/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I'm Religious, the boy is not.

iliketosmile99
05-02-2008, 09:37 PM
I'm very close to my Faith; I love God and everything about Islam. But, the boyfriend is not religious at all. This usually isn't a problem, like he isn't condemning my beliefs, and I don't condemn his. Really, we keep to ourselves about religion. But every once in a while, I want to talk about what happened today at the Mosque, or something I read in the Qur'an, etc. and I feel like I can't connect to him. Like, I feel like whenever I try to explain a religious philosophy to him, he just doesn't get it. Can this be worked out without trying to convert him?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Umu 'Isa
05-03-2008, 12:06 PM
:sl:
Quick question sister.. If you consider yourself "religious" then why do you have a boyfriend? When it is clearly against Islam?

Malaikah
05-03-2008, 12:23 PM

Is this boy a Muslim?

glo
05-03-2008, 01:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by iliketosmile99
I'm very close to my Faith; I love God and everything about Islam. But, the boyfriend is not religious at all. This usually isn't a problem, like he isn't condemning my beliefs, and I don't condemn his. Really, we keep to ourselves about religion. But every once in a while, I want to talk about what happened today at the Mosque, or something I read in the Qur'an, etc. and I feel like I can't connect to him. Like, I feel like whenever I try to explain a religious philosophy to him, he just doesn't get it. Can this be worked out without trying to convert him?
I can relate to you, Smile.

I am married to a non-Christian, and I often feel such a strong desire to be able to share my faith with him. Just to be able to tell him about something I have heard, read or experienced.
When I try to share, I am often left with the feeling you describe: he just doesn't get it! It's as if he is missing the 'faith gene'.

All I can do is pray for him, and then pray some more! :statisfie
I believe that God draws people to him - I know he did with me. If he drew me to himself, he can do the same with my husband.

I hope and pray that God in on your case, and on your boyfriend's too! :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
iliketosmile99
05-03-2008, 01:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

Is this boy a Muslim?
No, he's agnostic.

iliketosmile99
05-03-2008, 01:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umu 'Isa
Quick question sister.. If you consider yourself "religious" then why do you have a boyfriend? When it is clearly against Islam?
I disagree. Can you explain?

جوري
05-03-2008, 01:44 PM
Before we further comment.. can you please let us know if you are main stream Muslim as in sunni?

:w:

Soulja Girl
05-03-2008, 01:48 PM

And come not near to the unlawful sexual intercourse. Verily, it is a Fahishah [i.e. anything that transgresses its limits (a great sin)], and an evil way (that leads one to Hell unless Allah forgives him). (Surat Al Isra: Verse 33)

However, after marriage, anything is allowed. Also, a Muslim woman cannot marry a non Muslim man, but a Muslim man can marry a non Muslim woman who is an Ahl Al Kitab.

^Hope that helps sis? :X

iliketosmile99
05-03-2008, 01:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skye Ephémérine
Before we further comment.. can you please let us know if you are main stream Muslim as in sunni?

I don't consider myself mainstream.

iliketosmile99
05-03-2008, 01:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Lady

And come not near to the unlawful sexual intercourse. Verily, it is a Fahishah [i.e. anything that transgresses its limits (a great sin)], and an evil way (that leads one to Hell unless Allah forgives him). (Surat Al Isra: Verse 33)

However, after marriage, anything is allowed. Also, a Muslim woman cannot marry a non Muslim man, but a Muslim man can marry a non Muslim woman who is an Ahl Al Kitab.

^Hope that helps sis? :X

Thank you! And I don't do anything sexual with my boyfriend at all. I've explained to him my limits, and he respects them.

Ibn Al Aqwa
05-03-2008, 02:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Lady

Could you just get some proof for that . . .

