/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Brigitte Bardot on Trial For Muslim Slur

Amadeus85
04-15-2008, 09:11 PM
Brigitte Bardot on Trial For Muslim Slur

PARIS (Reuters) - French former film star Brigitte Bardot went on trial on Tuesday for insulting Muslims, the fifth time she has faced the charge of "inciting racial hatred" over her controversial remarks about Islam and its followers.

Prosecutors asked that the Paris court hand the 73-year-old former sex symbol a two-month suspended prison sentence and fine her 15,000 euros ($23,760) for saying the Muslim community was "destroying our country and imposing its acts."

Since retiring from the film industry in the 1970s, Bardot has become a prominent animal rights activist but she has also courted controversy by denouncing Muslim traditions and immigration from predominantly Muslim countries.

She has been fined four times for inciting racial hatred since 1997, at first 1,500 euros and most recently 5,000.

Prosecutor Anne de Fontette told the court she was seeking a tougher sentence than usual, adding: "I am a little tired of prosecuting Mrs Bardot."

Bardot did not attend the trial because she said she was physically unable to. The verdict is expected in several weeks.

French anti-racist groups complained last year about comments Bardot made about the Muslim feast of Eid al-Adha in a letter to President Nicolas Sarkozy that was later published by her foundation.

Muslims traditionally mark Eid al-Adha by slaughtering a sheep or another animal to commemorate the prophet Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his son on God's orders.

France is home to 5 million Muslims, Europe's largest Muslim community, making up 8 percent of France's population.

"I am fed up with being under the thumb of this population which is destroying us, destroying our country and imposing its acts," the star of 'And God created woman' and 'Contempt' said.

Bardot has previously said France is being invaded by sheep-slaughtering Muslims and published a book attacking gays, immigrants and the unemployed, in which she also lamented the "Islamisation of France."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=entnews

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Keltoi
04-16-2008, 12:50 PM
lol...it isn't really funny, but I was thinking of how many people in the United States would stand trial if similar laws existed in the U.S. I find it hard to fathom why France believes putting people on trial for offensive language is going to curb that sentiment. It will probably only reinforce it.

جوري
04-16-2008, 06:06 PM
That old w h o r e is just looking to recapture the attention she received in her youth..
when you can't take your clothes off any more, go for the default approach, insulting Muslims is always en vogue..

would love to see how she'd fare if her insults were directed toward Jews... 'anti-defamation' anyone?

cheers

Whatsthepoint
04-16-2008, 06:42 PM
I don't think she should be prosecuted. She did not incite murder or violence, she merely expressed her views on immigration, which is a basic human right, no matter how extreme the views may be.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, let it be about muslim immigration or sinfulness of certain types of meat.
I wonder how the muslim community would react, if clerics were suddenly prosecuted for saying bad things about non-muslims, homosexuals etc..

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
04-16-2008, 07:24 PM
are we comparing religion to a sexual act?
It is very natural for people to protest, you know for the same reason 'holocaust deniers' are prosecuted and imprisoned...

You have to draw the line some where.. this isn't a free for all.
common decency and values should stand for something!

I am not arguing for or against immigration... Don't know how the whole shbeal works, from my understanding those granted visas are the best the country has to offer.. those who drain the country's resources otherwise come both from within and without.. God knows I have seen my share of american deadbeats..

cheers

Whatsthepoint
04-16-2008, 07:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eve Persephone
are we comparing religion to a sexual act?
It is very natural for people to protest, you know for the same reason 'holocaust deniers' are prosecuted and imprisoned...

You have to draw the line some where.. this isn't a free for all.
common decency and values should stand for something!

I am not arguing for or against immigration... Don't know how the whole shbeal works, from my understanding those granted visas are the best the country has to offer.. those who drain the country's resources otherwise come both from within and without.. God knows I have seen my share of american deadbeats..

cheers
No, we're not. We are however comparing religion to other kinds of beliefs and opinions.
I don't think holocaust deniers should be prosecuted, although IMHO there's a huge difference between denying a genocide and opposing immigration, even if the holocaust didn't happen to such a large scale, or didn't happen at all.
the situation in western Europe is compeletely different from that in the States. Most immigrants in Europe, including the majority of muslims, are poorer and less educated than the rest of the population, the unemployment rates are significantly higher etc.

