/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Can't read Surah Ikhlas?

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-25-2008, 12:03 AM
:sl: everyone.

I have a question regarding surah ikhlas. Someone was telling me today that for the salat that includes 3 or 4 rakats, your not supposed to read Surah Ikhlas? I know this isn't true but I dont get it. I don't know why this person said that. Thing is this "person" has been tellin my cousin this. She recently started praying and she wanted to know. Obviously this doesnt sound right. Sooo if it's not, can you guys explain it to me with evidence, so i can show it to her InshaAllah. It's pretty important obviously. Or does anyone know a good site where I can ask? InshaAllah. Ok my mom doesnt know I still come on this forum lol. So InshaAllah a reply from a reliable scholar would be better otherwise, at least some evidence :)

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-25-2008, 02:04 AM
*Bump* xD lol

- Qatada -
04-25-2008, 05:04 AM
:salamext:

http://tafsir.com/default.asp?sid=112&tid=59465

Al-Bukhari reported from `Amrah bint `Abdur-Rahman, who used to stay in the apartment of `A'ishah, the wife of the Prophet , that `A'ishah said, "The Prophet sent a man as the commander of a war expedition and he used to lead his companions in prayer with recitation (of the Qur'an). And he would complete his recitation with the recitation of `Say: He is Allah, One.' So when they returned they mentioned that to the Prophet and he said,

«سَلُوهُ لِأَيِّ شَيْءٍ يَصْنَعُ ذَلِكَ؟»

(Ask him why does he do that.) So they asked him and he said, `Because it is the description of Ar-Rahman and I love to recite it. So the Prophet said,

«أَخْبِرُوهُ أَنَّ اللهَ تَعَالَى يُحِبُّه»

(Inform him that Allah the Most High loves him.)'' This is how Al-Bukhari recorded this Hadith in his Book of Tawhid. Muslim and An-Nasa'i also recorded it. In his Book of Salah, Al-Bukhari recorded that Anas said, "A man from the Ansar used to lead the people in prayer in the Masjid of Quba'. Whenever he began a Surah in the recitation of the prayer that he was leading them, he would start by reciting `Say: He is Allah, One' until he completed the entire Surah. Then he would recite another Surah along with it (after it). And used to do this in every Rak`ah. So his companions spoke to him about this saying; `Verily, you begin the prayer with this Surah. Then you think that it is not sufficient for you unless you recite another Surah as well. So you should either recite it or leave it and recite another Surah instead.' The man replied, `I will not leave it off. If you want me to continue leading you (in prayer), I will do this; and if you all do not like it, I will leave you (i.e., I will stop leading you).' They used to consider him to be of the best of them to lead them in prayer and they did not want anyone else to lead them other than him. So, when the Prophet came they informed him of this information and he said,

«يَا فُلَانُ، مَا يَمْنَعُكَ أَنْ تَفْعَلَ مَا يَأْمُرُكَ بِهِ أَصْحَابُكَ، وَمَا حَمَلَكَ عَلَى لُزُوم هَذِهِ السُّورَةِ فِي كُلِّ رَكْعَةٍ؟»

(O so-and-so! What prevents you from doing what your companions are commanding you to do, and what makes you adhere to the recitation of this Surah in every Rak`ah) The man said, `Verily, I love it.' The Prophet replied,

«حُبُّكَ إِيَّاهَا أَدْخَلَكَ الْجَنَّة»

(Your love of it will cause you to enter Paradise.) This was recorded by Al-Bukhari, with a disconnected chain, but in a manner indicating his approval.

- Qatada -
04-25-2008, 05:08 AM

that companion read it in every raka'ah and he even read it as Imam in congregation (i.e. the Fardh prayers - 4 raka'ah, or 3 in maghrib) - but Allah's Messenger (sal Allahu alaihi wasalam) didn't stop him.

Allah knows best.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Snowflake
04-25-2008, 09:54 AM
SubhanAllah, I was told by a few people that in four rakah fard, you only read surah Ikhlaas in the first two rakahs and have been doing this since :x

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-25-2008, 02:30 PM
^^Omg I'm glad I asked this then Alhamdulillah.

