/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Charity - Christian Aid week

glo
05-03-2008, 02:59 PM
Greetings to all

Next week is Christian Aid week here in the UK, and I am one of the voluteers.
For those of you who don't know about Christian Aid - here is some information from their website:

We stand with the world’s poorest people to bring poverty and injustice to an end – regardless of faith or ethnicity.

We cross divides of religion, race and nationality, acting as the good Samaritan and going the extra mile to proclaim release to captives.

Wherever we can make a difference, Christian Aid works with and through local organisations – our partners. For many years Christian Aid has worked with partners of all faiths and none who share our vision of championing the eradication of poverty and injustice.

We work in more than 50 countries, for example Afghanistan, the Occupied Palestinian Territories, Colombia, Nigeria, Kenya and Brazil. We are frequently not alone: Christian Aid often works with sister agencies, such as Action by Churches Together International, in disaster relief activities.

With our partners and allies, we uphold a commitment to honesty, professionalism, mutual respect, accountability and diversity. We are committed to the Red Cross and Red Crescent Code of Conduct, meaning we never link aid with evangelism.

Christian Aid is a voice for the poor, not afraid of getting political. We believe that God does not want poverty, injustice, discrimination and unsustainable development in the world. So we campaign for change, challenging structures and systems that make and keep people poor. The values of justice, peace and love must challenge the world’s values and our own, prompting us to re-examine how our lifestyles and decisions affect others. That is our charitable purpose and part of our Christian vocation. It does not mean getting involved in party politics but it does mean confronting with the truth people who have the power to change things. Christian Aid does not try to hide its anger when poor people are exploited.
Hope into action

Whether they have a faith or not, people support Christian Aid because they know we have the courage and integrity to take the difficult positions. They expect us to deliver good-quality aid that tangibly helps people in need. They know we are a bold, incisive, effective, efficient, results orientated, growing and ambitious organisation that equips and encourages people to put their faith into action.

Our faith tells us that ending poverty and suffering is not simply a dream but an imperative from God. It gives us the confidence to turn this hope into practical action.
Source: http://www.christianaid.org.uk/about...ore_death.aspx

My job will be to go from door to door, putting small donation envelopes through the letterboxes, which explain the purpose of Christian Aid ... and to return a few days later to collect the envelopes from those people who are willing to contribute.
There is no pressure or obligation to give ... quite often people will say that they support other charitable causes or that they would prefer not to give anything, and that is fine!

I am wondering how to address this with my Muslim neighbours.
This is a Christian charity.
I aims to fight poverty in the poorest countries on this earth - regardless of race or religion.
Christian Aid is committed to not evangelise/spread the Christian faith.

Given that charity is so strongly emphasized in Islam, would it be appropriate to distribute these envelopes to my Muslim neighbours too? Or would it be likely to cause embarrassment or offense?

What's your advice?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MustafaMc
05-03-2008, 03:15 PM
I see no harm for a Christian charity to solicit donations from Muslims to help the poor, particularly if it is emphasized that the charity does not promote Christianity or making conversion as a pre-requisite to one receiving aid. However, I would decline to contribute and chose instead to give through Islamic Relief. I do see that the intention is an honorable one.

Amat Allah
05-03-2008, 03:29 PM
me too my dear sister glo, Inshaa Allah they will accept it...

Ali.
05-03-2008, 05:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Given that charity is so strongly emphasized in Islam, would it be appropriate to distribute these envelopes to my Muslim neighbours too?
Why not.

Or would it be likely to cause embarrassment or offense
No, it wouldnt in my opinion. But ofcourse, opinions differ from person to person; maybe somebody will find it offensive. But if I got this letter in the post, I wouldn't be offended.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
islamirama
05-03-2008, 06:28 PM
There are christian evengalist and other fundies who go to the poor countries and give food on condition of you accepting the bible. These fools went to india after tsunami hit and offered local indians food and bible when the bibles were rejected, they turned their food trucks around and left. This made local headlines. These same fools take advantage of poor starving to death people in africa and buy their religion from them in exchange for their lives and means to live. They are not wanted nor accepted by other faiths and nations. They are the worst type of christians out there, who care only about meeting their quota and "saving the soul" and not caring about the conditions of others.

There are other honest hard working christian agencies in africa who also have spoken out against these fundie christians who are ruining their efforts to help as well with these low life tactics.

