/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Urgent, Please sign petition, Zimbabwe stop arms shipment

Eric H
04-24-2008, 09:56 AM
Greetings and peace be with you all,

A ship carrying arms, including 3 million rounds of ammunition, bound for Zimbabwe is currently trying to find a way of delivering its deadly cargo. It is highly likely that these weapons will be used to fuel violence, killings and intimidation in Zimbabwe’s growing political crisis. THE ARMS MUST BE STOPPED.
Please help stop these arms getting through to Zimbabwe

Time is short, URGENT ACTION REQUIRED, please sign the petition

http://www.iansa.org/stoptheshipment...heshipment.php

In the spirit of praying for peace on Earth

Eric

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
smile
04-30-2008, 05:10 PM
i really don't know what they are going to do with the arms but the U.S just says that these countries should not allow the arms in their country and you have to listen to them. Why does the U.S have to interfere with everything. Maybe there wasn't even any arms in that ship. Who knows?

Trumble
04-30-2008, 06:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by smile
i really don't know what they are going to do with the arms
You don't think it might be useful to find out before commenting? What do people normally do with them? :rollseyes Actually reading Eric's post might help you out.

... but the U.S just says that these countries should not allow the arms in their country and you have to listen to them. Why does the U.S have to interfere with everything. Maybe there wasn't even any arms in that ship. Who knows?
You seem to need filling in on the history. The ship has a cargo of weapons and ammunition sold by China to Zimbabwe. Both the Zimbabwean and Chinese governments have confirmed that, so there is no "maybe" about it. EVERYBODY knows. It initially tried to dock in South Africa but there was outrage in South Africa, and elsewhere, as everybody knew perfectly well the weapons were intended to be issued to Zanu PF (Mugabe) supporters (i.e thugs) to intimidate (i.e maim and kill many) opposition activists and voters so that Mugabe remained President whatever the voters might actually vote for. The South African dockers refused to unload the ship, and so did just about every other government and dockworkers union in the region. I think it eventually docked in Angola, but even then the government claimed that was only to unload goods purchased by Angola, not Zimbabwe.

The US are 'interfering', together with a great many other people, to try and prevent innocent people in Zimbabwe being killed. Maybe you think we should just sit back and watch? An odd perspective from someone living 'next door', as it were.

The_Prince
05-01-2008, 09:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
You don't think it might be useful to find out before commenting? What do people normally do with them? :rollseyes Actually reading Eric's post might help you out.

You seem to need filling in on the history. The ship has a cargo of weapons and ammunition sold by China to Zimbabwe. Both the Zimbabwean and Chinese governments have confirmed that, so there is no "maybe" about it. EVERYBODY knows. It initially tried to dock in South Africa but there was outrage in South Africa, and elsewhere, as everybody knew perfectly well the weapons were intended to be issued to Zanu PF (Mugabe) supporters (i.e thugs) to intimidate (i.e maim and kill many) opposition activists and voters so that Mugabe remained President whatever the voters might actually vote for. The South African dockers refused to unload the ship, and so did just about every other government and dockworkers union in the region. I think it eventually docked in Angola, but even then the government claimed that was only to unload goods purchased by Angola, not Zimbabwe.

The US are 'interfering', together with a great many other people, to try and prevent innocent people in Zimbabwe being killed. Maybe you think we should just sit back and watch? An odd perspective from someone living 'next door', as it were.
thats abit inconsistent, the US is trying to stop innocent people being killed? yes that is funny while at the same time they are sending money and weapons to israel which is killing palestinians everyday, the latest victims a mother and her 4 children while they ate breakfast.

so i wonder how that works! replace zimbabwe with a white european nation, and replace China with USA and not a **** person in this world would care nor complain, and thats a fact.

everyone attacking china zimbabwe etc etc, israel is openly killing women and children on a weekly basis and what do you all do? nothing, you say ohhhhhhhhhh self defense its justified!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
glo
05-01-2008, 10:40 AM
Any updates on what happened to this ship and its cargo, Eric?

I thought this a worthy petition, so I signed it. :)

Eric H
05-01-2008, 10:49 AM
Greetings and peace be with you Trumble; and thank you for all your positive comments and support.
The South African dockers refused to unload the ship, and so did just about every other government and dockworkers union in the region.
We have to encourage and support all those dockworkers and their unions for standing up for what is right. It must take courage to defy your bosses and make a stand. If people around the world are prepared to just add their voice to the voices of the dockers; then they will know they are not alone.

Eric

Trumble
05-01-2008, 10:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by The_Prince
thats abit inconsistent, the US is trying to stop innocent people being killed
It may well be, but unless your intention is to degrade this thread into general US bashing that is totally irrelevant.

The subject here is arms going to Zimbabwe, not Israel. There is no connection between the two. The US position on this arms shipment is shared by most democratic countries, including muslim ones.

glo
05-01-2008, 10:54 AM
Hi Eric

I was talking about this to a friend yesterday who is married to a Zimbabwean.
She told me that there are many Zimbabweans who live in South Africa.
Is that the reason why the dock workers refused to unload the cargo? Or do you think there is the a wider solidarity in protecting general human rights, rather than just 'protecting ones own'?

glo
05-01-2008, 10:57 AM
It may well be, but unless your intention is to degrade this thread into general US bashing that is totally irrelevant.

The subject here is arms going to Zimbabwe, not Israel. There is no connection between the two. The US position on this arms shipment is shared by most democratic countries, including muslim ones.
Well said, Trumble.
Two wrongs don't make a right. We should fight and protest against inhumane actions wherever we come across them ...

