/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Am I allowed to kill this person? (Euthanasia)

Al-Zaara
04-25-2008, 06:13 PM
Selam aleykum,

My younger sister just gave me a scenario in which she asked for the Islamic ruling in and I wondered and at some point I know what the answer might be, but nothing I came to think of seemed absolute, and maybe there is no absolute answer?

Scenario: A man or woman, totally handicapped, can't move, can hardly breath, can't live without help but still the brain is functionate so that the person sees everything and does hear and know what is going on, but cannot move from tip to toe. This person is asking to get help to die. He or she is totally miserable and the truth is, they won't function ever again and can't do anything ever again, so their sorrow is more than justified.

Is this allowed?
I know to kill oneself is forbidden, but what if another person killed him/her?
Or does the thought/or call for help 'I want to die' be enough to proclaim the person commited suicide even though someone else killed them?

I hope my last question is understandable.

JazakAllahu kheyrun.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Snowflake
04-25-2008, 06:31 PM
No sis, it's not allowed to kill under such circumstances. As muslims we believe that the suffering of illness wipes away our sins. We should remind that person of this and also of the torture of the grave and jahanum which they may be saved from due to their present suffering. Even the extreme kind of suffering in this world will seem like a blessing compared to the tortures of the hereafter.

I'm certain it's haram but will bring daleel inshaAllah

Snowflake
04-25-2008, 06:35 PM
found this

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503544774

And......

The prohibition of direct active euthanasia and the prohibition of suicide and assisting in bringing it about, for according to the Shari`ah killing a patient suffering from a terminal illness is not permissible for the physician, the patient’s family, or the patient himself. The patient, whatever his illness, and however sick he (or she) is, shall not be killed because of desperation and loss of hope in recovery or to prevent the transfer of the patient’s disease to others, and whoever commits the act of killing will be a deliberate killer. The Qur’an confirms without a shadow of a doubt that homicide is absolutely forbidden, as Allah Almighty says: (And take not life, which Allah has made sacred, except by way of justice and law.) (Al-An`am 6: 151)

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503549272

piXie
04-25-2008, 06:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara
Selam aleykum,

Scenario: A man or woman, totally handicapped, can't move, can hardly breath, can't live without help but still the brain is functionate so that the person sees everything and does hear and know what is going on, but cannot move from tip to toe.
Wa'alaykum Assalam,

This person is asking to get help to die.
how?

EDIT: Aameen...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Umar001
04-25-2008, 06:41 PM
SubhanAllah may Allah save us from such a situation.

glo
04-26-2008, 06:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
SubhanAllah may Allah save us from such a situation.
I agree.

I too believe that life is God-given and sacred, and that it should not be taken by human hand.

But if I watched a loved one die from a slow and painful illness, and s/he begged me to help him/her to die, I don't know what decision I would come to.

May God spare me from ever having to make such a decision!

Fishermans_eye
04-26-2008, 12:41 PM
You should read this!

http://mysticsaint.blogspot.com/2007...-and-more.html

I'll pm you a link.

Al-Zaara
04-26-2008, 01:10 PM
JazakiAllah kheyr sister Muslimah_Sis.

I thought it was something like that, but wondered if it might be allowed under certain circumstances..

format_quote Originally Posted by piXie
Wa'alaykum Assalam,

how?

EDIT: Aameen...
Through a machine, you know. That it is slightly possibly for the person to communicate, to say yes and no and a few sentences.

Me and my sister watched the documentary of a man who went through this, in swedish. It was called "Jocke hette Sussies man".
Maybe it is available to see somewhere online..

format_quote Originally Posted by glo
But if I watched a loved one die from a slow and painful illness, and s/he begged me to help him/her to die, I don't know what decision I would come to.
Yea, that was kinda the dilemma.

format_quote Originally Posted by Fishermans_eye
You should read this!

http://mysticsaint.blogspot.com/2007...-and-more.html

I'll pm you a link.
OK, jazakAllah kheyr, I'll read it now inshaAllah.

Ahmed.
04-27-2008, 06:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara
Selam aleykum,

My younger sister just gave me a scenario in which she asked for the Islamic ruling in and I wondered and at some point I know what the answer might be, but nothing I came to think of seemed absolute, and maybe there is no absolute answer?

