/* */

PDA

View Full Version : All living things are made of water

crayon
04-20-2008, 04:51 PM
"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens and the earth were of one piece, then We parted them, and we made every living thing of water? Will they not then believe?" (49:10)

أَوَلَمْ يَرَ الَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا أَنَّ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضَ كَانَتَا رَتْقًا فَفَتَقْنَاهُمَا وَجَعَلْنَا مِنَ الْمَاء كُلَّ شَيْءٍ حَيٍّ أَفَلَا يُؤْمِنُونَ

Subhanallah.
Yet another proof that Allah alone is the author of the Quran, and knows things no human 1400 years ago could have known.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Whatsthepoint
04-20-2008, 06:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens and the earth were of one piece, then We parted them, and we made every living thing of water? Will they not then believe?" (49:10)

أَوَلَمْ يَرَ الَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا أَنَّ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضَ كَانَتَا رَتْقًا فَفَتَقْنَاهُمَا وَجَعَلْنَا مِنَ الْمَاء كُلَّ شَيْءٍ حَيٍّ أَفَلَا يُؤْمِنُونَ

Subhanallah.
Yet another proof that Allah alone is the author of the Quran, and knows things no human 1400 years ago could have known.
No living being consists entirely of water, nor was created entirely from water. It evolved in water and is still mostly water.
It depends on how you interpret the verse though.
I wonder if tehre is a living creature whose cells contain less than 50% water.

------
04-20-2008, 07:01 PM
:salamext:

^ Why do you insist on contradicting everything Islaam says?! Even when you know it's true?!

Whatsthepoint
04-20-2008, 07:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AhLÄÄM

^ Why do you insist on contradicting everything Islaam says?! Even when you know it's true?!
I'm not trying to contradict eevrything Islam says. It says good stuff for the most part. I'm just a bit skeptical about islamic miracles and everything related to them.
I think you know the verse is nothing special, it's just that you're a muslim and want it to be special, but deep inside you know the truth. Does this sound arrogant?:)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
------
04-20-2008, 07:09 PM

^ Yep it does. 1400 years ago, how would have people known everything was made from water? Unless a supernatural source told them?

Whatsthepoint
04-20-2008, 07:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AhLÄÄM

^ Yep it does. 1400 years ago, how would have people known everything was made from water? Unless a supernatural source told them?
It old you everything was not made of water.
Well, there was that greek guy who said it more than a 1000 years earlier.

crayon
04-21-2008, 12:02 PM
I understood the verse to mean that ever living thing contains water, which is correct.

"it's just that you're a muslim and want it to be special, but deep inside you know the truth."

Actually, it's more like you're muslim, you read this, and it strengthens your faith. Maybe if you don't believe that islam is the truth it's harder to grasp, or believe.

Silver
04-21-2008, 12:19 PM
:sl:
Water is the most abundant substance in living systems, making up 7o% or more of the weight of most organisms. The first living organisms doubtdless arose in an aqueous environment and the course of evolution has been shaped by the properties of the aqueous medium in which life began. (Lehinger Biochemistry, 4th edition)

piXie
04-21-2008, 12:40 PM
:sl:

:phew I could do with a glass of water right now

Abdul Fattah
04-21-2008, 12:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
No living being consists entirely of water, nor was created entirely from water. It evolved in water and is still mostly water.
It depends on how you interpret the verse though.
I wonder if tehre is a living creature whose cells contain less than 50% water.
The verse doesn't state that everything is made entirely out of water. So I don't see how any of that matters.

Whatsthepoint
04-21-2008, 05:22 PM
I understood the verse to mean that ever living thing contains water, which is correct.

"it's just that you're a muslim and want it to be special, but deep inside you know the truth."

Actually, it's more like you're muslim, you read this, and it strengthens your faith. Maybe if you don't believe that islam is the truth it's harder to grasp, or believe.
You can interpret the verse in many ways. I first saw it quite some time ago and I first thought it says all living things were created from water. It can also refer to living beings containing water, yeah.
The second part was actually a reply to Ahlääm's post which I found a bit arrogant.

Whatsthepoint
04-21-2008, 05:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Fattah
The verse doesn't state that everything is made entirely out of water. So I don't see how any of that matters.
that's right, it doesn't. It's possible to intepret it that way though.

