/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Dogs?

Seri
04-26-2008, 01:56 AM
:sl:

I saw something extremely strange while i was driving, i saw a young girl wearing hijab taking her poodle for a walk.
is there some sort of exception in Islam that says we can have a dog, not that i want one because i find them unhygenic and i know that if you own large property or a farm that you can have working or guard dogs but im pretty sure that poodles dont count.
please explain???

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Seri
04-26-2008, 02:57 AM
...dont all answer at once:(... lol jokes

adeeb
04-26-2008, 03:10 AM
that's must be haram thing to do... so dont have it...

maybe she's new muslim, or ... many reasons for just one accident...

ashley66
04-28-2008, 12:38 AM
Maybe she helped to take care of someone else's dog. Muslim cannot keep dog as a pet.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
truemuslim
04-28-2008, 12:41 AM
wow....

I think its only haram if u keep it as a pet...like ashley66 said.

oh btw this is when the game "make an excuse" becomes useful.. lol

islamirama
04-28-2008, 12:51 AM
According to Islaamic Sharee’ah, it is not permitted to keep a dog except within narrowly-defined limits, as the Prophet

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) explained: "Whoever keeps a dog, his good deeds will decrease every day by one qeeraat (a unit of measurement), unless it is a dog for farming or herding." According to another report: ". . . unless it is a dog for herding sheep, farming or hunting." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, al-Fath, 2322)

Dogs are extremely naajis (impure, unclean). The Prophet

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "If a dog drinks from the vessel of any one of you, let him wash it seven times" (reported by Muslim, no. 279). According to another report: ". . . and clean it the eighth time with earth." (Saheeh Muslim, no. 280).

It is forbidden in Islaam to sell a dog and to receive payment for it, as is reported in Saheeh al-Bukhaari from Abu Mas’oud al-Ansaari: the Messenger of Allaah

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade (accepting) the price of a dog. (al-Fath, no. 2237)

Whoever keeps a dog in his house is denied the blessing of the angels’ presence in his house, as the Messenger of Allaah

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "The angels do not enter a house in which there is a dog." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, 3225).

Keeping dogs nowadays is the habit of the kuffaar, who adopt them as friends, kiss them, let them lick them and their clothes, sleep with them and even leave them money in their wills. Keeping a dog is an imitation of the kuffaar. Some Muslims may claim that they need to keep a dog at home for purposes of protection, to which we respond that nowadays there are burglar alarm systems and other measures one may take for security purposes, and there is no need to keep a dog, praise be to Allaah.

It only remains for us to say that the fact that it is forbidden to keep a dog and interect closely with it does not mean that we should not be kind or feel compassion towards dogs if we see them in a pitiful state. These are two entirely separate matters. The Prophet

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told us that "a man saw a dog biting the dust because of thirst, so he took his shoe and started to scoop water up with it until the dog’s thirst was quenched. Allaah appreciated his good deed and granted him entry to Paradise for it." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, no. 174

http://islamqa.com/index.php?ref=377&ln=eng

truemuslim
04-28-2008, 03:24 AM
^ That pretty much answers everything! Jazakallah khair brother!
(yet again...the good websites u got) :)

WaSalaam

Seri
04-28-2008, 12:32 PM
Thankyou brothers and sisters

hayati
04-28-2008, 03:18 PM
but there's a lot of stories that those so called dog save a human's life. We should not ignore the fact that they are just waiting for the HELP from the humans.

Pk_#2
04-28-2008, 03:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Seri
:sl:

I saw something extremely strange while i was driving, i saw a young girl wearing hijab taking her poodle for a walk.
is there some sort of exception in Islam that says we can have a dog, not that i want one because i find them unhygenic and i know that if you own large property or a farm that you can have working or guard dogs but im pretty sure that poodles dont count.
please explain???

:w:
It might be a guard dog,

A guide dog, if the sister is blind (God forbid)

A seizure dog (God forbid)

Or maybe she isn't aware that keeping a dog as a pet is haraam, it like not knowing all the laws, not everyone knows all the laws etc, everyone is a learner,

AsalamuAlaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh.

islamirama
04-28-2008, 04:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by hayati
but there's a lot of stories that those so called dog save a human's life. We should not ignore the fact that they are just waiting for the HELP from the humans.
No one doubts that the dogs are very social creatures and have helped man many a times. The christians have taken this relationship to the extreme like they did with their prophet. Islam is a religion of moderation and likes everything in moderate portions. Dogs are allowed to keep for herding and guards and hunting or other permissible reason allowed in islamic law but not as pets. That doesn't mean we treat it like trash, Islam emphasizes kindness to all creatures, even animals including dogs. Showing kindness and helping them is different then taking them home, having them drink from the toilet and then come lick your face and sleep in your bed.

hayati
04-29-2008, 06:14 AM
That doesn't mean we treat it like trash, Islam emphasizes kindness to all creatures, even animals including dogs. Showing kindness and helping them is different then taking them home, having them drink from the toilet and then come lick your face and sleep in your bed.