(I was going to give you reps, but I have run out ... and I wouldn't have wanted to spoil your pretty 2500 reps anyway. :D)

Eric H
05-01-2008, 11:20 AM
Greeings and peace be with you glo; and thanks for signing
Update here
http://www.iansa.org/index.htm
A spokeswoman from the Chinese government said that ship had now been recalled back to China. However, much work remains to be done. IANSA is continuing to campaign for the weapons to be impounded when the ship stops for refuelling on its return journey.
Joseph Dube, IANSA African coordinator said, "It is imperative that the Angolan government seizes these weapons in full view of the international media and Angolan civil society. If the ship refuels and returns to China, there is a real danger that the weapons will be flown to Harare."
glo
She told me that there are many Zimbabweans who live in South Africa.
Is that the reason why the dock workers refused to unload the cargo?
That would be a good reason to help their fellow countrymen.
glo
Or do you think there is the a wider solidarity in protecting general human rights, rather than just 'protecting ones own'?
That would be an even greater reason to take action

Eric

cute123
05-01-2008, 11:23 AM
In similar ways why dont you all find out some ways to stop Israelites bombing palestines? Or right now they are droving them out of their colonies.

glo
05-01-2008, 11:25 AM
Thank you for the update, Eric.

What I read from your post is that the first and foremost importance is to take appropriate action.
How noble the reasons far taking the action may be, is secondary.

What are your thoughts?

glo
05-01-2008, 11:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Asma Shaikh
In similar ways why dont you all find out some ways to stop Israelites bombing palestines? Or right now they are droving them out of their colonies.
I am sure that there are many petitions on that subject.

I just briefly googled a few:
http://www.stoparmingisrael.org/statement/
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Palestinians/
http://www.petitiononline.com/SaveGaza/petition.html
http://www.petitiononline.com/JfJfP/petition.html
http://www.petitiononline.com/stw/petition.html
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...404609,00.html

Many petitions against Israels' treatment of Palestine is driven by human rights campaigners from all faiths and none - so it is not just Muslim voices!

Do you really think the world doesn't know and/or care about the plight of Palestine? :?

cute123
05-01-2008, 11:36 AM
Yes but nothing does seem to effect in the least.

glo
05-01-2008, 11:38 AM
^ Yes, petition processes can seem slow and ineffective.
But sometimes they can really make a difference!

I just wanted you to understand that there are many non-Muslims who feel very passionate about the suffering of Palestinians.

Salaam

cute123
05-01-2008, 11:46 AM
And may be i wanted to make you understand that, right now if an option is given like supply ammunition to palestines, and thats the only way it is to save themselves. just not palestine, afghanistan, iraq, so that they can save their life or such people , who are unnecessarily victimised, should not be stopped from giving ammunitions under the hypocritical word , democracy, human rights etc

glo
05-01-2008, 12:05 PM
I would rather stop the arms trade to the oppressing countries, than encourage sending arms to the oppressed.
After all, we want the bloodshed to end, not to get worse! :cry:

I feel your compassion, sister. May God bless you!

S_87
05-01-2008, 12:07 PM
would people sign this if it was the US? would people sign this if it was Iraq? would people sign this if it was the UK?

cute123
05-01-2008, 12:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I would rather stop the arms trade to the oppressing countries, than encourage sending arms to the oppressed.
After all, we want the bloodshed to end, not to get worse! :cry:

I feel your compassion, sister. May God bless you!
This is better said than done , glo. People who have it the powers do not have brains, they have crossed their limits to be beared , infact humanity - fighting until death - is just the only solution , till the power comes back in the right and just hands.

barney
05-01-2008, 12:33 PM
Theres some evidence growing that, when america does anything...anything at all, it in the minds of a proportion of people, has to be bad.
Feed the Hungry? What are you poisining the food with?
Innoculate the children? Secret sterization programm disguised as Polio vaccine.
Petition against Mugabes thugs having MORE ammo? Interfering busybodies.

glo
05-01-2008, 12:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Asma Shaikh
This is better said than done , glo. People who have it the powers do not have brains, they have crossed their limits to be beared , infact humanity - fighting until death - is just the only solution , till the power comes back in the right and just hands.
Oh, Asma, your post is giving me a real insight into the desperation you must be feeling - a desperation perhaps shared by many oppressed and disadvatanges Muslims in the world.
Perhaps you are teaching me more about the Islamic mindset than I have understood in 2 years here ...

I pray for peace and understanding.
I pray for a common respect for humanity, no matter what religion.
I pray for God's love to spread across this world.

I am logging off to pray in private for a while. I am feeling strangely saddened now ...

Salaam

Keltoi
05-01-2008, 01:16 PM
I was actually suprised to find out how involved China has been in Africa. Perhaps I missed something, but do we know why China approved this arms deal?

The_Prince
05-01-2008, 03:49 PM

mugabe is a thug, he should be over-thrown, the guy was eating cakes and lots of food for his birthday while his ppl starve, so i have no respect for this guy.

but at the same time there has to be consistency, we cant come say oh usa is trying to stop evil now and innocent ppl from being killed, because u cant while u support the terrorist regime of Israel.

but even though topic isnt USA, its all related, and USA is interfering in everything China wants to do, sending weapons to sudan and zimbabwe and they keep nagging, well who is USA to tell China what to do when they do the same thing?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.