/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Calling a muslim using the right names?

Abdul-Raouf
05-03-2008, 12:44 AM
Is it correct to call a muslim...
named Abdul-Raouf or Abdul-Raheem or Abdul-Rahman or Abdul-Latheef.....or any similar name with the first part Abdul-...
with the name Raouf or Raheem or Rahman or Latheef.... .... ......?????

I personally feel its wrong... because...Raheem / Raouf /Latheef...../.../... are names of ALLAH... and u cant call anyone with those names..except HIM...I think that u should always call him with the full name...

Whats the scholars view ....... ????

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Malaikah
05-03-2008, 01:09 AM
:sl:

Do you mean calling them just Raheem, Lateef etc?

If so, it is permissible for some of the names but not all of them.

Hopefully someone will be able to you more info on that.

Abdul-Raouf
05-03-2008, 05:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

yes

cute123
05-03-2008, 07:19 AM
Good question.!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MinAhlilHadeeth
05-03-2008, 09:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

If so, it is permissible for some of the names but not all of them.

Hopefully someone will be able to you more info on that.
:wasalamex

Na'am, it also has to do with whether you are making the name Ma'rifah (specific/known) or Nakira (unknown/general). For example:

Al-Lateef (Ma'rifah)

Lateef (Nakira)

However, as you stated, some of the Asmaa of Allaah are impermissible when used for other than Allaah, e.g. Rahmaan. I don't know which other Names of Allaah fit this category, though.

Danah
05-03-2008, 09:24 AM
I think its depend on how you are saying it. like sis Faizah said
because many of Allah names are descriptions
for example raheem is the one how show mercy, man can show mercy to his children or to the people, but I think if you said Al-Raheem you are refering to the one that everyone know (Allah) that there is no one is compatible with.

if the name of Allah mean that there is not one like Allah in this thing then it is forbidden to use this name
example: Al Ghaffar = is the one who forgive a lot, I dont think that we can use this name to refer to the human because there is no one like Allah in forgiveness

the same thing applied to Al rahman: the one who is the most in showing mercy

wa Allah Aalam (Allah know the best)

glo
05-03-2008, 01:29 PM
I just googles the name 'Abdul', and I gather it means 'servant of'.
So in effect all the names mentioned above would mean 'servant of God'?

Amat Allah
05-03-2008, 03:53 PM
Thats right glo all the names mentioned above mean servant of Allah and we have to add Abdul befor every name and adjective belonging to Allah like Ar_Rhman (The Most Merciful ),if we want to make a name from it for ourselves we have to add Abdul to be Abdul_Rahman cause we can`t call ourselves by any name blong to Allah .He is above everything and everyone in this world..

anyway I agree with my dear sister Faizah and SAYA....

may Allah guide us all to the right path...

Ameeeeeeeeeeeeen

Abdul-Raouf
05-04-2008, 12:32 AM
Ameen

Muslim Knight
05-04-2008, 09:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I just googles the name 'Abdul', and I gather it means 'servant of'.
So in effect all the names mentioned above would mean 'servant of God'?
'Abd = servant

'Abd ul = servant of

Yes. It is common practice to put prefix Abdul- to some of the 99 names of God. Most common are Rahmaan and Raheem which denotes God's attributes of being the Most Compassionate and the Most Merciful.

Other names of God which denote His overwhelming stature and power, like Al-Mutakabbir or Al-Jabbar, are not used, simply out of respect that He alone is fit to wear the names because of His grandeur and magnificence. So you'll almost never hear people with names Abdul Mutakabbir or Abdul Jabbar.

The Prophet used to do this for his companions who had pre-Islamic names which carry bad meanings, he often changed their names to Abdul Rahmaan, e.g. for Abu Hurayrah and Abdul Rahmaan ibn Auf radiyallahu 'anhum (Allah be pleased with them).

Abdullah = servant of Allah = servant of God

Abdul Rahmaan = servant of the Most Compassionate

Abdul Raheem = servant of the Most Merciful

cute123
05-04-2008, 12:03 PM
Just to add a bit note. Like for Raheem, It would be Abdur Rahim, (as raa is a huruf al shams).

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.