/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Mahram - How old must he be?

AnonymousPoster
05-13-2008, 08:20 AM
:sl:

how old must a mahram be, to be counted as a mahram? lets say my bro - how old must he be before I can go with him to Hajj? ihope u get where I am coming from?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Snowflake
05-13-2008, 08:54 AM
asalam alaikum wr wb

The pre-conditions of a mahram

Question: Is it possible for my son who is nine years of age to be my mahram, since i travelled with him; Is there anything wrong in that?

Response: Regarding the mahram, the Scholars have mentioned that two conditions must be met:

1) The coming of age (puberty);

2) Mental awareness.

So, whoever has not yet attained puberty then it is not correct for him to be a mahram; and whoever is not yet mentally aware then it is not correct for him to be a mahram since the intent behind the (presence of a) mahram is protection of the wife and maintaining her and preventing any attack upon her. (Clearly) the young child is unable to undertake any of these (roles).

So I say, now the woman - as per the question - has reached her destination, so she is not to return to her husband until he comes and collects her and takes her (back) with him. Alternatively, she can travel with one of her mahrams (father, brother, etc.) - from amongst those who have attained puberty and are mentally aware. As for the young child who is nine years of age, then he cannot be her mahram.

Shaykh Ibn 'Uthaymeen
I'laam al-Mu'aasireen bi-Fataawa Ibn 'Uthaymeen - Page 369
http://www.fatwa-online.com/fataawa/...am/0080314.htm

wa alaikum asalam wr wb.

asma2
05-13-2008, 09:09 AM
i think dat kid should be older den 12

AnonymousPoster
05-13-2008, 09:26 AM
:sl:

wot exactly do u mean by puberty for boys?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Snowflake
05-13-2008, 10:43 AM
asalam alaikum wr wb,

Puberty - Boys

Puberty is known in Islamic law as Al-bulugh, or Tamyeez, (coming of age as a man and woman). There are three signs of puberty (Bulugh):

1. Discharging semen as a result of wet dreams, known as Inzaalul-manyyi. Allah (SWT) States: "But when the children among you come of age, let them also ask for permission, as do those senior to them in age..." (Al-Qur'an, 24-59)
In a hadith, the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said: "Friday bath
(Ghuslul-Jum'ah) is mandatory upon anyone who has experienced a wet dream." (Bukhari/Muslim) The point in this hadith is that Islamic obligations are not incumbent on anyone until they reach the age of Bulugh.

2. Appearance of hair around the pubic area is another sign of puberty. If a person sees that even without wet dreams, he or she has attained puberty. This may happen at the age of thirteen or fourteen, and parents should inform girls and boys about these signs.

3. Reaching 15 years of age: When the person reaches 15, he or she is a man or a woman, and anything that is obligatory on a man or woman is obligatory on him or her from that time on.
In a hadith reported by Abdullah Bin Umar (RAA), he said: "My parents brought me to the Messenger of Allah on the eve of the Battle of Uhud and I was fourteen years old, so the Prophet (PBUH) did not enlist me in fighting." But a year later in the Battle of Al-Khandaqq (Trench), I was fifteen, so this time the Prophet (PBUH) enlisted me in the combat." (Muslim)
This hadith indicates the age of 15 is the legal age for a Muslim boy or girl to be responsible for his or her religion as well as worldly responsibilities. Some of us, who reside in the western world, seem to think adulthood depends on State laws. In some states it is 18, while in others it is 19, or 21, and so on. This is a very serious mistake, as the juvenile will reach puberty (Bulugh) and adulthood, but go on without observing his or her Islamic duties, such as Salaat, fasting, or being restrained from that which is prohibited.
SOURCE http://www.contactpakistan.com/Commu.../mandatory.htm

wa alaikum asalam wr wb.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.