/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Saudi

Pages : [1] 2

Umar001
04-17-2008, 04:11 PM
As Salaam Alaykum,

Anyhow done it? What are the pros and cons what advise would you give etc.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Huma*
04-17-2008, 04:36 PM
:salamext:

I don't know :-[

But someday I really want to move on to Saudi Arabia..

Fishman
04-17-2008, 05:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
As Salaam Alaykum,

Anyhow done it? What are the pros and cons what advise would you give etc.
:sl:
I heard its hard to get a visa, you need a job that is useful to them.

Not that I'm interested in going. I don't want to move to Saudi Arabia unless the House of Saud is somehow removed or overthrown (preferably peacefully). I don't like the country very much.
:w:

crayon
04-17-2008, 07:23 PM
I live in Riyadh and I pretty much hate it here.
If you have any specific questions I'd be glad to answer, else I could just ramble on forever about what it's like here.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Soulja Girl
04-17-2008, 07:36 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
If you have any specific questions I'd be glad to answer, else I could just ramble on forever about what it's like here.
^Haha, I'm assuming it must be real bad there then right? :X
I would like to move there though...Or to any other Arab country, Syria or Yemen maybe...

crayon
04-17-2008, 07:40 PM
It's just my personal opinion, really.. It's a bunch of stuff that have me hating this particular place, it's not all the country's fault.:P

I love Syria, but I'm like really really biased (i'm from there:D). I guess a large part of that love is because it's home.

aadil77
04-17-2008, 07:44 PM
It's just my personal opinion, really.. It's a bunch of stuff that have me hating this particular place, it's not all the country's fault.:P

I love Syria, but I'm like really really biased (i'm from there:D). I guess a large part of that love is because it's home.
so sis get us started :D what is soo bad there? I mean we would expect it to be all good as its an 'islamic' country with shariah laws

So besides the corruption of the royal family, whats soo bad about saudi?

Umar001
04-17-2008, 07:48 PM
Yes, please explain why you dislike it please.

Soulja Girl
04-17-2008, 07:48 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
So besides the corruption of the royal family, whats soo bad about saudi?
^xD I defo agree wiv you on that point! :D

crayon
04-17-2008, 08:04 PM
First off, like I said, a lot of it is based on my personal experience, and a lot of it doesn't even have to do with the country itself.

I hate the "shariah" that is practiced here.
I hate that they ignore major issues while focusing on trivial, insignificant things. For example the red things on valentines day. I agree with what they did, but all there are so many more important things that they just willingly ignore.
I hate how crappy their traffic law enforcement is. My brother is 14, half the kids in his class drive and have cars. I know 3 people that have been killed in car accidents caused by underage drivers, and several people that were seriously injured. In all the cases, the driver was saudi, in all the cases, they were free to go.
I despise the racism in favor of saudis and against foreigners, especially those from india, pakistan, south east asia, etc.
There is nothing to do but go to malls. Absolutely no other form of entertainment, halal or otherwise.
Most "religious policemen" ie muttwia "advise" people in the exact opposite way as described by the prophet peace be upon him.
I can't think of any more at the moment, but if I do I'll come back and add them.

There are definitely some good things about living here, though, but most could be said for any muslim country, tbh. I like hearing the adhan, I like there being a mosque wherever you are. I like being able to visit the kaba more often than I would be if I didn't live here..

Hope that helps.. I apologize if I'm being to pessimistic, but this subject brings me downnnn. Got any questions I could answer?

edit- i hate how unsafe it is. Women do not walk in the streets for fear of being harassed/attacked. This is broad daylight btw, not at night. Stopping taxis in the street is rare, since those are also unsafe. Whenever my mom and I need to go somewhere and my dad can't take us (and since women can't drive we can't go alone), we call a taxi company. In syria I can walk home alone at midnight and be safe (bi'thni Allah, of course), and here I can't walk home in the middle of the day. There have been so many kidnappings of children, and even adults. My teachers son was kidnapped and almost raped when he was a teenager. He know some karate and attacked the guy, and escaped and ran till he found a police car. He told the police what happened, they asked if the kidnapper had a gun. He said no, the police said there was nothing they could do. They just left.

Soulja Girl
04-17-2008, 08:20 PM

Well that really puts me off...How is it like in Syria? I'm sure its much better?

InToTheRain
04-17-2008, 08:28 PM
Abu Dharr(RA) wrote a letter to Salman Al Farsi(RA) asking him to come and live where he lives, in the "Holy land"
Salman Al-Farsi Replied "it is not the land that makes a person holy...it is their deeds"

After which Abu Dharr(RA) went and joined Salman Al-Farsi in Jihad Fi-Sabeelillah.

Umar001
04-17-2008, 08:28 PM
First off, like I said, a lot of it is based on my personal experience, and a lot of it doesn't even have to do with the country itself.

In what way? You mean as you explained below:

I hate that they ignore major issues while focusing on trivial, insignificant things. For example the red things on valentines day. I agree with what they did, but all there are so many more important things that they just willingly ignore.
I hate how crappy their traffic law enforcement is. My brother is 14, half the kids in his class drive and have cars. I know 3 people that have been killed in car accidents caused by underage drivers, and several people that were seriously injured. In all the cases, the driver was saudi, in all the cases, they were free to go.
I despise the racism in favor of saudis and against foreigners, especially those from india, pakistan, south east asia, etc.
what about in housing and medical stuff, what is it like? A big barrier?

Most "religious policemen" ie muttwia "advise" people in the exact opposite way as described by the prophet peace be upon him.
What ya mean sister?

edit- i hate how unsafe it is. Women do not walk in the streets for fear of being harassed/attacked. This is broad daylight btw, not at night. Stopping taxis in the street is rare, since those are also unsafe. Whenever my mom and I need to go somewhere and my dad can't take us (and since women can't drive we can't go alone), we call a taxi company. In syria I can walk home alone at midnight and be safe (bi'thni Allah, of course), and here I can't walk home in the middle of the day. There have been so many kidnappings of children, and even adults. My teachers son was kidnapped and almost raped when he was a teenager. He know some karate and attacked the guy, and escaped and ran till he found a police car. He told the police what happened, they asked if the kidnapper had a gun. He said no, the police said there was nothing they could do. They just left.
Ok well see now am confused, dang, sound dangerous.

Fishermans_eye
04-17-2008, 11:45 PM
Saudis have oil and that corrupts. I've seen it first hand in central Asia. The states with oil and gas transforms. Modern buildings, nice cars on the road. They think they are better and "smarter", than the people of nations without natural resources. And the worst thing is that they start drinking and committing other forms of sin. And they excuse that by paying for mosques.

Ebtisweetsam
04-18-2008, 03:15 AM
I always wanted to live in Saudi too...
I think its likea muslim thing... you assume cos its the Prophet Muhammads Birth place that it should be the most Islamic.
Also when people come back from Hajj, and brag about the best experience ever, you really want to go experience the life there.
I heard actually that animals were sooooo thin, that they were basically starving there.... is that true?

ABWAN
04-18-2008, 06:16 AM
Interesting and quite shocking as well. I have heard first hand accounts of how safe it is for women in Saudi. Although I have heard about how men keep staring at women and would propose any day anywhere, I have always heard its very safe in Saudi. The only reason I have liked Saudi so far was because I thought it was a safe haven for muslims, esp women!

crayon
04-18-2008, 09:26 AM
In what way? You mean as you explained below:

I mean that they do carry out shariah punishments a lot of the time, but the rest of the time it's corruption with the label of shariah.

what about in housing and medical stuff, what is it like? A big barrier?

I'm not too sure about housing and health care, whether they're expensive or not.. All non saudis have to pay for health care, though, but that's a given for any foreigner in a country. A lot of foreigners here live in compounds, mainly westerners and arabs coming from the west. Normal saudi laws don't apply in compounds, so you don't have to wear abayas, women swim in the public pools, they have dances and parties. But if you're coming to saudi to steer clear of the west I'm pretty sure that's not what you're looking for. And previously, they didn't let women with hijab live in compounds. I lived here for a year in 2000, and we weren't allowed to stay in a compound because my mom wore hijab. After the bombings though all of them allow it now, if I'm not mistaken. Some don't allow abayas, though.

What ya mean sister?

There are religious policemen that occasionally raid malls in search of people doing haram things.. Haram police (ummahfilms!) basically. But instead of telling women to cover their hair in a nice way (or anything else), they tell them they're going to hell, they're committing a huge sin and will be punished, chase them around, etc.

Ok well see now am confused, dang, sound dangerous.

Of course it's not as extreme as it sounds, because I'm just isolating different incidents, but it is definitely not safe.
ABWAN- Yeah, the staring is a given in any arab country really, but I've never heard of people being proposed to, only hit on and being thrown numbers written on pieces of paper. It is not the safest place for a woman to be.

crayon
04-18-2008, 09:34 AM
aadil- the law enforcement is crap. after the red light turns on, you need to wait about 30 seconds before you can move because there's always like 10 cars that go through it.

fishermans_eye- that's exactly right. Most of the gulf countries are like this, but not as bad as saudi. I've lived in saudi, bahrain, and the uae, and i've visited oman, and this place is by far the worst. The bahraini people are great, even if there is a lot of haram that goes on there.

ebtis- i don't think i've ever seen any animals here, so i can't comment on that. hajj and umrah are amazing experiences, but living in this country is not. Live in a nearby country and make umrah often, but don't live here. :P

crazy_lady- if you've ever been to any of "bilad al sham" (syria, lebanon, jordan, palestine), syria is pretty much like that. the people are mellow, it's quite safe (although lately it's actually been getting worse).. there aren't many foreigners in syria though, especially in aleppo where i'm from, they're mainly in damascus.

Umar001
04-18-2008, 09:51 AM
Are you speaking then of a particular city in saudi i.e. where you have stayed or have you been loadsa places?

Souljette
04-18-2008, 10:03 AM
yee i've heard alottt about Saudi and WHOAAA...i freaked outt...some realll bad stuff so I dn't think i'll go dere to live fr a whilee.jst inshallah Hajj and Umrah and dats it

Umar001
04-18-2008, 10:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Souljette
yee i've heard alottt about Saudi and WHOAAA...i freaked outt...some realll bad stuff so I dn't think i'll go dere to live fr a whilee.jst inshallah Hajj and Umrah and dats it
From who? Reliable? Stuff like what?

I'm hearing very different pics from different sources.

S_87
04-18-2008, 10:57 AM

every country has its ups and downs, good and bad. one persons experience may be quite different to anothers.
it depends on what each person wants. and a lot of people tend to point out the badness and corruption of saudi, but not the good points.
foreigners from the west (especially white reverts) are given pretty good treatment.
yes there is abuse to maids and stuff like that but not to all maids.
theres a lot of segregation in the country.
general racism- its not like it is in the UK. some people do give a few comments or make fun of a certain race.
corruption- theres corrupt people everywhere so it depends.
things to do- although there arent cinemas there are bowling alleys, gyms, swimming facilities and skating etc.
oh this isnt from me, this is from someone who lives there and used to live in England.

Umar001
04-18-2008, 12:06 PM
Can you ask them how they got to live there?

crayon
04-18-2008, 12:20 PM
Are you speaking then of a particular city in saudi i.e. where you have stayed or have you been loadsa places?
I've been to Makkah and Medina but I don't know much about things there other than the kaaba and al masjid al nabawi. Jeddah is a lot more relaxed and open than Riyadh is. Khobar and Dammam are likewise. As for the rest of Saudi, I don't know. What I'm mainly talking about is Riyadh.

And again, this is just my personal experience, other people may have the exact opposite experience and love it here. I guess you won't really be able to tell much unless you come here yourself and check it out. Maybe come for umrah and visit Jeddah/Riyadh?

Also, not sure if you're interested in the school scene, but most reverts home school their children here in Riyadh. The schools are either ones that don't have quality education, or ones that do have quality education but are not segregated, celebrate christmas, easter, valentines, and all that (the american and british schools). These are english language schools I'm talking about, I'm not sure about arabic schools.

It's that white reverts are given veryy special treatment,and I've noticed that there are a lot of western reverts that live here..

Souljette
04-18-2008, 01:02 PM
Ye frm reliable sources and it's not about Saudi itself it's also about the people there..the women and the underground corruption that goes on..and the way they use the laws...They use it more to their advantage then using it for the people's..Ofcourse this is everywhere but I think it's just a bit too much for me specially the fact that you can't even go out because the men start throwing numbers out and you can't drive for the same reason.

Fishermans_eye
04-18-2008, 02:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani
foreigners from the west (especially white reverts) are given pretty good treatment.
I know a guy that had an uncle living in Saudi Arabia. He was an expat and a western convert. He needed an emergency surgery. But he could not get it cause his Saudi "host" just died and couldn't "approve".

(Not 100% sure of this could be wrong.)
There are different systems to how much money people make in their Job. Different amounts for different nationalities and religion.

Umar001
04-18-2008, 02:30 PM
I have heard things are changing so lets try keep with the most update status, from what I understand Jeddah is more diverse than Riyadh?

crayon
04-18-2008, 02:33 PM
I'm afraid I don't know much about Jeddah other than it's more laid back than here..

