/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A bond we all share - HUMANITY

Snowflake
04-13-2008, 01:47 PM
I'm back again (after my disastrous attempt to ask this before and not make it clear enough). :hmm:

I want to hear about any nice experiences you've had in dealing with people from a different race/religion, when they've been nice to you, helped you and treated you well despite differences in faith. :)

I hope that's better now. I'm so looking forward to hearing positive comments from everyone. 1-2-3 Go!!! :D

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Snowflake
04-13-2008, 03:55 PM
bumps hard*

Add anything.... experiences, views and so on..

I like westerners for their care of animals i.e. RSPCA and the charity work they do to help the third world countries. I support SightSavers in their work to combat blindness.

Other than that, I think the majority have good manners and are genuine when they offer to help you. The other day while I was on LI, the meat I'd left on the stove caught fire. I only knew of it when firemen started battering my back door in. By the time I'd dressed properly and gone down they had got in and thrown out the meat pot and then asked if I was OK. I felt so embarrassed and apologised a hundred times for my silly mistake. They were so nice and kept saying I shouldn't feel bad as the main thing was that I was alright. Bless!

Then when I rang my housing officer, he didn't ask me to ring the maintenance department (which I was supposed to do) but said he'd do it as I didn't sound up to it (I was tearful, lol). He even offered to send the support team if I needed any kind of help. I was so touched by the concern of all involved. :statisfie

more nice experiences later :)

there there
04-14-2008, 01:13 AM
I've been having constant nice experiences throughout my life so far as practically my whole family is of Islamic faith. Traits such as hospitality seem to be especially synonymous with Islam as well as a deep feel of family community.

barney
04-14-2008, 01:34 AM
One of the kindest and gentlest person I know is a Muslim.
He's sincere and thoughtful. Top chap.
We dont talk religion much even though he knows im an Aggy.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Snowflake
04-14-2008, 09:17 AM
^^aaaah I feel so touched when I hear things like that there there & barney :)

There is so much hate in the world but we have to remember that we share a relationship of humanity and no matter what our differences we should always do our best to maintain that bond.

Peace.

Snowflake
04-14-2008, 09:26 AM
what about muslim brothers & sisters - got anything to share?

I remember another time. It was at the age of 9/10 and my lil bro was ill in hospital. I can't remember how but I went to see him on my own. I didn't know where his bed was and wandered into a canteen by mistake. There was a lovely black lady there who offered me sandwiches and milk. I told her I was only visiting, but she said it didn't matter and gave me some food. She was so kind and lovely to me, I will cherish that memory forever.

Keltoi
04-14-2008, 11:10 AM
I think on a personal basis most people can get along just fine, regardless of religion, race, or nationality. Children have to be taught to hate, and in many instances so do adults.

Snowflake
04-14-2008, 11:30 AM
^ I agree

Anyhow...

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't put out by the lack of muslims replying to this thread. I wonder why?

glo
04-15-2008, 07:12 PM
Your thread is making me think, Muslimah Sis.
I seem to encounter acts of human kindness all the time - and usually I don't even stop to think which race/religion/group the person being kind comes from.

But for the sake of this thread, I have made an effort to remember! :D

As part of my job I carry out home visits to people who care for a disabled member of the family. I assess their need and request equipment to support them, or make recommendations for adaptations/grants/rehousing etc.

During my work I have encountered three families, who have made a lasting impression on me.
One thing they have in common, is an acceptance of the disability of their son/daughters, and of their role in caring for them. I have not sensed that they feel burdened or bitter about having a disabled child.

The first family is a Muslim Somali family. I remember once visiting together with a physiotherapist colleague, and the wife was cooking in the kitchen when we came. The husband invited us to taste some of the food.
Now, I knew that it was Ramadan and that it was still hours from sunset; and that the food was meant for the breaking of the fast later on; and that we would be eating with the rest of the family watching ...
That made me feel slightly uncomfortable, so I tried to politely decline the offer. But they wouldn't take No for an answer - so we got to try the delicious food anyway! :D

The second family are a very elderly Sikh couple, who always cook plenty of food, just in case of unexpected visitors who will be invited to join in their simple vegetarian meal.

The third family are British Jehovah's Witnesses. They too are very elderly. Not only have they raised their own children, but they also adopted three girls with profound learning disabilities (all adults now) and have cared for them for many years.
Whenever I visit, I get a deep sense of being accepted just as I am - it is quite extraordinary!
An agnostic colleague of mine, who has supported the family for many years, told me how very honoured she felt to have been able to work with this family for so long.

As I am writing this, I realise that human kindness really isn't very difficult at all!
It boils down to respecting the other as a fellow human being, and to treat him/her accordingly.
A moment of your time, a friendly word or gesture, a listening ear, a smile - it costs nothing and yet means so much!

What is concerning, however, is when we start to think that some people, belonging to a specific group, deserve our kindness more than others ...

Peace

FatimaAsSideqah
04-15-2008, 07:23 PM
As Salaam Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

3 years ago, Me and my family went to the trip to Australia. In the Heathrow airport, I went to the toliet and the passport was with me that time. So, I was left from the toliet. I have realised that I have left my passport in there, I am panic and rushed back to the toliet, but fortunately, I was bumped to nice lady and she asked me if I have left the passport. I said yes :-[ and she said "Oh, is this passport yours?" I was blushed and said yes. I have realised that she is so nice and honest. Then we have talked for hours later before me and my family are flew off. I do missed that nice lady and she saved my humiliation time!

- Qatada -
04-15-2008, 07:29 PM
:salamext:

there's loads of non muslims around our area and they proper safe people.. they be kind to you and all that, even though there's so much being taught against Islam by the media..

it makes me happy that they're still kind and stuff after all that they see on the news.. we ask Allah to allow goodness to continue, and to guide us all to what He loves.

Ebtisweetsam
04-16-2008, 12:51 AM
Hmm, I cant think of any good stuff cos Ive had a rough and tiring week.... so maybe next time I will have a nicer answer... hehe sorry sis :-[

kirk
04-16-2008, 03:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
...from a different race/religion, when they've been nice to you, helped you and treated you well despite differences in faith.
Most people are nice. And 99% of the time I don't know what their beliefs are - and thats how it should be.

If people could be nice to each other without ever knowing each other's beliefs the wolrd would be a better place!

k

glo
04-16-2008, 06:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by kirk
Most people are nice. And 99% of the time I don't know what their beliefs are - and thats how it should be.

If people could be nice to each other without ever knowing each other's beliefs the wolrd would be a better place!

k
Well said, Kirk.
I very much agree.

Muezzin
04-16-2008, 09:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
I think on a personal basis most people can get along just fine, regardless of religion, race, or nationality. Children have to be taught to hate, and in many instances so do adults.
Very true. Humans are social animals. Even the shy ones.

Snowflake
04-16-2008, 09:54 AM
Awww thanks everyone for your input. I feel chuffed to bits. I loved reading Glo's post. It just goes to show how unprejudiced kindness and concern for others make this world a better place. Righteous sis, that was a very nice lady you met mashaAllah. Ebtisweetsam, I hope you the coming weeks will be happy and restful for you inshaAllah.

it makes me happy that they're still kind and stuff after all that they see on the news.. we ask Allah to allow goodness to continue, and to guide us all to what He loves.
Ameen. MashaAllah that's so true. I remember after the London bombings, I felt nervous going out, yet when I did, I was amazed to find that most people were still treating muslims nicely. It was a great feeling. God bless all.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.