/* */

PDA

View Full Version : God is the best planner of all?

jd7
04-20-2008, 01:35 AM
This is something I have never understood.

God is the best planner of all.

Yet God's plans went awry and Mohammad’s revelations had to come along to straighten things out. Later J. Smith’s revelations had to come along and straighten things out again.

Examining that concept leads to the conclusion that God isn’t the best planner.

I would like to see an argument presented (that would stand up to examination) that would show why Mohammad’s visions are more acceptable or believable than Joseph Smith’s.

Why should/would Mohammad be any more believable than Joseph Smith?

Why Muslim instead of Mormon?

Your argument/stance, should promote Islam while showing why the same argument/stance, couldn’t/shouldn’t be applied to accepting Joseph Smith’s teachings.

Why did you choose Islam over Mormonism?

I am looking forward to reading the responses.
JD7

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Abdul Fattah
04-21-2008, 02:10 AM
Yet God's plans went awry and Mohammad’s revelations had to come along to straighten things out. Later J. Smith’s revelations had to come along and straighten things out again.
I don't think that Islam holds that "his plans went awry and Muhammad's revelations had to come". In Islam we believe that every single leaf that falls from a tree was anticipated, not a grain of sand exists or God knows about it. So he knew exactly what would happen. The previous prophets (peace be upon them) were not a failure. They were prophets (peace be upon him), each send to a specific group of people. Prophet Muhammed (peace be upon him) was sent not because plans went wrong, but his coming was planned all along.

I would like to see an argument presented (that would stand up to examination) that would show why Mohammad’s visions are more acceptable or believable than Joseph Smith’s.
Every prophet was given miracles, so that the people would know he is genuine. The miracles of the prophets (peace be upon him) who were sent to a specific group of people only appealed to them. Healing the sick for example, would convince those that witness it, but is of little convincing powers to us now. That is because we don't witness the miracle. At best we could believe the witnesses. But that isn't very convincing. However that is not an issue, like I said those prophets (peace be upon him) were send to a specific group of people in a specific time. That is what sets Muhammed (peace be upon him) apart from the others. He was send as a prophet to all of mankind. And among the miracles sent to him, one of them (the Qur'an) is still witnessable today. You can no longer witness the people healed by Jesus (peace be upon him) but you can still witness the miraculousness of the Qur'an.

To be honest I haven't studied Mormonism in depth. I used to be agnostic/atheistic. At one point in my life I started reading the Qur'an, and I converted afterwards because I was convinced by it's miraculous properties.

Nerd
04-21-2008, 02:24 AM
God knew, when Adam was created he was going to eat from the forbidden tree... God knows... now to say it was a failure of his divine Plan is wrong I suppose

Woodrow
04-21-2008, 02:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by jd7

True, however we as Humans are limited by finite knowledge and can only see a glimpse of what has happened and have no access to what will happen.

A French Chef plans and cooks a perfect dinner with the Pièce de résistance being Cordon Bleu. No matter how perfect that meal is, there will be at least one chicken that will fail to appreciate the Perfection. J. Smith did not come to correct Muhammad. He was part of the overall plan, although we may never know what part he was/is to play.

Or we are not creators of the universe and can not comprehend the necessary criteria of the perfect plan.

1. The original wording of Allaah's(swt) words to Muhammad(PBUH) are intact and unchanged and have been repeated unchanged for over 1400 years. We know what was said, not a translation or interpretation of what was said.

2. The times of the revelations to Muhammad were observed and verified by others.

3. Previously unknown facts are found many places in the Qur'an.

4. The words given in the revelations are clear and do not require interpretation by any clergy.

The words that were revealed are available to all people and have survived scrutiny for 1400 years.

There is no indication that the words given to Muhammad(PBUH) were given by a Human.

Your argument/stance, should promote Islam while showing why the same argument/stance, couldn’t/shouldn’t be applied to accepting Joseph Smith’s teachings.
The book of Mormon was written in a language understood only by J.Smith. It was not available to all of mankind. All that exists is an alleged translation and interpretation.

Tried the rest and finally found the best.

JD7

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Abdul Fattah
04-21-2008, 03:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nerd
God knew, when Adam was created he was going to eat from the forbidden tree... God knows... now to say it was a failure of his divine Plan is wrong I suppose
Copy paste from my site:
# Free will vs. omniscience of God
The argument goes, if our creator is omniscient; he knew exactly what we would eventually do. He thus created some of us despite knowing very well they 'd fail. Or even more convincing, he made us in such a specific manner and environment that we would inevitably fail. This isn't actually an argument against free will, but rather an argument against the responsibility of our free will. As I illustrated before, predestination does not negate free will and personal input. The argument here isn't that we were created without a choice. The argument here is that we were created with choice despite that our creator knew some of us would end up making the wrong choice! This is very twisted. If predestination doesn't negate free will, it shouldn't negate responsibility either. Just because God knew in advance, doesn't mean it isn't our choice and our responsibility. This is in fact the other side of the shinning free-will coin. Free will comes hand in hand with responsibility, and trying to push responsibility to our creator, is in a way rejecting free will, not denying it. The argument is not saying "I don't have it", but rather saying: "I don't want it".

barney
04-27-2008, 04:08 PM
What about Gods free will?
He creates a universe in 6 days , populates the earth, 2000 years after this the world apart from one man and his family sin so deeply, that he wipes them out and starts again.

It's a bit like making a flatpack from IKEA where you get sent the wrong stuff and then put a screw straight through the chipboard ands end up burning the whole lot. You try to blame IKEA then Realise that you are the Managing Director of IKEA.

It must be a bit taxing on the old Omniscience to get something so big so wrong, unless you planned to get it wrong.

Woodrow
04-27-2008, 04:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by barney
What about Gods free will?
He creates a universe in 6 days , populates the earth, 2000 years after this the world apart from one man and his family sin so deeply, that he wipes them out and starts again.

It's a bit like making a flatpack from IKEA where you get sent the wrong stuff and then put a screw straight through the chipboard ands end up burning the whole lot. You try to blame IKEA then Realise that you are the Managing Director of IKEA.

It must be a bit taxing on the old Omniscience to get something so big so wrong, unless you planned to get it wrong.
We see it as being a case that Allaah(swt) created man with the full intent of being tested and able to love Allaah(swt) by choice and not command. Quite a well designed testing ground as it does test each person to the maximum of his/her abilities.

barney
04-27-2008, 05:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
We see it as being a case that Allaah(swt) created man with the full intent of being tested and able to love Allaah(swt) by choice and not command. Quite a well designed testing ground as it does test each person to the maximum of his/her abilities.
Cheers Woody.
Just to back up to the flood for a sec, God decided not to test those guys, but simply to wipe them out. I'm wondering if all of them simultaniously no longer required testing, what was the point of them?

- Qatada -
04-27-2008, 06:07 PM
Cheers Woody.
Just to back up to the flood for a sec, God decided not to test those guys, but simply to wipe them out. I'm wondering if all of them simultaniously no longer required testing, what was the point of them?

If you're talking about the people who Prophet Noah gave glad tidings to and warned, but they persisted in their rejection of the truth, while continuously harrassing the Messenger aswell as torturing his followers, then yes - they would be punished by Allah after their disbelief was clear and established.

Furthermore, they would be an example for the future generations who were to follow a similar path to the disbelievers of old.

Peace.

barney
04-27-2008, 06:20 PM
So...what was the point of them existing? God knew they would sin, he planned for them to sin, he knew they would reject the message, he knew he would destroy them, he knew he would save Noah, he knew they were going to hell.

Bit of a waste of time eh?

- Qatada -
04-27-2008, 06:41 PM
So...what was the point of them existing? God knew they would sin, he planned for them to sin, he knew they would reject the message, he knew he would destroy them, he knew he would save Noah, he knew they were going to hell.

format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Fattah
Copy paste from my site:

# Free will vs. omniscience of God

The argument goes, if our creator is omniscient; he knew exactly what we would eventually do. He thus created some of us despite knowing very well they 'd fail. Or even more convincing, he made us in such a specific manner and environment that we would inevitably fail. This isn't actually an argument against free will, but rather an argument against the responsibility of our free will. As I illustrated before, predestination does not negate free will and personal input. The argument here isn't that we were created without a choice. The argument here is that we were created with choice despite that our creator knew some of us would end up making the wrong choice! This is very twisted. If predestination doesn't negate free will, it shouldn't negate responsibility either. Just because God knew in advance, doesn't mean it isn't our choice and our responsibility. This is in fact the other side of the shinning free-will coin. Free will comes hand in hand with responsibility, and trying to push responsibility to our creator, is in a way rejecting free will, not denying it. The argument is not saying "I don't have it", but rather saying: "I don't want it".

http://seemyparadigm.webs.com

MustafaMc
04-27-2008, 07:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Qatada -
If you're talking about the people who Prophet Noah gave glad tidings to and warned, but they persisted in their rejection of the truth, while continuously harrassing the Messenger aswell as torturing his followers, then yes - they would be punished by Allah after their disbelief was clear and established.

Furthermore, they would be an example for the future generations who were to follow a similar path to the disbelievers of old.
The same can be said for Lot and the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah. However, we must remember the story of Jonah who was sent to the wicked people of Nineveh who ended up following Guidance.

Azy
04-27-2008, 09:28 PM
The argument goes, if our creator is omniscient; he knew exactly what we would eventually do. He thus created some of us despite knowing very well they'd fail. Or even more convincing, he made us in such a specific manner and environment that we would inevitably fail. This isn't actually an argument against free will, but rather an argument against the responsibility of our free will. As I illustrated before, predestination does not negate free will and personal input. The argument here isn't that we were created without a choice. The argument here is that we were created with choice despite that our creator knew some of us would end up making the wrong choice! This is very twisted. If predestination doesn't negate free will, it shouldn't negate responsibility either. Just because God knew in advance, doesn't mean it isn't our choice and our responsibility. This is in fact the other side of the shinning free-will coin. Free will comes hand in hand with responsibility, and trying to push responsibility to our creator, is in a way rejecting free will, not denying it. The argument is not saying "I don't have it", but rather saying: "I don't want it".
The problem with this is understanding how the creator knows what choices you're going to make.

If you have a genuine free will then you could make different choices given the exact same circumstances. That God knows what you're going to do implies either forcing your hand or some kind of determinism, either way you aren't responsible since you couldn't act otherwise.

جوري
04-27-2008, 09:59 PM
aha

indeed that is true..

Perhaps this can be measured against the works they have both produced?
the Quran is inimitable and very distinct from the hadith (the actualy sayings of the prophet) while the book of the Mormon's looks surprisingly like the bible!

I enjoy informal fallacies as much as the next guy, but I don't see how you have examined or inferred logically from what you have presented!

use the search engine, or try this http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/reference/glossary.html

best to narrow the field than just throw something out there for the reader to decipher what he may?

see above

cheers

MustafaMc
04-27-2008, 10:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Azy
The problem with this is understanding how the creator knows what choices you're going to make.

If you have a genuine free will then you could make different choices given the exact same circumstances. That God knows what you're going to do implies either forcing your hand or some kind of determinism, either way you aren't responsible since you couldn't act otherwise.
One thing that defies our human logic is that Allah (swt) is not bound by the dimensions of space and time. Since we are bound by these very constraints, we can't comprehend existence outside of space and time. There is nothing, no matter how big or small and no matter how far into the past or into the future, that escapes the knowledge of Allah (swt). Glory to Allah, the All-Knowing, the All-Hearing, the All-Seeing.

barney
04-27-2008, 10:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skye Ephémérine
while the book of the Mormon's looks surprisingly like the bible!
It would appear that the Angels were so impressed with the King James version of the Bible, that they added "And it came to pass" every third sentance into their divine revalations scribed into the vanishing Golden plates.

You gotta give Smithy some credit. The last guy to hit critical mass as a prophet, if you dont count hubbard.
"I've had Divine revalation written in solid physical form....ooops it just vanished...It was here a second ago...Lo! He hath caused it to vanish!...MIGHTY ART HIS WUNDERS!"

He had guts to pull that off in the 1800's in the face of a ever secularising world. True workmanship.

M.I.A.
04-27-2008, 10:09 PM
well i guess ya have to look at the bigger picture here. as in humans are the best creation of allah but they are not the only creations of allah.
for us freedom of choice is within the mind.. intent and motive. what happens outside is allahs will. thats why its said we can only wronge our own souls.. with me so far?
so if you hinder someone.. that persons life kinda changes in one way or another but ultimately what happens to that person in the long run might be of benifit to him or her.
as for the ultimate plan well i guess its to do with someone we kinda dont like to mention. the good guys always have a hard time, but the bad guys think there invincible... granted respite should i say. man i oversimplified, but im a simple self righteous so an so.

جوري
04-27-2008, 10:31 PM
It would appear that the Angels were so impressed with the King James version of the Bible, that they added "And it came to pass" every third sentance into their divine revalations scribed into the vanishing Golden plates.

You gotta give Smithy some credit. The last guy to hit critical mass as a prophet, if you dont count hubbard.
"I've had Divine revalation written in solid physical form....ooops it just vanished...It was here a second ago...Lo! He hath caused it to vanish!...MIGHTY ART HIS WUNDERS!"

He had guts to pull that off in the 1800's in the face of a ever secularising world. True workmanship.
You should start a sect in sikhism you can be the 11th guru or so? you can ammend a chapter or just nullify the previous work.. There is no shortage of deviants and I know how desperate you are to get your name down in any bible..

cheers

Azy
04-28-2008, 12:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MustafaMc
One thing that defies our human logic is that Allah (swt) is not bound by the dimensions of space and time. Since we are bound by these very constraints, we can't comprehend existence outside of space and time. There is nothing, no matter how big or small and no matter how far into the past or into the future, that escapes the knowledge of Allah (swt). Glory to Allah, the All-Knowing, the All-Hearing, the All-Seeing.
So Allah is beyond logic?

If he knows what is going to happen, regardless of how he is involved, then from his point of view your path is predetermined. Again this is contrary to free will.

- Qatada -
04-28-2008, 01:03 PM
Believing that Allah has knowledge of all matters is an attribute of His Perfection, we do not know the future, but we have been given the criterion between truth/falsehood, wrong/right etc. through His revelation. We accept the revelation and strive to do good while avoiding evil - we have a choice in that, we feel it.

Since we do not know the future - that is sufficient for us to strive as much as possible to attain Paradise. Us not knowing our destination is sufficient for us to aim for good. One can argue that God has planned it already, therefore disobeying what He has sent as guidance for us, or another can follow the guidance - hoping for the best. The one who strives for the good will earn it, and that is God's Promise. But the one who turns away and rejects - then they have none to blame except themselves, since they were warned beforehand of the consequences.

جوري
04-28-2008, 01:11 PM
So Allah is beyond logic?
If you have an internal representation of the world and God, to a low common denominator, you'l forgive that others won't and don't share you view!.. Perhaps if you name God, quantum physics or natural philosophy we can get a more weighted abstract thought out of you?

If he knows what is going to happen, regardless of how he is involved, then from his point of view your path is predetermined. Again this is contrary to free will.
I don't desire to make a simile between the creator and the creation, but say you've always been an oppositional defiant sort of a kid, those who gave birth to you, know all of your traits. One day your mother bakes a batch of cookies, and tells you don't take any of it, she knowing your nature expects you to do it anyway, you being you, go and live up to her disappointed expectations of you. Does the fact that she knows of your nature, deny you, your own free will? You went ahead and did it anyway, it was your choosing!

* I'll ask the atheists on board to practice a bit of sophistry before posing their q's they are so inane and pedantic.. I can get a more substantiative questions from children...

Does this forum have an age limit? we should impose one really!