Im not talking about this, im pertaining about dogs have helped a lot of humans.

The christians have taken this relationship to the extreme like they did with their prophet.

And What do u mean by this? That we treat our Prophet like a DOG? No need to say this things because i didnt join in this forum to feel aggraviated. Im respecting your religion a lot and I will not change the way I respect Muslim people just because of your words. Thank you so much and May Allah bless you..

crayon
04-29-2008, 08:09 AM
I'm pretty sure that's not what he meant. Christians deified Jesus, calling him God, giving him a higher position than he was really due. It is the same with dogs. They have been elevated above their position and been called "man's best friend", etc. Yes, they have their purpose and benefits, but it is higher than deserved. I think that's what brother islamirama meant.

ashley66
04-29-2008, 09:32 AM
hayati Re: Dogs?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That doesn't mean we treat it like trash, Islam emphasizes kindness to all creatures, even animals including dogs. Showing kindness and helping them is different then taking them home, having them drink from the toilet and then come lick your face and sleep in your bed.

Im not talking about this, im pertaining about dogs have helped a lot of humans.

The christians have taken this relationship to the extreme like they did with their prophet.

And What do u mean by this? That we treat our Prophet like a DOG? No need to say this things because i didnt join in this forum to feel aggraviated. Im respecting your religion a lot and I will not change the way I respect Muslim people just because of your words. Thank you so much and May Allah bless you..
I never really pay attention to dog except taking care when I’m near one to to be in contact with it, until i kept one albeit only temporary care. But I realise also that they are amazing animal with many amazing, interesting and lovable characteristic behaviour and ability. Fact remains that Allah set a specific rules regarding dogs and Allah know best.
Allah elevate the status of dog despite the first thing that their saliva or contact with any part of their body with moisture being najis. A dog when trained as a hunting dog, when the hunter/owner let the dog go to catch an animal and say basmallah while doing so, if the game died before the hunter can slaughter it, ie. Killed by the trained dog, it is halal. Of course, the method is discussed in many book in more detailed. What I’m getting at is, see how Allah is great. In Islam, dog is not a second class animal. Although other religion don’t consider different status for dog from other animal. In my opinion, Islam regards dog a respectable level. Its just that dog is not for pet. We can keep hunting dog, guard dog, farm dog but they are to be treated fairly. Just like we wanna be happy , all our pet and working animal should also be. All animals from cats to insect to fish, Allah taught them to pray to Allah in their own way. Whenever I pass by a dog or cats and when I’m diving looking at fish in the sea, I couldn’t help chuckling to myself, what zikir are they reciting at tha time and that Allah answer their prayer also.

islamirama
04-29-2008, 01:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
I'm pretty sure that's not what he meant. Christians deified Jesus, calling him God, giving him a higher position than he was really due. It is the same with dogs. They have been elevated above their position and been called "man's best friend", etc. Yes, they have their purpose and benefits, but it is higher than deserved. I think that's what brother islamirama meant.
:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

btw, they also lick their own private parts and other dog's private parts and then come lick your face all over....why not just wipe your face with the toilet paper after ur done using it lol

chacha_jalebi
04-29-2008, 10:34 PM
maybe she was a farmer and herding her lambs along the road, which you might have missed when you blinked:statisfie:D

barney
04-29-2008, 11:08 PM
Hi
I can understand the washing of a bowl seven times, that seems like such a good idea. Then washing it finally with soil kinda messes that up dosnt it??

islamirama
04-30-2008, 01:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by barney
Hi
I can understand the washing of a bowl seven times, that seems like such a good idea. Then washing it finally with soil kinda messes that up dosnt it??
maybe soil works better than soap :D

barney
04-30-2008, 02:58 AM
Ooookay!
But i dont smear my washed plates with soap as a final layer!

Anyone got any explaination why the prophet would want to use soil as a final cleaning agent? Its OK getting the dog saliva off with water, why rub soil, perhaps contaminated with the dogs wee or at the very least, been walked on by peoiples feet, to wash up with?

islamirama
04-30-2008, 03:30 AM
Ooookay!
But i dont smear my washed plates with soap as a final layer!