Whatsthepoint
04-21-2008, 05:26 PM
so, what do you propose the verse actually says? That every living organism contains a lot of water, that life began in water...?

crayon
04-22-2008, 12:30 PM
Well, it could have said "and we made every thing from water", but it specified that it was only living things that were made out of water. Like I said it before, I understood it as saying that every living thing contains water. Looking at it from the other point of view, the question is: Is there a living thing that does not contain water? No. Which proves this verse to be correct, which I find miraculous. :]

Whatsthepoint
04-22-2008, 03:57 PM
Well, it could have said "and we made every thing from water", but it specified that it was only living things that were made out of water. Like I said it before, I understood it as saying that every living thing contains water. Looking at it from the other point of view, the question is: Is there a living thing that does not contain water? No. Which proves this verse to be correct, which I find miraculous. :]
A fair view!:)
I think the author of the Quran knew every living thing, which I guess in his time were animals and plants, required water to survive, so he made the verse about it. It's possible he deducted every living thing therefore contains water. Nothing miraculous in my opinion. He could have also thought every living thing was made from water, which is wrong.

Why is it that every miraculous verse has to be so ambiguous? If it said living beings contain water, lots of it, i'd probably be impressed. I don't mean to harm your religious felings, I think it's great you have reasons to believe, I just don't think the verse should be portryed as scientific.

crayon
04-22-2008, 04:59 PM
The quran was not meant to be a science textbook. Also, in this way, the verse can be interpreted in many different ways, which could all very well be true. It could mean, like I thought, that all living things contain water. It could mean that there is more water in a living organism than any other substance. It could mean that living things started out it water. All those are perfectly reasonable interpretations of the aya, and all of them are true (btw, clay is a bunch of clay material and water, so that interpretation does not contradict the fact that Allah created Adam from clay). So you've got several meanings all in 5 concise arabic words; quite awesome, in my opinion.

If the quran was going to be written like a science textbook, and include all those meanings it would be much longer, such as:
all living things contain water
there is more water in a living organism than any other substance
all living things started out it water.

And this is just talking about water, something that is mentioned one, or a few (not sure, exactly) times in the quran. Imagine every time Allah talked about the embryo or the heavens and earth he had to go through every single thing meant? The quran would go from being a book to being volumes and volumes; plus, it would turn into a textbook, which it wasn't meant to be in the first place. It is a science book, a history book, a theology book, a math book (if you consider the number miracles as math), a biology book, and I could just go on and on. With short, to the point ayas, Allah conveyed several meanings. Maybe that is why you find it ambiguous.

crayon
04-22-2008, 05:26 PM
and we made every living thing of water

No living being consists entirely of water
nor was created entirely from water.
Those 2, right?

For the first one, the verse did not say living things consisted entirely out of water, as Abdul Fattah pointed out. It also did not say that they were created solely from water.

all living things contain water- when you make something out of a substance, say using flour to make a cake, there remains some of that substance in the final product. using this logic, if water was used to create living things, water will remain in them.
there is more water in a living organism than any other substance- the verse did not say "we made every living thing of carbon" or "nitrogen". it said water, therefore, that would be the most important, or most abundant, substance in a living thing.
all living things started out in water.- "made of water" could mean that we used water to make living things.

But this could go on forever, I guess...:P

Wa Allahu A'lam, God knows best.

Just to add, if one is not sure of the meaning of a verse, it should be left to scholars. Interpretation of the quran is a whole science unto itself, and needs years and years of studying, and immersement in the material, before one attempt to assess what is meant by each verse oneself.

AntiKarateKid
04-22-2008, 09:31 PM
Did you ever wonder why the Allah says that these are signs for men of knowledge? It is because the believers, who are guided, recognize the truth and know it is from Allah. Disbelievers refuse to belive it unless it specifies the exact amount of water that we are made up of. Perhaps you need another line drawn for you from the verse to it's miraculous nature just like the google earth thread eh Whatsthepoint?

------
04-23-2008, 08:37 AM

I think the author of the Quran knew every living thing, which I guess in his time were animals and plants, required water to survive, so he made the verse about it. It's possible he deducted every living thing therefore contains water. Nothing miraculous in my opinion. He could have also thought every living thing was made from water, which is wrong.
Of course, you are right. Allaah did know everything :D

Whatsthepoint
04-23-2008, 08:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AntiKarateKid
Did you ever wonder why the Allah says that these are signs for men of knowledge? It is because the believers, who are guided, recognize the truth and know it is from Allah. Disbelievers refuse to belive it unless it specifies the exact amount of water that we are made up of. Perhaps you need another line drawn for you from the verse to it's miraculous nature just like the google earth thread eh Whatsthepoint?
Ok, let me give you an example of a verse I find truely amazing, although not as impressive as the day I first came across it.
It's the one about the splitting of the moon and all the numbers involved. I'm sure you're familiar with it, if not there's plenty of threads about it.
This watery thingy is nothing special, the alleged google Earth miracle is interesting, as I said.

