/* */

PDA

View Full Version : antislam: Muslim girl's hijab airbrushed from photo?

islamirama
05-14-2008, 11:48 AM
Muslim girl's headscarf airbrushed

Jane Metlikovec - June 05, 2007

A MUSLIM schoolgirl's traditional headscarf was airbrushed from a class photograph, a parliamentary inquiry has heard.

A state parliamentary inquiry into dress codes and school uniforms yesterday heard several Muslim students had been discriminated against because of their dress.

Islamic Council of Victoria executive committee member Sherene Hassan said the student wore her hijab in a class photograph, but it was airbrushed so it would not stand out.

"You can imagine that was quite demoralising," Ms Hassan said.

Ms Hassan also told the inquiry one Victorian student was told she would not be admitted to school if she wore her hijab.

"That individual was so keen to attend that school she decided not to wear her headscarf," she said.

While the majority of schools supported students who wore the headgear, some teachers needed more understanding of Islam, she said.
The inquiry is considering whether school uniforms should be made compulsory.

Source: http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...4-2862,00.html

Update:
The above news story was on Yahoo news. I checked it out this morning and it was gone. If you Google this news story, you will find this written below the title:

“A Victorian Muslim schoolgirl had her traditional headscarf airbrushed from a class photograph in just one example of the discrimination Islamic students …”

That was a part of the deleted article. I guess someone was freaked out because the article repeated the phrase “discrimination against Muslims in Australia”

Why “Yahoo News” deleted this news story in the first day it was published?

Here is the deleted link:
http://au.messages.yahoo.com/news/top-stories/692018/

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
------
05-14-2008, 11:53 AM
:salamext:

Despicable :muddlehea

Souljette
05-14-2008, 12:05 PM
soo stupid and ridiculous

crayon
05-14-2008, 12:49 PM
This is so insulting. Imagine a photo of a girl had had the clothes airbrushed off of it, with a nude body replacing them. That most definitely wouldn't be okay, why should this be?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muezzin
05-14-2008, 01:00 PM
Surely it would have been cheaper to just leave the photograph untouched? What a silly thing to airbrush out.

Zits, on the other hand...

Umar001
05-14-2008, 01:07 PM
So did they put fake hair on her or just airbrushed it bald? Or what? Thats not only rude but people would think that she had no hijab on thinking she is a hipocrate or something.

crayon
05-14-2008, 01:45 PM
I'm pretty sure she would have stood out more if she was bald, so I'm assuming they put fake hair on..

Umar001
05-14-2008, 01:48 PM
I wonder if they got her hair right, I mean, who decided what type of hair she got, this is just amazing, I cant believe it is real.

MTAFFI
05-14-2008, 02:47 PM
what a ridiculous thing to do

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-14-2008, 02:52 PM
:sl:

Wt...this is so stupid. How looww can u go? Oh very low....lol.

Izyan
05-14-2008, 03:12 PM
Extremely misguided step. It seems muslims are having a harder time in Europe than in the US.

truemuslim
05-14-2008, 04:21 PM
wow this is so stupid, they wasted so much money than they already would have then. lol.
and they wasted time fitting the hair into the perfect way...wow.
thats stupid. theyr stupid.

Fishman
05-14-2008, 04:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Izyan
Extremely misguided step. It seems muslims are having a harder time in Europe than in the US.
Yes, in the right-wing European state of Australia things are difficult... :D
:w:

Izyan
05-14-2008, 04:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
Yes, in the right-wing European state of Australia things are difficult... :D
I didn't realise this was in Australia because I didn't follow the link. That being said it seems that most of these stories come out of Western Europe. We have HUGE muslim populations in Texas, Detroit, NY, and Chicago and these issues don't seem to arise.

Fishman
05-14-2008, 05:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Izyan
I didn't realise this was in Australia because I didn't follow the link. That being said it seems that most of these stories come out of Western Europe. We have HUGE muslim populations in Texas, Detroit, NY, and Chicago and these issues don't seem to arise.
I think this is because of the attitudes towards religion in romantic (Spain, France, Italy and the low countries) Europe. In these countries, the enlightenment and the revolutions pushed religion to the sidelines and made it something to be looked down on, whlist promoting nationalism and making foreginers an enemy too. Hence how a group of largely foregin people who practice a religion that is quite opposed to secularisation of society are discriminated against.

However, in the Germanic countries such as Scandinavia, Britian (and her American colonies) and Germany, these revolutions did not happen, and religion is more important, leading to less nationalistic discrimination.

There are some exceptions in my theory, such as Denmark and Australia, but in general I think its true.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.