JazakAllah Khair bro Qatada, that was helpful :)

InshaAllah maybe I'll wait for more replies, incase some others can help :D I just found out my dad prays like this =/. So I guess the more evidence, the better! But this explains it still.

:sl:

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-25-2008, 04:15 PM
Ok I have a problem now...my aunt was saying this also. She prays this way too. I'm realllly confused now lol. So basically there are four people saying this! Ahh.

- Qatada -
04-25-2008, 06:01 PM

no, don't misunderstand what i quoted. what may have been implied is that this companion read surah ikhlaas so much, hence the 'every' - i'm not sure.. i've been taught that you recite upto ameen in the last 2 raka'ahs of the 4 fardh too..

we'll have to confirm that by a scholar insha Allah..

islamirama
04-25-2008, 07:48 PM
What that hadith is saying is that this sahabi has a favorite ayah and loved that ayah and used to recite that ayah after Fatiha in every salaah. And because of his love for that ayah, prophet (saw) said what he said. I"m sure we all have some ayah we love more and is our favorite :)

------
04-25-2008, 08:04 PM

I've been taught like sis Jazzy and Muslimah_Sis...help! :ooh:

islamirama
04-25-2008, 09:06 PM
I've learned that you have to recite fatiha in every rakah, after that anything you recite is optional....didn't find anything on islamqa on this either...

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-25-2008, 09:27 PM
Ok I think I'm not doing it right. So far anyone I've asked is saying only up to two rakats. I dunno how I even started to pray like that. But still I think I WILL get it confirmed InshaAllah. JazakAllah Khair though :)

Güven
05-29-2008, 01:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
I've learned that you have to recite fatiha in every rakah, after that anything you recite is optional....didn't find anything on islamqa on this either...
So after Surah Fatiha EVERY surah is optional?? I Mean Can you read Whatever Surah you want After Surah Fatiha????

'Abd al-Baari
05-29-2008, 01:57 PM

I Mean Can you read Whatever Surah you want After Surah Fatiha????
Yeh, thats right akhee^

However it is better too read in order of the Quraan. For example if a person reads Surah Duha in the first Rak'ah, then they should read Surha Inshirah, Teen, Alaq, Qadr etc etc. They shouldn't read from above i.e Surah Layl, Shamsh etc. waAllahu A'lam

:w: :)

------
05-29-2008, 01:57 PM

^ no no no...u understood it all wrong! lol @ Guven

He means that you have to recite Surah Fatiha in every rakah, but whatever Surah u recite after that, u can choose. You dont have to recite Surah Ikhlaas.

cute123
05-29-2008, 02:03 PM
This is the abstract from the way the Prophet (sallalho alaihi wassalam) prayed.

7- Witr prayer
"He (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) used to recite "Glorify the Name of Your Lord Most High" (al-A'laa 87:19) in the first rak'ah, "Say: O you who disbelieve" (Kaafiroon 109:6) in the second, and "Say: He is Allaah the One and Only" (Ikhlaas 112:4) in the third.268 Sometimes he would add on to the last one "Say: I seek refuge with the Lord of Daybreak" (Falaq 113:5) and "Say: I seek refuge with the Lord of Mankind" (Naas 114:6).269 Once, "he recited a hundred aayaat from soorah an-Nisaa' (4:176) in the third rak'ah."270

As for the two rak'ahs after witr271, he used to recite "When the earth is shaken " (Zilzaal 99:8) and "Say: O you who disbelieve" (Kaafiroon 109:6) in them.272
Source:

http://muttaqun.com/prayer/09.html#RTFToC21
http://muttaqun.com/prayer/toc.html

Hope that helps.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-29-2008, 03:19 PM

JazakAllah Khair sis =]

------
05-29-2008, 03:21 PM

@ Asma - thats only for Witr though.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-29-2008, 03:24 PM
Yea but still thanks. I'm not sure if anyone really understood my question. Everyone is tellin me that when u get to the 3rd and 4th rakat, you can't recite Surah Ikhlas. The imam at my local Masjid said to do 2 sajadas at the end if you do recite Ikhlas by mistake. Any legitimacy to that? Just to be safe, I make sure I stop at the second rakat.

