/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslims in the west, have you seen an increase in racism?

Fishermans_eye
04-21-2008, 03:57 PM
It was an article about increase of Islamophobia. I don't "look like a Muslim", but Islamophobia is just another word for racism against foreigners.

I've noticed it, I don't think people turn more racist. I think people are just more open about it.

Is there anyone else that wants to move to an Islamic country?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Pk_#2
04-21-2008, 04:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishermans_eye
It was an article about increase of Islamophobia. I don't "look like a Muslim", but Islamophobia is just another word for racism against foreigners.

I've noticed it, I don't think people turn more racist. I think people are just more open about it.

Is there anyone else that wants to move to an Islamic country?
Yeah definitely, Indonesia, been planning this all ma life you know, not that I was really a victim of harassment or bullying, but now things are starting to cave in, I've been called a terrorist a few times already, it's horrible,

I know it's worse elsewhere, UK aint all that bad.

Fishermans_eye
04-21-2008, 04:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Happy
Yeah definitely, Indonesia, been planning this all ma life you know, not that I was really a victim of harassment or bullying, but now things are starting to cave in, I've been called a terrorist a few times already, it's horrible,

I know it's worse elsewhere, UK aint all that bad.
Sweden is very bad. The Politics are still good but our BNP will beet barrier and enter in the next election. I get harassed all the time, just the other day someone blocked me in the buss. Sweden is seen as good on the outside but it's horrible in the inside.

Never been called a terrorist but I've been called a "chink".

aamirsaab
04-21-2008, 04:12 PM
:sl:
Haven't noticed an increase in racism myself but have seen it in news and newspaper etc.

One time, whilst canvassing, I experienced some racial abuse. I could have beat the living day lights out of them but that probably wouldn't have gone down well with Npower - my job was to sell gas/electricity, not beat up random chavs unfortunately :(

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Pk_#2
04-21-2008, 04:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
:sl:
Haven't noticed an increase in racism myself but have seen it in news and newspaper etc.

One time, whilst canvassing, I experienced some racial abuse. I could have beat the living day lights out of them but that probably wouldn't have gone down well with Npower - my job was to sell gas/electricity, not beat up random chavs unfortunately :(
Ohh that's so cruel, You shouldv'e got your brother to beat them up, atleast he hasn't got his job on the line, I though pakistani ppl always do this, get their whole generation to jump one muppet, or isi a Lu'on fing?

I never thought anyone would call me a terrorist! And they were really fat man :blind:

Ali.
04-21-2008, 06:18 PM
Well I can't exactly say I've seen an increase in racism, but I have experienced quite a lot of it - direct & indirect. You could say I'm used to it now.

Mostly though it's OK - it's just those minority.

Danah
04-21-2008, 06:32 PM
I have been in UK twice for two months in each visit and it was REALLY SUCKS there. I was not comfortable at all there, I really pray to Allah to make it easy for muslims there
I was feeling like I am totally stranger there, everyone staring at me like I am comming from another world. I cant even go for shopping freely. it was really bad there

Fishermans_eye
04-21-2008, 06:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SAYA
I have been in UK twice for two months in each visit and it was REALLY SUCKS there. I was not comfortable at all there, I really pray to Allah to make it easy for muslims there
I was feeling like I am totally stranger there, everyone staring at me like I am comming from another world. I cant even go for shopping freely. it was really bad there
1. The UK is not that bad. There are a lot of countries where they murder Muslims all the time.

2. Where are you from?

Danah
04-21-2008, 06:59 PM
1. The UK is not that bad. There are a lot of countries where they murder Muslims all the time.

2. Where are you from?
Oh thats awful.......I heard that UK is better than the other countries
I visited London two years aga and one of my visits there was on the underground explodes event, I was completly disable to go out from the home (it was becuse of the way I dressed) even my father and brothers cant go out. many time they have been asked by strangers there about where they are from and why they are the UK.
I am from one of the Arabian Gulf countries, It was really a relief when I back to home and seeing my muslim people there again

Al-Zaara
04-21-2008, 07:12 PM
Sweden is very bad. The Politics are still good but our BNP will beet barrier and enter in the next election. I get harassed all the time, just the other day someone blocked me in the buss. Sweden is seen as good on the outside but it's horrible in the inside.

