/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Aqeeqah - invitees and gifts

MaiCarInMtl
05-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Assalamu Alaikum everyone,

I hope I am posting this in the right section. If not, please move it to the right one. (I appologize in advance if I am in the wrong section)

I just received an invitation from a good acquaintance of mine who is expecting her 6th child in less than a month. She invited people to come visit once the child is born for the "aqeeqah".

Being a non-muslim, I am unaware of what happens at one of these gatherings but I would really like to attend. All I know is that it is usually 7 days after the child is born, hair is cut and a lamb (or 2) is sacrificed and the meat is shared.

Do guests bring gifts? If so, what kind of gifts? I'd feel bad showing up empty handed - I do want to congratulate the family on their latest addition.

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd al-Baari
05-08-2008, 06:24 PM
Greetings & Peace,

It really depends on what culture your friend is from, many asians family hold events where the meat is cooked and served as dinner, and in other cultures the meat is distributed.

Do guests bring gifts? If so, what kind of gifts? I'd feel bad showing up empty handed - I do want to congratulate the family on their latest addition.
Again in an asian culture gifts are usually given, usually money or clothes/toys for the baby. :)

Hope it helps, and please don't hesitate to ask, if you have any more questions.

Allah knows best.
:peace:

MaiCarInMtl
05-09-2008, 02:58 AM
Thank you for your reply Abdul.

The wife is from South America (a convert) and the husband is Canadian so I am really not sure what tradition they would follow. I even asked some Muslim acquaintances and they had no clue what I was talking about.

I think I will bring a simple toy and some cute clothes for the gift. I just really am unsure what to expect! But I really can't wait to see the baby!

'Abd al-Baari
05-09-2008, 02:59 PM
Greetings,

I think I will bring a simple toy and some cute clothes for the gift. I just really am unsure what to expect! But I really can't wait to see the baby!
That should be fine! :) Best of luck.

:peace:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
05-12-2008, 07:17 PM
I think this is the equivalent of a baby shower for you guys except with Muslims it is done after the baby arrives instead of before, thus you'd purchase exactly what you would have otherwise if you were invited to a baby shower instead of what we call a 'siboo3'.. most people get gifts for baby.. I'd personally get gift for mommy =)
spa goodies is always nice :lol:
it is totally left to your discretion though...

peace

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.