FatimaAsSideqah
04-23-2008, 06:48 PM
As Salaam Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

According to some Muslim scholars, the natural world can be divided into three main components: the first being water, the source of all life; second, the atmosphere; and finally, the plant and animal kingdoms (Ba Kader et al., 1983; see also Khalid and O'Brien, 1992). The teachings of the Qur'an and the Prophet Muhammad contain guidelines on how to interact with these components of the natural world.

Water is the source of all living things in more ways than one — [We made every living thing from water] (Al-Anbiyaa' 21:30) — and is essential for their survival. Because of the importance and necessity of water, under Islamic law all living beings are granted equal privileges and equal access to water as a right. In this case, no distinction is made between humans and any other creature.

In addition to being a source of drinking and irrigation, water plays another role as a life-giving substance; aquatic ecosystems sustain a rich array of living creatures, and water's value as a life vessel is two-fold.

As we have come to discover all over the world, water shortages make conservation and preservation of freshwater resources crucial, at least until a more viable method of desalination is produced.

Islamic law also designates protocol and guidelines for water use in a way to minimize dispute over what is considered to be an inalienable right.

kay106
06-07-2008, 02:43 AM
what is the arabic word for living thing? can you please proove it.

BlackMamba
06-07-2008, 02:52 AM
دَابَّةٍ Daabba
Yusuf Ali translated "kulla daabbatim" as every animal. (24:45)

BlackMamba
06-07-2008, 03:01 AM
Just cuz something needs water to survive doesnt mean its made of water lol. Whered that one come from. Looking at a human, its hard to tell that 70 percent of it is composed of water.

Whatsthepoint
06-08-2008, 08:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Shakoor15
دَابَّةٍ Daabba
Does it say "every animal"? Arabic speakers.

crayon
06-08-2008, 09:09 AM
Yup, every animal, although there's a more specific meaning for the word "dabba", but I'm not exactly sure how to translate it. In general it's every animal. That's a different aya than the one I meant though, here it is:

24:45 [And Allah has created every animal from water: of them there are some that creep on their bellies; some that walk on two legs; and some that walk on four. Allah creates what He wills for verily Allah has power over all things.]

BlackMamba
06-08-2008, 09:38 AM
Ya it says every animal because theres "kullu" before it which means every.

kay106
06-08-2008, 05:34 PM
Look, I don't really believe in a god, heaven, ehll or whatever, so I'm not bothered with it. All I am doing is trying to justify my beliefs, like every other person. You try to justify Islam, I try to justify atheism. Now, I haven't gotten very far with atheism and as far as I'm concerned, you haven't gotten too far with Islam either. so I continute to be an agnostic!

Dont you find it amazing, that this verse:

Have not those who disbelieved known that the heavens and the earth were one connected entity, then We separated them?... Will they not then believe?

[Quran 21:30]

Makes a point, about the big bang, which will be proven centuries later and will be witnessed by the unibelievers, who are today called athiests, agnostics, scientists, and asks you a question, wiil you not believe?

If i speak to any atheists today, they all confirm the big bang, this verse is directly talking to the unbelievers of today!

Alahamdullilah!

Whatsthepoint
06-08-2008, 07:34 PM
Ya it says every animal because theres "kullu" before it which means every.
Actually I was more interested in the animal bit.
What does the verse crayon posted say, animals or living beings?

the verse is actually 21:30, not 49:10.

Whatsthepoint
06-08-2008, 07:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by kay106
Dont you find it amazing, that this verse:

Have not those who disbelieved known that the heavens and the earth were one connected entity, then We separated them?... Will they not then believe?

[Quran 21:30]

Makes a point, about the big bang, which will be proven centuries later and will be witnessed by the unibelievers, who are today called athiests, agnostics, scientists, and asks you a question, wiil you not believe?

If i speak to any atheists today, they all confirm the big bang, this verse is directly talking to the unbelievers of today!

Alahamdullilah!
the verse does not make a point about the big bang.

Intisar
06-08-2008, 08:26 PM
:sl: This section was not made for debate, all posts that did not pertain to the thread at hand were deleted. Please try to stay on topic and not debate otherwise this thread will be subject to closure. :w:

crayon
06-09-2008, 07:57 AM
The one in the original post (21:30) says "living beings" and the other one (24:45) says "animal".

crayon
06-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Ooooh my bad, it is 21:30, not 49:10. Thanks whatsthepoint and jazak Allah khair shakoor.
I'm trying to edit it in the original post, but the edit button isn't there for some reason?

But yeah, in 21:30 it says living beings..

kay106
07-05-2008, 12:22 PM
the verse does not make a point about the big bang.
dont mean to cause any offense but what do you think it says?

kay106
07-06-2008, 03:33 PM
دَابَّةٍ Daabba
Does Daaba include insects and plants?

Everybody
05-24-2012, 07:35 PM
:bump1::bump1:

Nobody_
05-24-2012, 07:49 PM
I agree with everybody.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.