Never been called a terrorist but I've been called a "chink".
That's the one side of Sweden. My closest friend lives there and sure she has seen it too, but not all that much.. I think I must ask her further. It must depend if the place already has lots of foreingers or if it's something "unusual".

In Finland it depends, some places can be worse and some you won't really notice... I myself haven't gotten all that much trouble, just a little. I know people who have gone through worse and a few even murdered.

What I have gotten more trouble with is the fact I am Muslim, the comments about Islam are more usual than comments about me being an Kosovar (maybe they don't even notice I'm one! lol).

The_Prince
04-21-2008, 07:14 PM
well im in London and i havent experianced anything bad, perhaps they know better than to mess with me :Evil:

i did experiance one slight form of racism last year, but it wasnt because i was Muslim, rather the idiot thought i was Jewish and called me a YID which is a derogatory way of calling someone a Jew.

i went to New York last month, and Norfolk Virginia, didnt experiance anything bad.

the racism though is all over the newspapers.

glo
04-21-2008, 08:13 PM
The UK is not that bad. There are a lot of countries where they murder Muslims all the time.
Just curious, but which countries are these in particular?

Fishermans_eye
04-21-2008, 08:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Just curious, but which countries are these in particular?
Not western countries but mostly Eastern European ones.

barney
04-21-2008, 08:23 PM
I Got called a Northern wazzack by a Southern nonce the other week. Theres no way I'm moving to the midlands though. Theyre all a bunch of spanners.

glo
04-21-2008, 08:24 PM
Not western countries but mostly Eastern European ones.
Thank you for your reply.
Which countries in particular? Is the killing of Muslims common there?

Fishermans_eye
04-21-2008, 08:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Thank you for your reply.
Which countries in particular? Is the killing of Muslims common there?
Russia/Poland/Bulgaria/Serbia

Russian police arrested a student yesterday for posting a video on the internet which appears to show the execution-style killing by neo-Nazis of two migrant workers.

Human rights activists said they believed the horrific footage posted on a far-right website on Sunday was genuine. It shows two men with their mouths gagged and hands tied behind their backs. They are kneeling in front of a red and black swastika flag in an unidentified Russian forest. A caption says one of the men is from Tajikistan and another from Dagestan, in Russia's mainly Muslim south.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007...ia.lukeharding

Amadeus85
04-21-2008, 09:59 PM
Russia/Poland/Bulgaria/Serbia

Russian police arrested a student yesterday for posting a video on the internet which appears to show the execution-style killing by neo-Nazis of two migrant workers.
In Russia it happens, I dont deny, but not in Poland. And not only because there are so few muslims in my country.

Fishermans_eye
04-21-2008, 10:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
In Russia it happens, I dont deny, but not in Poland. And not only because there are so few muslims in my country.
Of course it happens. Eastern Europeans (polish included), have been damaged by communism. You are uneducated and your youth turns in to hooligans. Much like the terrorists in Islamic countries.

This is not Muslims but Hindus.

http://macierz.org.pl/index.php?stru...iew=full&id=12

Ryszard Matuszewski is a great Shaiva guru and yogi. He has been arrested several times by police on trumped up charges, he is slandered in the media and by catholic organisations!! He was beaten up by policemen, attempts were made to kill him!! He is the leader of a Hindu organisation called the Himavanti Confraternity Order, which is also persecuted. Attacks were made by catholic mafia on its members, some even managed to kill some of them. The Order is publically slandered!!

Amadeus85
04-21-2008, 10:33 PM
[QUOTE=Fishermans_eye;930738]
Of course it happens. Eastern Europeans (polish included), have been damaged by communism. You are uneducated and your youth turns in to hooligans. Much like the terrorists in Islamic countries.
LOL, either you are so young or so ..../ Oh well :omg:

This is not Muslims but Hindus.
So this thread is about Hindus?

