/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Malaysia: Do we have enough food?

north_malaysian
05-04-2008, 05:24 AM
Do we have enough?

Rice
70% locally produced, the rest imported from Thailand and Vietnam.

Eggs
100% self-sufficient.

Cucumber and most greens
100% self-sufficient.

Onions
Nearly 100% imported from India, Thailand and China.

Ikan Bilis (Dried Anchovies)
65% locally caught, the rest imported mainly from Thailand and the Philippines.

Chicken
100% self-sufficient but poultry industry asking for ceiling price to be raised or farms will close.

The good news is that we are pretty self-sufficient in producing most of the basic foods that we consume. But many of these items are price regulated or subsidised, making the cost unrealistics. Can the government continue to subsidise our food and fuel?

Paying more for our meals

To subsidise or not to, to lift the ceiling price or not to? While the Government is considering these options and has not pressed the panic button about our food situation yet, the rice in food prices is hitting everyone.

BY LOONG MENG YEE
newsdesk@thestar.com.my

The rising of global prices of food have been described as the "silent tsunami" coming our way. And chief among the concerns is the shortage of rice.

When Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi met his Thai counterpart Samak Sundaravej in Putrajaya recently, food security, triggered mainly by shortage of rice, was a new issue on the agenda.

Malaysia imports 480,000 tonnes of rice from Thailand, which accounts 60% of our total rice imports to satisfy annual needs of more than 2,000,000 tonnes.

Being a rice consuming and producing country, not many Malaysians would have thought that the day would come when we had to stop taking our staple food for granted.

Source: The Star, 04.05.2008 (page F21).

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
north_malaysian
05-04-2008, 05:30 AM
Main Rice Producing State Runs Out of Grain

Shahrir wants to know why subsidised staple no longer available in stores

ALOR STAR: Subsidised local rice is said to be no longer available in the state (State of Kedah) and the government has directed an investigation into the matter.

Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs Minister Datuk Shahrir Samad, who called on the Control of Paddy and Rice Division to do so, said he wanted to know why such rice was no longer available.

"I have asked the division (which comes under the Agricultural and Agrobased Industry Ministry) to check."

Source: The Star, 04.05.2008, page N3

Muslim Knight
05-04-2008, 06:38 AM
I hope the situation doesn't worsen. Otherwise I'd have to eat this new LCD monitor I just bought last night.

north_malaysian
05-04-2008, 12:32 PM
My mum bought a 10kg of rice last Sunday, and the price was RM 24.50, today we went to the same mini-mart and checked the price of the same thing and it costs RM 29.50. And this happened in a state which is the largest producer of rice in the nation.

People have started turning on the "panic button" by buying 2 to 3 packs of 10kg rice.....

:exhausted

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Güven
05-04-2008, 12:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Knight
I hope the situation doesn't worsen. Otherwise I'd have to eat this new LCD monitor I just bought last night.
LOl hahaha :D

Tania
05-04-2008, 07:57 PM
Around 60% for monthly income goes on food. and they still wish to increase the prices :X

north_malaysian
05-05-2008, 12:44 AM
Malaysians spent 15% of their monthly income on food... but it would be something in the past....

Maybe Malaysians should fast until the end of the food crisis... imagine that we could save lots of food for not having Breakfast, Morning Tea Break, Lunch and Afternoon Tea Break...

Tania
05-05-2008, 06:01 AM
Yes but you will damage the stomach health. And once you got the ulcer, you have to live with it.
Potatoes are good too. May be the people will change their diet, if the rice will become too expensive.

north_malaysian
05-05-2008, 06:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tania
Yes but you will damage the stomach health. And once you got the ulcer, you have to live with it.
Potatoes are good too. May be the people will change their diet, if the rice will become too expensive.
Potatoes... you must be kidding...

99.99% of Malaysians cannot live without rice as the fish cannot live without water....

I can live without rice...no problem... but not other Malaysians..:exhausted

Maybe Malaysians should stop eating rice on 24hr basis... there are people who eat rice at 3.00 AM... and it's NORMAL here.

north_malaysian
05-05-2008, 06:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Knight
"Goreng pun sodap!!":D
(It is still delicious after being fried)

Amadeus85
05-05-2008, 10:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Potatoes... you must be kidding...

99.99% of Malaysians cannot live without rice as the fish cannot live without water....

