/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Question of the month - WARNING PICTURE GRAPHIC

جوري
05-01-2008, 01:59 AM

A 14-year-old girl came to the hospital with her mother, stating that a small birthmark on the scalp had recently started growing rather rapidly. It was increasingly pruritic and caused the patient considerable emotional distress. She was otherwise healthy...

what is the diagnosis?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Khayal
05-01-2008, 02:10 AM
:sl:

:uuh::uuh:

I am sorry for failing to answer, but I am very thankul to Allaah SWT, may he protect us from such mysterious problems as this. May he heal those who have such problems as this.:phew

InshaAllaah & Aameen.

barney
05-01-2008, 02:34 AM
Looks like some sort of calcification.
Not a scooby really. I'd try leeches on it. Leeches are always cool.

Malaikah
05-01-2008, 03:05 AM
Rapid growth is kind of a hallmark of tumours and stuff right? I hope it isn't a tumour. :|

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
glo
05-01-2008, 07:31 AM
Could it be nevus sebaceus?
Onset often starts with puberty ...

http://www.dermis.net/dermisroot/en/21638/diagnose.htm

جوري
05-01-2008, 12:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Could it be nevus sebaceus?
Onset often starts with puberty ...

http://www.dermis.net/dermisroot/en/21638/diagnose.htm
Yup-- very good, you get the bonus points.. this is a Nevus Sebaceus of Jadassohn!
NEJM courtsey of Drs. Sherrif F. Ibrahim, M.D., Ph.D.
John H. Tu, M.D.
University of Rochester
Rochester, NY 14642
A 14-year-old girl came to the hospital with her mother, stating that a small birthmark on the scalp had recently started growing rather rapidly. It was increasingly pruritic and caused the patient considerable emotional distress. She was otherwise healthy. On examination a large multilobulated, verrucous lesion was seen on the scalp. The findings were consistent with nevus sebaceus. These lesions have a predilection for the scalp and typically appear early in life as a solitary, hairless patch or small plaque. Often they do not cause problems until the patient reaches adolescence, as hormonal factors induce a verrucous or nodular change and the lesion grows in size, occasionally rather dramatically. Given the size and location of the lesion and the risk of malignant transformation, especially to basal-cell carcinoma, later in life, the patient was referred to plastic surgery for excision. The lesion was successfully excised, and histologic examination confirmed the diagnosis of nevus sebaceus of Jadassohn.

------
05-01-2008, 12:55 PM
:salamext:

Alhamdulillah for health...

جوري
05-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Al7mdlilah indeed for health.. this might look bad but it is fairly benignant even if undergoes dysplasia into basal cell ca. it stays local and barely metastasize, it just looks pretty bad.. thing about most groteque skin diseases is that they look pretty direful but you almost never die from them...
:w:

Malaikah
05-01-2008, 02:41 PM
Like acne!

------
05-01-2008, 02:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skye Ephémérine
Al7mdlilah indeed for health.. this might look bad but it is fairly benignant even if undergoes dysplasia into basal cell ca. it stays local and barely metastasize, it just looks pretty bad.. thing about most groteque skin diseases is that they look pretty direful but you almost never die from them...

For the sake of ur sister aka me, please say that in simple english which i can understand imsad

islamirama
05-01-2008, 02:58 PM
WHAT is the point of posting that on this forum? No offense but this is an islamic forum, not med or pre-med forum. I don't think we need that kind of stuff here for us to loose our breakfast/lunch over it.

Mikayeel
05-01-2008, 03:14 PM
She did warn u sayin it was graphic loool, but these warnings are there to be ignored I say! :D

Khayal
05-01-2008, 04:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
WHAT is the point of posting that on this forum? No offense but this is an islamic forum, not med or pre-med forum. I don't think we need that kind of stuff here for us to loose our breakfast/lunch over it.
lol...Astaghfirullaah!:X

truemuslim
05-01-2008, 05:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamada
She did warn u sayin it was graphic loool, but these warnings are there to be ignored I say! :D

hahahahahhahaa looool :laugh: (thats a laughing smiley...i think...)
Im laughin to hard right now....

btw thats sickkk...lol...never seen it before...
well then alhamdulillah for our health

Khayal
05-01-2008, 05:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by truemuslim
hahahahahhahaa looool :laugh: (thats a laughing smiley...i think...)
Im laughin to hard right now....

btw thats sickkk...lol...never seen it before...
well then alhamdulillah for our health

Astaghfirullaah!!!!!!!!!:omg:

don't make me LOOOOOOL.

truemuslim
05-01-2008, 05:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Khayal

Astaghfirullaah!!!!!!!!!:omg:

don't make me LOOOOOOL.