Umar001
04-18-2008, 02:46 PM
I'm afraid I don't know much about Jeddah other than it's more laid back than here..
So you are living in riyadh right now? Like typing thisfrom there?

chacha_jalebi
04-18-2008, 02:49 PM
ive heard that saudi arabia, are really tight in givin nationality, like i know people who have been born their but because their parents were not arab citizens they didnt get citizenship, also my uncle has been workin in riyadh, for over 40 years and he still aint got nationality lol, so i think just moving to saudi is quite hard...

life there is woo hoo though

crayon
04-18-2008, 02:50 PM
So you are living in riyadh right now? Like typing thisfrom there?
Yeah, I moved here in 2005, so it's been 3 years. Before that I also lived here for a year in 2000, and it was way stricter back then.

Fishermans_eye
04-18-2008, 02:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
ive heard that saudi arabia, are really tight in givin nationality, like i know people who have been born their but because their parents were not arab citizens they didnt get citizenship, also my uncle has been workin in riyadh, for over 40 years and he still aint got nationality lol, so i think just moving to saudi is quite hard...

That's pretty okay. Same rules as most countries, UAE, Kuwait, Japan, Switzerland, Estonia et c. That's no problem.

An Apartheid system and people running immigrants over with cars and getting away with it cause they are Saudi, that is not okay.

Umar001
04-18-2008, 02:54 PM
Yeah, I moved here in 2005, so it's been 3 years. Before that I also lived here for a year in 2000, and it was way stricter back then.
So for example, you now, could you go outside with your father or husband if you wished? Or with a hired driver?

If so, then is it likely that the police will just stop you for 'fun' or harras you randomly?

crayon
04-18-2008, 02:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi

That's true, they rarely give citizenships, unless you've done something outstanding, or have "connections". You can get a work visa, but you have to have a Saudi host who will sponsor you. I'm not sure about study visas, whether they have them or not.

Oh, and I thought of 2 more good things about living here! We get the last 10 days of ramadan off so we can do lots of ibada. By "we" I mean schools and public companies, private companies are different. And also, the internet is censored quite well, unless you're determined, then you can get around it, but it's quite safe for kids to be online alone inshallah.

Amat Allah
04-18-2008, 02:59 PM
be with Allah and Allah will be with you anywhere...

crayon
04-18-2008, 03:02 PM
So for example, you now, could you go outside with your father or husband if you wished? Or with a hired driver?

If so, then is it likely that the police will just stop you for 'fun' or harras you randomly?
Yes, you could. Strictly speaking, most restaurants aren't supposed to let women in without a mahram, but they do anyway these days, not like before. Women are allowed into malls by themselves. Single men aren't allowed into malls on the weekend, only during the week, especially if they are teenagers.

The police won't harass you randomly most of the time, but if they see a suspicious looking couple, like they are not related or something, they will talk to them. If they are not related, they will get trouble. Once friends of ours got into trouble because a man was out with his wife and sister. They asked where the sister's husband was, and they gave them a bit of trouble. But things like that happening are quite rare.

Umar001
04-18-2008, 03:06 PM
That's true, they rarely give citizenships, unless you've done something outstanding, or have "connections". You can get a work visa, but you have to have a Saudi host who will sponsor you. I'm not sure about study visas, whether they have them or not.
But can you work there and keep working there as long as you get the sponsor from a company? And the host has to be arab, so any arab business can sponser you?? Am confused, so if I know someone with an arab business i can get sponsored and keep renewing it??

Yes, you could. Strictly speaking, most restaurants aren't supposed to let women in without a mahram, but they do anyway these days, not like before. Women are allowed into malls by themselves. Single men aren't allowed into malls on the weekend, only during the week, especially if they are teenagers.
So if you go out is it common to get robbed or mugged or have that sort of trouble?

The police won't harass you randomly most of the time, but if they see a suspicious looking couple, like they are not related or something, they will talk to them. If they are not related, they will get trouble. Once friends of ours got into trouble because a man was out with his wife and sister. They asked where the sister's husband was, and they gave them a bit of trouble. But things like that happening are quite rare.
Ok, so if you are married you have to have the paper with you when you are out with your wife right, to like prove that you are married?

Is the law system fair in the sense that, do people get accused of things alot?

crayon
04-18-2008, 03:21 PM
But can you work there and keep working there as long as you get the sponsor from a company? And the host has to be arab, so any arab business can sponser you?? Am confused, so if I know someone with an arab business i can get sponsored and keep renewing it??

It's either a company that sponsors you (which is sponsored by a saudi, i think), or a Saudi. For example, my dad works for nokia. Instead of having nokia sponsor him, he is sponsored by a saudi friend. This is because if he, for any reason, stops working at nokia, he will have to leave the country immediately, had that company been sponsoring him. But if it's an individual sponsor, he can stay here so long as he is sponsored by that guy. As for whether it can be just a saudi or whether it has to be a saudi business, I don't know unfortunately.

So if you go out is it common to get robbed or mugged or have that sort of trouble?

It's not common per se, but it's better to be on the safe side and don't go out late at night alone, for women to always be with a man, that sort of thing.

Ok, so if you are married you have to have the paper with you when you are out with your wife right, to like prove that you are married?

Yeah, there's a thing called an iqama, which you have to carry with you at all times. It basically says that you are a legal resident here, who your sponsor is, who your family is, etc.

Is the law system fair in the sense that, do people get accused of things alot?

In that sense it is fair, yes. But if you ever get into any sort of trouble with a saudi, don't be too hopeful on getting a 100% fair trial.
Inshallah everything I'm telling you is correct, I apologize for any mistakes I make.

Fishermans_eye
04-18-2008, 03:26 PM
can get a work visa, but you have to have a Saudi host who will sponsor you.
Please tell me true or false. Your Saudi host employer must get your passport when you arrive. And he decides if you can leave?:D

Umar001
04-18-2008, 03:28 PM
It's either a company that sponsors you (which is sponsored by a saudi, i think), or a Saudi. For example, my dad works for nokia. Instead of having nokia sponsor him, he is sponsored by a saudi friend. This is because if he, for any reason, stops working at nokia, he will have to leave the country immediately, had that company been sponsoring him. But if it's an individual sponsor, he can stay here so long as he is sponsored by that guy. As for whether it can be just a saudi or whether it has to be a saudi business, I don't know unfortunately.

So your dad is sponsored by his friend on what basis? That his friend is his employer?

Also do you each have individual iqamas like id cards or what?

crayon
04-18-2008, 03:57 PM
So your dad is sponsored by his friend on what basis? That his friend is his employer?

Also do you each have individual iqamas like id cards or what?
Yeah, his friend is his employer, and they actually do have a separate business going as well.

No, the iqama is just one document. It's a residence and work permit, so the person working, ie. the father or husband, carries it.

Fishermans_eye- For that I'm not sure. I've heard that too, but we have our passports with us. Maybe it depends on each person and their sponsor, like it's agreed beforehand?

Umar001
04-18-2008, 04:06 PM
What are the houses like? And living costs? I mean can a man support his family ok or is it not posible?

What bout schooling for you and other children and doctors/hospitals?

crayon
04-18-2008, 04:26 PM
Depends on what kind of house you live in. If it's a compound, then you will definitely need the company you're working for to pay, because they're expensive. If it's a villa or apartment, I'm not sure exactly how much, but this website looks pretty good.

"Monthly Rent ($)

1-bedroom apartment 750–1,000

2-bedroom apartment 1,000–1,500

3-bedroom apartment 1,500–1,800

2/3-bedroom villa 1,800–2,250

4+-bedroom villa 2,250+
"
source

Check this site out, it looks great. linkkk

As for living costs, it's getting more expensive. Inflation lately has been crazy. We used to fill up a shopping cart for the weeks groceries and have it be 200-250 riyals, now it's like 400. Everything is more expensive.

And it depends on how much money you make, really. We know several people that come here alone for the first year or two to get settled in, check the place out, make sure that it will work, then bring their family.

Again, it depends on the kind of school you're going to put the kids in. International schools (ones that teach in english), have an average price of about 15-20,000 riyals a year for a kid my age, 11th grade. Obviously the younger the child, the less you pay. I don't know about arabic schools, and non saudis aren't accepted into public schools.
I don't know much about healthcare, sorry.

The most important things are housing, schooling, and healthcare. If your company provides you with those, or even just a fraction of the cost, it would probably work inshallah. Because those are the things that drain your money, basically, the rest is just usual stuff.

crayon
04-18-2008, 04:31 PM
cost of living in saudi arabia

Fishermans_eye
04-18-2008, 04:35 PM
As for living costs, it's getting more expensive. Inflation lately has been crazy. We used to fill up a shopping cart for the weeks groceries and have it be 200-250 riyals, now it's like 400. Everything is more expensive.
Maybe cause your central bank is run by people from nice families/connection rather than the best economists?

Umar001
04-18-2008, 04:51 PM
Yea that site is informative, it sounds pretty hard subhanAllah.

crayon
04-18-2008, 04:57 PM
It's pretty much the same for all gulf countries. If you can find a job that pays for housing, school, and health care, then it wouldn't be so hard, if not, it is quite difficult.
But inshallah if you want to come, Allah will make it easy for you. If you don't mind my asking, why do you want to come here? Any specific reason or are you just looking for a muslim country to move to?

Umar001
04-18-2008, 05:01 PM
The knowledge insha'Allah and also the lifestyle would make it easier to practice. Plus the Uk is going downhill in my area.

crayon
04-18-2008, 05:07 PM
Two good reasons mashallah. Like I said, maybe you could get a umrah visa, they're really easy to get, and come and check it out here, ask around for jobs, housing, what it's like here, etc. Maybe try online job listings? And if you're really serious about it make istikharah and inshallah Allah will bring the best to you.

Umar001
04-18-2008, 05:09 PM
Two good reasons mashallah. Like I said, maybe you could get a umrah visa, they're really easy to get, and come and check it out here, ask around for jobs, housing, what it's like here, etc. Maybe try online job listings? And if you're really serious about it make istikharah and inshallah Allah will bring the best to you.
Well my cousins soon to be wife and her sister and mother live in Jeddah and so does a very close family friend of ours, would that help do you think?

crayon
04-18-2008, 05:10 PM
Help in what way?

Umar001
04-18-2008, 05:26 PM
Help in what way?
Like making it any easier to get jobs and other things like that through them?

pauper
04-18-2008, 05:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
I heard its hard to get a visa, you need a job that is useful to them.

Not that I'm interested in going. I don't want to move to Saudi Arabia unless the House of Saud is somehow removed or overthrown (preferably peacefully). I don't like the country very much.

That sounds like a very uneducated statement of a person that does not live in KSA and is talking from Hear say .

The rulers in KSA Try their best to Give everything to its Citizens and Residents and to the rst of the Islamic world , no one is perfect .

Problem is that people only want to see the Negatives and ignore anything positive , Like who builds their Masjids in the west , supplies them with litretures , and Chrarity works .

pauper
04-18-2008, 06:01 PM

There is nothing to do but go to malls. Absolutely no other form of entertainment, halal or otherwise.
I can't think of any more at the moment, but if I do I'll come back and add them.

There are definitely some good things about living here, though, but most could be said for any muslim country, tbh. I like hearing the adhan, I like there being a mosque wherever you are. I like being able to visit the kaba more often than I would be if I didn't live here..

Hope that helps.. I apologize if I'm being to pessimistic, but this subject brings me downnnn. Got any questions I could answer?

What do you mean , You hate the Shariah ? Isnt the Shariah of Islam 1 ?

If it is so bad why do you stay ?

crayon
04-18-2008, 06:13 PM
pauper- A lot of what they practice here is what they want with the name shariah simply stamped onto it. And also, the west look to saudi arabia as an example of a perfect islamic state, the embodiment of islam and all its principles. It misrepresents islam. Yes, many other muslim countries do the same, but Saudi Arabia is the only one that claims to be an islamic state (other than iran maybe).
I stay because I'm 16 and can't exactly move somewhere by myself. My dad's job is here, so we are here, alhamdullilah. If it was up to me, I would not stay. And like I said, it's not that bad, this is just what I don't like about the country. Of course there are lots of good things about living here, but if it were up to me personally, I would not want to live here.

Al Habeshi- Unless they know someone who runs a business, or have lots of connections, then probably not. Although they could be useful in asking around for a job for you, asking people they know, etc. Since they're familiar with the place they could help you get acquainted, find a place to stay.

Another thing that is important is whether you have a family or not. For example it would be much cheaper for you to come alone, seeing as you could find a housemate and split the rent or something, but if you have a wife and kids, that's extra expenses.

Umar001
04-18-2008, 06:18 PM
Al Habeshi- Unless they know someone who runs a business, or have lots of connections, then probably not. Although they could be useful in asking around for a job for you, asking people they know, etc. Since they're familiar with the place they could help you get acquainted, find a place to stay.
Hmm but if they run a business themselves then thats dandy?

crayon
04-18-2008, 06:22 PM
If you can get a job there, then yeah, that would be pretty good. But again, housing, schooling, and healthcare. Would a job they offered you supply those (or some of them)? If not, unless you have a ginormous (and by ginormous I mean HUGE) salary, it would still be tough.

