/* */

PDA

View Full Version : "Ask me about Islam" T-shirt

crayon
04-19-2008, 01:06 PM
So I was watching this program on tv the other day, and they were talking about the different kinds of da'wah. There was a story mentioned about a brother in the states who wore a t-shirt with the words "ask me about islam" written on the back. He would just be walking through the city, and people would stop him and ask him any questions they had. And it didn't even have to be to convince them that islam is the truth, just clearing up any misconceptions they had was great.

Personally, I loved the idea, and would definitely do it if I could. I don't know how keen my parents would be on the idea of me talking to random strangers, but it's for a good cause, I guess.

Would you ever wear a shirt like this?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muezzin
04-19-2008, 01:07 PM
I wouldn't wear one in a neighbourhood full of knife-wielding skinheads. I may be crazy, but I ain't that crazy.

crayon
04-19-2008, 01:11 PM
Haha, didn't even think of it like that... I guess that's what living in muslim countries for so long does to you..
Nahh, but in general it's not that bad, is it?...:skeleton:

Muezzin
04-19-2008, 01:17 PM
Not at all. It seems quite a good idea.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ali.
04-19-2008, 03:17 PM
Hmm...

Well, I'd probably wear one in a country/town I don't live in if I'd gained enough knowledge of Islam to take such a big step, because you know what people you know can be like if they saw in in public doing something they've never seen before:

"Ohmhgosh! I saw you yesterday heehee!"

Mikayeel
04-19-2008, 06:37 PM
Hmm I really don't know, in a city like cardiff were people are friendly!, I once seen dis guy who had a board saying ''Free hugs'' loool, So if he can do it! I can do it to!

FatimaAsSideqah
04-19-2008, 08:10 PM
As Salaam Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

Quite a good idea!

You are the best of people raised up, for you call to all that is right and righteous and you forbid the evil, and you believe in Allah. [Qur'an 3:110]

Also, keep in mind while talking with people and answering their questions, sometimes "questions" contain misinformation. We must qualify what it is that someone is saying against what they mean.

Take special care in offer your answers. Keep your replies simple and to the point. Do not wander from subject to subject while answering a question.

Another important point is to remember that patience is an important part of the character of the Muslim and that you must not become angry or outraged at what people say to you or by the quesitons that they are asking. If you feel that it is too much for you to deal with, then simply walk away.

Also, don't try to be funny or sarcastic. This is distracting and not appropriate. Very often while giving the answer, we hear the person we are talking to saying something like, "I didn't know that." Or they might say, "This is actually something good." When this occurs we ask them, "Are you ready to rethink your position? Are you prepared to worship your God and your Lord without and partners?"

After all, isn't this what Islam is really all about? The most important subject is the worship of Almighty God, without any partners or associates or "gods" besides Almighty God.

truemuslim
04-19-2008, 08:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamada
Hmm I really don't, in a city like cardiff were people are friendly!, I once seen dis guy who had a board saying ''Free hugs'' loool, So if he can do it! I can do it to!
LOL free hugs hehe. i see shirts like that but i havent seen no one actually buy it...

@ topic
lol i might. if i could... just not here. same reason as ali. said (and LOOOL) , and also because theres a law thing here in ohio that ur allowed to hold guns....for "self defense" ...so ...its basically like suicide. just them knowing im muslim..lol. some are nice. but others stare like i have bombs under my hijab, and when my brother looks at them they glance away like theyr scared as hell, he says white people get scared too easily... most are nice tho so its worth it.

almost....
:w:

S_87
04-19-2008, 08:41 PM
:sl:

No i would not

Na7lah
04-19-2008, 08:43 PM
I wouldn’t either don’t think I’d feel comfortable with all these strangers comin up to me.

Khayal
04-19-2008, 11:28 PM

Why not? I would like to wear it, but I can't, the reason being that I don't wear these type of clothes... why should I wear such kufrana clothes, when i have my Islamic modest dress?..I am proud of already representing myself as a muslim, Alhamdulilah. It is a good idea though.:thumbs_up

Malaikah
04-20-2008, 03:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by RighteousLady
Also, don't try to be funny

I don't see what's wrong with a little humour, if it helps break the ice.

جوري
04-20-2008, 04:26 AM
Never had interest in passing da3wah to people.. I think it is a privilege being a Muslim, exclusive to a select elite... Hope that doesn't make me a bad person?..

MustafaMc
04-20-2008, 06:47 AM
No, I would not. I often see a man with a Christian evangelical placard-type sign at a busy intersection in a nearby city. I have often thought to one day stand on a similar corner with a sign, "There is only One God and Muhammad is His Messenger." In that case, a T-shirt with "Ask me about Islam" would be appropriate.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.