:w:

Azy
04-28-2008, 01:56 PM
I don't desire to make a simile between the creator and the creation, but say you've always been an oppositional defiant sort of a kid, those who gave birth to you, know all of your traits. One day your mother bakes a batch of cookies, and tells you don't take any of it, she knowing your nature expects you to do it anyway, you being you, go and live up to her disappointed expectations of you. Does the fact that she knows of your nature, deny you, your own free will? You went ahead and did it anyway, it was your choosing!
The problem with this scenario is that while my mother may know me as well as a person can know another she doesn't have actual knowledge of my future actions.

She may be able to accurately predict my actions based on the fact I was a naughty defiant little kid but that is not the same as a definite knowledge of what my exact actions will be.
This analogy is over-simplified and does not address the subject.

------
04-28-2008, 01:58 PM
:salamext:

^ Ur analogy of not believing in Allaah needs to be simplifed lol

aamirsaab
04-28-2008, 02:02 PM
No it isn't. Free will encorporates the actual act. Predetermination in no way negates this. It just means God knows what your overall decision is going to be - He is not chosing and performing the action. You are.

To answer the question raised in the title:
God is the best planner of all?
From my life experience. Yes, yes He is.

Azy
04-28-2008, 03:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
No it isn't. Free will encorporates the actual act. Predetermination in no way negates this. It just means God knows what your overall decision is going to be - He is not chosing and performing the action. You are.
Say you're deciding what to have for breakfast, toast or cereal.
God knows you're going to have toast.
If you had free will you would be able to choose cereal or toast, there is nothing to stop you doing either one. Problem is, if you really did have absolute free will you would be able to choose cereal and thus prove God wrong.
This means there must be a mechanism for God to know what you're going to do. Is life entirely predictable from God's point of view? If so then your life is determined in advance and you aren't really responsible, like a leaf going downstream, it may seem unpredictable but it is at the mercy of external forces.
If God just knows and there is some sort of spooky explanation that defies logic then there's no point in discussing it.

Mikayeel
04-28-2008, 03:39 PM
To me that shows that Allah is the all wise! Look I got a phone in front of me, i can either pick it up! Or just leave it, in my case i picked it up! (this is free will) But whatever i choose to do Allah knows of it, before i even do it!

SubhanAllah!!! The all wise, the all knower. What kind of things u guys associate with him:(

barney
04-28-2008, 03:58 PM
I'd love to carry on for a bit, but my mummy says its my bathtime , and I get to use the sparkle toothpaste tonight.
Might post tommorow after nursery.

Mikayeel
04-28-2008, 04:02 PM
Do you atheist/agnostic feel that your life is predetermined in ANY kind of way? If you answer me with a yes, ur lying!

If you answer me with a no, then its Allah who gave u the option to know whats good and whats bad. To either believe or disbelieve in him.

You CHOOSE to disbelieve in him, so i can't understand why you are complaining....

Azy
04-28-2008, 04:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamada
Do you atheist/agnostic feel that your life is predetermined in ANY kind of way? If you answer me with a yes, ur lying!

If you answer me with a no, then its Allah who gave u the option to know whats good and whats bad. To either believe or disbelieve in him.

You CHOOSE to disbelieve in him, so i can't understand why you are complaining....
I do believe in determinism. As one who places his trust in the reliability of the forces of nature to show us the truth about our surroundings, it would be very arrogant of me to believe that my mental processes were somehow beyond their reach.
Just as you can plot the trajectory of a ball in flight, a sufficiently powerful calculating machine could predict the outcome of your thoughts if the variables of the chemical processes inside you could be thoroughly known.

To be honest, I don't like that idea, but I'm willing to accept it.

Mikayeel
04-28-2008, 04:46 PM
I do believe in determinism. As one who places his trust in the reliability of the forces of nature to show us the truth about our surroundings, it would be very arrogant of me to believe that my mental processes were somehow beyond their reach.
Just as you can plot the trajectory of a ball in flight, a sufficiently powerful calculating machine could predict the outcome of your thoughts if the variables of the chemical processes inside you could be thoroughly known.

To be honest, I don't like that idea, but I'm willing to accept it.
lool you said it your self, ''predicting'' uhmm

MustafaMc
04-28-2008, 04:52 PM
I'd love to carry on for a bit, but my mummy says its my bathtime , and I get to use the sparkle toothpaste tonight.
Might post tommorow after nursery.
How big is the tub required to bath a dino? I suppose you just go jump in the pool or sum'tin'.

جوري
04-28-2008, 05:53 PM
The problem with this scenario is that while my mother may know me as well as a person can know another she doesn't have actual knowledge of my future actions.
She may be able to accurately predict my actions based on the fact I was a naughty defiant little kid but that is not the same as a definite knowledge of what my exact actions will be.
This analogy is over-simplified and does not address the subject.
hence I stated I'd hate to make a simile between the creation and the creator, but so you can get the general picture!

As well, you'll forgive that the index of the reply will have to be on the same level as the Question!...I am not going to prescribe someone Meropenem when the problem can be handled with a mere penicillin! or in other terms, no point in bringing a power hammer where a drumstick will do!

cheers

Azy
04-28-2008, 07:29 PM
hence I stated I'd hate to make a simile between the creation and the creator, but so you can get the general picture!
Thanks, but I'm already aware of the general picture, it's the specifics I'm interested in. Is there anything in Islam that suggests how God would be aware of your future, to what extent you are 'predestined' to act a certain way, whether God has an active hand in that and how free will and responsibility are involved.
lool you said it your self, ''predicting'' uhmm
Yes, I did.
For example, you take a ball and roll it down a hill. If you could map every bump of the hillside and measure the properties of the ball to a high degree of accuracy, you could set the ball rolling and predict it's path. If I could then go back and set it up exactly the same, I would release the ball and watch it follow an identical path down the hill.

Taking the predictable effects of known causes and extrapolating into the future would make it possible to predict almost anything, is this how God knows what's going to happen, we are entirely predictable in a physical sense?
If you were told what you were predestined to do, could you use your free will to change it?

Mikayeel
04-28-2008, 07:32 PM
Thanks, but I'm already aware of the general picture, it's the specifics I'm interested in. Is there anything in Islam that suggests how God would be aware of your future, to what extent you are 'predestined' to act a certain way, whether God has an active hand in that and how free will and responsibility are involved.

Yes, I did.
For example, you take a ball and roll it down a hill. If you could map every bump of the hillside and measure the properties of the ball to a high degree of accuracy, you could set the ball rolling and predict it's path. If I could then go back and set it up exactly the same, I would release the ball and watch it follow an identical path down the hill.

Taking the predictable effects of known causes and extrapolating into the future would make it possible to predict almost anything, is this how God knows what's going to happen, we are entirely predictable in a physical sense?
If you were told what you were predestined to do, could you use your free will to change it?
What if it was more windy on that day? Or if the surface was snowy? Aaah didnt plan that did u! (do you know why? because u simply can't)

Yesterday the weather forecast in cardiff, ''PREDICTED'' continuous sunshine. I was all excited to play football only to find out that it was rainy and the sky was grey

جوري
04-28-2008, 07:42 PM
You should read the Quran in its entirety, I recommend the Leopold weiss translation, then we can have this discussion.
I have already drawn my conclusion and I fear it, too esoteric to share on this forum. I don't like leading people astray when I am not a scholar in exegesis.

To give you my abridged conclusion.. goodness and initiative has to come from you.. and as is, in suret Al'anfal... if there is goodness in you, you can set your own positive change in motion with the aid of Allah swt..Now this is a very personal experience surely mine differs from others... There truly is a way to work in conert with the father of all universal laws.. I will not eleborate on that further, save to say, what you might deem serendipitous, I would deem calculated and planned with the individual influencing the outcome!

People are much like harvest... as so we were also described by Allah (swt) to prophet Moses (sas)... there will always be weed that crowds out cultivated plants, though you grow from the same earth..

cheers

InToTheRain
04-28-2008, 08:30 PM
Allah(SWT) says in the Qur'an:

"On no soul doth Allah Place a burden greater than it can bear..." [Surah Baqarah: Chapter 2, Verse 285]

If Allah(SWT) is to prevent me from being overburdened surely He must be aware of all my future actions, my choices, my abilities etc so as to make the trials and tribulations I face fair according to my character and abilities. He in fact controls the sphere under which I can practice my free will, and He knows Best. He is the most Just and All Knowing and not even an atom's movement escapes his knowledge.

Azy
04-28-2008, 09:58 PM
I just thought I'd address this before bed.
What if it was more windy on that day? Or if the surface was snowy? Aaah didnt plan that did u! (do you know why? because u simply can't)
You'll notice I said exactly the same. I'm not really talking about what I personally can do, but what is possible within the bounds of what we know, what can logically be inferred from the rules that govern our surroundings.
Yesterday the weather forecast in cardiff, ''PREDICTED'' continuous sunshine. I was all excited to play football only to find out that it was rainy and the sky was grey
This is a prediction of an immensely complex system based on a handful of variables. Obviously it is not going to be accurate all the time.

What if we could measure all the variables down to the movement of every single molecule of air and water vapour, the rustle of every tree and every photon entering the atmosphere?

- Qatada -
04-28-2008, 10:04 PM
Believing that Allah has knowledge of all matters is an attribute of His Perfection, we do not know the future, but we have been given the criterion between truth/falsehood, wrong/right etc. through His revelation. We accept the revelation and strive to do good while avoiding evil - we have a choice in that, we feel it.

Since we do not know the future - that is sufficient for us to strive as much as possible to attain Paradise. Us not knowing our destination is sufficient for us to aim for good. One can argue that God has planned it already, therefore disobeying what He has sent as guidance for us, or another can follow the guidance - hoping for the best.

The one who strives for the good will earn it
, and that is God's Promise. But the one who turns away and rejects - then they have none to blame except themselves, since they were warned beforehand of the consequences.

that's sufficient for us as an argument as muslims. lets just leave it at that.

Chuck
04-28-2008, 10:43 PM
bad example, ball goes in the direction in which it is thrown. Ball example doesn't have an issue of freewill in the first place. Btw, there is difference between predestination and foreknowledge.

Chuck
04-28-2008, 11:05 PM
Thanks, but I'm already aware of the general picture, it's the specifics I'm interested in. Is there anything in Islam that suggests how God would be aware of your future
Nope. Quran clearly says that there is nothing like God. I recommed read up Dr. Lang's section "If God was one of us". It is in his book struggling to surrender.

Excerpt from that book
If God were one of us, it would make things much easier, because then I would be able to understand Him, enough at least to see the connection between good works and divine intimacy. I can understand other persons because I share similar experiences, similar fears, hopes, dreams, wants, hardships, and joys. I can relate to them because we are the same basic being, only differing by slight variations. But God is not one of us. The Qur'an goes so far as to say that we cannot comprehend God, that God is "high exalted above anything that people may devise by way of definition" (6:100), that "there is nothing like unto Him" (42:11) and "nothing can be compared to Him" (112:4). It could not be otherwise, for how could human beings who are mortal, finite, corporeal, dependent, vulnerable, weak, limited, created, bound by space and time, understand one who is everlasting, infinite, non-corporeal, utterly independent, invulnerable, all-powerful, all knowing, all wise, Creator of all, transcendent.
If only the Qur'an had elaborated on God somewhere, gave us enough of a description so that we could fill in the lines. I did not come all this way only to find out that God is incomprehensible - an inscrutable mystery - and that for me there is no hope.
No wonder we humans tend to deify our own or to humanize God. Although this creates for me more rational dilemmas then it solves; it does lend God some tangibility. I guess I wanted to have my cake and eat it too. I wanted God to be utterly exalted above creation, utterly unlike the humanity I was part of, and at the same time reachable.

barney
04-28-2008, 11:23 PM

Yes, I did.

Azy, then you would have to plot the overhead passing duck and its downdraught affecting the balls predicted route, and the fluctuation in the earths gravity field from a passing comet 2 billion miles away. I agree its all possible to predict, but thats for a inert object. A sentinent being cant be predicted.
There is simply nothing that can affect our free will under normal human operating circumstances.
If God is plotting our path then he has about 3000Googles of operations a second just to plot me typing this sentance. If he is manouvering every atom in the universe, he has a bit more than that to cope with.
No wonder in the Bible that he had a bit of a nap on Sunday.

I look at cases like Juche. From the moment a North Korean is born their expectations and life is mapped out for them. They are woken at 7 AM and the street cleaners are already out on the streets cleaning away non-existant litter and the Traffic police are stood waving on non-existant traffic.
The Hotel's cook up their state approved meals in the same way each day for hundreds of tourists....who simply are not in the hotel, and will never come. It's the perfect mind control.
And yet still people use their free will. Some grow their hair past state approved length, risking imprisonment, some will smuggle photo's of their prison-city to the outside world, some will run through kilometers of mines and barbed wire.
Even in this super-controlled state, people can still think.

Akilah Hijara
04-29-2008, 12:03 AM
I think it might be more accurate, if you are still in the discussion about fate vs. free will, to think of life as a pin ball machine. You are always going to come out in one place and exit in another, but the chaotic bouncing around in the middle is entirely up to...whoever. Every move may be planned out or not, but the end result will be the same.
Well, that didn't really come out the way it was in my head, but I hope it makes sense.

Abdul Fattah
04-29-2008, 12:04 AM

Hi Azy.
I disagree completely with your reasoning. Determinism doesn't contradict free will nor responsibility at all.

The paragraph you commented to was part of a larger section. I'll post the whole part here:

* Free will vs. fate
When people think about fate or destiny being inevitable; they usually assume it is inevitable despite of our choices rather then because of our choices. To illustrate this with an example. Say a person sits at a diner, deciding whether he'd have coffee or tea. Lets say hypothetically that if he'll take the tea, he'll get sleepy and get run over by a car when exiting the diner as opposed to when he takes coffee which will make him jumpy enough to avoid being hit. When you add fate into the picture, many people will be inclined to think that if the person is destined to be run over, then he will inevitable be run over despite his choice of coffee or tea. In that view, any personal choice can be rendered as irrelevant, and free will is a pipe dream. However there is an alternative view. One could say that the person is destined to be run over because he chooses to have tea. In that view, destiny doesn't deny choice. But rather our choice creates a destiny. Of course some might say that this is a play on words and that in this view, destiny and fate loose there value. But that argument is strictly semantical. Perhaps the value I propose is contradictory to contemporary semantics, but can we honestly claim to know what the semantical value was of a word more then a millennium ago? If we cannot, then this alternative view should be kept into consideration.
* Free will vs. predestination
Predestination ties in very closely to fate and destiny. However, it is a very specific form of destiny and fate. The prefix "pre" stresses that this destiny is already set prior to it happening, and perhaps also known prior to it happening. Again, there's a big semantical problem here that I explain in the page dedicated to time. the word "already" is nonsensical in that sentence because it is a word derived from a presentists point of view. If we include layers of time into this objection, we find that the statement becomes: "At the time1 that I haven't made a choice yet1 the future1 is already2 determined." So it isn't really "already" decided in the sense that we have no saying in it, since that already refers to secondary layer of time. It is already2 decided because an observer outside of time1 would see which course of action we will1 take. That has no bearing on the causality of this time. And it certainly doesn't mean our window of opportunity to choose has passed. The reason the future is set is because our choices are know. In other words, our choices are included into the determination, so the determination does not negate us having a choice.
* Free will vs. causal determinism
The problem that physical causality has with free will; is that it suggests our will is not free at all. If you view the brain as a biological machine which responds to electrical impulses and chemical balances of hormones, then the end result -your choice- can be predicted by the laws of nature. This somehow strips the concept of person input and freedom. This used to be one of the reasons why I considered myself atheistic in the past. As I reconsidered these arguments later in life however, I came to the conclusion that no proof nor indication can be found in the fields of neuro-psychology that confirms this view. First of all we need to consider what causality actually is. As I illustrated here [edit: link to other page] science still has no clue of what causality actually is. We only examine the events that are correlated, not the correlation itself. And on this page I've shown how our views on time could fundamentally change our concept of causality. So just because the results are causal, is not enough to conclude that they aren't our personal, free wills. Furthermore our current knowledge on the human mind is way to limited. There is definitely still more then enough room for interpreting the mind as free. Right now we have no idea how the brain stores memories, how we make decisions, and so on. All we have researched so far is that there is a certain correlation between certain area's of the brain and certain thoughts. We've established this by monitoring brain activity during certain thoughts the test subject has. But the interpretation given to the results are very biased. Many assume that since the area is correlated, that must mean that activity in that area causes or triggers a certain thought. And what about the influence of electrons in our brains? It has been suggested that chaos theory apply to our brain. Chaos theory is the theory that a very small process -in this case the behavior of an electron- can have a determinant influence on the outcome of a much larger event. This is sometimes also called the butterfly effect. How does this affect causality? Well, we don't know yet how causal the behavior of electrons actually is! Is their behavior strictly random, or is there an underlying cause for it? Of course I grant that us humans do experience basic, instinctive impulses and desires that drive us. And because of those impulses we actually have a lot less freedom than some wish to think. However, we can deny these urges by choice! Take fasting for example. Denying ones basic urges to eat for a full day. We have yet to understand how such a choice works on a neuro-psychological level. And that is what true freedom of choice means. That is why someone who choses to ignore his lusts and urges, and instead choses to follow religion acquires the greatest degree of freedom one can have. Because what you do then is ignore your causal body, and follow your spiritual soul. In other words, the choice boils down to this: be a slave of your urges, and needs, or be a slave of God.
* Free will vs. omniscience of God

barney
04-29-2008, 12:11 AM
Can I hop in with my Angels bit here?
Sometimes the Angels intervene. We had a discussion a few weeks back, and the free will of people was sometimes overriden by God. People wanted to die and so they shot themselves yet diddnt die, because the angels made the round ricchochet off the skull, or when driving too fast the angels made the person aware that they were about to be sideswiped by a truck and they made them swerve and miss it.

