/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why do we obey Allah?

AnonymousPoster
04-27-2008, 11:57 PM
I know that Allah (SWT) knows what is best for us but I am in a slight slump for the past few days and was wondering. What benefit is there? Should we be looking for benefits? Is mankind better off keeping the to the laws of Allah and why? WHy does the morality of Allah matter?

I don't want to sound blasphemous, I know we just SHOULD because he is Allah. But I was wondering why else? Is there a why else?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
crayon
04-28-2008, 06:41 AM
Because he created us, and he knows what is best for us. Even if there wasn't a heaven or hell, and we didn't have to obey him, it would ultimately benefit us if we did.

If someone invents a machine, do we just use it, without knowing how to operate it? A person created it, he knows it's strengths, it's faults, the best use of it, etc. Is there anyone who knows more about this machine than it's creator?

Allah is our creator, thus, he knows what is best for us. He would never tell us to do anything that harms us, but would tell us to do things that benefit us. Even if we don't immediately see its benefit or harm, it doesn't mean there isn't one.

Not sleeping on your stomach, slaughtering meat the halal way, not drinking alcohol, fasting, the physical benefits of prayer... I could go on and on. The prophet (peace be upon him) and companions at their time didn't know any of these benefits, they just did them because Allah asked them to. Now, 1400 years later, we are discovering medical and psychological benefits of so many things we are asked to do as muslims. By just obeying Allah, muslims were healthier than non muslims more than a thousand years ago. And not only were they healthier, they went through a golden age. Society was brilliant, families were happy, muslims were at the top of their field in science, math, geography, etc. It was bliss. All that from simply obeying Allah.

Now, we muslims are screwed because we just don't bother with what Allah told us to do anymore. Some people say this is a punishment for us because we're sinning, but I think it's simply because we're not reaping the benefits of sticking to Allah's command. May he help us all. Hope that answers your question.

Snowflake
04-28-2008, 11:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender
I know that Allah (SWT) knows what is best for us but I am in a slight slump for the past few days and was wondering. What benefit is there? Should we be looking for benefits? Is mankind better off keeping the to the laws of Allah and why? WHy does the morality of Allah matter?

I don't want to sound blasphemous, I know we just SHOULD because he is Allah. But I was wondering why else? Is there a why else?
Praise be to Allah.

We only have to look at the state of the Ummah and realise how disobedience of Allah has brought so much misery/harm to the individual as well as to the whole Ummah; all because individuals have disobeyed Allah & His Messenger. Look at the ummah, killing each other, raping, robbing, deceiving each other as a result of disobedience to Allah. Would the ummah not be in a better state if it'd adhered to Allah's laws? Look at suicide bombers taking innocent lives and their contribution to Islamophobia. Can you see the necessity of obeying Him and the harm that results from His disobedience? One example is people disobeying Allah with regards to forced marriages? Look how this has lead to honour killings of innocent individuals, not to mention the harm the killer has brought upon himself. Would this happen if people obey Allah's commands?

Obedience to Allah isn't only for the benefit of the individual/ummah but for the whole mankind. The kuffar have also disobeyed Allah & His Messenger by rejecting His Revelations and the resulting religious divide has caused unimaginable suffering worldwide.

Allah is aware of our wrong doings yet tells us that through His Obedience we can obtain His mercy. What are the benefits of obedience to Allah for the individual. Read on to find out........

For the benefit of the individual:

“And obey Allah and the Messenger, that ye may obtain mercy.” [Qur’aan 3:132].
“And whoso obeys Allah and the Messenger (Muhammad SAW), then they will be in the company of those on whom Allah has bestowed His Grace, of the Prophets, the Siddiqun (those followers of the Prophets who were first and foremost to believe in them, like Abu Bakr As-Siddiq-- RA.), the martyrs, and the righteous. And how excellent these companions are!” (The Noble Qur’an, 4:69).
“O you who believe! Obey Allah and obey the Messenger (Muhammad SAW), and those of you (Muslims) who are in authority. (And if you differ in anything amongst yourselves, refer it to Allah and His Messenger (SAW), if you believe in Allah and in the Last Day. That is better and more suitable for final determination” (The Noble Qur’an, 4:59).

Narrated Abu Hurairah (RA): Allah’s Messenger (SAW) said, “All my followers will enter Paradise except those who refuse.” They said, “O Allah’s Messenger! Who will refuse?” He said, “Whoever obeys me will enter Paradise, and whoever disobeys me is the one who refuses (to enter it)” (Sahih Al-Bukhari).

We have sent you bearing witness, bringing good news, and warning so that you might all believe in Allah and His Messenger as well as honor, respect, and glorify Him in the morning and the evening. Those who pledge their allegiance to you pledge allegiance to Allah. Allah's hand is over their hands. Those who break their pledge only break it against themselves. But as for those who fulfill the contract they have made with Allah, We will give them an immense reward. (Surat al-Fath: 8-10)
Allah promises: "We will certainly help Our Messengers and those who believe both in the life of this world and on the Day the witnesses appear," (Surah Ghafir, 51)

This is the Day when the sincerity of the sincere will benefit them. They will have Gardens with rivers flowing under them, remaining in them timelessly, for ever and ever. (Surat al-Ma'ida, 119)

My servants, you will feel no fear today; you will know no sorrow. (Surat az-Zukhruf, 68)