------
05-03-2008, 02:10 PM
:salamext:

People she's a convert. Chill out. (I mean take it easy on her)

And sis, you're only allowed to get married to a Muslim man in Islaam :)

Soulja Girl
05-03-2008, 02:17 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by -Ibn Al Aqwa-
Could you just get some proof for that . . .
^Made lawful to you this day are At*Tayyibat [all kinds of Halal (lawful) foods, which Allah has made lawful (meat of slaughtered eatable animals, etc. milk products, fats, vegetables and fruits, etc.). The food (slaughtered cattle, eatable animals, etc.) of the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians) is lawful to you and yours is lawful to them. (Lawful to you in marriage) are chaste women from the believers and chaste women from those who were given the Scripture (Jews and Christians) before your time, when you have given their due Mahr (bridal money given by the husband to his wife at the time of marriage), desiring chastity (i.e. taking them in legal wedlock) not committing illegal sexual intercourse, nor taking them as girl-friends. And whosoever disbelieves in the Oneness of Allah and in all the other Articles of Faith [i.e. His (Allah's), Angels, His Holy Books, His Messengers, the Day of Resurrection and Al*Qadar (Divine Preordainments)], then fruitless is his work, and in the Hereafter he will be among the losers. (Surat Al Maidah: Verse 5)

anonymous
05-03-2008, 02:21 PM
I dont understand at all

no1 R U a muslim?

no2 if so, why have you got a boyfrend?

no3 havin a bf in itself is bad enuf, but havin one that aint a muslin is worse??

------
05-03-2008, 02:24 PM

^ n stop misusin the anon account

People she's a convert. So please take it easy!

^ Had to make it bigger so people dont ask the sme questions again and again.

anonymous
05-03-2008, 02:26 PM
i aint a member so I aint MISUSIN the anon account! get ya facts strait b4 u start makin accusations

i wasnt aware that sh was a convert so chill out

------
05-03-2008, 02:42 PM

^ But u were, sis Asian Queen..

-Elle-
05-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Alright,it's understandable that if she's a convert,then she might not be familiar with every aspect of Islam yet.

But,if she considers herself a muslim,then it's her job to find out the correct information about wether having a boyfriend is halal or not.

Being a convert does not allow you to have one,and now she's knows.

Sis iliketosmile99, if you need more info on this matter,here are a few very helpful links:

http://www.islamicboard.com/sisters-...boyfriend.html

http://www.islamicboard.com/sisters-...terz-only.html

I believe the first link will help

All the best

glo
05-03-2008, 03:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
i aint a member so I aint MISUSIN the anon account! get ya facts strait b4 u start makin accusations

i wasnt aware that sh was a convert so chill out
Can you use the anon account, if you are not a registered member?
I never knew that ...

Umar001
05-03-2008, 03:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by houda~
Alright,it's understandable that if she's a convert,then she might not be familiar with every aspect of Islam yet.

But,if she considers herself a muslim,then it's her job to find out the correct information about wether having a boyfriend is halal or not.

Being a convert does not allow you to have one,and now she's knows.

Sis iliketosmile99, if you need more info on this matter,here are a few very helpful links:

http://www.islamicboard.com/sisters-...boyfriend.html

http://www.islamicboard.com/sisters-...terz-only.html

I believe the first link will help

All the best
Those are in the sister's section, I dont think she has acess.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-03-2008, 03:38 PM

Well sis before you get into whether it will work, first thing to know is having a boyfriend/girlfriend is haram. So the first issue is that and second is that he isn't Muslim. You will have to end your relationship with him because it is not halal. But I pray that Allah Ta'ala guides him to Islam, InshaAllah.

Al-Zaara
05-03-2008, 03:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
I dont understand at all

no1 R U a muslim?

no2 if so, why have you got a boyfrend?
One thing I gotta point out though, which some here seem to give a wrong impression of, especially that post I quoted:

To have a boyfriend, doesn't nullify the fact that you ARE a Muslim.

But it is strictly forbidden, this is why it is better for you to end the relationship, if he doesn't revert to Islam and you two get married.

anonymous
05-03-2008, 06:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Brok3n -

^ But u were, sis Asian Queen..
i was wat? wat ya chattin?