I posted a thread in comparative religion advising christians to think and ask questions before donating to their chruches for aide. Please do read it....

I know you said in your post that you are not part of nor work with evangalist types. To Muslims who are well aware of what these missionary's in disguise are doing, it will be hard to convince them otherwise. Perhaps you can stress the part that you do not do any missionary work nor preach christianity but rather work solely on humanitarian basis to provide aide and what not. Also, you could suggest that if they don't feel comfortable with donating to christian charity then perhaps they can have their Muslim charity to join up with yours for betterment of humanity and they can go thru their muslim charity.

north_malaysian
05-04-2008, 05:02 AM
Maybe Christian Aid should work together with Islamic Relief in helping the poors...

ddz
05-04-2008, 11:39 PM
There are christian evengalist and other fundies who go to the poor countries and give food on condition of you accepting the bible. These fools went to india after tsunami hit and offered local indians food and bible when the bibles were rejected, they turned their food trucks around and left. This made local headlines. These same fools take advantage of poor starving to death people in africa and buy their religion from them in exchange for their lives and means to live. They are not wanted nor accepted by other faiths and nations. They are the worst type of christians out there, who care only about meeting their quota and "saving the soul" and not caring about the conditions of others.
Your quite right on this, and I have been very sceptic towards those who help the helpless on harsh conditions such as conversions... I beleive no matter what faith/colour/culture, if a brother/sister/family needs help, we should provide the upmost

format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Maybe Christian Aid should work together with Islamic Relief in helping the poors...
What a wonderful thing that would be :)

glo
05-04-2008, 11:56 PM
Thank you, all, for your thoughts and your advice.

There is so much need in this world ... and luckily there are uncounted charities, so we can all choose the ones we feel are most appropriate.

I agree with islamirama and ddz, that it is very important to be clear about what a charity's aims are, before one gives any money whatsoever!

On that note: What charities do you give to?
Feel free to name charities and post links.

(This is not about who gives the most to charity ... but about sharing good charitable causes with others)

Here is one I came across recently:
Unlike many charities that do many different things, The Smile Train is focused on solving a single problem: cleft lip and palate.
Clefts are a major problem in developing countries where there are millions of children who are suffering with unrepaired clefts. Most cannot eat or speak properly. Aren’t allowed to attend school or hold a job. And face very difficult lives filled with shame and isolation, pain and heartache.

This just might be the most effective, impactful donation to a charity
you ever make.
100% of your donation will go towards programs that help children, 0% will go to overhead.
The free cleft surgery your donation will help provide, is a true, modern-day medical miracle: it costs as little as $250 and takes as little as 45 minutes.
That’s all it takes to give a desperate child not just a new smile, but a new life.
http://www.smiletrain.org/site/PageServer

This is little Angelica.
Before the op:

And after ...

Isn't she adorable?

ddz
05-05-2008, 12:08 AM
well, I have been contacted by Oxfam, but I had to unfortanatley decline the offer because the guy was trying to lure me in with the guilt trip and I didnt like his approach, I beleive I would have donated if he approached me with a little bit more respect...

I have donated for Cafod through my church, they are a well known and well trusted charity which have been helping third world countries for a long time, I've donated to Islamic Releif before as well

islamirama
05-05-2008, 12:54 AM
There are many Islamic charities out there and doing a good job. Sadly, most of the big charities in the US were labeled "terrorist" and shut down and their millions of dollar stolen by the gov't. But still there are quite few good charities out there. here's a few i like.

http://www.pcwf.org/
http://www.islamic-relief.com/
http://hidaya.org/

glo
05-05-2008, 12:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
Sadly, most of the big charities in the US were labeled "terrorist" and shut down and their millions of dollar stolen by the gov't.
Is that true???! :uuh:
Do you have any links on this?

جوري
05-05-2008, 01:49 AM
I wouldn't hand christian charities money anymore than a drunken guy on the street money.. in fact just last week one of them claimed he was a sick, hungry veteran who needed treatment and was maltreated by the govt. not only did I offer him my lunch but to go to pharm with him to pay for his meds, when he made a complete 180.. he wasn't interested in food or meds, but booze and drugs.. by same token I wouldn't hand money to christian charities so they can go evangelizing in Muslim countries funded by Muslim money.. the hilarity!

