/* */

PDA

View Full Version : My brother and eating disorder

abbas_ali
05-02-2008, 11:26 PM
Salaam everyone,

I'm posting this message because I'm a little concerned about my brother. Recently, my mum has been finding packs of sweets and stuff in his room empty and every night he has been in the toilet for long periods of time, plus he has been very moody. I do psychology at uni and so know a little about eating disorders and i have had the thought that he might have bulimia and is making himself sick in the toilet. It seems far fetched and crazy to me but now i have thought of it i am worried. He has exams coming up and if he does have bulimia that could be the cause.

However, it could just be a bunch of coincidences: he has always been moody anyway plus he is 16yrs old so i guess its normal to be like that at his age, he has always liked sweets and biscuits and my mum has found packets of biscuits and stuff before but that was just like the odd one and he could just be spending long times in the toilet since the biscuits and sweets are having adverse consequences if you know what i mean!

Anyway i was just wondering what you all think i should do?
Jazakallah khair

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
gladTidings
05-03-2008, 09:53 PM
:sl: brother,

Im just wondering what do u think his initiative is to make himself vomit? Does he feel insecure about his weight?

If he is bulemic, there may be other indications in his behaviour. If he is binge eating, hiding food and showing symtoms of depression and anxiety, it may be possible that he is bulemic. Many bulemics also have mood disorders, so that might explain his moody behaviour.

However I would suggest not to jump to conclusions and talk to your brother. Ask him if he has been feeling anxious about his upcoming exams or has any other worries, he may be having problems with peers at school? Most importantly just let him know that you are there if he wants to talk about anything, even if he just wants to moan about exams. Its important that you talk to him as a friend.. elder siblings can be intimidating.

I hope its nothing serious inshAllah.
Ws

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.