/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hijab??

Silver
04-21-2008, 12:47 PM
I was talking about this a few days ago with my dad. In the last few years, the way women wear their Hijab has changed a lot here in Lebanon. Most women who wear the Hijab still wear tight jeans and shirts, even skirts , high heels, sandals... They put a lot of make up on. And their Hijabs are so colorful and now there are all these new Hijab styles, some women wear their Hijab like bandanas and they look like pirates to me!!! When they walk down the street they draw more attention to them than the women who don't wear the Hijab...the way they look, i think they'd be better off without the Hijab!!!!! And the MAJORITY of those who wear the Hijab are like this. What do u think of this? And is it like this where u live or is is just here?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
crayon
04-21-2008, 12:57 PM
Yup, it's the same in Syria sis, most of bilad al sham is like that now. :(
So many people think a hijab is just a head scarf.. I've even seen women wearing shorts that cover the knee and then putting a hijab on! It's crazy.

I think the reason behind it is that people are wearing the hijab nowadays out of traditional reasons.. they used to wear them for religious ones, but they slowly forgot them, and now it's just a tradition. And loads of women don't even wear hijab at all. But personally, I find a woman who covers modestly and does not cover her hair way better than someone who wears a head scarf with skin tight clothes, has her ears and neck showing, huge earrings dangling. That's just an outright insult to the true meaning of hijab.

Silver
04-21-2008, 01:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
Yup, it's the same in Syria sis, most of bilad al sham is like that now. :(
U r from Syria?? If u r then we're neighbours :statisfie

And loads of women don't even wear hijab at all. But personally, I find a woman who covers modestly and does not cover her hair way better than someone who wears a head scarf with skin tight clothes, has her ears and neck showing, huge earrings dangling. That's just an outright insult to the true meaning of hijab
I don't wear a Hijab, I dress modestly though...don't wear make up, revealing clothes...anw when I eventually wear the Hijab, it won't be like that.

I also think that one of the reasons for this, is that a lot of the girls who are wearing the Hijab this way don't do so because they wanna but because their parents make them wear it.

Snowflake
04-21-2008, 01:36 PM
It's the same in the UK.

I wouldn't say it's better not to wear hijab than wear it with revealing clothing. Since both show disobediance to Allah. However it is better to dress modestly than not.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Fishermans_eye
04-21-2008, 02:01 PM
An Islamic tradition say that girls should cover their hair. (Not must). I think dressing modestly and not drawing attention is the only must. At least according to islam101.

http://www.islam101.com/women/hijabfaq.html

This is how girls dress in my country. Not a Hijab, but still modest right?:D The hair is 95% covered, the only hair is like showing eye brows.

------
04-21-2008, 02:04 PM
:salamext:

Normally how you should wear Hijaab - I think:

Obviously there are many different ways, but like you should cover all your hair...

Umar001
04-21-2008, 02:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishermans_eye
An Islamic tradition say that girls should cover their hair. (Not must). I think dressing modestly and not drawing attention is the only must. At least according to islam101.
How do you know, bro, that its not a must?

Al-Zaara
04-21-2008, 02:10 PM
As far as I know, it's agreed that the hair must be covered.

http://www.islam101.com/women/hijabfaq.html

This is how girls dress in my country. Not a Hijab, but still modest right?:D The hair is 95% covered, the only hair is like showing eye brows.

What country is that? I was thinking Mongolia, but it's just a guess..

Fishermans_eye
04-21-2008, 02:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
How do you know, bro, that its not a must?
I don't, but the link I provided says that a tradition is that a girl should. They are pretty literal in Islamic contexts.

Fishermans_eye
04-21-2008, 02:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara
As far as I know, it's agreed that the hair must be covered.

What country is that? I was thinking Mongolia, but it's just a guess..
:raging: Haha very funny, it's Turkmenistan in central Asia. But es there are Muslims in Mongolia too. And yes we are related to the Mongols.

Al-Zaara
04-21-2008, 02:19 PM
:raging: Haha very funny, it's Turkmenistan in central Asia. But es there are Muslims in Mongolia too. And yes we are related to the Mongols.
Aa, Turkmenistan! I just showed my father that picture and he punched my head saying "how couldn't you guess?! Where is the Turkish blood in you left??" Hehe.. :exhausted

Fishermans_eye
04-21-2008, 02:24 PM
Aa, Turkmenistan! I just showed my father that picture and he punched my head saying "how couldn't you guess?! Where is the Turkish blood in you left??" Hehe.. :exhausted
A fellow Turanian? Central Asia or Turkey or Azerbaijan? I see you live in Finland, Uutuus!