------
05-03-2008, 06:51 PM

^ Forget it.

iliketosmile99
05-03-2008, 08:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Brok3n -

People she's a convert. Chill out. (I mean take it easy on her)

And sis, you're only allowed to get married to a Muslim man in Islaam :)
Oh, I know, sister. I'm not planning to marry him anyway. Marriage is a while down the road for me.

iliketosmile99
05-03-2008, 08:12 PM
Before this goes further, I'd like to make it clear that I am not a mainstream Muslim, and I personally believe that having a boyfriend or girlfriend is not haram as long as nothing sexual is happening. I also believe that one does not have to be sexual with a significant other in order to be romantically involved.

And lastly, NO I am not planning to marry him. Marriage is a ways down the road for me, and I still have a few years before I should be thinking about it, by my standards anyway.

Ali.
05-03-2008, 08:15 PM
Before this goes further, I'd like to make it clear that I am not a mainstream Muslim, and I personally believe that having a boyfriend or girlfriend is not haram as long as nothing sexual is happening. I also believe that one does not have to be sexual with a significant other in order to be romantically involved.

And lastly, NO I am not planning to marry him. Marriage is a ways down the road for me, and I still have a few years before I should be thinking about it, by my standards anyway.
Sis' as your a convert I'm guessing you don't know how the devil works :).

He works in little steps, he will guide you astray of labelling him as a 'boyfriend', then kisses every now and then or something, and before you know it you're having sexual relations. It's best to stay away from it completely, not just sexual relations.

noorahmad
05-03-2008, 08:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali.

He works in little steps, he will guide you astray of labelling him as a 'boyfriend', then kisses every now and then or something, and before you know it you're having sexual relations. It's best to stay away from it completely, not just sexual relations.
ohh yeahh!!! agree completely

iliketosmile99
05-03-2008, 09:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali.

Well, we've been together for about eight months, and he's yet to even hint at sexual relations. I've made it absolutely clear to him that I'm not interested in anything sexual, and he respects this. If he does try any funny business, I know I'm strong enough to say know, because I have in the past. If he persists, I will leave him to avoid a sexual attack.

Na7lah
05-03-2008, 09:33 PM
sis sorry i know u'r a convert and u'r new to all this but u CANT have a bf
seriously Allah says that the Human being is WEAK u don't know wat might happen
u'r not even suppose to be LOOKING at the opisite sex if dey r not your Muhram so forget anything else

sorry if i;m a bit harsh but i can't help it
this has been already posted

DONT GO NEAR IT

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-03-2008, 09:59 PM
I dont understand this mainstream or not mainstream Muslim thing. I find it quite odd and sad that the word Muslim needs a "tag" before it, when the name itself is self explanatory. It's not smart to use half of Islam and leave the rest. The greatest virtue of Islam is modesty and that includes no relations before marriage. Islam and the scholars are clear about this. I think regardless of even the sect, "reliable" scholars agree this is a no no. And no boyfriends/girlfriends is what also makes us different from other religions. And I don't see why its necessary to have a boyfriend since usually having one includes kissing, dating and such. I fail to see the point of having one if you didn't plan on marrying, not that you could marry a non Muslim anyway. I hope you dont take it the wrong way sis, InshAllah...:)

iliketosmile99
05-03-2008, 10:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jazzy
I dont understand this mainstream or not mainstream Muslim thing. It's not smart to use half of Islam and leave the rest. The greatest virtue of Islam is modesty and that includes no relations before marriage. Islam and the scholars are clear about this. I think regardless of even the sect, "reliable" scholars agree this is a no no. And no boyfriends/girlfriends is what also makes us different from other religions. And I don't see why its necessary to have a boyfriend since usually having one includes kissing, dating and such. I fail to see the point of having one if you didn't plan on marrying, not that you could marry a non Muslim anyway. I hope you dont take it the wrong way sis, InshAllah...:)

I just believe that there is a difference between mainstream Islam and non-mainstream. But, I am open to other people's opinions and am happy to listen.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-03-2008, 10:12 PM
There is only one Islam sister. No more and no less. It's not that you aren't strong. I'm sure you are MashaAllah:) Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala has set these as precautions for us. Just because you might be stronger than others doesn't mean that the rules should change. The same rules apply to everyone to set a balance. We are prone to weakness or mistakes. We may stumble at any time. The only thing this will do is confuse outsiders or end up like other religions where they cannot agree on a scripture or have different interpretations. Although Allah has promised to safeguard His Deen from corruption :). We cannot just follow Islam by what we percieve to be "ok." We don't make the halal or the haram. Thats His job.