WAIT WAIT!! what did i say that is soooo "astaghfirallah" ???

and what did i say thats soo "LOOOOOOOOL" ??

:?

lol

Khayal
05-01-2008, 05:45 PM

Allahumma innaka `afuwwun tuh.ibbul `afwa fa`fu `annee !

O Allah! You are Oft-Forgiving, and you love forgiveness. So forgive me.

truemuslim
05-01-2008, 05:46 PM

Allahumma innaka `afuwwun tuh.ibbul `afwa fa`fu `annee !

O Allah! You are Oft-Forgiving, and you love forgiveness. So forgive me.
r u cursing me young/old lady!?

lol am kiddin i kno wut u said lol

Khayal
05-01-2008, 05:47 PM
WAIT WAIT!! what did i say that is soooo "astaghfirallah" ???

and what did i say thats soo "LOOOOOOOOL" ??

:?

lol

we are not suppose to laugh on it, thats all...:X

Khayal
05-01-2008, 05:48 PM
r u cursing me young/old lady!?

lol am kiddin i kno wut u said lol

nope, I am not, young/old lady?....:)

جوري
05-01-2008, 05:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
Like acne!
Yup, like acne which can be pretty disfiguring!

format_quote Originally Posted by - Brok3n -

For the sake of ur sister aka me, please say that in simple english which i can understand imsad
Sister, I know you are just being modest :)

I am sorry, I realize that there are some sensitive members on board,I assume was the case on the half man/half tree thread.. but imagine you encounter this on the street, and it can be common, would you still lose your appetite in front of a teenager who might be a brother or sister afflicted with an otherwise treatable condition or give them those awkward glances that most of society distresses an already afflicted person with? Personally I don't expect anyone to walk out of here with medical knowledge ready to diagnose folks but to
1- realize what a great blessing health is
2- evoke sensitivity to folks who are afflicted, whom a great number of are very frightened to seek medical help for conditions that are otherwise easily treated.
3- to just have some random common knowledge of diseases
4- perhaps to spark an interest in medical science..

format_quote Originally Posted by Hamada

Baraka Allah feek, it was br. Al Habeshi who was kind enough to put the warning up for me.. and I think it prudent for people who are sensitive to that material to take heed!

lol...Astaghfirullaah!:X

Baraka Allah feeki ukhty

truemuslim
05-01-2008, 05:49 PM

we are not suppose to laugh on it, thats all...:X

lol oh i was actually laughin at hamada's post... he tries so hard not to be funny but cant help it..lol

snakelegs
05-01-2008, 05:58 PM
i am puzzled by this post. doesn't islam encourage you to seek knowledge? is not your body a creation of god?
why do you think we have a section called "health and science"?
since when is islam compartmentalized? :uuh:
:X

islamirama
05-01-2008, 08:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
i am puzzled by this post. doesn't islam encourage you to seek knowledge? is not your body a creation of god?
why do you think we have a section called "health and science"?
since when is islam compartmentalized? :uuh:
:X
key word: Health & Science section

previous statement retracted....

side note: current illness selection is not as tasteful as something that could directly benefit members

snakelegs
05-01-2008, 11:29 PM
key word: Health & Science section

previous statement retracted....

side note: current illness selection is not as tasteful as something that could directly benefit members
:peace:

Malaikah
05-02-2008, 08:17 AM
It wasn't that gross.. but then again, I have to look at pictures of diseased human organs almost daily... so maybe I'm just desensitized.

جوري
05-02-2008, 11:51 AM
I don't think any disease is 'tasteful' or beneficial to learn about in lieu of others, given that we can all be subjected to anything at any point!.. It is just a matter of whether or not it is something that interests you...

Malaikah
05-02-2008, 11:53 AM
Show them come caseous necrosis sis and put them off eating cheese. :D

جوري
05-02-2008, 11:54 AM
lol...how about you come up with the next Q?

Malaikah
05-02-2008, 12:00 PM
Cool!

What disease does this boy have? (I expect you brits to know this one! Why? Because a certain family is always mentioned when this disease is talked about.) Oh, and purest, you aren't allowed to answer! :D

جوري
05-02-2008, 12:26 PM
lol.. ok

------
05-02-2008, 12:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skye Ephémérine

Sister, I know you are just being modest :)

Actually, was being pretty serious.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.