Have you tried asking them about here? What did they tell you?

Fishman
04-18-2008, 06:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by pauper

Problem is that people only want to see the Negatives and ignore anything positive , Like who , , .
That sounds like a very uneducated statement of a person that does not live in KSA and is talking from Hear say .
Yes, I am talking from what I have heard from others, rather than experience. But why have I never heard any pro-Saudi 'hear-say'? No smoke without fire...

And even though I speak from what I have learnt from others, people like Crayon don't.

The rulers in KSA Try their best to Give everything to its Citizens and Residents and to the rst of the Islamic world , no one is perfect .
Don't be so naive.

builds their Masjids in the west
Yes, they do do this, but see below comment...

supplies them with litretures
Often misleading extremist 'litretures'.

and Chrarity works
I agree that this is a good thing, but the bad outwieghs this in my opinion.

What is the bad, you say?
  • Racism against Asians
  • Enslaving little boys so they can be camel racing jockeys
  • Descerating or demolishing holy places. One of their kings even chipped the Prophet (peace be upon him)'s name from one of the sacred mosques and put his own name in its place!
  • Selling oil and helping global warming
  • Being dependent on oil rather than diversifying
  • Oppressing Christians and Jews
  • Censoring those who want to criticise the king, like other political parties
  • Oppressing the poor oil workers

Umar001
04-18-2008, 06:25 PM
Can we keep polotics outa this? Jee. Why's somethings so difficult.

smile
04-18-2008, 06:26 PM
i just went to Saudi for Umrah!
i enjoyed the umrah part and the mosques but

-the weather is tooo hot!
-the men stare at women too much even tho there's nothing to see
-the women are oppressed-we couldn't go to the 3rd floor of the haram and couldnt touch the kabah door (i did manage to push my way to the black stone)
-they are an "islamic country" but some of their rules have nothing to do with Shariah
-they treat the workers(asians)so low
-they are too lazy(i have neva seen 1 saudi doing work)

Mercedes
04-18-2008, 07:04 PM

A lot of what they practice here is what they want with the name shariah simply stamped onto it. And also, the west look to saudi arabia as an example of a perfect islamic state, the embodiment of islam and all its principles. It misrepresents islam. Yes, many other muslim countries do the same, but Saudi Arabia is the only one that claims to be an islamic state (other than iran maybe).
I stay because I'm 16 and can't exactly move somewhere by myself. My dad's job is here, so we are here, alhamdullilah. If it was up to me, I would not stay. And like I said, it's not that bad, this is just what I don't like about the country. Of course there are lots of good things about living here, but if it were up to me personally, I would not want to live here.

Another thing that is important is whether you have a family or not. For example it would be much cheaper for you to come alone, seeing as you could find a housemate and split the rent or something, but if you have a wife and kids, that's extra expenses.
Like what sis Crayon? what is there thats claimed as Shariah and not Shariah that's being practiced? alot of it is more Saudi culture and nothing to do with the law, but when in Rome..... we have to respect the culture as well as the laws in the country we live in, or get out.

Likewise in any other country.

The immense charity work the royal family does inside and outside of KSA is amazing.

Just say alhamdulillah ur in a country where you dont have to pay a dime of taxes sis Crayon :)

Hasanah
04-18-2008, 07:43 PM
-the weather is tooo hot!
not in Al-Madinah, Asir Region.

pauper
04-18-2008, 08:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hasanah
not in Al-Madinah, Asir Region.
What ? :)

Madeenah is one of the hottest , tempretures reaching 45-46 centigrade in Summer , Sometimes duing Dhuhr u cant even take a bath so hot the water is .

M.B
04-18-2008, 08:50 PM
Pauper true in madinah its really hot.

M.B
04-18-2008, 08:53 PM
when i went there it was really nice both mecca and madinah in jeddah my uncle lives there he has a really good job there but i dont know wat he works as.

Mercedes
04-18-2008, 08:59 PM

Its getting hotter now in Makkah and the water in the taps cannot be differentiated between hot and cold anymore.

Not to mention its awfully crowded and its just the beginning of Umrah season.

Maybe he works with Aramco Bro MB :?

ummAbdillah
04-18-2008, 09:01 PM
Is it difficult for women to work in saudi, because of the ban on women driving etc. :sl:

S_87
04-18-2008, 09:11 PM
Can you ask them how they got to live there?

they are originally from there, however i do know of people who moved to Makkah. what kind of questions do you want answering?

and try www.hijra.net, quite a few people moved there

the women are oppressed-we couldn't go to the 3rd floor of the haram and couldnt touch the kabah door (i did manage to push my way to the black stone)
do you mean the roof? thats because its closed off for everyone. women can go up there, ive been quite a few times.
you can touch the kabah door as a woman, i again know of women who have got that close, however theres so much men there that is it right for the women to push themselves up against and near the men to touch the door? i think not.

Umar001
04-18-2008, 09:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani

they are originally from there, however i do know of people who moved to Makkah. what kind of questions do you want answering?
Wa alaykum salam,

Just stuff like, how are they managing to stay in the country? Renewing work permits or what?

Mercedes
04-18-2008, 09:30 PM
Is it difficult for women to work in saudi, because of the ban on women driving etc.
I work here quite comfortable sis, we have chauffeurs :)

Bro Habeshi, u either apply for a job and u r sponsored under the company, or sponsored by a Saudi friend, or u can attain a foreign investment license which allows u to open ur own business and u more or less live like a Saudi here.

frosama
04-18-2008, 09:31 PM
I've been thinking of moving to an Islamic Country for years... after I finish my education and get a degree. Having to indirectly support wars through paying taxes to the US government is unbearable.

So what would you guys say the best country in the middle east for a practicing muslim?

That isn't that harsh to expatriates
no alcohol
Adhaan can be heard

I was thinking along the lines of Kuwait, Jordan, or other surrounding areas

Mercedes
04-18-2008, 09:38 PM

Well alcohol is prevalent in both Kuwait and Jordan, and yes i must admit it has illegally entered KSA but its not something permitted or sold or common in KSA.

The adhaan is the best thing about KSA, with two streets theres about 6 masaajid, subhanallah.

frosama
04-18-2008, 09:45 PM
I knew Jordan was a bit easy going with alcohol comparitively, but I thought Kuwait was nearly as strict as Saudi about alcohol.

I've only read about them on the Internet and I'm not sure if they are all reputable sources.

Mercedes
04-18-2008, 09:49 PM
salam,

The best thing would be to get in contact with someone living there. But honestly speaking, if ur looking for the above and ur from a western country, you wouldnt have to worry about any expat problems in KSA, and you would likely land a very good job here.

Danah
04-19-2008, 08:07 AM
I went their manytimes.
what sis crayon said about trafic is sooo true. I dont know what is the use traffic jam there. Its so dangerous to drive there, you have to be very careful.
another thing there is that the driving licenses laws there are very weak. imagine that one time while I was there I was surprised for a moment when I look at one of the cars I imagine for a moment that there is no one driving it (it was just a child driving) he is too short to even be seen. I am seriuos on this

for the racism, it is not against those who are from east asia, I think sometimes it is for non Khaligi people (people who are not from arabian gulf country)

but what I like most there is the law against woman hijab, there is even what is called hai'aah which is group of men moving around to check if woman is dress well or not but I am not sure if it is in all cities in the knigdom there.
another thing I like there is that I think the religious activities there is better than any islamic country I guess----some one correct me if its wrong

wait, there is somthing else I forgot, if the woman there walk all by himself it is very danger, especially in the public garden or on the malls, I dont know but my friends there are really suffering from those bad yourg men who like to Harass woman there

I donno, it has been couple of years since I went there last time, I dont know if something change.

Mercedes
04-19-2008, 09:30 AM
Salam,

Its quite the contrary actually, KSA is very safe for women. i've been here almost 6 years now, alone, and i find it safe to walk at all hours of day or night. sure maybe a young teen may open his car window and flirt a bit, ignoring is the cure, but the danger is not even comparable to living in the west. A rape here makes big news cuz it happens so rarely.

Umar001
04-19-2008, 10:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mercedes
salam,

The best thing would be to get in contact with someone living there. But honestly speaking, if ur looking for the above and ur from a western country, you wouldnt have to worry about any expat problems in KSA, and you would likely land a very good job here.
Wa Alaykum Salaam,

What type of jobs are eeasy to land there that provide you with a long long long stay?

What city you at?

Mercedes
04-19-2008, 10:54 AM

Your long long long stay would more or less depend on you and your work, in any situation companies keep good workers :) Engineers, doctors, researchers, deep-sea divers, teachers, are very valuable. Cooks, managers, supervisors, are very valuable in the hospitality field, which is a huge industry in Makkah and Madeenah due to the immense Hajj and Umrah tourism.

If you have the cash to invest in ur own business to obtain a foreign investor license, you are more less guaranteed to stay as long as u wish, and also under this you may bring your own family and foreign workers under your own company's sponsorship.

Umar001
04-19-2008, 11:07 AM
So wha type of businesses do people normally open, gosh I dont wanna open a business but if thats what it takes,

Mercedes
04-19-2008, 11:17 AM

Restaurants, training centers (IT/language), hotels (the best cuz of hajj and umrah), industrial production companies, importing goods, shops of any kind, gyms and fitness centers, almost anything really, and would depend on how much u have to invest.

Maybe you should try applying for a job, if all else fails then consider the business route.

Umar001
04-19-2008, 11:23 AM

Restaurants, training centers (IT/language), hotels (the best cuz of hajj and umrah), industrial production companies, importing goods, shops of any kind, gyms and fitness centers, almost anything really, and would depend on how much u have to invest.

Maybe you should try applying for a job, if all else fails then consider the business route.
Yea, insha'Allah.

Do the poor people live in real bad houses?

pauper
04-19-2008, 11:41 AM
I want to ask the people here who are Digging up all these faults about KSA , What and How do want us to be ?

Angels ? I mean why dont you look in your own backyards and Communities then Judge us ?

Umar001
04-19-2008, 11:43 AM
I thought we had left the faults behind, lets leave it, I mean, every place has faults but what I am hearing about saudi is good wal hamdulillah

pauper
04-19-2008, 11:47 AM
I thought we had left the faults behind, lets leave it, I mean, every place has faults but what I am hearing about saudi is good wal hamdulillah
Thats you saying it , the others here are like We are angels and KSA is the Devil .

I mean KSA are normal people living normal lives , we have good and bad people like in every society .

they talk bad about the Saudi government yet they pray in the masjids the Saudi government builds for them In their countries .

How do u view that bro ?

Umar001
04-19-2008, 11:48 AM
Na'am I can understand, but I dont want this thread to turn into a political thing, people should realise that alot of people have said bad and good, experiences of people are just that, some people have bad experience some have good, we cant really judge until we been out there ourselves.

I've been reading blogs about people who have lived out there and they themselvs praise the people and the country.

pauper
04-19-2008, 11:50 AM
Na'am I can understand, but I dont want this thread to turn into a political thing, people should realise that alot of people have said bad and good, experiences of people are just that, some people have bad experience some have good, we cant really judge until we been out there ourselves.

I've been reading blogs about people who have lived out there and they themselvs praise the people and the country.
Then u should tell that to the people using KSA for a punching bag in the thread too .

Shukran

crayon
04-19-2008, 12:32 PM
People have different opinions due to different experiences. You may love Saudi, others may not. And that's pretty much it, really.

"alot of it is more Saudi culture and nothing to do with the law"
That's exactly what I'm saying. But then they call that shariah, which is not fair. Yes, a lot of countries have different laws too, but Saudi Arabia is the only one that claims to follow shariah.

Again, I don't deny that Saudi does a lot of good things. Saudi Arabia is not "the devil". This thread asked for pros and cons, not just all the wonderful things about living in Saudi Arabia. I gave my personal opinion, why is that a problem?

If you've got any other questions brother Al Habeshi, feel free to ask and I'll answer to the best of my ability inshallah. And no more talk from me about politics, I'm done..

Mercedes
04-19-2008, 12:43 PM

Whenever did they call culture law? the Shariah is shariah here, pls tell us what particular aspect of the laws here are not Shariah???

They dont only claim to follow it, they DO follow it, maybe some of us cant accept that but thats the way it is.

Umar001
04-19-2008, 12:45 PM
I heard that there are poor people. what is their living conditions? Like, do they have run down parts of the city where they all live or something?

crayon
04-19-2008, 12:45 PM
Why do they ban people from openly practicing a religion other than islam? Why do they ban churches and synagogues from being built?

Umar001
04-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Oh for the love of goodness, I really dont wanna delete posts, if you wanna make your own thread about whether saudi does this or that then do so, and see if it survives long. But please, please dont destroy this one.

Al-Zaara
04-19-2008, 12:52 PM
edited, sorry Al-Habeshi.

pauper
04-19-2008, 12:56 PM
People have different opinions due to different experiences. You may love Saudi, others may not. And that's pretty much it, really.