Al-Zaara
04-21-2008, 02:35 PM
A fellow Turanian? Central Asia or Turkey or Azerbaijan? I see you live in Finland, Uutuus!
Haha, uutuus means "new", you know that right? :p My father's father was a Turk originally from Bursa, Turkey but who moved then to Kosovo. I'm partly Turkish, yea. :D

Say do the girls generally dress like that in Turkmenistan or only when there's an event?

Fishermans_eye
04-21-2008, 02:54 PM
Haha, uutuus means "new", you know that right? :p My father's father was a Turk originally from Bursa, Turkey but who moved then to Kosovo. I'm partly Turkish, yea. :D
If you're a mix then you're a Turanian. Only Mongols are "pure".

Say do the girls generally dress like that in Turkmenistan or only when there's an event?
Always, but it's mostly rural and smaller towns where the majority lives. The ones in major cities tend to dress in a more western way. I guess it's like any other liberal Muslim country. I've been to Egypt and saw girls in mini skirts and all.

I think all of this Hijab thing is different from country to country. If you make a search on Muslima or Qiran dating sites. You can try Bangladesh, all of the girls come from Muslim countries and conservative families. Only one in 10 wears a hijab. And Ortodhox Christians wear a Hijab in church. So I think it has more to do with culture.

Al-Zaara
04-21-2008, 03:01 PM
Always, but it's mostly rural and smaller towns where the majority lives. The ones in major cities tend to dress in a more western way. I guess it's like any other liberal Muslim country. I've been to Egypt and saw girls in mini skirts and all.
That's what I thought.

I think all of this Hijab thing is different from country to country. If you make a search on Muslima or Qiran dating sites. You can try Bangladesh, all of the girls come from Muslim countries and conservative families. Only one in 10 wears a hijab. And Ortodhox Christians wear a Hijab in church. So I think it has more to do with culture.
I have to agree at some extent yes, hijab can be very cultural. I myself don't mind what colours or materials you use, aslong as it covers according to the Islamic rules, for I do find many cultural clothes very modest.

Khalisah
04-21-2008, 03:20 PM
وَلْيَضْرِبْنَ بِخُمُرِهِنَّ عَلَى جُيُوبِهِنَّ
"And draw they khumur all over their juyub"
(24:31)

The word ‘juyub’ comes from jilbab derived from the word ‘tajalbaba which means to clothe, a loose outer covering, it should be worn over the normal clothes. The plural is jalabeeb.
The word Khimar (khumur) derived from khamr also means to cover, the jilbab usually means the covering from neck/shoulders to the feet and khimar is the term used for everything else that is covered. Linguistically the word khimar means only a head covering. That means that the head has to be covered.

Not sure if that’s helpful, hope it is.
with regards to color.. I guess part of that could depend n culture?.. I mean we're not meant to be noticed, and in some cultures where women usually wear bright colors, and the only sister in hijab wears black...wud attract a lot of attention?.. Thats just my personal opinion anyway.. Allah knows best

Snowflake
04-21-2008, 11:54 PM
I mean we're not meant to be noticed, and in some cultures where women usually wear bright colors, and the only sister in hijab wears black...wud attract a lot of attention?..
Do you think that would attract bad/good attention or just curiosity?

glo
04-22-2008, 08:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by darkchocolate
Not sure if that’s helpful, hope it is.
with regards to color.. I guess part of that could depend n culture?.. I mean we're not meant to be noticed, and in some cultures where women usually wear bright colors, and the only sister in hijab wears black...wud attract a lot of attention?.. Thats just my personal opinion anyway.. Allah knows best[/I]
If the purpose of wearing hijab is not to attract unwanted attention to yourself, then wearing black, when everybody else wears colourful hijabs, could make you stand out more and would draw attention to yourself ... regardless of whether that attention may be positive or negative.

If your intention is to 'blend in', then it may be better to wear colour too - within your personal perception of what is modest and appropriate.

syilla
04-22-2008, 08:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
if in Malaysia... the attention is not in a bad way... but something like this
'why do you have to wear black?'. 'is not suitable wear black here...in the humid country'... :blind:

north_malaysian
04-22-2008, 09:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lara
I was talking about this a few days ago with my dad. In the last few years, the way women wear their Hijab has changed a lot here in Lebanon. Most women who wear the Hijab still wear tight jeans and shirts, even skirts , high heels, sandals... They put a lot of make up on. And their Hijabs are so colorful and now there are all these new Hijab styles, some women wear their Hijab like bandanas and they look like pirates to me!!! When they walk down the street they draw more attention to them than the women who don't wear the Hijab...the way they look, i think they'd be better off without the Hijab!!!!! And the MAJORITY of those who wear the Hijab are like this. What do u think of this? And is it like this where u live or is is just here?
In Malaysia too....