جوري
04-16-2008, 07:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
No, we're not. We are however comparing religion to other kinds of beliefs and opinions.
Homosexuality is a lewed sexual act in which two men get bent with each other.. I can't draw any assimilation between that and religion... anymore than I can draw a comparison between homosexuality and a pearl necklace on a little girl!

I don't think holocaust deniers should be prosecuted, although IMHO there's a huge difference between denying a genocide and opposing immigration, even if the holocaust didn't happen to such a large scale, or didn't happen at all.
the situation in western Europe is compeletely different from that in the States. Most immigrants in Europe, including the majority of muslims, are poorer and less educated than the rest of the population, the unemployment rates are significantly higher etc.
Her argument is against Muslims period.. homosexuals period.. immigration period.. each unto itself a different class...
I concede I don't know the first thing about immigration in Europe vs. the States.. the Muslim community in the states is very affluent even if their voices aren't heard, their taxes certainly provide provision of economic assistance to needy and not so needy welfare spongers...
Middle Eastern immigrants were highly educated, with 49 percent holding at least a bachelor's degree, compared to 28 percent of natives.

Median earnings for Middle Eastern men were $39,000 a year compared to $38,000 for native workers.

they tend to be better-educated than native U.S. residents — about half hold bachelor's degrees, compared to 28 percent of natives. They also perform as well economically as natives — 30- and 40-year-old Middle Eastern males with a college education have the same median income as natives, and Middle East immigrants are more likely be self-employed.

Middle Eastern Immigrants in U.S. Educated, Prosperous, Study Says
Gannett News Service, August 15, 2002

(Also ran in Arizona Republic - 8/15)

WASHINGTON — Middle Eastern immigrants in the United States are well educated, earn more money than most Americans and are predominantly Muslim, according to a report released Wednesday.

They also are among the nation's fastest-growing immigrant groups, according to the report issued by the Center for Immigration Studies in Washington, a think tank that supports reducing the number of immigrants to the United States.

The report says the number of Middle Eastern immigrants increased from fewer than 200,000 in 1970 to almost 1.5 million in 2000. The overall number of foreign-born residents in the United States tripled to 31 million over the same period.

The report offers a rare portrait of an immigrant group that has received intense scrutiny and negative publicity since the Sept. 11 attacks.
Project MAPS, a survey of "Muslims in the American Public Square" conducted in 2001-2002 by researchers at Georgetown University, found that 86 percent of all Muslim professionals were concentrated in three careers: engineering, computer science, and medicine. Law, law enforcement, and politics accounted for a minuscule 0.6 percent. American Muslims, some demographers say, have also been voting well below their numbers in the population -- registering to vote at only half the national rate, according to the 2001 American Religious Identification Survey [PDF], a project of the Graduate Center of the City University of New York. "If they ever did play to their weight" in the electoral arena and in Washington, Muslims "would be a much more considerable force in public policy-making," says Steve Clemons, a Democrat who directs the American Strategy Program at the New America Foundation in Washington.

http://www.wilsoncenter.org/topics/p...ab_America.pdf
http://www.cis.org/articles/2002/mideastcoverage.html
I think that beldam should quit spewing her miasma and contemplates another way to receive attention... hasbeen histrionics are the most hungry for recognition and they don't have a single creative way to go about it...

cheers

Whatsthepoint
04-16-2008, 08:03 PM
Homosexuality is a lewed sexual act in which two men get bent with each other.. I can't draw any assimilation between that and religion... anymore than I can draw a comparison between homosexuality and a pearl necklace on a little girl!
Well, I believe neither religion nor sexual orientation should be a basis for discrimination.
I'm not in favor of any kind of hate speech legislation apart from that against inciting violence or murder, however should there ever be such laws, which I guess already exist in france, they should protect everyone, muslims, atheists, gays etc So, if people got fined or imprisoned for offending muslims, the same thing should be done with people who preach hate against gays.
I hope that answers your question.
and btw, lesbians are homosexuals too.
Her argument is against Muslims period.. homosexuals period.. immigration period.. each unto itself a different class...
It seems she apologized for both:
Bardot, in a letter to a French gay magazine, wrote in her defense: "Apart from my husband - who maybe will cross over one day as well - I am entirely surrounded by homos. For years, they have been my support, my friends, my adopted children, my confidants.
Bardot denied the "racial hatred" charge and apologized in court, saying: "I never knowingly wanted to hurt anybody. It is not in my character.
[/QUOTE]

جوري
04-16-2008, 08:13 PM
Well, I believe neither religion nor sexual orientation should be a basis for discrimination.
If you are one thing and not another you are already discriminate.. we all live on our perception of difference.. that is how we compare/ contrast--understand right from wrong..I don't see how that can be misconstrued into 'inciting violence' there is a disparity here in communication...

