/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Jewish Official in French Mosque

islamirama
05-07-2008, 03:43 PM
Jewish Official in French Mosque
http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...News/NWELayout

PARIS — Bernard Koch, a Jew, will be striving to bridge gaps between Jewish and Muslims in France from his office in the Islamic center in Drancy, a commune in the northeastern suburbs of Paris. "I will do my best to serve both minorities and bring them closer," a moved Koch told IslamOnline.net.
Koch has been appointed by the Islamic Cultural Society in Drancy as foreign relations officer.
He will have his office in the second floor of the two-story building that also houses the society's mosque.
"I will have an office affiliated to the mosque from where I will manage Muslim-Jewish relations," said in excited Koch.
"My goal is to project the true image of Islam as opposed to the misconceptions propagated in the media."
Drancy, a commune located nearly 10 kilometers from the center of Paris, has 12,000-Muslim and 2,000-Jewish communities. It has a total population of 64,000.
Koch recognizes that the appointment could upset some people. "I'm sure there will be obstacles along the way not just from Muslims but Jews as well. But I plan to keep an open mind."
France is home to the biggest Muslim minority in Europe, estimated at 5-6 million. It also has 600,000 Jews, Western Europe's biggest Jewish community.
Gesture
The appointment of Koch to such a post was warmly welcomed by all parties. A special ceremony held on April 15 was attended by Drancy municipal chief Jean-Christophe Lagarde, the head of the Jewish community Jacques Aboucaya and Islamic Cultural Society chairman Hassan Chalghoumi.
"We see no problem in appointing Koch for the post," Chalghoumi, also the mosque imam, told IOL. "He is a man of high caliber and is known for his devotion to work and ability to work with others."
He indicated that Koch will have his office, just like the Society's other administration officials, in the second floor of the meeting.
"The first floor is kept for the mosque."
Chalghoumi recognizes that the unprecedented step coincides with increasing tension in the Middle East and mounting Israeli attacks against Palestinians.
"Our aim is to improve the image of the Muslim minority and highlight Islam's openness to followers of other faiths."
A galaxy of prominent Muslim scholars and interfaith experts issued in February an open letter for the world's Jewish community calling for a dialogue to improve relations between Jews and Muslims who have common ground of shared beliefs.
"Drancy has a symbolic importance in the history of French Jews," notes Imam Chalghoumi.
The area is home to an infamous prison camp that was used to hold Jews before being deported to the extermination camps under Nazi Germany.
Imam Chalghoumi said Muslims and Jews in Drancy enjoy good, friendly relations.
"A Jewish delegation visited our mosque a week ago," he recalled.
"I had earlier paid a visit to Drancy synagogue and delivered a speech on tolerance and coexistence in Islam."

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
north_malaysian
05-08-2008, 07:59 AM
Nowadays... lots and lots of Jews are friendly towards Muslims, supporting the independence of Palestine and prefer to remember Nakba instead of celebrating 60 yrs of Israel.

I've met many of them in the facebook.

There are many Judeo-Islam groups too....

Ninth_Scribe
05-11-2008, 06:11 PM
I think it's important to remember that these are all members of the same family tree. They have taken different routes in their journey so they do not share the same history ~ but they do share the same faith. Judaism is an older branch and generation. Islam is a younger blossom but the grand-father should not fight with his grandson. What we have here is a very minor generation gap and it's long past the time they should each show each other more respect... namely because the world is watching.

The Ninth Scribe

north_malaysian
05-12-2008, 12:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ninth_Scribe
but the grand-father should not fight with his grandson.

The Ninth Scribe
who are the parents then?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-12-2008, 01:01 AM
:sl: ^^ Lol haha.

This is a good start I think, InshaAllah.

:w:

kirk
05-12-2008, 03:02 AM
Sonce 9/11 here have been many stories of Jews and Christain clerics visiting mosques in the name of inter faith harmony.

There have been NO stories of Muslim clerics visiting Jewish temples or Christian churches.

There can be no interfaith faith harmony till they do!

k

north_malaysian
05-12-2008, 04:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by kirk
Sonce 9/11 here have been many stories of Jews and Christain clerics visiting mosques in the name of inter faith harmony.

There have been NO stories of Muslim clerics visiting Jewish temples or Christian churches.

k
Jerusalem Muftis have been attending Christmas Midnite Mass at Bethlehem for decades

north_malaysian
05-12-2008, 05:02 AM

Iraqi Muslims attending Christmas mass.
http://gatewaypundit.blogspot.com/20...tmas-2007.html

In Kosova:

http://www.essex.ac.uk/armedcon/story_id/000164.html

north_malaysian
05-12-2008, 05:04 AM
Islamist MP visit a Malaysian Church
http://anilnetto.com/2008/04/05/pas-...tholic-church/

Muslim Knight
05-12-2008, 12:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
who are the parents then?
Isn't it obvious? Ibraheem/Abraham alayhi salaam (upon him be peace) was, and he was a Haneef (monotheist).

S_87
05-12-2008, 12:53 PM

k
theres a muslim gathering at our local cathedral this month...

Muezzin
05-12-2008, 01:59 PM

k
So obviously, because something is not reported, and because you didn't hear about it, it didn't happen. Are you Pakistani? :p

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-12-2008, 03:38 PM
^^Lol. Hey thats stereotyping =/

Originally Posted by kirk

k

What an ignorant statement! Seriously.

Ninth_Scribe
05-12-2008, 06:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Knight
Isn't it obvious? Ibraheem/Abraham alayhi salaam (upon him be peace) was, and he was a Haneef (monotheist).
Thank you.