Na7lah
05-03-2008, 10:12 PM
But didnt Allah say Enter islam Wholeheartedly? u cant be halfstream or anything like that
subhanallah today is the first time i'v ever heard of a mainstream stuff

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-03-2008, 10:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muslimah421
But didnt Allah say Enter islam Wholeheartedly? u cant be halfstream or anything like that
subhanallah today is the first time i'v ever heard of a mainstream stuff
^^Same here sis. SubhanAllah it's very confusing.

Intisar
05-03-2008, 10:28 PM
:sl: Sister iliketosmile (mashaa Allaah cute name by the way) free-mixing in Islam in general is haraam. Allaah says that it would be better for a Muslim male to have a nail driven through his hand than for him to touch a woman that is unlawful to him (and may Allaah forgive me if I made a mistake inshaa Allaah). :)

Inshaa Allaah try to talk to him with a mahram (male relative) present because when you are alone with him the shaytaan is the third party present and we all know how he works. :rollseyes You've been together for eight months subhan Allaah, that is a really long time. Perhaps you're really hesistant about getting married because you're young, but just know this sister: If you take a step towards Allaah, Allaah will come a mile towards you.

Mikayeel
05-03-2008, 10:32 PM
I just believe that there is a difference between mainstream Islam and non-mainstream. But, I am open to other people's opinions and am happy to listen.
:sl: dear sister,

I am glad that u don' think about ne contact with the boy,

Now lissen, that boy however won't be thinking the same, take that from me being a boy myself!, A boy being sexuall charged + a women wanting attention = A TIME BOM that will soon explode, uve been feeding the time bom for 8 month now....

That boy is not there just to chat with u! He is hoping for more, take my word on that!

He is not a muslim did i hear that right?

Since you are not planning to get married soon, and him being a a none muslim... My advice dear sister would be to end that relationship.... it is going nowhere!

Keep your self occupied! And do alot of Dua! :w:

Ali.
What are you talking about, sis'? There's only one Islam.

Verily, those who divide their religion and break up into sects (all kinds of religious sects), you (O Muhammad -- Peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) have no concern in them in the least. Their affair is only with Allâh, Who then will tell them what they used to do. {Surah Al-An'âm, verse 159}.

I understand it will be hard for you breaking up with him and changing your life to become a better Muslim (none of us are perfect), but that's normal. Take it in steps sis'.

Na7lah
If you take a step towards Allaah, Allaah will come a mile towards you.
well said sis :)

i remember a story of one of the salaf, somehow he got stuck in a room with a girl
he had a candle next to him and the girls noticed that he kept on placing his hand on the flame through out the night wen the day came she asked him about this. he answered that every time he felt a small desire to do anything he would place his hand on the blame and tell himself, the fire of hell is worse

so if u think u'r gona get hurt if u leave him, just think that the Hell fire is gona hurt ALOT more

Ma'salamah

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-03-2008, 10:34 PM
^^That's a really good example sister, MashaAllah.

Whatsthepoint
05-03-2008, 10:36 PM
If you're not mainstream, there's no need to try to convert him or convert yourself. If you two keep your religion to yourself and he's not overy concerned about your kids being raised in a particular religion or irreligion, there's no problem actually. And if you wana discuss Islam with him, do it in a chatty rather than in a prostelysing manner.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-03-2008, 10:38 PM
^^It is a problem...there's only one Islam. Like I said, nothing more, nothing less. The issue starts right at the free mixing. If you can't avoid free mixing, at least avoid the boyfriend thing InshaAllah. I'm not supporting free mixing....both are wrong.