I'm not in favor of any kind of hate speech legislation apart from that against inciting violence or murder, however should there ever be such laws, which I guess already exist in france, they should protect everyone, muslims, atheists, gays etc So, if people got fined or imprisoned for offending muslims, the same thing should be done with people who preach hate against gays.
I hope that answers your question.
and btw, lesbians are homosexuals too.
People are imprisoned for committing lewed acts in public... not so when parading in thongs or kissing in front of little children?.. I find that very odd.. Haven't personally taken out the time to protest it, prefer to just keep the children protected when the homos are in town widely gesticulating... lesbians indeed can be classified as gays.. I am not particularly sure what it is they can manage to do with one another, other than trying to grow beards and wearing fake phalli to immitate men... easier to make an analogy of men but next time I'll make sure I include the lesbos too, so that they don't feel left out..

cheers

Whatsthepoint
04-16-2008, 08:28 PM
[QUOTE]
People are imprisoned for committing lewed acts in public... not so when parading in thongs or kissing in front of little children?.. I find that very odd.. Haven't personally taken out the time to protest it, prefer to just keep the children protected when the homos are in town widely gesticulating...
Well, this is why parades and protests need to get a permission from the city authorities. they also require to announce the dates and locations, so people can avoid them.
I'm pro gay marriage, adoption etc, however I too am opposed to parading in thongs and nun costumes. I believe it should be limited somehow.
lesbians indeed can be classified as gays.. I am not particularly sure what it is they can manage to do with one another, other than trying to grow beards and wearing fake phalli to immitate men... easier to make an analogy of men but next time I'll make sure I include the lesbos too, so that they don't feel left out..
cheers
well, they can do a lot of things together..

Pygoscelis
04-16-2008, 09:12 PM
[QUOTE=Whatsthepoint;928480]
I'm pro gay marriage, adoption etc, however I too am opposed to parading in thongs and nun costumes. I believe it should be limited somehow.
It is essentially a celebration of the taboo. Homosexuality has been subjected to shame and taboo for so long that the backlash is "gay pride". People want to show that they are not ashamed, so they go too fare in the opposite direction. I think it only natural that other irrational taboos (nudity, etc) will be attacked in the same venue.

We need to recognize that our society, which celebrates violence but makes sex taboo, is in serious need of a look-over.

Abdul Fattah
04-16-2008, 09:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
lol...it isn't really funny, but I was thinking of how many people in the United States would stand trial if similar laws existed in the U.S. I find it hard to fathom why France believes putting people on trial for offensive language is going to curb that sentiment. It will probably only reinforce it.
I don't think the idea is to "curb the sentiments". Slander is still a crime last I checked that even overrules freedom of speech. So I think prosecutors do this to serve justice, not to fight the sentiment. Also don't forget Europe has a dark history of racism. We haven't forgotten it, and most Europeans don't want to go back there.

Amadeus85
04-16-2008, 11:02 PM
When next time some French atheist insult catholicism I expect him to meet the same fate as mrs Brigitte.

Tania
04-24-2008, 03:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
When next time some French atheist insult catholicism I expect him to meet the same fate as mrs Brigitte.
She loves the animals and she wants to protect them. I understand her 100% and sustain her. Its very hard for her to see or just hear how are killed the poor animals. I told to the butcher too he is a murdered, a cold blooded murderer. :X

The catholics are very tolerant.

The_Prince
04-24-2008, 03:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tania
She loves the animals and she wants to protect them. I understand her 100% and sustain her. Its very hard for her to see or just hear how are killed the poor animals. I told to the butcher too he is a murdered, a cold blooded murderer. :X

The catholics are very tolerant.
lol that would be funny to watch u calling an animal butcher a murderor. :statisfie

now as for how the animal is killed, in Islam we kill it instantly no pain, thats how it should be.

The_Prince
04-24-2008, 03:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
she was attacking the Muslim people, not the religion only, hence 2 different things.