Izyan
05-12-2008, 06:16 PM
I think it's important to remember that these are all members of the same family tree. They have taken different routes in their journey so they do not share the same history ~ but they do share the same faith. Judaism is an older branch and generation. Islam is a younger blossom but the grand-father should not fight with his grandson. What we have here is a very minor generation gap and it's long past the time they should each show each other more respect... namely because the world is watching.

The Ninth Scribe
Strangely you left out the other people of the Book.

Ninth_Scribe
05-12-2008, 06:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Izyan
Strangely you left out the other people of the Book.
How can I leave them out? They're in-between the pages. What's important to remember is who's family this is, and what is expected from them. They're meant to shine as a light upon the world. It's a serious responsiblilty and as such, these disputes and challenges (which are normal) should be dealt with in private, to offer more dignity to the family as a whole. I am not happy to see dirty laundry being shrewn about the land in public, like some sleazy tabloid scandal. I expect the scholars to behave like scholars and do what they must to resolve their misunderstandings because that's all they are. A little less taunting and a little more dialogue will prove that point. No one will turn to ash by entering a house of God. I don't care if the curtains on the windows are blue or pink. I don't care what the measurement of the altar is or whether or not you kneel or you stand. It only matters that you come and honor the head of the house and who ever it is who keeps it, regardless of which generation of the family they come from.

The Ninth Scribe

Izyan
05-12-2008, 08:14 PM
How can I leave them out? They're in-between the pages. What's important to remember is who's family this is, and what is expected from them. They're meant to shine as a light upon the world. It's a serious responsiblilty and as such, these disputes and challenges (which are normal) should be dealt with in private, to offer more dignity to the family as a whole. I am not happy to see dirty laundry being shrewn about the land in public, like some sleazy tabloid scandal. I expect the scholars to behave like scholars and do what they must to resolve their misunderstandings because that's all they are. A little less taunting and a little more dialogue will prove that point. No one will turn to ash by entering a house of God. I don't care if the curtains on the windows are blue or pink. I don't care what the measurement of the altar is or whether or not you kneel or you stand. It only matters that you come and honor the head of the house and who ever it is who keeps it, regardless of which generation of the family they come from.

The Ninth Scribe
But who's "Head" of the house is a big point of contention is it not? Namely the Messiah. Where Christians believe that Isa is a part of God, muslims believe this is idol worship and polytheism. We have a poster here who makes it a point of throwing this in christians face every third post. How can dialogue continue when some muslims only care about scoring silly "gotcha" point

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-12-2008, 08:18 PM
Its not just Muslims. Don't generalize.

Izyan
05-12-2008, 08:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jazzy
Its not just Muslims. Don't generalize.
Is this not an Islamic site? When a Jew comes here and belittle christians for worshiping this silly Man/God then we can have a discussion on Judaic tolerence.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Your still generalizing. One poster doesnt mean all! And we always get trolls in here preaching and belittling us. And yes we do have active ignorant posters, who also aren't Muslim. So please, save it.

P.S. stick to the topic.

Izyan
05-12-2008, 08:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jazzy
Your still generalizing. One poster doesnt mean all! And we always get trolls in here preaching and belittling us. And yes we do have active ignorant posters, who also aren't Muslim. So please, save it.

P.S. stick to the topic.
Sister calm your nerves. I did not say all, I said some, one in particular.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-12-2008, 08:45 PM
I'm calm =/ Sorry if umm it sounded loud :O

But still, its not just Muslims. I know that for a fact. Especially lately, we've had some.

wth1257
05-12-2008, 08:54 PM

k
:?

A good thing is a good thing, the Jews and Muslims are opening up to each other, why does it mater who started it, they could have said no, but didin't, they seem to be welcoming him with open arms, as for MUslims initiating interfaith issues, I've know some who are very active in it, my English teacher in High School(Muslim), drove off to get a Christian sect(like Amish light, so no cars) after the Hurricane, and knew the local Rabi etc.

north_malaysian
05-13-2008, 12:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Knight
Ninth scribe said that Judaism is the grandfather and Islam is the grandson... that's why I asked who are the parents? :D

north_malaysian
05-13-2008, 12:53 AM
I've seen an Israeli movie entitled "Women", of which during the Ottoman ruled Palestine, Muslims were tomb keepers of King David tomb... and they attend King David celebration.

north_malaysian
05-13-2008, 01:24 AM
Some Muslim-Jewish groups on facebook

* No Time to Celebrate: Jews Remember the Nakba
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=13109589953

* Juifs, Musulmans Faisons La Paix!
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6232532563

* Muslims and Jews: We Don't Eat Pork
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2210628685

* The Jewish Muslims Alliance
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2214832295

Ninth_Scribe
05-13-2008, 02:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Izyan
But who's "Head" of the house is a big point of contention is it not? Namely the Messiah. Where Christians believe that Isa is a part of God, muslims believe this is idol worship and polytheism. We have a poster here who makes it a point of throwing this in christians face every third post. How can dialogue continue when some muslims only care about scoring silly "gotcha" point
The Head of the House... is God. A "messiah" doesn't change that since his purpose is to re-unite the whole of Abraham's family under God. My point is that this family is at an age now where a messiah should not have to arrive to explain to the family... how to be a family. You're not small children fighting over your toys and that behavior does not set a good example for the rest of the world. You're meant to be a light and I expect you to shine. If not for yourselves.. at least for them.

As for the Christian belief about Isa, that should have been explained by the christian scholars, what "son of God" actually meant, and how Constantine merged traditions, but all that confusion was caused in Rome, not in the Middle East and Jewish scholars did try to correct the information but when they tried, their villages were destroyed. I'm hoping that this period in time will allow for a more rational approach to the subject of how and why the traditions of Mithras and Isa were merged and why the title Bene Elohim should not be confused with the title Messiah.

Once again, from the records that I've inspected, this is yet another silly misunderstanding, hardly worthy of a war.

The Ninth Scribe

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.