"alot of it is more Saudi culture and nothing to do with the law"
That's exactly what I'm saying. But then they call that shariah, which is not fair. Yes, a lot of countries have different laws too, but Saudi Arabia is the only one that claims to follow shariah.

Again, I don't deny that Saudi does a lot of good things. Saudi Arabia is not "the devil". This thread asked for pros and cons, not just all the wonderful things about living in Saudi Arabia. I gave my personal opinion, why is that a problem?

If you've got any other questions brother Al Habeshi, feel free to ask and I'll answer to the best of my ability inshallah. And no more talk from me about politics, I'm done..

Just cause you having bad Experiences and Cant have FUN ! :statisfie as u put it doesnt mean that they whole country is bad .

Umar001
04-19-2008, 12:57 PM
I guess we finished with the polotics now right guys? Jazakumullahu khayr

crayon
04-19-2008, 12:57 PM
My apologies, I'm definitely done this time..

As for poor people, I've also heard that there are some here, but I've never come across any, at least not to my knowledge. I'm guessing people with less money would live in cheaper parts of town, therefore live in the same area? But I'm not sure...

Umar001
04-19-2008, 01:01 PM
Oh ok jazaakumullahu khayr sis

Umar001
04-19-2008, 01:11 PM
Where do the behedings and so forth take place? I heard there is a square, but is that in every city or just some?

Also are there checkpoints betwen cities?

crayon
04-19-2008, 01:16 PM
I'm not sure if it's in every city, but there is a square here in the old souk, I've never been though, it's in a really old traditional part of town.

And yes, I'm pretty sure there are checkpoints between cities (not 100% though, lemme ask and if it's a no, I'll let you know inshallah)

Umar001
04-19-2008, 01:21 PM
Sorry if it seems repetative,

So if you can get a person who owns a business, even like a cafe, to sponsor you, you can move out there as long as they wish to hire you?

crayon
04-19-2008, 01:30 PM
No, no problem at all.
And that's right. As long as someone sponsors you by providing you with a job, you can stay in Saudi Arabia. However, once your contract with that company ends (if they don't renew it), and you don't have a job anymore, then you have to leave immediately. That's pretty much the downfall. As long as you have a job, you can stay, if not, you have to leave.

Umar001
04-19-2008, 01:32 PM
No, no problem at all.
And that's right. As long as someone sponsors you by providing you with a job, you can stay in Saudi Arabia. However, once your contract with that company ends (if they don't renew it), and you don't have a job anymore, then you have to leave immediately. That's pretty much the downfall. As long as you have a job, you can stay, if not, you have to leave.
So if I have a friend who owns a shop, as long as his business is running I can stay there if he keeps renewing my work thing? But if his business dies and I cant get a job am off back home.

crayon
04-19-2008, 01:35 PM
Yup, exactly.

Umar001
04-19-2008, 01:48 PM
Aite, this is the thing, my family friend I found out yday owns a cafe place, so he can hire me as anything he wants and I can work for him right?

And can I look for other jobs then if he does hire me? Like better paid and so forth, and then if I work with them (other jobs) and the contract finishes Ican go back to the family friend?

YusufNoor
04-19-2008, 01:53 PM
I guess we finished with the politics now right guys?
was followed by:

Where do the beheadings and so forth take place?

sorry Easa, i just found that funny! :D

i'm actually in a similar situation Akhi, my wife's brother lives in Makkah and she wants us to move there. i'm of the mindset that Medinah would be better, but based upon some maybe unfounded ideas was thinking that UAE or another country. at any rate, we hope that, In Sha'a Allah, we are able to make Hijra to the Arabian peninsula!

those who are offended by anti-Saudi remarks, could you let us which remarks and why? [if that's OK Easa] the beginning of the thread had me thinking no-way to go there, but it isn't based upon knowledge that is for certain accurate!

regarding the Hospitality Industry, are the workers at the big hotels in Makkah and Medina Muslim? or are they Immigrant workers?

what do all the malls, restaurants and hotels do at prayer time? who minds the store? who watches the ovens? who watches the front desk?

Why do they ban people from openly practicing a religion other than Islam? Why do they ban churches and synagogues from being built?
i thought that after the conquest of Makkah, the Messenger of Allah, Salla Allahu Alayhe Wa Salaam, banned all other religions! it IS "our" "Holy Land", innit?

but if there are no churches and synagogues, dose that mean there are no non-Muslim tourists in Makkah and Medinah? i ask because i spent 30 years in the Hospitality business and it may be where i can not only find employment but do some good as i spent most of my life training folks and resolving disputes in that arena.

nice thread and i hope my questions or comments don't offend anyone!

crayon
04-19-2008, 01:55 PM
As long as he owns it, like, he's not just working there, he actually owns the place, then yeah, he can hire you.

I asked my parents a saudi person needs to sponsor a business and they said no, as long as it's a legit business, the owner can hire people and sponsor them.

Inshallah everything I'm telling you is right, I'd hate to give you the wrong info. I'm pretty sure of everything I'm saying, and if I'm not, I'm mentioning it, so if you find out anything contrary to what I'm telling you, I apologize..

crayon
04-19-2008, 02:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by YusufNoor
but based upon some maybe unfounded ideas was thinking that UAE or another country.

Actually, if you want it to be somewhere "islamic" in the UAE, I would recommend sharjah. It's more conservative than dubai and AD, mashallah it's great there. Alcohol is also not allowed there (for whoever it was that was wondering about alcohol)

regarding the Hospitality Industry, are the workers at the big hotels in Makkah and Medina Muslim? or are they Immigrant workers?

I'm not sure about madinah, but in makkah they are mostly saudis and muslim immigrant workers.

what do all the malls, restaurants and hotels do at prayer time? who minds the store? who watches the ovens? who watches the front desk?

The store closes and all the men go to the masjid to pray (one thing i like about saudi). If you're in a restaurant, they close the doors, don't let any body out or in, stop serving, but you stay inside the restaurant.

but if there are no churches and synagogues, dose that mean there are no non-Muslim tourists in Makkah and Medinah? i ask because i spent 30 years in the Hospitality business and it may be where i can not only find employment but do some good as i spent most of my life training folks and resolving disputes in that arena.

Again, I'm not sure about madinah, but non muslims are definitely not allowed into makkah.

Umar001
04-19-2008, 02:17 PM
As long as he owns it, like, he's not just working there, he actually owns the place, then yeah, he can hire you.

I asked my parents a saudi person needs to sponsor a business and they said no, as long as it's a legit business, the owner can hire people and sponsor them.

Inshallah everything I'm telling you is right, I'd hate to give you the wrong info. I'm pretty sure of everything I'm saying, and if I'm not, I'm mentioning it, so if you find out anything contrary to what I'm telling you, I apologize..
Well he aint saudi, so he doesnt have land, what he does do is rent the land and runs the business i.e. he owns the business but not the land if that makes sense, in that case what is the position? Can he hire me?

YusufNoor
04-19-2008, 02:26 PM

what about censorship? i have a large selection of works put out by Mesorah Publishing, a Jewish company specializing in conservative Jewish commentary on the Torah and Tanakh. [i find them indispensable for Comparative Religion discussions] is one allowed to have those in Makkah and Medinah and will they get past customs through the mail? [if/when i order more]

The store closes and all the men go to the masjid to pray (one thing i like about saudi).
is this enforced? what if you're sick? [btw, it sounds awesome! the main reason my wife married me is because i attend the Masjid for all 5 prayers. that is harder in the winter when 4 of the 5 prayes are during work and i HATE IT WHEN I CAN'T PRAY ON TIME :raging: ]

crayon
04-19-2008, 02:36 PM
Al Habeshi- I'm pretty sure he can, as long as he has a legit business that has gone through all the proper procedures to be set up, then he can sponsor people to work in his company, and inshallah it should be fine. Best ask him to make sure of everything before you decide on anything, of course.

YusufNoor- I'm pretty sure those won't be allowed. They don't even allow bibles. And all packages are checked before they are delivered to your home, and a lot of the time they never arrive. A friend sent me a package from canada containing cookies, candy, that sort of stuff. She sent it in october, it arrived last month. She also sent a book in another package which hasn't arrived yet, and I doubt it ever will. It was called "extremely loud and incredibly close" if you want to google it, I doubt it has anything offensive in it, but oh well. I never order anything from online because things usually get lost/taken in the mail.

Yeah, it's enforced very well. Usually everyone just closes come salah time, but the security guards go around the mall to make sure everyone is following the rules just in case.

Umar001
04-19-2008, 02:54 PM
can you get an indefinate visa for working or do you keep renewing it?

Also, if you marry a woman from there do you get nationality? (nt that that is my intention, lol)

edit: also, if i go for a job then everything that i have will be included with that, like money and other expensise, if the job pays rubbish then thats it, am like in trouble right?

Ali.
04-19-2008, 03:10 PM

Bro', I know crayon is answering most of your questions masha'Allah, but here's a good site I found.

pauper
04-19-2008, 03:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali.

Bro', I know crayon is answering most of your questions masha'Allah, but here's a good site I found.

The Only reason Crayon is dislikes it here , cause as she/he said , you cant have fun here , but Why she/he is still here only Allah knows if it so bad , Must be like all others who hate it here but want to live here for the MONEY ! .

Umar001
04-19-2008, 04:00 PM
The Only reason Crayon is dislikes it here , cause as she/he said , you cant have fun here , but Why she/he is still here only Allah knows if it so bad , Must be like all others who hate it here but want to live here for the MONEY ! .
Bro I think she said that it was cos she is only 16, it would be abit hard for her to move out wouldn't it.

Anyhow, everyone is giving their opinion on the matter, crayon has said theres good and bad I think.

Brother Ali may Allah reward you with good thank you for the site!!

Mercedes
04-19-2008, 04:23 PM

Aite, this is the thing, my family friend I found out yday owns a cafe place, so he can hire me as anything he wants and I can work for him right?

And can I look for other jobs then if he does hire me? Like better paid and so forth, and then if I work with them (other jobs) and the contract finishes Ican go back to the family friend?

Yes he can do that and u can work for him, but check into the average money people who work in cafes make here :) it isnt much, since they usually hire third world workers for that. Maybe he could put u down as a managerial position.

U have to renew ur visa (iqamah) every 2 years. If you find a better job, u can transfer ur iqaamah to that company.

a foreign investor license allows u to own land and property just like a citizen.

Mercedes
04-19-2008, 04:24 PM

No you dont get nationality for marrying a saudi woman, and your children are not Saudi, but if a woman marries a saudi man she gets the nationality :) and her children.

Umar001
04-19-2008, 04:34 PM

Yes he can do that and u can work for him, but check into the average money people who work in cafes make here :) it isnt much, since they usually hire third world workers for that. Maybe he could put u down as a managerial position.

U have to renew ur visa (iqamah) every 2 years. If you find a better job, u can transfer ur iqaamah to that company.

a foreign investor license allows u to own land and property just like a citizen.
Wa Alaykum Salaam,

So if I own land there then how can I get kicked out? What if my business is going downhill and I close it down but I still own the land do I get kicked out?

No you dont get nationality for marrying a saudi woman, and your children are not Saudi, but if a woman marries a saudi man she gets the nationality and her children.

I heard that if you do 'extraordinary' things then you may get citizenship? Like one brother, shaykh, from my country got citizenship or so I am told, Tawfiq as Sayegh an imam in a masjid. True, i think he is in Jeddah

Mercedes
04-19-2008, 04:39 PM

U will not be kicked out as long as you have property in ur name here, cuz ur money was invested in that land. u r still an investor in the country.

Yeah the citizenship is sometimes played around with for big people, and people who can pay for it :) there are qualifications to be met though.

Umar001
04-19-2008, 04:41 PM

U will not be kicked out as long as you have property in ur name here, cuz ur money was invested in that land. u r still an investor in the country.

Yeah the citizenship is sometimes played around with for big people, and people who can pay for it :) there are qualifications to be met though.
Wa Alaykum Salaam,

SubhanAllah, wow I didnt know that about the land thing, I thought if you were not saudi you couldnt own load, but I guess the land is expensive.

Also if you work and you want to go back to the UK or something for a month what do you have to do? is it very complicated?

Also, if you own an apartment in a block is that the same as owning land>?

Mercedes
04-19-2008, 04:53 PM

It depends on where, and usually ranging from $20K USD to millions. Of course land in Makkah and Madeenah prices are sky-high. you can usually find land cheap in areas that are now being developed, but within a couple years are worth alot.

Umar001
04-19-2008, 04:59 PM
Thanks I edited the questiosn to add these

Also if you work and you want to go back to the UK or something for a month what do you have to do? is it very complicated?

I was thinking land in Jeddah

Also if someone wants to send you money say from the UK is that easy? Like if I had family in the UK sending me money whilst I worked in Jeddah

frosama
04-19-2008, 05:03 PM
Some questions I've had

so pretty difficult for a male to get citizenship even if he has been living as an expatriate in the country for many years?

Is the heat unbearable, as in do you have to stay inside all the time because of the heat?