Anyone got any explaination why the prophet would want to use soil as a final cleaning agent? Its OK getting the dog saliva off with water, why rub soil, perhaps contaminated with the dogs wee or at the very least, been walked on by peoiples feet, to wash up with?
I hope you're not thinking that after washing it with soil, it's just left like that to use? Common sense would tell any person to rinse the soil off afterwards (like soap).

There are many things that Islam says that we did not know the point of but did it out of faith. And then later on as technology and science improved, the benefits behind those were discovered and revealed. We do it out of faith and belief, and science comes along and only affirms that and nothing more. We don't know exactly what is in the dog's saliva nor the impact dirt has on it, science hasn't advanced to that level to tell us yet. So you'll have to just wait till science catches up with Islam to affirm what Islam has been saying all these centuries on this matter or any other matter not revealed as yet.

Those are just my thoughts, i'm sure we can find a scholar's explanation/elaboration on that hadith as well inshallah...

barney
04-30-2008, 03:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama

Those are just my thoughts, i'm sure we can find a scholar's explanation/elaboration on that hadith as well inshallah...
yeah, that would be good if we could.

Science so far has advanced far enough to tell us that putting dirt onto plates is a bad idea. The soil contains billions of microrganisms and potentially lethal germs, at the very least stuff that will cause an upset stomach.
The Hadith I note diddnt say and then make another last wash with water.
Thats just added as a extra by you just now. (no offence).

Washing a plate with water is good. You can measure that by each wash the bacteria is lessened and lessened. Then wiping it with soil simply directly adds a billion germs onto the previously clean plate.
Science might not have advanced that far to explain it yet, perhaps we never will, but personally, I'll stick with just washing up my cats plate with fairy liquid and hot water, and leave the mud out of it.

islamirama
04-30-2008, 02:03 PM
yeah, that would be good if we could.

Science so far has advanced far enough to tell us that putting dirt onto plates is a bad idea. The soil contains billions of microrganisms and potentially lethal germs, at the very least stuff that will cause an upset stomach.
The Hadith I note diddnt say and then make another last wash with water.
Thats just added as a extra by you just now. (no offence).

Washing a plate with water is good. You can measure that by each wash the bacteria is lessened and lessened. Then wiping it with soil simply directly adds a billion germs onto the previously clean plate.
Science might not have advanced that far to explain it yet, perhaps we never will, but personally, I'll stick with just washing up my cats plate with fairy liquid and hot water, and leave the mud out of it.
Al-Bukhaari and Muslim reported from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If a dog licks the vessel of any one of you, let him throw away its contents, then wash it seven times.” Muslim added: “the first time with earth.” (Al-Bukhaari bi Haashiyat al-Sindi, 1/44; Muslim, 1/234).

It is not the last washing that has to be done with earth, so there is no room for the objection mentioned in the question that this will make the clothes dirty. The clothes will be washed with water (after the washing with earth), and once they are dried and ironed, they will be cleaner than before. And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

http://islamqa.com/index.php?ref=2453&ln=eng

- Qatada -
04-30-2008, 02:09 PM
:salamext:

http://islamqa.com/index.php?ref=463...t=earth%20soap

barney
04-30-2008, 03:03 PM
Muslim: Book 002, Number 0551:
Ibn Mughaffal reported: The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) ordered killing of the dogs, and then said: What about them, i. e. about other dogs? and then granted concession (to keep) the dog for hunting and the dog for (the security) of the herd, and said: When the dog licks the utensil, wash it seven times, and rub it with earth the eighth time.

So nobody can remember what he said really, other than earth was involved in rubbing the plates.

I'll take it as the first time, but that still makes no logical sense.
Thanks for the links anyway.

islamirama
04-30-2008, 03:27 PM
Muslim: Book 002, Number 0551:
Ibn Mughaffal reported: The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) ordered killing of the dogs, and then said: What about them, i. e. about other dogs? and then granted concession (to keep) the dog for hunting and the dog for (the security) of the herd, and said: When the dog licks the utensil, wash it seven times, and rub it with earth the eighth time.

So nobody can remember what he said really, other than earth was involved in rubbing the plates.

I'll take it as the first time, but that still makes no logical sense.
Thanks for the links anyway.
Ibn Mughffal is the only one who said it 8 times. There's some variations in the narrations (http://www.iiu.edu.my/deed/hadith/muslim/002_smt.html)
But the hadith i posted shows from both Bukhari and Muslim collection of what Abu hurayrah had said.

In either case, You don't understand the logic as many didn't understand the logic behind other things till science caught up with Islam and explained. So for now you can just accepted that it is what was revealed to the Messenger of Allah (saws) and passed down to Muslims as a means of purification against the saliva of the Dog. As for the logical understanding of it, you'll just have to wait till science advances a bit further in microbiology to explain the logic.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.