In my country muslims make up about 0,001% of population.So when hooligans want to beat someone they ussually atatck other Poles, because there are almost no ethnic minorities in Poland. And there are about 10 times less hindus than muslims in my country. :D

Ryszard Matuszewski is a great Shaiva guru and yogi. He has been arrested several times by police on trumped up charges, he is slandered in the media and by catholic organisations!! He was beaten up by policemen, attempts were made to kill him!! He is the leader of a Hindu organisation called the Himavanti Confraternity Order, which is also persecuted. Attacks were made by catholic mafia on its members, some even managed to kill some of them. The Order is publically slandered!!
Aha, so indeed you must be very young. :giggling:

Fishermans_eye
04-21-2008, 11:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
LOL, either you are so young or so ..../ Oh well :omg:
That's the difference between the west and the east. You are 50 years back in time cause of communism. In mentality that is.

So this thread is about Hindus?
Islamophobia = racism. Cause western converts are not targeted.

In my country muslims make up about 0,001% of population.So when hooligans want to beat someone they ussually atatck other Poles, because there are almost no ethnic minorities in Poland. And there are about 10 times less hindus than muslims in my country. :D
Wow, what made you take in people in the first place, the EU?

Are you one of those countries that still depict black people as dumb monkeys in cartoons?

Aha, so indeed you must be very young. :giggling:
??

Whatsthepoint
04-22-2008, 04:22 PM
Fisherman's eye, you're complaining about islamophobia, yet you're full of prejudice yourself!

Fishermans_eye
04-22-2008, 05:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
Fisherman's eye, you're complaining about islamophobia, yet you're full of prejudice yourself!
I'm from Turkmenistan, an old Soviet state myself. I know how it is.

Whatsthepoint
04-22-2008, 05:20 PM
I'm from Turkmenistan, an old Soviet state myself. I know how it is.
My apologies to you.
Still, I think Aaron knows more about Poland than you do, and I don't think Russians kill muslims immigrants solely bercause their muslims. I think the fact that they're immigrants is the main reason for violent acts you mentioned. Immigrants of all faiths and ethnic backgrounds get bullied in Russia.

Fishermans_eye
04-22-2008, 05:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
My apologies to you.
Still, I think Aaron knows more about Poland than you do, and I don't think Russians kill muslims immigrants solely bercause their muslims. I think the fact that they're immigrants is the main reason for violent acts you mentioned. Immigrants of all faiths and ethnic backgrounds get bullied in Russia.
Cause Russians can't hold on to a job and keeps drinking водка! And they blame immigrants for working. But they also kill Muslims. I think 1/3 of Russia is Muslim.

nebula
04-22-2008, 09:49 PM
ive gotten alot of racism in my area i live in outter london and i reckon racism has increased due to 9 11 bombings london bombings and stuff like that, its built hate in people here against muslims. I get alot of dirty looks from people it pisses me off ive been called a paki aswell loadss of times lol but never directy to my face no1's got the gutts, its usually people driving by on cars. :raging:

SATalha
04-22-2008, 09:56 PM
It gets tense in the aftermath of a terrorist attack, I remember when the Bricklane bombing and the Soho bombings happned, we all gathered in the local areas and waited to see what happend. There where reports of racist incidents but nothing concrete. BUT i clearly remember after 7/7, N/F (or at least we think it was NF) came to our area and attacked a lad, all the area people came out to sort of keep an eye out. All in all its that age old human battle of not liking anything thats strange to you and thats whats happning.

Azy
04-22-2008, 10:05 PM
I might have missed something, but what does racism have to do with Islamophobia?

chacha_jalebi
04-22-2008, 10:11 PM
i dont think racism has increased especially down here in london, but i think up north its more serious, because lol people are like really segregated there!!

ive never experienced racism, although a womaan did ask me, why i converted to islam, and was i forced! and i said erm, i was born muslim and no one forces anyone, people come to islaam in free will, and she gav me sarcastic smile, which blatant meant "i wish i wasnt here right now":mmokay:

Fishermans_eye
04-22-2008, 10:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Azy
I might have missed something, but what does racism have to do with Islamophobia?
Nothing, but if you're a blond blue eyed Muslim you will be spared. But if you're a dark skinned, asian, black person you will be true more racism.