So when the Angels, who obviously are employees of God, intervene in these situations, are they not mucking about with our free will?

Abdul Fattah
04-29-2008, 12:18 AM
Can I hop in with my Angels bit here?
Sometimes the Angels intervene. We had a discussion a few weeks back, and the free will of people was sometimes overriden by God. People wanted to die and so they shot themselves yet diddnt die, because the angels made the round ricchochet off the skull, or when driving too fast the angels made the person aware that they were about to be sideswiped by a truck and they made them swerve and miss it.

So when the Angels, who obviously are employees of God, intervene in these situations, are they not mucking about with our free will?
There's a difference between free will (choice) and between absolute freedom of action! I don't see why angels ricocheting a round is any different from say a paramedic rescuing a person who slit his wrists. Both cases do not undermine the existence of free will in any way. Free will means we get to choice what actions we'll take, it doesn't mean however we have absolute control over the end result of those actions.

barney
04-29-2008, 12:24 AM
Well actually they do. The Paramedic is using his free will to save the suicidal guy. Hence overriding it.
But that anology is a bit weak in the respect of nobody can intervene to make a bullet ricochet off a skull.
It can ricohet because it was always going to, due to angle, charge, caliber , grain, muzzle velocity, bullet type or the wearing of a helmet, but for the angels to intervene, as some say they do, is definatly a supernatural being overiding a humans choice.

So either the angels dont intervene, which is against theistic beleif or they do, and theyre overiding free will.

Abdul Fattah
04-29-2008, 12:30 AM
Well actually they do. The Paramedic is using his free will to save the suicidal guy. Hence overriding it.
But that anology is a bit weak in the respect of nobody can intervene to make a bullet ricochet off a skull.
It can ricohet because it was always going to, due to angle, charge, caliber , grain, muzzle velocity, bullet type or the wearing of a helmet, but for the angels to intervene, as some say they do, is definatly a supernatural being overiding a humans choice.

So either the angels dont intervene, which is against theistic beleif or they do, and theyre overiding free will.
My point was, there's a difference between countering free will, and not having free will in the first place. In both cases the suicidal person had the free will to try and end his life, in both cases he ended up using the weapon, and in both cases his actions were countered later on by something he hadn't foreseen.

Azy
04-29-2008, 09:12 AM
Azy, then you would have to plot the overhead passing duck and its downdraught affecting the balls predicted route, and the fluctuation in the earths gravity field from a passing comet 2 billion miles away.
Well, yes, I was hoping I wouldn't have to completely catalogue the contents of the universe just to make a point ;)
I agree its all possible to predict, but thats for a inert object. A sentinent being cant be predicted.
Do you believe that the laws of nature and causality exist everywhere in the universe but inside your head?
That a human brain can conjure something out of nothing and that thoughts can occur without a cause? What you're arguing for is a supernatural power that is not bound by the rules of physics.
* Free will vs. fate
Perhaps the value I propose is contradictory to contemporary semantics, but can we honestly claim to know what the semantical value was of a word more then a millennium ago? If we cannot, then this alternative view should be kept into consideration.
Translated: This view is valid because I don't know how 8th century Arabs defined the word fate.
* Free will vs. predestination
It is already2 decided because an observer outside of time1 would see which course of action we will1 take. That has no bearing on the causality of this time.
Translated: This view is valid because I can make whatever assumptions I like about an 'observer' who lives 'outside of time', such as the assumption that this state of being is possible, that a being in such a state could view events in our space-time from outside of it, and that such an observer does not interfere with events in our space-time as physical principles suggest they should.
* Free will vs. causal determinism
This used to be one of the reasons why I considered myself atheistic in the past. As I reconsidered these arguments later in life however, I came to the conclusion that no proof nor indication can be found in the fields of neuro-psychology that confirms this view.
Translated: We can assume that causality works fine inside distant stars, but because we don't know everything that goes on inside a person's head and noone has explicitly shown it then it makes sense that causality does not exist there.
* Free will vs. omniscience of God
The argument here is that we were created with choice despite that our creator knew some of us would end up making the wrong choice! This is very twisted. If predestination doesn't negate free will, it shouldn't negate responsibility either. Just because God knew in advance, doesn't mean it isn't our choice and our responsibility.
Translated: God just knows what's going on, I don't know how he knows and nor has anyone presented credible evidence that he even exists so I can say what I want about his attributes.

Abdul Fattah
04-29-2008, 11:38 AM
Hi Azy

Translated: This view is valid because I don't know how 8th century Arabs defined the word fate.
Although I understand your "translations"; I must point out they are inaccurate. The translation would be: the view is valid because the counterargument relies on a very strict semantical interpretation of the word which Islam in general doesn't seem to be supporting! The argument makes as much sense as judging the concept of Allah by argumentation on the semantical value of the Christian view of god. In other words, it's not the validity that is relying on a pre-assumption, it's the counterargument that is relying on such. Therefor your representation which makes the concept look weak and the counter strong is inapt, as it should be the other way around.

Translated: This view is valid because I can make whatever assumptions I like about an 'observer' who lives 'outside of time', such as the assumption that this state of being is possible, that a being in such a state could view events in our space-time from outside of it, and that such an observer does not interfere with events in our space-time as physical principles suggest they should.
I am not making any assumptions, I am simply pointing out a big flaw in the argument. Although I see why the paragraph could be confusing, the explanation was relying on a previous explained concept. I'll clarify:

Presentism and eternalism.
Presentists hold that only the present is existing, and the past ceased to exist while the feature is yet to come into existence. That means dinosaurs for example do not exist. Eternalists on the other hand hold that present and past (and according to some also the future) are equally real. It views the dimension of time similar to the dimension of space. Objects in the distant past are equally real as objects in distant space are real, even though we're not there. So the past does not seize to exist as the present moves along. This means dinosaurs do exist, just none of them are located in the present. Obviously both presentists and eternalists do not only have a different perspective on the nature of time, but also on what the nature of the present is.

Persistence over time and endurance trough time.
Endurance trough time is the classical, intuitive view of how objects interact with time. In this view objects are wholly present at any time, and endure in their totality trough time. Change is then an altering of the composition of that object or it's environment. Some go even further and claim that time is nothing more then a man made concept to measure change. Persistence over time on the other hand holds that objects have four dimensions (hence the alternative name of the theory; four-dimensionalism). The three dimensional objects as we observe them, are then section-fragments or time-segments of the bigger four-dimensional object. that means that objects are not wholly present at any given time, but only a section of them is. Change under this view is not an altering of composition, but a succession of different segments; a bit similar to how movement in a movie is a projection of successive static images.

Discussing time is incredibly challenging because there exist no proper terminology. Our whole language is build up intuitively from the concept of presentism and is thus positively biased towards that view. So discussing the nature of an eternalistic universe is practically impossible. Therefor I have come up with a little trick so that we can apply our presentism-loaded vocabulary to describe an eternalistic universe: "Layers of time". I add an extra -hypothetical- layer of time. A time within a time. The time we experience and are discussing here; I call that the inner layer of time. Now imagine an observer that stands outside of our universe. i.e. in this case God; if you believe he created it you would logically also assume he is not part of his own creation and thus exists independent of it. And since time is a dimensional construct of this universe, God would also be "ungrounded" by and independent of time. It requires a bit of an alternative view on what a "dimension" is to really understand that, rather then a degree of liberty a dimension could also be seen as a degree of captivity. Science is neutral towards which is correct, but humans are inclined to prefer the former instinctively. If this observer would also be outside of our time and space, since four-dimensional space-time is a part of our universe itself. He would see all of the universe's existence at once. Both the past, present and future. But we have a problem there. When I say he sees past and future existence "at once" I am talking nonsense. To an observer that is outside of time, the term "at once", or more clearly, "at one time" makes no sense. See what I mean, by saying our language is intuitively build upon presentism? I have no method of expressing the multitude of observation by the observer, without using words that are time-dependent. Therefor, instead of making new words, I thought it would be more appropriate, and easier to make up a new imaginary layer of time. An outer layer of time. A time that our universe, as well as our observer would undergo. This way we can still use our time-dependent words, and simply clarify to which layer of time they refer. And note that whether or not such a layer of time actually exists, has no bearing on the correctness of our discussion. See it as a simple trick of words, a method to use limited vocabulary, to make concepts more clear. For practical reasons, I would suggest simply putting an index 1 or 2 respectively for inner layer of time and outer layer of time after each time-dependent-word. To get familiar with the trick, I'll write down a few sentences testing this method out.

"Today2 our observer's curiosity made him watch our universe yet again2. He was2 particularly intrigued with this one human in the universe, looking at that humans beginning1 and end1 at the same time2. He watched it for more then an hour2 noticing all the little details; how the human was first1 thin at it's beginning1, and then1 becomes wider2 (=grew taller1) throughout the remainder1 of his life."
More about this is found on my website in the link in my signature.

So now, if we look at the argument against predestination again, and apply these indexes, we find the flaw of the counterargument quite rapidly:
The choice I will1 make in the future1, is already2 known by our creator before? I even had the time1 to make it.
I've put an index of question mark after "before". The word is making a chronology between the secondary layer "already known" and the primary layer "had the time". So you see, it is not I who made any assumptions, it is the counterargument that is flawed by wrongful chronology.

Translated: We can assume that causality works fine inside distant stars, but because we don't know everything that goes on inside a person's head and noone has explicitly shown it then it makes sense that causality does not exist there.
Again you've completely missed my point. I am not questioning whether choices are in a sense causal or not. I am simply showing how the causality doesn't strip the choice of being free. For all we know our will might be the very thing that causes the effect, and thus causality would include our free will!

Translated: God just knows what's going on, I don't know how he knows and nor has anyone presented credible evidence that he even exists so I can say what I want about his attributes.
That is completely backwards, and if I might add, very unfair of you to say. First of all, I never claimed that God is "proven", neither do I have to in order to defend the idea. When in defense, it's sufficient to simply defeat the counterarguments. The counterargument goes that since God knows, he is responsible. This is a slippery slope. The counterargument rests on the assumption that predictability indicates something is not "free". I'm inclined to disagree. But regardless, your representation is inaccurate since it is again the counterargument that relies on assumptions and not the concept.

MustafaMc
04-29-2008, 12:05 PM
I believe that we humans have the free-will to make an intention for an action, but success or failure comes from Allah in accordance with His Will. That is why we Muslims say "Insha'Allah" (Allah willing) when we say that we are going to do something. I may have the intention to go to the grocery store to get a gallon (3.8 liter) of milk, but my destiny may be to die in a car crash on the way to the store, or I may be able to make the trip and return safely home. We have the free-will to make intentions and act toward their achievement, but we don't control the outcome. We also have the free-will to respond and to react to what happens to us according to our own choices.

For example, I strive my best to develop superior cotton varieties that out perform the competition, but I sincerely believe that my success or failure in that endeavor comes but from Allah. Alhamdulillah, To Allah belongs the Praise, forever and forever, Amen.

barney
04-29-2008, 01:34 PM
I believe that we humans have the free-will to make an intention for an action, but success or failure comes from Allah in accordance with His Will. That is why we Muslims say "Insha'Allah" (Allah willing) when we say that we are going to do something. I may have the intention to go to the grocery store to get a gallon (3.8 liter) of milk, but my destiny may be to die in a car crash on the way to the store, or I may be able to make the trip and return safely home. We have the free-will to make intentions and act toward their achievement, but we don't control the outcome. We also have the free-will to respond and to react to what happens to us according to our own choices.

For example, I strive my best to develop superior cotton varieties that out perform the competition, but I sincerely believe that my success or failure in that endeavor comes but from Allah. Alhamdulillah, To Allah belongs the Praise, forever and forever, Amen.
To this effect, you could remove the brake-pads from your car, looosen the wheelnuts cover the tyres in grease, begin your journey blindfolded through a minefield and make sure your speed dosnt drop below 90 MPH whilst steering the car with your foot. And if Allah willed it, you would be fine.

It brings the question, why bother doing anything. God will sort it out...or he wont.
The Jehovas Witnesses and Christadelpians apply to this school of thought.
One of their young Mums refused a blood transfusion to save her life only 3 weeks back. She thought God diddnt want her to mix blood, and that he would sort it out if he was willing. Well strangly, over the tears and gritted teeth of the Doctors, she diddnt recover. God hadnt willed it. How very, very strange.

- Qatada -
04-29-2008, 02:48 PM
To this effect, you could remove the brake-pads from your car, looosen the wheelnuts cover the tyres in grease, begin your journey blindfolded through a minefield and make sure your speed dosnt drop below 90 MPH whilst steering the car with your foot. And if Allah willed it, you would be fine.

And there are situations in which believers have had to do similar to this out of necessity, and they placed their trust in their Lord.

Generally, we do all we have control over as humans and then place our trust in Allah. As the famous hadith goes "tie your camel, and then place your trust in Allah."

We do what we have control over, and then we leave what we don't have control over in the trust of Allah.

IbnAbdulHakim
04-29-2008, 02:51 PM
the thread title is

"is God the best planner"

im asking who else can possibly plan what is beyond our control?

barney
04-29-2008, 03:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
the thread title is

"is God the best planner"

im asking who else can possibly plan what is beyond our control?
The alternative is nobody. Things just happen.
If I want to jump up and run around quacking like a duck now I can. It's my free will. If a Bus falls on my head, perhaps it fell out of a very large transport aircraft that had structural failure. It's all completly based in physics and the thought processes of people.
The bus diddnt fall because I quacked. God diddnt drop it. The poor quality control at the factory dropped it along with the flight engineers who said it was safe to carry.

IbnAbdulHakim
04-29-2008, 03:10 PM
The alternative is nobody. Things just happen.
If I want to jump up and run around quacking like a duck now I can. It's my free will. If a Bus falls on my head, perhaps it fell out of a very large transport aircraft that had structural failure. It's all completly based in physics and the thought processes of people.
The bus diddnt fall because I quacked. God diddnt drop it. The poor quality control at the factory dropped it along with the flight engineers who said it was safe to carry.
no matter what happens you can never go to the root without going to an all-powerful mover. Nothing moves without a beginning. A ball will just sit there until you set it in motion.