Is it true that saudi is mostly desert and has little vegetation? Is it possible to have a small personal garden or is it difficult due to the weather?

Are sandstorms very dangerous if you cannot get indoors or are they not that bad?

crayon
04-19-2008, 05:10 PM
Thanks I edited the questiosn to add these

Also if someone wants to send you money say from the UK is that easy? Like if I had family in the UK sending me money whilst I worked in Jeddah
I sold my photos to a london based company a while ago, and they wired me the money without any trouble, so inshallah that wouldn't be a problem.

If by going back to the UK for a month you mean like a holiday, then I'm pretty sure it would be easy, since a lot of foreigners work here, they usually try to visit home during the summer.

Not sure about your other question, though.

frosama- yeah, very very difficult to get the citizenship unless you've done something extraordinary or have connections.

I've never been here in the hottest months of the year, but the heat is tolerable because you don't go out in the street much. It's from air conditioned car to air conditioned house to the air conditioned mall- air conditioning is a must here. I actually forget I'm living in Saudi sometimes because most of the time you don't even feel the heat.

There was actually a big sandstorm about 3 days ago, but I didn't even notice it until my dad mentioned it to me on the phone. I've never been outside during one, though. They're not as common as you might think.

Umar001
04-19-2008, 05:16 PM
I sold my photos to a london based company a while ago, and they wired me the money without any trouble, so inshallah that wouldn't be a problem.

If by going back to the UK for a month you mean like a holiday, then I'm pretty sure it would be easy, since a lot of foreigners work here, they usually try to visit home during the summer.

Not sure about your other question, though.
Yea, like going back to the UK to earn abit of money or something?

Alsobefore it was said that it owuld be better if the friend would employ me as a manager or so cos the wages of the normal staff is low, but its upto him how much he pays me right? Like no matter the position if he chooses to pay me x amount he can?

Mercedes
04-19-2008, 05:18 PM

you have to get an exit and re-entry stamp on ur passport which usually takes 24hours. no problems, and most big companies pay for ur vacation.

No, you own the building, whoever else owns the land , usually the gov't, would pay you off for your building if they ever decided they wanted their land. you are quite protected by the law under a foreign investment license.

Land within jeddah, on the outskirts of jeddah, or in the developing areas of jeddah?

very easy, there is Western union here, or you can do a wire transfer thru banks. many banks here are UK, USA, France, Dutch, affiliated.

Umar001
04-19-2008, 05:23 PM

No, you own the building, whoever else owns the land , usually the gov't, would pay you off for your building if they ever decided they wanted their land. you are quite protected by the law under a foreign investment license.
And then they'd kick you out since you wont have a business?

Land within jeddah, on the outskirts of jeddah, or in the developing areas of jeddah?
The cheapest to be honest I aint made of money lol.

very easy, there is Western union here, or you can do a wire transfer thru banks. many banks here are UK, USA, France, Dutch, affiliated.
Masha'Allah, so I could work in a real cheap job but get funding from home in the UK which would help me out, would the pound be strong when converted to the Riyal? Meaning I could survive on low funding from the Uk?

crayon
04-19-2008, 05:25 PM
I'm afraid I'm not sure if there's a certain time limit you can stay out of saudi else your contract is annulled or something like that. Maybe you can read up on it on the saudi foregin affairs online? I tried to access it in english, but it's not working. Not sure if you know arabic, bu here's the arabic version anyway: http://www.mofa.gov.sa/

Yeah, I don't think there's anything like minimum wage here or anything, but I could be mistaken. And that's definitely correct, you should try to get a managerial position if you can, a normal position would pay much less and probably not be enough. Before you accept anything, though, calculate how much it would cost you a month to live here. Rent, healthcare, food, car (public transport here isn't that great), gas money, etc. Then figure out how much salary you'll need to be able to make a bit of money or break even. If you're offered less than that, you would be paying out of your own pocket, and eventually be completely screwed. So you've got to weigh it out and see whether it works or not.

crayon
04-19-2008, 05:27 PM
According to google, 1 British pound = 7.46084182 Saudi riyals.
A can of soda is 1 riyal if that's a way to gauge it by, heh.

Umar001
04-19-2008, 05:49 PM
Is there an age where say you are like 80 they dont kick you out even if you aint working? If your not saudi?

Also if you are not saudi, you have to pay for your kids to go school right? What if you cant afford it? Is there an age where they pay for them, like obligatory age for everyone to be at school and then they can leave?

Mercedes
04-19-2008, 05:53 PM

Is there an age where say you are like 80 they dont kick you out even if you aint working? If your not saudi?

Also if you are not saudi, you have to pay for your kids to go school right? What if you cant afford it? Is there an age where they pay for them, like obligatory age for everyone to be at school and then they can leave?
As long as u have residence here (work/business visa) your kids can go to either public (unpaid) or private schools.

NO, as long as u have an investment in the country they wont kick u out, and there are other means to stay here even without a job.

Umar001
04-19-2008, 05:59 PM
As long as u have residence here (work/business visa) your kids can go to either public (unpaid) or private schools.

SubhanAllah! This was a part that was worrying me.

Wht about me, could I go study at places whilst I am also working? Like night classes or weekend ones, if I find them?

NO, as long as u have an investment in the country they wont kick u out, and there are other means to stay here even without a job.
What other means?

Mercedes
04-19-2008, 06:00 PM

The sandstorms usually come at the change of season. In the summer months, people generally dont go outside to wander around till after asr. you will see people picnic-ing in the dark :) the months of november, december, january and february are cooler, with temps going as low at 10 degrees in some places like Madeenah and riyadh. the mountainous regions far north sometimes get snow, like this year.

You will find KSA much more developed than the desert we all imagine it to be. there are high rises and skyscrapers that make NYC look like ants :P

pauper
04-19-2008, 06:01 PM
I'm afraid I'm not sure if there's a certain time limit you can stay out of saudi else your contract is annulled or something like that. Maybe you can read up on it on the saudi foregin affairs online? I tried to access it in english, but it's not working. Not sure if you know arabic, bu here's the arabic version anyway: http://www.mofa.gov.sa/

Yeah, I don't think there's anything like minimum wage here or anything, but I could be mistaken. And that's definitely correct, you should try to get a managerial position if you can, a normal position would pay much less and probably not be enough. Before you accept anything, though, calculate how much it would cost you a month to live here. Rent, healthcare, food, car (public transport here isn't that great), gas money, etc. Then figure out how much salary you'll need to be able to make a bit of money or break even. If you're offered less than that, you would be paying out of your own pocket, and eventually be completely screwed. So you've got to weigh it out and see whether it works or not.
I rest me case , crayon seriously you are not giving the people here the correct impression of the country , you talking about it everything negative and nothing positive .

Why dont you tell us how nice it is in syria under Assads rule ? in another thread off course .

Umar001
04-19-2008, 06:04 PM
As Salaam Alaykum Akhi,

What was wrong with what she said there? Im confused akhi

Mercedes
04-19-2008, 06:13 PM
SubhanAllah! This was a part that was worrying me.

Wht about me, could I go study at places whilst I am also working? Like night classes or weekend ones, if I find them?
Yep. you can always go to the Islamic university for a diploma in arabic and further ur degree in shariah, fiqh, hadith, quraan, etc, or if u prefer academics theres many vocational colleges and training centers. The american open univeersity is available in Jeddah and currently being developed here in Makkah.

Other means being you can seek a saudi for sponsorship, or simply make a deal with the company u worked for to keep u under their sponsorship.

Mercedes
04-19-2008, 06:15 PM

What was wrong with what she said there? Im confused akhi
Whats wrong is shes only giving u it as SHE sees it, very opinionated and unfactual and not the way it is generally.

Umar001
04-19-2008, 06:15 PM
Yep. you can always go to the Islamic university for a diploma in arabic and further ur degree in shariah, fiqh, hadith, quraan, etc, or if u prefer academics theres many vocational colleges and training centers. The american open univeersity is available in Jeddah and currently being developed here in Makkah.
Is it very expensive though? On average.

Other means being you can seek a saudi for sponsorship, or simply make a deal with the company u worked for to keep u under their sponsorship.
So I can ask them to sponsor me until I die even if I dont work for them no more?

Whats wrong is shes only giving u it as SHE sees it, very opinionated and unfactual and not the way it is generally.
Wa Alaykum Salam sister,

I meant before what was wrong with that particular quote, and she has said if I am not mistaken that she is only giving her experience view, everyone understands that insha'Allah, some people may have bad others have good experiences.

Mercedes
04-19-2008, 06:35 PM

Well to be honest brother, If i went by Crayon's account of what life in KSA is like , i wouldnt be too motivated to ever move here, i would be rather put off :)

Umar001
04-19-2008, 06:37 PM
Ok, but I would have thought people would understand that different people have different experiences sister, and the more readin you do the more you see how nice t can be there and that it is not all bad, specially compared to other places/ Alhamdulillah,

Mercedes
04-19-2008, 06:54 PM

I know that Akhi, but when someone asks for advice u have to be unbiased regardless of your experience and tell it the way it is and not only the way it happened to you. Remember this isnt just any other country we r discussing, this the land of islam regardless of its faults (by cause of man's hand) and the home of the Rasul (peace and blessings be upon him). :)

Umar001
04-19-2008, 06:58 PM

I know that Akhi, but when someone asks for advice u have to be unbiased regardless of your experience and tell it the way it is and not only the way it happened to you. Remember this isnt just any other country we r discussing, this the land of islam regardless of its faults (by cause of man's hand) and the home of the Rasul (peace and blessings be upon him). :)
Wa Alaykum Salaam,

I understand I didnt think it had been shown to be that bad, SO everyone is advised to read further stuff and not just this thread

Anyhow:

Is it very expensive though? On average.

So I can ask them to sponsor me until I die even if I dont work for them no more?

Wa Alaykum Salam sister,

I meant before what was wrong with that particular quote, and she has said if I am not mistaken that she is only giving her experience view, everyone understands that insha'Allah, some people may have bad others have good experiences.

pauper
04-20-2008, 05:34 AM

Brother she is a 16 year old who is a rebellious teen ager who cant have fun :D , Its a very big country as well and she is living in Riyadh , she is talking about The Capital City of the Kingdom and generalizing without knowledge of most she is talking of .

I think When U come here you will have a clearer picture inshallah like sister Mercedes explained it very clearly .

I think Sister crayon needs to live in the west to be happy .

Umar001
04-20-2008, 10:54 AM
Oh man, ok, yall give your views too as honestly as possible.

crayon
04-20-2008, 01:39 PM
I rest me case , crayon seriously you are not giving the people here the correct impression of the country , you talking about it everything negative and nothing positive .

Why dont you tell us how nice it is in syria under Assads rule ? in another thread off course .
:?
All rightie then.
For the record, I dislike bashar al assad and syrian politics disgust me.
But being a "rebellious teenager", I wouldn't know much, would I?
Jazaka Allahu Khair.

Sis mercedes- What other account of a place could I give if not based on my personal experiences and those around me? How can you tell someone what "it is like to live in a country" using facts? Yes, you can say it costs this much to do this, the procedures to do this are this, etc. but when you're going to say what it's like, that is an opinion, which each person responds to based on his or her own experiences. You said it was safe for you to walk in the streets alone, is that not an opinion? You work comfortably with the aid of a chauffer, women are safe here. All of those are opinions based on your experience.

In the time of the prophet peace be upon him there was no "saudi arabia". there was arabia which included saudi arabia and several other countries that exist today. Makkah and madinah are the cities of the prophet, the rest of saudi arabi could well have been a part of the UAE or kuwait.

Also, are you 100% sure that non saudis are allowed to attend public schools? I was definite they weren't.. they were until a couple of years ago, and they recently stopped admitting them to them.

Jazaki Allahu Khair.

Umar001
04-20-2008, 01:55 PM
So, if they cant attend public school I will have to pay for schooling myself?

crayon
04-20-2008, 02:03 PM
If they are indeed allowed into public schools, they would be free, if not, however, you would have to enroll them in a private school, and pay for it yourself.

A lot of the times school tuition is included in the business contract, though, so you might not have to worry about it anyway, inshallah.

Umar001
04-20-2008, 02:18 PM
If they are indeed allowed into public schools, they would be free, if not, however, you would have to enroll them in a private school, and pay for it yourself.

A lot of the times school tuition is included in the business contract, though, so you might not have to worry about it anyway, inshallah.
Ok, so say for example, that I could not afford the schooling, then they wouldn't have to go school right?

crayon
04-20-2008, 02:25 PM
I assume so, but I have no knowledge of that. Home schooling is an option though, it's quite prevalent here compared to other countries.

crayon
04-20-2008, 02:33 PM
"In Saudi Arabia a student may leave school when permission of his legal custodians (parents) is given, if not the student must complete school until the age of 18"

It says that on wiki... But does that mean if a parent doesn't want to put their children in school at all they don't have to?:?

Umar001
04-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Wow, someone told me an iqama costs alot but I cant find anything online about that, is that true?

crayon
04-20-2008, 02:37 PM
Hey, I just asked my parents, and they also said non saudis are not allowed into public schools. However, they think there's this program where non saudis can pay a small fee and take class at night in public schools.

