/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why is 'Harry Potter' considered bad?

SASB
04-24-2008, 03:14 PM
Ok so I’m 16 and I have grown up with these books my dad tried and tried to get me in to reading and nothing worked till he gave me this book at the age of 12 and ever since I have loved reading. I don't see the trouble with it ok it's about magic, but what’s the harm in reading about magic? Everyone knows it's make-believe and that’s where the enjoyment comes from to know that all of this action is happening in the book but then taking solace in the fact that you couldn't kill someone with a simple 'avarda-kadarva' or fly a 100mph on a broom stick, it's fun and not harming anyone, it stimulates young minds and encourages them to read other books. I.e. wider their horizon and knowledge through reading.

Also it could be seen as an allegorical story too in which case it only provides a overall positive message - which is, love concurs all. That is the basis of the story that in a world with something like magic and deathly one word spells, love and faith in love is still the most powerful weapon of all and can beat anything.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ali.
04-24-2008, 03:20 PM
It's not considered bad, is it? If so, by who?

Riyadh-ul-Jannah
04-24-2008, 03:23 PM
:sl:

I agree that it is not harmful because when we read the books we know that they arent real, and that they're not ging to happen, so should we not be able to read them?

:w: :)

------
04-24-2008, 03:25 PM
:salamext:

By this forum for a start lol. No harry potter threads allowed...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
------
04-24-2008, 03:33 PM

Posted by an Admin in another Harry Potter closed thread:

Originally posted by Muhammad

Another important aspect is that when we come on the forum, it is hoped we draw away from the distractions of the dunyaa and participate in an environment with an Islamic focus, thus distinguishing ourselves from other forums of a worldly genre. That's not to say we cannot ever discuss things that are not directly related to Islam, but simply that we have to exert some control over our discussions and how we spend time on here.

We've had a number of threads on Harry Potter in the past and these were often removed or closed, so it's better to avoid making more threads and what's more - you're bound to get someone spoiling the plot anyway!
Source - http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...tml#post795310

Amadeus85
04-24-2008, 04:22 PM
Harry Potter is seen as dangerous for religious people (Jews,christians and mulsims) because this book contains much occultist stuff and magical-pagan influences. You can see that there is no GOD in this book but magic,wizards, and often teenagers get interestded in this things too.

------
04-24-2008, 07:19 PM

^ Not really lol. Just a bit of fun :D

barney
04-24-2008, 07:22 PM
Harry Potter is bad cos he's a stuck up, snot-nosed do-goody brat.:raging:

And I want JK Rowlings royalties.:D

FatimaAsSideqah
04-24-2008, 07:23 PM
As Salaam Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

It is related to black magic. Which is shirk in Islam.

------
04-24-2008, 07:24 PM

^ It's nice magic lol :p Just a bit of fun sis :) It's not like it makes u wanna do magic lol

FatimaAsSideqah
04-24-2008, 07:26 PM

^ loq sister! Pffttt! :rollseyes

barney
04-24-2008, 07:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AhLÄÄM

^ It's nice magic lol :p Just a bit of fun sis :) It's not like it makes u wanna do magic lol

I was reading my star-signs the other year, Me old mum gave me a twenty long min lecture on the evils of it.
I said "Yup, OK, but I think its all utter baloney"
"Yes, but the seed is sown" quothe she of the woolley jumper and guitar christianity.
"But I think Christianity is Balony as well, so does that mean I shouldnt read the bible?"

And then we had tea. A very quiet Tea.

Pk_#2
04-24-2008, 07:59 PM
Edit

FatimaAsSideqah
04-24-2008, 08:06 PM

Harry Potter is non-existent! End of. :X

Whatsthepoint
04-24-2008, 08:29 PM
It's a pretty good read.

------
04-25-2008, 09:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by FatimaAsSideqah

Harry Potter is non-existent! End of. :X

Yeh we know sis, but does make nice reading :D

Sanobar
04-25-2008, 09:52 AM
okay... iam big harry potter fan i nevr knew there were soo many complications involved with readin or not readin it... :X

:w:

------
04-25-2008, 09:54 AM

^ There aren't... :mmokay:

Hamas
04-25-2008, 10:20 AM
I have seen and heard alot of muslims raising concerns about this whole harry potter thing, their concern is aimed at the books but mostly on the movies that are comming out and about their CHILDREN watching them and i think they should be slightly concerned if not freak out about it but most of you are adults right? so im sure a few books or movies will not influence you to do things out of the ordinary or will they? :D

Snowflake
04-25-2008, 10:25 AM
Although such stories regarding black majic may not be beneficial in the islamic sense, I don't think it is haram to read them. It depends on what follows after reading them i.e. whether one believes/practices or not.