If he who sets the beginning to motion isnt in control, then this world would be far worser then it is now and i have no doubt about that.

Azy
04-29-2008, 03:11 PM
Hi Azy
Hi,
I may have been a bit flippant and I'm sorry about that.
My main point is this:
Free will cannot exist alongside causality if we take them both in the strictest sense.
As you said, our brains are just biochemical machines, albeit very complex machines. As far as we know causality does not stop between people's ears, so it would seem reasonable as with any other situation that the outcome is determined by the initial conditions.
If the initial conditions are the same (and I mean exactly the same) then you should get the same outcome, the same thoughts produced by the brain, the same decision regardless of how many times you ran through the scenario.
This would mean free will does not exist if the functions of your brain are deterministic.

If your brain functions are not deterministic then we are all essentially playing god and creating something from nothing, effects without causes.

جوري
04-29-2008, 04:24 PM
Hi,
I may have been a bit flippant and I'm sorry about that.
I know the post isn't addressed to me, but I do like that you are shifting gear.. it shows growth or at least trying to relate though not agreeing with members!

cheers

snakelegs
04-29-2008, 06:08 PM
And there are situations in which believers have had to do similar to this out of necessity, and they placed their trust in their Lord.

Generally, we do all we have control over as humans and then place our trust in Allah. As the famous hadith goes "tie your camel, and then place your trust in Allah."

We do what we have control over, and then we leave what we don't have control over in the trust of Allah.
do you know what hadith this is? i've heard that saying for years (and liked it), but never knew where it came from.

format_quote Originally Posted by - MustafaMc
this is a good attitude to take - this way you will never become arrogant and smug. i try to approach life this way, but don't always succeed.

chacha_jalebi
04-29-2008, 06:46 PM
sister snakey i heard that hadiths from Hadhrat Anas Ibn Malik andd in the hadiths collection by Tirmidhi!!

snakelegs
04-29-2008, 08:51 PM
thanks. if anyone knows the exact hadith, please post.

barney
04-29-2008, 09:45 PM
One day Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) noticed a Bedouin leaving his camel without tying it and he asked the Bedouin, "Why don't you tie down your camel?" The Bedouin answered, "I put my trust in Allah." The Prophet then said, "Tie your camel first, then put your trust in Allah" (At-Tirmidhi).

Thats the best i can do Snakes.

MustafaMc
04-30-2008, 03:21 AM
I sense that you are making fun of me, but then again I made a wisecrack about your bath time. Payback is HeII, huh?
It brings the question, why bother doing anything. God will sort it out...or he wont.
I don't think that I presented a fatalistic perspective. I strive to my utmost toward my life goals, but I believe that Allah grants or denies my success according to His Will. An example, my first year in college I had only about a 2.7/4.0 average, but after that I adjusted and started making 3.8-4.0 every semester. I calculated exactly how many hours (19 I think) that I need to take and make straight A's in order to graduate Magna Cum Laude. I studied and tried my very best, but I ended up making a B in perhaps my easiest class - a 1 hour Geology lab. My final average was a 3.595 over more than 130 college credits and I graduated only Cum Laude. I believe that it happened as Allah Willed. Perhaps, it was a dose of humility served over rye. Funny, but of all of those classes, I remember that stupid class the best. For a fossil collection, my mom went with me on a fossil hunting trip to Alabama and I found a shark tooth.
One of their young Mums refused a blood transfusion to save her life only 3 weeks back. She thought God diddnt want her to mix blood, and that he would sort it out if he was willing. Well strangly, over the tears and gritted teeth of the Doctors, she diddnt recover. God hadnt willed it. How very, very strange.
I have not heard of this way of thinking from my Muslim brothers and sisters-in-faith.

MustafaMc
04-30-2008, 03:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
thanks. if anyone knows the exact hadith, please post.
I have heard the phrase, but I couldn't find a specific reference. This thread mentions it though. http://www.islamicboard.com/prophet-...tml#post929730

barney
04-30-2008, 04:23 AM
I sense that you are making fun of me, but then again I made a wisecrack about your bath time. Payback is HeII, huh?.

No No, I wasnt making fun, sorry if it looked that way. :(

I was just saying in my own way, how much responsibility for our fate do we pass on to allah?
In your case, if you had studied every spare moment of your time , your grade would have been better. Perhaps not a A++++ but the more you put in, the better the result.

If you had spent the whole of the study time playing Tony Hawk: Steet Skater on the XBOX 360, then turned up for the exams, would that increase the likelyhood it was Allah's will that you failed? :)

snakelegs
04-30-2008, 05:04 AM
I have heard the phrase, but I couldn't find a specific reference. This thread mentions it though. http://www.islamicboard.com/prophet-...tml#post929730
thanks! i hadn't seen that thread.

north_malaysian
04-30-2008, 05:47 AM

JD7
Was Joseph Smith a descendant of Abraham?:blind:

aamirsaab
04-30-2008, 09:20 AM
:sl:

Isn't there a scientific theory that says: everything that happens is supposed to happen? In which case, science just aided the fate/God argument.

Azy
04-30-2008, 09:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Was Joseph Smith a descendant of Abraham?:blind:
How would you show that he wasn't if it came to that?
Isn't there a scientific theory that says: everything that happens is supposed to happen? In which case, science just aided the fate/God argument.
If there was a scientific theory that helped prove fate/God then I'm sure we'd know about it.

I've pretty much got used to being ignored but if you look back a few posts Abdul Fattah and myself were talking about determinism. This is probably as close as you're going to get to fate, in that it holds the future to be predictable as all events are part of a big chain reaction governed by the laws of nature and causality. If anything it makes God obsolete, at least in a day-to-day sense.

aamirsaab
04-30-2008, 10:05 AM
If there was a scientific theory that helped prove fate/God then I'm sure we'd know about it.
Ha, that is a point. I'll have to do some more reading on this apparent theory though - I'm sure it is actually a theory but oh well.

I've pretty much got used to being ignored but if you look back a few posts Abdul Fattah and myself were talking about determinism.
I didn't want to interrupt the discussion - the knowledge that was being expressed went over my head so I just let you two discuss the topic.

This is probably as close as you're going to get to fate, in that it holds the future to be predictable as all events are part of a big chain reaction governed by the laws of nature and causality. If anything it makes God obsolete, at least in a day-to-day sense.
Hmm, interesting. But my cynical side is saying there is something fishy...ahhh I'll return to this thread at a later point. My head hurts :exhausted

Azy
04-30-2008, 10:24 AM
I didn't want to interrupt the discussion - the knowledge that was being expressed went over my head so I just let you two discuss the topic.
I didn't mean anything like that :( I love you ;)

Abdul Fattah
04-30-2008, 11:02 AM
Hi Azy, I agree with you that a causal brain would imply predestination. But I do not agree that such a case refutes the existence of free will. See causality means every event is in a chain. Say for example, (A) => (B) => (C); where (A)= environment; (B)=will; (C)=(re)action. If I understand your argument correctly, what you're saying is that since every will (B), has an environment (A) that causally precedes it, it is actually the laws of nature that cause you to act (C); and not your own will (B).

First of all, our knowledge of the brain, as well as our limited knowledge of physics is at this point simply to limited to know if every will (B) is indeed preceded by a causal environment (A). Or if it depends on that freely. Maybe (A)+(B1)=>(C) whereas (A)+(B2)=>(D)! In other words, there is absolutely no proof at all that our will is caused strictly by our environmental impulses or or genes.

Second of all, even if it is 100% causal, then that still doesn't mean our will cannot be free. See you are assuming that if (A)=>(B); (B) cannot be free because the correlation is intrinsic. By that I mean, I believe that u assume that the physical laws which facilitate the correlation of causality is an intrinsic law of the environment (A). This may sound a bit abstract, so I'll elaborate. If we examine nature's forces, we have absolute no clue as to why they do what they do. For example, we know that gravity is a force linked to mass. That objects with mass attract one another, but we do not know why they attract one another. We don't know what causes the causality between the events in the first place. Personally, I believe that Allah (subhana wa ta'ala) constantly enforces these laws of nature. So several scenarios could be suggested:
Scenario one: A very small amount of your choices are free, the majority are strictly causal, but a few life-changes choices are not. In other words a handful of choices at certain key-moments in your life could determine all your further choices down the road. Then Allah (subhana wa ta'ala) occasionally changes the methodology of enforcement of these causal laws to accommodate your choices. We'd have to be monitoring people's brains 24/7 to actually know whether or not this is the case. Of course you can make a test subject decide whether they'd like coffee or tea to drink. But it'd be nearly impossible to enforce a key moment unto your test subject to make him make a life-determining choice. And even if you would, the success of the experiment wouldn't be guaranteed. Say for example that such a rare "free" choice has two outcomes depending on your soul where one uses the default causality, and the other would require an alternative one, then the success of detecting this would not only depend on our ability to create a situation where the subject makes a key-decision, but also on which course the subject actually decides.
Scenario two: Allah (subhana wa ta'ala) has balanced out the universe in such a way to accommodate our every choice we will make. In other words, he has managed to let the universe as well as our bodies run parallel to fit our choices as we observe them.
I do realize these scenarios might seem far fetched -specifically to an atheist-. However, in this debate I do not require you to accept these scenario's. The simple recognition of their possibility should be sufficient to render your argument inconclusive; albeit a seemingly far fetched possibility to you. However to me these scenario's seem perfectly plausible. See as you might have guessed from my previous posts, I'm an eternalist and enduralists; meaning I believe in the theory of eternalism and objects enduring through time (as opposed to the theory of presentism and persistence over time). And I believe in these things because they seem the best compatible with general and special relativity. These believes however imply that cognitive, awareness, or the notion of presentness is a separated agent from the physical body that travels trough our four-dimensional bodies. Therefor the notion of a stage universe running parallel to our souls and free will doesn't seem that far fetched anymore.
(for more about eternalism and endurance/persistance trough/over time look at my website or buy the book: "Fourdimensionalism, an ontology of persistence and time." by Theodore Sider.

Abdul Fattah
04-30-2008, 11:14 AM
Hi barney
Faith can have many levels. For example a person could be expecting the unexpectable by faith (like hoping to be cured without treatment). Or on the other hand a person could stop fearing the unexpactable to happen by faith (like stop watching the skys just in case a bus would drop down). For me personal, faith means neither of those two. For me having faith in God means that wheter or not the expectable happens, I have faith that it will be eventually in my best interest. I don't quite see how that ties in with the topic though. Having faith in Allah (subhana wa t'ala) is supposed to be about the things that are beyond your control or about the end results of your actions, not about your free will or about your actions themself. (Which you yourself illustrated with the hadeeth of the man with the camel)

MustafaMc
04-30-2008, 11:51 AM
But it'd be nearly impossible to enforce a key moment unto your test subject to make him make a life-determining choice. And even if you would, the success of the experiment wouldn't be guaranteed. Say for example that such a rare "free" choice has two outcomes depending on your soul where one uses the default causality, and the other would require an alternative one, then the success of detecting this would not only depend on our ability to create a situation where the subject makes a key-decision, but also on which course the subject actually decides.
This comment brought back a memory on this subject.

I believe that what happens to us and the choices presented to us are beyond our control (destiny), but our responses and decisions are our own responsibility (free-will). Going back to college, during my junior year I was in a 2-bed dormitory room without a room mate. After a short time another student knocked on my door and asked if he could share my room. You might ask, "What is the big deal about that?" Well, the date was January 1981 immediately after the embassy hostage crisis and the other student was an Iranian. I had no influence upon this student knocking on my door that day, but had I said, "No" (the predictable answer), I might not be a Muslim today. However, Allah could have provide other opportunities to expose me to Islam had He so willed.

MustafaMc
04-30-2008, 12:25 PM
No No, I wasnt making fun, sorry if it looked that way. :(
Well, I would have deserved it for my earlier post.:-[
I was just saying in my own way, how much responsibility for our fate do we pass on to allah?
In your case, if you had studied every spare moment of your time , your grade would have been better. Perhaps not a A++++ but the more you put in, the better the result.
No, I did my absolute best. However, my course load sometimes forced my to prioritize what I studied more and I assumed that I could easily handle that class. I seriously doubt that this "B" meant one iota to my life and the subsequent opportunities that I have had. The only thing it affected was my pride and ability to brag about my high honors at graduation.
If you had spent the whole of the study time playing Tony Hawk: Steet Skater on the XBOX 360, then turned up for the exams, would that increase the likelyhood it was Allah's will that you failed? :)
No, this is not my perspective on the Foreknowledge of Allah. It has more to do with accepting what happens to me as being according to the Will of Allah and not questioning why or cursing Him because something bad has happened to me.

Azy
04-30-2008, 04:47 PM
Hi Azy, I agree with you that a causal brain would imply predestination. But I do not agree that such a case refutes the existence of free will. See causality means every event is in a chain. Say for example, (A) => (B) => (C); where (A)= environment; (B)=will; (C)=(re)action. If I understand your argument correctly, what you're saying is that since every will (B), has an environment (A) that causally precedes it, it is actually the laws of nature that cause you to act (C); and not your own will (B).
More to the point, (B) that which we call will is simply a causally determined chemical process and that which we call choice being an illusion created as a by-product of that process.

You seem to want will to be separate from the brain and from the environment, an independent driver of choices that determine our paths, but that feels a bit too much like wishful thinking to me since there is no real reason to believe that our minds are not subject to the same rules as the rest of the universe.

Abdul Fattah
04-30-2008, 05:37 PM
More to the point, (B) that which we call will is simply a causally determined chemical process and that which we call choice being an illusion created as a by-product of that process.
I realize that is your claim yes, however that isn't proven at all. This is just your interpretation.

You seem to want will to be separate from the brain and from the environment, an independent driver of choices that determine our paths, but that feels a bit too much like wishful thinking to me since there is no real reason to believe that our minds are not subject to the same rules as the rest of the universe.
If you had read my post more carefully you would have realized that "our brain being different from the rest of the universe" is not a requirement for my viewpoint. I understand my posts are long but some things can't be explained in 2 sentences.

Azy
05-01-2008, 10:48 AM
I realize that is your claim yes, however that isn't proven at all. This is just your interpretation.
My claim is simply that the laws of physics are applicable to the molecules that make up your brain, I don't see why that requires any interpretation that hasn't been considered and accepted a million times already.
If you had read my post more carefully you would have realized that "our brain being different from the rest of the universe" is not a requirement for my viewpoint. I understand my posts are long but some things can't be explained in 2 sentences.
What you seem to be implying is that brain activity is a product of your will, not that your will is a product of brain activity. You seem to accept that our brain processes are causal except for a few arbitrarily important moments when God steps in and the laws of physics are put on hold while you make a truly free choice.
Also when a choice is made, God changes the rules of causation to suit what you have decided.

Well you weren't wrong when you said it might seem far fetched.

You called me up on the fact that we haven't proven causality holds true in all places at all, but that isn't how science works is it? What matters is that it has never been proved to be false despite attempts to do so.

I'm not sure whether you believe your proposals can ever be shown to be true or even that they are falsifiable. It would be great if you could put forward just one case that would lead us to suspect your ideas could be a reasonable explanation.
Otherwise this is turning into a logic defying argument that has no point since we could just argue anything if we make the assumption of a boundless external intelligence who watches all and guides some while leaving no trace.

AvarAllahNoor
05-01-2008, 11:41 AM
I don't think that Islam holds that "his plans went awry and Muhammad's revelations had to come". In Islam we believe that every single leaf that falls from a tree was anticipated, not a grain of sand exists or God knows about it. So he knew exactly what would happen. The previous prophets (peace be upon them) were not a failure. They were prophets (peace be upon him), each send to a specific group of people. Prophet Muhammed (peace be upon him) was sent not because plans went wrong, but his coming was planned all along.