جوري
05-05-2008, 01:50 AM
There you go some of the Muslim charities that were closed and deemed terrorists

Help for the Poor & Needy
Action Against Hunger • Red Cross New York • 12 Tips
• GRF banned • BIF banned • HLF banned • If you donated your zakat in last three months to any of these organizations, ask your Congressperson and senator to get Uncle Sam to return your money back to you.
http://newyorkmuslims.com/

Keltoi
05-05-2008, 03:05 PM
Most of the charity work I get involved with these days is local, but if I found an international charity I had confidence in I would gladly donate.

glo
05-05-2008, 03:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
Most of the charity work I get involved with these days is local, but if I found an international charity I had confidence in I would gladly donate.
What kind of local work do you get involved in, Keltoi?

ddz
05-05-2008, 04:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skye Ephémérine
I wouldn't hand christian charities money anymore than a drunken guy on the street money.. in fact just last week one of them claimed he was a sick, hungry veteran who needed treatment and was maltreated by the govt. not only did I offer him my lunch but to go to pharm with him to pay for his meds, when he made a complete 180.. he wasn't interested in food or meds, but booze and drugs.. by same token I wouldn't hand money to christian charities so they can go evangelizing in Muslim countries funded by Muslim money.. the hilarity!
I understand your concern to an extent.. I agree that evangelist sect of christianity is a little dodgey.. beleive me I've done research and sometimes I feel like they give chraity a bad name, as well as christians... 1 thing to bear in mind is... not ALL of them are like that...

Sorry to hear your experience with a drunk, and may God bless you for your honorable deed... though he cheated you, please be happy in the fact that God has filled your heart with mercy and love.. there are bound to be people like that in the world, but to compare them to Christian Charities is.. harsh.. there are GOOD christian organisations CAFOD being one of many of them..

And you could you tell me if Islamic Charities go to christian dominated third world countries and help out and all through this, dont ever utter their thoughts on islam? They would have and interest in preaching what they beleive to be good right?

BACK ON TRACK, Glo, when talking to Non Christians about this charity, make it evident that it is a completley legitimate company who helps everyone no matter what cultural/relgious background, I would also go on to say that though the company is called christian aid, its goal would be the same as an islamic, hindu etc etc charity, and that is to provide help..

Jesus said 'For when you didnt help the least of your brothers and sisters, you didnt help me, when you abandoned your neighbour you abandoned me, when you never clothed them, you left me naked' or something along those liness hehe it'd b worth droppin that in as well i reckon ;) hehe

MustafaMc
05-05-2008, 05:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ddz
And you could you tell me if Islamic Charities go to christian dominated third world countries and help out and all through this, dont ever utter their thoughts on islam? They would have and interest in preaching what they beleive to be good right?
Yes, I agree that this is only natural, hence I would expect there to be at least subtle attempts at prostelizing during the act of giving aid by a religous organization. Hence, my reluctance to contribute, but to not be offended by the solicitation for support.

جوري
05-05-2008, 06:43 PM
I understand your concern to an extent.. I agree that evangelist sect of christianity is a little dodgey.. beleive me I've done research and sometimes I feel like they give chraity a bad name, as well as christians... 1 thing to bear in mind is... not ALL of them are like that...
I am sure they are not.. me being extra cautious, I cannot tell which is which, would rather stick with what I know.. I don't gamble!

Sorry to hear your experience with a drunk, and may God bless you for your honorable deed... though he cheated you, please be happy in the fact that God has filled your heart with mercy and love.. there are bound to be people like that in the world, but to compare them to Christian Charities is.. harsh.. there are GOOD christian organisations CAFOD being one of many of them..
Some people are professional at it, and I can always spot them... I always carry extra lunch on me in the car in case someone decides to wipe my window, or stop me for cash. I can't bear the burden of the sin of giving someone money that I know they will use for liquor. I know exactly why they purchase liquor too especially in the winter month, but don't feel like going into the biochemistry of it...
over my last few months here in a town I consider quite affluent. I had one lady pretend she is hungry and pregnant still refused the food I gave her, I was bewildered really given that she said she wanted nutrients for her unborn child.. I knew she was just grossly obese and wanted to capitalize on it, and one other dude with x-rays standing by hospital with a long winded story about his wife getting chemo and he has no money..

unfortunately they are professionals... every now and then you'll run into someone genuinely cold and hungry and they will accept a soup, a sandwitch or whatever you give them.. moral of the story is, just like there is a thousand con artist for the few needy, there are tons of shady charities for the few good..

