/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Can you have pig pets in the Islam?

Fishermans_eye
04-22-2008, 03:17 PM
Eating pigs is haram. But they are here for a reason, right?
Is it allowed to have pigs inside your house? They don't have any odor at all, so they don't smell.

They are cute, right?:D

http://www.humaneeducatorsreachingou...ges/piglet.jpg

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aamirsaab
04-22-2008, 05:09 PM
:sl:
Not sure about this actually. I think as muslims we are allowed to keep them as farm animals but again not 100% sure.

I edited the pic from image to link file so noone gets offended.

Fishermans_eye
04-22-2008, 05:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
I edited the pic from image to link file so noone gets offended.
Offended? How can you be offended by a creation of Allah?

Woodrow
04-22-2008, 05:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishermans_eye
Eating pigs is haram. But they are here for a reason, right?
Is it allowed to have pigs inside your house? They don't have any odor at all, so they don't smell.

They are cute, right?:D

http://www.humaneeducatorsreachingou...ges/piglet.jpg

:w:

This has been something I too have been trying to find a consensus about. Before reverting I used to raise dogs, Pot-Belly Pigs and Fiji Island Nesting pigs.

They are exceptionally clean and orderless animals. Any farmer will tell you that a pig is the cleanest farm animal, when you have a smelly pig it means you have a sick pig or one that is in too small of a space, overcrowded, or no access to fresh running water. Pigs love to swim in clean water, however, if no water is available they will try to swim in mud and filth, which is what many people think is the pigs choice, but it actually means the pig is mistreated.

http://www.pigs4ever.com/PotBellyPig...es/thekids.htm

I accept the fact that Allaah(swt) has made pigs haraam for us to eat. But, I think we are mistaken when we say they are haraam because they are nasty, smelly, etc. A pig is neither when properly cared for. I do not know why Allaah(swt) has made them haraam, but I do not need to know why.

Now as far as having them as a pet. Until somebody can show me that it is not haraam, I will assume it is.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
04-22-2008, 05:39 PM
Offended? How can you be offended by a creation of Allah?
The picture is not offensive. However, in recent years there have been many obscenities distributed with images of Muslims and Pigs. As a result for very many people, the mere image of a pig has become synonymous with an obscenity directed against us.

Umu 'Isa
04-23-2008, 10:37 AM
:salamext:
Good question. I tried looking for a fatwa or hadeeth but didn't find anything. I always thought pigs were najis though?

Malaikah
04-23-2008, 10:53 AM
Yes, my understanding is that the pig itself is impure...

Woodrow
04-23-2008, 12:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
Yes, my understanding is that the pig itself is impure...
That does seem to be the general acceptance. Yet, I suspect the impurity must be related to something other than physical cleanness. Nearly all other farm animals are much more physically nasty than pigs and of all the animals a healthy pig is the one with the least odor. a healthy well treated pig will only use the bath room as far as it can get from where it eats or sleeps. They make fresh clean nests to sleep in each night. Sadly, because of the reputation they are often kept in very nasty conditions.

------
04-23-2008, 12:32 PM

Lol why do you need to have a pet anyway lol... *rollseyes*

Fishermans_eye
04-23-2008, 01:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AhLÄÄM

Cause they are cute and smart. (Very smart.) I want a pot belly pig, not one of the big kinds.

I checked this site out, all about pigs is Islam seems to be not to eat it.

http://www.irfi.org/articles/article...wine_flesh.htm

You're not supposed to drink blood in Islam either, but it's still okay to have blood in you right?:D

Woodrow
04-23-2008, 01:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AhLÄÄM

Best question of the day. I believe the answer to that will reveal what is the appropriate pet if any. Too many people seem to want a pet for the wrong reasons.

Snowflake
04-23-2008, 01:26 PM
A pig might be clean physically but by nature it's a filthy animal offering its mate to other pigs. Plus if ur keeping pigs, ur going to come into contact with them physically, hence you'll make your clothes impure from its saliva, snot and whatever else they ooze. For that reason I don't think it's wise to keep them as pets.