I'll try to ask about that, not sure myself.

Hasanah
04-20-2008, 03:06 PM
Wow, someone told me an iqama costs alot but I cant find anything online about that, is that true?
yes! 500 riyals every year.

crayon
04-20-2008, 03:06 PM
My dad said your company usually pays for the iqama and all the procedures, but here's what I found online. linkyyy

It says it costs 500, doesn't say what the unit is, but I assume it's riyals, which isn't a lot of money. About 67 pounds.The site isn't very clear though..

edit- that's the cost of making a new one, and it's 500 for renewing an expired one. I'm not sure how soon it expires, though.

Umar001
04-20-2008, 03:10 PM
Boy I thought the Uk had loads of paper work. Thanks for the information.

EDIT: What would yall say the average pay rate is there? And I sawa website with the average spending, i.e. how much you need to survive but I dont know how old the site is, so how much you think Monthly for housing and food and basic stuff.

teen-omar
04-20-2008, 05:33 PM
sallamu 3aleikum
sister crayon, i wanted 2 ask u hw wud it b lyk if i wud want 2 go 2 saudi arabia, lyk mecca or madina 2 study islamic studies n qur'an n stuff
i'm 16 years old, soon becomin 17 n wat wud i hav 2 go through 2 get there?
will i also need a host?
jazakallahu khayran
wassalam

crayon
04-20-2008, 05:44 PM
Yup, it's the same process as Brother Habeshi, you need a job and sponsor, and need to figure out all the other stuff as well. Do you graduate this year or next year? Maybe you could do your university studies here? I might be mistaken, but I think they offer study visas, and for those I don't think you need a job or sponsor.

Brother Habeshi- Are you talking about just the salary, or the benefits as well? I'm not very knowledgeable about the working world though, maybe sis mercedes or brother pauper could answer those questions.

pauper
04-20-2008, 05:48 PM
:?
All rightie then.
For the record, I dislike bashar al assad and syrian politics disgust me.
But being a "rebellious teenager", I wouldn't know much, would I?
Jazaka Allahu Khair.

Sis mercedes- What other account of a place could I give if not based on my personal experiences and those around me? How can you tell someone what "it is like to live in a country" using facts? Yes, you can say it costs this much to do this, the procedures to do this are this, etc. but when you're going to say what it's like, that is an opinion, which each person responds to based on his or her own experiences. You said it was safe for you to walk in the streets alone, is that not an opinion? You work comfortably with the aid of a chauffer, women are safe here. All of those are opinions based on your experience.

In the time of the prophet peace be upon him there was no "saudi arabia". there was arabia which included saudi arabia and several other countries that exist today. Makkah and madinah are the cities of the prophet, the rest of saudi arabi could well have been a part of the UAE or kuwait.

Also, are you 100% sure that non saudis are allowed to attend public schools? I was definite they weren't.. they were until a couple of years ago, and they recently stopped admitting them to them.

Jazaki Allahu Khair.

Well If thats the case then talk about Them and not about the people and land where u are filling your pockets and eating from and breathing in , thats Ungratefulness .

Allah SWT has put the holy places in the hands of Saudi arabia and Alhamdulilah saudi Arabia doesnt need anyones approval where that is concerned , the Whole Muslim world knows what this country does to serve the Hujaaj and Ummarah people throughout the year .

Saudi schools are for both saudis and Foriegners please get your facts straight , but many foriegners prefer to keep their children in private schools for one reason or the other , and Saudis as well .

teen-omar
04-20-2008, 05:52 PM
sallam
sis crayon, i'm at ma 1st year of college, n next year i'll inshallah b finished
i was finkin of doin lyk da university in saudi
not specifically lukin 4 a job yet, just 4 da studies
wassalam

Umar001
04-20-2008, 05:58 PM
Brother Habeshi- Are you talking about just the salary, or the benefits as well? I'm not very knowledgeable about the working world though, maybe sis mercedes or brother pauper could answer those questions.
I just ment in general sis how much do you pay for stuff monthly, although you dont work maybe you know how much the shoppin comes upto roughly? And the housing and the schooling? And transport?

crayon
04-20-2008, 06:07 PM
We're a family of 5, and we roughly pay about 500-600 riyals a week for grocery. Schooling is 20000 a year for someone my age (grade 11).. I'm not sure about housing or transport.. You can get a second hand car, but it's gas that will mainly cost you in that department.

Umar001
04-20-2008, 06:08 PM
thanks

Al-Hanbali
04-20-2008, 06:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by teen-omar
sallam
sis crayon, i'm at ma 1st year of college, n next year i'll inshallah b finished
i was finkin of doin lyk da university in saudi
not specifically lukin 4 a job yet, just 4 da studies
wassalam
:wasalamex:

Check this link bro: http://bakkah.net/studying-islam-sau...iversities.htm

teen-omar
04-20-2008, 06:15 PM
barakallahu feek akhi saifur-rahmaan
i'm looking at it right now and bookmarkin it 4 lata
wassalam

Umar001
04-20-2008, 06:17 PM
So what are the average wages, thats the next question I have, for normal people there.

Mercedes
04-20-2008, 06:20 PM

Non-Saudis can only go to the Islamic part of the gov't universities ie. arabic language, shariah, fiqh, hadith, qura'aan. they r not permitted to study academics here. There are foreign universities where u pay to study just like America or Canada.

Sis why do u pay 20,000 a year for schooling? people under residence are permitted to go to govt schools until they finish high school.

GAS????crayon are you insane ?????? we are in the land of oil where a monthly electricity bill i like $10 USD and you can fill a Camry's gas tank with $5 USD. ROFL.

Umar001
04-20-2008, 06:23 PM

Non-Saudis can only go to the Islamic part of the gov't universities ie. arabic language, shariah, fiqh, hadith, qura'aan. they r not permitted to study academics here. There are foreign universities where u pay to study just like America or Canada.

Sis why do u pay 20,000 a year for schooling? people under residence are permitted to go to govt schools until they finish high school.

GAS????crayon are you insane ?????? we are in the land of oil where a monthly electricity bill i like $10 USD and you can fill a Camry's gas tank with $5 USD. ROFL.
Wa Alaykum Salaam,

So non Saudi kids can go to school for free until high school, what age is that?

Mercedes
04-20-2008, 06:41 PM

until they finish high school, theres no age limit. i know someone who finished at 24 here :) believe it or not.

If you take a scholarship at the islamic uni, they pay your travel expense and boarding and ticket home every year + visa + monthly stipend of 1000-3000 riyals depending on what ur studying.

Umar001
04-20-2008, 06:50 PM
Wa Alaykum Salam, so if I have kids then insha'Allah I'd be able to enroll them in a normal school until they finish.

Mercedes
04-20-2008, 06:52 PM

Yes. why are we repeating ourselves? :) i have 2 kids in normal schools here.

Umar001
04-20-2008, 06:55 PM
Wa Alaykum Salaam, sorry im in disbelief, lol.

So then even if I have a not so good job I can still send them to school, mashaAllah. MashaAllah.

From what I have seen in videos of Jeddah it looks very modern? Is it?

Mercedes
04-20-2008, 07:01 PM

well i must admit the architecture here is amazing and yes the cities r quite developed and modern. Jeddah is a slightly more open atmosphere than makkah and madeenah.

Umar001
04-20-2008, 07:02 PM
Wa Alaykum Salam,

I have read that some choose not to drive but just have chaufers, even men, is that true? I also heard that there are alot of accidents?

Mercedes
04-20-2008, 07:19 PM

Yeah thats right, mostly women use chauffeurs, but sometimes u find men who choose to as well.

Yeah, the roads r pretty crazy here. Theres a joke that goes around "camels never had mirrors! " :) the have toughened the laws, if you are caught speeding its a 1,000 riyals fine and a night in jail. but as far as road courtesy goes, blame it on the people, not the country.

Umar001
04-20-2008, 07:34 PM
Overall do you think life is good there then? Given everything?

Pk_#2
04-20-2008, 07:50 PM

Yeah thats right, mostly women use chauffeurs, but sometimes u find men who choose to as well.

Yeah, the roads r pretty crazy here. Theres a joke that goes around "camels never had mirrors! " :) the have toughened the laws, if you are caught speeding its a 1,000 riyals fine and a night in jail. but as far as road courtesy goes, blame it on the people, not the country.
You're so cool sis, honest. :blind: Saudi sounds so much nicer now that you've said all this,

AsalamuAlaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh.

Mercedes
04-20-2008, 09:03 PM

Well bro habeshi, im a single mom living here with 3 kids the last 5 years and alhamdulillah, whenever i travel to the west, my heart aches to be back in Makkah. The west no longer feels like home. Of course there are the negative aspects of living here, but i think the good outweighs the bad. whenever we do something for the sake of allah, such as moving to a Muslim country, we have to expect tests and trials in one way or another.

Despite all my family being in the west and the much easier life over there, i would find it very hard to leave here and dont really want to. I think i might just move to Madeenah one day though :)

Umar001
04-20-2008, 09:11 PM

Well bro habeshi, im a single mom living here with 3 kids the last 5 years and alhamdulillah, whenever i travel to the west, my heart aches to be back in Makkah. The west no longer feels like home. Of course there are the negative aspects of living here, but i think the good outweighs the bad. whenever we do something for the sake of allah, such as moving to a Muslim country, we have to expect tests and trials in one way or another.

Despite all my family being in the west and the much easier life over there, i would find it very hard to leave here and dont really want to. I think i might just move to Madeenah one day though :)
Wa Alaykum Salaam,

when you say "Of course there are the negative aspects of living here," like what? Cos otherwise my imagination will run wild with different things.

Also, "the much easier life over there" what parts would you say are easier?

Mercedes
04-20-2008, 09:22 PM

the driving etiquettes, not being able to study academics in the university, its hot here, hajj/umrah crowds in ramadaan and hajj, missing ur family/friends in another country and ur way of life in another country, adapting to new customs and expectations (saudis are nonstop tea/coffee drinkers, bring a gift when visiting, segregation, etc), no public transportation such as a subway or bus system (they use taxis)..... shops closing for salaat and opening late in the night, Ramadaan day turns to night and night turns to day, hajj traffic is crazy......i'll post when i remember, but i dont see these as too bad to deal with.

Noora_z3
04-20-2008, 09:22 PM
[

Yes non-saudies can attend public schools...i am 100% sure.

Sis Crayon, a littel more objectivity will be appreciated...:)

Umar001
04-20-2008, 09:24 PM

the driving etiquettes, not being able to study academics in the university, its hot here, hajj/umrah crowds in ramadaan and hajj, missing ur family/friends in another country and ur way of life in another country, adapting to new customs and expectations (saudis are nonstop tea/coffee drinkers, bring a gift when visiting, segregation, etc), no public transportation such as a subway or bus system (they use taxis)..... shops closing for salaat and opening late in the night, Ramadaan day turns to night and night turns to day, hajj traffic is crazy......i'll post when i remember, but i dont see these as too bad to deal with.
Wa Alaykum Salaam,

Wow not so bad at all masha'Allah.

Oh man I cant wait to move out there insha'Allah, please make du'a for me to be in Saudi please sister specially when you are at the haram

format_quote Originally Posted by Noora_z3
Yes non-saudies can attend public schools...i am 100% sure.
For free?

Mercedes
04-20-2008, 09:32 PM

Also, "the much easier life over there" what parts would you say are easier?
for men its pretty much the same, but for women first of all we cant drive, not many jobs available, not many places to take our kids to play like parks and community events and things. There are recreation facilites but a bit more expensive than the west, the internet is much slower............ :)

Umar001
04-20-2008, 09:38 PM

for men its pretty much the same, but for women first of all we cant drive, not many jobs available, not many places to take our kids to play like parks and community events and things. There are recreation facilites but a bit more expensive than the west, the internet is much slower............ :)
Wa Alaykum Salaam Wa Rahmatullah,

Oh I see, so how do you survive if you dont mind me asking?

Mercedes
04-20-2008, 09:49 PM

I'm a teacher here. i have a chauffeur or just use taxis if need be. I take my kids out at whatever facilities there r such as amusement parks, the Red Sea in jeddah, pretty much where ever i go.

job availablilities for women used to be limited to schools and hospitals, and is still mostly in those sectors. About 2 years ago they started opening up jobs to women in Sales, reception for large companies, accounting, IT fields. Countries like indonesia and sri lanka usually provide domestic workers (Nannies, maids) to the kingdom. Malaysia and the Philipines usually provide Nurses. About 60% of the saudi work force is foreign.

People assume women cant move around here without a mahram, but thats very untrue. She can take care of anything she needs to on her own, going to the bank, doctor,work etc. Saudi women are not permitted to travel outside the country without a mahram. Foreign women are allowed to.

Umar001
04-20-2008, 09:53 PM
Wow so you manage to survive on your wages, but you have a package, like where you get certain things from the employer on top of your wages right?

Masha'Allah, sounds amazing.