SATalha
04-22-2008, 10:23 PM

Salaam Racism and Islamaphobia are very much related, however the term Islamaphobia is not a good term to describe what is going on in the west and the UK...or even globaly. The term 'anti-Islamic racism' would a more appropriate term to describe what is going on becuase it describes both the feeling "anti-Islamic" and the action "racism". So overall it is very much related my firend. Please read the article below it dwells in the topic in to more detail....at the moment pasting the link is much more easier, I dont usualy type so much....

Note to myself: Talha stop typin

http://muslimsafetyforum.org/islamop...ophobia-2.html

chacha_jalebi
04-22-2008, 10:29 PM
^note from me to yourself, talha keep typin:D

islamphobia, which started in the west i think would be classed as prejudice, but prejeudice is the startin of racism, so yes they do have something to do with each other

back on topic, i believe, that in certain areas of UK, racism is more then it is, like in london its very uncommon to hear a racist remark, honestlyyy, but then again depends on what part of london you live in

SATalha
04-22-2008, 10:40 PM
Ahhhh Chacha Ji why are you making me type! LOL

Yeah your right depends on what part of London your at, but most areas are cool! Have you seen Bricklane these days, lol its so trendy .....the next camden. Thats another area you would think that with the dominant Bengali/Muslim people their...and the firday/saturday nights clubs and stuff that their would be clash...but i aint noticed any trouble. Which is good i hope it stays that way.

Fishermans_eye
04-23-2008, 12:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SATalha
Ahhhh Chacha Ji why are you making me type! LOL

Yeah your right depends on what part of London your at, but most areas are cool! Have you seen Bricklane these days, lol its so trendy .....the next camden. Thats another area you would think that with the dominant Bengali/Muslim people their...and the firday/saturday nights clubs and stuff that their would be clash...but i aint noticed any trouble. Which is good i hope it stays that way.
Maybe cause you don't notice it? I didn't start getting racism before I started noticing it. Bengali/muslim nightclubs? Lol! I have to go to one of those.:D

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-23-2008, 12:19 AM
The most I ever get is stares, otherwise nothing. But it's prolly cuz I dont go out alot. Just uni then home...sometimes I'll go out when my family does.

SATalha
04-23-2008, 12:21 AM
Huhhhhhhhh What you chatting about bro....? Read what i said, i didnt say "Bengali/Muslim night club".

Hey it was Black Muggers yesterday, Muslims today......who knows it might be the Jews tommorrow...oh wait thats happpend already. lol

Fishermans_eye
04-23-2008, 12:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jazzy
The most I ever get is stares, otherwise nothing. But it's prolly cuz I dont go out alot. Just uni then home...sometimes I'll go out when my family does.
You will get a lot of Muslim men wanting to marry you!:D
I might start doing that too, but I don't have a family.

The buses/trains are a common place for discrimination. It was a veiled woman who was denied entry to a buss in my country just last week. And then we have the drunks that love to harass you when you can't escape. Drunks are the worst cause they like seeing someone lower than themselves cause they are the societies bottom trash.

Fishermans_eye
04-23-2008, 12:25 AM
Huhhhhhhhh What you chatting about bro....? Read what i said, i didnt say "Bengali/Muslim night club".

Hey it was Black Muggers yesterday, Muslims today......who knows it might be the Jews tommorrow...oh wait thats happpend already. lol
Sorry, I'm a bit weird at nights cause I don't sleep much cause of medication.

SATalha
04-23-2008, 12:29 AM
SubhanAllah hope its nothing seriouse Akhi?

No worries i do that as well at times.

Fishermans_eye
04-23-2008, 12:40 AM
SubhanAllah hope its nothing seriouse Akhi?

No worries i do that as well at times.
Nothing serious or permanent, thank God (swt).