------
05-29-2008, 03:25 PM

Everyone is tellin me that when u get to the 3rd and 4th rakat, you can't recite Surah Ikhlas.
This is what I was taught as well...

Umar001
05-29-2008, 03:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jazzy
Yea but still thanks. I'm not sure if anyone really understood my question. Everyone is tellin me that when u get to the 3rd and 4th rakat, you can't recite Surah Ikhlas. The imam at my local Masjid said to do 2 sajadas at the end if you do recite Ikhlas by mistake. Any legitimacy to that? Just to be safe, I make sure I stop at the second rakat.
You mean when you are doing those units? Well I would advise you to check Al Albani's book, which if my memory serves me correct, talks about whether you can recite more than Al Fatiha, not only Surah Ikhlas but any other surah, in the rakah after the first two, meaning the 3rd or 4th.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-29-2008, 03:27 PM
Ok so it's right then. I've had a lot of people tell me.

I dunno how my mom started to pray like that, but I learned it from her.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-29-2008, 03:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
You mean when you are doing those units? Well I would advise you to check Al Albani's book, which if my memory serves me correct, talks about whether you can recite more than Al Fatiha, not only Surah Ikhlas but any other surah, in the rakah after the first two, meaning the 3rd or 4th.

Do you know the name of it by any chance? Or where to find it preferably.

Umar001
05-29-2008, 03:33 PM

Do you know the name of it by any chance? Or where to find it preferably.
Wa Alaykum Salam Wa Rahmatullah,

It is in the link above, though I am looking through it and cannot find what I am looking for.

I don't think Shaykh Al Albani was right, i.e. I think there was a difference IN THIS POINT, Allah knows best.

Ok so it's right then. I've had a lot of people tell me.

I dunno how my mom started to pray like that, but I learned it from her.
Describe what you mean sister, exactly what you are speaking of?

Umar001
05-29-2008, 03:43 PM
Read all please.

When joining a congregational prayer in the 3rd or 4th rakah, do we have to make up for the recitation of surah's other than the fatiha that the imaam read in his 1st and 2nd rakah, but we missed?.

Praise be to Allaah.

1 – Reciting Qur’aan after al-Faatihah in prayer is not obligatory, either in a fard (obligatory) prayer or a naafil (supererogatory) prayer, whether the prayer is one in which Qur’aan is recited out loud or one in which it is recited silently, whether one is joining the prayer late or otherwise.

It was narrated that ‘Ata’ said: Abu Hurayrah said: In every prayer there is recitation. What we heard the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say, we tell you, and what he did not tell us about we cannot tell you. Whoever recites Umm al-Kitaab (i.e., Soorat al-Faatihah) has done enough, and whoever does more than that, that is better.

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 738; Muslim, 396.

Al-Nawawi said:

The phrase, “Whoever recites Umm al-Kitaab (i.e., Soorat al-Faatihah) has done enough, and whoever does more than that, that is better” indicates that reciting al-Faatihah is obligatory, and that nothing else will do.

It also indicates that reciting a soorah after al-Faatihah is mustahabb. There is scholarly consensus on this point with regard to Fajr, Jumu’ah and the first two rak’ahs of every prayer, and this is Sunnah according to all scholars. Al-Qaadi ‘Iyaad (may Allaah have mercy on him) narrated that some of the companions of Maalik said that reciting a second soorah is obligatory, but this is an odd view which is to be rejected.

With regard to reciting an additional soorah in the third and fourth rak’ahs, there was a difference of opinion among the scholars as to whether it is mustahabb or not. Maalik (may Allaah have mercy on him) regarded it as makrooh. Al-Shaafa’i (may Allaah be pleased with him) regarded it as mustahabb in his new opinion but not in his old opinion; the old opinion in this case is more correct.

Sharh Muslim, 4/105, 106.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

According to the majority of scholars, reciting another soorah (after al-Faatihah) is Sunnah and is not obligatory, because it is obligatory to recite only al-Faatihah.