Verily, those who divide their religion and break up into sects (all kinds of religious sects), you (O Muhammad -- Peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) have no concern in them in the least. Their affair is only with Allâh, Who then will tell them what they used to do. {Surah Al-An'âm, verse 159}
Peace

Na7lah
05-03-2008, 10:44 PM
And if you wana discuss Islam with him, do it in a chatty rather than in a prostelysing manner.
how bout not chat with him in the first place?
k u might say i'm doing Dawah and that's good, but Shaitan tries to make u do a good deed that will get u to a bad one.

let me explain: he might tell u to go make dawah to some people in a bar that's sellin alcohol and stuff. the first time, second time, third time: u won't do anything he'll tell u u'r doing good and u'r not even getting into the wrong, but then slowly slowly he'll make u look at it then think bout it, finally after a loooooong time he'll get u to drink it

so best to stay out of the wrong
cuz later u'r gona be sorry and u'll long
that u took heed
that u didnt do that bad deed

one more thing: the person in the day of Judgement is gona be with the person that he loved. so if u'r gona Loooove this guy more than anything, u might get stuck with him in the day of judement. so is that good or bad??

Intisar
05-03-2008, 10:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
If you're not mainstream, there's no need to try to convert him or convert yourself. If you two keep your religion to yourself and he's not overy concerned about your kids being raised in a particular religion or irreligion, there's no problem actually. And if you wana discuss Islam with him, do it in a chatty rather than in a prostelysing manner.
No offence or anything, but you should be the last person giving the sister any advice. :)

Anyway, here are some daleels regarding looking at women. Subhan Allaah some of them are very powerful. :cry:

Sa’id bin Jubayr:

“It is not permitted for the Muslim woman to be seen by a stranger except that she has a covering over her khimar, and she pulls that tightly around her head and neck.”

Malik bin Anas:

“There is no problem with a woman eating with other than her close relatives (mahram).”

al-Baghawi:

“It is not allowed for the man to look at anything from her except the face and the hands, except when there is fear of temptation.”

al-Qadi ‘Iyad:

“The scholars have said that it is not obligatory for the woman to cover her face while she is on her way. Rather, this is a preferred action for her, and it is obligatory for the man to lower his gaze from her in all situations.”

Ibn Rislan (one of the explainers of ‘Sunan at-Tirmidhi‘):

“The glance at the foreign woman is allowed provided there is security from temptation.”

[al-Albanee’s ‘ar-Radd ul-Mufhim‘; p. 119-120]

Abdullaah ibn Mas’ood – radiallahu anhu – went to visit someone who was ill, and a group of people went with him. In the house (where they were visiting) was a woman. One of the visitors, a man, started to look at the woman. ‘Abdullaah Ibn Mas’ood said to him, “If your eye had been gouged out it would have been better for you.”

'Sahih Al-Adab Al-Mufrad' 1/212.

truemuslim
05-03-2008, 10:52 PM
Freemixing is haram. clearly haram. boyfriends are clear haram. and when ur "alone" wit a boy anywhere the shaitan is wit u the whole time..whispering...talking..playin...drinkin...and doin everyhting wit u..he dont respect ur privacy sis! Try to stop this haram sis:)....juss sayin
peace
Wasalam

p.s. am useless

snakelegs
05-03-2008, 11:14 PM
i don't really think this relationship has a future. if your religion is important to you, you need to find someone who feels the same way you do. it will become more and more important when you have children.
so it doesn't really seem that there is much point in continuiing something with no future.