Be careful, there are fascist moderators here that likes to get opportunities to lock tread. Let' not get of topic.:D

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-23-2008, 02:56 AM
^ :x...anyways...maybe if i went out more and to further places I'd see it lol. Not that I WANT too but ya it doesnt bother me in the least bit. It just makes me laff at their ignorance lol. Its just as bad getting it from another Muslim...like this lady who works wit my aunt and she was asking me all sorts of questions like she is really ignorant =/. saying like wat if ur husband makes u take it off and Allah never said to be this "extreme." She called my hijab extreme! Imagine that >.< Just cuz i refused to expose jewelry wit my hijab. My aunt owns one so we were lookin at some and my aunt was saying u can wear it wit ur hijab...and i said no lol. Basically she asked me all these questions while my aunts and my MOM werent with me lol. Silly silly lady, thought she could trap me :p So ya its sad when u get it from another Muslim. Ok so maybe its not racism, but it is annoying still.

Woodrow
04-23-2008, 03:42 AM
I find it hard to equate prejudice against Muslims as being racist. Islam is a religion, not a race.

Perhaps a better title would have been:
"Muslims in the west, have you seen an increase in religious intolerance?"
Racism has been alive and well in the USA for a long time and will sadly continue to be. Religious intolerance seems to be new and here in the USA it seems to be directed more towards the Muslims of non-European ethnic groups. I see a lot of prejudice against people of Asiatic, Mideastern, Negroid and Oriental heritage no matter what religion they may be.

Fishermans_eye
04-23-2008, 03:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I find it hard to equate prejudice against Muslims as being racist. Islam is a religion, not a race.

Perhaps a better title would have been:

Racism has been alive and well in the USA for a long time and will sadly continue to be. Religious intolerance seems to be new and here in the USA it seems to be directed more towards the Muslims of non-European ethnic groups. I see a lot of prejudice against people of Asiatic, Mideastern, Negroid and Oriental heritage no matter what religion they may be.
Aren't we politically incorrect...:D

Well yes, when a white Christian bombs an abortion clinic. Or worse yet, a terrorist act like the Oklahoma bombings killing 800 people. Nothing happens. But when a Korean kid shoots people in Virginia Tech Asian people get harassed...

Woodrow
04-23-2008, 03:58 AM
Aren't we politically incorrect...:D
Just a reflection of my age. I can remember a time that would have been the politicaly correct answer.

But, my old biology days classified the races of man as:

Causcoid, Mongloid, Negroid, Australoid and Nordic Alpine. So I'll claim scientifically correct circa: 1950s

Azy
04-23-2008, 07:36 AM
Well yes, when a white Christian bombs an abortion clinic. Or worse yet, a terrorist act like the Oklahoma bombings killing 800 people. Nothing happens. But when a Korean kid shoots people in Virginia Tech Asian people get harassed...
Never heard of the IRA?

Fishermans_eye
04-23-2008, 12:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Just a reflection of my age. I can remember a time that would have been the politicaly correct answer.

But, my old biology days classified the races of man as:

Causcoid, Mongloid, Negroid, Australoid and Nordic Alpine. So I'll claim scientifically correct circa: 1950s
I was a child in the old Soviet so I was raised with political correctness. I still ask myself if things are politically correct.

Did you forget the Nordic blond and blue eyed race? You know the ones that inhabited ancient Greece/Rome?

Never heard of the IRA?
Lords Resistance Army too. They are in Uganda and kill people. They get child soldiers to establish a theocracy based on the bible and the ten commandments.

Keltoi
04-23-2008, 01:35 PM
I was a child in the old Soviet so I was raised with political correctness. I still ask myself if things are politically correct.

Did you forget the Nordic blond and blue eyed race? You know the ones that inhabited ancient Greece/Rome?

Lords Resistance Army too. They are in Uganda and kill people. They get child soldiers to establish a theocracy based on the bible and the ten commandments.
The Greeks and Romans weren't Nordic. Just FYI. The Romans were usually dark haired and dark eyed, contrary to the British actors used to portray them so often.

