/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Iraqi army says Iraqi al-Qaida leader arrested

Izyan
05-08-2008, 09:05 PM
Iraqi army says Iraqi al-Qaida leader arrested

BAGHDAD - The leader of al-Qaida in Iraq, Abu Ayyub al-Masri, was arrested in the northern city of Mosul, the Iraqi Defense Ministry spokesman said Thursday. Mohammed al-Askari said the arrest of al-Masri, also known as Abu Hamza al-Muhajir, was confirmed to him by the Iraqi commander of the province. There was no immediate confirmation or comment from U.S. forces.

News of the arrest was also reported by Iraqi state television.

"The commander of Ninevah military operations informed me that Iraqi troops captured Abu Hamza al-Muhajir the leader of al-Qaida in Iraq," al-Askari told The Associated Press by telephone.

He did not have any further details nor did he say when the al-Qaida leader was arrested. According to unconfirmed reports, however, he was caught Thursday evening in the Tayran area in central Mosul, 225 miles northwest of Baghdad. Mosul is currently a major battleground for U.S. forces and al-Qaida.

Al-Masri took over al-Qaida in Iraq after Abu Musab al-Zarqawi was killed June 7, 2006 in a U.S. airstrike northeast of Baghdad.

U.S. officials said al-Masri joined an extremist group led by al-Qaida's No.2 official. He later joined al-Qaida training camps in Afghanistan in 1999 and trained as a car bombing expert before traveling to Iraq after the U.S.-led invasion in 2003.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080508/...nfluyKvpWs0NUE

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ninth_Scribe
05-10-2008, 07:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Izyan
Iraqi army says Iraqi al-Qaida leader arrested

BAGHDAD - The leader of al-Qaida in Iraq, Abu Ayyub al-Masri, was arrested in the northern city of Mosul, the Iraqi Defense Ministry spokesman said Thursday. Mohammed al-Askari said the arrest of al-Masri, also known as Abu Hamza al-Muhajir, was confirmed to him by the Iraqi commander of the province. There was no immediate confirmation or comment from U.S. forces.

Al-Masri took over al-Qaida in Iraq after Abu Musab al-Zarqawi was killed June 7, 2006 in a U.S. airstrike northeast of Baghdad.

U.S. officials said al-Masri joined an extremist group led by al-Qaida's No.2 official. He later joined al-Qaida training camps in Afghanistan in 1999 and trained as a car bombing expert before traveling to Iraq after the U.S.-led invasion in 2003.
Well, for reasons I won't get into here, I do not trust any of the intel the United States publishes concerning this group or the members in it. They should just consider themselves very lucky that it was the Iraqis (not the Americans) who captured Abu Hamza al Muhajir. If the report is true, having and holding are not quite the same thing ~ and I seriously doubt the ISI would allow this to go unpunished.

The Ninth Scribe

barney
05-10-2008, 07:51 PM
Cant think of a reason why they would pull a "Al Sharaf" and tell lies about capturing someone.
Excellent news Yay!!!!! for the Iraqi's!

jzcasejz
05-10-2008, 08:21 PM
This must be the 100th time good ol' Hamza got captured. :rollseyes

Iraq al-Qaeda chief not captured

Masri is believed to have formed al-Qaeda's first cell in Baghdad

The United States military in Iraq says a man detained in the northern city of Mosul is not in fact the leader of al-Qaeda in Iraq.

An earlier statement from the Iraqi defence ministry said that al-Masri had been captured.

But an American military spokeswoman, Peggy Kageleiry, said Abu Ayyub al-Masri had not been arrested.

She said confusion had arisen because a man with a similar name to the al-Qaeda in Iraq leader had been detained.

Al-Qaeda in Iraq has been blamed for or has claimed responsibility for some of the bloodiest insurgent attacks in Iraq since the US-led invasion in 2003.

Members of al-Qaeda are believed to have regrouped in the northern city since the beginning of the US troops "surge" last year. Al-Masri is believed to have helped Abu Musab al-Zarqawi form the first al-Qaeda cell in Baghdad. Zarqawi was killed in June 2006. In April 2007, he was named "minister of war" in the 10-man cabinet of the Islamic State of Iraq, an umbrella organisation of Sunni militant groups.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/7391423.stm

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
barney
05-10-2008, 09:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by jzcasejz
This must be the 100th time good ol' Hamza got captured. :rollseyes

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/7391423.stm
Bah, I stand corrected. The Iraqi's cant even identify their number one enemy!

Shhesh!
Well the ones I worked with were not so numpty.

The_Prince
05-11-2008, 05:10 AM
lol yes he will be captured again, lol it is funny as to how many times he has been captured already. :)

Ninth_Scribe
05-11-2008, 05:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by The_Prince
lol yes he will be captured again, lol it is funny as to how many times he has been captured already. :)
I don't find the news amusing. I remember the last time I shot my mouth off about how the U.S. kept catching and killing everyone but Abu Musab al Zarqawi. I should not have taunted them ~ obviously Allah was not pleased with my arrogance. I won't make that mistake again!

The Ninth Scribe

barney
05-11-2008, 09:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ninth_Scribe
I don't find the news amusing. I remember the last time I shot my mouth off about how the U.S. kept catching and killing everyone but Abu Musab al Zarqawi. I should not have taunted them ~ obviously Allah was not pleased with my arrogance. I won't make that mistake again!

The Ninth Scribe

dont beat yourself up abut it matey. ZaK was killed because Allah willed it, and he perhaps chose the Americans as his tool.

Ninth_Scribe
05-12-2008, 06:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by barney
dont beat yourself up abut it matey. ZaK was killed because Allah willed it, and he perhaps chose the Americans as his tool.
Well, far be it for me to question Allah's judgement, but it still doesn't please me.

The Ninth Scribe

Izyan
05-12-2008, 07:51 PM
Well, far be it for me to question Allah's judgement, but it still doesn't please me.

The Ninth Scribe
Allah cares not what pleases you.

barney
05-12-2008, 08:06 PM
Makes you wonder though. If Allah wasnt wanting him alive, its possible that he was in some way not doing Allahs work. Allah could have cosen the Iraqi Army as the method of his death or just killed him on the spot himself. Perhaps using the Americans was a message of some sort?

Izyan
05-12-2008, 08:22 PM
Makes you wonder though. If Allah wasnt wanting him alive, its possible that he was in some way not doing Allahs work. Allah could have cosen the Iraqi Army as the method of his death or just killed him on the spot himself. Perhaps using the Americans was a message of some sort?
With religion any outcome can be explained to justify your point of view. Here's some examples:

AMZ was killed by the Americans as his punishment for not obey Allah's Laws

AMZ was a great leader and Allah allowed the Americans to rid them of one of the only men able to destroy the occupation as a punishment to the Iraqis

AMZ was killed by the Americans as proof that he was not a true soldier of Allah and that Americans are truly a tool of Allah to rid them of Saddam

Personally my favorite: Allah was tired of AMZ and his men raping and killing people that refused to join him and took him out post haste.

wth1257
05-13-2008, 02:10 PM

The Ninth Scribe

why not?

aamirsaab
05-13-2008, 02:26 PM
Erm...she never said He did....

Well, all I know is that God/Allah is just and in the end everyone gets their dues (whether that be in this life or the hereafter). So that's enough for me :D.

Ninth_Scribe
05-13-2008, 04:29 PM
True. There is divine judgment in all these matters and it stands whether we comprehend it or not.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.