I don't know what Islamic charities do, but as a general rule I don't think you should offer religion in exchange for a full stomach.. It is just low!

BACK ON TRACK, Glo, when talking to Non Christians about this charity, make it evident that it is a completley legitimate company who helps everyone no matter what cultural/relgious background, I would also go on to say that though the company is called christian aid, its goal would be the same as an islamic, hindu etc etc charity, and that is to provide help..
My personal experience with such charities, as I have been to countries like Tanzania, is that they bribe children as young as 6 or 7 with things like bicycles in exchange for a conversion...

Jesus said 'For when you didnt help the least of your brothers and sisters, you didnt help me, when you abandoned your neighbour you abandoned me, when you never clothed them, you left me naked' or something along those liness hehe it'd b worth droppin that in as well i reckon ;) hehe

indeed.. a far cry from Jesus peace be upon him, from what I know of modern christians!

cheers

glo
05-05-2008, 06:57 PM
indeed.. a far cry from Jesus peace be upon him, from what I know of modern christians!
Greetings, Skye

Do you include all Christians in this statement? Like, all 2 billion of them? :?

Thanks for your comments, all. Especially from Muslims, since that was the group of people I was most concerned about with regards to this charity job ...
I conclude that there are some strong views about this, and that I may have to be prepared for people to voice them, when I appear on their doorstep.
Like I said before, that's fine with me.

I will follow ddz's advice and make sure that I have all necessary information about this charity available.

Apart from that, I'll be my usual cheerful self, trust in God and hope for the best! :)

God's peace to you all

جوري
05-05-2008, 07:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Greetings, Skye

Do you include all Christians in this statement? Like, all 2 billion of them? :?
Greetings-- I mean that christianity of today isn't what Jesus PBUH was preaching... To me it is a form of Paganism, and Jesus PBUH was a monotheist worshipping the one God-- praying to the one God in the garden of Gethsemane-- not worshipping himself, not an archangel and not his mother-- I am not going to foster something no matter how well meaning that I believe to be wrong at the very nucleus...

cheers

ddz
05-05-2008, 08:31 PM
I am sure they are not.. me being extra cautious, I cannot tell which is which, would rather stick with what I know.. I don't gamble!
Fair enough, and I respect that.. but if you stick to only what you know, the story is always certain to be 1 sided my brother..

I don't know what Islamic charities do, but as a general rule I don't think you should offer religion in exchange for a full stomach.. It is just low!
Your right in saying that, but... I just hope you dont think Christian led charities are responsible for this... its a global issue within all religious charities because from what you have said.. it seems awfully sad that people use that to make others convert... but know that Non Christian Religious based charities have possibly done this as well, Islamic ones being no exception my brother...

My personal experience with such charities, as I have been to countries like Tanzania, is that they bribe children as young as 6 or 7 with things like bicycles in exchange for a conversion...
Your looking at the negative side of it.. =P Off Course these things occur in many countries accross the world all day every day, but I can also assure you that the majority of the charities who are not involved with such things deliver food and water, all working for the greater good...

REALLY didnt get what you mean... could you ellborate?

Greetings-- I mean that christianity of today isn't what Jesus PBUH was preaching
Your right to a very certain extent- Christianity was not even a Religion as Jesus was preaching to Jews... it only came to be many years after his ascension into heaven..

To me it is a form of Paganism, and Jesus PBUH was a monotheist worshipping the one God-- praying to the one God in the garden of Gethsemane-- not worshipping himself, not an archangel and not his mother
He was monotheistic.. and on the terms of paganism and what not... you are entitled to your opinion as is everyone else, God Bless you Bro.

I am not going to foster something no matter how well meaning that I believe to be wrong at the very nucleus...
Fair enough.. thanks for sharing your opinion at least :) Peace be with you

جوري
05-05-2008, 08:43 PM
Fair enough, and I respect that.. but if you stick to only what you know, the story is always certain to be 1 sided my brother..
indeed.. for instance, you have made the assumption that I am a br. when in fact I am not.. it is human to neglect what might be very obvious?!

Your right in saying that, but... I just hope you dont think Christian led charities are responsible for this... its a global issue within all religious charities because from what you have said.. it seems awfully sad that people use that to make others convert... but know that Non Christian Religious based charities have possibly done this as well, Islamic ones being no exception my brother...
As I said, I think it low to offer food for a conversion.. offering da3wa in Islam is/was never contingent on hypocrisy... I think you'd probably see it all over the news 'Muslims offering food for conversion' as the media really loves to milk it.. unlike for instance Evangelists who think they are so entitled to infiltrate people and change their belief system..

