/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Unintentional offensive phrases

kirk
04-21-2008, 03:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by YusufNoor
Peace be upon those who follow the guidance,
In the West we are expected to be tolerant of everybody. The above phrase implies he does not wish peace on anybody except Muslims.

An equivalent phrase uttered by a Western person would get him into trouble.

Offensive phrases can go both ways.

k

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Umar001
04-25-2008, 02:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by kirk
In the West we are expected to be tolerant of everybody. The above phrase implies he does not wish peace on anybody except Muslims.

k
How does a non Muslim become Muslim? According to us, by following guidance!

So the wish is not only upon Muslims, rather it is upon those individuals who try their best to follow guidance as it says, there are people who would follow guidance but have yet to see the signs.

My evidence for that would be the fact that people will be tested on the day of Judgement, one of them the person who lived between prophets, i.e. no message came to him.

Muezzin
04-25-2008, 06:08 PM
So it's fortunate that 'Asalaam alaikum' means 'Peace be upon you'. It doesn't discriminate. However, the person saying it might.

Also, since I was born and raised in the West, I'm a Western person. Although I rather wish the term 'Western person' entailed ponchos and looking like Clint Eastwood. I wouldn't get into trouble for saying 'peace be upon those who follow the guidance'. Perhaps you meant a non-Muslim person?

AntiKarateKid
04-25-2008, 07:09 PM

k
Let me break it down for you.

To a Muslims and People of the Book : I wish them peace because Allah has chosen them and guided them towards his light, especially the Muslims

To a Non Muslim or a particularly ignorant Jew/Christian: For these people, I will wish that Allah grants them guidance. If they receive guidance and follow the Straight Path, I will wish that Allah grants them peace for their good deeds.

Why would I wish someone who is foolishly rebellious against Allah peace? I wish them guidance so that they may find peace.

guidance---> Peace

Say: "Who is the Lord and Sustainer of the heavens and the earth?" Say: "(It is) Allah." Say: "Do ye then take (for worship) protectors other than Him, such as have no power either for good or for harm to themselves?" Say: "Are the blind equal with those who see? Or the depths of darkness equal with light?" Or do they assign to Allah partners who have created (anything) as He has created, so that the creation seemed to them similar? Say: "Allah is the Creator of all things: He is the One, the Supreme and Irresistible."

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Abdul Fattah
04-25-2008, 07:41 PM
I understand what you mean, but to some extend, that which we can pray for is limited. If I'm not mistaken, it's inappropriate to pray for a different outcome then the one Allah (subhana wa ta'ala) has already decreed. For example, it's inappropriate to pray that Allah would spare every single human that ever existed from hell, when we already know that Allah decided some are destined for hell. As a believer, you believe that Allah (subhana wa ta'ala) knows best. When we look at this example brought up more in depth, you could say that when you ask Allah subhana wa ta'ala to spare every single person, you ask him not to bring justice. Some could argue that asking not to bring justice is asking to be injust. So I wouldn't be inclined to pray that nobody goes to hell, because I understand that goes against the purpose of life on this earth. That doesn't mean however that I don't empathize for those who'll go to hell. Also, that doesn't mean that when I know somebody personal who deserves hell that I don't hope he'll change his ways.

Pygoscelis
04-25-2008, 07:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AntiKarateKid
Why would I wish someone who is foolishly rebellious against Allah peace? I wish them guidance so that they may find peace.
Because it beats war :) I'd wish my greatest enemies peace. In fact, its more important for me to wish them peace than anybody else since they are the ones most likely to attack me

- Qatada -
04-25-2008, 07:47 PM
:salamext:

‘Salam’ is a Greeting for Non-Muslims

| Sheikh Faysal b. Anwar Mawlawî, Retired Judge|

http://www.islamtoday.com/showme2.cfm?cat_id=29&sub_cat_id=1453

It is perfectly alright for a non Muslim to greet another person with the Islamic greeting of peace: “Al-Salâm `Alaykum wa Rahmah Allah wa Barakâtuh.”

However, the non-Muslim will not receive the blessing for the practice that a Muslim does, since the blessing one earns by offering the greeting to someone else comes from emulating the example – the Sunnah – of the Prophet (peace be upon him), and a non-Muslim, by definition, does not believe in following the Prophet’s Sunnah as a matter of faith.

It is also permissible for a Muslim to greet a non Muslim with this greeting. This was asserted by a number of Companions and Successors, including Ibn `Abbâs, Ibn Mas`ûd, Abû Umâmah, Ibn Muhîrîz, and `Umar b. `Abd al-`Azîz. It was also the opinion of many prominent imams, including Sufyân b. `Uyaynah, al-Sha`bî, al-Awzâ`î, and al-Tabarî. Recently, this opinion has been adopted by al-Sayyid Rashîd Ridâ’ in Tafsîr al-Manâr and al-Shinqîtî in Adwâ’ al-Bayân.