I also think it is a bit naive to buy into the principle that only white people can be racist. There is plenty of racism in the U.S., but racism goes both ways. The biggest racial problem we have in the United States these days is between blacks and hispanics. Especially in gangland.

Fishermans_eye
04-23-2008, 01:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
The Greeks and Romans weren't Nordic. Just FYI. The Romans were usually dark haired and dark eyed, contrary to the British actors used to portray them so often.
I was being sarcastic. It was Nietzsche who came up with that theory. It's old Eugenics.

Keltoi
04-23-2008, 01:41 PM
I was being sarcastic. It was Nietzsche who came up with that theory. It's old Eugenics.
Oh I see. Sarcasm is sometimes difficult on a message board.

Method
04-23-2008, 01:52 PM
I myself haven't experienced any harassment of any sort and I live in the UK.

I think it depends on where you live to be honest, some places are really bad where you may be the only muslim within a whole community but other places where there are multicultral societies its much better.

I would prefer to move to a city like Sharjah where there's a masjid on every roundabout and makes it much easier to perform your deen. That's my two cents :)

Fishermans_eye
04-23-2008, 02:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Method
I myself haven't experienced any harassment of any sort and I live in the UK.

I think it depends on where you live to be honest, some places are really bad where you may be the only muslim within a whole community but other places where there are multicultral societies its much better.

I would prefer to move to a city like Sharjah where there's a masjid on every roundabout and makes it much easier to perform your deen. That's my two cents :)
The UAE isn't that good unless you go as a tourist. The Emirates never work, and all the rest are slaves, or what they like to call "servants." Be careful of going there, you might have to "pay back your flight ticket". For the rest of your life, 20 hours a day, out in the desert sun.

Method
04-23-2008, 02:15 PM
The UAE isn't that good unless you go as a tourist. The Emirates never work, and all the rest are slaves, or what they like to call "servants." Be careful of going there, you might have to "pay back your flight ticket". For the rest of your life, 20 hours a day, out in the desert sun.
You're correct in saying some people might have to work 20 hours a day, on some construction site in the desert. But i'm quite fortunate in that case because I have relatives who live there and alhumdolillah are quite successful which would make things alot easier.

When I went to UAE last month, I loved the atmosphere especially in Sharjah. I found practising the deen was so easy compared to life here. I can't say the same for Dubai though, some of the **** policies such as gambling, wine be allowed are definately not good for the Emirate.

Fishermans_eye
04-23-2008, 02:20 PM
You're correct in saying some people might have to work 20 hours a day, on some construction site in the desert. But i'm quite fortunate in that case because I have relatives who live there and alhumdolillah are quite successful which would make things alot easier.
Maybe you're an Arab? Cause Arabs are second class citizen there. The rest are third.

When I went to UAE last month, I loved the atmosphere especially in Sharjah. I found practising the deen was so easy compared to life here. I can't say the same for Dubai though, some of the **** policies such as gambling, wine be allowed are definately not good for the Emirate.
I've been to Dubai as well. What about the open prostitution on the streets!

Method
04-23-2008, 02:23 PM
Maybe you're an Arab? Cause Arabs are second class citizen there. The rest are third.
Nope, I'm British :)

I've been to Dubai as well. What about the open prostitution on the streets!
Seriously?! WHAT?! Fortunately I didn't see that when I went.

Muezzin
04-23-2008, 02:36 PM
That would be xenophobia.

In real life situations, I haven't seen an increase of racism or Islamaphobia as such (but that doesn't mean there was an increase or decrease, I just haven't noticed). On TV and the Net, the easiest way to get attention is to say something, anything about Islam.

Woodrow
04-23-2008, 05:40 PM

Nope, those were considered to be Nordic Alpine, Although the Greeks do not meet that criteria except in Movies and some old books.

crayon
04-23-2008, 05:46 PM
Seriously?! WHAT?! Fortunately I didn't see that when I went.
It's actually estimated (my friend read this in a newspaper recently) that between every other building in dubai, there is a prostitute. But I agree, sharjah is the best emirate religion wise, I'm hoping to move there next year inshallah. Abu Dhabi is okay, but Dubai is just wooooo.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.