But how come you are allowed to be with a non mahram like the driver? Does the police say anything?

Noora_z3
04-20-2008, 09:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by teen-omar
sallamu 3aleikum
sister crayon, i wanted 2 ask u hw wud it b lyk if i wud want 2 go 2 saudi arabia, lyk mecca or madina 2 study islamic studies n qur'an n stuff
i'm 16 years old, soon becomin 17 n wat wud i hav 2 go through 2 get there?
will i also need a host?
jazakallahu khayran
wassalam
You can apply to Madinah University and Umm Al-Qura University for Islamic studies, check their websites, if you they accept you, then they issue a stuent visa for you so you dont have to worry about it.

Noora_z3
04-20-2008, 10:09 PM
Salam Alykum

Oh eayh public eduationa is free, see bro, if a certain school didnt accept a forign kid its not because they stopped accepting non-saudies but because there are no available seats.

I am in indian, I was born in Saudi, Dammam more specificlly, I lived here untill I was 18, then went to malaysia and lived there for 5 years, came back and got married, my husband works in damma so we are still in Saudi.

I agree with sister Mercedes in everything she said. Its a safe country, am I saying 100% safe?, of course not, but it has low crime rate compared to other countires. I cant count the times I used the taxis and thanks Allah so far nothin happend. I go to resturents alone to meet my freinds and never once policeman stopped me asking for a mahram. I also travelled to Malaysia alone and never been questioned.

There are lots of Dawah centers in every city, they are DESPERET to get some volunteers for dawah work, unfortunatly, peaple prefer to stay home and complain that there is nothing to in saudi.

The peaple here (not the goverment) are SO nice, I lived among them and they treated me as like one of them, they have their own short comings, yet, they are so unique. Rents are considered the cheapest compared to other gulf countires, overall one can do lots of saving living here and thats why THOUSANDS of non-saudis live here. Life here is much cheaper than life in the UK.

Muslims environment is great, yes there are some peaple who drink and commit adultary, even at Prophets time there were muslims who used to drink despite the prohibition, but its not done in public.

Noora_z3
04-20-2008, 10:14 PM
Wow so you manage to survive on your wages, but you have a package, like where you get certain things from the employer on top of your wages right?

Masha'Allah, sounds amazing.

But how come you are allowed to be with a non mahram like the driver? Does the police say anything?
Yes there are packages, diffrent companies offer diffrent packages, the company paies for one vacation every year (includes the parents and 2 kids), the rent, hospital bills (of the parents and 2 kids), lots of companies also give their staff cars and pay for the gas as well (well you never have to worry about the gas, its SO SO cheap).

Umar001
04-21-2008, 10:10 AM
Salam Alykum
I am in indian, I was born in Saudi, Dammam more specificlly, I lived here untill I was 18, then went to malaysia and lived there for 5 years, came back and got married, my husband works in damma so we are still in Saudi.
Wa Alaykum Salaam,

Was it easy to get into the country when you came back?

Mercedes
04-21-2008, 11:21 AM

It is easy as long as u have ur re-rentry visa stamped on ur passport which is done before u leave here and as long as ur not bringing in any illegal things (drugs, pornography, alcohol).

Ersan
04-21-2008, 11:23 AM
"Why do they ban people from openly practicing a religion other than islam? Why do they ban churches and synagogues from being built?"

Cuz it is the part od the Shariah :) it can never be alowed to build kyafir temples where can kufr openly be propagated, but it's also haram to destroy those that are already built before islam got there. And there shoudn't be any kyafirs in arabic peninsula at all, but the let them be there, wich is bad...

Umar001
04-21-2008, 11:31 AM

It is easy as long as u have ur re-rentry visa stamped on ur passport which is done before u leave here and as long as ur not bringing in any illegal things (drugs, pornography, alcohol).
Wa Alaykum Salam,

But, in order to have a re-entry visa you should have sponsor who does that?

Mercedes
04-21-2008, 11:36 AM

Yes, in this sister's case she probably returned with her husband under his work visa.

Umar001
04-21-2008, 11:38 AM

Yes, in this sister's case she probably returned with her husband under his work visa.
Wa Alaykum Salam,

Na'am that's what I had assumed.

What's teaching English there like? Easy/Hard normal relaxed stressful?

crayon
04-21-2008, 11:41 AM

I go to an international school because my arabic isn't strong enough for me to take all subjects in arabic.

And you're right, I checked today, and foreigners are allowed into public schools.

Sorry to disappoint you, but no, I'm not insane. Bro Habeshi was asking about living expenses, I said he would need to take into account the cost of gas when he is calculating how much he needs to spend. How is that insane?

Umar001
04-21-2008, 12:35 PM
Thanks sis crayon,

By the way am being told that an iqama cost thousands of pounds?

crayon
04-21-2008, 12:48 PM
Woah, I doubt it would cost that much... On that link I found it says it costs 500 riyals, unless it's out of date or something.

Umar001
04-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Woah, I doubt it would cost that much... On that link I found it says it costs 500 riyals, unless it's out of date or something.
Thats what I was thinking, it must be something else I guess. Insha'Allah I hope to make it to Saudi.

crayon
04-21-2008, 12:59 PM
Inshallah Allah grants you what you want and what is good for you in both this life and the next. Have you prayed istikharah? If you definitely decide to come here, when will you come? Talked to the family friend and sorted things out? Sorry if I'm being nosy, I just want to see how this plays out inshallah. :]

Umar001
04-21-2008, 01:07 PM
Inshallah Allah grants you what you want and what is good for you in both this life and the next. Have you prayed istikharah?
Insha'Allah I'm going to pray it.

If you definitely decide to come here, when will you come?
I really want to come asap, but it depends, I think I need to finish my degree, if I start one in september, so at least 3 years if I do that, plus on top of that a year probably to pay the fees, so 4 years if I go through that, but if I go without it then insha'Allah a year or so.

Talked to the family friend and sorted things out?
I spoke briefly, me and him are going to meet in my home country this summer since we are both going there and he told me he'll bring me the info/papers I need.

Sorry if I'm being nosy, I just want to see how this plays out inshallah. :]
No worries, insha'Allah I'll keep you updated.

I really want to go now, but I have to think about the long term, being able to try stay there as much as I can, meaning I need to have a solid foundation insha'Allah, so that I'm employable and so forth.

Umar001
04-21-2008, 01:33 PM
Also is it true that the police dont have uniforms?

Umar001
04-21-2008, 03:12 PM
Salaam Alaykum,
Can anyone confirm this, to apply for a work visa (im guessing from the WEST) you must have a degree

crayon
04-21-2008, 03:41 PM
No, the police do wear uniforms. The religious police usually don't, but you can tell from the way they are dressed, and they usually have uniformed police men accompanying them.

I'm afraid I don't know about the visa.

Khalisah
04-21-2008, 11:06 PM

I'm a teacher here. i have a chauffeur or just use taxis if need be. I take my kids out at whatever facilities there r such as amusement parks, the Red Sea in jeddah, pretty much where ever i go.

job availablilities for women used to be limited to schools and hospitals, and is still mostly in those sectors. About 2 years ago they started opening up jobs to women in Sales, reception for large companies, accounting, IT fields.
:sl: sister,
I was jst wondering..cos Im just finishing my degree in biology, what other qualifications could I get to try and help me get a job in Saudi, as a teacher or even anything within the Science field?
Thank you

Umar001
04-22-2008, 01:28 PM
No, the police do wear uniforms. The religious police usually don't, but you can tell from the way they are dressed, and they usually have uniformed police men accompanying them.

I'm afraid I don't know about the visa.
How do they dress? What's it like there right now sis?

crayon
04-22-2008, 04:47 PM
They usually just wear a thobe and the brown or black thing (not sure what it's called) on top of it (most people just wear the thobe, unless it's a special occasion), and the head dress as well. Not very extraordinary, but they have a sort of vibe about them where you can just sort of tell they are muttawia, especially when they are with the guards/police men.

What's it like here right now? In what way do you mean?

Mercedes
04-22-2008, 05:04 PM

The mutawwa'in are the religious police, not the same as the standard traffic/crime/law police. Police officers are dressed in brown, and the religious police wear White thobes and the red/white checkered shumagh, and are heavily bearded.

As for there status now in society, their power has been cut a bit due to them absuing their position and apprehending and issuing unjust and undue punishments. they have been the cause of a few recent deaths at their hands, and are being held accountable. their presence in society is is debatable. some people feel they should be there to uphold islamic values such as making sure women are properly covered, salaat times are adhered to, magic, gambling, etc are not present in socity, etc. Others feel they poke around too much in people's lives telling them what to do and not to do. whichever way, their islamic ideology is extreme and based solely on ******ism/salafiism.

Umar001
04-23-2008, 11:57 AM
Wa Alaykum salam sis,

Thanks sis

What's it like here right now? In what way do you mean? << Sis I mean like day to day life, was is a day like out there? Wht typa things happen what do ya do like school starts..work...etc.

crayon
04-23-2008, 12:43 PM
Okay, this is how it goes. I wake up around 6:15, get dressed, and then my school bus comes and picks me up. The school day starts at 7:30. We have 2 breaks, one of them is during the time of salat al dhur, so we can pray then. School ends at 1:40, the school bus takes me home. I eat, go online for a bit, pray asr. Start any homework or studying I have to do. Read, watch tv, memorize quran, etc. when I'm done with that. Go to bed around 10. That's on weekdays.

Thursday morning I have a quran lesson from 9:30-1:30. When I come home I do any homework/studying I have. Then watch tv, read, go online until lunch time, about 2 or 3. We (my family and I) go to a restaurant to eat, then go grocery shopping. Friday is usually at home.

Occasionally I go over to my friend's houses, or they come over to mine. We sometimes meet at restaurants, or go to an amusement park here (there's 2 small ones). Sometimes shopping with my mom or my friends... That's basically it. Repeat that until summer, which I look forward to every year, and you've got my life.

Hope that was what you were looking for..

Umar001
04-23-2008, 04:33 PM
Okay, this is how it goes. I wake up around 6:15, get dressed, and then my school bus comes and picks me up. The school day starts at 7:30. We have 2 breaks, one of them is during the time of salat al dhur, so we can pray then. School ends at 1:40, the school bus takes me home. I eat, go online for a bit, pray asr. Start any homework or studying I have to do. Read, watch tv, memorize quran, etc. when I'm done with that. Go to bed around 10. That's on weekdays.

Thursday morning I have a quran lesson from 9:30-1:30. When I come home I do any homework/studying I have. Then watch tv, read, go online until lunch time, about 2 or 3. We (my family and I) go to a restaurant to eat, then go grocery shopping. Friday is usually at home.

Occasionally I go over to my friend's houses, or they come over to mine. We sometimes meet at restaurants, or go to an amusement park here (there's 2 small ones). Sometimes shopping with my mom or my friends... That's basically it. Repeat that until summer, which I look forward to every year, and you've got my life.

Hope that was what you were looking for..
Sounds ultra cool masha'Allah. What days do the schools normally have as week days?

crayon
04-23-2008, 05:27 PM
The start of the week is saturday, and the weekend is thursday and friday. This is for everyone, be it schools, public companies, private companies, etc.

Umar001
04-23-2008, 06:25 PM
The start of the week is saturday, and the weekend is thursday and friday. This is for everyone, be it schools, public companies, private companies, etc.
You see in resturants, I have read that there is a male section, female section and family section? Right?

crayon
04-23-2008, 06:32 PM
Yup, both restaurants and fast food joints. There's a singles section for men, and a family section for women and families.

Umar001
04-23-2008, 08:11 PM
Yup, both restaurants and fast food joints. There's a singles section for men, and a family section for women and families.
But not an area for single females? Like if a group of sisters are out together they'd seat in the family section?

Also does stoning take place?

crayon
04-24-2008, 08:47 AM
Nope, the single females are seated in the family section.
Also, in the family section, there are booths with curtains or doors or other similar barriers so that families/women can have their privacy.

I'm not sure about whether stoning takes place here or not.

Umar001
04-24-2008, 09:51 AM
Do you have to wear niqab?

crayon
04-24-2008, 12:12 PM
No, you don't. A lot of people don't cover their hair either, unless a muttawia sees them and tells them to cover, but their presence has decreased in the past years. Everyone has to wear an abaya though.

Umar001
04-24-2008, 12:45 PM
No, you don't. A lot of people don't cover their hair either, unless a muttawia sees them and tells them to cover, but their presence has decreased in the past years. Everyone has to wear an abaya though.
:muddlehea Serious? Wow. So I mean people walk around without the hair covered and then the police sees them and tells them to cover, oh ok.

You ever lived in a complex, like the, what is it that they call them, the like foreign housing things, you know what I mean?

crayon
04-24-2008, 12:55 PM
Do you mean a compound? Yeah, I live in one. When I lived here for a year before I also lived in one.