• The Unreached Peoples Prayer Profiles
  • Maldives
  • The Republic of Maldives is made up of 1,200 coral islands, 202 of which are inhabited. Located 600 km. southwest of Sri Lanka, Maldives is grouped into 19 administrative groups. The entire country is less than two meters above sea level and thus, susceptible to the effects of global warming. Fishing and tourism are the significant industries.
  • Maldives has a long tradition of isolated independence. The nation was an independent British protectorate until 1965. It has been a non-party democratic republic since 1968.
  • Islam is the only recognized religion, and the government uses all its power to enforce allegiance to Islam and to forbid the importation of Christian materials. The Maldivians are among the least evangelized people on earth, as there are no Scriptures in their language and no Christian radio programs. There have never been any resident missionaries.

http://kcm.co.kr/bethany_eng/c_code/maldives.html

Your looking at the negative side of it.. =P Off Course these things occur in many countries accross the world all day every day, but I can also assure you that the majority of the charities who are not involved with such things deliver food and water, all working for the greater good...
My views are not random but well founded, see previous!

REALLY didnt get what you mean... could you ellborate?
???

Your right to a very certain extent- Christianity was not even a Religion as Jesus was preaching to Jews... it only came to be many years after his ascension into heaven..
:)

He was monotheistic.. and on the terms of paganism and what not... you are entitled to your opinion as is everyone else, God Bless you Bro.
I agree he was monotheistic, I never said otherwise, however I disagree that he was/is God... the fact that each of us holds a stance means that we already have our doubts about the other's point of view.. I mean you no harm by stating my beliefs!

Fair enough.. thanks for sharing your opinion at least :) Peace be with you
and with you

cheers

ddz
05-05-2008, 08:55 PM
indeed.. for instance, you have made the assumption that I am a br. when in fact I am not.. it is human to neglect what might be very obvious?!
Whats a Br?! lool

As I said, I think it low to offer food for a conversion.. offering da3wa in Islam is/was never contingent on hypocrisy... I think you'd probably see it all over the news.. unlike for instance Evangelists who think they are so entitled to infiltrate people and change their belief system..

* The Unreached Peoples Prayer Profiles
* Maldives
* The Republic of Maldives is made up of 1,200 coral islands, 202 of which are inhabited. Located 600 km. southwest of Sri Lanka, Maldives is grouped into 19 administrative groups. The entire country is less than two meters above sea level and thus, susceptible to the effects of global warming. Fishing and tourism are the significant industries.
* Maldives has a long tradition of isolated independence. The nation was an independent British protectorate until 1965. It has been a non-party democratic republic since 1968.
* Islam is the only recognized religion, and the government uses all its power to enforce allegiance to Islam and to forbid the importation of Christian materials. The Maldivians are among the least evangelized people on earth, as there are no Scriptures in their language and no Christian radio programs. There have never been any resident missionaries.

http://kcm.co.kr/bethany_eng/c_code/maldives.html
welp, good to know a country is taking good measures to protect their beleifs, but as previously said, I myself dont really trust evangelists.. but I can however say that always using this as an example will always put the overall bad mark on christians which is unfair in my opinion... just like an extremist muslim preaching his opinion- doesnt mean the whole of islam is based on just what his actions are..

جوري
05-05-2008, 09:01 PM
Whats a Br?! lool
A brother.. which I am not :D

welp, good to know a country is taking good measures to protect their beleifs, but as previously said, I myself dont really trust evangelists.. but I can however say that always using this as an example will always put the overall bad mark on christians which is unfair in my opinion... just like an extremist muslim preaching his opinion- doesnt mean the whole of islam is based on just what his actions are..

I never argued that there are good christian charities, or cast doubt on the intent of some of them, I merely stated I stick with what I know, it is a matter of preference... chocolate ice cream has always been good and nice, but I personally prefer butterscotch...

So long as the money/food/clothes/meds get to folks who needs them, then whatever route you took is fine...

peace

ddz
05-05-2008, 09:30 PM
A brother.. which I am not
ahh dude! you know what I meant tho! lool obviously you aint my bro and im surre you kno I dont mean it in a literal sense, its jus outta respect ya kno?!