Fishermans_eye
04-23-2008, 01:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
A pig might be clean physically but by nature it's a filthy animal offering its mate to other pigs. Plus if ur keeping pigs, ur going to come into contact with them physically, hence you'll make your clothes impure from its saliva, snot and whatever else they ooze. For that reason I don't think it's wise to keep them as pets.
But an Islamic scientist invented alcohol in medicine! So it must be okay as long as you don't consume it?

Makky
04-23-2008, 05:54 PM
the answer

No you cann't have pig pets in islam because pigs are najis for the verse inwhich Allah said :
(Say (O Muhammad SAW): "I find not in that which has been revealed to me anything forbidden to be eaten by one who wishes to eat it, unless it be Maitah (a dead animal) or blood poured forth (by slaughtering or the like), or the flesh of swine (pork) for that surely is impure, or impious (unlawful) meat (of an animal) which is slaughtered as a sacrifice for others than Allâh (or has been slaughtered for idols or on which Allâh's Name has not been mentioned while slaughtering). But whosoever is forced by necessity without wilful disobedience, nor transgressing due limits, (for him) certainly, your Lord is Oft¬Forgiving, Most Merciful." (145))surat al AnA'am
for more information and related fatawa :

http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ln=...QR=22713&dgn=3

http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref=20843&ln=eng

http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ln=...&QR=1695&dgn=3

Allah knows best

glo
04-23-2008, 06:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
Would the same not apply to all kinds of other animals too?
Are Muslims not permitted to keep any animals - as pets or for other reasons?

Woodrow
04-23-2008, 06:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Makky
the answer

No you cann't have pig pets in islam because pigs are najis for the verse inwhich Allah said : (Say (O Muhammad SAW): "I find not in that which has been revealed to me anything forbidden to be eaten by one who wishes to eat it, unless it be Maitah (a dead animal) or blood poured forth (by slaughtering or the like), or the flesh of swine (pork) for that surely is impure, or impious (unlawful) meat (of an animal) which is slaughtered as a sacrifice for others than Allâh (or has been slaughtered for idols or on which Allâh's Name has not been mentioned while slaughtering). But whosoever is forced by necessity without wilful disobedience, nor transgressing due limits, (for him) certainly, your Lord is Oft¬Forgiving, Most Merciful." (145))

Allah knows best
The flesh of swine is impure. However that does not mean it is dirty or nasty. The flesh does have a very high concentration of amino acids etc that are not healthy.

snakelegs
04-23-2008, 06:26 PM
i think unclean - in the sense of impure - is a religous state of being. it has nothing to do with regular cleanliness. so, you could have a pig who just came out of the bathtub and it would still be unclean from a religious standpoint.
it is like you don't do wudu to wash the goo of your hands.
btw, i've heard that some of those cute little pot belly pigs do indeed get to be quite big.

Pk_#2
04-23-2008, 06:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Are Muslims not permitted to keep any animals - as pets or for other reasons?
Corse you can!

I want a dog and a cat when I'm growned up..

Woodrow
04-23-2008, 06:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
i think unclean - in the sense of impure - is a religous state of being. it has nothing to do with regular cleanliness. so, you could have a pig who just came out of the bathtub and it would still be unclean from a religious standpoint.
it is like you don't do wudu to wash the goo of your hands.
btw, i've heard that some of those cute little pot belly pigs do indeed get to be quite big.
Yes the Connell line of them can get up to 400 pounds or even more. They are very slow growing. The average Connell will weigh less than 20 pounds at a year old, and may not reach 100 pounds until 3 years. They have a very long life expectancy and should be expected to live at least 25 or 30 years.

The Fiji Minature pigs while not pot-bellies are true minis and seldom get over 20 pounds, but they have a very high price tag, normally over $35,000 some have gone for over $100,000.

The Lea line is sort of a cross between the Fiji and the Connell, they are very hairy, silver colored and very lean. They seldom get over 50 pounds but only live about 10 years.