Every prophet was given miracles, so that the people would know he is genuine. The miracles of the prophets (peace be upon him) who were sent to a specific group of people only appealed to them. Healing the sick for example, would convince those that witness it, but is of little convincing powers to us now. That is because we don't witness the miracle. At best we could believe the witnesses. But that isn't very convincing. However that is not an issue, like I said those prophets (peace be upon him) were send to a specific group of people in a specific time. That is what sets Muhammed (peace be upon him) apart from the others. He was send as a prophet to all of mankind. And among the miracles sent to him, one of them (the Qur'an) is still witnessable today. You can no longer witness the people healed by Jesus (peace be upon him) but you can still witness the miraculousness of the Qur'an.

To be honest I haven't studied Mormonism in depth. I used to be agnostic/atheistic. At one point in my life I started reading the Qur'an, and I converted afterwards because I was convinced by it's miraculous properties.
Dhan Dhan Guru Nanak Dev Ji Sahib was sent for all mankind too (He had miraculous powers, which were NEVER used to prove to people he was a Messiah). Hence his missions to Tibet, Saudia Arabia, Then in 1500, he embarked on his Divine Mission and went towards east, west, north and south and visited various centers of Hindus, Muslims, Buddhists, Jainis, Sufis, Yogis and Sidhas. He met people of different religions, tribes, cultures and races. He travelled on foot with his Muslim companion named Bhai Mardana, a minstrel. His travels are called Udasis. In his first Udasi (travel), Guru Nanak covered east of India and returned home after spending about 6 years. He started from Sultanpur in 1500 and went to his village Talwandi

Guru Nanak, Guru Ji undertook five missionary journeys (udasiya) to the far away places of Ceylon (Sri Lanka), Mecca, Baghdad, Kamroop (Assam), Tashkand and many more. Guru ji travelled far and wide to spread the word of Gurbani and covered most of India, present day Bangladesh, Pakistan, Tibet, Nepal, Bhutan, South West China, Afganistan, Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Syria, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, and Kyrgyzstan.

Rome - Vatican has documents of his arrival.

Abdul Fattah
05-01-2008, 03:41 PM
Hi Azy
My claim is simply that the laws of physics are applicable to the molecules that make up your brain, I don't see why that requires any interpretation that hasn't been considered and accepted a million times already.
No, both our knowledge of the brain as well as our knowlegde of physics is at this point still to limited. Think about electrons in quantum mechanics for example. Some believe their behavior is completely random (without a cause) other scientists believe that there is a cause behind it that we fail to understand. I'm neutral towards each possibility, but the point remains, until we have deeper knowledge of such things, as well as for example the influence they have on the outcome of our decisions, we cannot make any conclusive claims.

What you seem to be implying is that brain activity is a product of your will, not that your will is a product of brain activity.
Yes that is a perfectly plausible scenario, because like I said we know to little of either the brain or physics to reach any conclusions.
You seem to accept that our brain processes are causal except for a few arbitrarily important moments when God steps in and the laws of physics are put on hold while you make a truly free choice. Also when a choice is made, God changes the rules of causation to suit what you have decided.
This is another second scenario. Not my personal favorite, bus still a possibility that renders your assumption inconclusive.

The third possible scenario, where the universe runs parallel so that our bodies would match our desires is the one I am personally inclined to

You called me up on the fact that we haven't proven causality holds true in all places at all, but that isn't how science works is it? What matters is that it has never been proved to be false despite attempts to do so.
No that's not what matters here. You seem to miss the entire point here. First of all, we're not clear on whether or not our brain is completely causal. In the case it isn't, that ends your argument completely. In the case the brain is causal, I have still brought up three possible scenarios that defeat your argument. Unless you can deny those scenario's, your argument again fails. Not only that, but only one of the three scenario's (the second) requires a deviation from regular causality. And if that scenario would be true, all our attempts would have failed either way. So no, what you have brought up there doesn't matter at all.

I'm not sure whether you believe your proposals can ever be shown to be true or even that they are falsifiable. It would be great if you could put forward just one case that would lead us to suspect your ideas could be a reasonable explanation.
Since it's your argument on the line, the burden of proof if yours. See if I were to come to you and say: "this is how the brain works". Then the burden of proof is upon me. However it's the other way around:
*) You're coming to me telling me: "this is how it works".
*) Then I'm replying to you: "well that isn't proven"
*) To which you in return reply: "Well how could it not be anything but this?"
*) To wish I bring hypothetical scenario's that show: it doesn't necessarily have to be in your proven way.
*) And know you're telling me, that unless I can prove these hypothetical scenarios that your (unproven!) viewpoint should be taken as default????

By what authority is your view better then mine?

Otherwise this is turning into a logic defying argument...
Not a single thing within my arguments defies logic. Please refrain from such judgmental comments. Your viewpoint seems as illogical to me as my viewpoint might seem to you. But to me my, viewpoint seems perfectly logical, just as I assume that to you your viewpoint seems perfectly logical. I used to be an atheist who debated -just like you- that there is no free will. But logical reasoning changed my position, even before I reverted to Islam! So again, by what authority is your viewpoint better then mine?

...that has no point since we could just argue anything if we make the assumption of a boundless external intelligence who watches all and guides some while leaving no trace.
Oh that's golden, so you're telling me that the only way to make sense of an argument that contradicts free will which in turn contradicts God; is if your starting position is that there exists no God? So by your own logic, all arguments against free will and God are circular. Truth is, this debate isn't turning into anything different, it has been like that from the start on since your opening argument is biased by your paradigm (just as my counterarguments are biased by my paradigm). The only thing that's changing is your realization of this mutual antagonistic bias, not the conversation itself.

Hi AverAllahNoor
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
Dhan Dhan Guru Nanak Dev Ji Sahib was sent for all mankind too .... Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, and Kyrgyzstan.

Rome - Vatican has documents of his arrival.
1. All you seem to be able to prove (in that post) is that this person actually existed, not that he was a genuine prophet.
2. Do you have a point, or simply rising to the occasion to propagandize your views?
3. Isn't this completely of topic? Please use the proper thread for the proper message.

Chuck
05-01-2008, 10:28 PM
Doesn't make sense esp. with my experience with AI. AI app can freely choose among choices available to it with the mechanical processes behind its make. You are assuming chemical or mechanical process some how eliminates choice/freewill.

barney
05-01-2008, 10:36 PM
New Tangent.

The Nights Journey.
Mohammed went several times back and forth to Allah to renegotiate the number of prayers, each time turned back by moses, each time getting a better deal.

It's my suggestion that unless Allah planned this all ahead for an unknown reason,(and i suspect that will be the answer from the Muslims), that Gods initial plans cant have been planned that well, if two Human's (One in his forties and one dead for 2400 years) change his mind, not once but multiple times.

Abdul Fattah
05-02-2008, 12:07 AM
New Tangent.

The Nights Journey.
Mohammed went several times back and forth to Allah to renegotiate the number of prayers, each time turned back by moses, each time getting a better deal.

It's my suggestion that unless Allah planned this all ahead for an unknown reason,(and i suspect that will be the answer from the Muslims), that Gods initial plans cant have been planned that well, if two Human's (One in his forties and one dead for 2400 years) change his mind, not once but multiple times.
Yeah you're correct the muslim interpretation has always been that it was Allah (subhana wa ta'ala) his intention in the first place to have it lowered. One of the reason why he did this was perhaps so we would know that the numbers of prayers are actually a mercy to mankind (as opposed to a more stricter larger number which would be the default)

barney
05-02-2008, 02:47 AM
Similarly, in the OT, God is apopleptic with rage and is about to destroy the Israelites. Moses calms him down and he changes his mind. He actually says "i'm gonna destroy them" and Moses argues the toss about how that wouldnt mesh with the mercy and justice thingy. God changes his mind...as he had apparently planned, in Christian thinking, and lets them live.
This happens all over Exodus. Stuff like God or an angel wrestling Issac and dislocating his hip in an all night fight that Issac wins. God must have planned to lose the fight, which is a bit WWF for me.

AvarAllahNoor
05-02-2008, 02:50 PM

Hi AverAllahNoor

1. All you seem to be able to prove (in that post) is that this person actually existed, not that he was a genuine prophet.
2. Do you have a point, or simply rising to the occasion to propagandize your views?
3. Isn't this completely of topic? Please use the proper thread for the proper message.
Perhaps, but I'm taking the opportunity to reveal a Prophet after Mohammed appeared. He existed, and yes he was a Prophet. Do some research if need be!

Abdul Fattah
05-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Hi barney
I guess we should allow Jews and Christians to answer that one, since Muslims question the authenticity of such details in the first place.

Hi AvarAllahNoor;

Perhaps, but I'm taking the opportunity to reveal a Prophet after Mohammed appeared. He existed, and yes he was a Prophet. Do some research if need be!
My point was that this isn't the place for you to propagandize your religion and viewpoints. I think there is enough liberty for you to express your views in the appropriate threads, a lot more freedom then you would find on other religious forums. There's no need for you to try and expand that freedom by going of topic in threads like this one.

barney
05-02-2008, 03:27 PM
[QUOTE=Abdul Fattah;935950]Hi barney
I guess we should allow Jews and Christians to answer that one, since Muslims question the authenticity of such details in the first place.
="Red"]

Yeah, I'm aware of that :) it was directed towards any veiwing.

Azy
05-02-2008, 10:47 PM
Hiiii Steve

Let's get back to basics here. Neurology doesn't make the slightest bit of difference to this argument. The molecular building blocks of your brain are governed by the same laws that govern everything else.

The only assumption I am making is that the fundamental forces continue to act as they always have been observed and proven to do.

If you're arguing that the actions of the weak nuclear/electromagnetic force are different (or overridden completely) inside the human brain the onus is on you to propose a reasonable explanation and a way to test it.
Think about electrons in quantum mechanics for example. Some believe their behavior is completely random (without a cause) other scientists believe that there is a cause behind it that we fail to understand.
Probably the most complete description of quantum theory so far is Bohmian mechanics, which is essentially deterministic. Quantum events certainly appear random, and even if they were, does that actually aid your case in any way? That our thoughts would be based on random processes and not directed in any meaningful sense doesn't seem to tally with the idea of reasoned willful decision making.
Yes that is a perfectly plausible scenario, because like I said we know to little of either the brain or physics to reach any conclusions.

This is another second scenario. Not my personal favorite, bus still a possibility that renders your assumption inconclusive.

The third possible scenario, where the universe runs parallel so that our bodies would match our desires is the one I am personally inclined to
Since what we're really looking for is a logical conclusion based on the available evidence, I'd say these were a bit weak since:
1) There's no logic here
2) There's no evidence either
No that's not what matters here. You seem to miss the entire point here. First of all, we're not clear on whether or not our brain is completely causal. In the case it isn't, that ends your argument completely. In the case the brain is causal, I have still brought up three possible scenarios that defeat your argument.
Determinism is the basis of scientific observation as otherwise consistent experimental outcomes would be impossible and we do get consistent outcomes. Over millions of experiments (except at the quantum scale) the laws of physics have been seen to produce deterministic results and there isn't any compelling reason to believe that they don't.

Even if we assume that quantum mechanics is based on random processes, our choices are either a determined events ruled by deterministic laws or random events.
The fact that science sees the possibilities as either deterministic or random does not help your case at all. There is no scientific discussion over which circumstances God deems fit to change causality or alter time.

Abdul Fattah
05-02-2008, 11:39 PM
Hi Azy

Let's get back to basics here. Neurology doesn't make the slightest bit of difference to this argument. The molecular building blocks of your brain are governed by the same laws that govern everything else.
There's more to neurology then simply chemistry of molecules. Take memories for example. We have absolutely no idea how they are stored in the brain; but it is however obvious that they can play significant roles in our choices. So far the best that we have been able to do is see that certain memories are correlated to certain areas. We know that we build neural networks, which rely on impulses (which is why I brought up quantum physics rather then chemistry).

The only assumption I am making is that the fundamental forces continue to act as they always have been observed and proven to do.
No the assumption you're making is that these fundamental forces are the sole responsible for the outcome, that's a whole different thing then saying that the process of will works with fundamental forces.

If you're arguing that the actions of the weak nuclear/electromagnetic force are different (or overridden completely) inside the human brain the onus is on you to propose a reasonable explanation and a way to test it.
Like I already demonstrated, I do not have to prove that. Since it's your argument on the line, the burden of proof lies with you. The mere possibility of the option renders your argument inconclusive, to safe your argument from inconclusiveness, you'd have to either prove your view or disprove all alternative options. To suggest that your point of view should be valid even without proof unless I bring evidence is absurd, not to mention arrogant.

Probably the most complete description of quantum theory so far is Bohmian mechanics, which is essentially deterministic. Quantum events certainly appear random, and even if they were, does that actually aid your case in any way?
Bohmian mechanics are build on the assumption that there are hidden variables that govern particles. Assumptions assumptions assumptions...
As for your question, I'm neutral towards whether or not they are actually causal or random, and My viewpoints of free will are compatible with either case. However in the case that it is indeed random (meaning it has no physical cause) then yes your argument is completely destroyed.

That our thoughts would be based on random processes and not directed in any meaningful sense doesn't seem to tally with the idea of reasoned willful decision making.
They could have spiritual cause as opposed to physical cause.

Since what we're really looking for is a logical conclusion based on the available evidence, I'd say these were a bit weak since:
1) There's no logic here
2) There's no evidence either
There is no evidence for either your nor mine viewpoint. As for logic, like I said you are as much biased as I am. And I hold that my viewpoint is more logical then yours. But such a debate is completely futile. You cannot weigh of one paradigm against the other. To even suggest to do so shows that you have a very narrow minded view.

Determinism is the basis of scientific observation as otherwise consistent experimental outcomes would be impossible and we do get consistent outcomes. Over millions of experiments (except at the quantum scale) the laws of physics have been seen to produce deterministic results and there isn't any compelling reason to believe that they don't.
Well stick to the lesson please, I have always claimed that there is predestination, and thus there is strict determinism. The only thing we disagree on is what determines what. Be carefull not to fight strawmen arguments.

Even if we assume that quantum mechanics is based on random processes, our choices are either a determined events ruled by deterministic laws or random events.
Like I said a few paragraphs before, you're completely ignoring the possibility of a spiritual cause.

The fact that science sees the possibilities as either deterministic or random does not help your case at all.
It doesn't necessarily help mine, but my point is it doesn't help you either. Science is completely neutral in the debate on free will since "will" is something that is for the moment not covered by science. It is still in the "unknown". So you can't use science to tell whether or not it is free. You're whole argument is build on assumptions.

There is no scientific discussion over which circumstances God deems fit to change causality or alter time.
That's irrelevant. Whether or not there is ground for something to be within the realm of science has no bearing on whether or not it is actually true! There is no scientific discussion about whether or not willpower is free or not either. However you seem to have a hard time accepting that.

Azy
05-03-2008, 04:42 PM
[BANANA]Hiii Steeeve[/BANANA]
There's more to neurology then simply chemistry of molecules.
There is more to computer science than the chemistry of molecules. Your friend Chuck made an interesting statement, he seems to believe that by giving them a sufficiently complex program that he has embued his electronics with a soul or some such capable or making decisions independent of it's physical being.
The mere possibility of the option renders your argument inconclusive, to safe your argument from inconclusiveness, you'd have to either prove your view or disprove all alternative options.
All 'truths' of science are tentatively true allowing that one day they may be proven false. However, that doesn't give you a licence to put forward anything you can think of without so much as a shred of reasoning behind it and say that it's a valid alternative.
Bohmian mechanics are build on the assumption that there are hidden variables that govern particles.
It makes predictions about these things and these predictions are borne out by what we actually see.
Bohmian mechanics and the Many Worlds interpretation are the two strongest alternatives for a solid quantum theory, both have support from experimental evidence and are both deterministic.
As for logic, like I said you are as much biased as I am. And I hold that my viewpoint is more logical then yours. But such a debate is completely futile. You cannot weigh of one paradigm against the other. To even suggest to do so shows that you have a very narrow minded view.
Well let's be honest, you did lead me on a bit attempting to logically infer something based on assumptions that we do not and possibly can not know.

