/* */

PDA

View Full Version : hadith and time relativity

syilla
04-23-2008, 03:55 AM
:salamext:

Actually i really need some explaination from this hadeeth...i dunno why...but it keeps haunting me... :D

On the authority of Abdullah bin Mas'ud (may Allah be pleased with him) who said:

Once the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) slept on a mat made of date palm leaves and when he awoke the impressions of the mat were visible on his body. We (the Companions) said: 'O Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) may we prepare a soft bedding for you?' He said: "I have nothing to do with this world, I am in this world like a rider who halts in the shade of a tree for a short time and after taking some rest, resumes his journey leaving the tree behind." (Tirmizi)
i know this hadeeth is about reminding ourselves not to love this world too much and remember ourselves to gather/prepare lots of 'amal' (supplies) for the hereafter.

But do you think it can relate to time relativity.... i mean comparing the time here and the hereafter. which means this world is just seconds compared to our journey after this. especially according to this verse... this world like a rider who halts in the shade of a tree for a short time and after taking some rest

I know there are other hadeeths to explain that...InshaAllah someone can help me on this. :)

But this hadeeth really make me think.... :blind:

Jazakallah khayr in advance

wassallam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
islamirama
04-23-2008, 04:50 AM
wa'alaikuma s'salaam,

I think you are reading too much into it. Even the imaams after masjid khutbah have said the same thing. Think of this life as journey and this world as a short stop before move on. The hadith shows the insignificance of this duniya and how who cling to it are only fooling themselves. if you were traveling on a journey and stopped under a tree to rest, would you move on or live rest of your life under the shade, cling to it like it's everything when it's not.

as for existence, in deed our existence in here is not even a blink of an eye compared to the infinity of time.

syilla
04-23-2008, 06:12 AM
salams...

do you have any hadeeth comparing the time here and the hereafter. Do you think you can post it here?

Jazakallah khayr.

- Qatada -
04-23-2008, 05:23 PM

The hereafter is forever, on the Day of Judgement - the people will say;

On the Day the Last Hour arrives, the evildoers will swear they have not even tarried for a hour. That is the extent to which they are deceived. (Surat ar-Rum: 55)

So the people will think that they spent so little time in this world.. and the hereafter is forever.

You can check this by Harun Yahya on the concept of time;
http://www.hyahya.org/generalknowledge7.php

Allahu a'lam.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
FatimaAsSideqah
04-23-2008, 05:35 PM
As Salaam Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

In this life when a person enjoys something, it is only a short while before they get bored with it and proceed to search for something they feel is better, or they may not feel a need for it altogether. As for the delights of Paradise, a person will never feel bored with anything, but rather, its goodness will increase each time they indulge in it.

Also, the life of this world is very short. Humans only live on this earth for a short while, and very few people reach the age of seventy.

“…Say: Short is the enjoyment of this world. The Hereafter is (far) better for him who fears Allah...” (Quran 4:77)

As for Paradise, people will live forever. Allah Ta'ala says:

“...its provision is eternal and so is its shade…” (Quran 13:35)

Hadith - Sahih Bukhari 4:474, Narrated Anas bin Malik , see also Bukhari 6:403, Quran 56:30

The Prophet (PBUH) said, "There is a tree in Paradise (which is so big and huge that) if a rider travels in its shade for one hundred years, he would not be able to cross it."

islamirama
04-23-2008, 05:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
salams...

do you have any hadeeth comparing the time here and the hereafter. Do you think you can post it here?

Jazakallah khayr.
:w:

Time is relative. To us time is based on our rotation around the sun. To us one day is 24hrs. Compare this to other planets in our system.

Mercury* - 1407 hours (59 “Earth days”)
Venus - 5815 hours (243 “Earth days”)
Earth - 24 hours (1 “Earth day”)
Mars - 25 hours (~1 “Earth day”)
Jupiter - 10 hours (~0.5 “Earth days”)
Saturn - 11 hours (~0.5 “Earth days”)
Uranus - 17 hours (~0.75 “Earth days”)
Neptune - 16 hours (~0.66 “Earth days”)
Pluto - 153 hours (6 “Earth days”)

Look at these ayahs:

Verse 22: 47 translates as:
"and surely a day of your Lord is like a thousand years of your reckoning"
Verse 32: 5 translates as:
"He decides all affairs from the heavens to the earth then these [affairs] go up to Him in a day, the length of which is a thousand years of your reckoning."

Allah says that to give us an idea and comprehendable concept to grasp as to what time is to Allah compared to us. Of course when we're all dead and the Hereafter has come then what need is there for time? We all will be in a "time" of infinity so seems like a time is nothing more than a measurement tool for us to use while in this duniya. just my thoughts....

Allahu Alim..

syilla
04-24-2008, 12:54 AM
MashaAllah.... Jazakallah khayr

time is so precious...

P/S:- now to put down in my journal.

Abdul Fattah
04-24-2008, 01:45 AM
when you speak of time relativity? Do you mean:

1. Einstein's relativity of time. (time accelerates for objects with speed)
2. Psychological relativity of time. (time can seem long/short depending on our psychological state of mind)
3. Relativity by comparison. (like my body is big compared to an ant, but at the same time small compared to an elephant)

Because they are three completely different concepts, which one would you want to relate the hadeeth to, and perhaps more importantly: why?

syilla
04-24-2008, 04:47 AM
No.3 ... Just to train myself to be really afraid of the judgement day :D

------
04-24-2008, 12:28 PM

There is also the ocean hadith...hold up lemme find it...got it...

Sahih Muslim, Book 40, Number 6843:

This hadith has been narrated through five different chains of transmitters and all of them are narrated on the authority of Mustaurid, brother of Bani Fihr, that Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: By Allah, this world (is so insignificant in comparison) to the Hereafter that if one of you should dip his finger-(and while saying this Yahyg pointed with his forefinger)-in the ocean and then he should see as to what has stuck to it. This hadith has been narrated through another chain of transmitters also but with a slight variation of wording.

Whatsthepoint
04-24-2008, 01:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Fattah
when you speak of time relativity? Do you mean:

1. Einstein's relativity of time. (time accelerates for objects with speed)
2. Psychological relativity of time. (time can seem long/short depending on our psychological state of mind)
3. Relativity by comparison. (like my body is big compared to an ant, but at the same time small compared to an elephant)

Because they are three completely different concepts, which one would you want to relate the hadeeth to, and perhaps more importantly: why?
1. What do you mean, accelerates?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.