Tania
04-24-2008, 03:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by The_Prince
she was attacking the Muslim people, not the religion only, hence 2 different things.
Off course she is attacking the muslim people because from all the animals ,she loves the dogs. Or tell me are the muslim keeping dogs like pets. Are they in good conditions kept :? I read an article about how skinny are the few dogs from saudi opposite to the fat cats. I go to look after few pictures.
Look at a cute puppy in Turkey - without owner:

*Hana*
04-25-2008, 01:51 AM
Off course she is attacking the muslim people because from all the animals ,she loves the dogs. Or tell me are the muslim keeping dogs like pets. Are they in good conditions kept :? I read an article about how skinny are the few dogs from saudi opposite to the fat cats. I go to look after few pictures.
What about the thousands of puppy mills in North America? Ever see one? Any idea what happens inside one of those places? Before talking about skinning dogs in another country, think of the starving, beaten, caged, uncared for dogs in puppy mills. Breeders, as they're called, are kept in small cages the entire breeding lives and then slaughtered when they can no longer produce.

Is this much better for you?

I could show you some pretty graphic pictures of those suffering animals, but best you google Puppy Mills yourself and see how you feel about a skinny dog in Saudi compared to what you see there. If you're in North America....best you fix your own problem before being critical of a skinny dog in another country.

As far as the slaughter goes...death is instant and painless. Unlike the electricity used to stun the animal before killing it. Funny thing...it's only stunned, not on conscience, and can feel immense pain. Often, they are not cut properly and are skinned while very much alive. Compare that to the deep, swift cut with a sharp knife.

Here is part of a report after an experiment was conducted by the MSA at the University of Miami:

I - Halal Method

1. The first three seconds from the time of Islamic slaughter as recorded on the EEG did not show any change from the graph before slaughter, thus indicating that the animal did not feel any pain during or immediately after the incision.

2. For the following 3 seconds, the EEG recorded a condition of deep sleep - unconsciousness. This is due to a large quantity of blood gushing out from the body.

3. After the above mentioned 6 seconds, the EEG recorded zero level, showing no feeling of pain at all.

4. As the brain message (EEG) dropped to zero level, the heart was still pounding and the body convulsing vigorously (a reflex action of the spinal cord) driving maximum blood from the body: resulting in hygienic meat for the consumer.

II - Western method by C.B.P. Stunning

1. The animals were apparently unconscious soon after stunning.

2. EEG showed severe pain immediately after stunning.

3. The hearts of the animal stunned by C.B.P. stopped beating earlier as compared to those of the animals slaughtered according to the Halal method resulting in the retention of more blood inthe meat. This in turn is unhygienic for the consumer.

Your call!!

Hana

Malaikah
04-25-2008, 02:17 AM
Muslims don't even keep dogs as pets! :) And I don't know what has to do with this topic as we don't eat dogs either.+o(

Tania
04-25-2008, 07:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
Muslims don't even keep dogs as pets! :) And I don't know what has to do with this topic as we don't eat dogs either.+o(
Yes, but its the only religion, after my knowledge which doesn't keep dogs like pets. In fact over there dogs are considerated like pests. I found this very disturbing. But she is on trial only for the sheep remarque.
As for B.B. she is very protective with dogs. I am grateful to her and her foundation when she stoped the killing of our stray dogs from Bucharest. She saved her:

"Since 1998, the Foundation leads a large campaign for the sterilization of stray dogs in Eastern Europe. Indeed, in the case of Romania where the BBF has opened an office, over 200 000 dogs wander aimlessly around the streets of Bucharest. They became homeless when Ceaucescu tore down the equivalent of three Parisian districts to erect his gigantic palace.
The Romanians were left in utter misery. As they could not pay the “dog tax”, they had not other choice than to abandon their pets.
The animals, left to themselves, proliferated excessively and gradually swamped the capital. This situation is far from unique; in several countries a massive amount of stray dogs are put down.

To stop the carnage, the Foundation prepared sterilization and vaccination programmes that will hopefully set an example. the itinerant veterinary clinic inaugurated by Brigitte Bardot in 2002 operates in .., Romania..."

I think everyone should try to save the stray dogs. If they can't afford to offer them a warm house, at least to give them food.
Our dogs without owner:

Hana_Aku: I didn't read the way in which are killed the sheeps. I prefer don't know.

*Hana*
04-25-2008, 10:13 AM
Hana_Aku: I didn't read the way in which are killed the sheeps. I prefer don't know.