You're right we cannot argue these two things against each other, but you have to admit that one of the two has done a lot of explaining over the years and one has seen it's scope dwindle.
Like I said a few paragraphs before, you're completely ignoring the possibility of a spiritual cause.
What good would recognising it do? There is no way to test this and there are no observations that suggest it might be plausible.
That's irrelevant. Whether or not there is ground for something to be within the realm of science has no bearing on whether or not it is actually true! There is no scientific discussion about whether or not willpower is free or not either. However you seem to have a hard time accepting that.
While it has traditionally been the territory of theologians and philosophers, it would be a mistake to think that there is no scientific debate on the subject.

Chuck
05-03-2008, 09:22 PM
There is more to computer science than the chemistry of molecules. Your friend Chuck made an interesting statement, he seems to believe that by giving them a sufficiently complex program that he has embued his electronics with a soul or some such capable or making decisions independent of it's physical being.
What that suppose to mean? You are mixing lot of things here 'soul' and 'making decisions independent of its physical being.' Where did you get all that from? I only pointed out that having processes doesn't eliminate free choice among different alternatives. So in your opinion there should no chemical or/and mechanical processes for an entity to have free choice?

barney
05-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Just to point out we do have a very clear idea how memory is stored in the brain. The repeated use of neural pathways, burning a channel which enables future recollection to be enhanced.

Abdul Fattah
05-04-2008, 12:52 AM
Hi azy
I would tend to disagree with him, although I respect his viewpoint.

All 'truths' of science are tentatively true allowing that one day they may be proven false. However, that doesn't give you a license to put forward anything you can think of without so much as a shred of reasoning behind it and say that it's a valid alternative.
No no, that is completely irrelevant. Let me put it this way: we haven't found any cause of our will. In other words, we don not know what causes it. You're assuming that it is a simple reaction to environmental impulses trough the classical causal laws. I hold that the environment has no major determining effect in it (even though it can guide will to some extend). Neither of these two views are scientific. Neither of these two views are based on empirical testing. Neither of these two views are falsifiable or tested. Yet you claim that your view should be the default scientific view? Based on what? Like I said, this is just your interpretation of how the brain works, science is at this point still very neutral towards how things actually are.

It makes predictions about these things and these predictions are borne out by what we actually see.
Bohmian mechanics and the Many Worlds interpretation are the two strongest alternatives for a solid quantum theory, both have support from experimental evidence and are both deterministic.
You missed the point. I said bohemian science is based on the assumption there are hidden variables. Since we don't know these variables, or don't know what causes them, all bets are off. So you cannot claim that will is a direct result of physics laws.

Well let's be honest, you did lead me on a bit attempting to logically infer something based on assumptions that we do not and possibly can not know.
I did no such thing, I merely showed you why your argument is logically flawed. I didn't infer; and I didn't base my case on any assumptions, I merely showed you the flaws in your logic.

I'll make you an analogy:
If I say: all beabeabea's are boobooboo's therefore, all boobooboo's are beabeabea's.
You could reply: no, maybe there are also boobooboo's that aren't beabeabea's.
I would then not be able to discredit your counterargument by saying: you're leading me on to assume that there exist something which we cannot know. It's not a matter of what we know and don't know, it's a matter of the argument being logically flawed.

You're right we cannot argue these two things against each other, but you have to admit that one of the two has done a lot of explaining over the years and one has seen it's scope dwindle.
No I wouldn't admit such a thing at all. You make it seem like this is religion vs. science. but that's not what it is at all. Instead it's your paradigm based on your assumptions vs. my paradigm based on my assumptions. Like I said, science is completely neutral in this.

What good would recognising it do? There is no way to test this...
What good would it do? well very simple, it shows your argument is flawed. There is an alternative option that your logic fails to exclude. Hence your whole argument falls apart. And so what if you cannot test that? That doesn't mean it's not possible. As long as it is possible you should keep it into consideration when making any "proofs" that there is no free will. IF you fail to do that, your argument is flawed because it assumes that a certain possibility is not the case.

and there are no observations that suggest it might be plausible.
Yes there are, observation of special relativity suggests 4dimensionalism, which like I stated earlier makes my alternative view very plausible.

While it has traditionally been the territory of theologians and philosophers, it would be a mistake to think that there is no scientific debate on the subject.
No science only deals with explaining reactions, since we haven't found any thing that could physically cause our will, it is not within the realm of science.

Trumble
05-04-2008, 09:37 AM
Just to point out we do have a very clear idea how memory is stored in the brain. The repeated use of neural pathways, burning a channel which enables future recollection to be enhanced.
We have no plausible description in scientific terms of what memory even is. We don't have a satisfactory explanation of mental representation (i.e how any cognitive event can mean something in the terms of the external world), and don't look like getting one any time soon. Without those things the most neurophysiology can claim is 'repeated use of neural pathways', etc, etc might have have something to do with it. That is hardly a 'very clear idea' of how the mechanism works.

No science only deals with explaining reactions, since we haven't found any thing that could physically cause our will, it is not within the realm of science.
Agreed. The 'scientific' position on this question amounts essentially to no more than believing a purely materialistic/reductionist explanation to be possible. Even then, the free will v. determinism question is likely to still be there. Quantum mechanics has been introduced as a possible route (due to elements of 'randomness') that might allow 'free will' in an otherwise deterministic universe but even if one interpretation or other of QM could be 'proven' correct there is still a whole metaphorical universe between that and applying it to the problem of free will, or even any sort of cognitive event.

Muslim Knight
05-04-2008, 10:41 AM
Not necessarily. What we have is selective memory. A person may totally forget what he had just read numerous times previously the day before, but remembers a distant childhood event which may have happened only once in his entire 25 years of life.

Scientists still could not explain the brain memory function entirely. They are baffled at the fact that why the brain decides which information to keep or discard. We can try to improve our memory by repetitive tasks, but the brain is autonomous in this case.

Abdul Fattah
05-04-2008, 01:49 PM
Hi barney, I overlooked your post before, so here's a late response =)
That hardly explains how we store memories. At best what we have found is that somehow this neural network is related to our memories. We don't know though how this relation works. Does having a memory induce these currents trough the network or the other way around does an induced current cause the memory. And how does each synapse store it's memory? How is a specific point in the network charged with a value? For example, how does this network store "the color blue" or "the term ambiguous" and "last night's dinner"? I think you start to catch my drift by now, the neural network doesn't explain at all how the brain stores memories, it only explains how different memories work with each other, or in other words how the human mind makes associations between one stored memories and another.

Azy
05-04-2008, 11:23 PM
I would tend to disagree with him, although I respect his viewpoint.
I would tend to disagree, although I respect his right to have a viewpoint.
No no, that is completely irrelevant. Let me put it this way: we haven't found any cause of our will. In other words, we don not know what causes it. You're assuming that it is a simple reaction to environmental impulses trough the classical causal laws. I hold that the environment has no major determining effect in it (even though it can guide will to some extend). Neither of these two views are scientific. Neither of these two views are based on empirical testing. Neither of these two views are falsifiable or tested. Yet you claim that your view should be the default scientific view? Based on what?
Based on our knowledge of the basics rules that govern our universe and that we don't actually know of any reason why they would not govern our brains. No one has ever seen anything that contradicts this, so what exactly is it you have observed that gives you a reason to think it not only could be wrong but probably is wrong?
No I wouldn't admit such a thing at all. You make it seem like this is religion vs. science. but that's not what it is at all. Instead it's your paradigm based on your assumptions vs. my paradigm based on my assumptions. Like I said, science is completely neutral in this.
Well it is when you start saying "this isn't scientifically proven, logically this and this could happen" and then "hey, you haven't considered a spiritual cause". Does that not sound like science and religion to you?
What good would it do? well very simple, it shows your argument is flawed. There is an alternative option that your logic fails to exclude. Hence your whole argument falls apart. And so what if you cannot test that? That doesn't mean it's not possible.
It's not impossible that we're all avatars acting out the wishes of a race of invisible supersquids living under the surface of neptune, communicating their desires by superluminal telepathy.
That doesn't mean it would have any credibility, unless there was sufficient reason to think that it might be true, not just that it might be possible.
Yes there are, observation of special relativity suggests 4dimensionalism, which like I stated earlier makes my alternative view very plausible.
By your own reasoning science has no business with free will, so why start arguing this point?
Interesting debate

Chuck
05-05-2008, 10:54 AM
I would tend to disagree, although I respect his right to have a viewpoint.
This conversation is not making any sense. First you paraphrase me incorrectly, then he disagree, then you disagrees. You want to take the liberty to wrongly paraphrase me but you seem to be avoiding my question.

Abdul Fattah
05-05-2008, 11:37 AM
Hi Azy
Based on our knowledge of the basics rules that govern our universe and that we don't actually know of any reason why they would not govern our brains.
That is wrong, you keep saying that, but it's wrong wrong wrong. Just repeating the argument doesn't make it true! Like I said before. There's a difference between saying that you believe the brain works trough causal forces, and believing that these causal forces are directly responsible for our will. And like I said, my personal inclination is that there is actually causal processes in our brain. However you're not only assuming that there's causal relations in our brains, you're also assuming that our free will is a direct result of it! Basically that makes as much sense as saying: "we see that cars and houses and lakes and mountains and distant stars and galaxies don't have souls, so why would humans have a soul if we haven't found it anywhere else.

Well it is when you start saying "this isn't scientifically proven, logically this and this could happen" and then "hey, you haven't considered a spiritual cause". Does that not sound like science and religion to you?
No it doesn't sound like that at all. It sounds like "your interpretation of science vs religion" Because like we have all repeatedly said to you: science is completely neutral in this point. So it's never science vs religion. It's you trying to back your personal ideas and arguments up with science (but failing to do so).

It's not impossible that we're all avatars acting out the wishes of a race of invisible supersquids living under the surface of neptune, communicating their desires by superluminal telepathy.
There's a huge difference. I'm not making any assumptions whoms validity rely on whether or not the above is true. However you are making assumptions whoms validity rely on whether or not there could be a spiritual cause. And like I said, there are many indication of a spiritual soul, so your ridiculous analogy of the neptune creatures is highly inapt.

That doesn't mean it would have any credibility, unless there was sufficient reason to think that it might be true, not just that it might be possible.
So things can only be true if there's sufficient reason to think they are true. That's a very bold arrogant statement. there used to be a time when there weren't any reasons to think that the earth isn't the center of the universe. If people would have your attitude, we'd still be in those dark ages. Regardlessly, that's irrelevant, like I said, there are lots of indications of a soul.

By your own reasoning science has no business with free will, so why start arguing this point?
Again your many strawmen arguments could mean one of two things:
1. You're deliberately trying to make me look bad by making up strawmen-arguments.
2. You're not paying close attention to what I'm saying and just trying to "fight" anything that I post.

Anyway: no, by my reasoning science is still neutral since the indications we have are not conclusive, that however doesn't exclude that we do have indications of the existence of a soul. That also doesn't exclude indications towards a stage-universe trough which the souls traverse. In other words, there are indications that make my view a lot more plausible than yours.

No arguing by links please.

Hi chuck
don't worry, I didn't disagree with you just because he misquoted you. Rather I disagree because I think that any current forms of AI that we have are by design not build to be intelligent, but rather built to mimic human intelligence. So the AI lacks a cognitive factor. For example a chatbot doesn't respond in a certain way because he thinks that is intelligent, he simply does so because we programmed him to respond that way because the programmers think that such a response is an intelligent response. (Or in the case of a chatbot who learns, the people talking to him take function as "programmers"). Similar things can be said about other AI. Like program that makes abstract poetry, it reads articles online, and looks at which words are often combined in sentences and builds associations. So what it does, it's simply programmed to analyse intelligent writings, and copy that intelligence into abstract art. The program however doesn't make any statements or doesn't convey any feelings with his "art" as opposed to an artist. this cognitive factor is very crucial to "free will". Inserting randomness into a line of program may in a sense make the program "free" but it doesn't give the program "willpower".

Pygoscelis
05-06-2008, 08:29 PM
There is no such thing as free will. lawyers always charge for their services.

jd7
05-07-2008, 02:17 AM
Folks, thanks for the insights (work demands). I have only had time to barely scan them, I will do my best to study them.

If I have understood some of the replies correctly it is the preservation of the Quran is seen, by some, as the main reason to believe Islam/Quran to be devinely inspired?

JD7

Abdul Fattah
05-07-2008, 02:22 PM
hi
Folks, thanks for the insights (work demands). I have only had time to barely scan them, I will do my best to study them.

If I have understood some of the replies correctly it is the preservation of the Quran is seen, by some, as the main reason to believe Islam/Quran to be devinely inspired?

JD7
Not just the fact that it has been kept preserved, also it's miraculous characteristics. Although I should add, that most people generally also have personal reasons/experiences and emotional arguments rather then only theoretical reasons.

Azy
05-07-2008, 04:49 PM
Hi Steve
However you're not only assuming that there's causal relations in our brains, you're also assuming that our free will is a direct result of it! Basically that makes as much sense as saying: "we see that cars and houses and lakes and mountains and distant stars and galaxies don't have souls, so why would humans have a soul if we haven't found it anywhere else.
Well it's more like saying "we see that cars and houses and lakes and mountains and distant stars and galaxies all work by action of the laws of nature, so why wouldn't humans"
And like I said, there are many indication of a spiritual soul
Well it would have been incredibly useful if you'd brought this up earlier. Do you have a few that you could share with us?
So things can only be true if there's sufficient reason to think they are true. That's a very bold arrogant statement. there used to be a time when there weren't any reasons to think that the earth isn't the center of the universe. If people would have your attitude, we'd still be in those dark ages.
It's not a case of things not being true
if there isn't sufficient reason, it's about having a reason to accept new proposals as truth. If you can justify a new idea, fine, but if anyone can put forward anything and have it considered as a possible alternative then academia would just be a mindless frenzy.

Yes, there was a time when people thought that the earth was the center of the universe and no there weren't really any good reasons to think that it wasn't. In the main part folk thought that God made people special, so it made sense that we'd be at the centre of the universe, and even after there was a good reason to think the universe wasn't earth-centric people were still getting burnt as heretics.
No arguing by links please.
Since you're not going to acknowledge it I'll summarise.
Test subjects were given a choice of when to press a buzzer.
The subject registered a concious choice of when to press the buzzer, but the subconscious mind had already committed itself to starting a movement a good 2/3 of a second before.

Abdul Fattah
05-07-2008, 06:23 PM
Hi Azy
[QUOTE=Azy;938081]Well it's more like saying "we see that cars and houses and lakes and mountains and distant stars and galaxies all work by action of the laws of nature, so why wouldn't humans"[quote]
Not really, because I'm not saying that humans aren't following the law of nature, I'm saying that additionally to the normal default laws of nature the soul might also have an input. So I'm not contradicting that the normal laws of nature are the default ones.

Well it would have been incredibly useful if you'd brought this up earlier. Do you have a few that you could share with us?
You must have overlooked it then; no problem I'll repeat it:
Special relativity suggests four-dimensionalism; the theory that objects have 4 dimensions and persist over time rather then endure through time.
This theory in turn suggests that consciousness is a separate entity from our physical bodies, or in other words supports the mind-body duality.
Next to that, the theory also suggest that the universe is more like a "static 4D set of stages" rather then a dynamic 3D universe that moves over a 4th dimension. All movement is an illusion caused by our consciousness going from one 3d stage-segment to the next stage, much similar to how a film creates the illusion of movement by projecting one picture after another on a canvas.