I can live without rice...no problem... but not other Malaysians..:exhausted

Maybe Malaysians should stop eating rice on 24hr basis... there are people who eat rice at 3.00 AM... and it's NORMAL here.
:D I also heard the same about Malaysians. Rice+Chicken+Vegetables is your favourite dish right? :)

north_malaysian
05-06-2008, 12:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
:D I also heard the same about Malaysians. Rice+Chicken+Vegetables is your favourite dish right? :)
Rice+Chicken+NO VEGGIES = Malaysian kids
Rice+Fish+Vegetables+Lots of Curry = Malaysian adults

Tania
05-06-2008, 06:00 AM
Excuse me but the kids should eat lot of veggies :-[ why they are spare from that :?

Malaikah
05-06-2008, 06:10 AM
Do you have any proof that fasting is unhealthy for the stomach or that it causes ulcers?

north_malaysian
05-06-2008, 06:45 AM
Excuse me but the kids should eat lot of veggies :-[ why they are spare from that :?
I never seen any Malaysian parents forcing their kids to eat veggies...:blind:

My mum is so lucky as I really love veggies when I was still a kid.... thanks to her bolognaise sauce! :D

north_malaysian
05-06-2008, 06:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
Do you have any proof that fasting is unhealthy for the stomach or that it causes ulcers?
I said to her that maybe I should fast until the food crisis is over... which might take months ... or years...

I think that she's not talking about fasting in Ramadhan. :D

Tania
05-06-2008, 08:07 AM
I said to her that maybe I should fast until the food crisis is over... which might take months ... or years...

I think that she's not talking about fasting in Ramadhan. :D
Correct :D We have other type of fasting too :-[

Malaikah
05-06-2008, 09:00 AM
Oh, sorry, my mistake. Well, yeh, understandable that fasting probably wouldn't be great for your health over all if you did it non-stop for a number of years lol.

[p.s. broccoli rocks].

north_malaysian
05-07-2008, 12:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
Oh, sorry, my mistake. Well, yeh, understandable that fasting probably wouldn't be great for your health over all if you did it non-stop for a number of years lol.

[p.s. broccoli rocks].
"number of years"? I really hope that the food crisis would be ended ...like...tomorrow...:exhausted

The only way to make a kid eating the broccoli is by tempura frying....

syilla
05-07-2008, 02:10 AM
I think Malaysian are so used with plenty of food that sometimes they tend to waste. They love eat alot and eat outside food. Never had any problems to get food here...

Malaysian should remember how the older generation has survived. How we managed to eat only 'ikan kering' and 'ubi keledek'. And there was no such thing as waste of food.

Maybe now it is the best time to remember and try our best to appreciate the food that we have (teach the younger generation) and not to waste the food.

north_malaysian
05-07-2008, 05:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
Malaysian should remember how the older generation has survived. How we managed to eat only 'ikan kering' and 'ubi keledek'. And there was no such thing as waste of food.
Are you talking about the people who lived under the Japanese occupation?

When it come wasting of food.... I have to agree with you... Malaysians are really good in doing that.

Maybe the government should ban 24hrs nasi kandar or McDonald's restaurants... 24hrs of eating can make Malaysians overweight and wasting their times.

syilla
05-07-2008, 05:41 AM
Are you talking about the people who lived under the Japanese occupation?
not really... i think most of our grandparents eat like that. especially during the flood.

i think it is a good idea for the government to start banning all the 24 hours operations for the restaurant. Now we should start save our money and buy only necessary things.

north_malaysian
05-07-2008, 05:52 AM
not really... i think most of our grandparents eat like that. especially during the flood.
There are no flood season in Penang... Penangites have been eating curry since the 18th century...

i think it is a good idea for the government to start banning all the 24 hours operations for the restaurant. Now we should start save our money and buy only necessary things.
Yes.. they should... but it would be protested by zillions of Malaysians who still love to spend 1/2 of their night by eating and chatting in these restaurants...... i think Malaysians should blame themselves for indulging themselves in this 24hr eating habits... I wonder if this kind of dietary exist in other countries?

syilla
05-07-2008, 05:58 AM
There are no flood season in Penang... Penangites have been eating curry since the 18th century...
do you have curry 'ikan kering'?

Yes.. they should... but it would be protested by zillions of Malaysians who still love to spend 1/2 of their night by eating and chatting in these restaurants...... i think Malaysians should blame themselves for indulging themselves in this 24hr eating habits... I wonder if this kind of dietary exist in other countries?
Probably not... at least the non-asian country, even some of the country close their shopping complex at 5pm. :exhausted

north_malaysian
05-07-2008, 06:27 AM
do you have curry 'ikan kering'?
"Gulai Ikan Kering" - yes... we have it... but we use those big and expensive dried/salted fish (especially the head) ... we put some jackfruit (nangka) in it too... best eaten with hard boiled eggs and "sambal belacan" ("chili paste mixed with dried shrimp paste")...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.