Really? Then, quite frankly, if you're going to keep your head up your butt and your eyes closed to the reality, keep your uneducated comments to yourself until you take the time to educate yourself on the matter.

Obviously, you didn't look at the puppy mill pictures or you certainly wouldn't have posted the pics of the healthy looking dogs in your most recent post.

Listen, just because you refuse to see the truth, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You're going on about things you have no clue about and you really need to educate yourself before making further comments.

Hana

Whatsthepoint
04-25-2008, 04:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hana_Aku
Here is part of a report after an experiment was conducted by the MSA at the University of Miami:

1. The first three seconds from the time of Islamic slaughter as recorded on the EEG did not show any change from the graph before slaughter, thus indicating that the animal did not feel any pain during or immediately after the incision.
2. For the following 3 seconds, the EEG recorded a condition of deep sleep - unconsciousness. This is due to a large quantity of blood gushing out from the body.
3. After the above mentioned 6 seconds, the EEG recorded zero level, showing no feeling of pain at all.
4. As the brain message (EEG) dropped to zero level, the heart was still pounding and the body convulsing vigorously (a reflex action of the spinal cord) driving maximum blood from the body: resulting in hygienic meat for the consumer.
In a study entitled Attempts to Objectify Pain and Consciousness in Conventional (captive bolt pistol stunning) and Ritual (halal, knife) Methods of Slaughtering Sheep and Calves’, carried out by Professor Wilhelm Schulze and his colleague Dr. Hazim at the School of Veterinary Medicine, Hanover University, Germany,
2. For the following 3 seconds, the EEG recorded a condition of deep sleep - unconsciousness. This is due to the large quantity of blood gushing out from the body.
3. After the above-mentioned 6 seconds, the EEG recorded zero level, showing no feeling of pain at all.
4. As the brain message (EEG) dropped to zero level, the heart was still pounding and the body convulsing vigorously (a reflex action of the spinal cord) driving a maximum amount of blood from the body thus resulting in hygienic meat for the consumer.
So, what's it gonna be? Miami or Hanover?

*Hana*
04-25-2008, 10:12 PM
Ohhh dunno, perhaps the MSA used that experiment to post their findings. It wasn't clear in the portion I read and I had assumed the MSA in Miami conducted the experiment.

Regardless...the end result remains the same, so take your pick.

Hana

edit: Yup, you are 100% correct, I gave credit to the MSA when it should have gone here: Professor Schultz and his colleague Dr. Hazim of the Hanover University, Germany.

Thank you for pointing that out, I will be more careful to read ALL the parts in the future, and not just the bottom of the article where it thanked the MSA of Miami for providing it. Had I not skimmed through the upper portion, I would have seen clearly where credit was due. :)

barney
04-25-2008, 10:25 PM
Did Bridgett Bardot slaughter a dog painfully in a non halal way?

Ive seen some threads skid about, even skidded some myself. I would never in a billion years have connected Bridget Bardots nationalism and anti-multiculturalism with skinning puppies.

*Hana*
04-25-2008, 10:28 PM
You have to go back and read Tania's posts to see where that came from and slid way off course from the topic.

Hana

Tania
05-01-2008, 05:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hana_Aku
Really? Then, quite frankly, if you're going to keep your head up your butt and your eyes closed to the reality, keep your uneducated comments to yourself until you take the time to educate yourself on the matter.

Obviously, you didn't look at the puppy mill pictures or you certainly wouldn't have posted the pics of the healthy looking dogs in your most recent post.

Listen, just because you refuse to see the truth, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You're going on about things you have no clue about and you really need to educate yourself before making further comments.

Hana
I am quite educated, thank you for concern. By any chance, have you thought at the slight chance, she has some muslims neighbour which doesn't kill the sheep in the halal way :? Do you think are all muslims the same :? One bad sample value more than what you never saw with your eyes.

*Hana*
05-01-2008, 08:41 PM
I am quite educated, thank you for concern. By any chance, have you thought at the slight chance, she has some muslims neighbour which doesn't kill the sheep in the halal way :? Do you think are all muslims the same :? One bad sample value more than what you never saw with your eyes.
I wasn't talking about what she said I was talking about what you said and openly admitted you "don't want to know", so until you opt to educate yourself about these matters, say nothing about them because you don't know what you're talking about. I wasn't insulting your level of education or lack of it, I was referring to THIS topic and your own admittance of choosing to comment without knowledge.

Hana

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.