The Quran tells the stroy of two angels, Harut and Marut who were sent to earth to teach black majic. But they warned people before teaching them, saying, "We are only a trial; so do not disbelieve." (Quran 2:102)

SASB
04-25-2008, 10:57 AM
I never realised threads on HP weren't aloud, sorry :).

And as far as balck magic is concerned I don't think it comes under that, even if it did it just reading it's like having an eveil thought it doesn't mean you'r gonna do it.

truemuslim
04-25-2008, 03:53 PM
lol why would it be haram?? interesting...everything is haram these days....cough.cough.cough.

its like the only book i can read completely without falling asleep and losing my page. seriously. its a nice book.
and the movies, theyr rated PG13, meaning u gotta be older than 13 to watch em or be wit a parent if ur younger. plus nothing in the movie is bad except "Frightening images" thats wut it says on the dvd thing. and its right. thats the only reason its rated PG13 anyway .
its good.
nothing bad is in it
and no one will go take a stick and say "wingardium leviousa" and expect somthing to start flyin so ...oh unless they stupid and OBSESSSSSED wit harry potter

truemuslim
04-25-2008, 05:03 PM
oh also, i forgot to mention.
american rating are hoorible. im serious. they rate a movie R for bad language yet rate a movie pg13 for bad language violene and more bad stuff.... and games?? woooow they are hooorible at rating those. thats for sure.

just sayin. ignore ratings. like evryone else :)

Whatsthepoint
04-25-2008, 05:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by truemuslim
oh also, i forgot to mention.
american rating are hoorible. im serious. they rate a movie R for bad language yet rate a movie pg13 for bad language violene and more bad stuff.... and games?? woooow they are hooorible at rating those. thats for sure.

just sayin. ignore ratings. like evryone else :)
They rate a movie R for brief nudity, yet some extremely violent and disturbing films only get a pg13.

S_87
04-25-2008, 05:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
Harry Potter is seen as dangerous for religious people (Jews,christians and mulsims) because this book contains much occultist stuff and magical-pagan influences. You can see that there is no GOD in this book but magic,wizards, and often teenagers get interestded in this things too.
exactly

its not nice or harmless magic, theres no such thing as harmless magic. especially when children take harry potter as an example (and yes they do, its v easy to influence teenagers!) and want to learn about this 'good' magic.
in short arent these books all about magic in an attractive manner?

truemuslim
04-25-2008, 05:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
They rate a movie R for brief nudity, yet some extremely violent and disturbing films only get a pg13.
yep. they suck at rating.

format_quote Originally Posted by amani
exactly

its not nice or harmless magic, theres no such thing as harmless magic. especially when children take harry potter as an example (and yes they do, its v easy to influence teenagers!) and want to learn about this 'good' magic.
in short arent these books all about magic in an attractive manner?
do u believe in magic? lol i reminded my self of the song. do u believe in magic, by ali an aj. lol.anyway

really??
well how come the spell that supposed to unlock doors dont work? only on oblivion?? interesting. u cant do magic. u cant believe magic. magic is not real. harry potter dont influence teens to do stupid stuff. final destination 3 does. *shivers*
harry potter is a NOT real book that people read so they can get...smart? ..its wut u do wen ur bored. not wen u wanna learn spells.

islamirama
04-25-2008, 05:32 PM
Rating system in US is also governed by social norms and movie corps that pay big money to have their ratings pg-13 so more views can watch it. There are movies now with pg-13 on them but have nudity in them. Nothing good is left to watch anymore these days.

-------------

on note of harry potter, it is knowledge that not benefit and also puts one's beliefs and eman at stake...

Oh, I've heard the argument: "Harry Potter is wonderful, it encourages kids to read!"