It's not a case of things not being true
if there isn't sufficient reason, it's about having a reason to accept new proposals as truth. If you can justify a new idea, fine, but if anyone can put forward anything and have it considered as a possible alternative then academia would just be a mindless frenzy.
Like I said before, the mere possibility of an alternative being true renders your argument inconclusive. So even if you don't accept my alternative view (which I never asked you to do in the first place); that view still renders your argument as flawed. See the thing is, you're not just ignoring the alternative; your argument's validnesses relies on my alternative to be false! That's a whole different thing then. Because that means it no longer is a case of you not wanting to accept it as true because lack of proof (which is neutral, and I would understand), but rather it's a case of you wanting to accept it as false without anything rendering it false (which is biased)!

Yes, there was a time when people thought that the earth was the center of the universe and no there weren't really any good reasons to think that it wasn't. In the main part folk thought that God made people special, so it made sense that we'd be at the centre of the universe, and even after there was a good reason to think the universe wasn't earth-centric people were still getting burnt as heretics.
Nice to finally agree on something ^_^
So lets stop flaming my views and start agreeing to disagree, shall we?

Since you're not going to acknowledge it I'll summarise.
Test subjects were given a choice of when to press a buzzer.
The subject registered a concious choice of when to press the buzzer, but the subconscious mind had already committed itself to starting a movement a good 2/3 of a second before.
Interesting, but that poses many questions to the interpretation of the experiment. For example:

1. When something is subconscious, should that mean it's no longer our personal choice, or do we also have a free subconsciousness will?

2. Can our choices influence our future subconsciousness state? For example, if at one point of your life you consciously choose not to believe, would that make you subconsciously biased against anything religious?

3. How do you measure the time between our subconsciousness and our will? I mean, I understand how you measure between subconsciousness and consciousness. But the interpretation of the experiment, that subconsciousness precedes will is biased. It relies on the assumption that our consciousness creates the illusion of having free will. If it's the other way around, that our will creates our (physical) state of mind then that experiment doesn't contradict anything, in fact a sort of inertia would be perfectly natural and to be expected.

Azy
05-08-2008, 10:17 PM
Hi Steve
Not really, because I'm not saying that humans aren't following the law of nature, I'm saying that additionally to the normal default laws of nature the soul might also have an input. So I'm not contradicting that the normal laws of nature are the default ones.
The point being that noone has ever seen any reason to think the soul has an input, or even show that a soul exists and what it might be.
Special relativity suggests four-dimensionalism; the theory that objects have 4 dimensions and persist over time rather then endure through time.
This theory in turn suggests that consciousness is a separate entity from our physical bodies, or in other words supports the mind-body duality.
Next to that, the theory also suggest that the universe is more like a "static 4D set of stages" rather then a dynamic 3D universe that moves over a 4th dimension. All movement is an illusion caused by our consciousness going from one 3d stage-segment to the next stage, much similar to how a film creates the illusion of movement by projecting one picture after another on a canvas.
Yeah, but perdurantism or 4-dimensionalism doesn't really say anything about consciousness does it. And to think you laid into me about quantum determinism not being 100%.
I think you might have to be a bit more specific about how special relativity leads onto a discussion about the human consciousness and a soul, because I looked through the maths and I couldn't see it.
Like I said before, the mere possibility of an alternative being true renders your argument inconclusive. So even if you don't accept my alternative view (which I never asked you to do in the first place); that view still renders your argument as flawed.
Possibilities do not render arguments inconclusive. My squid scenario is possible but that doesn't mean anyone should take it seriously without good reason. There are trillions of possibilities for any situation, but we have to make certain assumptions about what we already know for things to make sense. Tomorrow gravity might stop working the way it does, or perhaps Elvis is asleep in my bed. Maybe I have a nuclear weapon in my basement.

All possible and all completely meaningless as I just conjured them up. They don't have any bearing on the actual state of the world. I wouldn't expect everyone to start bolting down their possessions on my say-so.
1. When something is subconscious, should that mean it's no longer our personal choice, or do we also have a free subconsciousness will?
Would you consider deliberation over choices a subconscious event, I personally wouldn't.
2. Can our choices influence our future subconsciousness state? For example, if at one point of your life you consciously choose not to believe, would that make you subconsciously biased against anything religious?
I don't know about that specific example but yeah, conditioning does happen all the time.

3. How do you measure the time between our subconsciousness and our will? I mean, I understand how you measure between subconsciousness and consciousness. But the interpretation of the experiment, that subconsciousness precedes will is biased. It relies on the assumption that our consciousness creates the illusion of having free will. If it's the other way around, that our will creates our (physical) state of mind then that experiment doesn't contradict anything, in fact a sort of inertia would be perfectly natural and to be expected.
Correct me if I'm wrong but what you seem to be suggesting is that free will does not require any conscious decision making by the subject.

Abdul Fattah
05-09-2008, 12:51 AM
Hi SteveThe point being that noone has ever seen any reason to think the soul has an input, or even show that a soul exists and what it might be.
There's plenty of reasons to think the soul gives input, just not any reasons you're willing to accept. I can understand that, however that still means your biased, and of story.

Yeah, but perdurantism or 4-dimensionalism doesn't really say anything about consciousness does it.
Yes it does, if our bodies are fourdimensional, then why is our conciousness only "present" in one 3d-segment at the time. Why do we remember the events from the past but not from the future. If you ponder on these things from a 4dimensionalism perspective, then it becomes obvious that our conscousness is a seperate entity from our 4d-body

And to think you laid into me about quantum determinism not being 100%.
What's your point?

Possibilities do not render arguments inconclusive.
They do when argument preassumes that the posibility does not exist in the first place! I've already showed you how the squid thing is different because nobody is building arguments relying on those theories being true or untrue.

Would you consider deliberation over choices a subconscious event, I personally wouldn't.
I think choices can be made both conscious or subconscious. I don't see how one would be less free then the other. People have control over their subconsciousness, the control just isn't direct but rather indirect.

I don't know about that specific example but yeah, conditioning does happen all the time.
yeah, and if conditioning is by choice, then in a way even choices that seem predetermined by subconsciousness could be conditioned first by free will.

Correct me if I'm wrong but what you seem to be suggesting is that free will does not require any conscious decision making by the subject.
I don't think that is a necessary requirement, no.

Azy
05-12-2008, 01:55 PM
There's plenty of reasons to think the soul gives input, just not any reasons you're willing to accept. I can understand that, however that still means your biased, and of story.
If it's scientific I can accept it, if it's outside that scope then sorry you're right, at the moment I'm not willing to.
Yes it does, if our bodies are fourdimensional, then why is our conciousness only "present" in one 3d-segment at the time. Why do we remember the events from the past but not from the future. If you ponder on these things from a 4dimensionalism perspective, then it becomes obvious that our conscousness is a seperate entity from our 4d-body
There is nothing in SR or 4-dimensionalism that is specific to people or consciousness.
I think choices can be made both conscious or subconscious. I don't see how one would be less free then the other. People have control over their subconsciousness, the control just isn't direct but rather indirect.

yeah, and if conditioning is by choice, then in a way even choices that seem predetermined by subconsciousness could be conditioned first by free will.
So you wouldn't consider reasoning out a decision in your conscious mind a result of free will but rather an indirect result of some free subconscious process?

Abdul Fattah
05-18-2008, 10:42 AM
Hi Azy, sorry for the late reply, as you might have noticed I haven't been on this site for a couple of days.

If it's scientific I can accept it, if it's outside that scope then sorry you're right, at the moment I'm not willing to.
So if the strength of your argument against free will relies on your own ill will to accept it's flaws, as you admit, then for what reason should we accept your argument? Basically you're saying that if it's not scientific it's not worth considering. I think that's inappropriate especially in a field where science is unable to convince us in either way.

There is nothing in SR or 4-dimensionalism that is specific to people or consciousness.
I never said it is "in" those theories, I said it's a direct result of those theories.

So you wouldn't consider reasoning out a decision in your conscious mind a result of free will but rather an indirect result of some free subconscious process?
That's not what I said. The way I see it; part of our conscious decisions are free and part of them are not. And similarly part of our subconscious decisions are free and some of them are not. I don't see why things have to be black or white as you put it. There will obviously often be a correlation between subconscious and conscious, but that correlation may be different from what you (or that biased interpretation of the experiment for that matter) suggest it to be. Like I said before, the only thing scientific we know is that there are correlation. But with knowledge of these correlations we do not know the nature relations! We do not know which effect which or in what manner, or if both are simultaneously related to a third.

Azy
06-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Hi Azy, sorry for the late reply, as you might have noticed I haven't been on this site for a couple of days.
Me too it's been a bit busy round here lately :/
So if the strength of your argument against free will relies on your own ill will to accept it's flaws, as you admit, then for what reason should we accept your argument?
No one has shown that there are any other mechanisms at work here. I don't mean speculation, verifiable mechanisms.
Basically you're saying that if it's not scientific it's not worth considering. I think that's inappropriate especially in a field where science is unable to convince us in either way.
Science is a method we use to make deductions about the world through systematic means. If it is outside science, and thus unverifiable by our mechanisms, then how would or could we consider it?
I never said it is "in" those theories, I said it's a direct result of those theories.
Under normal circumstances everything around you will experience the same way, there is nothing suggested or implied or following on from those theories that you could single out as applying only to the human brain and not to a rock or a computer.
That's not what I said. The way I see it; part of our conscious decisions are free and part of them are not. And similarly part of our subconscious decisions are free and some of them are not. I don't see why things have to be black or white as you put it. There will obviously often be a correlation between subconscious and conscious, but that correlation may be different from what you (or that biased interpretation of the experiment for that matter) suggest it to be. Like I said before, the only thing scientific we know is that there are correlation. But with knowledge of these correlations we do not know the nature relations! We do not know which effect which or in what manner, or if both are simultaneously related to a third.
The problem I have is with saying "we don't know the exact processes" and then "so let's suggest an unverifiable non-specific mechanism that we have never observed directly or indirectly and give it a level pegging alongside the fundamental forces of nature as a reason for consciousness and will".

Yes with science we only have correlations, but that's still more than any other hypothesis that has been put foward.

arabianprincess
06-05-2008, 02:50 AM

theres a difference btw knowin wat u ll chooose n not forcin you to choose it .. he knows wat u will choose but doesnt interfere in ur choice .. u get the point.:enough!:

Abdul Fattah
06-06-2008, 04:29 PM
Hi Azy

So if the strength of your argument against free will relies on your own ill will to accept it's flaws, as you admit, then for what reason should we accept your argument?
No one has shown that there are any other mechanisms at work here. I don't mean speculation, verifiable mechanisms.
That doesn't cut the mustard Azy. Were your position defensive/neutral, where you claim that you don't believe in free will due to lack of evidence in favor of free will, then I would accept this reply. But your former argument was not defensive/neutral but negative/offensive where you claimed that you concluded free will does not exist based on scientific findings. In other words, my point from the start has been, that you should allow "free will" the benefit of the doubt since science in inconclusive on whether or not it exists, and you cannot go around saying that science denies the existence of free will.

Basically you're saying that if it's not scientific it's not worth considering. I think that's inappropriate especially in a field where science is unable to convince us in either way.
Science is a method we use to make deductions about the world through systematic means. If it is outside science, and thus unverifiable by our mechanisms, then how would or could we consider it?...
+
... The problem I have is with saying "we don't know the exact processes" and then "so let's suggest an unverifiable non-specific mechanism that we have never observed directly or indirectly and give it a level pegging alongside the fundamental forces of nature as a reason for consciousness and will".
Don't get me wrong I do understand very well the benefits of a scientific methodology in theory, however we have to face the reality that this method of investigation has practical limitations. At some points certain theories and hypothesis become way to complex and/or abstract to test trough scientific methodologies. If I understood you correctly, what you seem to be suggesting is that we should simply ignore all those things. Thats a very narrow-minded ignorant position (no offense intended) to simply ignore certain possibilities simply because it is not testable within a certain method of investigation. If I could make an analogy, say there is an investigator looking for a murderer. The first thing to do would be to check for certain classical things, forensics clues, people with motives, alibis and so on. If those leads all end up cold, some investigators might pursue other more unusual clues and methodologies to find the culprit. In the same way I respect your position where you say that the first methodology to understanding the universe should be science. However I don't agree with your position that you should end there and ignore any theory when science ends up being inconclusive, and simply ignore everything else. It is true that different evidence in a murder case will hold different strengths in a courtroom; but that shouldn't stop detectives from pursuing any possible lead. And then finally, to end the analogy; when you say that free will doesn't exist because you lack scientific evidence of it, is similar to saying that a suspect wasn't the killer because the investigator didn't find any proofs. Thats a flawed conclusion, a slippery slope. It could be that he was the murderer after all, but simply didn't leave any clues, or that he did leave them but the detectives overlooked them. A good investigator will always have an open mind towards this.

Yes with science we only have correlations, but that's still more than any other hypothesis that has been put foward.
No, not at all. These correlations are completely neutral. You claim that they support your contra-free-will-position, but I might as well say the correlations support my pro-free-will-position. The only thing scientific is the correlation itself; all the rest (your contra-position and my pro-position) is not science, but instead it is interpretation of science.

Under normal circumstances everything around you will experience the same way, there is nothing suggested or implied or following on from those theories that you could single out as applying only to the human brain and not to a rock or a computer.
That's where I disagree. There is a huge compatibility problem with the human brain and four-dimensionalism. A rock or computer doesn't have any consciousness. And thats a huge difference. Let my try one last time to explain the indications of this because I think you have missed my point:

1. Relativity of time suggests that objects experience time at a different rate depending on their velocity and that thus time is relative.
2. General Relativity of time suggests eternalism; the philosophical theory that different and far away eras in time (i.e: the past and future) are equally real and existing as the present similar to how different, and far away places are equally real as your current.
In fact the word "suggest" is a bit to weak here. It's a quite strong presumption for relativity to work without extra sub-theories.
3. Eternalism suggests four-dimensionalism, the theory that all objects have four dimensions. This means that an object, like say: "your body"; exists out of a sum of temporal parts. Your 3D body exists out of different parts like your right foot, left food, hand, torso and so on. And in a similar way does your 4D body exist out of "time-segments" like the part of your body that is 2y old, the part of your body in puberty and so on. All these 3D parts form a much bigger 4D object. This part is crucial to special relativity. If objects are not four-dimensional, then any object that travels trough time at a different rate, would be disconnected from the rest of the universe as it is pushed into a different "time-zone".
4. A four-dimensional body suggests that our consciousness is separate from our body. This because unlike our 4D body (which is stretched out over our past, present and future) our consciousness seems to be existing in the present only! Therefor by occhams razor, the most logical explanation would be that our body and our consciousness are two different things. This philosophically proves that there exists a mind-body duality.

Of course, I gladly admit that proving mind-body duality does not equal to proving the existence of free will. It is however a huge paradigmatic step forward towards free will when you compare this view of the body and mind interaction to the more classical/causal view of the brain.

