/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Oppression

gladTidings
05-09-2008, 04:43 PM
:sl:

Hope your all well inshAllah.

Just want your thoughts on something. Can a person be considered oppressed if the person oppressing them doesnt always realise they are oppressing them? Oppression in the form of constant discouragement, disapproval, critism and intimidation.

Ws.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ali.
05-09-2008, 04:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by peãrl
:sl:

Hope your all well inshAllah.

Just want your thoughts on something. Can a person be considered oppressed if the person oppressing them doesnt always realise they are oppressing them? Oppression in the form of constant discouragement, disapproval, critism and intimidation.

Ws.
I don't know, well not really I don't think. But someone always has to think before taking action, always.

gladTidings
05-09-2008, 05:15 PM
[QUOTE=Ali.;939227]I don't know, well not really I don't think [QUOTE]

Ok. How about if they have some idea of their actions but they dont realise the extent of damage.

Ali.
05-09-2008, 05:38 PM
[QUOTE=peãrl;939248][QUOTE=Ali.;939227]I don't know, well not really I don't think

Ok. How about if they have some idea of their actions but they dont realise the extent of damage.
To have an idea of your actions you have an idea of the causes of your actions, i.e. damaging, encouraging, etc. If they do not realise the damage they are making then I think you could criticise them for not thinking about the effects of the action thoroughly.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
gladTidings
05-11-2008, 01:08 PM
Salam. Any more thoughts on this? or is it a silly question?

Ws.

Muezzin
05-11-2008, 04:15 PM
Is someone bossing you about or are you bossing someone about? :p

gladTidings
05-11-2008, 09:58 PM
I think you might find it was a little bit more than bossing around. I have just realised that I have spent the last 1 year being mentally controlled due to fear of intimidation and the likes. Bringing myself to realise that what I was put through was not acceptable has been a painful journey. Those that supported me assured me that I did not deserve this treatment and did not have to put up with it. I have had to suppress myself and behave in a way acceptable according to my bully and therefore have felt oppressed.

Now, I have told myself many times that I forgive the bully but a little trigger brings everything back and makes me question whether I still have feelings of disliking (I don’t want to use the word hate). My excuse for her now is that she didn’t realise how she made me feel and how it impacted my self esteem. So that I don’t blame her, learn to forgive her and move on.

I know in part, I was to blame because I allowed myself to be dominated and was never strong enough to speak against her when I finally realised that I was being treated unfairly. But I have learnt from my deficiencies and I want to be able to forgive her.

barney
05-11-2008, 10:08 PM
If they dont think they are oppressed then no.
People will sometimes claim that Islam oppresses women. As long as the woman dosnt feel oppressed, then she isnt.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.