'Abd-al Latif
05-03-2008, 11:49 PM
Baba Ali - Can a Girl Have a Boy just as a Friend

The Answer Is Simply Nooooooooooooooo Unless You Are A Non-Muslim At Hart And Only Muslim By Name.!!!! There Is No Such Thing As Just Friends Thing Between A Girl & A Boy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohfvKHpHLXI

'Abd-al Latif
05-03-2008, 11:51 PM
In the Light of Islam-Questions and Answers-Bilal Philips 1

Intermingling of the sexes
Is it haram to have a boyfriend/girlfriend?
Is going to a disco haram?
Is a friendly relationship between boys and girls haram, when they have no bad intentions, and they consider each other as brothers and sisters?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5x_E4qe1E8

'Abd-al Latif
05-04-2008, 12:07 AM
Ruling on taking boyfriends or girlfriends

Question:

I am deeply in love with a Muslim man and want to marry him. I know that Allah forbids girlfriend-boyfriend relationships, and feel very sorry in my heart for our relationship. I feel that because we have been in this relationship which is abhorred by Allah, he will never marry me because he has lost respect for me. What does the Quaran say about this?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“… Wed them with the permission of their own folk and give them their mahr (dowry) according to what is reasonable; they should be chaste, not adulterous, nor taking boyfriends…” [al-Nisaa’ 4:25]

In his commentary on this aayah, Ibn Katheer (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

Muhsanaat [translated as “chaste”] means that they should be pure, not indulging in zinaa (unlawful sexual conduct), hence they are described as not being musaafihaat, which means promiscuous women who do not refuse anyone who wants to commit immoral acts with them. Regarding the phrase wa laa muttakhidhaati akhdaan (‘nor taking boyfriends’), Ibn ‘Abbaas said: ‘al-musaafihaat means those who are known to commit zinaa, meaning those who will not refuse anyone who wants to commit immoral acts with them.’ Ibn ‘Abbaas also said: ‘muttakhidhaati akhdaan means lovers.’ A similar interpretation was narrated from Abu Hurayrah, Mujaahid, al-Sha’bi, al-Dahhaak, ‘Ataa’ al-Khurasaani, Yahyaa ibn Abi Katheer, Muqaatil ibn Hayyaan and al-Saddi. They said: (it means) lovers. Al-Hasan al-Basri said: ‘It means a (male) friend.’ Al-Dahhaak also said: ‘wa laa muttakhidhaati akhdaan also means a woman who has just one boyfriend or lover with whom she is happy. Allaah has also forbidden this, meaning marrying her so long as she is in that situation…’”

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Made lawful to you this day are al-tayyibaat [all kinds of halaal (lawful) foods…]. The food of the People of the Scripture (Jews and Christians) is lawful to you and yours is lawful to them. (Lawful to you in marriage) are chaste women from the believers and chaste women from those who were given the Scripture (Jews and Christians) before your time, when you have given their due mahr (bridal money given by the husband to the wife at the time of marriage), desiring chastity (i.e., taking them in legal wedlock), not committing illegal sexual intercourse, nor taking them as girlfriends. And whosoever disbelieves in the Oneness of Allaah and in all the other Articles of Faith, the fruitless is his work, and in the Hereafter he will be among the losers.” [al-Maa’idah 5:5]

Ibn Katheer (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

Muhsineen ghayr musaafiheen wa laa muttakhidhi akhdaan (‘desiring chastity (i.e., taking them in legal wedlock), not committing illegal sexual intercourse, nor taking them as girlfriends’). Just as Allaah imposed the condition of chastity on women, meaning that they refrain from zinaa, so it is also imposed on men. The man must also be pure and chaste. So they should be ghayr musaafiheen, meaning they should not be adulterers who do not refrain from sin and do not refuse any who come to them (for immoral purposes). Nor should they be muttakhidhi akhdaan, meaning those who have girlfriends or female lovers with whom they have an exclusive relationship, as quoted above from Soorat al-Nisaa’. (The one with many lovers or the one with just one lover) are both the same. For this reason Imaam Ahmad ibn Hanbal (may Allaah have mercy on him) said that it is not right to marry a promiscuous woman unless she has repented, or to arrange a marriage of such a woman to a chaste man, so long as she is still conducting herself in this manner. Similarly, he (Ahmad) says that it is not right for a promiscuous man to marry a chaste woman unless he repents and gives up his immoral conduct, because of this aayah… We will discuss this matter in further detail after quoting the aayah (interpretation of the meaning):

“Let no man guilty of fornication or adultery marry any but a woman similarly guilty, or an unbeliever: nor let any but such a man or an unbeliever marry such a woman: to the Believers such a thing is forbidden.” [al-Noor 24:3]