Scenario: A man or woman, totally handicapped, can't move, can hardly breath, can't live without help but still the brain is functionate so that the person sees everything and does hear and know what is going on, but cannot move from tip to toe. This person is asking to get help to die. He or she is totally miserable and the truth is, they won't function ever again and can't do anything ever again, so their sorrow is more than justified.

Is this allowed?
I know to kill oneself is forbidden, but what if another person killed him/her?
Or does the thought/or call for help 'I want to die' be enough to proclaim the person commited suicide even though someone else killed them?

I hope my last question is understandable.

JazakAllahu kheyrun.
Salaam sis,

There is an error in your understanding of the whole issue sis [but this error is understandable initself] and that is that, the person asking help to die, can never be justifed, no mater how much he she is suffering and the reason for this is; life is not about 'enjoying oneself' or to get a certain amount of pleasure, enjoyment, etc, from life, but it is to obey Allah and be content with that; the thuoght that this life is temporary [and incredibly short, compared to the 'real' life we start after death] and that we are only here to know our Lord and earn the hereafter, should make us content and happy with worshipping Allah no matter in what condition Allah has kept us.

For a person as you have described above, he/she would probably only be required to worship Allah [praise Allah, make dua, etc,] in their thoughts...and such a person shuold be taught the meaning and purpose of life and thereafter that person should patiently persevere and practice to be content with his/her life [even if it is just worshipping Allah in thuoght] and look forward to the hereafter.

If the person experiences great pain and suffering due to breathing difficulties [or any other painfull physical conditions], then ofcourse they should be given whatever medical help possible, and they shuold be taught the prayer [to say in their minds] "Oh Allah please I beg of You please dont bestow upon me what I cannot bear", and he/she has to yet patiently endure the suffering for the sake of Allah, for life is only but a test and Allah does not bestow on anyone what they cannot bear...

The story of the Prophet Ayub [as], who underwent immense suffering, shows us that the Islamic way is to continue to give thanks to Allah no matter what He bestows upon you, and tests you with.

There is also a hadith in which it says [to the exent] that a man was wounded in war, and due to the excruciating pain of his wounds, he killed himself [rather than wait for death to naturally take it's toll], and it was said about him that he will end up in hell for he weren't patient with Allah.

my half penny

Salaam :)

Ahmed.
04-27-2008, 06:11 PM
And ofcourse, it's easier said than done; may Allah never put any of us through such hardship and may He grant all mankind a good quality of life, ameen

Al-Zaara
05-01-2008, 09:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bhai
Salaam sis,

There is an error in your understanding of the whole issue sis [but this error is understandable initself] and that is that, the person asking help to die, can never be justifed, no mater how much he she is suffering and the reason for this is; life is not about 'enjoying oneself' or to get a certain amount of pleasure, enjoyment, etc, from life, but it is to obey Allah and be content with that; the thuoght that this life is temporary [and incredibly short, compared to the 'real' life we start after death] and that we are only here to know our Lord and earn the hereafter, should make us content and happy with worshipping Allah no matter in what condition Allah has kept us.
Aleykum selam bro,

You are completely right. I have been thinking about this what you said for 2 days now and wondered and tried to really understand this and now yeah, I believe I do. I must admit I find it hard to say a person is not justified to say they would like to die in such a situation, but now when you again made me remember it really isn't about pleasure in this life.. And nothing justifies the want to kill oneself. There might be reasons, but no, it is not an real excuse for the reasons you've mentioned above. It is far better to live here in this life, pray for forgiveness and such, get the punishments for our sins here, than to get punished in the Afterlife. Far better.

So I thank you very much for pointing this out. Although I know I always knew this but I still wasn't able to implement that belief in situations like those mentioned!!

JazakAllah kheyr with Jannah, amiin!

Salaam :)
Aleykum selam!!

Al-Zaara
05-01-2008, 09:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bhai
And ofcourse, it's easier said than done; may Allah never put any of us through such hardship and may He grant all mankind a good quality of life, ameen
Amiin, inshaAllah!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.