/* */

PDA

View Full Version : My Family Won't Let Me Practice Islam

Holly3278
04-26-2008, 08:11 AM
Hi everyone. My family will be very angry once they find out that I have converted to Islam and I just know that they will not allow me to practice my faith. I don't know what to do. I know I need to move to another city and preferably another state first but I don't know what to do. I can't wear my hijab for I know all my friends will find out that I am Muslim if I do and I will be made fun of and ridiculed. There are no Muslims in my town. Please help! :cry:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Danah
04-26-2008, 08:44 AM
Asalam Alykom sister holly, first of all Congratulation to becomming a new member in the Islamic family
second, may allah make it easy for you and keep your faith strong in sha allah. my dear sister I know it is really hard to you, but I think you have the strongest weapon in the world, you have the duaa (pray). All of what you have to do currently is making duaa really hard and Allah will never ever let you down in sha allah. If you are honest in your faith Allah will help you in a way you will not expect sis.
In sha allah you will be able to move to another state and you will be free to practice your faith, but for the time being if your family will go against you and might let you out the home, then I guess you have to practice your faith secretly as possible as you can since showing them that you are a muslim will be a danger for you

just be patient and strong in your faith and make duaa and allah will guide you to the best in sha allah
Allah might is testing you to see whether you will be a patient or not, try to pass this test in sha allah with your string faith

Ye who believe! seek help with patient perseverance and prayer: for ALLAH is with those who patiently persevere.
(1:153) AL QURAN

Be sure we shall test you with something of fear and hunger, some loss in goods or lives or the fruits (of your toil), but give glad tidings to those who patiently persevere,
(1:153) AL QURAN

you are in my prayer in sha allah

glo
04-26-2008, 08:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Holly3278
Hi everyone. My family will be very angry once they find out that I have converted to Islam and I just know that they will not allow me to practice my faith. I don't know what to do. I know I need to move to another city and preferably another state first but I don't know what to do. I can't wear my hijab for I know all my friends will find out that I am Muslim if I do and I will be made fun of and ridiculed. There are no Muslims in my town. Please help! :cry:
That's really tough, Holly! I really feel for you.

This may not be in the same league, but when I became a Christian five years ago, I too met with negative reactions and ridicule.
To this day my husband does not like me to read the Bible openly, pray (not even before mealtimes) or speak about God. I am not allowed to pray with my children or take them to church with me.

Part of following your faith is to stand up for it, and to accept a certain amount of suffering that comes with it.
Try to be strong and give your family time.
Let them see that you have made your choice to become a muslimah out of conviction and out of commitment to God.

I pray that you will find the right path. God bless you, Holly.

glo
04-26-2008, 10:07 AM
Hi again, Holly

I just realised that you haven't actually told anybody about your conversion yet, and that your worries are hypothetical.

Pray for guidance and the right moment to sit down with your parents and tell them the truth.
Are your parents Christians? Or follow any other religion?
Do you have people around you who you feel may be more sympathetic and could support you?

Be clear in your own mind why you have converted, and what it is that has drawn you to Islam. That way you are more likely to be able to explain your feelings to others.

God be with you. :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
- Qatada -
04-26-2008, 01:23 PM
Asalaam alaikum (peace be upon you) sister Holly.

First of all, you don't have to tell your family that you've become Muslim. That isn't a problem. So if you think there will be harm in you telling your family that you're Muslim - then you can stay quiet about it.

If you think they won't let you wear hijaab, you can try to do the lesser harm by wearing a bandanna whenever you go out. Since bandanna's cover the hair, and you can wear more covering and looser clothing. Until you feel you can move from this kind of environment, then you can try to wear proper Islamic dress. That's what i've read on some sites when people are gradually working on wearing the hijaab.

We will pray that Allah eases everything for you, and you have a Muslim community who cares for you and supports you soon, ameen. Remember that after hardship, Allah does grant ease, so keep asking Him for goodness, in this life and the one to come. ameen.

Remember that the believer is strong, because they have their trust in their Lord - the One who controls the hearts of all the people.

I want you to read this story of some of the companions of the Prophet (peace be upon him):
http://www.islamicboard.com/companio...i-waqqaas.html

See how he faced this, and learn from their lives so that you can become a stronger Muslimah insha Allah. :)

*Hana*
04-26-2008, 01:28 PM
Salam Alaikum sister and congratulations on your reversion!

Brother Qatada is absolutely correct.

Your a new sister and there's lots to learn. Take baby steps, learn slowly and correctly. As you learn, you will become stronger and with knowledge comes strength.

Don't beat yourself up...just take one step at a time. :)

May Allah, swt, continue to guide you and shed His blessings on you as your being a new journey on the straight path. Ameen

Wa'alaikum salam,
Hana

Holly3278
04-26-2008, 07:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Hi again, Holly

I just realised that you haven't actually told anybody about your conversion yet, and that your worries are hypothetical.

Pray for guidance and the right moment to sit down with your parents and tell them the truth.
Are your parents Christians? Or follow any other religion?
Do you have people around you who you feel may be more sympathetic and could support you?

Be clear in your own mind why you have converted, and what it is that has drawn you to Islam. That way you are more likely to be able to explain your feelings to others.

God be with you. :)
I told my mom and she was fine with it and she is a Christian.

glo
04-26-2008, 07:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Holly3278
I told my mom and she was fine with it and she is a Christian.
I am glad. :statisfie

Your parents may disagree with your decision, they may worry about you and may wish you would change your mind ... but I doubt that they will stop loving you!

May God bless you.

Danah
04-26-2008, 07:44 PM
it is good sister that you told your mom. in sha allah you can told you dad too easily and you will have no problem. you can show them how islam is dealing with parents, you can be present a good muslimah through your treatment to them. if your mom did understand you, then I guess you might make a good progress too.
but show them how you change to the better in your behavior toward them, who knows you might lead them to be muslims sis

- Qatada -
04-26-2008, 08:31 PM
Asalaam alaikum

that's really good news alhamdulillah! :) may Allah continue to support you sister, ameen.

anonymous
04-27-2008, 11:40 AM
:salamext:

lol alhamdulillah! :) n Aameen to th du'aas..

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.