There are also often crosses between pot-bellies and some of the large pigs, They will stay small for about 4 years but can get to be over 1000 pounds.

barney
04-23-2008, 06:37 PM
the answer

No you cann't have pig pets in islam because pigs are najis for the verse inwhich Allah said :
(Say (O Muhammad SAW): "I find not in that which has been revealed to me anything forbidden to be eaten by one who wishes to eat it, unless it be Maitah (a dead animal) or blood poured forth (by slaughtering or the like), or the flesh of swine (pork) for that surely is impure, or impious (unlawful) meat (of an animal) which is slaughtered as a sacrifice for others than Allâh (or has been slaughtered for idols or on which Allâh's Name has not been mentioned while slaughtering). But whosoever is forced by necessity without wilful disobedience, nor transgressing due limits, (for him) certainly, your Lord is Oft¬Forgiving, Most Merciful." (145))surat al AnA'am

Allah knows best

That dosn't say pigs are impure, it says eating their flesh is impure.
A pig might dribble and leave snot around, but so might a cat or a dog or a hamster.

Pk_#2
04-23-2008, 06:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by barney
A pig might dribble and leave snot around, but so might a cat or a dog or a hamster.
Cats don't dribble (they scratch) nor do hamsters (they bite) as for dogs they lick their butt clean then lick your face to tell you how much they love you.

barney
04-23-2008, 07:13 PM
My cat barfs up sick and grass and hairballs.
:(

Pk_#2
04-23-2008, 07:33 PM
My cat barfs up sick and grass and hairballs.
:(
You don't take care of it? Maybe it's sick, Give it to me, I want it. So what was the answer to the question?

Little ones are quite cute, the ones that I can draw are defo cute, but once they get big they're all grey and muddy..

barney
04-23-2008, 07:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Happy
You don't take care of it? Maybe it's sick, Give it to me, I want it. So what was the answer to the question?

Little ones are quite cute, the ones that I can draw are defo cute, but once they get big they're all grey and muddy..

Its 20 years old! All cats throw up grass!

As to the Pigs, yeah, theyre cute whilst piglets, who would want a 400lb porker eating their laundry though?
Ona technical basis though, isnt it the eating of the meat rather than the animal itself thats unclean?
If the animal is unclean, shouldnt all muslim nations have a cull of them all?

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-23-2008, 08:43 PM
^^ My cats dont do any of that -.- lol. I have 3 btw. I dont find pigs cute...not compared to other animals.

aadil77
04-23-2008, 09:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jazzy
^^ My cats dont do any of that -.- lol. I have 3 btw. I dont find pigs cute...not compared to other animals.
pigs are some ugly looking things, who'd want one for a pet? pigs have a high urea content in their blood which makes em stink as hell, as you'd notice going by an english butcher

Pk_#2
04-23-2008, 09:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
pigs are some ugly looking things, who'd want one for a pet? pigs have a high urea content in their blood which makes em stink as hell, as you'd notice going by an english butcher
All butchers stink, they're not ugly when they look like this:

http://www.piggybankappeal.org.uk/piggybank.jpg

I duno @ Barney

Whatsthepoint
04-23-2008, 09:12 PM
I wouldn't have a pig as a pet either.
There's so many cuter, cuddlier and frendlier beings out there.

Pk_#2
04-23-2008, 09:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
I wouldn't have a pig as a pet either.
There's so many cuter, cuddlier and frendlier beings out there.
Nor would I, whose that? Garfield? I love cats they're yummy.

Whatsthepoint
04-23-2008, 09:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Happy
Nor would I, whose that? Garfield? I love cats they're yummy.
Pigs can be yummy too !

Pk_#2
04-23-2008, 09:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
Pigs can be yummy too !
Not the one I tried.

Makky
04-23-2008, 09:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
The flesh of swine is impure. However that does not mean it is dirty or nasty. The flesh does have a very high concentration of amino acids etc that are not healthy.
Barney, read snakelegs' reply ....