Also in Singapore, Brunei and Indonesia....

Seri
04-25-2008, 12:10 PM
I have to wear my hijab tied at the bak because its just not practical in my job to wear any other way ... im a childcare worker and work with very young babies, also this is how most women wear their hijab in australia

Khalisah
04-25-2008, 12:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
:sl: sis
Well if someone were to notice you in hijab..they would probly notice regardless of whether you are in bright colors or dark, but if you wear colors which really would draw extra attention because you look so different from the rest of the society then that can't be good can it?..Cos ur not just attracting the attention for your hijab, but also for the colors.. I don't mean that I would wear bright bright colors just cos the rest of society does that, but Id find a slightly common ground so that Id stand out less..and If I did stand out it would only be the hijab, and nothing extra on top of that.. Does that make sense?.. I feel like Im starting to lose my point.... :-[
Take care sis

barney
04-25-2008, 12:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AhLÄÄM
:

Isnt she totally showing her face? And she has lipstick on.:?

crayon
04-25-2008, 01:00 PM
(that's a mannequin....):X

------
04-25-2008, 01:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by barney
Isnt she totally showing her face? And she has lipstick on.:?

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D Its a mannequin LOL ahahahahahaha ;D ;D ;D

LOL
ahem

Pk_#2
04-25-2008, 01:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AhLÄÄM

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D Its a mannequin LOL ahahahahahaha ;D ;D ;D

LOL
ahem
Loq nice to see you smile, take the sad face off your sig now!

Glo, I agree with you, but I wear black sometimes.

truemuslim
04-25-2008, 11:16 PM
Hijab isn't to cover your hair, its for modesty. and see this... try not to laugh too hard to make u not able to hear the rest of the stuff he says. its hilaarius! http://youtube.com/watch?v=F4jQi0Gjy3M&feature=related

p.s. EVEN YOU NON MUSLIMS WILL LAUGH AT HIS VIDS!!

barney
04-25-2008, 11:20 PM
Yeah, I KNOW its a mannaquin! Cripes! I still have my sight creator- willing!

As for the Black. thats totally Gothic. Respect.

truemuslim
04-25-2008, 11:36 PM
^ LOOL

Btw You don't have to wear black. thats what goth's wear.

Seri
04-26-2008, 01:35 AM
ooo but black is sooooo slimming lol

truemuslim
04-26-2008, 02:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Seri
ooo but black is sooooo slimming lol
lol i kno! :statisfie
hehe
unless ur wairing black nailpolish, black socks, black pants and shirt under a black abaya wit a black niqab and black hijab, and black eyeliner , black lipstick and black shoes....thats gothic.
lol

Seri
04-26-2008, 02:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by truemuslim
lol i kno! :statisfie
hehe
unless ur wairing black nailpolish, black socks, black pants and shirt under a black abaya wit a black niqab and black hijab, and black eyeliner , black lipstick and black shoes....thats gothic.
lol
lol yeh thats when people cross the street instead of walk past you ... you could be an emo!!!

truemuslim
04-26-2008, 02:21 AM
lol yeh thats when people cross the street instead of walk past you ... you could be an emo!!!

LOL

Malaikah
04-26-2008, 09:18 AM
I have to wear my hijab tied at the bak because its just not practical in my job to wear any other way ... im a childcare worker and work with very young babies, also this is how most women wear their hijab in australia
:sl:

I assume you mean with their neck showing?

I live in Australia and I only very, very rarely see Muslim women who tie their hijab back. Most women here who wear hijab cover their hair properly and cover their neck too.

Danah
04-26-2008, 09:32 AM
I think hijab can be wear in any color expect very bright colors to not get the attention.
but for me in my area every one is wearing BLACK even when we can see some sisters wearing black abaya with many colorful patterns. but it is very rare to see a woman wearing a colorful abaya. I think it depends on the culture

Seri
04-26-2008, 10:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
:sl:

I assume you mean with their neck showing?

I live in Australia and I only very, very rarely see Muslim women who tie their hijab back. Most women here who wear hijab cover their hair properly and cover their neck too.
out of curiosity which part of australia are u from... i think the malays are majority...??? i see heaps maybe a perth thing???

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.