Khalisah
04-24-2008, 01:01 PM
Whats living in a compound like?...And would you have to find a 'compound' yourself(don't know how to word that sentence)? Or is it somethng which is allocated by the company/employer?
Thank you

Umar001
04-24-2008, 01:04 PM
Do you mean a compound? Yeah, I live in one. When I lived here for a year before I also lived in one.
What is it like?

crayon
04-24-2008, 01:22 PM
It depends on the type of compound, there are small ones and big ones. The one I live in now is small, before I used to live in a big one. Some companies have all their employees live in a certain compound, or have several that you can choose from. Some compounds are only open to employees of a certain company, some are free for anyone who wants to live there. They're generally quite expensive, though, so usually only people whose company pays for housing will live in one.

Here's of the description of the compounds I've lived in.

Small compound (currently live here)- it has a tennis court, 2 pools, basketball hoop, squash court, gym, little grocery shop, barber shop, a rec room, small playground with swings, slide, etc, and a childrens play room. there's a shopping bus with a regular schedule. you don't have to wear an abaya or hijab in the compound.

big compound (used to live here)- 4 tennis courts, 4 basketball/volleyball/multipurpose courts (2 indoor 2 outdoor), a movie theater, huge pool, 2 smaller ones, a big grocery shop, huge rec room, childrens day care, loads of parks, etc. Also a shopping bus, school transport. They usually have events such as weekly poolside bbq's, valentines and halloween parties, fairs, crafts sales, etc.

Big compounds are quite far from the rest of the city though, and usually have a lot more security than smaller ones. They're like a little city while small compounds are just a collection of villas with shared facilities. The current compound I live in has about 50 houses, the one I used to live in had about 300.

Umar001
04-24-2008, 01:35 PM
Does it interfere with friendships, like if you go school and stuff, is it then hard to have friends from outside the compound and vice versa?

crayon
04-24-2008, 01:44 PM
If your school friends live in the same compound you do, then it's perfect. Personally, my friends in school don't live in my compound. Also, since it's not a very big compound, there aren't many kids my age, so I don't go out much. My little brother however, who is in the 6th grade, has tons of friends in the compound. He's always out playing soccer, basketball, tennis, and just playing in general with them. And he also has his school friends who come over (they're actually here right now, what a coincidence lol), and they all go out and play in the compound, sometimes just them, sometimes with my brother's compound friends as well.

Umar001
04-24-2008, 01:47 PM
If your school friends live in the same compound you do, then it's perfect. Personally, my friends in school don't live in my compound. Also, since it's not a very big compound, there aren't many kids my age, so I don't go out much. My little brother however, who is in the 6th grade, has tons of friends in the compound. He's always out playing soccer, basketball, tennis, and just playing in general with them. And he also has his school friends who come over (they're actually here right now, what a coincidence lol), and they all go out and play in the compound, sometimes just them, sometimes with my brother's compound friends as well.
So can people come in and out of the compound as they wish like if you wanna invite people over?

crayon
04-24-2008, 01:56 PM
Yes. Like I said, in smaller compounds there is less security so anyone who wants to come over is just let in. In larger compounds, the visitor needs to provide ID, their car can't enter the compound, if it can it has to be thoroughly checked, etc.

Umar001
04-24-2008, 02:00 PM
Masha Allah, sounds aite.

Mercedes
04-24-2008, 04:19 PM

Generally they dont let most saudis into the compounds due to the western culture and influence such as the movie theatre, parties and celebrations of non-muslim holidays, may be presence of alcohol and free-mixing, and having to put up with non-muslim culture and habits.

It's better to live along-side the mainstream society of KSA of u want to learn the language and assimilate, if ur gonna be stuck in a foreigners compound, u may as well have stayed in America or Canada or where ever you are coming from. in Makkah and Madeenah there are no such compounds, cuz non-muslims are not permitted in these two cities anyways.

Umar001
04-24-2008, 04:26 PM

Generally they dont let most saudis into the compounds due to the western culture and influence such as the movie theatre, parties and celebrations of non-muslim holidays, may be presence of alcohol and free-mixing, and having to put up with non-muslim culture and habits.

It's better to live along-side the mainstream society of KSA of u want to learn the language and assimilate, if ur gonna be stuck in a foreigners compound, u may as well have stayed in America or Canada or where ever you are coming from. in Makkah and Madeenah there are no such compounds, cuz non-muslims are not permitted in these two cities anyways.
Wa Alaykum Salam,

So sister, if one wishes, when they get the housing allowance they can rent a different place out, which is not a compound, but rather a place with Muslims and natives of the land there?

Also the da'wah centers, someone mentioned they are always looking for volounteers what type of stuff do they need volounteers for?

Mercedes
04-24-2008, 04:39 PM

There's training required which they provide before u r involved in any da3wah activities.

Whether you have to stay in the compound or if you are allowed out depends on the company sponsoring you, but alot of people choose to live outside at their own expense.

Umar001
04-24-2008, 04:42 PM

There's training required which they provide before u r involved in any da3wah activities.

Whether you have to stay in the compound or if you are allowed out depends on the company sponsoring you, but alot of people choose to live outside at their own expense.
Wa Alaykum Salam,

But what type of da'wah stuff do they do, like here there are da'wah stools and so forth and university interfaith weeks, but I mean, what type of da'wah do they do? Like go to foreign work places and give leaflets?

islamirama
04-24-2008, 05:36 PM
Does one need to be sponsored to migrate to saudi? also, these companies that sponsor you? are you stuck with them or can you change companies and jobs like in the west?

Umar001
04-24-2008, 05:49 PM
http://www.justlanded.com/english/Sa...t-Landed-Guide

*mu'min*
04-24-2008, 09:46 PM
jazakallah a khayran for sharing ur experinces mercedes n crayon.

inshallah i make hijra few of the reasons/motivation would be:

its the land of our prophet pbuh,
the two blessed cities,
so many masaajid,
weekend being on the mubarak day of juma,
gender seregation,
hearing the azan times a day.

Umar001
04-24-2008, 10:02 PM
Anyone know about driving license for men? If an individual has a British one does he still have to take a test..etc..

Noora_z3
04-25-2008, 09:48 PM
Wa Alaykum Salam,

So sister, if one wishes, when they get the housing allowance they can rent a different place out, which is not a compound, but rather a place with Muslims and natives of the land there?

Also the da'wah centers, someone mentioned they are always looking for volounteers what type of stuff do they need volounteers for?
Salam Bro,

There are Islamic centers that work among non-muslims, they are intrested in conducting all kind of programms for non-muslims, lectures, seminars, workshops, teaching Arabic, weekely lessons for NEWLY converts ( as one brother was telling me that becuse we dont care for the new converts and their issues many of them are converting back to their original religion, heart breaking I know) you name it..they have the money and they need ideas and peaple to implement it.

There is WAMY, World Assembely of Muslim Youth, they conducts programms for kids, teenagers, young adults, mostly for muslims, lectures, seminars, workshops, 2 days camp, teaching Arabic all sort of programms, they have so much money by Allah's grace (because since US restricted sending charity money outside of saudi to needy countris, saudi peaple are donating to their local centers, and these centers have to use the money within Saudi)

My son is crying I got to go...ask more if you have any more questions.

Umar001
04-25-2008, 09:52 PM
Salam Bro,

There are Islamic centers that work among non-muslims, they are intrested in conducting all kind of programms for non-muslims, lectures, seminars, workshops, teaching Arabic, weekely lessons for NEWLY converts ( as one brother was telling me that becuse we dont care for the new converts and their issues many of them are converting back to their original religion, heart breaking I know) you name it..they have the money and they need ideas and peaple to implement it.
Wa Alaykum Salam.

MashaAllah sounds excellent! Do they author books on Christianity?

MinAhlilHadeeth
04-28-2008, 04:43 PM

Here is a blog, which is authored by a white Canadian revert, who recently made Hijrah to KSA, the land of the Haramayn, with his family (he mentioned that he is married to a black sister):

http://canadianmuhaajir.wordpress.com/

I particularly enjoyed reading these two entries:

Meeting a Prince!

Why Make Hijrah to Saudi Arabia?

I hope you find the above blog useful, if you do not know of it already. It may help to give you an idea of what to expect.

Umar001
04-29-2008, 10:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Faizah

Here is a blog, which is authored by a white Canadian revert, who recently made Hijrah to KSA, the land of the Haramayn, with his family (he mentioned that he is married to a black sister):

http://canadianmuhaajir.wordpress.com/

I particularly enjoyed reading these two entries:

Meeting a Prince!

Why Make Hijrah to Saudi Arabia?

I hope you find the above blog useful, if you do not know of it already. It may help to give you an idea of what to expect.
Wa Alaykum Salam Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatu,

yes that blog is pretty interesting, his wife has a blog too. He mentioned racism and a couple of stories, I think he restored the balance for me when Ir ead his blogs.

I particularly like the 'How not to get shot in saudi..' lol.

But boy when you read his blogs (two blessings in one night..) you realise how important it owuld be to head to saudi, see scholars etc.

I've contacted him but I think he is busy, and Allah knows best. Thanks sis.

crayon
04-29-2008, 11:54 AM
"I particularly like the 'How not to get shot in saudi..' lol."

Haha, that reminds me of something.. I'm a photographer, right? Usually, I take my camera wherever I go, even if it's just to the supermarket or something. When I first got here, I took my camera out and started taking pictures from the car. My dad positively freaked out lol. He was like "are you crazy, you can't take pictures here!!". I just figured he was being over protective. Reading that makes me realize that he could have a point...

Umar001
04-29-2008, 11:58 AM
"I particularly like the 'How not to get shot in saudi..' lol."

Haha, that reminds me of something.. I'm a photographer, right? Usually, I take my camera wherever I go, even if it's just to the supermarket or something. When I first got here, I took my camera out and started taking pictures from the car. My dad positively freaked out lol. He was like "are you crazy, you can't take pictures here!!". I just figured he was being over protective. Reading that makes me realize that he could have a point...
Lol. See parents do know better, sometimes.

MashaAllah.

Can you ask your dad please, if someone from the west wants to come do they have to have a degree to get into the country? Even if they have found work already?

islamirama
04-29-2008, 01:52 PM
I found it interesting how he mentioned the arab's asking the black mother where is the mother of the white kids lol

crayon
04-29-2008, 04:40 PM
Lol. See parents do know better, sometimes.

MashaAllah.

Can you ask your dad please, if someone from the west wants to come do they have to have a degree to get into the country? Even if they have found work already?
Yes.... Sometimes..:D

"Can you ask your dad please, if someone from the west wants to come do they have to have a degree to get into the country? Even if they have found work already?"

Nope, they don't. Anyone coming into saudi has to meet the same requirements, and you have tons of people coming from south east asia without high school degrees, let alone university ones. All that's important is for you to have a job and sponsor.

islamirama
04-29-2008, 05:18 PM
Better the more education you have, the better job and more respect you will get in that society.

crayon
04-29-2008, 05:24 PM
Of course, that's a given in any society. But on whether you actually need a degree to come here, then that's a no.

Umar001
04-30-2008, 09:41 AM
Yes.... Sometimes..:D
lol

Nope, they don't. Anyone coming into saudi has to meet the same requirements, and you have tons of people coming from south east asia without high school degrees, let alone university ones. All that's important is for you to have a job and sponsor.
Did you ask or you knew already? And you have to show any qualificatiosn that got the job for you though, I thought I read taht somewhere?

crayon
04-30-2008, 09:48 AM
I knew already but I asked to make sure. All you need to have is a job, whatever got you the job doesn't matter. It's not like you have to submit a CV with the paperwork required for a visa..

Umar001
04-30-2008, 09:51 AM
I knew already but I asked to make sure. All you need to have is a job, whatever got you the job doesn't matter. It's not like you have to submit a CV with the paperwork required for a visa..
Yea check this:

http://www.mofa.gov.sa/Detail.asp?In...ewsItemID=1742

A letter of introduction about you from the employer/visa sponsor in Saudi Arabia

· An original copy of the employment contract signed by both the employer/visa sponsor and you.

· Copies of academic qualification certificates that have been used by you to obtain the employment, also authenticated by the Legalisation Office of the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office

Thats why I thought that.

crayon
04-30-2008, 09:56 AM
Ahh okay, my dad could be mistaken.
But for example, if you are employed with just a high school degree, then that's all you have to show, right? If you don't even need a degree for the job, then you don't have to show anything.
So if the job you are applying for needs a university degree, then you have to show that. But if not, then you wouldn't need it..right?

Sanobar
04-30-2008, 10:03 AM
edit *

Umar001
04-30-2008, 10:29 AM
Ahh okay, my dad could be mistaken.
But for example, if you are employed with just a high school degree, then that's all you have to show, right? If you don't even need a degree for the job, then you don't have to show anything.
So if the job you are applying for needs a university degree, then you have to show that. But if not, then you wouldn't need it..right?
Yea, I think that you are right, in the sense that both can be reconciled by saying that if you needa degree then you post all those qualifications and if you didnt need any for a job then you dont post anything.

But yea, thanks sister, if you can ask at school or anything that'd be a plus.

forever.muslima
04-30-2008, 10:57 AM
Salams

I've been to saudi and syria and of course saudi was better since the kabah is there and stuff but when it comes to living i'd prefer syria any day, much more peaceful, and safw and islamic.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.