This view is in harmony with how the Qur’ân represents the Islamic greeting of peace as a universal greeting.

Allah says: “O you who believe! Enter not houses other than your own without first announcing your presence and invoking peace upon the folk thereof. That is better for you, that you may be heedful.” [Sûrah al-Nûr: 27]

Allah says: “And when they hear idle talk they turn aside from it and say: We shall have our deeds and you shall have your deeds; peace be on you, we do not desire the ignorant.” [Sûrah al-Qasas: 55]

He says: “And the servants of (Allah) Most Gracious are those who walk on the earth in humility, and when the ignorant address them, they say, ‘Peace!’ ” [Sûrah al-Furqân: 63]

He also says: “Consider his cry: ‘O my Lord! surely they are a people who do not believe’. So turn away from them and say, ‘Peace’, for they shall soon come to know.” [Sûrah al-Zukhruf: 88-89]

And: “(The father) replied: ‘Do you hate my gods, O Abraham? If you forbear not, I will indeed stone you: Now get away from me for a good long while!’ Abraham said: ‘Peace be on thee: I will pray to my Lord for thy forgiveness: for He is to me Most Gracious’.” [Sûrah Maryam: 47]

There is also ample hadîth evidence to establish the universality of this greeting.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Greet with ‘Peace’ those whom you know and those whom you do not know.” [Sahîh al-Bukharî (12) and Sahîh Muslim (39)]

The Prophet (peace be upon him) also informed us that when Allah created Adam, He commanded him: “Go to that assembly – and they were an assembly of seated angels – and listen to how they greet you. Indeed, it is your greeting and the greeting of your descendants. He said: “Peace be upon you.” They said: “Peace be upon you and Allah’s mercy.” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî (3326 & 6227) and Sahîh Muslim (2841)]

The Prophet (peace be upon him) also said: “Spread the greeting of peace.” [Sunan al-Tirmidhî (1854) and Sahîh Ibn Hibbân (489)]

There are many scholars who hold the view that it is either disliked or prohibited for Muslims to initiate the greeting of salâm with non-Muslims. They rely on the following hadîth as evidence: “Do not initiate the salutation of ‘Peace’ with the Jews and Christians.” [Sahîh Muslim (2167)]

However, this hadîth relates to a state of hostilities which had erupted at that time against the Muslims. It was, in fact, at the time of the campaign against Banû Qurayzah. This is established by another authentic hadîth where the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “We are going forth in the morning against a group of Jews, so do not initiate the greeting of ‘Peace’ with them. [Musnad Ahmad (26695) and Mu`jam al-Tabarânî al-Kabîr (22/291). See also Musnad Ahmad (16844 & 17584)]

Ibn Hajar al-`Asqalânî relates the same from al-Bukhârî’s al-Adab al-Mufrad and from Sunan al-Nasâ’î while discussing this topic in Fath al-Bârî (11/39).

Therefore, the opinion that the greeting of peace can be used for all people is the strongest one. This view has been held by eminent scholars of all schools of thought. It is certainly the opinion to adopt when living at peace in the company of non-Muslims. Those Muslims who are living in non-Muslim countries should have a concern for outreach. Greeting all people in the best of manner without showing discrimination is an essential etiquette of reaching out to others.

It is also important to understand that the difference of opinion regarding the greeting of “salâm” with non-Muslims pertains only to initiating the greeting, not to replying to it. When a non-Muslim greets a Muslim with “al-Salâm `alaykum”, then it is obligatory for the Muslim to return the greeting.

This is because Allah says: “When you are greeted with a greeting, greet back with better than it or return it. Lo! Allah takes count of all things.” [Sûrah al-Nisâ’: 86]

This verse shows that it is preferable to offer a better, more generous greeting and it is obligatory to do justice and to at least return the same. Ibn Qayyim al-Jawziyyah explains in Ahkâm Ahl al-Dhimmah that this ruling certainly applies to non-Muslims as well as Muslims.

AntiKarateKid
04-25-2008, 07:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
Because it beats war :) I'd wish my greatest enemies peace. In fact, its more important for me to wish them peace than anybody else since they are the ones most likely to attack me
Dont be a fool. You know very well that when I say Salam or peace to a person I am not saying " I hope Noone blows you up", it is a spiritual peace and a wish for Allah to bestow blessings upon them. I wish my enemies guidance which leads to peace. Please read my post carefully before uttering such bland pseudo-noble statements.