Among the stories that show that it is forbidden to have girlfriends or to marry them is the story of Marthad ibn Abi Marthad, who used to smuggle Muslim prisoners-of-war from Makkah to Madeenah. There was a prostitute in Makkah, called ‘Anaaq, who had been a friend of Marthad’s. Marthad had promised to take one of the prisoners from Makkah to Madeenah. He said: “I came to the shade of one of the gardens of Makkah on a moonlit night, then ‘Anaaq came and saw my shadow by the garden. When she reached me, she recognized me and said: ‘Marthad?’ I said, ‘Marthad.’ She said: ‘Welcome! Stay with us tonight.’ I said, ‘O ‘Anaaq, Allaah has forbidden zinaa (unlawful sexual relations)’ … I came to the Messenger of Allaah

and asked him, ‘O Messenger of Allaah, should I marry ‘Anaaq?’ The Messenger of Allaah

remained silent and did not answer me at all, until the aayah Let no man guilty of adultery or fornication marry any but a woman similarly guilty, or an Unbeliever; nor let any but such a man or an Unbeliever marry such a woman; to the Believers such a thing is forbidden’ [al-Noor 24:3 – Yusuf ‘Ali’s translation] was revealed. Then the Messenger of Allaah

said: ‘O Marthad, Let no man guilty of adultery or fornication marry any but a woman similarly guilty, or an Unbeliever; nor let any but such a man or an Unbeliever marry such a woman, so do not marry her.’”

(Reported by al-Tirmidhi, 3101; he said: it is a hasan ghareeb hadeeth).

‘Abd-Allaah ibn Maghfal reported that there was a woman who had been a prostitute during the days of ignorance (before Islam). A man passed by her, or she passed by him, and he touched her. She said: “Stop it! (Mah! A word connoting a rebuke or denunciation). Allaah has done away with shirk and had brought Islam.” So he left her alone and went away, still looking at her, until he walked into a wall, hitting his face. He came to the Prophet

and told him what had happened. The Prophet

said: “You are a man for whom Allaah wishes good. When Allaah, may He be blessed and exalted, wishes good for His slave, He hastens the punishment for his sin, so that it is dealt with before the Day of Resurrection.” (Reported by al-Haakim, 1/349, who said this hadeeth is saheeh according to the conditions of Muslim, and al-Dhahabi agreed with him. See Saheeh al-Jaami’, 308).
These aayaat and ahaadeeth clearly indicate that it is haraam (forbidden) for men to have any kind of friendship or relationship with non-mahram women (women to whom they are not closely-related and to whom they could get married). The evil consequences and misery caused by such relationships are obvious to anyone who observes real life. A similar question has been asked under #2085. We ask Allaah to keep us far away from that which is forbidden, to protect us from all that may earn His wrath and to keep us safe from a painful punishment. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad.

(http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref=2085&ln=eng)

Na7lah
05-04-2008, 12:11 AM
Subhanallah Akhee i was gona post up the SAME article

Jazakallah Khair

Malaikah
05-04-2008, 12:32 AM

Okay, let's just look over the permissibility of having boyfriends for a moment [or rather, lack there of]... This might be a silly question but to me, I just can't understand it...

Why would you go out with this guy if you have no intention to marry him in the future? Or is just that you aren't sure yet that he is the 'one'?

arabianprincess
05-04-2008, 03:17 AM
hey

as my brother / sis said its a sin to have a bf its haram.................................... i mean talkin to a guy who isnt ur mahram ... is haram ( more than ur limits)... since talkin lead u to have bf then it will lead to sexual... im not gonna say cuz he anit muslim ... it wont matter even if he was,,, if u know u wont marry him then y stay with him knowin that hes forbidden kinda weird , was it like for the fun of,.it,, i dont wanna be mean ,,, i just dont get it... hope u understand
peace

aminahjaan
05-04-2008, 03:26 AM
you have a boyfriend, sorry to feed you a big fat dose of reality BUT it's just plain haram . So before converting him, check if you're practicing religion right. And dump him like trashhhh.