Al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 3/103

If you stand up to complete your prayer after the imam has said the tasleem, then the correct scholarly view is that the rak’ahs in which you caught up with the imam form the first part of your prayer. See question no. 23426. If what remains of your prayer is the third and fourth rak’ahs, then you should recite al-Faatihah only; if what remains is the second and subsequent rak’ahs, then in the second you should recite al-Faatihah plus another soorah, and in the remaining rak’ahs you should recite al-Faatihah only.

It is permissible for a worshipper to recite another soorah after al-Faatihah in the third and fourth rak’ahs, but he should do that only sometimes; it was narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did this according to a hadeeth narrated by Muslim (452).

And Allaah knows best.

http://islamqa.com/en/ref/6422

If the matter was what I think it was then the above should help, insha'Allah.

------
05-29-2008, 03:44 PM

It is permissible for a worshipper to recite another soorah after al-Faatihah in the third and fourth rak’ahs, but he should do that only sometimes; it was narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did this according to a hadeeth narrated by Muslim (452).
Jazaak Allaah Khayr!! :D

Al-Zaara
05-29-2008, 04:07 PM
Selam aleykum,

Maybe this will help?
Question:

During prayer, when you recite surah fatiha in each rakah, do you recite a different surah too or can you just recite the same surah in each rakah after surah fatiha?
Answer:

Assalamu alaykum

It is somewhat disliked (makruh tanzihan) to repeat the same sura in consecutive rakats of an obligatory prayer. It is not disliked to do so in a supererogatory prayer. [Ibn Abidin]

Sohail Hanif
Question:

I was told when I was taught to pray that, when reciting the surahs after Surah Fatihah that these surahs must be recited in the order that they are in the Qur'an. So that when reading 2 rak'as the first rak'a you could read Surah Al-Ikhlas and then the 2nd you would have to read Surah An-Nas or Surah Al-Falaq. Could your please clarify this.
Answer:

In the name of Allah, most Gracious and Merciful

Assalamu Alaykum,

Reciting the suras in the order that they are in the Qur'an is necessary (wajib) in the obligatory prayer. Deliberately reciting in a reversed order is prohibitively disliked (makruh tahriman). It is also prohibitively disliked to deliberately leave out a sura between two suras. For example, if one recites surat al-Ikhlas in the first prayer cycle, than one must necessarily recite surat al-Falaq in the second prayer cycle. If one recites surat al-Masad instead, or surat al-Nas, than it would be prohibitively disliked (on the condition that one does so deliberately). This is because in the first example, one recites in reverse, and in the second example, one leaves out a sura (surat al-Falaq) between two suras. None of this is disliked in the voluntary (nafl) prayer. [Durr al-Mukhtar, Radd al-Muhtar, page 367 volume 1]

And Allah knows best

Fadi Qutub

What is the ruling of reciting the Fatiha in the final two rakats of prayer?

In the Hanafi school, it is not necessary (wajib) to recite the Fatiha in the third and fourth rakats of the prayer. Rather, it is a sunna to recite the Fatiha. The sunna is also fulfilled by saying the tasbihs (=saying SubhanAllah) three times.

This has been transmitted, by Ibn Abi Shayba in his Musannaf and others, from Ali, Abd Allah ibn Mas`ud, Ibrahim al-Nakha`I, and others, with sound chains of transmitters. Details may be found in I`la' al-Sunan.

Abu Ishaq reported from both Ali and Abd Allah [ibn Mas`ud] that they said, "Recite in the first two, and do tasbihs in the last two." (Musannaf Ibn Abi Shayba) That is, it is permitted to do so.

Reciting the Fatiha is Superior

Note, however, that reciting the Fatiha is superior, even though both are permitted.
In Non-Obligatory (Fard) Prayers One Needs to Recite the Fatiha in all Rakats
Note, too, that this is only in obligatory prayers. In one's witr, sunnah, and voluntary (nafl) prayers, it is necessary (wajib) to recite in every rakat. [Ibn Abidin, Radd al-Muhtar]
And Allah alone gives success.

