/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Praying While wearing makeup or nail polish

innocent
05-11-2008, 04:16 PM
Assalamalaikum.

Can someone settle an argument between me and my friend. She used to be married to a muslim and she converted and she s now divorced but still a muslim. She was telling me about how she used to be about to pray and her husband used to say you cant pray like that take your make up off first. There was nobody else in the house except her husband so why should she not be able to pray while wearing makeup. I didnt think there was anything wrong with this as I have done it many times. Is there actually anything that says we must remove all makeup before praying. Obviously for wuzu yes but I would have thought it was OK to pray with it on.

Also I was invited to a Quran reading once and one of the ladies there was wearing nail polish. Some of the other ladies asked her is that allowed? and she said yes cos she done her wuzu at home and then put the nail polish on so her wuzu would be valid and there is no restriction on actually wearing the nail polish. That made sense to me.

I know the wuzu is not valid if you do it with nailpolish on so before answering please read the question properly. This is not about the validity of wuzu but the validity of namaz/salat.

Can anyone shed any light on this?
Thanks

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Aaliyah~
05-11-2008, 04:49 PM
all i can say is that it makes sense , as long as the wudhu requirements are met, it shouldn't be a problem....
but i'm no expert,
do take advice from a more knowledgeable person.

ummAbdillah
05-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Types of make-up that affect wudoo and ghusl

Question:
I have been told that a woman cannot put nailpolish because the wadoo is not done with it. How far is this true. Can she wear nailpolish (or any sort of makeup and perfo9rm her wadoo and salat.)

Answer:

All Praise be to Allaah.

Some powders and cosmetics that are used as makeup form a insulating layer over the skin and prevent water from reaching it, while others do not prevent water from reaching the skin.

If a cosmetic item insulates the skin (e.g., nailpolish as asked in the question) then it is not permissible to perform wudoo' or ghusl over it, for any act of worship that requires wudoo or ghusl (such as prayer, etc.). Allaah the most glorified and Almighty says (interpretation of the meaning):

"O you who believe! When you prepare for prayer, wash your faces and hands …." Al-Maa'idah (5:6)

Washing implies that water must actually reach the part of the body being washed. Based on this observation, anything that prevents water from reaching the skin must be removed, otherwise purification will not be achieved, resulting in the prayer being void.

If the cosmetic item does not insulate the skin and does not prevent water from reaching it (e.g., dying by henna or similar things which do not insulate the skin), then wudoo' or ghusl may be performed with it.

Hence, dyes are of two type: the first is that which is waterproof, such as nailpolish, which must be removed before performing wudoo' or ghusl. The second is that which does not form an impermeable barrier to water, such as henna dye, and hence does not hurt the wudoo or ghusl.

And Allah the most glorified and Almighty knows what is most correct and best.

References:

Al-Mufassal fi Ahkaam Al-Mar’ah, Abdul Karim Zaidan, 1/84-85.

Fataawi Al-Mar’ah Al-Muslimah, Shaykh Muhammad bin Salih Al-Uthaymeen, 1/220.

Ahkaam Tajmeel Al-Nisaa’ fi Al-Shari‘ah Al-Islamiyyah, Izdihar Al-Madani.

Zeenat Al-Mar’ah bayn Al-Tibb wa Al-Shar‘

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid
http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref=261&ln=eng

Question:
Is it allowed in Islam to say one prayers with Nail-color on ?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

It is permissible for a woman to colour her nails for the purpose of adornment, with materials that do not cause harm, and there is nothing wrong with her praying with that, unless it is a substance that prevents water from reaching what is beneath it, in which case wudoo’ and ghusl are not valid unless it is removed. If the wudoo’ is not valid then the prayer is not valid.

It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 5/218:

“If the colour is impermeable, then wudoo’ is not valid unless it is removed before doing wudoo’. If it is not impermeable, then wudoo’ is valid, as is the case with henna.”

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref...=nail%20polish

Intisar
05-11-2008, 08:10 PM
:sl: A reliable source has been given; thread closed. :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.