------
04-19-2008, 06:24 PM

^ TAKBIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Snowflake
04-19-2008, 06:33 PM
^ lol you're gonna make me cry

------
04-19-2008, 06:35 PM

^ Eh?! (And you're supposed to say Allaahu Akbar) :mmokay:

Snowflake
04-19-2008, 06:57 PM
^ I did that's why it made me emotional lol ( i said it in my heart)

FatimaAsSideqah
04-19-2008, 08:19 PM
As Salaam Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

Awww. Allahu Akbar!!

Souljette
04-25-2008, 11:58 AM
ALLAHU AKBAR !!! TAKBIRRR lol

------
05-16-2008, 12:13 PM

Any more votes/comments inshaaAllaah?

------
05-24-2008, 07:49 PM

No?

Ayoub
05-24-2008, 07:51 PM
I want a good car and a good house, etc. Expensive or not doesn't matter to me.

aadil77
05-27-2008, 08:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ayoub
I want a good car and a good house, etc. Expensive or not doesn't matter to me.
Yh same with me, sort of.
If I had money I'd make my own house, a solid house like the ones in pakistan - but not giant, then I'd get an average car, even though I'd like to get a Bugatti or a F1 car!:D

With the rest I'd like give as much as possible away to our ummah

Periwinkle18
04-29-2012, 05:56 PM
hmmm at first i wanted a samsung galay S2 and a samsung tab buh now i dun want anything all i want now is to please Allah and i want Him to forgive me... i just don't feel like living anymore all i want is to please Allah lyfe is really hard srsly very hard...

tigerkhan
04-30-2012, 12:21 PM
:sl:
hmm good thread. honestly sometime i wish i live on some mountain and had a farm of sheeps, horses, goat... and a small hut...and i love ALLAH SWT and keep myself busy in HIS worship and i will be a mujahid and when called i get up on my horse to the field.

Periwinkle18
04-30-2012, 02:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tigerkhan
hmm good thread. honestly sometime i wish i live on some mountain and had a farm of sheeps, horses, goat... and a small hut...and i love ALLAH SWT and keep myself busy in HIS worship and i will be a mujahid and when called i get up on my horse to the field.
Aww amazing may Allah make u a mujahid Ameen

Haya emaan
04-30-2012, 05:21 PM
do living in a big house, having a wonderful car, wearing better cloths means u are more attached to dunya?

i dont think so..
its your priorities that defines your attachment to dunya or Akhirah...

but yes, with all these worldly things it becomes very difficult to set akhirah, a priority!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.