But do you really think that Harry Potter is the kind of reading Allah had in mind?
The Prophet tells us that witchcraft, sorcery, and magic are evil. He (peace be upon him) said, "There are three who will not enter paradise: one who is addicted to wine, one who breaks ties of relationship, and one who believes in magic." (Ahmad)

And Allah's Apostle said, "Avoid the Mubiqat, i.e., shirk and witchcraft." (Bukhari)

read more @ http://www.missionislam.com/family/harrywho.htm

truemuslim
04-25-2008, 05:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
Rating system in US is also governed by social norms and movie corps that pay big money to have their ratings pg-13 so more views can watch it. There are movies now with pg-13 on them but have nudity in them. Nothing good is left to watch anymore these days.

-------------

on note of harry potter:

Oh, I've heard the argument: "Harry Potter is wonderful, it encourages kids to read!"

But do you really think that Harry Potter is the kind of reading Allah had in mind?
The Prophet tells us that witchcraft, sorcery, and magic are evil. He (peace be upon him) said, "There are three who will not enter paradise: one who is addicted to wine, one who breaks ties of relationship, and one who believes in magic." (Ahmad)

And Allah's Apostle said, "Avoid the Mubiqat, i.e., shirk and witchcraft." (Bukhari)

ok well im not addicted to wine. and never will. i dont break ties of relationship...watever that is... and i dont believe in magic.......but i like reading harry potter.
is witchcraft even possible?

come one please dont be stupid like those old pilgrim people that hung people over a door opening up by wind...they thought they did magic

Ali.
04-25-2008, 05:38 PM

-------------

on note of harry potter, it is knowledge that not benefit and also puts one's beliefs and eman at stake...

It's a fiction book.

truemuslim
04-25-2008, 05:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali.
It's a book.

Thank u!!
ALAS, SOMEONE ...MODERN!

islamirama
04-25-2008, 05:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali.
It's a fiction book.
Prophet (saws) used to make dua aganst knowledge that does not benefit. It's a book on magic, that pollutes young minds to wana be like that, to think magic is ok and cool among other things. It promotes something very haraam in islam. Call it fiction or non-fiction, it deals with sihr and thus brings one's eman in question as well as their Hereafter destination...

Ali.
04-25-2008, 05:51 PM
Prophet (saws) used to make dua aganst knowledge that does not benefit. It's a book on magic, that pollutes young minds to wana be like that, to think magic is ok and cool among other things. It promotes something very haraam in islam. Call it fiction or non-fiction, it deals with sihr and thus brings one's eman in question as well as their Hereafter destination...

What do you think the bloody book is?

A hypnotizer that forces you to believe in magic?

It's a book created solely for the purpose of entertainment, and in my opinion it has done it's job. I've read all the HP books and I don't believe in any magic (apart from the 'evil eye'/has'ed [if that counts as magic]).

truemuslim
04-25-2008, 05:59 PM

ok, i read all the harry potter books and saw all the movies, and i dont even believe in jinn possesion, or magic in any way. magic is a fake thing that people felt like inventing back in the pioneerish/pilgrimish/indianish days.

tooth fairy. hm. ok u kno she puts a dollar under ur pillow, and if u mowed the lawn the day before she pays u $10. i kno she must be riich. and u grow up and understand she is not real. grow up= 3+ yrs old. lol.

she is not real. magic is not real. repeat after me.
magic is not real, harry potter is a book , a fiction book, the tooth fairy isnt real either. non that. keep repeating that.
thank u

Muezzin
04-25-2008, 05:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad
Another important aspect is that when we come on the forum, it is hoped we draw away from the distractions of the dunyaa and participate in an environment with an Islamic focus, thus distinguishing ourselves from other forums of a worldly genre. That's not to say we cannot ever discuss things that are not directly related to Islam, but simply that we have to exert some control over our discussions and how we spend time on here.

We've had a number of threads on Harry Potter in the past and these were often removed or closed, so it's better to avoid making more threads and what's more - you're bound to get someone spoiling the plot anyway!
From that other Harry Potter thread.

Someone linked to it earlier.

If anyone has any concerns about Harry Potter's Islamic permissibility this forum is not really the correct... forum for raising such concerns. Better to ask an imam or sheikh. I hear they have websites now.

So... thread closed, folks.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.