I hope that Allah may guide you.

Sanaullah
04-27-2008, 02:26 AM
بِسْمِ اللّهِ الرَّحْمـَنِ الرَّحِيمِ

Responding to the salaam initiated by a non-Muslim is agreed upon as being correct. However, initiating the salaam is not. In other words the greeting of salaam should only be initiated to Muslims, but if a non-Muslim happens to initiate the greeting to you, there is no harm in responding to it.

Abu Huraira (Radhi Allahu anhu) narrated that the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa salam) said: "Do not precede the Jews and the Christians with the Salam. And if one of you meets them in the path, then force them to its narrow portion." (Sunan at-Tirmidhi no.2700) This hadith was graded as hasan sahih by Imam Abu Eisa at-Tirmidhi.

However, if one is passing by a gathering of people which includes both Muslim and non-Muslims, giving salam is still part of the sunnah, as is reported from the narration of Usama bin Zaid (Radhi Allahu anhu).

The believers are a separate community, far apart from the unbelievers, and this must be reflected in many ways, the exchanging of salam being such an example.

MustafaMc
04-27-2008, 02:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
Reminds me of "Keep your friends close, but keep your enemies closer".

YusufNoor
04-27-2008, 04:24 AM

that's your somewhat prejudicial attempt at an interpretation...

I AM A WESTERNER, consider it uttered! now, where am i in trouble?

i reckon if you search out offense, you'll find it anywhere. but let's see, an atheist finding something a Muslim does offensive, go figure! :rollseyes

k

it's actually a Sunnah of the Messenger of Allah, Salla Allahu Alayhe Wa Salaam, to greet non-Muslims when addressing them in a written form:

source:

http://www.cyberistan.org/islamic/letters.html

The text of the letter sent to Heraclius was as follows:

“In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful. This letter is from Muhammad the slave of Allah and his Apostle to Heraclius, the ruler of the Byzantines. Peace be upon him who follows the right path. Furthermore, I invite you to Islam and if you become a Muslim you will be safe, and Allah will double your reward, and if you reject this invitation of Islam you will be committing a sin by misguiding your subjects. And I recite to you Allah's statement:

“O People of the Scriptures! Come to a word common to you and us that we worship none but Allah and that we associate nothing in worship with Him, and that none of us shall take others as Lords beside Allah. Then if they turn away, say: Bear witness that we are Muslims (those who have surrendered to Allah). (Qur’an: Surah 3, Ayah 64).”
as for finding violence where one is wishing peace, that must have been what you wanted to find...

:w:

MustafaMc
04-27-2008, 06:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by YusufNoor

it's actually a Sunnah of the Messenger of Allah, Salla Allahu Alayhe Wa Salaam, to greet non-Muslims when addressing them in a written form:
I see nothing offensive about the greeting listed above and I definitely don't see that it implies the opposite, "War upon those who don't follow the guidance."

Another hadith came to my mind Yahya related to me from Malik from Abdullah ibn Dinar that Abdullah ibn Umar said that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "When a jew greets you, and says 'Death to you' (as-samu alaykum) say, 'And to you.' "

Notice the similarity between "as-samu" = death and "as-salamu" = peace. Now if you were a Christian abiding by the doctrine of "turn the other cheek", it is perfectly OK to return "Death to you" with "Peace be upon you", but us Muslims were not commanded to turn the other cheek.

barney
04-27-2008, 06:18 PM
Hey everyone.:alright:
Peace to you all, regardless of religion,political persuasion, height ,skin colour, age, sex, cholesterol level and hairstyle.

(one exception: doom be upon those who caused the last series of LOST to be delayed)

MustafaMc
04-27-2008, 07:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by barney
Hey everyone.:alright:
Peace to you all, regardless of religion,political persuasion, height ,skin colour, age, sex, cholesterol level and hairstyle.
Hey, that's pretty cool coming from a big, soft, purple dinosaur. Wa eyakum - and to you - the same.

However, would you say the same to a serial rapist & killer of children? :?Can't say that I would.

barney
04-27-2008, 09:52 PM
I'd wish them peace and hope that they found it whilst being locked up in a steel cage far from any other human.

chacha_jalebi
04-27-2008, 10:46 PM
thread answered

Therefore, the opinion that the greeting of peace can be used for all people is the strongest one. This view has been held by eminent scholars of all schools of thought. It is certainly the opinion to adopt when living at peace in the company of non-Muslims. Those Muslims who are living in non-Muslim countries should have a concern for outreach. Greeting all people in the best of manner without showing discrimination is an essential etiquette of reaching out to others.
so elo ello all, hope your tick tock :D

and with that :p

:threadclo

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.