/* */

PDA

View Full Version : House speaker asks Bush to stop stockpiling oil

islamirama
04-30-2008, 04:35 AM
House speaker asks Bush to stop stockpiling oil

By Richard Cowan Thu Apr 24

The Speaker of the House of Representatives on Thursday called on the White House to temporarily stop sending crude oil into the nation's emergency stockpile.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi told reporters she was calling on President George W. Bush to work with Democrats to find a way to "temporarily suspend" oil deliveries to the Strategic Petroleum Reserve.

The White House immediately rejected the plea. "We don't believe the fill rates have a meaningful impact on oil supplies," White House spokesman Scott Stanzel said.

"We continue to fill the reserve to provide an added layer of protection to the American people in cases of severe supply disruption."
Pelosi said suspending deliveries would save drivers 5 cents to 24 cents per gallon at the pump.

As U.S. benchmark crude oil prices hit a record near $120 a barrel this week, the Bush administration insists that filling the reserve accounts for less than one-tenth of 1 percent of daily supply, and has no meaningful effect on prices.

The nearly 701 million barrels of crude oil stored in underground salt caverns in Louisiana and Texas are meant as a supply buffer in case of major supply disruptions like the 2005 hurricanes that hit the Gulf Coast oil patch. It was created by Congress in 1975 after the Arab oil embargo.

Current shipments come to about 70,000 barrels per day, while the United States uses about 21 million bpd.

Democrats in the Senate are also pursuing legislation that would require the Energy Department to suspend shipments to the reserve if prices are too high.

Democratic Senator Byron Dorgan of North Dakota said he would seek to attach an amendment to an upcoming supplemental appropriations bill that would forbid the government from sending oil to the SPR if oil prices are above $75 a barrel.

"I believe I have the votes," Dorgan told reporters. "I think I'm going to be able to get this dome."

(Additional reporting by Chris Baltimore; Editing by Russell Blinch and Walter Bagley)
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080424/pl_nm/usa_congress_spr_dc

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Keltoi
04-30-2008, 01:29 PM
The strategic oil reserve is not the problem. Leave it to politicians to avoid the central issue in an election year. The short-term solution is domestic drilling. The long-term solution is research and development of alternative energy sources.

islamirama
04-30-2008, 01:48 PM
There's emergence of mounting evidence showing US has over 300 cities underground as "emergency" get away (in case of nuke war) as well as concentration camps and supersize jail railway carts. Any thoughts on that?

MTAFFI
04-30-2008, 01:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
The short-term solution is domestic drilling. The long-term solution is research and development of alternative energy sources.
This is correct-o-mundo

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Keltoi
04-30-2008, 04:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
There's emergence of mounting evidence showing US has over 300 cities underground as "emergency" get away (in case of nuke war) as well as concentration camps and supersize jail railway carts. Any thoughts on that?
Yeah, what "mounting evidence" is that? superconspiracyjunk.com ?

islamirama
04-30-2008, 05:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
Yeah, what "mounting evidence" is that? superconspiracyjunk.com ?
I guess to some people everything is "conspiracy", even if some people have photographs and statements from ex-officials as evidence. Anyways, to everyone it's own i guess...

Izyan
04-30-2008, 08:43 PM
This is off topic and should be deleted immediately.

Fishman
04-30-2008, 09:07 PM
I guess to some people everything is "conspiracy", even if some people have photographs and statements from ex-officials as evidence. Anyways, to everyone it's own i guess...
:sl:
Supersize jail railway carts: Possibly confirmed by photos or statements

Concentration camps: Very unlikely to have any evidence but suspicions

Underground cities: So crazy that there must be some evidence behind it.
:w:

islamirama
04-30-2008, 09:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Izyan
This is off topic and should be deleted immediately.
Maybe if you expand your thinking level a bit broader, you might see a connection between stockpiling of oil and this...

Izyan
04-30-2008, 11:39 PM
well you explain how your reply is on topic.

barney
04-30-2008, 11:48 PM
I want a ride in a SUPERSIZED JAIL CART straight through all 300 underground cities!!!
WHOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.