Güven
05-29-2008, 05:02 PM
So just to clarify it, For example Asr prayer: 4 rakat Fard , that means first rakah fatiha and then Ichlaas and second rakah again fatiha and then Surah Al-Falaq and third rakah only Fatiha And fourth Rakah Again only Fatiha , correct ?????

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-29-2008, 06:58 PM
Yes bro Habeshi, you got it right. JazakAllah Khair for that brother Habeshi and sis Zaara :) That did actually help.

------
05-29-2008, 07:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven
So just to clarify it, For example Asr prayer: 4 rakat Fard , that means first rakah fatiha and then Ichlaas and second rakah again fatiha and then Surah Al-Falaq and third rakah only Fatiha And fourth Rakah Again only Fatiha , correct ?????

Yup.

Al-Zaara
05-29-2008, 07:03 PM
Selam aleykum we rahmetallahu,

Note, this is according to the Hanafi madhab, inshaAllah.

As far as I have understood it in that example given, according to the Hanafi madhab, that is correct. See below.

QIRAAT: Means to read by mouth gently. Reading gently means here to read only as loud as one can hear. The reading is called jahri, that is, loud if it is heard by people who stand on each side of the reader. It is fard to say an ayat of the Qur'an while standing at every rakat of sunnats and of the witr and at two rakats of the fard when performing namaz individually. It brings more thawab to say a short sura. As qiraat, it is wajib to say the Fatiha sura at these parts of prayers and to say also a sura or three ayats at every rakat of sunnats and of witr prayer and at two rakats of the fard. In the fard (prayers of namaz that are obligatory), it is wajib or sunnat to say the Fatiha and the (other) sura at the first two rakats. Additionally, it is wajib to say the Fatiha before the sura. Furthermore, it is wajib to say the Fatiha once at every rakat. If one of these five wajibs is forgotten, it is necessary to make sajda-i shaw. According to some more dependable information, at third and fourth rakats of the fard, it is sunnat for the imam as well as for a person who performs namaz by oneself to say the Fatiha. It will be all right whether he says the additional sura, too, or says nothing. (Ibni Abidin, page 343). Please see the sixty-seventh chapter of the Turkish version concerning a person who does not pronounce correctly! In the other three Madhhabs, it is fard to say the Fatiha in every namaz and in every rakat.

The Person Performing salah Individually Must Recite Surah Fatiha, Not the Muqtadi

Hazrat Abdullah Ibn Umar (radhiallahu anhu) was asked: "Must the muqtadi recite behind the Imam?" He replied that the qiraat of the Imam is sufficient for the muqtadi. But if he performs salah individually, then he must recite qiraat. It was the practice of Hazrat Abdullah Ibn Umar (radhiallahu anhu) also that he would not recite surah fatiha behind the Imam. (In Aathaarus Sunan (Vol. 1 pg.89) this Hadith has been classified as sahih).
Hazrat Jaabir (radhiallahu anhu) narrates that the one who does not recite sura fatiha even in one rakat, his salah is not valid. However, if he is behind an Imam he must not recite surah fatiha. (This Hadith has been classified as hasan — Tirmizi - ch. on not reciting behind the Imam). It is on the basis of this Hadith that Imam Tirmidhi (R.A.) has narrated from Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal (R.A.) [who was the teacher of the ustad of Imam Bukhari (R.A.)] that the narration "Whoever does not recite surah fatiha his salah is not complete" refers to one who performs his salah alone. It does not include the muqtadi (Jami’ Tirmidhi, ibid). In the above Hadith it is very clearly mentioned that the muqtadi must not recite sura fatiha.
WAJIBS of NAMAZ, SAJDA-I SAHW

