/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Are Essential Oils halal to use?

nutty
04-17-2008, 09:17 PM
Assalamu alaikum everyone

I recently brought lavender and neroli essential oil and I was wondering if essential oil are halal, I was reading up on the subject and found that alcohol is one of its components amongst other things. The thing is the oil is extracted by steam distillation. SO this means that the alcohol is already in the oil, so does this make it haram.

My opioion is that it isn't because alcohol hasn't been added but it could be because alcohol is already in the oil. I don't know:?

Could someone with more knowledge help me out thanks

Jazak-allah khair

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
kirk
04-18-2008, 03:04 AM
I presume so long as you don't drink it it woud be fine

Fishermans_eye
04-18-2008, 06:20 AM
You can bath in alcohol without going against Islam. How do I know? Cause if it was haram this man would have not introduced it in to medicine. (disinfection)
Since he lived during the Abbasids, he created modern medicine as well. Like the stethoscope. (The thing doctors use even today to hear the lung and hearh beat.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Razi

Fishman
04-18-2008, 10:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishermans_eye
You can bath in alcohol without going against Islam. How do I know? Cause if it was haram this man would have not introduced it in to medicine. (disinfection)
Since he lived during the Abbasids, he created modern medicine as well. Like the stethoscope. (The thing doctors use even today to hear the lung and hearh beat.)
:sl:
From that article he doesn't really sound like much of a Muslim...
:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Snowflake
04-18-2008, 11:47 PM
I do not know of essential oils containing alcohol. These oils are called essential due to their purity. Alcohol is used as solvent when other methods are too harsh for extracting a delicate oil. The alcohol is then removed by the second distillation, leaving only the absolute.

Even if a product did contain alcohol it it permissable to use it. It is the consumption of it or anything related to it i.e. buying/selling etc, that is prohibited in Islam. Also don't be confused with impurity & impermissability. Alcohol itself is not najis (impure) since it is made from halal ingredients. Therefore its presence in skincare products does not make them haram.

Malaikah
04-19-2008, 01:32 AM

I'm pretty sure lavender oil is not for eating. :|

Lavender oil should never be taken internally.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavender_oil

So whats the problem? :?

Fishermans_eye
04-21-2008, 02:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
From that article he doesn't really sound like much of a Muslim...
You read the religion part? Just ignore it, he was a scientist. Even Christian scientists like Da Vinci talked like that. It's in their nature.

Malaikah
04-21-2008, 09:53 AM
If that article is correct, that man isn't even Muslim! Look how he arrogantly ridiculed the Quran!

I don't see how on earth what he did or did not do can be a proof of any kind. Only the actions of the Prophet are evidence in Islam, no one elses.

Fishermans_eye
04-21-2008, 08:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
If that article is correct, that man isn't even Muslim! Look how he arrogantly ridiculed the Quran!

I don't see how on earth what he did or did not do can be a proof of any kind. Only the actions of the Prophet are evidence in Islam, no one elses.
HE WAS A SCIENTIST! They are like that, ever heard of Islamic science? He is one of the main figures. It's not just Islam, take Darwin and Einstein.

Fishman
04-21-2008, 08:45 PM
HE WAS A SCIENTIST! They are like that, ever heard of Islamic science? He is one of the main figures. It's not just Islam, take Darwin and Einstein.
So what if he was a scientist? If you wanted to know how light would behave if it passed through a sheet of bent glass, then go ahead and ask him, but leave questions about Islamic rulings to the Ulema. They are the correct people to ask about such things. Not Al-Razi, not Avveroes, not us, not 'Question-Answer Islam' or some other website, not even Youtube.

And not all scientists are like that anyway. Ever heard of Ibn Khaldun? He was one of the greatest Islamic scientists, and he was mainly orthodox.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.