Dear Woodrow this is not my opinion , I don't speak in fiqh with my opinion ..this is what the sunnah says and Aulama' (scholars)..read the links in my previous post ..btw the word rigs which is translated into (impure) means najis.. and najasa like what snakelegs said
I mean for example the dog itself is najis even if you wash it million times this ...Tahara and najasa (purity and impurity) are a religous state of being... I wish i'm using the suitable english words to be understood

Woodrow
04-23-2008, 10:10 PM

Dear Woodrow this is not my opinion , I don't speak in fiqh with my opinion ..this is what the sunnah says and Aulama' (scholars)..read the links in my previous post ..btw the word rigs which is translated into (impure) means najis.. and najasa like what snakelegs said

I mean for example the dog itself is najis even if you wash it million times this ...Tahara and najasa (purity and impurity) are a religous state of being... I wish i'm using the suitable english words to be understood
You are very correct Brother. I was not disputing you I was trying to put things into perspective. The English word impure has some connotations that are not the same as najasa.

FatimaAsSideqah
04-23-2008, 10:18 PM
As Salaam Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

Najis is an Islamic term for spiritual impurity. Something can be clean but najis at the same time, and vice versa. Tahara is the opposite of najasa. The significance of this condition, najasa, is that a person must not be najis in order to perform certain religious actions such as prayer or tawaf in Hajj.

There are 10 things that are najis in essence:

1. Urine
2. Waste
3. Sperm
4. Dead body (human or any other dead animal
5. Bloods
6. Dogs
7. Pigs
8. Kafir (non-believer)
9. Alcoholic liquors
10. The sweat of an animal that persistently eats najasa

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-23-2008, 10:22 PM
I don't like them. SORRY! lol. Oh well'sszz...

barney
04-23-2008, 10:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by FatimaAsSideqah

Najis is an Islamic term for spiritual impurity. Something can be clean but najis at the same time, and vice versa. Tahara is the opposite of najasa. The significance of this condition, najasa, is that a person must not be najis in order to perform certain religious actions such as prayer or tawaf in Hajj.

1. Urine
2. Waste
3. Sperm
5. Bloods
6. Dogs
7. Pigs
8. Kafir (non-believer)
9. Alcoholic liquors
Yipes! I am spiritually the same catogary as my wee.:skeleton:
Fortunatly I am totally in tune with my beer!:D

OOh! edit! How come Rats are not on that list? I thought vermin were!
Having said that , I accept the superiority of this guy to me.

Makky
04-24-2008, 03:20 AM

1. Urine
2. Waste
3. Sperm
5. Bloods
6. Dogs
7. Pigs
8. Kafir (non-believer)
9. Alcoholic liquors
correct if you execlode sperm and alcoholic liquors because many scholars don't consider them najasa

for a kafir (non-believer) he is najis so he could not perform prayer tawaf etc..by being a muslim he gains his moral cleanliness and by wuduu he gains his physical cleanliness

Fishermans_eye
04-24-2008, 03:45 AM
http://www.animalliberationfront.com...er_piglets.htm

They are cute.:D

Fishermans_eye
04-24-2008, 03:46 AM

1. Urine
2. Waste
3. Sperm
5. Bloods
6. Dogs
7. Pigs
8. Kafir (non-believer)
9. Alcoholic liquors
A Kafir is still allowd inside your home, even the Prophet (PBUH) took Kafirs in to his home?

I think this anti pig thing has to do with some cultures rather than Islam.

Woodrow
04-24-2008, 03:56 AM
A Kafir is still allowd inside your home, even the Prophet (PBUH) took Kafirs in to his home?

I think this anti pig thing has to do with some cultures rather than Islam.
I believe that is partially correct. Pigs are clearly haram, but I think sometimes the reasons people give for it being haram are based on culture.

I feel it is best if we just accept they are haram because Allaah(swt) said so and we do not need to worry ourselves over why.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-24-2008, 04:21 AM
Nice try buddy...Lol. Still not changing my mind xD:statisfie

Fishermans_eye
04-24-2008, 01:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I believe that is partially correct. Pigs are clearly haram, but I think sometimes the reasons people give for it being haram are based on culture.

I feel it is best if we just accept they are haram because Allaah(swt) said so and we do not need to worry ourselves over why.
Forced marriages are haram. But common in cultures where Islam is practiced by the majority.

Nice try buddy...Lol. Still not changing my mind xD:statisfie
Cuteness is in the eyes of the beholder. What do you find cute? Children, they smell for real and not only in sayings.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.