The wajibs of namaz are to say (the sura of) Fatiha, to say one additional sura or ayat after the Fatiha, to say the additional sura in the first and second rakats of the fard prayers and in every rakat of the sunnats, to make the (two) sajdas one right after the other, to sit as long as the tashahhud in the second rakat, to say the Attahiyyatu while sitting in the last rakat, to make the tadil-i arkan, i.e. to be still as long as to say 'Subhanallah', [It is sunnat to be still longer than that.] to say "assalamu..." at the end of namaz, to say the qunut prayer, to say, for the imam, the ayats loudly in the prayers of morning, Friday, Iyd, Tarawih, Witr, and in the first two rakats of evening and night prayers, and finally to recite, for the imam as well as for a person performing namaz by himself, the ayats on the level of a whisper in the early and late afternoon prayers, in the third rakat of the evening prayer and in the third and fourth rakats of the night prayer. It is written is Bazaziyya that it is not makruh for one's recitation to be in a whisper to be heard by one or two people and that 'reciting loudly' means having been heard by many people.
Here is an excellent PDF-file if you want to check it out (again, Hanafi), page 115.

http://www.dawateislami.org/library/.../lit-417-1.pdf

Güven
05-29-2008, 07:41 PM
OO Jazakallahu Khair, Now everthing is clear to me (I think:))

So in the fard prayer you have to read after Fatiha in the first two rakah, a Surah of your choice and in the third and fourth rakah only Fatiha Is enough.
and if its a sunnah prayer you have to read In every rakah after fatiha a surah of your choice correct ??

and I just learned yesterday the Surah Al-Kafiroon so If I read it in the first rakah after fatiha then I Have to read in the second rakah Surah An-Nasr??
Or Ichlaas Or doesnt it matter ???

btw Im Sorry I ask too much, I prayed for years but nobody taught me properly :)

Umar001
05-29-2008, 08:14 PM

So in the fard prayer you have to read after Fatiha in the first two rakah, a Surah of your choice and in the third and fourth rakah only Fatiha Is enough.
and if its a sunnah prayer you have to read In every rakah after fatiha a surah of your choice correct ??

and I just learned yesterday the Surah Al-Kafiroon so If I read it in the first rakah after fatiha then I Have to read in the second rakah Surah An-Nasr??

btw Im Sorry I ask too much, I prayed for years but nobody taught me properly :)
I dont know if you have to read a surah after surah fatiha, and I dont know about having to read in orders.

Güven
05-29-2008, 10:13 PM
I found A hadith wich says :

Hudhaifa reported: I prayed with the Apostle of Allah (may peace be upon him) one night and he started reciting al-Baqara. I thought that he would bow at the end of one hundred verses, but he proceeded on; I then thought that he would perhaps recite the whole (surah) in a rak'ah, but he proceeded and I thought he would perhaps bow on completing (this surah). He then started al-Nisa', and recited it; he then started Al-i-'Imran and recited leisurely. And when he recited the verses which referred to the Glory of Allah, he glorified (by saying Subhan Allah-Glory to my Lord the Great), and when he recited the verses which tell (how the Lord) is to be begged, he (the Holy Prophet) would then beg (from Him), and when he recited the verses dealing with protection from the Lord, he sought (His) protection and would then bow and say: Glory be to my Mighty Lord; his bowing lasted about the same length of time as his standing (and then on returning to the standing posture after ruku') he would say: Allah listened to him who praised Him, and he would then stand about the same length of time as he had spent in bowing. He would then prostrate himself and say: Glory be to my Lord most High, and his prostration lasted nearly the same length of time as his standing. In the hadith transmitted by Jarir the words are:" He (the Holy Prophet) would say:" Allah listened to him who praised Him, our Lord, to Thee i the praise."
Book 004, Number 1697:Sahih Muslim

So this means The Prophet (Saw) first reads Baqarah(2) and then Surah Nisa(4) and then surah Al-imraan (3) so not necessarly in a order,
please correct me if im wrong.

Al-Zaara
05-30-2008, 03:50 AM
We iyyak.

Correct, inshaAllah.

There was a post on this somewhere in the beginning of this thread.

Question:

I was told when I was taught to pray that, when reciting the surahs after Surah Fatihah that these surahs must be recited in the order that they are in the Qur'an. So that when reading 2 rak'as the first rak'a you could read Surah Al-Ikhlas and then the 2nd you would have to read Surah An-Nas or Surah Al-Falaq. Could your please clarify this.