Azy
07-18-2008, 09:56 AM
Hi Steve, sorry about the looong delay.
But your former argument was not defensive/neutral but negative/offensive where you claimed that you concluded free will does not exist based on scientific findings.
My position essentially is neutral, I never said there were scientific findings that disprove free will, or that directly prove determinism in the human brain (I'm pretty sure there'd be ethical mountains to climb before there was such experimentation). There are findings like the one I posted which suggest determinism but are far from concrete, but these aren't a basis for my opinion just something I found which seems to support it. I just don't see why I should give the benefit of the doubt to something that has never been demonstrated anywhere, nevermind in the human brain. If someone could show that such non-random prime movers exist in our universe that would help the free will case.
Don't get me wrong I do understand very well the benefits of a scientific methodology in theory, however we have to face the reality that this method of investigation has practical limitations. At some points certain theories and hypothesis become way to complex and/or abstract to test trough scientific methodologies. If I understood you correctly, what you seem to be suggesting is that we should simply ignore all those things. Thats a very narrow-minded ignorant position (no offense intended) to simply ignore certain possibilities simply because it is not testable within a certain method of investigation.
Do we have another method of investigation we can use to gain reliable answers?
If I could make an analogy, say there is an investigator looking for a murderer. The first thing to do would be to check for certain classical things, forensics clues, people with motives, alibis and so on. If those leads all end up cold, some investigators might pursue other more unusual clues and methodologies to find the culprit.
I like your analogy, but I think it might have a couple of problems.
You said yourself that evidence will hold different strengths, but you don't follow through with that. If it transpired that the only evidence in a murder trial was the testimony of a psychic then the case would get thrown out. Even if we were to assume that psychic powers were possible but beyond our detection there is no way we could verify the conclusion that results from it. We would be unable to tell whether the psychic just made it up because she didn't like the suspect or was just having a bad day. I don't know about you but I wouldn't like to be convicted on the basis of that evidence.

when you say that free will doesn't exist because you lack scientific evidence of it, is similar to saying that a suspect wasn't the killer because the investigator didn't find any proofs. Thats a flawed conclusion, a slippery slope. It could be that he was the murderer after all, but simply didn't leave any clues, or that he did leave them but the detectives overlooked them.
This helps nicely to illustrate my point.
If there were no clues left, or they were not discovered by the detectives, then why is this person a suspect?.
4. A four-dimensional body suggests that our consciousness is separate from our body. This because unlike our 4D body (which is stretched out over our past, present and future) our consciousness seems to be existing in the present only! Therefor by occhams razor, the most logical explanation would be that our body and our consciousness are two different things. This philosophically proves that there exists a mind-body duality.
I don't see how that follows.. in a 4 dimensional world your brain and it's effects would have a sequence of spatial and temporal parts, and at each point in the sequence the spatial parts would experience the time associated with it i.e the present.

Abdul Fattah
07-19-2008, 01:10 AM
Hi Azy,
About your position being neutral, I'm sorry I must have misread your initial post. my bad =)
Free will cannot exist alongside causality if we take them both in the strictest sense.
As you said, our brains are just biochemical machines, albeit very complex machines. As far as we know causality does not stop between people's ears, so it would seem reasonable as with any other situation that the outcome is determined by the initial conditions.
If the initial conditions are the same (and I mean exactly the same) then you should get the same outcome, the same thoughts produced by the brain, the same decision regardless of how many times you ran through the scenario.
This would mean free will does not exist if the functions of your brain are deterministic.

If your brain functions are not deterministic then we are all essentially playing god and creating something from nothing, effects without causes.
So in what way is this neutral? :p

Do we have another method of investigation we can use to gain reliable answers?
Well I already admitted in my analogy that not all methods hold up the same strength. You replied that I don't follow trough with that analogy, but I actually do. I do recognize that different methodologies do not give the same guarantee of reliability. However, the reason I still find them important despite that is that in some fields reliability simply cannot be guaranteed, so if in such a field you only consider things that can be guaranteed you remain ins a narrow minded status quo. So what I am pleading for is not for people to see different methodologies as equal with science. Instead what I plead for is that people consider different methodologies, and that they keep in mind that each methodology has its weaknesses and benefits. I'm also saying that we shouldn't compare one methodology to another as inferior/superior. What is superior by one criteria can be inferior by another criteria. For example, science is superior to philosophy in terms of reliability, but it is inferior to philosophy since it is so narrow and confined to material interactions only. So each methodology has its own benefits downsides that make it more/less appropriate to be used in a specific area of expertise. Let me try another analogy: Lets say that a sociologist comes us with an explanation about certain human behavior, and he backs that up with sociological explanations. A biologist might reject the theories saying: well it's not scientific, you haven't shown me any proofs from biology that humans do indeed behave like that because of this and that reason. Although the biologist is technically right, he's being unfair towards the sociology. Because his very objection suggests that sociology is inferior to biology, probably because it's more reliable. But on the other hand, an economist might actually hold sociology as superior over biology, since sociology is much more pragmatic and informs him of which market is most profitable.

This helps nicely to illustrate my point.
If there were no clues left, or they were not discovered by the detectives, then why is this person a suspect?.
A good detective suspects everyone until they can be excluded. It's called open-mindedness :)

I don't see how that follows.. in a 4 dimensional world your brain and it's effects would have a sequence of spatial and temporal parts, and at each point in the sequence the spatial parts would experience the time associated with it i.e the present.
Yes, someone else mentioned this alternative to me in between this post and my last. I have since then reconsidered the fact. Of course I have to admit this alternative strips my argument from being conclusive, nevertheless I still favor my view for numerous reasons. A copy paste from my website:

Although I recognize and acknowledge the alternative, I remain reluctant to accept it. I have plenty reason for that, I shall begin by showing my reason for my inclination against it, starting from strong to weak, and finally finish by showing why Ockhams razor isn't able to defend the alternative.

1. Flaw of illusion of continuity.
I explained in the previous sections, how movement is an illusion created by the succession of alternated positions. So it is only logical that defenders of the alternative would use my own argument against me, and say that likewise the continuity of consciousness is an illusion by the succession of altered consciousness. However, there's a kink in the cable there. The reason that movement could very well be an illusion brought by the succession of parts with altered positions relies on the succession of observation of those parts. If consciousness itself persists, then the theory would break down. What keeps our observations together? Well I'm anticipating that opponents would suggest the following reply to this problem:
"Every observation is stored into the brain, and at any instant our consciousness is affected by this while it is generated. So the illusion of succession is created by the chronological storage of events within our memory."
Now, although I have to grant that this possibility is possible, I don't consider it very plausible. The brain works with a neural network. Memories are not preserved in chronological order within it. People might store dates and reference in time, but the memories aren't classified by time. So piecing together chronology would be quite a challenging puzzle for our subconscious. Therefor the suggestion that our notion of continuity is constantly being caused by the instantiation of a consciousness which relies on the chronology of our memories is very unlikely simply because memories aren't stored chronologically.

2. Psychological relativity of passage of time and observational relativity of passage of time.
I've already explained how time is relative according to Einsteins relativity theory. However relativity of time can refer to two other types of relativity. Based on our constant passive passage trough in time, mankind has become able to somewhat estimate lengths of time without equipment. However those estimations of time are often inaccurate by one of the following two reasons. The first one is psychological. A person who is exited probably feels as though time moves faster, as opposed to when he's bored and time appears to move slower. This will cause him to estimate exciting events as shorter then they actually were and boring events as longer. Another example of psychological influence is the age. If you ask a 5 year old to wait one year, it will seem much longer to him as opposed to asking a 50 year old person. The reason a year of time seems so much longer is simply a matter of proportions, to the 5 year old "a year" is a 5th of his current lifespan, whereas to a 50 year old, it is only a 50th of his total lifespan. Now I grant that proponents of conscious persisting over time, might use this in their favor. For they might claim this as an indication that an instantiated consciousness based on memory isn't that far fetched afterall. However, consider this: If time appears to go slower, simply because there are a lesser amount of memories during a dull event to mark the passage of time, then how do you explain spacing out? As I explain in the page about my story I frequently experience moments where I am indulged into thought. One thought triggers the other, and before I have realized it, hours can have passed while it seemed as just a few minutes. If our concept of time and continuity trough time really is generated by the instantiation of consciousness based on memories, then a length of time which is crammed by a whole range of different meaningful thoughts should appear to be longer then it actually is, as opposed to appear shorter. No, to me it seems mush more plausible that our estimation of time comes from a conscious judgment rather then the other way around, our consciousness depending on an estimation of time.

This is illustrated far more by a third relativity of passage of time. Next to Einsteins relativity of time, and psychological estimations of time, there is a third kind of relativity of time. The neurological relativity of time. Our brain is dependent on impulses, these impulses however aren't always going at the same speed. Certain substances can speed up or slow down their speed. When they are slowed down, we would have a different estimation of time, however we would still have the same amount of memories! See slowing down the process of storing memories doesn't alter the number of memories that we store, it simply delays them.

3. Necessity and uselessness of consciousness.
If our consciousness is constantly instantiated and then evaporates, if it is a side effect and not a self-pertaining can it influence or manifest a will? I hold that under this view, consciousness is completely and utterly useless. Then I wonder, why do we have it? Both creationists and evolutionists would struggle to answer, a God wouldn't have created it if it was useless, and evolution wouldn't have favored it if it was useless. Perhaps some might say it was simply a side-effect. Again, I'm forced to grant the possibility although I find that very implausible.

4. Lucid dreams.
I personally have lucid dreams, since childhood on. Only recently though, I have become aware with the technical term. For those who are unfamiliar with the term, a lucid dream is a dream where you are aware of your dream environment. A dream where you are aware that you are in fact dreaming. Now there are a few things to note about. First of all let us consider the difference in memories of dreams and actual events. Although we are not always lucid in our dreams, we are usually able to distinguish our dreams from our real life when we are awake. That means memories of dreams are stored differently as opposed to memories of real events. Another indication for this, all of your senses are different in your dreams to. You don't actually hear with your physical ears, or see with your eyes when you are dreaming. The impulses are not generated from these organs. Now I think it would be quite a stretch to argue that despite of this difference in storage, our instantiated consciousness is affected by it all the same. In case the proponents would argue that lucid dreams are a side effect of a sort of malfunction of the brain, where it stores memories on the wrong location; I would reply that that is unlikely due to the fact that there are many training techniques to increase the chance of having lucid dreams. And all of these techniques are very simple things, focussed on awareness, not the kind of thing that would mess up your hardwiring.
Yet another interesting thing to consider, is how one can become lucid during dreams. Most of the time, I have become lucid due to reality checks. To give an example; the other day I dreamed it was the first day of school after a vacation period. I arrived at school and after a short reception, while it struck me odd that everybody left, I checked my watch to discover it was only 6:30. Way to early for school. But wait a minute, if it's 6:30 now, then that reception would have been at 6 o'clock in the morning? Wait, maybe I'm dreaming then? As you can see, I became lucid because of the illogical chain of events. Now what's so interesting about it, is that i graduated several years ago. If I would have been able to remember just one of my memories from graduation, or anything past it, I would have immediately realized it was a dream, yet all the same I did have to rely on this complicated reality check. This is because during dreams, one doesn't have memories. If a consciousness would truly be generated based on the physical state of the brain, including it's memories, that would imply that memories are intrinsic to consciousness! A consciousness without memories is thus a rather challenging concept for that theory.
A third argument could be made, based on the premise that consciousness exists only in lucid dreams. Some might argue that even when you are not lucid, you still have a primitive form of consciousness, but most people see lucid dreams as a synonym for conscious dreams. Perhaps the difference of opinion lies in the semantical value of "consciousness". Either way, if only lucid dreams are conscious, it's interesting that they can be triggered by reality checks. If consciousness is a side effect of brain activity, like proponents of persistence of consciousness over time claim, then why can this side effect be "switched on" by a subconscious thought?
Perhaps more convincing, but at the same time more controversial are a very specific type of lucid dreams that I only had the pleasure of experiencing once: out of body experiences. The most distinctive about this experience was the wakening. My experience was stopped by my alarm clock. As I started to hear it in my dream, I realized immediately it was time to get up, since I was lucid. I felt myself move at very high speeds, and as I did the sound of the alarm became increasingly louder. Eventually the movement stopped and I regained control of my body. But regaining did not felt as an awakening at all. When I wake up from a regular lucid dream there are some differences. Just as awakening from regular dreams, you are somewhat drowsy and disorientated this was not the case in that one specific experience. A second difference is, that even when your dream is lucid, when you awake their is a lapse of consciousness. The continuity seems broken, however this didn't happen during the out of body experience.

5. Deja vu/flashback/vision.
This isn't really an argument in favor of my position, but still relevant enough to mention, since I will later refer to it while defeating the defense of the alternative by Ocham's razor. There are many theories attempting to explain phenomena like Deja vu's, flashbacks and visions. I'm not going to pretend I know which one -if any- of them is correct. The only reason I brought it up is to illustrate how these phenomena's can be explained a lot easier when consciousness is enduring trough time rather then persisting over time. These phenomenas would then be nothing more then asynchronous movement. I'm not claiming this to be an elegant explanation, just a simple one.

6. Problems with identity.
This also isn't really an argument, but just something I'd like the readers to take into consideration. And it isn't really anything that is unique for four-dimensionalism, because the consideration can easily be made without considering time. If at any time your consciousness is instantiated, that means each temporal consciousness exists on it's own. There is no connectivity between different consciousness except than that they are formed by temporal parts of the same four-dimensional body. But consider material nihilism for a moment. Material nihilism, by which mean that a body made up out of smaller parts isn't really an entity. We only define it as being a "thing" for practical reasons. The argument goes, matter is not fluent but exists out of compositions of smaller particles. These particles aren't truly linked to one another, instead they are held in position by force fields. One could argue the same is true not only for our spatial parts, but also for our temporal parts. Even more problematic for our concept of identity is that our particles aren't always our particles. Well that's not really accurate under the theory of four-dimensionalism, but let me explain what I mean. Consider the well known paradox of the ship of Theseus. A ship that's resting in the harbor decays, but its planks are constantly repaired by newer ones until eventually none of the original are left. The original planks aren't thrown away either, they are kept and reassembled as a new ship called "plank". Now the materialistic nihilism is the only that makes sense here. Considering the life of one plank, it's temporal parts from the past are part of the ship of Theseus, and it's temporal parts of the present are parts of the ship plank. Only this way does identity make sense. For years philosophers have defended the idea of identity by one last sacred part of our bodies, our consciousness. I think, therefor I am goes the popular argument. If however consciousness also persists over time, even that argument breaks down. Human kind would suffer some sort of identity crisis. Why feel bad of your past or work for a better future, when "you" exist in neither one of it. You are you only in the present, in the future another consciousness will take over, and you'll no longer exist. Now of course I grant, that however worrisome or threatening a theory might be we cannot exclude it's possibility on that basis if we honestly seek the truth. However, what we should consider, is that if consciousness persist over time, that means that concepts like regret, anticipation, hope, and any other though or feeling that indicates relationships between different consciousnesses out of different temporal body parts is also an illusion, or should I say delusion? Again I find it implausible that even that part of our minds is wrong about reality.

7. Defeat of Ockhams razor.
Ok, so having explained some of the problems I have with accepting the persistence of consciousness over time, let us consider if we can use Ockhams razor or not. The proponents of persistence trough time of consciousness could argue that consciousness as a side effect of brain processes is mush simpler then having to explain consciousness as a separate entity, which abides by a different set of natural laws. However proponents of endurance trough time of the consciousness could argue that although their opponents are right about a side affect being a simpler explanation than a separate entity, that the side effect-theory calls for several other complex explanations as explained in the 6 previous arguments, whereas in the separate entity explanation, all these other things are quite simple to explain. So looking at the bigger picture, a consciousness as a separate entity is actually a far simpler explanation. I find this another fitting example of how Ockhams razor is often flawed by bias. There are no criteria for weighing of the complexity of one theory against the complexities of another. So using Ockhams razor here does not follow the rules of logic. In stead all we can do is express our inclination, what we find most plausible, simply because it adds up in our paradigm.

Eeman
07-21-2008, 12:30 AM

JD7
:uuh: who is j smith??????????

Abdul Fattah
07-21-2008, 01:17 AM
Selam aleykum
Smith is believed to be a prophet in mormonism, the member's account has been disabled a while ago though, so he can't answer.

Azy
02-17-2009, 09:54 AM
Sorry for bringing this thread back up but there was one thing I intended to add a long time ago and my work prevented me from doing so. (Wonder if steve is still active ;) )
A good detective suspects everyone until they can be excluded. It's called open-mindedness :)
Everyone is a potential suspect. Only when there is evidence to link a person to the crime do they become a suspect.

Questioning all the 6 billion potential suspects along with the ones we have evidence against does not yield any useful information because without evidence against them we cannot know if they committed the crime (or the hypothesis is correct).

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.