In another verse, Allah informs us that "Paradise will be brought up close to the righteous, not far away" (Surah Qaf, 31)
"What is the example [i.e., description] of Paradise promised to the righteous like? It has rivers flowing under it, and its foodstuffs and cool shade never fail. That is the final fate of those who have done their duty. But the final fate of the disbelievers is the Fire." (Surat ar-Ra'd, 35)
In Paradise, Allah gives believers "any kind of fruit and meat that they desire" (Surat at-Tur, 22), and will offer them "any bird-meat they desire" (Surat al-Waqi'a, 22). Moreover, their food will "never run out" (Surah Sad, 54), because believers will"enter Paradise, provided for in it without any reckoning" (Surah Ghafir, 40).
Give the good news to those who believe and do right actions, that they will have Gardens with rivers flowing under them. When they are given fruit there as provision, they will say: "This is what we were given before." But they were only given a simulation of it. They will have there spouses of perfect purity, and will remain there timelessly, forever. (Surat al-Baqara, 25)
As Surat ash-Shura, 22 tells us: "They will have whatever they wish for with their Lord. That is the great favor,"

A Warning to The Disobedient

Allah also says, “And let those who oppose the Messenger’s (Muhammad SAW) commandment (i.e. his Sunnah - legal ways, orders, acts of worship, statements, etc.) (among the sects) beware, lest some fitnah (disbelief, trials, afflictions, earthquakes, killing, overpowered by a tyrant, etc.) befall them or a painful torment be inflicted upon them” (24:63).
Allah the Almighty says in the Qur’an, “And if you obey most of those on earth, they will mislead you far away from Allah’s path. They follow nothing but conjectures, and they do nothing but lie” (6:116).
[Fatir 35:5] O people! Allah’s promise is indeed true; therefore do not ever let the worldly life deceive you; nor ever let the great cheat deceive you in respect of Allah’s commands.
[Fatir 35:7] For the disbelievers is a severe punishment; and for those who accepted faith and did good deeds is forgiveness, and an immense reward.
[Fatir 35:18] And no burdened soul will carry another soul’s burden; and if a burdened soul calls another to share the burden, no one will carry any part of it, even if he is a close relative; O dear Prophet (Mohammed – peace and blessings be upon him), your warning only benefits those who fear their Lord without seeing and who keep the prayer established; and whoever cleansed himself, has cleansed for his own benefit; and towards Allah only is the return.
Lol, there are so many more, alhumdulillah. But I'm going to stop here. I hope the loss from and benefits of Allah's obedience or lack of it, have been made clear enough to answer your question.

:w:

IbnAbdulHakim
04-28-2008, 11:19 AM
^ mashaAllah wat an amazing read!

i obey Allah coz i dnt want a crap dunya n a crap akhirah n its for my best interests :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Snowflake
04-28-2008, 01:35 PM
^MashaAllah :)

Sanobar
04-28-2008, 01:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
^ mashaAllah wat an amazing read!

i obey Allah coz i dnt want a crap dunya n a crap akhirah n its for my best interests :)
same here.. I obey Allah for all the reasons mentioned above... and i do it for akhirah.... and thats what keeps me going!

syilla
04-29-2008, 12:47 AM
I obey Allah swt because Allah swt never send me any bill for the air that i breathe in... and Allah swt still give me the chance to mend my mistakes and be a better muslimah.

Abdul Fattah
04-29-2008, 12:56 AM
Selam aleykum
Thanks for an interesting question =)
Of the top of my mind spring three answers:
1. Because it's our purpose of existence
2. Because we owe him that (he created/owns us)
3. Because it is in our own best interest (reward of heaven)
4. Because it is in our own best interest (the rules are blessings and guidance)
there's probably more...

جوري
04-30-2008, 01:28 AM
I don't think it matters much when you are going through one of those phases, what people write.. are you really looking for answers, ones that you can comb through and grab the most sophsitcated and sensical? or do you simply want support to get through something that is eating away at your heart?

we all go through the periods of questions and doubts (my entire teenage years and still on occasion)... you can keep everything everyone has written for you here on the backburner and actually turn to Allah swt for guidance.. you know it might seem silly to you? I don't know! everytime I have a question, I get the feeling no one can help me, It is a dark place to feel utterly lonely, where people's words are simply superfluous, insincere, or unrelated.. people the world over, I assume, tread the same waters, ask the same questions, share the universal feelings, seek ultimately the same truths...

if you want your experience to be that personified teacher, then you must turn to Allah swt for help from your heart and with sincereity.. and Allah SWT will make the answers manifest to you!
Why do I personally obey Allah swt.. it is because I love him, Allah swt is my friend to whom everything is revealed and I don't feel this heavy burden to be under artifice or pretense when seeking him..

in closure I'll leave with one of my favorite ahadith..

My Lord says, 'If My slave comes nearer to me for a span, I go nearer to him for a cubit; and if he comes nearer to Me for a cubit, I go nearer to him for the span of outstretched arms; and if he comes to Me walking, I go to him running.' "

:w:

Snowflake
05-01-2008, 06:15 AM
^asalam alaikum wr wb,

I don't think it's easy for everyone to turn to Allah when waswas concerning wisdom behind His very Laws are blocking the way; since to turn to Him you need complete faith in Him.

There is always a right Path to follow if we are to get anywhere. Allah has been Most merciful to us by making turning to Him easy by giving us the gift of the Quran & Sunnah. He doesn't expect us to turn to Him without knowing Him. To know Him we need to know the Quran and Sunnah. Only then we can gain understanding and the imaan that will allay the waswas which stop us turning to Him and questioning His Laws - na udhubillah!

wa alaikum asalam wr wb.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.