Farhan1
05-04-2008, 06:41 AM
Aslamu Alaikum Sister,
read your post the effort you take to convey the message is very much appreciated you are doing dawah May ALLAH bless it with success.if you want to make him to hear to your messages with interest dont always speak to him about it it makes him annoying or he may be bored there is time to tell it say like speaking with him for an hour or so you just give tell your feelings the joy or the message you get in about 15 minutes times briefly it should be in a way when he is alone or say seeing something he should analyse what you spoke to him for eg if he is watching a tv about any religious programme he should think about yours messages at that time.
Now i want to tell you one more thing why islam prohibits marrying a non muslim is it will get into lot of problems like say you have to fast in the month of ramadhan he may need his physical pleasure at that time there will be conflict this is just an example like this many will come up.
So sister i wish you the success and please think over all about the things going on and take a right decision in your life and choosing your life partner May ALLAH Bless you with success in your efforts and decisions you take Peace be upon you.

Snowflake
05-04-2008, 10:29 AM
asalam alaikum wr wb

Sister iliketosmile,

I appreciate that being a revert, you probably aren't aware of all that's permissable and vice versa. But as all that been said by other posters, I want to point out a another angle of why your relationship is impermissable in Islam.

You may be guarding yourself from physical contact with your BF, but it is not enough sister. It is even sinful to look at the person who is not your mahram, i.e. a person you are not allowed to marry e.g. father, brothers, uncles, grandfathers.

The Prophet (PBUH) said: "Son of Adam, your first (unintentional) look is pardonable. But beware that you do not cast a second look." (Al-Jassas)

When you are in the company of your BF, you both are looking at each other freely. Even if nothing physical takes place, you are supporting your BF to feel emotions which a muslimah should not encourage except regarding her husband.

Abu Hurayrah reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, "Allah Most High has written for the son of Adam his inevitable share of adultery, whether he is aware of it or not: The adultery of the eye is looking (at something which is sinful to look at), and the adultery of the tongue is to utter (what it is unlawful to utter), and the inner-self wishes and longs for (adultery) and the private parts turn that into reality or refrain from submitting to the temptation” (Al-Bukhari 8, 609).

To elaborate on the woman's role in encouraging haram, she who wears perfume in the company of non-mahrams is also guilty of adultery. Note how if a perfumed woman simply walking past a man wearing perfume can arouse a man's sexual attraction, then being alone in the company with one physically will be causing fireworks to explode in him. So by not refraining from what is forbidden, you are guilty of encouragement of what is forbidden. And you did say that he has made attempts before.

On the physical side, such a relationship can't be void of any type minimal physical contact. On this the Prophet (PBUH) said:

"The one who touches the hand of a woman without having a lawful relation to her, will have and ember placed on his palm on the Day of Judgment." (Takmilah, Fath-al-Qadir)

Hence my dear sis, the absence of sexual intercourse in your relationship does not make it halal. There are others haram factors involved. I hope that with the previous input from brothers and sisters and from what I've just posted, you will acknowledge that your relationship is not acceptable - even if your BF was a muslim.

May Allah guide you and us. Ameen.

wa alaikum asalam wr wb.

'Abd-al Latif
05-04-2008, 10:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
You may be guarding yourself from physical contact with your BF, but it is not enough sister. It is even sinful to look at the person who is not your mahram, i.e. a person you are not allowed to marry e.g. father, brothers, uncles, grandfathers.

I think you meant you ARE allowed to look at mahrams, such as your father, brother etc but not non-mahrams (i.e. who you are allowed to marry).

Snowflake
05-04-2008, 11:23 AM
^ :?

it makes sense to me.. if anyone else is confused i'll rephrase it

Al-Zaara
05-04-2008, 12:09 PM
^ It does make sense, don't worry.

Snowflake
05-04-2008, 01:57 PM
aww jzkAllah khair ukhti :)

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-04-2008, 04:41 PM
Lol, it makes sense...I think the brother misread it :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.