Answer:

In the name of Allah, most Gracious and Merciful

Assalamu Alaykum,

Reciting the suras in the order that they are in the Qur'an is necessary (wajib) in the obligatory prayer. Deliberately reciting in a reversed order is prohibitively disliked (makruh tahriman). It is also prohibitively disliked to deliberately leave out a sura between two suras. For example, if one recites surat al-Ikhlas in the first prayer cycle, than one must necessarily recite surat al-Falaq in the second prayer cycle. If one recites surat al-Masad instead, or surat al-Nas, than it would be prohibitively disliked (on the condition that one does so deliberately). This is because in the first example, one recites in reverse, and in the second example, one leaves out a sura (surat al-Falaq) between two suras. None of this is disliked in the voluntary (nafl) prayer. [Durr al-Mukhtar, Radd al-Muhtar, page 367 volume 1]

And Allah knows best

Fadi Qutub

islamirama
05-30-2008, 03:54 AM

Salah - learn how to pray - http://www.geocities.com/teachmesalaat/

Salah - step by step -
http://www.as-sabereen.com/dosalat.htm

Salah - The Muslim Prayer (book)- http://wings.buffalo.edu/sa/muslim/l...lah/index.html

Some surahs, easy to learn - http://mounthira.com

Umar001
05-30-2008, 09:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara

Correct, inshaAllah.
So is this saying if I'm praying I have to read Al Fatiha and then I HAVE TO, meaning it is obligatory for me to read another surah too?

------
05-30-2008, 09:04 AM

^ Only in the first 2 rakah's, as it said in the fatwa you posted earlier on.

islamirama
05-30-2008, 03:01 PM
Praise be to Allaah.

1 – Reciting Qur’aan after al-Faatihah in prayer is not obligatory, either in a fard (obligatory) prayer or a naafil (supererogatory) prayer, whether the prayer is one in which Qur’aan is recited out loud or one in which it is recited silently, whether one is joining the prayer late or otherwise.

It was narrated that ‘Ata’ said: Abu Hurayrah said: In every prayer there is recitation. What we heard the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say, we tell you, and what he did not tell us about we cannot tell you. Whoever recites Umm al-Kitaab (i.e., Soorat al-Faatihah) has done enough, and whoever does more than that, that is better.
Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 738; Muslim, 396.

Al-Nawawi said:
The phrase, “Whoever recites Umm al-Kitaab (i.e., Soorat al-Faatihah) has done enough, and whoever does more than that, that is better” indicates that reciting al-Faatihah is obligatory, and that nothing else will do.

It also indicates that reciting a soorah after al-Faatihah is mustahabb (recommended). There is scholarly consensus on this point with regard to Fajr, Jumu’ah and the first two rak’ahs of every prayer, and this is Sunnah according to all scholars. Al-Qaadi ‘Iyaad (may Allaah have mercy on him) narrated that some of the companions of Maalik said that reciting a second soorah is obligatory, but this is an odd view which is to be rejected.

With regard to reciting an additional soorah in the third and fourth rak’ahs, there was a difference of opinion among the scholars as to whether it is mustahabb or not. Maalik (may Allaah have mercy on him) regarded it as makrooh. Al-Shaafa’i (may Allaah be pleased with him) regarded it as mustahabb in his new opinion but not in his old opinion; the old opinion in this case is more correct.
Sharh Muslim, 4/105, 106.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:
According to the majority of scholars, reciting another soorah (after al-Faatihah) is Sunnah and is not obligatory, because it is obligatory to recite only al-Faatihah.
Al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 3/103

And Allaah knows best.

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/6422

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-30-2008, 04:13 PM
Ok I get it now but....my mom called the Imam at our local Masjid and he said if you happen to do it by mistake, which happens sometimes cuz im so used to it, you should do 2 sajadas "after" your salah. What do you guys think of that?

islamirama
05-30-2008, 04:59 PM
Ok I get it now but....my mom called the Imam at our local Masjid and he said if you happen to do it by mistake, which happens sometimes cuz im so used to it, you should do 2 sajadas "after" your salah. What do you guys think of that?
....Reasons for doing the prostration of forgetfulness .

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-30-2008, 05:38 PM
^^ JazakAllah Khair :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.