MustafaMc
05-05-2008, 09:32 PM
How is http://christianaid.org.uk different from http://christianaid.org/Default.aspx ?

Christian Aid Mission

We seek to establish a witness for our Lord Jesus among unreached people groups by assisting highly effective native missionaries in poorer countries who already know the languages and culture and are getting the job done for less cost.

جوري
05-05-2008, 09:38 PM
ahh dude! you know what I meant tho! lool obviously you aint my bro and im surre you kno I dont mean it in a literal sense, its jus outta respect ya kno?!
No I mean I am a sister (in humanity)..

you are too funny

cheers

جوري
05-05-2008, 09:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MustafaMc
How is http://christianaid.org.uk different from http://christianaid.org/Default.aspx ?

Christian Aid Mission

We seek to establish a witness for our Lord Jesus among unreached people groups by assisting highly effective native missionaries in poorer countries who already know the languages and culture and are getting the job done for less cost.
amazing isn't it? sob7an Allah.. put food in their belly and lead them astray... how disheartening and off putting!

Jazaka Allah khyran for sharing... I have seen first hand what they do in Africa so I am not surprised even if they advertise otherwise..

:w:

MustafaMc
05-05-2008, 10:14 PM
amazing isn't it? sob7an Allah.. put food in their belly and lead them astray... how disheartening and off putting!
I don't know that the organizations are related in any way as the one without "uk" ending is based out of Virginia, USA. The one that Glo will be promoting in England seems to be different as it has a political agenda in addition to being charitable.

Wikipedia

Christian Aid campaigns to change the rules and systems that keep people poor, speaking out on issues such as trade justice, climate change and Third World debt. It is a major member of the Trade Justice Movement and Make Poverty History campaigns.

I still find it hard to believe that a charitable organization with a religious affinity will not try to promote its own religion, particularly in an area where it is the minority.

Amadeus85
05-05-2008, 10:21 PM
In my opinion christian aid organizations shouldnt be in Iraq or Afghanistan nowadays as we have our forces there now. Its controversial.
About this giving food or clothes for conversion its simply bad, but I also heard that muslim charities do the same in Kenia(especially Nairobi slums) and Uganda.Those are exampes that i know from sources.

ddz
05-05-2008, 10:29 PM
No I mean I am a sister (in humanity)..

you are too funny

cheers
OH SNAP!! :-[ SORRY!! im so dopey lol

MustafaMc
05-05-2008, 10:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
About this giving food or clothes for conversion its simply bad, but I also heard that muslim charities do the same in Kenia(especially Nairobi slums) and Uganda.Those are exampes that i know from sources.
I agree to withhold food from a needy person unless he converts to your religion does not seem to be in accordance with God's Will. Even the giving of water to a thirsty dog is seen as a charitable deed in Islam. Isn't giving food to a needy human, regardless of his religious inclination, an even more honorable charitable deed?

With that said, if I was a volunteer for Islamic Relief, I would probably give aid to anyone "In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Mercifu." Likewise, don't you think a Christian would say, "In the Name of Jesus, the Son of God" as he handed out a bag of rice?

جوري
05-05-2008, 11:02 PM
People become Muslim because they want to, not because they are being forced to...Muslims offer help and relief when christians failed in Africa, and as a result, they come to Islam willingly. I don't think there is a worst time for Muslims, yet here it, the fastest growing religion.. see my previous post on the 6000 German converts..

Islam Attracting Many Survivors of Rwanda Genocide
Jihad Is Taught as 'Struggle to Heal'

By Emily Wax
Washington Foreign Post Service
Monday, September 23, 2002; Page A10
"I know people in America think Muslims are terrorists, but for Rwandans they were our freedom fighters during the genocide," said Jean Pierre Sagahutu, 37, a Tutsi who converted to Islam from Catholicism after his father and nine other members of his family were slaughtered. "I wanted to hide in a church, but that was the worst place to go. Instead, a Muslim family took me. They saved my life."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2002Sep22.html

جوري
05-05-2008, 11:03 PM
OH SNAP!! :-[ SORRY!! im so dopey lol
lol.. no don't worry about it... :D

cheers

glo
05-06-2008, 06:10 AM
I am sorry to see that this thread is turning into an opportunity to slag of charities and/or religious groups.

As far as my original question goes, the thread has fulfilled its purpose, so I would be happy if the mods could close it.

Salaam :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.